Game 53: Price blanks Rangers in matinee

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban clears the puck
in front of goalie Carey Price as Rangers’ Brian Boyle tries to get the puck.
Allen McInnis, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

Rangers kick off Habs’ Super Bowl weekend
Canadiens-Rangers rivalry steeped in history: Stubbs

POSTGAME AUDIO (Boone and Hickey compiled; apologies for overlap): Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Gionta 2 | Gionta 3 | Carey Price | Price 2 | Scott Gomez | Alexandre Picard

• At a Glance: The Canadiens can thank Carey Price for their 2-0 win over the New York Rangers on Saturday. Price made 19 saves in the third period as the Rangers pressed to tie the game en route to his fifth shutout of the season. Price made 35 for his league-leading 26th win of the season. It was a goalless game until late in the second period, when former Ranger Scott Gomez beat Martin Biron. Alexandre Picard, who was playing in place of the ill James Wisniewski, fired a shot that went wide of the net, but the rebound came to Gomez at the other side of the net and he roofed it over Biron with 1:26 to play in the period. Tomas Plekanec scored into an empty net with 38 seconds to play to seal the victory.

• Key Moments: Neither team was very special on special teams Saturday. The Rangers were 0-for-4 on the power play and the Canadiens were blanked on two tries, meaning they are 0-for-21 in the last four games.

• What It Means: Montreal moves three points ahead of the Rangers for sixth place in the Eastern Conference with a 30-18-5 record for 65 points. Montreal also has two games in hand and is only two points behind the Boston Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens complete their weekend on Sunday when the New Jersey Devils visit for a 3 p.m. start. Montreal travels to Boston next Wednesday and plays the Islanders at home the following night.

1. HabFanSince72 says:

Nolan was already over the hill in 2003 when the Leafs signed him.

2. RC-51 says:

Benchwarmer!

3. MTLForever says:

most likely will have surgery.

4. observer says:

Malkin may need surgery. Habs looking better in Eastern Conference playoff championship race every day.

5. MTLForever says:

he’s so calm, it’s great to watch.

6. terrygain says:

Great effort by everyone. AK was terrific. Picard played well. Nice wide shot-pass on Gomer’s goal. Picard has offensive gifts and with some tutelage about the need to be a little more conservative in his own end can be a very good defenceman. I’d like to see him rotated with Spacek and Hamrlik.

7. Mike D says:

The same thought crossed my mind as well. Actually I’ve been thinking about that for a while now that if Staal can establish himself as a legit 2nd line center, then either he or Malkin (likely Malkin due to the higher salary) becomes tradeable for an elite winger, or two very good wingers.

– Honestly yours

8. RJB says:

Arpon Basu tweets that the Pens have played just 2 games with Malkin Crosby and Staal all in the lineup…wow

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo Baggins

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Happy birthday 🙂

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. SmartDog says:

Wow – I think I married her twin!

And she says I turn six when my son takes the wii out.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

11. MTLForever says:

Price, solid game. ELLER AND AK46 played very well.

Some scary moments from our D (weber, spacek especially)

Nice goal by Gomez

12. observer says:

Habs missing Markov, Gorges, Wiz and Auld and still shutout the Rangers!

13. MTLForever says:

not sure

14. observer says:

Play them on Wed and Paille is suspended and Savard out with concussion.

15. observer says:

Price was in total control. Excellent game!

16. JohnBellyful says:

Montreal win: Price      Tortorella’s look of disgust: Priceless

17. Bill H says:

How sweet it is.

3 game winning streak.  Boston loses so we just 2 points back, and 1 point back on Washington.

We are one point ahead of the pace we set 2 years ago when we came in first in the conference.  I won’t hold my breath waiting to catch Flyers, but we are doing very well.  Cammy should be back soon too.

18. ooder says:

hahaha well played man!

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

19. Mattyleg says:

Good read!

The NHL is so dumb. Back in the 80s, people fought because they actually hated each other. Now there’s this whole stupid ‘respect’ thing that’s going way way too far.

Don’t take that to mean that I’m supporting head-shots and hits from behind, but the actual competitive fire has gone out of the league, and I blame that on all the money the players earn.

Spoilt millionaires who don’t like people acting up in their exclusive club.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. dancevon says:

Hoping for a Habs win today on my 23rd Birthday!

21. dancevon says:

Hoping for a Habs win today on my 23rd Birthday!

22. savethepuck says:

I think a lot of teams would like a 4th line center with lots of playoff experience, unless Bob doesn’t care how good the player is.  Has he ever heard of a salary cap, which I think I’ve heard, Vancouver is nearly maxed

23. HabFab says:

Happy Birthday and I too was 23 twice…;)

24. Say Ash says:

That’s nothing. My wife is 29 every year.

25. J_P says:

Whats amazing is how players will talk about respect when it comes to harmless antics like bow and arrow gestures, and spinoramas before the blueline, but when it comes to actual harmful acts like blindside hits to the head of an unsuspecting player, the players will actually defend their guilty teammate (except for andrew ferrence, and good for him for calling out Paille).

Mike Richards goes out every game and tries to literally end the careers of his fellow players, and than has the audacity to call out PK for a little chirping.  Seems like the players dont even know the meaning of the word “respect”.

26. Chris says:

That comment wins! 🙂

27. MTLForever says:

MALKIN TORN ACL AND MCL!

28. habs365 says:

don’t like that..making things easy for philly

29. Chris says:

Glad we didn’t do my proposed trade froma week ago! 😉

Wow…big blow for the Penguins, but also an intriguing opportunity to finally see what Jordan Staal can do. If Staal grabs the reins in anything approaching a reasonable manner, the Penguins can really look at trading Malkin in the off-season. It might be a gift to the franchise in the long run while being a huge blow for this season.

30. andrewberkshire says:

Man he’s been unlucky with injuries lately.

31. habs365 says:

Don’t be nasty

32. andrewberkshire says:

I think Malkin has missed almost all the time since Staal’s been back in the lineup, last game was his first game back. Staal however, hasn’t exactly ‘grabbed the reins’ yet. He’s scored just over a point ever 2 games despite getting primo icetime and pp time.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Poor guy, I knew he had knee problems in the last couple of seasons but damn… hope he can make a good recovery from this, I always thought physically, he had more talent than Sid.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

34. Chris says:

Still early, though. For Staal, who was coming off a nasty hand injury, this is essentially the pre-season. He ended last year with the same tendon injury as Andrei Markov suffered, missing the first 12 games of the season due to the re-hab and an infection following that surgery.

Then he broke his hand in practice, missing another 39 games. You have to expect some rust.

So he might be on pace for another typical Staal year (20 goals, 50 points) which is decent for a #2 centre. He did show some promise, with 8 points in 9 games after going scoreless in his first 5, but only 1 of those points has been in the last 4 games. Time will tell.

35. Mike D says:

Never like to see players get hurt – especially ours, and Lord knows we’ve had more than our share over the years – but no Malkin improves our chances against them.

– Honestly yours

36. MTLForever says:

THAT WAS A HEAD SHOT ON SPACEK!

37. Rudy says:

Not the this will happen, but can hit be looked at by the NHL after the game even if there wasn’t a penalty called? If so, I hope Canadiens management asked for it to be looked at.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

38. oldrrty says:

Am I the only that was screaming do not miss the net?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

39. dre1744 says:

we need this win today Bruins lost so we can catch ground on em and break away from the wanna bees chasin us!!!!!!

40. dre1744 says:

we are gettin are asses kicked in the faceoff circle. Plekanec is 1 for 10. Gomez is our best at 5 out of 10..

On a side note Andrei is playing well hopefully he can pot one for us in the third hes getting some good chances

41. LA Loyalist says:

BREAKING NEWS FLASH!!!!

Bob MacKenzie of TSN writes that “…the primary need (for Vancouver) is a fourth-line centre with lots of playoff experience.”

PG! Get on the phone! They’ll take Gomez!!!!!!!! What are our demands? Hmmm, a case of Kokanee and some Nanaimo bars will do it for me? What do you guys want?

“A day without bashing Gomez is a day without my meds.”

42. _Habsoloutly_ says:

That was a good read and bang on.  thanks for posting it.

43. deuce6 says:

In another non-related story, I came across this article posted in McLeans’ website..Talks about PK’s antics and defends his play:

“The National Ho-Hum League”..Sounds about right..lol

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

44. MTLForever says:

yes would be nice if he gets rotated in because he just sat 10 games and then came in. WIZ may not go tomorrow also.

45. observer says:

he “chilled out” the rangers

46. MTLForever says:

They got into our zone too easily, however, it was great to keep them to the outside.

47. Storm Man says:

I guess you are missing the meds today.

” Not everyone can afford a brilliant stock advisor like storm”. TripleX 01/25/2011.20:16

48. jimmy shaker says:

With a “W” tomorrow we move into 1st place in the division and 3rd overall.  But the cubs will have a game in hand still but it will make wednesday tilt that much more interesting.

Shaker

49. RC-51 says:

For a guy who has been riding the pines Picard played a hell of a game 1 assist, 4 blocked shots(one of them late in the 3rd) and tried to knock out that GOOF!!

Price looked in the zone.

Well deserved W! Huge 2 PTs with the B’s losing

50. observer says:

could part of it also been martin did not want to burn the habs out today with another very winnable game tomorrow afternoon facing them and had them playing defensively?

51. StevieRay says:

I thought he should of been the 3rd star………

52. MTLForever says:

definitely.

53. Willy the bum says:

I don’t know, the Devils are getting back on their feet, especially Martin F.  A few days ago, I heard their last 10 games a record of 8-1-1.

Well hope for a win tomorrow anyways, and afterwards the Habs will enjoy a good beer and the Super Bowl game.

54. deuce6 says:

Does Auld play another position IDK about? lol

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

55. MTLForever says:

5 – Team-high number of hits thrown by rookie forward Lars Eller in the contest.

Nicely done, and a solid game by him. he may not be putting up points like people want him to but he’s doing the little things with ease.

56. MTLForever says:

was just getting scary cuz of it

57. Willy the bum says:

Happy birthday to us! I’m 27 now, and I heard a great win today! Nice.

58. ABHabsfan says:

According to TSN, some guy playing in the KHL shot a puck 110.3 MPH! That’s insane! Kulyash, plays for Omsk, drafted bt Preds. Imagine him and Weber teeing-off together on the point?

59. deuce6 says:

Great defensive win and the team played really well in front of Carey, but where is the offense? We have games where we drive hard to the net and fill the thing and other games, like this one, we play a perimeter game and get next to no pressure..Say what you will..We need a big body that can play top 6 minutes..

Don’t crucify me here, but a real cheap option would be Owen Nolan..Yes, I know he is an old fart, but he can bring even more leadership for a stretch run..He has s cored 41 goals in his last 2 season in the NHL..One more kick at the can? BTW, he is more than a PPG player in the Swiss pro league..23 points in 20 games..

What do we have to lose if he signs for league min?

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

60. bigdave says:

Probably was KPH and they didn’t convert!

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

61. RC-51 says:

According to CBC we have 10 more points and 6 more goals scored than this time last year.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Imagine shot-blocking that guy? It hurts to think about it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. ABHabsfan says:

Being a goalie, just thinking about facing a shot like that makes my nuts shrink.

64. RC-51 says:

FYI for anyone living in GTA and doesnt have RDS 8 of 13 HABS games in Feb. are on TV. TSN & CBC

65. Habs Proud says:

Another solid win, this team quietly goes along. Especially great coupled with a Bruins loss. Price makes it look easy, AK was as good as I’ve seen him in a while, Eller was solid too

66. WindsorHab-10 says:

Got the job done, that’s all that matters. Would love to kick Brodeur’s ass tomorrow.

67. citizenSanto says:

BREAKING NEWS FLASH!!!!

Wiping your a$$ with your CH jersey may cause irritation.

—————————————

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

68. savethepuck says:

So 2 pts out of 3rd and only 4 pts out of 2nd place, added that because I don’t think anyone’s mentioned 2nd place which is an extra round of home ice advantage if 1, 2, and 3 all advance.Team’s playing great. First SO for Carey since November, picked a good time to get it, when your team only scores 1 ( and the empty netter).  Fun game to watch, I know not a lot of scoring but for me it’s better to see lot’s of scoring chances and great goaltending at both ends.  Biron played very strong as well.  since our losing streak in December, we are one of the hottest teams in hockey again.  another 2 points tomorrow will be equally as important, New Jersey playing really well of late so we can’t take them lightly and we embarassed them a bit last time we played.

3 afternoon games in the NHL today  and the scores were 2-0, 2-0, and 3-0 with all 3 games having an empty netter. Wish I took the grand salami under today.

69. savethepuck says:

I was hoping people would give credit to AK and Eller for a great game even though they didn’t score. I noticed the same thing.  Have to add Picard to that too, I think we have a lot of depth at D, don’t know why so many people think we need to pick someone up at the deadline.

70. MTLForever says:

exactly those guys deserve credit. eller deserves more credit for other games also, people expected him to be an all star right away. hes young, hes getting some playing time now and out of his natural position. i like how he was dishin out hits today too

71. Chips says:

2 big points nice game, good effort. AK, Eller, Picard all excellent. And Carey! Carey! Carey! And Gomer scored WTF!!!! Bring on Brodeur! Cheers!

25 in 2011