Game 51: Gionta delivers Capital punishment

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta scores his second goal of the game on Capitals goaltender Semyon Varlamov Tuesday night. Jim Young, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Tomas Plekanec | Brian Gionta | Jacques Martin | Carey Price | P.K. Subban

• At a Glance: The Canadiens battled back from an early deficit and defeated the Washington Capitals 3-2 in a shootout on Tuesday night.
It didn’t take long for the Capitals to strike in the opening period. Mathieu Perreault took advantage of a turnover in the neutral zone and beat Carey Price 2:29 into the game. Price would probably want a second shot at that goal, which should have been stopped. Mike Knuble made it 2-0 Washington with a power-play goal 7:49 into the period. Knuble tapped home a nice pass from Mike Green, who made a nice move in the slot before sliding the puck across the crease to Knuble. The Canadiens stormed back in the second period, with captain Brian Gionta leading the charge. He scored Montreal’s first goal 8:28 into the second period with a blistering slapshot during a 2-on-1 rush that beat Semyon Varlamov to the blocker side. With less than three minutes to play in the period, Gionta was sent in alone by Tomas Plekanec and he beat Varlamov with another shot to the blocker side. Gionta also scored the winner in the shootout to cap a great night for the captain,

• What It Means: Montreal improves to 28-18-5 for 61 points.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens return home to take on the Florida Panthers Wednesday night. on Feb. 2, then play a pair of matinees during Super Bowl Weekend with games against the New York Rangers on Feb. 5 and New Jersey Devils on Feb. 6.

1. Duracell3 says:

He might be a lower cost (also lower talent) Markov replacement if for some reason markov leaves, otherwise I don’t see a place for him ( unless the cap space works out as a hammer or wiz  replacement, but with gorges contract coming up I’m not sure I see this happening.) I would think he would like to play in the playoffs.

2. samTHEman says:

How often do the we score 3 or 4?

3. Jonson says:

just a little rust. they are still out shooting, they have more scoring chances. they will come back for sure

4. Jonson says:

the way washington is playing tonight montreal shouldnt lose this game. i really dont think they will lose. im not sure what you see but i see ( in the overall picture) that montreal is the better team tonight. if they both played their top game montreal would come out on top. its just a matter of time when montreal realizes that washington is not gonna be a hard to team to beat and scores some goals. but dont take it from me. you will see

5. samTHEman says:

Looks like no one wants to step up tonight. Clearing the puck in random corners and expecting someone to get it out….

6. HABSFAN7 says:

can’t wait for tonights game… its been a while… can you say withdrawal? LOL

playing against Washington should be a good challenge, mind you they haven’t been very hot (including Ovi)

7. Puck Bard says:

Link to the game PLEASE!!!!! They shut down ATDHE!!!!!!

8. Say Ash says:

I thought the “Y” was silent.

9. Psycho29 says:

To those of you saying NOT to make a trade with the Leafs for Kaberle….I think we can offer Chris Nilan, Dave Morrisette and Steve Martinson to the Laffs for Kaberle and Burkie would go for it!!

10. habs365 says:

dave – our play has improved no doubt, but we haven’t improved in the standings..if you’re happy with that what can I say….we haven’t improved like some teams ahead of us and some teams behind us that could put us out of a playoff position..that’s all I’m trying to say……

11. HabFanSince72 says:

So exactly how long did it take them to outfox Homeland Security?

12. Psycho29 says:

Check out the old .net site….pretty official looking stuff!! Just need Elliot Ness’ picture on it!!

13. TomNickle says:

You know I just realized it now, your entire transition through this whole thing has been garbage, total bs.  You started with a clip from the HBO 24/7 series, then it was an OHL coach, then it became relatives and OHL locker rooms.

Can the crap.  I didn’t bring up names until you took it to that length and I’m pretty upset right now that I got sucked into your game.  So if that was your goal, congratulations.

The more I read what you said the more it stinks of a little kid trying to get out of a lie.  And like I said before, if you want to use connections to professional or junior hockey as support for your argument, you had better be willing to say who those people are.  Because your word doesn’t mean spit and like I said earlier, if you really did have a connection or relationship with people in that kind of capacity you would have no problem saying who they are.

14. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

15. HabFanSince72 says:

Auld instead of Halak.

Wiz and Webber instead of Markov and Gorges.

Halpern instead of Moore.

Gill, Spacek, and Hamr all a year older.

16. Mark C says:

Don’t remeber what position, but they were in the top 8, however only 29-28-6. This season Montreal has 9 more points in their first 50 games than they did a year ago.

17. jennifer1984 says:

i know!!! so sad.

it’s even trending on Twitter. Lots of people use that ish.

Good thing still works….

but atdhe is working on a new domain. thank god

18. TorontoHabsFan says:

Truly bad news – appears to be kaput!

19. TomNickle says:

If you think that your opinion is shared by professionals I hope you encounter one some time, you’re in for an awakening.

20. Say Ash says:

and some other teams are due for bad streaks

21. mrhabby says:

Money is pouring in but not as much as it use to given no playoffs.
    i have quite a few friends who are leafs fans and they are not a happy group. Most would love for Wilson to go…he is the wrong coach for this group. Most are pissed that Burke dropped all those pics for Kessel. if wanted a full rebuild most leaf fans would have agreed. the team is no further ahead than last year. the only effective way to deal with it for fans to stop buying tickets but thats not going to happen any time soon.

ps..burke is desperate to make a winner.

22. pmaraw says:

I agree with and sign this message!

23. Storm Man says:

The Sabres are in good shape now with a new owner Terry Pegula.

” Not everyone can afford a brilliant stock advisor like storm”. TripleX 01/25/2011.20:16

24. Say Ash says:

what position were we in last year at the break?

25. TomNickle says:

The team is 11-3-1 in division games so far this year which certainly supports the weak division case.  But we are 3-0 against the Bruins on the season also.  9 games left against the division and three of those are with the Bruins so the last half of the year should tell us a lot.

At the very least, continuing this winning pace in divisional games gives me reassurance that this team will win the division.  Winning the division is the easiest path to the Cup in my mind.  Even at #3, history has shown that top seeds get knocked off with stunning regularity.  Getting home ice will be important for this team.  I don’t put as much weight in our road record as most because it’s a result of a long road trip around Christmas time that coincided with a long losing streak.  I don’t expect a losing streak like that again this year.  I think winning 3 of every 5 the rest of the way is likely to be the path this team takes

26. fbkj says:

do you actually know any leafs fans, not talking about those who post on message boards, im talkin about bonafide torontonians?

because they are the farthest thing from being believers…

27. Kooch7800 says:

Our team in my opinion needs a couple of really physical grinders who can wear down defensemen not just to stick up for each other.

When I say pounding I don’t just mean fighting I am talking about physical play.

The grinders who can make people think twice about cheap shotting a player and can wear down D can also change momentum with a clean hit.

This is an area wear we are lacking and a team like Philly excells.  You pass the puck a lot quicker when someone is barreling down on you. Plus put the grinders out on their top D to wear them down to help out your top lines.

Hockey is a physical sport and we don’t have that dimension on this team.

28. TomNickle says:

Sabres said the same thing for two years, that clearly was BS too.