Game 52: Win over Panthers gives Habs sixth place

Canadiens’ Jeff Halpern falls into  Panthers goalie Tomas Vokoun during Wednesday night at the Bell Centre. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Alex Auld | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin | Tomas Plekanec | Jeff Halpern

• At a Glance: After giving up the first goal of the game yet again, the Canadiens didn’t give the Florida Panthers much else on Wednesday night en route to a 3-2 win at the Bell Centre. Panthers rookie Scott Timmins scored 7:30 into the first period for his first career NHL goal. The puck bounced around in front of Alex Auld before landing on Timmins’s stick for an easy tap in into the empty side of the net. Jeff Halpern got that one back for the Canadiens 4:50 into the second period when he deflected a P.K. Subban point shot beyong Panthers goalie Tomas Vokoun. In the third period, Tomas Plekanec took advantage of a turnover in the neutral zone to give the Canadiens the lead. He attacked the net and his shot went off Vokoun and into the air before bouncing off a Florida defenceman and crossing the goalline 5:46 into the period. Brian Gionta scored his 19th of the season to make it 3-1 when he collected the rebound off a great rush by Max Pacioretty and banked a shot off of Vokoun and into the net at the 11:32 mark. It was Gionta’s 199th career NHL goal. Stephen Weiss scored with 2:10 to play to make it 3-2 just after the end of a Canadiens penalty and with Vokoun on the bench for an extra attacker. Alex Auld earned his first win in front of his home fans and improved to 4-2 in seven starts this season.

• What It Means:
Montreal improves to 29-18-5 for 63 points, moving them into sixth place in the Eastern Conference, one point ahead of the New York Rangers with a game in hand. Montreal now trails the Washington Capitals by a point for fifth place.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens play a pair of matinees during Super Bowl Weekend with games against the New York Rangers on Saturday and New Jersey Devils on Sunday.

Hopefully not in the post-season.

2. homerbowen says:

Every effort should be made to remove Gomez from this team.

An ok win. Nothing to be too excited about. We need to start burying teams like Florida, and not hang onto a single goal lead with 2 minutes to go. Overall, not a bad game though. Boring as hell, but ok.

And would there be a game where Gomez doesn’t take a stupid retaliation penalty just cause he can’t take a hit or can’t stand getting roughed up in a corner a bit? Some leader.

4. jennifer1984 says:

not in the regular season.

maybe playoffs if we have to face them.

5. ClaytonM says:

…and Debbie Downer returns.

wah-waaaah

6. Duracell3 says:

Omsk is very good this year and fun to watch, Cervenka is amazing and Perezhogin is looking like he did when he first went to Salavat. Granted outside of the top 4-6 teams there isn’t a whole lot of competition, I would be suprised to not see Omsk at least in the semi-finals.

Two wins and everybody is happy. When are we playing Philly again?

8. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Those are some ridiculous stats. I think Brendan has rested his case. His previous, over-aged center was definitely not the sole reason he was producing. And Ramo…wow – that Desjardins deal looks like a steal right now, but I won’t get over-hyped just yet. Dirty statistics though.

Thanks for the update, Rob – I envy you!

9. ClaytonM says:

Agreed 110%, but might as well wish for Crosby when he’s a UFA, Nash, Shea Weber, or Kopitar. Franchise players rarely move, but when they do the price a team pays for them is usually too much.

10. zaq007 says:

Although impossible I would LOVE iggy here

11. Da Hema says:

And how does your speculation that the Montreal Canadiens are allegedly anti-Russian account for Andrei Markov?

12. deuce6 says:

No thank you..Old, broken down, and a bad back…We don’t need him..If that’s the case, just keep the assets and bring in Owen Nolan…I would MUCH rather Nolan over Arnott…Not saying I want either, but if you are going to dump assets for over the hill guys like Arnott, what difference would Nolan be for nothing?

Personally, I want CAL to drop out of the playoff race and go after Regher..IMO, we need a stay at home guy that can log big minutes before adding another forward..Pacioretty is filling in admirally and Cammy should be back soon..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

13. habs365 says:

Arnott is finished..we need someone like Penner or Weiss and Seabrook for defence..this team would be improved for the next 5-7 years…..

14. deuce6 says:

Agreed on Gomez…Paying the guy 7M+ for what? To put the team down a man late in the game and make blind passes up the middle on the PP? Yea, he can skate, but how about some damn offense, huh?

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

15. deuce6 says:

Move into 6th..1 point over the NYR with a game in hand..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

16. rob_c says:

Amen.

Kosititsyn:

4th – in team scoring with 29 points (ahead of Gionta, Gomez, Pouliot…etc)

2nd – in +/- (1 behind Plekanec)

3rd – in shots with 128 trails only Gionta(203) and Plekanec(150)

T2nd – in game winning goals, only Gionta(5) has more

T3rd – in goals with 13

1st – in hits with 97 (19 up on second place Subban)

- Only 3 players (Darche, Gionta and Pyatt)have fewer penalty minutes among all hab’s players dressed for at least 40 games. keep in mind Kostitsyn has played 51. and his average ice time is higher then both Darches’ and Pyatts

-not sure if you’ve all noticed but Martin has had Kostitsyn on the ice in the final minute of most close games all year, especially lately. clearly he has the coaches trust.

I’m a long time reader but don’t usually post. Truth be told I’m not a big Kostitsyn fan myself, but whyyyyyyyyy are people always on this guys case? Is it because he was drafted in the 1st round? is it because he can barely speak english let alone french? Is it because of the incident involving the guy from the mob? or the fact he’s SK’s older brother? Maybe its because he looks like Chris from family guy. personally I have no idea what the reason or reasons may be but I know what there not. I know noone has a problem with his salary cuz compared to some of the other chumps on this team he’s beyond a bargain.

I’m aware his skills are as good as anyones on the team and he might not be putting up numbers like all of you wanted him to. When I look at our teams stats there isn’t a player beyond Darche who’s exceeded my expectations.

Back off Kostitsyn everyone!

17. rob_c says:

Amen.

Kosititsyn:

4th – in team scoring with 29 points (ahead of Gionta, Gomez, Pouliot…etc)

2nd – in +/- (1 behind Plekanec)

3rd – in shots with 128 trails only Gionta(203) and Plekanec(150)

T2nd – in game winning goals, only Gionta(5) has more

T3rd – in goals with 13

1st – in hits with 97 (19 up on second place Subban)

Back off Kostitsyn everyone!

18. rob_c says:

Amen.

Kosititsyn:

4th – in team scoring with 29 points (ahead of Gionta, Gomez, Pouliot…etc)

2nd – in +/- (1 behind Plekanec)

3rd – in shots with 128 trails only Gionta(203) and Plekanec(150)

T2nd – in game winning goals, only Gionta(5) has more

T3rd – in goals with 13

1st – in hits with 97 (19 up on second place Subban)

Back off Kostitsyn everyone!

19. VancouverHab says:

“Stupid retaliation penalties” can be caused by selfishness and-or laziness.

They can also be called by a desire to express intensity and honestly work oneself out of small or large slumps.

(a.) Which alternative is true of Gomez right now?

(b.) Is Gomez the only player doing this regularly? (Hint: he isn’t.)

20. christophor says:

Andrei K – 13G – 16A – 29P – 26YO – (+12) – 3.25mil

D. Booth – 15G – 12A – 27P – 26YO – (-11) – 4.25mil

Same GP

We’re drooling over Booth and chasing Andrei out of town?

I’ll keep Andrei for now, thanks.

Andrei is the unjustified whipping boy, not Gomez.

Nice update.

Gallagher still has to play in the AHL and NHL. Same for Ramo. Nevertheless, to see two Habs prospects excel in their current leagues is encouraging.

Players can fall out of the competition for playing time quickly though when moving onto the next level. Mayer is a good example. Fortunately, the Habs seem to be graduating more than before and less are dropping out. All hail the education system.

22. mjames says:

Good post. I think the dissenters are from the pro Boone crowd. He usually gets them riled up when he blogs and then they go on and on. I see no valid reason for the vitriol that AK46 is subjected on HIO, although there seems to be an inherent bias against Russian players in general in Montreal. The crap that AK46 had to endure concerning that “mob” fiasco would have been laughable if it had not been so sad. I can recall the journalists being front and center with this “hearsay” story. I know AK46 can play much better but why play for some team or city that clearly does not “have your back”. This guy will leave and he will go one to realize his full potential. We of course will left with the likes of Gomez, a selfish overpaid player who contributes nothing to this team.  The pro Boone zealots of course will seek out another whipping boy. There should be a sign over the Canadiens locker room “Only English and French need apply”.

Why do Russian players seem to fair so well in Detroit?

mjames

23. observer says:

Not an 88 point team anymore!

24. CanadienBoy says:

The gomer was terrible last night ,seem to pass at the wrong time and created turn over ,Toronto need a center don’t they ?

25. habs03 says:

Wow, something positive from you, hope your having a great morning buddy.

26. McManager says:

More interesting stats:

Andrei K – 50Gm – 13G – 16A – 29P – 26YO – (+12) – 3.25mil

Sergei K – 47Gm – 12G – 16A – 28P – 23YO – (+3) – 0.55mil

27. sholi2000.com says:

Most of the dedicated members are not here on game night.  We are in the Boone Section and it’s pretty active in there.

They Call Me Shane

28. shiram says:

Whatever Little K can achieve in the league, he was not and didnt not seem to want to do it in Montreal. I would not fault the team for that one.

29. jrshabs1 says:

Timo the “terrible” is back in the house.

Go Habs Go!!

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Not everybody is happy. You’re as miserable as always.

We’ve played 14 games since New Year’s Eve. Our record is 9-3-2 for 21 points out of a possible 28.

Our only two regulation losses have been to Philly and Pittsburgh, two of the 4 best teams in the league.

Philly has 4 losses over the same stretch. Pittsburgh also.

31. observer says:

2 more  afternoon wins this weekend which is highly possible if the habs play 2 more games this way and everyone will be even happier as they go to watch the packers/steelers game.

32. habs03 says:

I hope so, I hate A.Kost so much but I think he gets a lot heat, he stats compared to other guys aren’t that bad, he leads the team in hits, but his hockey IQ is so low that when he isn’t playing well its not like he is even playing. As for Eller, I think we can take out time with him, I don’t mind the moving him from center to the wing for the time being, maybe he can develop into a playmaking winger like Tanguay was early on.

33. zaq007 says:

Personally I wanted Arnott for this team but thought he was too sluggish and that was years ago, can’t imaigne how much he wouldn’t be able to keep up now I’d take him for picks nothing more

34. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Aah cmmon Mikey. Maybe we’ll get lucky this year and won’t face them in the playoffs.

Or maybe we could get some toughness. How about signing Laraque? You know. He’s a mean, fighting machine. How about a 3 year 4.5 M deal?

35. rogieshan says:

Poster must be an Eklund groupie. I fully expect Gauthier to trade for a player who is under everybody’s radar.

36. christophor says:

You just gotta lighten up with him, maybe take his negativity a little less seriously. He’s a billy-goat in troll’s clothing. He’s not like some others who are genuinely nasty.

37. habstrinifan says:

i think we’ll win both games.. I see Subban getting his points total up. He sounds very very confident and even analyses his errors with the aplomb to learn from them.

I am hoping Boone is right and that Eller and AK46 are developing some chemistry. If these two IG, skilled guys can combine on a line with chemistry and production, it would answer much of what ails our offence.

38. habs365 says:

we may not have a lot of offence but..we’re not quitters big 2-pts tonight..february has been good so far..keep it going….

39. Da Hema says:

It’s lovely to visit this site after a win. No Timo, amongst some others.

40. Rainrocket16 says:

I always liked Arnott, however we already have the best Ex Devil! and another not so good. I really wouldn’t mind seeing what this team has deep within itself, If we are to make a trade I would love to have someone with some girth on the forecheck.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Juniors Report:

RW Brendan Gallagher continues to be the most explosive offensive prospect for Montreal this season. Now has 34G, 36A in 52GP, he is scoring at a 1.64PPG average since the calender turned to 2011. He has 19 games on his schedule to match his career best of 41G, 40A last season, safe to say that old record is goin’ down.

KHL:

G Karri Ramo has only lost one game in his last eighteen starts. Let that sink in for a minute.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. Julie H says:

I was at the game and I’m not gonna lie: the first period was a serious buzzkill. Usually I don’t get out of my seat until the game is over. Last night I left to get food during the first intermission, that’s how much I needed to rub my eyes, run around, fill my stomach and think “I hope they can pull it together in the second”

They did pull it together in the second and I was very happy for that.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

43. habstrinifan says:

Not an EKLUND groupie. I just read everything that has the name Canadiens from the sites I know about. I have a low opinion of Eklund’s rumours but it is still fun reading.

He has gotten worse with his crap rumour chart which apparently he charges for you to see.

44. habstrinifan says:

You convinced me. I was on the fence. I guess I just remember the grit of his early career. I dont want us to give up on drafts/prospects to bring in a young ‘annointed’ superstar. I really want experience steady ‘make the other guys better’ player.

a selfish overpaid player who contributes nothing to this team

Your post indicates that zealotry better describes the anti-Gomez crowd rather than the anti-AK46 one.

46. habstrinifan says:

Please please keep GIONTA away from Gomez. I truly believe that GIONTA would be a greater player and a better CAPTAIN if he became more independent of Gomez.

And it may also remove a crutch from Gomez and tell himm that he doesnt have the captain’s ear anymore so he better change.

DO NOT REUNITE GOMEZ/GIONTA on a permanent basis.

47. habstrinifan says:

I would be in Montreal the next day surveying my vantage point for the parade. I think Iggy would be outstanding in Montreal and with this team. Iggy would wear this uniform with PRIDE and excitement. He would be like 5 yrs younger in his heart and spirits.

48. habstrinifan says:

Timo, expect a trade to improve our chances against a Philly soon. And when that happens I think Montreal will be a contender even against Philly…… providing of course JM allows the youth to keep coming out of their shell and doing what they were drafted for, which seems to be happening.

49. ds says:

If MTL is going to go after an older devil, go after Elias not Arnott, and put back the Gomez-Gionta-Elias line.

Otherwise suggestions are Milan Hedjuk, or Jarome Iginla or Hossa.

50. christophor says:

I don’t hate Gomer but in a perfect world, someone picks up his last two years in order to hit cap floor and we start the ’12-’13 season with Pouliot at center. Also, by that time, Eller has kicked it into gear and we have 3 scoring lines with a formidable 4th line featuring White and Enqvuist.

51. blu3chip says:

Even more interesting facts:

Andrei K – Not a locker room cancer

Sergei K – Lazy locker room cancer

52. habstrinifan says:

Are we leading the league in back-to-back games. I see we are playing Saturday and Sunday agin. Geez. Enuff already!

Hope Cammy is back for one of them!

53. christophor says:

Timo is a gentleman.

54. christophor says:

It’s funny how dead this place can be after a win.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

I would not expect Cammy to be back for at least another week or two, last time they showed video of him practicing by himself he was very careful with his shoulder. He’s working to maintain fitness in his legs ATM more than getting ready to play.

I think BUF got stuck with the most B2B games this season, MTL has one more B2B this month, away-and-home with NYI-BOS next week than none until March 17th.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

56. Da Hema says:

Never met him. Perhaps he is. The Gomez/MAB shtick is lame.

57. habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the response. I hope all these back to back dont end up leading to injuries later on.

I follow team990 and either yesterday or today there was chatter that Cammy is possible for the weekend.Hope he takes as much time as he needs to heal completely.

58. habs03 says:

if we can get 3/4 points this weekend it would be perfect!

59. Da Hema says:

I agree. There are certainly bigger dyckheads than him.

60. habstrinifan says:

After a win I read as much of the good news as I can get. Just read on TSN comments from a post who is ‘fanatasizing’ Arnott will be in Habs uniform within week.

What do u folks think?

If we cant land a real impact YOUNG BIG forward, I wouldnt mind Arnott. Just unsure though if he is too much at tail-end of his career.

61. christophor says:

I was surprised they said no, flat out, instead of saying something like, “well he’s a great guy to play with and have in the locker room, but this city is also great in itself”.

Also, when you’re comparing your two best offers and one is better in terms of millions, then you almost always know what to choose.

I love Gio and Cammi, but no one was going to offer Gio that pay, and if so, not for 5 years. I was scared to think of him in his mid-30s making 5mill at first. And Cammi, well he might have gotten the 6 mill, but not the term.

62. rogieshan says:

That’s a good point, Zaq.

63. christophor says:

I don’t dislike Gomez, but I find myself replying to these reasons because they don’t hold water.

Gio and Cammi both said explicitly that Gomez’ presence here wasn’t the signing-factor. Gainey gave them both a million more reasons to sign over more years than anyone else would. THATS why.

However, I’m sure Gainey acquired Gomez to lure UFA’s over, so that WAS most likely the strategy.

64. zaq007 says:

Well the way I see it if not for Gomez no Gionta and no Gionta probably means no Cammi so I guess havign those 2 even out having Gomer…sorta

65. rogieshan says:

It’s crazy, but how else would another GM want to consider taking Gomez? Still puzzled why Gainey included Ryan McDonaugh in the deal for him that effectively allowed Sather to sign FA Gaborik.

66. LA Loyalist says:

Sigh. See below.

67. zaq007 says:

I agree with most of that statement but honestly if they were or weren’t they wouldn’t say yes to it being a factor, that’s just not good hockey talk lol

68. Duracell3 says:

I’ll take Gaborik and Koivu over Gomez and Gionta.

I’ll take 59 points and a $9.5m cap hit to 53 points and a $12.35m cap hit.

I’ll spend the extra nearly $3 million on a pool full of chocolate pudding and some models.

69. rogieshan says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the initial sales pitch include the idea of Gionta, Gomez and Cammalleri playing together on the same line?

70. Da Hema says:

Kristo would like that. He could drink himself unconscious in Florida without getting frostbite.

71. SeriousFan09 says:

Are you crazy? Kristo’s one of MTL’s top offensive prospects. You do not give up a guy like Kristo to dump salary.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

72. rogieshan says:

Panthers have cap space. Maybe they would take Gomez and a prospect (Kristo?)for Stillman and McCabe, both with outgoing contracts roughly totalling what the Gomer makes annually.

73. NoTinFoilCups says:

Yes with only 9 toes Kristo might be expendable.

74. LA Loyalist says:

It’s interesting what a change of scenery can do.

McCabe was reviled by Leaf fans like Brisebois was on HIO.

Before McCabe they were on Larry Murphy, who merely went to Detroit and helped win a cup.

The Kaberle rumours are back today — would you guys take him? And for whom/what?

75. LA Loyalist says:

Seeing as you have spare time, you might want to re-draft that last sentence. It’s sound like it’s your coat pocket that has the flavour :) instead of the ju-jube.

76. observer says:

channelsurf.eu —– and —– atdhe.me

77. punkster says:

Oh…oh…was it a green one or a red one?

***Subbang!!!***

78. JohnBellyful says:

Couldn’t access the live feed online so I ended up following the third period ‘action’ on TSN Live Tracker. Glad to see the team win but you had the wonder how they did it with all the giveaways that were recorded, by Spacek, Wiz, Desharnais, Auld and Plekanek. Florida didn’t have a single giveaway in the same span.

The question I have, without having seen the game, is: Did the Habs play that sloppy, was the game so boring the tracker had to put down something, however inconsequential in the greater scheme of things, or does it indicate a TSN bias against the club?

Then again, am I just being sensitive, or is my life so uneventful that I had to post something because it would make a really boring diary entry. (Right now the highlight of the day is finding a ju jube in the coat pocket that still had its flavour.)

79. christophor says:

i read (1) fast and (2) can’t score.

i didn’t read (3) overpaid.

seems you’re the one stuck on the paycheck theme.

80. fbkj says:

so basically what your trying to tell us is that scott gomez doesnt earn his paycheck?

this is again, news…

81. Rainrocket16 says:

Not even the most desperate team would have him anymore. very fast player with very little scoring skills!

Go all out or Gomez!

82. JohnBellyful says:

Black, my favourite. Wait, can I say that on here?

83. dre1744 says:

Yup all Gomez is good for is dumb selfish penelties!!!!!!!

84. LA Loyalist says:

You’re forgetting about Florida jellyfish, equally risky, though the cure is always close at hand….

85. fbkj says:

sweet, come back from being scored on, against our backup, ill take it

86. Julie H says:

CAN’T WAIT!!!

87. zaq007 says:

No GM would be dumb enough to take Gomez…wait a second..

88. Rainrocket16 says:

Scott Gomez needs to go! I used to at least respect him but now he is just playing dirty piss poor hockey! If there is a way we can part ways with his god awful salary we need to do it, regardless who we get in return.

I am digging the Pleks line very much! Great win for Auld who was scary many times but was brilliant in the third! Sloppy game overall but 2 points on the board! nice work crashing the net!!!

Go all out or Gomez!

89. HabFanSince72 says:

That was ugly.

But we’ll take it.

90. ClaytonM says:

I would prefer Vladimir Malakhov over either Kaberle or McCabe, that’s how little I think of them.

91. Duracell3 says:

Wouldn’t give a fish for Kaberle, take him in the offseason if you want him, Unless the leafs really want one of the czechs for him.

92. zaq007 says:

Was hoping for a win that wasn’t only by one goal tongiht xD but good game none the less

93. RC-51 says:

FYI for anyone living in GTA and doesnt have RDS 8 of 13 HABS games in Feb. are on TV. TSN & CBC