Game 53: Rangers overpower Canadiens

Canadiens goalie Cristobal Huet flat on his back. Puck in his net. Say no more.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

Updated by Kevin Mio; Links updated at 7:50 a.m., Feb. 4

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone

It started well this afternoon for the Canadiens as they grabbed a 3-0 lead on the New York Rangers with a little less than six minutes gone in the second period. But then it all fell apart.

New York scored five unanswered goals and took control of the Bell Centre game after Montreal’s third goal, beating their hosts 5-3 and denying the Canadiens a chance to close to within one point of the Ottawa Senators atop the Northeast Division.

The Canadiens got first period power-play goals from Andrei Markov and Alex Kovalev, and Sergei Kostistyn scored with a quick shot on a oenalty shot as the Habs looked to be in complete control with a 3-0 lead 5:40 into the second period.

But the Rangers weren’t about to go quietly. The scored three goals in a span of seven minutes to tie the game 3-3 before the end of the second period.

Michal Rozsival, Brandon Dubinsky and Scott Gomez were the goal scorers for the Rangers, who outshot the Habs 12-9 in the second frame. They outshot the Canadiens 30-28 on the afternoon.

Chris Drury scored the eventual game winner midway through the third period and Martin Straka added the insurance goals with 90 seconds remaining.

The Canadiens were 3-for-4 on the power play and the Rangers went 1-for-4 with the man advantage. But the Canadiens were completely dominated at even strength as the Rangers scored four goals at 5-on-5, while the Canadiens couldn’t get anything past Henrik Lundqvist at even strength.

The Senators are the next visitors to the Bell Centre as they face the Canadiens on Tuesday night.

1. HKisses says:

wat is the password to this site i NEED to watch this ganme at work….www.justin.tv/habs31

2. Sulemaan says:

Agree that Millen is awful. Wasn’t very good as a goaltender either. I loved it when he played for the Nordiques and we shelled him out game after game. Him and that other fella Mylnikov.

3. Shiloh says:

I would bench Latenderness. Millen is horrible – just went on a long spiel about the Rangers going over the edge – only thing is, Montreal was getting the penalty. He is a brutal announcer – he always know everything even when he’s dead wrong.

4. gfunkdoc says:

Quite off topic, but…
    This week is gonna be huge. 2 games against Ottawa and one against the Leafs. With the way Ottawa has been playing things could look good at the end of the week.

5. Sulemaan says:

The announcers on NBC are awful. Thank God the game is on CBC. Even if they are all vigourously pro-Leaf.

With regards to Ryder, it’s too bad as I thought he actually played a good game yesterday. He stood up for Higgins and played weel but I guess who else would you bench from the forwards?

6. jimstr says:

guys do you listen radio? Danny Dubé from CKAC just told that Michael Ryder left the Bell Centre with ALL his GEARS!! omg.. whasapin?

7. Da Hema says:

You are right. I just checked that myself.
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

8. The Teacher says:

Kelly Hrudey is MILES ahead of Glen Healy and 80% of CBC on-air personnel. Everyone who watches the late games knows this. Please let him be working our game.

9. The Teacher says:

Wow, I had thought the Laughs spent 1500 hours encased, but I digress :)

10. showey47 says:

i think that pick was in last years draft, buts its too bad it wasn’t this seasons. It just would of added to the miserable existence known as the maple laffs

11. Da Hema says:

Good question. I thought they traded away their first-round for Toskala….
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

12. 46_14_27 says:

If the Habs have to give up anyone of the current line up save Brisbois, Dandenault, or Smolinski, it would be a horrible trade. Sundin would be the big scoring centre they’ve been looking for but not worth a costly trade. Gainey probably won’t pull the trigger on that one.

GO HABS GO

13. Infanteer says:

Danny Dubious? Probably nothing.

14. Da Hema says:

:-)
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

15. Hoegarden says:

Speaking of Sundin, along with Hossa, Marleau and other potential trades for the Habs;

I know that Vinny and Ovechkin are/were at the top of most wish lists to become Habs in the near future but a well known hockey analyst (Dany Dubé) brings the following arguing points on why Peter Forsberg would be a “big help” for the Habs. After reading his comments, I too agree. No need to explain his talent, leadership and dedication.
    1. His spouse is from Montréal,
    2. His agent is Don Baizley, who happens to be Koivu’s agent.
    3. His special Bauer skates, are made here in St-Jerome.
    4. He would not cost us any player(s).

So, the link to Montreal (1) does exist, if that is a requirement, and as we painfully witnessed in the past, he played many great games against our Habs with the Nordiques\Avalanche.

He has business deals in Philly, which is important, but many sports fans have read or heard a player, mostly in MLB or the NFL, mention that “Family\Home” were a deciding factor in signing a contract towards the end of their careers.

Assuming his ankle is up to it, I would welcome this great NHL Star to the Habs lineup.

16. Shiloh says:

Yesterday Al Strachan said Forsberg’s girlfriend was from Philly.

17. Habs_008 says:

Too much Maple Leaf Talk, but i did pick up the Toronto Sun today and there was an article about Sundin being Traded to Montreal for Higgins, Ryan McDonald and a First Rounder…….NO way is that gonna happen. Keep on Dreaming T.O.

18. originalsix says:

This is from the CKAC site:

“Contrairement à la rumeur qui circulait au Centre Bell dimanche matin, l’attaquant du Canadien Michael Ryder n’a pas été échangé. L’histoire voulait que Ryder avait été vu quittant l’édifice avec ses bâtons et sa poche d’équipement.”
    Ryder a été laissé de côté pour le match de dimanche face aux Rangers. L’entraîneur Guy Carbonneau l’a informé de sa décision seulement quelques minutes avant le début du match.

It says contrary to the rumor, Ryder hasn’t been traded. He was a very last minute decision to sit out the game by Guy Carbonneau.

19. Jim M says:

I thought everyone should know that a world record was broken in New York last week by a tantric master named Wim Hof when he stood engulfed in ice for 72 minutes. He broke the previous record of 60 minutes held by the 2006-07 maple leafs defence.

20. Will Longlade says:

Took them long enough to jump on the bandwagon. I guess when Fletcher stepped in they realized that the Leafs were ready to throw in the towel and start rebuilding a winner the old fashioned way.

21. gumper says:

Do the Leafs even have a first round pick next year?

22. Mike says:

9th place in the conferance would be nice :)

23. Mr Wonderful says:

I am hoping the Maple Laffs win just enough to finish out of the top 3 draft picks.

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
    Sir Winston Churchill

24. Hoegarden says:

One interesting stat I just read in La Presse;
    Habs were perfect against the Isles on the PK. 5 out of 5.
    They also have a perfect record in 8 of their last 10 games.
    They gave up only 3 goals on 32 opposing PP.

Opposing teams really have to pay attention when both Kovy and Pleks are on our PK.

25. WestHab says:

Please, Carbo, get Begin in the lineup.

26. WestHab says:

Kelly is my favourite CBC guy. He lives in Calgary so he’s miles away from the TO enviroment. Far more intelligent than Don.

27. moser17 says:

Kelly Hrudey said that, didn’t he? He seems to me less pro-Leafs than the rest of the CBC crew.

28. HKisses says:

Yea uur right ,because when i was watching the Laffs and Sens game. They had mentioned HABS alotttt. I hate CBC ,but hey its about time someone is realizing in other then Quebec that the HABS are no joke. Watch out laffs ,HAB are gonna put you back in the hole your in right now and even deeper . Maybe they will get the first round pick(or did they get rid of that) and sign him to a 25 year contract and no trade clause….Oops forgot no JFJ :(

29. Moey says:

I was pinching myself to make sure I was really hearing that, mind you I was pinching myself after we came back against the Devils too! i’m confident now that we are for real and I’m enjoying every minute of it.

30. RH says:

I can’t believe someone tracks puck-passing ability.

31. TommyB says:

…and speaking of the Toronto-obsessed media…

It was a surprise to hear during a CBC telecast yesterday afternoon, that Montreal is second only to Detroit in their puck-passing ability……It’s a sure sign that the laffs are officially dead in the water when these guys start noticing and praising the Habs.

32. Puck Bard says:

The Habs will end this run in one week being 4 points behind the Sens.

33. habfan53 says:

I can see it now Montreal beats Rangers 4-2 . TSN list Montreal 2nd (behind Detroit)in their power rankings and NO playrs in their top 25, WHAT A TEAM

idle – that brought a smile to my face. Even though everyone knows he would never come here it sure would change the dynamic of that line and our chances of going all the way this year. The reality is that we could offer him the 20% max for salary (pro-rated)and he wouldn’t cost us any assets and we wouldn’t have to pay him next year. Win-win-win. I sure hope we don’t land up playing Philly in the first round because there’s a good chance he will be there.

The Original 24 Cups

35. RH says:

Can you verify that he’s 100% healthy and not suffering any ill effects from his foot injury?

36. linp says:

Huet is not as sharp as it should be

Everyone talks about re-signing Huet (and I agree) but it will be interesting to see how negotiations go with Streit. He’s 30 years old so you could say he’s in the prime of his career. I love how he helps the club in a variety of roles. I’m sure that Gainey will work something out although both Huet and Streit are UFA’s so their will be other suitors. Both these guys can be signed now if Gainey had the inkling to do so. Ryder is the third UFA on the team.

Our RFA’s are Halak, Gorges, O’Byrne, Lapierre, Andrei K, and Grabovski. It will be interesting to see if Halak and Grabovski want to stay or return back home to Europe. It will also be interesting to see if any other team tries to pull a ‘Kevin Lowe’ and give an offer sheet to Andrei K. I would hope he would want to re-sign with us and play with his brother (not to mention Pleks and Kovalev)

There is a lot of talk about re-signing Komi, Pleks, and Higgins but I’m under the impression that the club can’t negotiate with them until July when they enter the final year of their contracts. I think it’s a rule of the CBA.

All these new contracts will set the tone for who will be here for the Cup run in the next few years. It all begins with Huet.

The Original 24 Cups

38. idle says:

hmm, you could try dropping Forsberg into that line…

Carbo was quoted as saying that Huet will start against the Rangers. If he honestly feels he can go back to back then why not. A nice winning streak right now takes a lot of pressure off the team come late March.

Once again, I say this with no vendetta or malice but is it wise to have Brisebois play back to back games? Why not insert Begin on the checking line and drop Streit back with Hamrlik? Brisebois is too experienced to be making all these lousy passes out of the defensive zone. Personlly, I feel he’s afraid of being hit so he gets rid of the puck as fast as he can with no regard for where the offensive players might be situated. Yet he continues to see icetime. I fear that O’Byrne might get sent back to Hamilton when he is ready to return.

Both Higgins and Ryder continue to be snakebitten although they are getting their chances. I thought Koivu played great yesterday but his linemates have to finish off their scoring chances. This has to be strictly a head game at this point in time. What other option is there but to play through it?

The Original 24 Cups

40. yehaken says:

Huet gets hurt too easily. Any goalie will tell you they want to play whenever possible, so I think Carbo needs to sit him.

41. Morency says:

It’ll likely be the same lineup this afternoon.

42. HKisses says:

To be honest, i wanna see Huet play today and aginst Ottawa and aginst Toronto(even though he has had bad luck with T.O games).Huet has alot of confidence now , maybe it will be a well deserved rest. I don’t think so , he had the all star to rest and he still is sharp i say go with Huet till he demands to take a rest. These points are very crucial and could be since the east is so close . Go Huet and GO HABS GO …..BTW Give Breezer a break ,yes he makes stupid mistakes but either way he is a HAB. Why don’t you tell him to get out of town when he scores a goal or makes nice passes…. Stop the Bashing and just enjoy watching the Habs…… Enjoy another afternoon game fellow Inside/Outers

43. coutNY says:

Is today the day Breezer goes back to press box and Streit back on D?

Note worthy: O’Byrne gets his cast off this week…

44. Morency says:

Is today the day we see the debut of Halak and rest Huet for Tuesday. I say play Huet today and let him go up against Ottawa red hot!

45. Sulemaan says:

Check out http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ they’re streaming it live there.
    But if you are in the US you might have a problem seeing it.

46. downeast hab says:

Its wonderful to see the habs playing well. They seem to have shaken off the playing at home jitters. Now if they can keep up the pace with a back to back win in two days would be smashing.Seems like confidence and emotion is everything in hockey.Also if a team can stay away from injuries they seem to prosper. Would be tickled pink if the habs won the next three games,especially against somedumb and the maple laffs.

47. The Teacher says:

OLEEEEE, OLEEEEEE, OLEEE OLE OLE OLEEEEE

48. The Teacher says:

AND OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TOP CORNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

49. The Teacher says:

Wow what a pass and what a way to get open Sergei K!

50. HKisses says:

damn thanks ne wayz guys…always got CJAD

51. The Teacher says:

Brandy

but he said yesterday was his last.

52. Sulemaan says:

thought it was brandy but it looks like they changed it…

53. Alirio says:

I hope you’re right about the win!

I’ll be in the last row of the Molson Ex Zone cheering my heart out.

I might even post a comment or two to Boone’s Blog from my iPhone…

GO HABS!!!

I’ve made a huge mistake…

54. HNS says:

Huet needs a vacation

55. Shiloh says:

We need an enforcer – whatever the cost. We were intimidated out of that win. And I’ve had enough of the favouritism as well. Latendresse is a borderline AHL player – slow, unable to check and unable to pass. He is brutal and won’t score unless it’s dished to him. We have to be able to dress a better player than him.

56. joe-hab-nuno says:

I know we’re not going to win all of them, but what I hate the most is when we try shutting down after a big lead. THEY HAD STOPPED PLAYING LIKE THAT AND GETTING GOOD RESULTS, THEY GO BACK TO TRYING AND PROTECT a 3 goal lead and look what happens.

57. idle says:

Nice mjames. Good to see some realistic reactions to a loss, even a tough one like this.

58. idle says:

It was nice to hear Gilette standing up and saying he thinks there should be more teams in Canada instead of the Canadian teams supporting US markets that can’t support themselves. Not enough Owners in the league are willing to say what they really think.

59. Larry says:

You cannot lose on home ice after building a 3-0 lead.
    This was very disappointing.

60. Shobud says:

Theres the reason that I am not a Huet fan.. He should have been a lot better than that.. You have a big lead and your goaler lets you down.. Then you get down and and don’t play as well.. Well they can’t win every game but I was hoping for todays game

61. mrstewart61 says:

Thank you!

62. Jim M says:

?? Is there any translatation to go along with your post??

63. mjames says:

Take a seat!

mjames

64. Jim M says:

Which games do you think they should lose?

If you have been watching results from other games this year, then you would see that other teams have also lost games that looked like a sure thing. It’s been going on all year, and it’s called parity. Detroit is the only elite team right now and even they’ve had problems with Chicago. And some teams simply have another one’s number.

I don’t understand why you feel that Thursday’s game against Washington should have been a WIN. Have you checked their record since Boudreault took over. And are you aware that they swept Ottawa this year?

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

To all Huet fans and defenders: The blame is 100% on your guy because if you want him to be #1 then he better defend a 3-0 lead. With the exception of may be the 3rd goal, he laid an egg on the other 4. We all saw this one coming except for Carbo. Said before and will say it again, Huet is good for 2-3 games and then he needs to sit down. This was a tragic loss for this young team but only time will tell if they can set it aside and move on. We wasted a big opportunity on taking over the division lead Tuesday night. Those things happen but a very tough loss nonetheless.

66. RudeMood19 says:

Huet, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: He fails to make the “big-time” saves in games. When the game is on the line, you need your goalie to make a save, no matter how difficult the shot is. I have to think Carey Price would have stopped some of those NYR shots that were goals.

As Shiloh said, we DEFINITELY need an enforcer. The Habs got bullied by the Rangers. That really has to be addressed by Gainey going forward because playoff hockey is a lot more brutal and tough than regular season hockey.

Oh, we got tortured 5 on 5 tonight. I think that relates to the lack of toughness on this team. I think we aren’t weak or scared by any means, but I have to think that we need a tough, intimidating team like Anaheim with all their enforcers.

Our PK have up 1 goal, but that’s okay since it was playing VERY well recently. Our PP was excellent.

All I hope is that this game doesn’t “kill” our confidence going into the game against Ottawa. We NEED to win that game.

All in all, it’s our first real disappointing game in a while I would think. Hopefully we can rebound. We’re only 3 points behind first place. Ottawa’s got some issues of their own. We need to capitalize on their problems and beat them.

67. HJ says:

this type of game could start a losing streak for the habs. I mean, how do you come back from such a devastating loss?

68. Da Hema says:

I thought the turning point of the game was Kovalev’s ill-advised elbow to Hollweg. Rangers took over the game at that point, and Kovalev may well end up getting suspended for what he did. This is the Alex Kovalev we were hoping was exorcised: the selfish player. The Habs did look unhinged with this physical game. Before we all start yelling to trade everyone from Huet to Youppi, let’s bear in mind that the Habs played well against the Bruins and Flyers, who also tried to run the Habs through the boards. It is tough, though, to be up by three and lose. I was hoping the team we saw last year and earlier this year was one we would not see again–the one that gets a couple power play goals to take the lead, and then loses the five-on-five play for the rest of the game.

The Boys will bounce back against Ottawa. Everyone better keep their fingers crossed that Kovalev doesn’t get suspended.
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

69. mjames says:

I started reading the first few posts and stopped. All I read was “we need this , we need that, etc.” Everyone relax we were not outplayed. The Rangers were fortunate to get the most out of their shots. There were two three seeing eye goals, one Huet should have stopped and one that went through three players before it found Drury. We had this game but we seemed to let up . A bad loss but we were not grossly outplayed. We had so many changes that I lost count (i.e. three posts).

I would still take our team in a four game series with the Rangers.

mjames

70. Chuck says:

Easy. Win the next game.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

71. HKisses says:

*Sigh* i hate this site when Habs lose…… Go watch the goals over Huet coudl saved one of them ….So don’t blame him…as for the rest lack of effort and maybe tired from th night b4?…..these things will happen… Just stop blamign everyone on the team and say u don’t liek them based on one loss…. Any ways they’ll be fine against Ottawa.(NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT TODAY, HABS WILL BE MAD AND WILL BOUNCE BACK)

72. WestHab says:

I agree no need to panic. It was hard to lose the 3 goal lead but it was the 2nd game day in a row against a very god team. The loss maybe an education. After the pently shot goal everyone was over (cellebratory). kovalev’s elow didn’t help either. You can’t stop working is the message. This should make the team a little hungier, I don’t think it’s the start of a losing streak as some have suggested. GO HABS GO!!!! kEEP FAITH.

73. HKisses says:

I saw the game just the way you did and my output on the loss is the same….. I won’t be on the wagon today, But whoever is (all under this post)..Get on it now, because Tuesday youll be on the winning wagon…Again

74. usversusthem says:

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure I remember Kovalev giving the puck away on the second goal… it was a pretty lazy, dumb move and I think that got him a little mad… I think that probably factored into his over-the-top retaliation against Hollweg. And the rest is history…

75. downeast hab says:

Too late now, but I wonder if Carbo would have played Halak today,might we have seem a different game from the players. It seemed that after that third goal, they got a bit to laxey-daisy and gave the Rangers a bit of life. Now, the question is who do you play the next game, if they dont play Halak,then what massage will this send to him,and if they call up Price, well its just has well to kiss Halak good-bye. Another thing, it looks like Alex Kov. is going to be suspended,So here comes the big test.

76. Hoegarden says:

NEWS FLASH; Habs lose game on SuperBowl Sunday and
    Laffs sign UFA to one year contract;

The Toronto Maple Leafs foreign scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young Iraqi play hockey in the new American sponsored league, and is suitably impressed and arranges for him to come over to Toronto.

They sign him to a one year contract and the kid joins the team at once.

Two weeks later the Leafs are down 4-0 to the Blackhawks with only 10 minutes left. Paul Maurice gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in.
    The kid is a sensation – scores 5 goals in 10 minutes and wins the game for the Leafs! The fans are delighted, the players and coaches are delighted, and the media love the new star.

When the player comes off the ice he phones his mom to tell her about his first day of NHL hockey.
    ‘Hello mom, guess what?’ he says in an Iraqi
    accent. ‘I played for 10 minutes today, we were 4-0 down, but I scored 5 goals and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me.’

‘Wonderful,’ says his mom, ‘Let me tell you about my day. Your father got shot in the street and robbed, your sister and I were ambushed, raped and beaten, and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all while you were having such great time.’

The young Iraqi is very upset. ‘What can I say mom, but I’m so sorry.’

‘Sorry? You’re Sorry?’ says his mom,
    ‘It’s your fault we moved to Toronto in the first place!’

77. Ed says:

I thought that the kid line had been playing well for us since they were put together. Even though S. Kostitsyn was taken off the line today, those 3 players were among the 5 who were not in the minus category today. The other 2 were Bouillon and Dandenault. Hamrlik was -3, while there were 5 players at -2. This is uncharacteristic of the team lately, and I feel sure that they will change things around again. Let’s all relax until the next game. It has been a great run since that loss in Dallas, and we can’t expect to win them all.

78. HJ says:

If Carbo was NY’s coach, Ny would have lost!

79. HJ says:

Gillette was at the game and saw his team blow a 3 goal lead. I’m sure he’s not too happy now. But the bottom line is, the habs are sill UNABLE TO PLAY 60 MINUTES. When the rangers tied the game, I absolutely knew, 100%, that the habs woulds lose, because the rangers sucked all the life out of the habs, and THE RANGERS HAD ALL THE MOMENTUM. the habs gave away 2 points, and it could come back to haunt them. remember this game

80. Hoegarden says:

Habs hung in there pretty good today considering they played less than 24 hrs before.
    They just lost their legs around midway in the second, took a couple of penalties, a few scufles\fights whatever.
    It’s that simple.
    The Rangers were well rested and played the right kind of game for the win.
    Habs will bounce back. Hopefully they won’t have a morning practice until Tuesday and Huet will get a nice massage and recoup in time.

81. idle says:

We do need two lines running at the same time. I’m sure that if the Habs stay close to their recent pace then at least one player can be dropped in for the stretch run. Hossa is still being talked about, we do have some trade bait and rightly or wrongly it seems like Ryder is heading in that direction. I’m not much for trade rumors so I will let the names come from elsewhere but I can see another reasonable name player fitting into our top 2 lines before we get to the playoff run.

82. mjames says:

I have to disagree . We were not outplayed. If you think we were then please tell me where we were outplayed. Linkquist won the game for them.

mjames

83. originalsix says:

Well that was certainly a weird story/fantasy.

84. Da Hema says:

I agree it stinks to lose two points, especially given how they did it today. However the Habs will make the playoffs, so the loss of two points is not that dire. At any rate, they were not playing the North Bay Centennials today. The Rangers are a good team that played with a degree of desperation given their place in the standings. The Boys will play Ottawa five times, so the Habs will determine where they end up in the final conference standings.
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

85. Jim M says:

I like their excuses a lot better than I like yours.

86. Da Hema says:

“We are a limited team?” Don’t get hurt falling off the bandwagon….
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

87. Jonnyboy says:

My two fav. posts are here today:

1)Our team lost a game: sell the whole team and get new players

2)Why do people post number 1 after a single loss

My opinon on the game today is simple. You’re tired from a game last night and you get up 3-0 in a amazingly physical game. You start giving 100% instead of 110% a few minutes later the game was tied. I don’t look into it anymore than that.

It was an amazing game to watch though.

88. Moey says:

Mr. Stubbs,

Just a suggestion, but I would have used “Power Rangers morph Habs” for the title of this thread :)

89. Da Hema says:

How was today’s loss Carbo’s fault? No offence, but could you please stay on the Brittany Spears blog, a site that would appreciate your “informed” comments….
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

90. G-Man says:

Tough way to lose. I thought Halak might get the start (see what he is made of and see how sharp he is). Huet doesn’t like back to back games, it seems. Still, 3 good goals, but our D just wasn’t operating when the opposition gets 5. Well, onto Tuesday and the Sens.

Gilbert

91. JF says:

By coming out good and mad and all fired up on Tuesday night.

92. habsgod says:

NOTE:***********ATENTION ALL HABS FANS I CALLED INTO THE TEAM 990 POST GAME SHOW TODAY AFTER OUR 5-3 LOSS AND COMMENTED ON THE GAME !THE HOST OF THE SHOW SEAN CAMPBELL HAD “SAID “THAT MICHEAL RYDER WAS A HEALTHY SCRATCH AND SUPPOSEDLY LEFT THE BELL CENTER EARLY IN THE THIRD PERIOD ANS SAID THERE WAS A RUMOR GOING AROUND THE BELL CENTER THAT MICHEAL RYDER HAD BEEN TRADED!!”HE SAID” TO KEEP LISTENING TO THE TEAM 990 !!FOR MORE DETAILS!CAN DAVE,OR KEVIN!OR PAT,OR SOME OF THE OTHER STAFF LOOK IT TO THIS MORE AND SEE IF THERE’S ANYTHING TO THIS STORY THAT WAS RUMORED ON THE TEAM 990!!

93. VancouverHab says:

George Gilette was interviewed during the second intermission on HNIC and the man is an angel. Ron McLean was full of praise, deservedly so.

As for the loss, it happens! In seven-game Stanley Cup series, a team will get blown out one night & still win the series. Our Habs played hard, looked skillful, & lost a game to 5-straight goals. That’s not embarassing; that’s sport: it happens, gentlemen.

94. Jim M says:

We get it! You don’t like Koivu. Posting the same thing ad infinitum is a bit tedious, don’t you think?

95. Da Hema says:

Right about that Jimbo….
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

96. HKisses says:

Thank you well said, i Agree 100% wit u…I don’t get why thei has to be so much bashing….This crap happens in sports . Considering we played 2 games in two days…This is a wake up call and like Komi and Higgy said after the game….Its better this happens now as we learn from mistakes and take these mistakes and build off them to betetr themselves for playoffs.

97. VancouverHab says:

Hey, I hope you & I are on the winning common-sense team here ;–)

98. VancouverHab says:

Koivu is a disgrace? Nope: Koivu is a leader. He adds the guts, the skill, the no-whining that, you know, wins Stanley Cups. And he is a consistent points-getter. (I’d actually blame his linemates if I was blaming anyone for lack of productivity. If Ryder was Kurri, Koivu would be an all-star. (He is anyway, in my book.)

99. HKisses says:

Yes we certainly are, Lets hope people join our bandwagon. Sometimes put ur self in thier postions ,yes they get paid millions. But look at the kind of fans they DON’T have supporting them when they LOSE. We need fans that support this team no matter what happens. Just enjoy that we are even in 2 or 3rd in the east …. GO HABS

100. showey47 says:

halak was just sent to hamilton

101. mjames says:

Jim M – ignore him. he conveniently forgets that Koivu had a large part in our stirring win over the Devils.

mjames

102. Jim M says:

VancouverHab

Good posts filled with plain common sense. The Habs played 4 games in 6 nights and took 5 out of 8 points from teams who are trying to make the playoffs, and all we hear is moaning and crying from certain fans. I’ve been on this site for a long time and I still can’t believe what I read somtimes.

I agree with your point about Kovu. From most of the games I’ve seen this year, if his set-ups were converted 50% of the time, I believe he’d have another 20-30 points, easily.

103. Mr.Hazard says:

Saku Koivu IS this team. That’s all I have to say.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

104. Mr.Hazard says:

I called into CJAD and suggested that but neither of the guys seemed to think that that was the case… I think we lost some energy midway through the game and of course the Rangers took advantage… If it hadn’t been a back-to-back affair im pretty confident we would have won.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

105. Jim M says:

mjames

Good advice, and I will do my best to ignore him. But when someone picks on Koivu, it annoys the hell out of me. I have no patience for people with short-term memory. Koivu has done a lot for this team and city and I’m proud to have him on this team.

106. Moey says:

Exactly right, 4 games in 6 nights and 2 of them against Washington, I was tired just watching Ovechkin far less trying to contain him. Fatigue was a big factor, and that leads to careless errors, by Kovy especially, he was also doing double shifts today. Bang on about Koivu too, if he had decent linemates it would make a huge difference.

I agree about some of the stuff posted here, you wonder if they know anything about hockey, there is a big lack of plain old common sense.

107. Mr.Hazard says:

Does dat mean Carey Prize is ‘eaded back up?

Ex nihilo nihil fit

108. habsgod says:

thanks showey47!price will be recalled!the team990 “said that there were rumors that ryder has been traded!are you hearing anything?

109. showey47 says:

just the trade rumour to atlanta, maybe something in the works with nashville also

110. N.B.habs fan says:

MJAMES Best comment I read all day,I found the game to be exciting and a good learning experience foe the young players,

I like con12,but he will not let up on trading our players or getting rid of Koivu,please man lighten up we are better off than most teams and you complain like a Laffs fan.

go habs go

111. PureGuava says:

Saku will be joining Rivet in SJ shortly…mark my words.

112. downeast hab says:

Just showed Ryder in press box, so someone must have swiped is sticks. Not looking good for back to back wins.

113. Sulemaan says:

I was just reflecting on one thing. The team is playing well right now. The wins are not just based on the PP and then holding on for dear life while the goaltenders stand on their heads (like much of last year). Last year it was like the team had four-leaf clovers tucked in their skates.

Most players are having good seasons but I just wonder how much more powerful we would be if Koivu, Higgins and Ryder got it going. That entire line is just snakebit. Last year they were such a good line.

Can you imagine having them start clicking and Kovalev’s line going at the same time? I think that would give the opposition fits.

Maybe before when I thought the team was over-performing I was mistaken. Perhaps in the past they were simply under-performing and they are now showing their true colours and are playing with confidence.

Looking forward to CBC covering the game tomorrow, Thursday and next Saturday. I mean when was the last time (outside playoffs) that we’ve seen 4 Habs games in the span of 7 days on CBC during the regular season?

114. PGHABS says:

th last time CBC showed four habs games in the reqular season??? hasn’t hapened

115. RH says:

Sulemaan,

Winning inspires confidence and when a team is confident, they’re easily sold on the coaches game plan. I see that the PK is slowly creeping up the rankings so, maybe that’s also an indication of this years edition, of the Habs, finally heading Carbo’s message.

Regarding the Koivu-Ryder-Higgins line, I wasn’t overly optimistic about them being re-united going into this season. That line just never inspired confidence in me but, I guess the coach has decided to go with them together, hoping they can get my man Ryder going. Something like sticking to that which is most comfortable to you.

116. RH says:

Are you still going to the Marlies/’Dogs game next weekend?

117. G-Man says:

The Eastern conference race would be just about wrapped up if those three were performing up to scratch. (Koivu and Higgins really need to put that puck upstairs- goalies block the lowest part of the night.)
    I must repeat this, however. Kovalev has made me eat my words EVERY game this season. He has played like a captain should, leading by example. The other night when he hurt his thumb; well, if it was last year he would have stayed in the dressing room. Instead, he remained on the bench and put some ice on it. He then proceeded to dominate the game. His “most fun” moment so far was the “Oh crap, I lost my glove while controlling the puck, I better go back and get it before one of these idiots slashes me.” The crowd went absolutely gaga over that move. Hab fans have waited a long time for someone who can play like this guy. When he does, he’s the best: big and strong and tough, with enough move to make your head spin.

Gilbert

118. Moey says:

It’s a real treat for me to get four straight games on the CBC. Nothing against RDS, I like Pierre Hood, he also talks hockey on our local radio station every Monday and Friday in English. I lose some of what’s being said during the games, my French is so so.

And you’re right about the Koivu line, if only…..we’d be a real force to contend with.

119. idle says:

Your right Sulemaan. It’s almost like having an ace in your back pocket except you don’t know if they will be able to play it at some point, you can only hope. For his part I think that Koivu, although not quit as flashy as in the past, has kept up his end of the bargain. He is on the same pace he usually is on for points in a season and has kept up his great play along the boards and around the net. The biggest thing is that he has not had the finishing help from Ryder and recently Higgins that he has had in the past. He is still creating chances but they are not converting them. If this line starts scoring regularly again (maybe in time for a nice playoff run) then who knows where the team can go.

120. Scotty90 says:

Hi Sulemaan… I totally agree with you re. the Koivu line…. if they fire it up and start producing as we all know they can, Kovy’s line keeps the pace and lines 3 & 4 continue to torpedo the oppisition as they have been…well, play-offs should be really interesting. I think however that the strategy would be to physically put us down, try and intimidate as much as possible to throw us off our game. Thats one area where we can successfully compete without losing star players. We can’t afford to have Komi intervene every time one of our stars is man-handled because he will either get hurt or spend time in the penalty box… we can’t afford either! Kosto has heart and will drop them for the team but he’s no match for the type of guys who’s mission will be to ‘search and destroy’. I know the team is clicking with the current line-ups and we can ill-afford to take up a roster spot with a neanderthal but what will happen if we don’t? I think Habs scouts should be out looking for a heavyweight who can skate and show a bit of hockey sense. It may be the only missing piece of the puzzle.

As for the CBC… they have probably come to realize that they have to let go of 1967…. and of the original 6, Montreal is by and far the favored team to a National audience.

Enjoy the game today.

121. Shiloh says:

Looking forward to a huge game. AK46 will score two goals and the Habs will win 5-1. If there is any justice, Kostopoulos and Begin will play and Breezer and Latendresse will sit.

122. habsguy says:

How do you call 3rd over all, ” mediocre “

123. idle says:

Forgot to mention that I was pretty impressed with Jager too. He took a lot of punishment from Komi and a few years ago he would have been whining and crying and sulking but he really handled it well and at times he went right at Komi knowing he would get hammered. The good thing for the Habs is that it did seem to nutralize him though but obviously not the rest of the team.

124. Sulemaan says:

I much prefer the ‘Oh no you didn’t…’

125. idle says:

Yeah, it’s tough for those mediocre teams in 4′th place of a 30 team league to recover from those.

126. idle says:

I am shocked! How dare you dishonor my name like that. I was named after my Grandpa on my Grandma’s side.

127. DAVE. N says:

…on a lighter note..”Don Valley Danny” the resident Toronto Groundhog, arose Saturday morning to see the shadows of Toronto Playoff hockey,and went back into hibernation for another 40 years…

128. Jim M says:

idle,

Your bouncing avatar is dangerous. My cat keeps jumping at it and has scratched me twice already trying to get at it. Can you make it do somersaults, too?

129. habfan53 says:

Dave could you imagine the mood here if we WERE Leaf fans???

130. G-Man says:

In a related story, Mou-mou la Marmotte of Montreal woke up, scratched his butt and got arrested after demanding a 6-pack of Molson Ex before prognosticating upon the “how many weeks of winter are left before the Habs clinch a playoff spot” question. His lawyer has refused all interviews.

Gilbert

131. G-Man says:

zzzz-zzzzz! What? Oh, him again? Never mind, I’ll… zzzz…zzzzz….

Gilbert

132. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

exactly…
    the makeup of our team cannot sustain that kind of hockey (playoff hockey) over a 7 game series.

in the type of game we witnessed yesterday, who do you think should have been up front in the headlines today?

we should have been talking about BEGIN, KOSTOP, Latron, BOUILION(actually he came through)…..discussion should have been about the WAR that went on..instead we are talking about Kovalev and Koivu fighting for their lives in a scrappy contest…RANGERS did their job.

and got the result.

———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

133. habsgod says:

here’s a fact! your leafs blow!you are an idiot!!you don’t know what you are talking about,that’s a fact!here’s another fact we are tired of you spewing all this facts garbage and 90% of it is crap!why don’t you go on a laffs site you’ll fit right in with them losers and you guys can compare this fact!you suck and always will!

134. Bill H says:

Beautifully said Habsfan. That bulge in your cheek suits you.

135. HABZ 24 says:

the habs took there foot off the gas after the 3rd goal and lundquist was great the way he stood on his head also after getting beat for 3.looked like a blow out early on ,but hand it to nyr they didnt give up.look out sens were ready.

136. Bill H says:

I don’t recall ever hearing BG say that there is no room for improvement on the club.

137. carmine007 says:

Total agree Dave. We started off like a huricane and then ended like a English shower.

We still looked very impressive. I think right now guys like Higgins and Ryder need to get there act together. More so Ryder than Higgins. Higgins seems a little slower than the rest of the team? Not certain on how to speak to that one. We have a BIG game against Ottawa. Habs get your speed skating sleep and keep the pace were at!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

138. idle says:

The only difference I would say is that if they had just kept playing like they did in the first they could have deflated the Rangers by not letting them effect them. It is only when they let the Rangers see that it was working that they kept doing it.

139. idle says:

No, but when things get too heated he turns into a scary looking knife.

140. Jim M says:

idle,

I also like the knife. Too bad you couldn’t combine them. That would look scary and weird at the same time.

141. Ed says:

You are Tom Langford in Factville. There is a Thomas Langford in Grande-Entree, Quebec, and that is a fact. It would be a shame if you are using a Quebec name to hammer home your FACTS. You would not do that would you? Please tell us your real name, and where you are from. We like to deal in real facts. Don’t hide behind someone else’s name, plus you are using a fictitious place – Factville. Maybe you are really from Smallville. Where in Ontario do you live?

142. Leonard Zukerman says:

Does anyone out there in Hab universe know the last time the Canadiens were first in the conference
    at around the same time in the season? My guess is that it was 1993.

Thanks

143. Ed says:

Is that a FACT???????

144. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

and thats where our goonery should have contested their goonery…(but we have no goonery – everyone is goal scorer now)

so its out now..the league knows….face-wash our stars constantly and were beat…because no elite player can play through that or get back on their game, unless the take MASSIVE PHYSICAL ACTION…like Bobby Orr did or the Great Maurice….try to facewash Maurice, he’ll face wash you back till your face is on the ice.
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

145. Chuck says:

It’s more the abrasive, “I told you so” tone of your postings that rub folks the wrong way, Tom.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

146. showey47 says:

I am so happy that i made the top of your list, you must really hate me if i was the first one i guess you can call that a FACT,lol.

147. habsguy says:

alot of them are only a year or two out of the bulldogs and our farm is STILL RATED #4 …LOL…and you alot of guys don’t like our front office !!!…LOLOLOL

148. mrstewart61 says:

You’re looking at the other half, so that means you are a hypocrite.

149. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

We need to insert CHIPS back into the lineup in place of SMOKE.

so if Price is coming back, bring Chips with him…not sure if its possible to bring Chips unless BRIS can go to injury reserve.

Huet can’t play every game….maybe Price is ready to sub-in.

also, RYDER should have played, he’s a tough kid and would have dished it out..especially after he JUMPED TO PROTECT HIGGS on Saturday….THATS WHAT WE NEED….AND CARB SCRATCHES HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS AN IDIOT MOVE CARB.
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

150. habsguy says:

ALSO, if they’re as bad as some of you claim, how can you criticize Carbo, he has that lazy team of Chez Pare patrons 3rd over all !!!

151. habfan53 says:

You’re right after going over recent posts.
    Huet: Can’t stop a beach ball
    Hamerlik: We should have kept Souray
    Bouillon heart of a lion but is too small
    Brisebois: Can’t hit Can’t skate can’t pass too old to
    breathe
    Smolinski, Kotstopoulos, Ryder, Latendresse, and Higgins
    should all be in Hamilton or traded.
    Koivu has lost his enthusiasm and only has 10 goals
    TRADE HIM
    Dandenault and Streit Shoul’nt be forwards they are
    defencemen
    Streit and Dandenault shoud’nt be on defence they’re
    not physical enough
    That leaves Begin and Georges one is to old and the other to young

THANK THE LORD for Markov,Komisarek, both Kotstisyns Kovalev and Plekanec

152. Jim M says:

I sure hope that the Habs are able to get over their big one game collapse.

153. The Teacher says:

“Brisebois: Can’t hit Can’t skate can’t pass too old to
    breathe”

Hahahaha at 1AM you’ve got me laughing my head off.

“Smolinski, Kotstopoulos, Ryder, Latendresse, and Higgins
    should all be in Hamilton or traded.”

This one was quite funny too.

Ahh thanks for the laughs. And yes, we do than the lord for Markov et al.

154. idle says:

My memory is not always great, but I seem to think the Habs were quite average in 93 during the regular season so you may have to look farther back then that. Now in 92, one season before the cup, I think they were actually much better in the regular season, but again this is all based on my cloudy memory.

155. idle says:

Some day when I am bored and not so busy at work I will break out the editor and try to make it happen.

156. idle says:

As much as it hurts, I think you have to give the Rangers respect for the way they turned this game around. They pressured the Habs for the majority of the second and third periods and did what Montreal should have done after the first which is to not let their opponents get any kind of sustained momentum.

I really appreciated how in the first period the Habs did not let NY’s attempt at bullying them work. It seemed like NY tried to intimidate the Habs by throwing them around a bit and Montreal fought right back and even worse took advantage of the power play chances they were given. That is as good a way as any to stop teams from taking runs at you.

The problem is that in the second and first half of the third period, it seemed like the Habs were too focused on fighting back physically and lost some of there focus on playing the game itself. Maybe they were too comfortable with the lead and having won so many games lately, but in the end it looks like the Rangers physical play paid off cause it did take Montreal off of their game.

157. Jim M says:

idle

Go for it!

158. Dave Stubbs says:

No “accusations” were ever made, Tom. Just a gentle suggestion that you try to make your point without constantly yelling that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. An opinion is never wrong. It’s yours or it’s mine. It’s that simple.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

159. Richard B says:

mtl. is a one line hockey club!
    And a 4 D hockey club. Big “Praise” here for Hammer, Markov, Striet and Kommie!

And, if Ryder deserves to be scratched, I say stick Higgins up in the box with him.

160. Richard B says:

ohhhh “snap”

161. Richard B says:

I like all that…
    Lets put Ryder back in there,
    Bring up Chips…Brisbois should only dress as a 7th defenceman and should only play 5 mins per game…with no PP or PK time.

Bring back Donald or Flapps too.

162. Xtrahabsfan says:

Got to see the Habs game after the SuperBowl”great game”,and like I said before Les Habitants need le much bigger hockey players cause the bigger teams are going to wear us out “and cause injury”sooner or later.Ryder ,Dandy,Begin,Smoke need to go and be replaced by bigger , tougher and tenacious athletes. Mr.Gainey maybe your wrong and there is room for improvement after all,and let’s not use the back to back ,they were tired scenario ,its lame , this is the big leagues.This is worrysome heading into game’s with the Leafs and Sens,whatever the outcome …GO Habs…

163. idle says:

Actually in 1993 (84 games played) the Habs finished with 102 points, 3′rd in the devision, 7′th in the League.

In 1992 (80 games played) they finished with 93 points but it was for first in their devision and 5′th in the League.

164. Richard B says:

Wow, interesting theory on that home record comment.

165. Robert L says:

Just to get the ball rolling on here, I have set up a site, an information central of sorts, for the Habs (Inside/Out?) Fans Summit: Bulldogs Style that is being proposed by Retro Mikey and others.

The details are just beginning to come together, and you can check it out here.

It’s a great opportunity for some of the millions of Habs fans on Maple Leafs turf, and others elsewhere, to get out get together with similarly intelligent and good looking people who share in the taste for quality hockey wherever it is played.

166. Chuck says:

I’ll be there! Let’s get together and have a great time. With the Marlies in town, there will be a solid contingent of blue and white in the stands to cheer on the baby laffs; let’s show them what it means to be fans of a real organization!

Go Habs (and Dogs!) Go!!!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

167. Chuck says:

This is out game in hand over the Senators… let’s make good use of it and draw within 1 point!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

168. Xtrahabsfan says:

This is gonna be a good game,not going to say any more for fear of the dreaded jinx.Yo Kovi the great ,time to coffenize your old team and slam the door shut with a hat-trick!

169. Robert L says:

I’m only a definate maybe on my own being there – kid’s Provincial around that time might dry up the funds real fast. I’m crossing my fingers!

170. Chuck says:

If need be, I’ll spring for your ticket!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

171. habfan53 says:

I don’t know if we’ll see the Marlies they Played real well last night against Ottawa

172. Ian G Cobb says:

I have a free hotel room for you Robert in Belleville if that works for ya.

173. Robert L says:

Guys, that’s awful nice of you both. It’s the timing that makes it tough for me. We have a tournament in Brampton at Easter, league finals a week later, and possibly the Provincials first week of April. If I were to make it, it would be a last minute decision.

Still, I’m touched by your kind gestures and offers. You guys are good friends!

174. Gormdog says:

Looking through hockey stats online, I fell upon two players who have eerily similar statistics. The ice time and PIM are on different ends of the spectrum, but the rest is a wash.

———–GP G A PTS +/- PIM ATOI SOG SPCT
    Player A: 52 8 28 36 -6 12 17:47 109 7.3

Player B: 56 11 25 36 -7 102 26:53 149 7.4

It’s not to say that these players are necessarily similar. Player B obviously plays a bigger role on on his team, and without looking it up I can bet you he’s thrown twice the hits of player A.

Player A = Mark Streit
    Player B = Chris Pronger

Streit also has more goals and points than Top NHLers Zubov, Chara, Phaneuf, and super FA Campbell.

The “Swiss Surgeon” is turning into quite the offensive player, turning 17 minutes a game into very good production. He and Markov are carrying my third place fantasy team!

175. mjames says:

Good post . Also Pronger puts his team at disadvantage 4 times as much as Streit. I personally think Pronger is overrated. He is slow. I would like to see Streit signed. He has been a good pick up by Gainey. Full marks to Gainey for bringing him in and more importantly for staying with him.

mjames

176. idle says:

If one team can score 3 goals in a row then whey the hell can’t the other team?

Ok so 5 I get it that sucks but the 3 goal lead was in the first period. No 3 goal lead is safe with 2 thirds of the game left. That kind of attitude sounds like a team that would just sit on a lead and expect to win the game, something that is often disliked by fans on here.

177. VancouverHab says:

Dear Timo: with respect, yes, I do think that your expectations are too high. Or, to be Clintonian, it depends upon what your meaning of “should” is. In an ideal world, teams would not lose if they are up 3-0. But by the same token, in an ideal world, teams would not lose after being 1-0 up, (cetirus paribus.)
    We, of course, live in the real, not the ideal, world, so “should” is not the right word. The question then is, can a good, hardworking team lose after being up 3-0 after a period? Sure, why not? In this case, the Habs were probably tired — indeed, it looks like the tank ran dry, though they did keep their foot to the pedal. or, the other team could be hyper-motivated & play much harder. Or their goalie can wake up & get hot (as I say the third period, only the Rangers keeper kept the Hbas from getting the fourth goal. Have you (or I, or Mr. Boone) ever started well & finished poorly in our work? I have, & I don’t think I’m contemptible for it.
    So, for me, it is only a mid-season game, the team tried hard, & there are many reasons why a game can be lost after 3-0 that do not reflect all that badly on the human beings in the bleu-blanc-et-rouge.
    Moreover, if they learn from it, it could in fact be a plus: a big help come playoffs….

178. The Teacher says:

Hahaha, you can’t wait for the first post of the night about Lats can you?

179. Shiloh says:

Not really – I can’t wait for the final post about him. I know I sound like a broken record where Billy Tenderness is concerned but I have watched hockey all my life (I’ll be 58 this year) and if people are seeing him as a talented player then I must be going crazy because to me he seems so obviously out of place at the NHL level.

180. G-Man says:

14 goals. More than most on the team. Boy, he sucks. That’s sarcarsm, btw.

Gilbert

181. Shiloh says:

Oh, no! Sarcasm – the harshest weapon of all! I admit LaSlowesse gets a few garbage goals, but that is it – there is nothing else offered from this player who can’t skate, can’t shoot, doesn’t pass, rarely checks and even more rarely hits – a player so complete that he never saw a puck drop in the minors(sarcasm right back at you). In your heart you know he sucks.

182. HNS says:

Tough loss. Now that I’m calm, I’ll say that everyone here should calm down. This team is still young and has a lot to learn.
    Tuesday will be huge with our boys looking to bounce back from what seemed to be 2 points in the bank. Ottawa can be had with their injuries. Who ever here wrote that the fans need to stop with their na na song is right absolutely right, till the end of the game. They need a nice cup of STFU in there.
    And oh yea, the Rangers will always suck.

183. RH says:

Yeah, I’m starting to calm down too. Seeing the Patriots choke took some of the sting away.

184. WindsorHab-10 says:

Yes, our captain got the ball rolling for the Rangers by taking a stupid penalty that resulted in their first goal. Blame this one on Carbonneau because Halak should’ve played today. He better be in net Tuesday & Thursday.

185. habsguy says:

Some of you make me sick…do you really think we should win every game……come on, grow up EVERY team loses, even the Patriots !!!!!!

186. Sulemaan says:

I am still planning RH. Promised my 4 year-old I’d take her. Only exception might be is my wife. (We’ve got another bun in the oven due any day now.)

187. Ian G Cobb says:

Got to watch more hockey Sulmaan and leave the bakery to us old retired folk.

188. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

There is a simple reason why we lost…TOUGHNESS.

The first period was OUR GAME – Vintage Habs that we’ve seen over the last few months, the team that has grown over the course of this season…pure BEAUTY.

But there was something happening, something coming up against us, in the corners, after the whistles, a relentless persistence from an inferior team that relies on these tactics, facewashes, hooks and jabs….the CBC said it right that this was playoff hockey.

EXACTLY what were going to face if we make it to the big show….and the refs will put the whistles away at a point….so whats my point?

After a whistle we see our CAPTIAN KOIVU, waisting energy battling that RIDUCULES TWERP AVERY and then AVERY FACEWASHING KOIVU!! and throwing him to the ground!, AVERY’s head should have been pushed into the ice in those close quarters…we DIDN’T DO IT… and then what did we see? KOVALEV the MAGIC MAN, the MAGIC HANDS, and he is playing a GEORGE LAROQ role out there???? utter and total failure!, WHAT IS OUR MAGICIAN DOING PLAYING THAT GAME?…thats not his game, its not pleks, koivus, higgs, kosty’s…don’t fool yourself, sure they can rough it up once every 45 games, but its not their ROLE.

I REALLY CAN’T STAND SEEING OUR TALENT (Kovalev/Koivu etc) BEING FACE WASHED.

Kovalev is another story, what he did to hellwig was BRILLIANT and that GOON DESERVED it and more…as well KOVALEV facewashed AVERY like the kid punk that he is, I’d have slapped his face into the pavement if I’d seen him outside the bell center myself….

But thats the problem, those guys had there game taken away…and the wheels fell off from there.

it wasn’t Huet and aside from Hamr not seeing the guy behind him, we didn’t make many mistakes…just had our STAR players mauled….thats all.

p.s. special mention to KOMI and his great hit on Yagr
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

189. RH says:

Hey, what’d you think of little Francis B. taking on that ogre, Colton Orr? I think he held his own pretty well.

190. Shiloh says:

Your comments are bang on. We were intimidated. Kovalev was a marked man after he forearmed Hellweg (I’m still no certain he got him with the elbow). A player with a mean streak would have (should have) gone out next shift and made Drury or Gomez pay for the intent to injure SK74. But we can’t expect Kovy to do it. But somebody had to.

191. Sulemaan says:

You’re right Scotty. A John Ferguson (RIP) type of player is exactly what this team is lacking. Here’s to a great game today buddy.

192. Ian G Cobb says:

Hey Scotty, are you going to Steeltown with us? I want to see if you know how to empty that mug. Hope you can make it.

193. Ian G Cobb says:

Sulemaan–If need be I’ll phone down to Halifax and put things in order for you so you can get to Steeltown.

194. Scotty90 says:

Hi Ian… never gave it a thought… i’d have to read up on what’s been said about it. My wife is away until next Sunday so i’m pretty well mr. Mom until then. When is it that you folks are getting together?

195. Sulemaan says:

Might just take you up on that old friend. I was really cheezed off I missed the last summit and Hamilton is only 1 hour away. I’ll know by the end of this week if I can swing it.

If I might also make a humble suggestion Ian/Robert L? Please continue to emphasize that this summit is available to all Habs fans on Inside/Out.

Whether you just joined yesterday or were here since Day 1. Just want to make sure no one feels excluded. I know you guys don’t think that way but sometimes it’s good to really spell it out so this is not viewed as some exclusive event. My two cents for what they are worth.

196. Ian G Cobb says:

Scotty- Go to Robert L blog, he put up a great page about it. ( eyes on the prise) site. And Dave Stubb mentioned it here yesterday along with mine.

197. Ian G Cobb says:

Absolutly, everyone and anyone is welcome, they might have to close half Copps seats down for all of us.

198. Scotty90 says:

Might be fun if the cage-rattler / factoid dude attended…. does he have the ‘green light’ to go? :)

199. Sulemaan says:

I agree Idle. If Higgins/Ryder could have finished more this season, Koivu would probably be contesting Kovalev for the scoring lead this year. Look at that beautiful setup that Higgins missed last night. Fingers crossed, they will snap out of it.

200. Sulemaan says:

You know what some of my buddies used to do in Montreal, they would put the tv on RDS and then mute the sound and then crack up CJAD at the same time. Although, I believe that your french will improve when you watch RDS!

201. Ian G Cobb says:

I do that every game, RDS and CJAD and we get to cheer every goal twice because of the 20 sec. delay

202. Sulemaan says:

No question about it Gilbert, Kovalev has been our best player this year. If anything happened to Koivu he would be wearing the ‘C’. Beautiful player to watch.

203. Habster101 says:

Im sorry but I completely agree with Habs-Pro…first of all Hollweg gave Kovy a dirty swipe when he passed by, so Kovy went after him for a hit back because in case you haven’t noticed, Kovalev doesn’t take any shit from nobody out there…

Hollweg, being the little suck that he is, shyed away from the on coming TANK and took it right in the face…

you may not understand the kind of trash talking that goes on on the ice, especially when these two teams meet, haven’t you watched “The Rocket” yet…The Rangers are one of the dirtiest teams and always have been throughout history, who knows what other reasons were as to why Kovy ran him down…he deserved it…

face to face , man to man, nothing dirty about it….

now what Hollweg did after that was DIRTY…taking it out on the smallest player we have…why didn’t he try to go after Kovalev? what, to scared to go after the guy that got you…

becasue Kovalev would have finished him off just like Richard did to Avery…

Kovalev is not a dirty player, but he will teach a lesson to other dirty players around the league and give them a taste of their own medicine…remember Tucker 2 yrs ago?

204. The Teacher says:

ok seriously hab prof. I like your passion but your comments sometimes leave a lot to be desired. kovalev gave a dirty elbow, end of story.

By your rationale, It was All sergei K’s fault for getting nailed from behind.

But when you say Too Bad, I laugh, because I say that too, so I know where you’re coming from. Just don’t think you’re right in this instance.

205. habsgod says:

MAFFU READ MY POST AT THE VERY TOP OF THIS PAGE ABOUT RYDER!!

206. Maffu says:

Heard of the radio that Ryder left the arena with sticks and all.
    He was scratched today.
    From a friend of a friend of mine: he MIGHT have been traded.
    Atlanta GM Waddell and Edmonton and Calgary GM’s are at the game.

Anyone else know something?

207. HJ says:

how come we have such a hard time beating the rangers?
    trouble with the habs is, as soon as they get a lead, they stop skating. would someone please tell the habs: HOCKEY IS A 60 MINUTE GAME! we’re not there yet. Detroit wouldn’t squandered a 3 goal lead!

208. HJ says:

remember last year, Buffalo, a small team couldn’t make it past the 2nd round.

209. habsguy says:

COME BACK TO EARTH…things happen …..

210. knucklesnilan says:

How does Komisarek get the only penalty !!!
    What about the 2, count em 2 Rangers who jumped
    on him from behind.
    Just like that mysterious hooking penalty
    he got yesterday, he gets screwed again.

Oh, by the way, I love Koivu but his absolutely stupid
    hooking penalty turned this whole game around!!

211. habfan53 says:

Dissappointed Yeah!! End of the world no.
    Should we have won yes BASED on the way we played the 1st period only. The way Montreal came out in the second I told my wife we’re in trouble From the start of the second period we LET New York dictate the pace of play. Montreal had a few changes but N.Y. controlled.

Now we know how Jersey felt. Their fans probably said there is no way they should have lost and for all you Huet baiters they had BRODEUR in nets.

If Carbo is the coach I think he is tomorrow he’ll show the players where we let down and remind them that we can learn as much if not more from a loss that we can from a win.

As for never playing 60 minutes I thought they did both Tuesday and Saturdat this week.

I also dissagree that Kovalev’s hit was brilliant IT WAS DIRTY nail him but nail him from the front like Komisarek did with Jagr all afternoon, I think he’ll get a game or two by the league on the other hand Hollweg should be getting 10-15 as there is no excuse for what he did not even have the guts to go after the player that nailed him Kovalev.

212. showey47 says:

Agreed, its sucks to lose a game like this but its gonna happen, it will happen again and contrary to popular belief it happens to other teams as well (i watch alot of hockey and every night at least one team blows a 2 or 3 goal lead). I feel it started when koivu took another stupid penalty in the o-zone, while we were on the powerplay to boot. It continued when we got lured into the thugery game that the rangers play, we got away from our game that got us the 3-0 lead in the first place which is skating. Our team speed got us the first 2 powerplay goals and sergei’s penalty shot goal. Just put the loss behind us and gear up for the sens on tuesday.

213. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Disagree on Kovalev…watch it again.

Hullwig was croutching down and trying to reverse himself away from
    kovalev who was bearing down on him….and thats RUSSIAN BEARing down.

if that WIMP HULLWEG would have stood up shoulder to shoulder and took it like a man then he wouldn’t have been caught by Kovalevs arm, but instead he’s bending down moving backwards trying to escape the hit…Bang he gets it clipped around his face and thats why he reacted like a crybaby…TOO BAD.

TOO BAD learn how to play the game…no call…none deserved.
    ———
    1. Breeze………thankyou for the ‘effort’…..PLEASE RETIRE NOW.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

214. habfan53 says:

Agreed. Actually my wife pointed out that Koivu seems to take more penalties when we are on the power play than any other player. AND FOR ALL YOU SAKU FANS I AM NOT DISSING HIM

215. Shiloh says:

Looked good on the big goon.

216. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

BouLION has alway been a favorite….kid is a WARRIOR.

I would NEVER TRADE HIM….EVER.

remember Wellwood in his prime with the laffs coming at FULL SPEED down the wing and BOULION destroys him with a hip check, then TUCKER RUNS at BOULION!…cube gets up and DESTROY’s TUCKER!

thats typical Boulion…won’t back down from anybody…ever..kid has a nuclear reactor for a heart.

and to think some idiots want to trade that guy?…man they don’t understand the game….

———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

217. N.B.habs fan says:

I said it yesterday that even when we win you guys whine like 7graders,What is it when you guys go to work does everyone tease you and you cant take it.This is all we got for a team so you may as well suck it up.Most of us are happy to make it to the playoff and mabe along the way we might get lucky and get that great foward that you want ,but we will still lose again and again and then what? Guys it is allright to get upset but when someone dosen’t agree with you ,you dont have to start the name calling We are all Habs fans here,lets act like it .

218. habsguy says:

and the Bruins and the Devils and the Laffs and the Canes and the Pens and the Sabres and the Flyres and the Islanders and the Caps and the Lightning and Panthers and the Hawks and the Thrashers……we’ve beat them all !!!!
    Yup, the team who is 3rd overall..the team who nobody picked to even make the playoffs. The team who is 3rd in goals for..#2 in power play goals…I like them, they’ve made me happy to be a Hab fan !!!

219. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Certain games against certain opponents reveal our strengths…and our weaknesses.

We could play the Rangers in the first round and we have more talent then them…but can we survive the beating….
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

220. Shiloh says:

Your comment about Lats is one with which I am in total agreement. My biggest worry is that dissension may set in if he never has to pay the price for his lack of performance while others do unfairly. Hell, Alexei Kostitsyn sat for four games this year but Latendresse just keeps suiting up. A guy who has never played a game in the minors has got to be a lot better than this. I admit that he can get a few garbage goals but he rarely hits, never checks, has a horrible shot, can’t skate and doesn’t pass. So why is he so golden? Chipchura would be so much better, as would a few more down in Hamilton.

And – before the sunshine police whine about negativity – I point this out because I WANT to see the Habs win against better teams. I just don’t think we can do that consistently carrying a forward of such limited talent. If he fought and intimidated maybe I could see a role for him, but Aaron Downey was a better skater.

221. HJ says:

habs will win nothing this year!

222. Shiloh says:

Apparently Ryder has not been traded. If that’s true, he sure would look a whole lot better out there than Billy Tenderness – the slowest player in the league.

223. habsgod says:

we are going to win 5-2!!tommorrow and set up the first place showdown with ottawa on tuesday which we will win also!