Game 51: Alexander the GR8 lights it up

Alexander Ovechkin celebrates one his four goals on Thursday night.
Getty Images

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone

The Canadiens might have stolen a point on Thursday night in Washington, but Alexander Ovechkin stole the show. Ovechkin scored four goals, including the game winner in overtime as the Caps avenged their 4-0 defeat in Montreal two days ago with a 5-4 victory.

The Canadiens were able to overcome deficits of 3-0 and 4-2 to grab a point, but they had no answer for Ovechkin, who also assisted on Viktor Kozlov’s goal in the second period, giving him a five-point night. Ovechkin now has 43 goals on the season, tops in the NHL.

The Canadiens came out flat in this one and Oveckin made them pay. He got things going in the first period when he riffled a one-timer past Cristobal Huet while the teams were playing 4-on-4. Ovechkin was left all alone to Huet’s right and the French goaltender had no chance.

Kozlov made it 2-0 in the second period with a tap-in from in front of the net on a nice feed from Ovechkin, who added his second of the game a few minutes later when Kozlov returned the favour and sent Ovechkin in on Huet, beating him with a quick shot over the shoulder.

That’s when the Canadiens got things going. Sergei Kostitsyn scored his fifth of the season 13 minutes into the second period on a pass from Guillaume Latendresse. Andrei Kostitsyn made it 3-2 with a power-play goal with less than one second to play in the frame. It marked the first time brothers have scored in the same game for the Canadiens since 1974.

Ovechkin appeared to put the game away with his third of the game midway through the third period, but the Canadiens were not done yet.

Latendresse scored with a little more than six minutes to play to make the score 4-3 and he added his 14th of the season to tie the game with 33 seconds to play and force overtime.

Huet faced 38 shots, making 33 saves on the night. Capitals goaltender Olaf Kolzig had an easier night, but allowed four goals on 21 shots.

With the point for an overtime loss, the Habs moved within five points of the Ottawa Senators, who were 4-1 losers to the Boston Bruins.

The Canadiens return home to play back-to-back matinees on the weekend. The Islanders are in town on Saturday, while the Rangers come to the Bell Centre on Super Bowl Sunday.

1. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I started a BRASHER at the top…i think it needs attention because if were talking trade then lets talk about filling a DEFICIENCY!

Yeah i agree on RECCHI, only reason they didn’t pick him up is size.

1. DON’T imprison the FLOWER, not even for an HOUR…else we’ll RIOT!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

2. Shiloh says:

AK46 is my favourite player, along with Kovy. It killed me to have him sit for four games this year while LaSlowesse dressed. Let’s throw Billy Tenderness in the trade hopper. I’d ship him, Dandy and Ryder for Jokinen in a minute.

3. Ed says:

And it is a FACT that his laffs will not make the playoffs.

4. coutNY says:

10-1-0 on Thrusdays…

5. mjames says:

The team is near the top of the league in GF. I do not think that is a weak spot. How many goals do you need?

6. Ed says:

I see lots of comments about how the Canadiens are doing in the Conference standings, but I was surprised to see that they are 5th overall in the NHL. The present and future definitely look bright. This is a young team that is only going to get better. Look at the great progress made by our young players this year. Here are the overall standings. Click on the NHL standings, and then click the league standings. San Jose and Dallas are only one point ahead of us, and we have games in hand on both.

7. Ian G Cobb says:

Sad that some people can’t recognize that we have the horses now to get us there. These dreamers better wake up soon Moey, because most of us here appreciates this group as it is. We are having a ball watching this team develop shift by shift, game by game. Winning that cup is a lot sweeter if one understands and enjoys the slow grinding development process.–Ian

8. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

but it wont be the same washington team that hits the ice tonight…thats my point.

the fact that GREEDCHKIN signed the highest contract in the history
    of the NHL and shunned us in the process, slapped our face with that
    setup…thats a lot of KARMA.

so the WALL he ran into called KOMI..the SLICE/CUT he received from
    KOSTOP, the lanes that were ripped from under his fleet skates by our

lets hope it continues…

1. DON’T imprison the FLOWER, not even for an HOUR…else we’ll RIOT!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

9. Hoegarden says:

what’s making Joki so available do you think ? His contract, some to do with Martin ? with the owners ? He seems happy in Fla.

By the way, do you type at 100 words a minute ??

10. Cable Guy says:

I totally agree with you that these guys haven’t peaked yet and it would be a huge mistake to let them go. Mike Milbury traded Luongo and Jokinen to florida for basically nobodies because he wasn’t patient. Where’s milbury now…..he’s on TSN.

11. coutNY says:

Why would you want Goc? We have a better version with Chipchura and definately in Lapierre in his position. Not even that big or gritty.

We have the room fit Hossa especially with a Ryder move… Halak is never going to get a chance here…WE don’t need another center…. If Hossa doesn’t work out we don’t try to sign him as a UFA.

We have nearly 5 million to spend at deadline… that money doesn’t get refunded to be used next year. I am sure Gillet won’t cry poverty and he already figured the money in with the ticket price hike.

This deal works for us without losing too many future assets. But I doubt it would work for Nashville!

12. Hoegarden says:

Carbo was quick to reply that both he and Boudreau had been around hockey long enough to know that even with a three goal lead with three minutes left is no guarantee. He then mentioned that he’s lost games in the past with the same situation.
    Surely, it must have been while he was with the Blues !!!!

13. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

your methodology is that these “powerhouse” teams have enough depth to trade some talent (or unproven talent) away so they can pickup some missing role or game breaker type player…fine and makes sense.

but who you give up is not 2 starters (unless they are 4th line or hotdog stand guys)

wouldn’t it be something to be a fly on the wall (hotdog stand) press box now with Dandy and Breeze talking!!!…wonder what their saying!
    1. DON’T imprison the FLOWER, not even for an HOUR…else we’ll RIOT!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

14. Bill H says:

About this Jokinen rumour.

First off, as has been mentioned already, if the rumour comes from Eklund, that pretty much guarantees that it won’t happen.

Second, I would agree with those who believe that Jokinen would be a great addition to the Habs. A big centre who has 38 and 39 goals the last 2 years, and is on track to do it again this year. He’s not a rental as he is under contract through next year, and the cap hit is $5.2M; not a lot for what we would be getting. And at age 29, he’s still in his prime and capable of producing good numbers for a few years yet. The only question, and it is a big one, is what do we give up to get him.

I haven’t come across anyone refusing to give up Dandenault and Ryder to get Jokinen. The debate gets a little more interesting when we start to talk about giving up Higgins, Pleks or K1. Let’s look at some numbers.

Has been a little slower to develop than had hoped. Age 24. Last year he was off to a fast start, but then was injured, and when he came back, he played injured for the rest of the season. In 61 games he had 22G 16A and 38 Pts. So this year we were all hoping he would take it to the next level. He hasn’t quite done that, although with a record of 16G 16A 32Pts this year, he could be doing a lot worse. He could very well have a career year, but given the promise he showed last year until he was injured, most are disappointed with him.

Centreing our most productive and consistent line this year Pleks has put up great numbers with 16G 28A 44Pts. Age 25. Last year he was 20G 27A 47Pts, so his production is going in the right direction and most believe he hasn’t peaked yet.

The youngest of the 3 forwards I am looking at here, at age 22, he has caused at least as much excited speculation about his future as anyone else on the team. This is his breakout year with 14G 16A 30Pts in 46 games.

I don’t think Jokinen is worth parting with any of these players that are key to our future. Jokinen does have more impressive numbers, but everone is focusing on his last 2 years. Take a look at his numbers when he was the age of the players that we are considering here.

Born Dec ’78
    His first full year in the league was ’99 – ’00:
    11G 10A 21Pts in 82 games

Followed by seasons of:
    6G 10A 16Pts (’00 – ’01)
    9G 20A 29Pts (’01 – ’02)
    This last stat was when he was age 23.

My point is that all 3 of our young, core players have performed at a higher level and at a younger age than Jokinen. It would be a mistake to trade them at this point in their careers. They are the very core of our future. We trade any one of them for a 29 year old and we are cashing out on at least 5 of their most productive years, and we are messing with team chemistry while we are doing it. We trade any of those guys now, and how do you think our RFAs and UFAs will feel when they are renegotiating next year and the year after? They’ll be thinking, “This is a business. The club doesn’t hesitate to trade away my buddies when they think they can improve the lineup, why should I not sign somewhere else and make a cool million a year more?”

We have the winning combination now. Show confidence in our players and help them maximize their own development. They will show their loyalty and bring us the Cup.

15. krob1000 says:

I wondered about that too in the dying minutes when we did that. I thought is would have been a good opportunity to throw out Ryder, Sergei K and maybe Lats or Smolinski. It was nice to see Kovy score but I am glad you mentioned it because when it happened I thought the same thing given the back to back thing. Then again though they fired a puck into the net after the whistle (Huet then shut them out so maybe we should let teams do that).

16. showey47 says:

actually i already made him eat crow about his alleged fact about montreal playing teams that played the night before. He claimed it happened 10 times but it only happened 5 times, 2 less times than his laffs. His facts are about as realistic as his laffs playoff chances.

17. mjames says:

NO No NO !!!!!!

18. showey47 says:

and moey you will be there to rain on the stanley cup parade with your negative comments and insults.

19. Ed says:

You are back, and now you live in Factville. I thought you lived in Dorval before. Where is Factville, and why have you changed your name from cagerattler, to factrattler, to for-fact-sakes? If you are not the original cagerattler, I apologize, but I think you are. In FACT, I know for a FACT, that you are that FACT rattler. Keep up the good work throwing those FACTS our way. We need all the FACTS we can get. In FACT, we really look forward to our HABS winning again tonight. If they win, that will be a FACT after the FACT, and if they lose, that will be a FACT after the FACT. Oh my head is spinning with all those FACTS. You can’t deny FACTS. That is why they are called FACTS.

20. habfan53 says:

In an interview in french on Tuesday Gainey said he would look to see who was available but was not a big fan of rent a player type deals. When you look at the deals made at the deadline over the last couple of years (Thachuk, Bertuzzi last year) they generally don’t pan out (Bourque was the exception).

As for my two cents the ONLY untouchable on this team for me is Mike Komisarek. Thats not to say that I would trade any player right now but he is the only one that I would not trade under any reasonable circumstances.

Our depth is in goal and on the blue line we have roster players and prospects for years to come where we lack depth is upfront (2 defencemen playing forward) and there is not much in Hamilton (Chipchura being the exception).

Even though as of today we are 2nd in points (4th in wins)in the East I don’t beleive we are a serious cup contender YET I think we need a little maturity and one or two consistent forwards

21. Habster101 says:

yes you are right,

but, Montreal learned last game how to shut down and dominate Washington, so by rights they should be able to carry it on tonight….

its not like they played another team in between, they are going right back at it…they know what their mind set is at…

surely it will be tough because the Caps will be coming out with everything they have, but if they can pop in a couple early ones it will be a peacefull night….

but they have to score early or else Washington will grow on them and cause a threat…

plus to win these two games is a playoff test to see how they do against back to back games against the oppositions…

it will be a good one, and Koldzilla will be just that….cold

22. Blitzen says:

We have SKoz for that. :hyper:

A guy who would’ve messed with Gretzky would have had the league on his ass. I think that’s even more of a deterrent than Semenko.

23. thegreatgazoo says:

Habs record on weekends (Fri-Sun): 6-11-5 (.386) 15 games left
    Habs record on weekdays (Mon-Thu): 21-4-3 (.803) 17 games left

24. krob1000 says:

I’ll make a gentlemen’s bet with you that both the 1st and 2nd place teams in the league each make significant moves. I’d even go as far to say that four of the top five teams at the deadline will make moves if not all of them.

25. ebk says:

K1 will not get Vanek money and I doubt he will get Penner money either but you make a great point. He also has the option of moving to Russia and the Habs would get nothing. He will not be cheap. Somewhere in the range of what Komisarek and Higgins received this year.

26. krob1000 says:

Read up on the Wings and Sens …they are both looking to deal.

27. krob1000 says:

I agree about pretty well all of that. Those guys are pretty well untouchable. We have Halak, Dandy, Ryder, one of Gorges, O.B., top d prospect, draft picks and several other tradeable assets that are not helping us out by sitting in pressboxes, playing limited minutes or competing against AHLers, also the rigths to Perezhogin. We have several assets (too many at Defense and goalie) so we can now address the last part of the 5 year plan which is the forwards.

28. drecha says:

No doubt, but competitors look for any edge they can get, and if there is room for improvement you have to do it. There is no perfect team out there and I assure you every team is looking to improve, whether it is for immediate needs or future needs, you have to look at all avenues to get better, trading is one effective way of doing it.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

29. Habster101 says:

difference with Breeze and Dandy in what they are ssaying is this…

Breeze-” OMG I am so glad I am back here in Montreal and Im not getting booed anymore, I hope they dont ask me to play that way I wont get hurt and I can just get payed and retire here”

Dandy- “Damn it, I want to play…I want to get out there on the ice and do something…”

thats the difference…

who do you want on the ice?

30. krob1000 says:

Jokinen and the coach Martin do not get along apparently and he is listed at the top of most rumours sites. We all know these are just rumours sites but it is still fun and there are only so many deals that could make sense. Getting Jokinen would make sense.

31. Habhopeful says:

Hoegarden…I watched the pens/thrashers game also and that was not a dirty hit by ruutu, it was all kovalchuks fault, ruutu was going in for the solid hit and kovalchuk seen it last second and stupidly only moved his upper body and left his lower body including his knees directly in the way of ruutu’s…Kovalhuck moved last second and it was too late…I dont like to see players get injured but by all accounts if you gonna attempt to dodge a hit, move your whole body dont leave one place vulnerable, in kovalchuks case he left his knees vulnerable…That was just a freak accident and in no way intentional, only because ruutu is a grinder/agitator everyone believes everything he does to be malicious…That is why he is not being suspended because the league looked at it and knew that there was no intent to injure…I’m just saying…

32. wd40 says:

For those intent to injure pentalies, it should be an eye for an eye. Ruutu sits as long as Kovalchuk does. Minimum.

33. Ed says:

You are right about Andre Kostitsyn attracting a lot of attention, and possibly being offered big money. If this happens and Montreal has to match, then they would possibly end up paying him more than they want to. This is an interesting situation, and how will Gainey deal with it. He has to be one of our biggest priorities for next season. I feel he has more potential upside than some of the guys who got big dollars last year, e.g., Penner and Vanex.

34. showey47 says:

going to be a little tougher to get the matchups against ovy tonight due to being the road team and i also don’t think the caps were impressed with us icing our top poweplay units trying to score more goals in a game that was already over. I expect the caps to come out hard early on, if we can come out of the first at least tied we will be fine.

35. Blitzen says:

I say play with them and trust your D and goalie. I think we can take them in a shoot out if we forecheck them into the ground.

36. krob1000 says:

Scorers is excatly who I am talking about. Numbers mean dollars and numbers decline in Montreal. Scorerdon’t flourish here as we are a defense first team and like to play four lines. Add in the pressure when you slump or are off your game, the taxes, the language issues , the weather and it makes it pretty difficult. I am notsaying we make a trade for the sake of making a trade but a top line scoring player is what we are missing and most in need of in my opinion. I don’t think Jokinen is a crapshoot…he has been a model of consistency and is a leader and work ethic ahas never been a questuion for him. Samsonov was a crapshoot….he is actually faring well in Carolina but the situation as to be ideal for him to thrive. Hamrlik….no argument here that was a great move. we may not like it when e is 38 and making 5 milliion but we will have him when we need him most (next three years). I don’t want to thrown in the moon wbut we have plenty of young stars to offer up. We have too many prospects and not enough roster spots going to be opening up. There ar eonly a handful of guys that I’d like to see come here (of the rumoured group). Jokinen is at the top of that list (of course dependant upon cost).

37. Habster101 says:

you want to get rid of all our strength players…our only players that hit and play physical???

c’mon, first of all a trade is not even necessary, the chemistry on the team is perfect right now…

why are we even talking about a trade?? I could see if the team was losing and trying to catch the last playoff spot or something??

but like Habs-Professor said in his earlier post…..we are in 2nd place….not 28th…

If the team goes into a flat spin, then maybe we can talk about a trade…but for now lets enjoy the way they are playing…

they are like a fine tuned machine right now….

38. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Godzilla is back in the nets and the greedchkin has a lot to prove in this bounce back game….this will be a bigger test than at home under these circumstances.

A sharp Huet will be the key in the first period and if we put in a few quick ones then all will be good…

otherwise it will have to be a ala’Devils type of dish served…and those are a rarity.

Murder capitals will come out flying…do we match them for a thrilling no whisleblowing first frame or do we sit back and try to weather the storm thats coming….and believe me, its REALLY COMING! 30-40cm of it!!!
    1. DON’T imprison the FLOWER, not even for an HOUR…else we’ll RIOT!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

39. Hoegarden says:

After watching the Pens/Trashers game last night, Gainey should seriously consider shopping for a real enforcer, ONLY if the price is right.
    That punk Ruutu got away with another cheap shot and no one knows, as of this morning, how long Kovalchuck will be out and all he gets is 5 mins for kneeing, 5 for fighting and a game misconduct. Of course Ruutu denies trying to hurt him. Nice of McCarthy to step in but not enough in my book as Ruutu will keep at it every chance he gets.
    No one ever messed with Yzerman and Gretzky. Would Probert and Semenko have anything to do with this ? We should protect our assets before we lose them to the likes of this punk.

40. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

moved under Krob thread
    1. DON’T imprison the FLOWER, not even for an HOUR…else we’ll RIOT!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

41. Blitzen says:

If I’m Gainey, I sit tight unless some ridiculous trade is offered. The Habs weren’t supposed to be this good this year. I think that, right now, Gainey has more potential downside than upside in a trade. Can you imagine him trading away while the team is going full out and then the team tanks after the trade? He would get crucified and you know it.

I say let the chips fall for this year and let other teams go out and overpay for rentals. In the offseason, I’m willing to bet that someone à la Dumont will be interested in coming here as a UFA since the team is turning into a contender. I cannot believe that ALL UFAs only care about money/taxes. Some prolly want to win too.

I could see Gainey trading some prospects for high draft picks since the next couple of drafts will be deep.

42. coutNY says:

I agree a smaller complimentary piece… would suite this team much better and with less of a price tag, both talent and money wise.

43. coutNY says:

I think Eklund had him or Svatos moving as a possibility late summer months…

44. RetroMikey says:

Latest rumour…see my post.
    “We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

45. Moey says:

Saku & the boys will be skating with the cup and people will still be making trades here.

46. rogus says:

Habs win 4-3 late in the 3rd. And I’m not “Jokin-en” LOL

47. krob1000 says:

I have enver heard of Hejduk being available or even involved in a rumour anywhere. Also they are still without Stastny, Smyth and Sakic and don’t appear to be able to afford to deal one of their scorers. When they were healthy it seemed Svatos was maybe on the table but Hejduk hasn’t come up that I have seen anyway).

48. Jay in PA says:

I don’t think BG is going to pull off any trades for name players unless it’s a Kovy-style trade in which he trades away a second-round pick and a guy who’s had a couple of cups of coffee in the NHL but doesn’t fit into the team’s plans. It’s contrary to his style, for one thing–he’s no wheeler-dealer–and there’s no one on the team, save Ryder and the spare parts (Dandy & the Breeze), that is not a part of the future and/or a key part of the present. Dandy might welcome a trade–and it will probably happen–but he won’t bring more than a role player.

It’s fun to consider big trades, and if we had Bob Clarke, Mike Milbury, or Cliff Fletcher as a GM, we could have a reasonable expectation that such a trade might take place. However, we’ve got BG, and he’s just not going to do it. Plus, compared to those guys, he’s had a lot more success building teams that win.

49. Mike says:

I noticed this yesterday and was surprised no one commented on it. I think thgat besides J.P. that this is the most realistic. I would expect either a ryder dandy and 2nd rounder for him and 3rd rounder or a ryder and prospect.

50. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Don’t do ANYTHING….We don’t need that JOKE….or any other JOKES out there…

are you people nuts!…we are in 2nd place!, not 28th!

1. DON’T imprison the FLOWER, not even for an HOUR…else we’ll RIOT!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

51. coutNY says:

I like Ol’Jokee, but who seriously would we give up that they’d be interested in that wouldn’t negatively disrupt the chemistry we’re experiencing and our future?

What center would be moved? I doubt Pleks for obvious reasons… Smokes I doubt they want a vertran 3rd line FA center if you we’re giving up on the playoff by trading OLEE, also that has a NTC to combat such a move in the first place. LaPierre??? Possibily if they we’re thinking of the future about adding a good forechecker… very questionable. Koivu??? Also has a NTC in place and at his age wouldn’t go to a non-cup contender and would negate the friendship tie to this trade. So we would have a surplus of Centers right?

Next who else would go… I am sure they would want Pleks, Kostitsyn(s), or a Higgins type prospect to offset their offensive loss, all whom are covented in this Org. I would hope!

What Defensive Prospect? O’Byrne… Valentenko…. Carle?

I guess this assumes that Eklunds rumor is what they were asking for…

But Not sure how it would work unless we give up something big that has contributed to this seasons success…

I don’t see a major move occurring unless we tank from now until deadline…

52. mrstewart61 says:

I mentioned yesterday about trying to get Hejduk. A 2nd tier talent that I think would look good on Koivu and Higgins’ line. If we could get them to take Ryder, a defenseman (Dandy or Cube, maybe Gorges) a prospect and a draft pick. How about the rights to Perezhogin?? Emelin?

53. drecha says:

You said it!, We have so much talent we are sitting veterans!! There has to be a trade to free up some roster room so we don’t have Malcontents on this team!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

54. NLhabsfan says:

Xtrahabsfan your funny to a point haha….but the NFLD. bro’s are always up for those from the island.The only thing that would appease me is a Montreal improvement now and in the future.And I speak for a lot of us in NFLD.Why try to fix something that is not broken.

55. Habster101 says:

OMG that would be a great move

I would make that trade in a heart beat if Florida would be foolish enough to fall for it…

to me, your so called “Higgy” is nothing more than just a floater who gets lucky with a goal here and there sitting in front of the net.

and oh ya, he plays keep away by himself against the other teams and loses all the time…….

never seen him make a few moves then cut into the middle and rifle a top corner shot ala Ryder…

but good call on the trade, that is one that I surely would be happy with….

you see, people think its because of Ryder why that line isn’t produsing but fact is…its “Higgy” not moving the puck smoothly and making the passes….

anyway, not all the blame should be put on Ryder because I atleast know this…when Ryder has the puck, he has the potential to score from anywhere with that wicked rifle of a shot….Higgins? what does he have…..and Im not talkin about the 5% when he does something good that seems to keep everyone happy against the 95% of the time that he fails…

If you claim to have a hockey mind, then I encourage you to just watch his game….

ya he will make a good play here and there and the rest of the time…he’s absolutely useless……

I would get Joki in and keep Ryder’s wicked sniper rifle…

Jokinen is someone we would have to seriously consider. I don’t see him as being old as he really is in his prime – he would step in and contribute in a major way right from the start. He is affordable in that he is signed for the next two years with a cap hit of $5.25 mil. He would have to play centre and be the number one centre – after all isn’t that why we’re trading for him? That means that Koivu has to move to the wing – immediately. Jokinen and Pleks would give us a great one-two punch. The other unknown is that Jokinen has never participated in the playoffs. There is always a risk involved in a situation like that. He’s big, he can skate, he can score, he’s durable, and he’s a captain. That’s a lot of positives in just one player. He is also a much better fit than guys like Richards, Marleau or Hossa.

So the question would become what would he cost? You can forget Ryder. Dandy? He would be the throw-in at the end. Florida is going to want kids and picks that don’t cost money. The deal is off if they want Pleks. That’s addition by subtraction. They don’t need a goalie after getting Vokoun. I won’t let McDonagh go. So that leaves all the other young defensive prospects, plus O’Byrne, Lats, Chipchura, and Piocretty as well as a 1st rounder. The question would become how many of those parts would they demand? If Florida is looking to go in another direction (and dump salary) then maybe it would work. If they start a bidding war and put a gun to our head then I say forget it.

By the way, there is another route to get a big centre who can help combat the other team’s centres in the playoffs. We could try and deal for a large third line centre who can win faceoffs and contain the other team’s #1 centres. We could then move Laps to the wing and dump Ryder. The cost would be much less and we would keep most of our prospects intact. You could get a decent third line centre for about $3 mil – the same amount we are now paying Ryder.

The Original 24 Cups

57. Cable Guy says:

It’s actually a good time to make a trade when your playing well because you have the upper hand. If you try and make a trade when your losing it’s harder because whoever you make a trade with thinks your desperate. If someone good fell in our laps while were on a roll why not do it.

58. drecha says:

I agree Krob, We have too many prospects in the pipeline, there has to be some movement in that area, the only concern I have is how many roster players we would have to move to land a top notch player like Jokinen. I am all for throwing Ryder and two or three prospects or draft picks in a package for Jokinen but not much more than that. Allthough I seriously doubt that that would be enough to do it. I have complete faith in Gainey to do what is necessary to get this team to being a cup contender.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

59. HABZ 24 says:

why make a trade at this point? were winning !! team chemistrys great why take a way bobs the type to trade away young talent. he builds thru the draft and its working!!for once we have alot of good able bodys, so much so were sitting veterans,and more great talent on the farm,the futures bright!, keep things as they are and lets go kick some ass the rest of the way!! GO HABZ GO!!

60. Corio says:

Stick with the current youth/roster and we will go places, make drastic salary cap hitting trades and it will hurt imo..

61. krob1000 says:

Folks ….I openly admit to live vicariously through the Habs and I am one of the most loyal followers you will ever find but when it comes to improving your team you sometimes have to make tough decisions. First I must state what should be obvious and that is sometimes the best deals are the ones that aren’t made…..I fully acknowledge the truth in that statement. However those against a roster move (let’s be clear if we don’t benefit then it WILL NOT be made) must acknowledge that you must give something to get something. We must also try and look at things somehat objectively and realize that although we have come to really like some of our players like loyal fans should that some may be better off eleswhere an some are really not as good as we think they are.

Gainey has done an incredible job in rebuilding this team and the plethora of young talent in the pipeline indicates a strong,affordable,evolving core for years to come. He has also acquired so many defensive prospects that we CAN afford to take a chance and get a top tier player for our run over the next few years. Jokinen to me fits that bill although I admit the likelihood of us getting him is probably very slim to none. These hypotetical trades are fun though and the internet is great place to debate them.

People are discounting our depth and not realizing the relationship between our growth and our abundance of assets right now. The timing is right to try and do something and Gainey has to see that. Interesting stat for all of you THE SENATORS ARE 17-17 since Nov. 15th. Can we compete witht he West this year, next year and the year after is the question though. People also forget how Gainey has already tried openly (Smyth, Shanahan, Briere,etc) to add one more top player. This IS an ongoing effort if and/or when the right opportunity presents itself he will pull the trigger. Jokinen is a big center, a scoring center, a leader, a friend of Koivu’s, 29 years old, a perrenial 35 or 40 goal guy,etc. Of all of the guys rumoured to be available Jokinen is one of the guys I’d be all for.

I don’t think he would have any trouble fitting( never heard anything bad about him) in and that is one factor that makes me believe there may be an interest (an interest is a long way from serious talks but this would make sense). Tanguay also intrigues me becasue he is signed for next year at what I believe to be fair value (some disagree) and he would be cheaper given Calgary needs to dump his salary (or so goes the rumour). Phaneuf is supposedly close to his deal so I guess that will impact things (who knows maybe he is going to give the Flames a discount a la Sens or Wings…..if he signs for big bucks then Tanguay just amy move.

62. Wops says:

If Jokinen is coming to Mtl, Higgins is going the other way for sure…

They’ll want something very good in return, Joki is still sign for the next 2 years.

A Higgins, High D-prospect (McDonagh, Emelin), 1st, Conditional pick…

I think that’s what it takes…I dont know if I want too though…I love Higgy!!

To have something good, you need to give something good.
    CH is for Chris Higgins

63. Xtrahabsfan says:

We should trade Ryder for another Newfoundlander to appease our Hab bro’s from you know were!lol…

64. RetroMikey says:

Listening on the radio from Hamilton, there has been a rumour of Marian Hossa going to Montreal for Halak and Ryder possibly. I hope this is a rumour, I definitely don’t want the guy coming here or his big fat salary! We’ll be fine without him. Don’t do this deal Bob! Send them to San Jose for Marcel Goc!
    “We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

65. NoTinFoilCups says:

Trades are part of the business, that’s how we got Kovalev. I think Gainey realizes we have prospects to spare. Remember Beachemin and Hainsey had their cup of coffee with the Habs before we lost them through waivers. If we can get Jokinen (the guys got 8 or 9 good years left) for Ryder, Higgy, a defensive prospect and a #1 pick I say let’s do it.

66. krob1000 says:

The thing that differs from this Bob Gainey and the Bob Gainey of other years is that Montreal can’t seem to attract free agents. We never draft high enough to get superstars that way(apologies to Pleks and the Kosty’s if they prove this to be untrue)but by trading you can get these guys. Ryder is tradeable despite his off year….he could excel in other systems and with regular pp time. Dandenault alone would not fetch anything…packaged with Ryder and a prospect or two and/or a pick and that can be worth it for some teams looking to rebuild. We may have to give something up we don’t want to but wouldn’t it be nicve to have a guy like Jokinen. I do expect him to try and make a deal of significance and whether or not a good enough one appears is a different story. There have been reports saying that everyone seems to want a top six forward and top four d-man….so maybe the cost will be too high….he has to be looking though.

67. Jay in PA says:

As usual, you make good sense, coutNY.

Making trades is akin to performing surgery. Fantasy GMs don’t need to think about what goes on in the room, how everyone will fit in on the ice, etc. Real-life GMs, if they’re good, put a lot of thought into it. The team is an organism, and when you trade someone, you’re tearing away a guy who has relationships with others on the team and plugging in someone new who has to get to know everyone, learn the team’s ways, learn to communicate with new linemates, etc. A trade also communicates to the team how the GM thinks of it.

We’re playing good hockey, and the fan consensus is that we haven’t necessarily reached a plateau, but can continue to attain higher levels. The team has matured tremendously in the past year and every indication is that it will continue to do so. This is not a team that is beset enough with problems that trades are necessary to salvage the season, nor is it a team that necessarily needs one more great player to make the leap–we’re #2 in the conference (though Philly has a game in hand) and on the march. Making no trades makes perfect sense. Making minor trades for role players makes some sense. Making a big trade makes none whatsoever.

And for those of you advocating trading Ryder… Who would want a slumping sniper whose contract is up this year? If you trade away your problems (Ryder, Dandy), all you are going to get are some other team’s problems in return. You might make the deal on the mutual hope that a change in environment will make the difference, but again, that’s a desperate measure.

68. krob1000 says:

I honestly don’t remember that but I believe you guys if you say it so. This damn Eklund guy eh!!! At least he has us talking. I like Hejduk but given the injuries I can’t see anyone being expendable there.

69. Xtrahabsfan says:

And how well will we do if Kovalev”hope not ” or Pleks or a combo of whom ever get injured,eh? People like Burke understand that and that’s why they got the cup. That’s reality!

70. Blitzen says:

We were down two goals to a shutdown team (Devils) and managed to win. I think Washington’s D-play isn’t close to that of the Devils so we’ll get our chances. Just need to bury most of them and we’ll be golden. Also need to keep hitting Ovechkin.

Early in the year, when the Habs were down a goal, it was almost time to switch channels. Now, I think they can come back against anyone.

71. Roy-Rules says:

We can trade Ryder, Dandy and Halak to some other team and pick up picks/prospects from them and use that to get Jokinen, I don’t think its a bad idea to give up a prospect defenseman, we have so many coming up. Komi, Markov and Hamrlik are gonna be around for a few years, theres no way we can keep all our prospects on the team.

72. Roy-Rules says:

73. Jay in PA says:

A trade is a crapshoot. A trade for a streaky, slumping sniper who’s a UFA at the end of the year is a complete shot in the dark for most GMs. I’d love to have Jokkinen, but he’s not worth the future value of whatever we would realistically have to give up to get him.

I’m not sure I agree with your comment that BG can’t seem to attract free agents. I think we’ve done a reasonable job — Sammy looked to be a good pickup originally, and Hamrlik’s been a revelation. If you’re talking about top scorers, then I’d agree with you, but those guys cost the moon and stars in a trade. I think, as the team gets more of a reputation as a top-tier club, the big UFAs will be more willing to listen to Bob’s pitches. Of course, we may not need them at that point.

74. krob1000 says:

A little off topic but anyone feeling concerned about tonights game (JT or Boone). I need to know who to pick for my proline ticket.

75. RetroMikey says:

I would consider Komisarek, Higgins, the Kostitsyns, O’Byrne, and others on the farms as our prospects and our future and Latendresse as one that I would trade. He’s struggling and I am sure we can put him in a package with Ryder, Dandeneault, Boullion and even Begin for maybe even Jokinen from Florida. Hey, whatever team makes this trade gets experienced players in return.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”