Game 51: Gionta delivers Capital punishment

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta scores his second goal of the game on Capitals goaltender Semyon Varlamov Tuesday night. Jim Young, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Tomas Plekanec | Brian Gionta | Jacques Martin | Carey Price | P.K. Subban

• At a Glance: The Canadiens battled back from an early deficit and defeated the Washington Capitals 3-2 in a shootout on Tuesday night.
It didn’t take long for the Capitals to strike in the opening period. Mathieu Perreault took advantage of a turnover in the neutral zone and beat Carey Price 2:29 into the game. Price would probably want a second shot at that goal, which should have been stopped. Mike Knuble made it 2-0 Washington with a power-play goal 7:49 into the period. Knuble tapped home a nice pass from Mike Green, who made a nice move in the slot before sliding the puck across the crease to Knuble. The Canadiens stormed back in the second period, with captain Brian Gionta leading the charge. He scored Montreal’s first goal 8:28 into the second period with a blistering slapshot during a 2-on-1 rush that beat Semyon Varlamov to the blocker side. With less than three minutes to play in the period, Gionta was sent in alone by Tomas Plekanec and he beat Varlamov with another shot to the blocker side. Gionta also scored the winner in the shootout to cap a great night for the captain,

• What It Means: Montreal improves to 28-18-5 for 61 points.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens return home to take on the Florida Panthers Wednesday night. on Feb. 2, then play a pair of matinees during Super Bowl Weekend with games against the New York Rangers on Feb. 5 and New Jersey Devils on Feb. 6.

1. aemarchand11 says:

Yemmer

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

2. Jonson says:

the way washington is playing tonight montreal shouldnt lose this game. i really dont think they will lose. im not sure what you see but i see ( in the overall picture) that montreal is the better team tonight. if they both played their top game montreal would come out on top. its just a matter of time when montreal realizes that washington is not gonna be a hard to team to beat and scores some goals. but dont take it from me. you will see

3. Kooch7800 says:

He is just increasing the cash he will get in the KHL next year.  They are going to try hard not to let him come to North America

4. samTHEman says:

Looks like no one wants to step up tonight. Clearing the puck in random corners and expecting someone to get it out….

5. Mark C says:

Yes, but there is also only one non-playoff position team that is in reasonable range of catching Montreal. Last year three teams were within 2 points or less and five teams no more than 6 points out.

6. observer says:

On above link, note that the worst 12 attendences in the league all are American teams, several of them having good seasons right now – Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Dallas,even Atlanta. Bettman’s USA obsession.

7. Bugs says:

I don’t care if we win or lose tonight as long as we win.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I honestly wondered if I should get an exorcism performed on my jersey after that game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. DanielTheRussian says:

They shut down ADTHE? damn..thats how I watch most of the habs games. Go to Justintv “exo01″ streams all the habs games (RDS)

10. DanielTheRussian says:

11. slapshot777 says:

I agree as well. Wasn’t it said last summer that Kaberle was trying to get Plekanec to sign with the Leafs so they could play together. Now Kaberle can have that chance. Since he is a free agent come this summer. Sign with the Habs and he has his chance to play with Pleks.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

12. TomNickle says:

You can name drop all you want.  I’ll do it, Craig Patrick.  You can drop the name of a junior coach who has a misguided view of his team’s morale all you want, it doesn’t make that coach correct.

I have a question for you, did you see the game between the Bruins and Senators a couple of years ago that nearly broke the penalty minute record.  Mark Recchi was asked to fight, he shook his head in disgust.  Not because he isn’t willing to fight, because he didn’t see the purpose in such a lopsided game.

I grew up in hockey my friend.  My hockey values have been passed down by numerous coaching trees.  Brian Drumm, Glen Sather and several others.  My grandfathers, junior coaches(how my mother and father met), my father, junior player and junior coach, my uncle, junior player junior coach, me ditto.  I’ve had generations of hockey passed through me by way of x’s and o’s, motivation, code, opinions of others too.  You’re out of your element and I’m calling bs on your desire to give your opinion validation by way of vague references to junior or professional personalities.

I will be very specific in saying that I grew up around an NHL team.  By the name I mentioned you should be able to figure out which one.  This is something I haven’t shared on this site before.  I don’t feel the need to throw it in people’s faces to make a point.  But if you feel like you get some substantial status on this site based on a relationship with a couple of coaches, by all means fire away.  Just know that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover and if you don’t have a good enough relationship with those people who shared those opinions with you that you can mention their names, why should anyone believe that they actually shared those opinions with you in the first place?

So before you throw the professional or junior hockey card at me again, realize that I’ve lived my entire life in it in one way or another, be it as a coattail as a kid, a player, coach and scout.

13. Cool Ice Price says:

Carey Price don’t need no stinkin equipment, he’s that good.

Seriously, IMO Price will play great down the stretch. It will be up to our top guys to score goals for Carey. I said this before, I want Montreal to have a playoff birth wrapped up with 5 games to go to give Carey time to rest up & fine tune his game. With out a well rested Carey Price it will be a very short playoff!

Habs Passion unites us all

14. HabFanSince72 says:

We all remember that Brian Burke said “July 1 is our draft” meaning he would build the team by signing unrestricted free agents, all of whom should want to play in the mecca of hockey, rather than drafting which takes much longer.

Here are the unrestricted free agents Brian Burke has brought to Toronto so far:

1. Mike Komisarek

2. Francois Beauchemin

3. Colton Orr

4. Coby Armstrong.

5. Brett Lebda.

6. John Mitchell.

He’s a genius and he’s gonna build a winner.

Any time now.

15. SmartDog says:

Gomez is working hard tonight – I will say that, and as you know any kind of compliment to him is rare from me.

But it’s all peripheral stuff… lotsa slipperly little moves but nothing around the net.  That’s why he “looks” good but isn’t. And why he has fewer goals and points than Grabovski.

IMHO

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t forget Tom Kurvers for the draft pick that landed the NJD Niedermayer.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. The Cat says:

The fact the habs have more points than last year I think can be explained by the weak northeast division. I could be wrong but the northeast teams have been defeated more than any other division.

18. TomNickle says:

Ask the guys in the room?  Seriously?  You think that they earn some sort of moral victory when one of their players comes out on top in a fight but they lose 5-0?

You don’t fight as a way to avenge a loss.  You fight to protect your teammates and yourself from cheap shots and dirty play.

Zach Stortini coming to this team to fight in one out of every 20 games where we get blown out would be the biggest waste of money this team could show.

19. HABSFAN7 says:

can’t wait for tonights game… its been a while… can you say withdrawal? LOL

playing against Washington should be a good challenge, mind you they haven’t been very hot (including Ovi)

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Changin’ it up today, lost the beard. It had a good 3-year run but it was time to move on.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. TomNickle says:

Not that it’s by any way a dramatic improvement to the list but didn’t he sign Gustavsson too?  That was a pretty good bidding war if I recall.

22. Storm Man says:

Just wanted to say WOW and hope the people on here from New Brunswick will be going to the U2 show on July 30th. It is a must see in my books, went to the Rose Bowl concert and WOW is the only thing I could say after the show.

” Not everyone can afford a brilliant stock advisor like storm”. TripleX 01/25/2011.20:16

23. StevieRay says:

It gets even better … apparently the “MONSTER” is ticketed to the Marlies !!

24. Puck Bard says:

Link to the game PLEASE!!!!! They shut down ATDHE!!!!!!

25. Say Ash says:

I thought the “Y” was silent.

26. Psycho29 says:

To those of you saying NOT to make a trade with the Leafs for Kaberle….I think we can offer Chris Nilan, Dave Morrisette and Steve Martinson to the Laffs for Kaberle and Burkie would go for it!!

27. habs365 says:

dave – our play has improved no doubt, but we haven’t improved in the standings..if you’re happy with that what can I say….we haven’t improved like some teams ahead of us and some teams behind us that could put us out of a playoff position..that’s all I’m trying to say……

28. HabFanSince72 says:

So exactly how long did it take them to outfox Homeland Security?