Game 50: Huet, Habs blank Caps, Ovechkin 4-0

Links updated Wednesday at 6:58 am

Canadiens’ Sergei Kostitsyn converts a Tomas Plekanec pass for a first-period goal against Washington Capitals goalie Brent Johnson.
Christinne Muschi, Reuters

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone | Carbonneau Post-Game Audio | Players Post-Game Audio (from RIS)

Those fans hoping the Canadiens would pick up where they left off last week – a marvelous come-from-behind victory over the nearly invincible New Jersey Devils – are not disappointed tonight.

The Canadiens returned to action following the NHL’s annual all-star break with first-period goals by Mark Streit, Sergei Kostitsyn and Saku Koivu, then shut down Washington superstar Alex Ovechkin with perfect Cristobal Huet goalkeeping until Alex Kovalev netted a final-minute goal to record a 4-0 triumph over the Capitals at the Bell Centre.

Huet made 35 saves to record his second shutout of the season, the first coming Nov. 5 against the Buffalo Sabres. It was his 15th career whitewash.

With the win over coach Bruce Boudreau’s Capitals, the Canadiens remain six points behind the Eastern Conference-leading Ottawa Senators, 5-2 winners over the Islanders tonight on Long Island. The Habs hold a game in hand.

Montreal improved to 10-8-5 at the Bell Centre, a little less of a black hole for the home team, for an overall record of 27-15-8.

In name, at least, this was the same sport that staged an all-star game on Sunday in Atlanta. But where the annual “classic” was a sleepwalk, tonight’s game featured some heavy hitting and plenty of heads-up play – lest there be even more heavy hitting.

Canadiens defenceman Mark Streit opened the scoring with his seventh of the season off a one-timer on the power-play, fed by all-star blue-liner Andrei Markov and forward Michael Ryder at 9:46 of the first period.

You’ll not often see anything smarter or more opportunistic than Sergei Kostitsyn’s shorthanded goal at 16:53, 200-game veteran Tomas Plekanec anticipating a Capitals pass deep in Montreal ice, intercepting it and streaking down the rink.

Kostitsyn joined the rush, having burst out of the penalty box after a 33-second Capitals 5-on-3 with Steve Bégin also in the box, to convert the perfect, selfless pass from Plekanec for his fourth of the season.

Did we say opportunistic? The Canadiens struck once again at 18:25, Saku Koivu drilling home a pass out from behind the Washington net for his 10th, having been fed by Bégin. Koivu had begun the play, his head-man pass to Bégin missing its target, but Bégin chased down the puck for the pass back to his charging captain.

Kovalev rounded out the scoring with his 22nd of the year, banging in a power-play rebound, assisted by Plekanec and Streit.

Huet faced 15 first-period shots. Brent Johnson made 11 saves at the other end of the ice through the first 20 minutes. The Caps outshot Montreal 13-11 in the scoreless second.

The two teams meet again on Capitals ice on Thursday before the Canadiens return home for Super Bowl-weekend matinées vs. the New York Islanders on Saturday and New York Rangers on Sunday.

Canadiens players congratulate goalie Cristobal Huet on the netminder’s second shutout of the season, a 4-0 victory tonight over the Washington Capitals.
Christinne Muschi, Reuters

1. Shiloh says:

Which is absolutely no different than it ever was.

2. Shiloh says:

For about 95% of the time the NHL has been in existence, playoffs were the only time there was overtime – with no time limit. You couldn’t do that in the regular season with connections to make and flights to catch. So there is a compromise – keep the regulation tie and award a further point for an overtime win – but never a point for a loss.

3. coutNY says:

So, now the last 5 minutes of a tied regulation becomes a defensive bore because nobody wants to risk losing the point… just moving the period of boringness and adding a shootout that caters to individuals but has no meaning towards their stats, for or against..

4. Shiloh says:

That may have been the case very, very briefly. I’m not even sure if that scenario lasted a season. The reason for reverting to the point for a regulation tie was to open up the overtime – and that’s a good thing.

5. Shiloh says:

They do not get a point for losing. They get to keep the point they earned after 60 minutes – the regulation time for a hockey game. I would agree with three-on-three as a substitute for the shootout – but not for all the marbles. Teams should get to keep the point they earned in regulation.

6. Shiloh says:

There is nothing incorrect about my description. If you lost in OT historically, you were in a playoff game!! Now, if you’re thinking about when overtime was first introduced to regular season games, it was decided that not awarding a point for a regulation tie would cause the overtime session to be a 5-minute defensive bore because nobody would want to risk the point. Of course, that’s absolutely correct, so the league left the point for a regulation tie and awarded a further point for a win in overtime. There is no point for losing – you just get to keep the one you earned after 60 minutes. It really isn’t that difficult.

7. The Teacher says:

I think it’s just a play on words. Giving a point for ending regulation time tied effectively means that that at least one team will get a point, for losing. Hence a loser point, cause the team who gets the point ALWAYS loses, and NEVER ties.

There is quite a change regarding the tie point. If I recall correctly, there was never a tie point given if a goal was scored in Overtime. Two went to the winner, and ZERO went to the loser.

The shootout is the culprit, it sucks.

Make overtime 5 minutes longer with the last 5 at 3 on 3 (Resurface the ice if you have to, we pay enough). At three on three, most teams will realize they have to go all out for the goal, or else someone will score with that much room.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :P

8. nightmare_49 says:

Ex Hab in Nunavik – Here’s a nice video clip of Joey Juneau and his family and his hockey project in Nunavik (in french) http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/tj22h/#

9. krob1000 says:

2 and a half hours to go…..enjoy folks I am outta here for the day.

10. coutNY says:

He had a major Sprained ankle for most of his stint with the Dogs. I believe…

Click here as noted in Boone’s game log and scroll down in his game log to the “between periods (during first intermission)” note.

11. coutNY says:

My pet peeve is people that incorrectly describe historical events such as “teams get a point for a regulation tie, just as they always have throughout the history of the NHL.” As others have pointed out, historically if you lost in OT you did not get points, while both teams recieved a point if no winner was determined after the OT period.

The system is flawed in that teams can miss playoffs because they did not have enough of their losses occur in OT. Yet that same team could have more outright wins overall…

Last year Montreal had 2 more wins than NYI and TO, but missed the playoffs!

I support a system of deminishing returns.

2 points regulation win
    2 points in 5 minute OT win
    1 point shootout win

NO point for surviving regulation.

12. krob1000 says:

Why not just play and talk in the dressing room (leave the talking to the fans and the media)….give the same cookie cutter answers to the media. Why fuel the oppositions fire and give them statements to write on the chalkboard before games againts us??? I agree with the mentality 110% but the pressure is already ridiculous in Montreal. I don’t think it was a big deal or anything I just know it will come up again if we have a losing streak of any sort and at that point it may become an issue…..why plant that seed??? You can guarantee no issue by keeping your mouth shut and letting your stick talk……or by backing it up…but like I said why create the situation to begin with.

13. krob1000 says:

I didn’t say they shouldn’t think that way…..I said he shouldn’t be talking publicly that way…..HUGE DIFFERENCE. Koivu chose his words far more carefully.

Who does a statement like that really benefit when it is said aloud in Montreal….aside from the angry mob should we lose a game or two.

14. T-roy West says:

I don’t give a hoot how many stars Washington has. If you don’t play like a team then you lose as individuals. Individual efforts are meaningless!!! We have a “real team” and we shouldn’t be afraid of anyone. Someone said today (Krob1000 I think) that mybe Higgins shouldn’t have said what he did,about chasing people above instead of below, and had kept it to himself. I think looking at the people ahead of you in the standings and going after them is alot more healthy and motivating then looking behind you and Koivu also agreed with Higgins. Let the battle begin and enjoy the ride folks! Go Habs Go!

Hey Teach – Looking at our next 6 games, would you start Halak against the Islanders on Saturday and against Toronto on the following Thursday? That would give Huet sufficient rest and have Halak go up against teams where he has a good chance of grabbing two points.

The Original 24 Cups

Careful Cable Guy – Johnson has won his last three starts and has been the better Washington goalie the past few weeks. Don’t jinx us!

The Original 24 Cups

17. The Teacher says:

Hmm Before this last 5 game stretch I said that I expected the Habs to take 8 out of their next ten points, and they did!!! Granted, I didn’t “expect” them to beat the Devils.

With this in mind, I have looked at our next 5 games, and I must say as an fan who likes to analyze, I expect another 8 points. If they are truly contenders, that’s what I expect.

However, I only think they’ll come away with 6 or 7 though (yes, just being over .500 isn’t good enough for me).

18. habfan53 says:

The wings are thinking Next year Chelios and Lindstrom.
    I have to hand it to Brian Burke though he has found a way to get around the salary cap. Anaheim is 4 points up on Colorado for the final spot so this should be enough to get them in. It’s like making a trade and not giving anything up or signing 2 free agents.
    The two guys I feel sorry for are the two that will be sent down or released after busting their buts for the team.

19. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Thats RIGHT!…after the ROCKET broke the leash that IRVIN had on him!
    thats what the boys have to do tonight, BREAK CARBS LEASH and UNLEASH!

20. Steve C. says:

what are you talking about? Roy Dupuis threw him DOWN!

21. drecha says:

No worries my freind, I am confident that the team will show up for all four games! They may not come out with 8 but you know that is their mission and that is all we can ask for.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

22. habfan53 says:

No fear, just a comment. You know these guys if we win 5-1 Huet let in a soft one. If we win 4-2 we had a defensive lapse.

23. habfan53 says:

Is anyone else worried about the next four games??. We SHOULD beat Washington twice but realistically we all know how hard it is to sweep both games of a home and home. Then TWO afternoon games on the week-end When was the last time Montreal won in the afternoon. To be honest if we get 5 points (ooops there is that point for losing) I’ll be one happy guy.

24. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Anybody but him…after what he did to they ROCKET…he wouldn’t get out alive!

25. Cable Guy says:

Kolzig’s not playing. Beating Brent Johnson should be a walk in the park. I expect at least 6 goals by us tonight.

26. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

If my post had some numbers followed by a trizillion ZEROS…he’d be able to read it…and be signing it too…

but we’ll have to leave the ‘shaken’ to KOMI…can’t wait.

lets see if he goes down Komi’s side, or Markov…either way he should be done.

27. Habs_008 says:

Lets say that we do get Avery and he plays well for us. I’m sure the fans will get over it….Plus he was in the Rocket playing a punching bag….it’s not like his last name is Lindros.

28. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I don’t hear that many BIG players complimenting Montreal…in fact i hear NONE….unfortunately these days players don’t comment as such…something to do with MONEY.

as for OVECH:
    it was all in the timing and the connection to Markov and the fact that I hold the Great Canadiens to be on the ‘most desirable list’ of places to sign!

did you read the article on Valentenko (with the dogs) – the kid was CRYING when his agent told him he was signed by Montreal, as Montreal still is THE PLACE TO BE for the kids in Moscow…

but that GREEDY OVECH went for the cash and used us as BAIT….thats all.

29. Steve C. says:

True, but they still end up losing the game. It’s not over after 60 minutes. I agree with what you’re saying, but imagine this:

You’re in the playoffs, you lose in overtime. But since you lost in overtime, you get like…half a win or something. it doesn’t make sense. the game isn’t over after 60 minutes because there hasn’t been a winner.

30. RH says:

Rocket9,

I can’t speak for Habs-Professor but anyone who says he’s been a Habs fan since primordial nucleosynthesis, must have some sort of a sense of humour.

31. Cable Guy says:

I think people are referring to years ago when two teams went into overtime, if one team scored they would get 2 points and the other team would get nothing, if overtime finished in a tie then each team would get one point. Now if the team just gets into overtime they get a point automatically and thats not how it always was throughout the history of the NHL.

32. drecha says:

I am not saying that I would not welcome him on the team, but since that incident I just do not see it happening. I have been screaming for the Habs to bring in a guy like Laraque, after all he seems to play his best hockey in our building.

GoHabsGo!!!

33. Rocket9 says:

ok, am I an idiot? was that tongue in cheek? if so I’m sorry for jumping on you.

34. Shiloh says:

I have a pet peeve – people incorrectly referring to “getting a point for a loss”. Teams do not get a point for a loss – they get a point for a regulation tie, just as they always have throughout the history of the NHL. There is no change at all regarding one point for a tie. What is new is the practice of giving an additional point for a win in overtime or via a shootout. So – there is no point awarded for a loss – it is awarded for a tie after 60 minutes.

35. RH says:

You should have your own blog. Hilarious! Anyway, hopefully, OV has been reading your posts and is visibly shaken by them tonight.

36. Rocket9 says:

I can’t stand the guy either, but I do think he’s the type of player we need on this team. Someone like him or a Chris Niel type player would make a huge difference. I’m not a fan of the goon, but a guy who can drop the gloves and puts the puck in the net would be a major assett.

To me, this team needs a guy like that and one more top 3 forward, and we’re a serious contender.

37. Rocket9 says:

What the heck are you talking about? All our hopes were flying? If anyone thought Ovechkin, a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT, was going to sign in Montreal, they are the fool.

Are you one of those people who automatically think that if a big name player compliments Montreal, it means they want to play there?

That’s how leaf fans think.

38. drecha says:

I don’t think that would work very well considering he called all french canadian hockey players soft (and I am cleaning it up alot). I don’t think he would be very welcomed here, and I am pretty sure he would feel the same way.

GoHabsGo!!!

39. coutNY says:

I would have agreed with you back in late November/early December, but the tranformation of Kovalev has made me believe mircales can happen. He’s played better than I ever remembered and he’s playing Guy’s type hockey! Responsible… Even seeing some PK time. Unthinkable a year ago.

This Habs team has been one of the most exciting teams I have seen since I was a kid…

40. Habs_008 says:

I dont think we need an Avery, we need a Centre or power forward, we already have a pest in Lapiere

41. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

thats the kind of edge we need to carry into tonights game…and beyond.
    like it there? the money ya, but then he shouldn’t have said ANYTHING about Montreal and how its the best place to play…thats an insult to us because 48hrs later he signed.

42. Xtrahabsfan says:

Sean Avery has hit a road block in N.Y. I propose a swap for Ryder,great for both teams and players.

43. cautiousoptimist says:

wow – hostility much? Here’s a crazy idea: maybe he just likes it there?

44. cautiousoptimist says:

No agent – he negotiated the deal himself. Wow.

45. HABZ 24 says:

this is it,its race to the playoffs time.this is when it really gets exciting.after the boring meaningless allstar break were allready to watch our habs roll into a playoff spot and beyond.i predict the habs finishing 5th in the conference.drop the puck!! lets go!! go habs go!!

46. MatttheHabsFan says:

He wasn’t an UFA…

47. Richard B says:

I think he is very exciting offensively…but he appears to be less excited about playing D.
    In that leafs game he was floating around the defensive end with only one hand on the stick, and was waiting for the puck to bounce to him.
    I think if he wants to stay excited about hockey he better stick with Washington and stay as far away from Guy as possible.

48. Habs_008 says:

I saw parts of both games last week and you are right, he was everywhere, he just has that will to win, do or die attitude that some people are born with. The NHL has become like the NFL, Any given Sunday, meaning any team can beat any team on any given night. Habs Should come away with 4pts, but it wont be an easy task.

49. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I never said we wouldn’t want to see him wearing the CH, but now that he slapped ALL HABS FANS in the face, he has become ALL OF THE ABOVE that I wrote below.

Remember HE SAID, Montreal is the greatest place to play hockey, the fans, the city, my good friend here…and he was an UFA…all our hopes were flying…then a few days later the BIG SLAP TO US ALL….

the IDIOT FOOL (actually it was a brilliant move) opened his mouth just to put fear into the SUITS in washington to sign him ASAP….and they did.

Brilliant P.R. move by Ovech (or his agent)….I hope everyone was taking notes.
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

I watched the Washington-Lousy Leaf games and let me tell you Ovechkin was unreal. He was all over the ice and skated miles throughout the game. He also hit everything in sight and didn’t back down from anyone. He was dangerous when teamed with Backstrom and seemed to create scoring chances at will. He has a hell of a shot and isn’t afraid to take the puck to the net. Right now, he has to be the hottest player in the NHL. This Washington team can really skate and Mike Green seemed to be half defenseman/half forward every time he was on the ice. The Capitals also seem to play a real chippy form of hockey as there are some questionable hits at times, especially from behind. This will be a very tough home and home battle.

The Origiinal 24 Cups

51. Habs_008 says:

Yeah but smokes is playing well right now and I like Bouli he is a physical d-men, even though he is small…he can play tough.

52. habsguy says:

Hummm, I kinda thought Ovechkin was the one who at least tried to put some excitment into a pretty lame display of skills…..As far as being a loser, idiot or fool, well I think it would take at least one of the above who wouldn’t want to see him with a CH on his chest.

53. rogus says:

Begin > Dandy
    Gorges > Dandy

54. rogus says:

When is the media going to figure out that Koivu doesn’t center our first line?!?

55. NoTinFoilCups says:

His mommy made hime do it ;)

56. Habs_008 says:

what about Dandy! He is gonna lose it again….I hear little Violin music playing in the background…..Im sure he will get in there soon anyways, I like him but can do without the whinning.

57. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

FINALLY, the real ALL-STAR TEAM is back in action!

that was the worst drought of Hablessness we’ve ever experienced…at least in the summer its easy to forget about hockey for awhile, but NOW! with the team running on a high, what a DISASTER to have this break….not to mention its a total WASTE of time….watching ovech try to lift the puck…get lost loser….go and sign in the murder capital of north american IDIOT…don’t join the greatest Hockey Team in the history of the world…with your best friend….you FOOL.

I guess money is your only friend, in that case I’m glad your not here.

And in the back to back, if your held off the score sheet and Komi pounds you to the ice, that would be almost as good as beating Toronto!

WE MUST SHUT DOWN OVECH = 4pts

as for the lineup:
    the Team is succeeding, DO NOT CHANGE when its working, DO NOT TRADE when its working, DO NOT TINKER when its working…the greatest element we have going for us now is CONFIDENCE…change DESTROYS confidence. A team thats together and having success must believe in each other, and have CONFIDENCE in each others roles…its called settling in to your groove, and thats where we were before that STUPID ‘all-something’ break.

Tonight we find out if we are still on track….if so, LOOK OUT.

58. showey47 says:

i’m pretty sure ryan will be back next week. I wouldn’t be surprised if gainey sends him down to hamilton for game conditioning purposes. Especially with the log jam of players we have with the big club right now and with the team winning carbo will not change his lineup.

59. Lee_D says:

Forwards
    Higgins – Koivu – Ryder
    A. Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Kovalev
    Latendresse – Lapierre – S. Kostitsyn
    Begin – Smolinski – Kostopoulos

Defence
    Markov – Komisarek
    Hamrlik – Streit
    Bouillon – Gorges

Goaltender
    Huet

tsn.ca

60. RetroMikey says:

I’ve never been excited after an all star break to start the 2nd half of the season! We are improving game in and out. I predicited before the season that we would end up 5th in the Eastern Conference and don’t be surprised if we finish a strong 4th. The young guys are starting to mature and contribute, I expected the results last year at this time but better late than never.

What’s going to carry us is the veterans like Smolinski and Brisebois, yes, you heard it from me! The old goats are going to help us in the long haul down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Michael Ryder has got to go, I’d trade him in a heartbeat with Dandeneault, Boullion, and even Begin so we can get that strong skilled offensive centreman (Marcel Groc from San Jose would be a steal) we need. We’ve got to come to an agreement that these guys have contributed over the years and that we have the young guns on this team who can replace them now.

Since I’ve always campaigned before the season to bring in Rick Nash, that will never happen. Just would be nice as added insurance to fill this void in the playoffs.

Carey Price will be back in time before the playoffs. The kid is playing in Hamilton and learning every game he has played. Ryan O’Byrne will be back but will have to play in Hamilton for seasoning before being called up. Let’s not give up hope on Kyle Chipchura, Corey Locke, and Mikhail Garabovsky yet. These kids will come back with fire in the eyes.

Carbonneau and his coaching staff are exceptional at what they do and are getting better as well and communicating with the players.

Washington looks like a team on the horizon. We should not take this team lightly.

We’re going to surprise alot of skeptics and teams when we make the playoffs. All it takes is 16 games to win the Cup! You never know what can happen but our future looks so promising. In Bob I trust totally! Let’s play hockey!
    Good luck boys tonite, play hard and hustle!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

61. Lee_D says:

Yeeeeeah I’ll be at this game! Go habs go! Can’t wait to see Ovechkin for the first time :D

62. RH says:

Maybe his mullet is in love with Luongo. He’s probably trying to jinx us or something.

63. Habs_008 says:

Welcome, Ont Hab Fan, being from T.O its all Laffs all the time here, it is very boring hockey talk. Who cares they are the worst organization in the game. TSN, CBC and Sportsnet dont help it die down either, they always talk Laffs first everyone else second. I love how they SUCKS SO MUCH! haha, GO HABS GO! In tough against Ovechin, he always shows up when playing in the big crowd in MTL. Lets see what happens tonight.

64. Sulemaan says:

Should be an interesting game tonight. As mjames noted, it will be nice to see how the team performs after a layoff. I think it will be good, especially for the older players who need to recharge the batteries (Koivu, Kovalev, Huet, Hamrlik) and finish off the second half strong.

Let’s just hope the boys don’t come out flat tonight…

65. coutNY says:

1921-22 Overtime limited to twenty minutes.
    1928-29 Ten-minute overtime without sudden-death provision to be played in games tied after regulation time. Games tied after this overtime period declared a draw.
    1983-84 Five-minute sudden-death overtime to be played In regular-season games that are tied at the end of regulation time.
    but each team will play "four on four", with four skaters and a goaltender.

It was not until 1999 did they introduce the automatic point at the end of regulation.

66. HKisses says:

Positive numbers is when we come out of a 1st period with a 3-0 lead on 14 shots……very impressed after that first period….GO HABS GO

67. ONTARIO HAB says:

agreed

68. Shiloh says:

I would never have a shootout for all the marbles – I like the point for a tie in regulation. That’s the way hockey has been played for about a hundred years. If you allow a gimmick to take all the points, then you really would be devaluing the game.

69. Will Longlade says:

It’s nice to see some positive numbers in the last two rows of the team stats.

70. Leclerc1965 says:

Did anyone happen to catch ESPN’s Barry Melroses’ “revised” Stanley Cup predictions? Pre-season….Rangers vs. Sharks. Mid-season….Habs vs. Sharks. This is the same Barry Melrose who hasn’t quite gotten over his beloved Kings loss to the Habs in the finals in the early 90′s, the same Barry Melrose who consistently predicts Montreal missing the playoffs every year, and the same guy who has a crush on Roberto Luongo. (Maybe the last jab wasn’t called for but he does). Maybe, just maybe he has started to watching the games instead of grooming the mullet.

71. slamtherimtim says:

you got it , it’s been awhile since we had a player even players feel good about the team and talk about it , the habs gotta get the big MO on their side and keep rolling , not to many teams win the cup on a plan ,

it all started with kovey , he has been a great teammate and the best TEAM wins

72. G-Man says:

This is the first game of the stretch to the playoffs. Serious hockey begins tonight. I expect thunder (body checks) and lightning (our forwards zipping into the opposition’s zone and eluding the defense). Maybe a little hail for good measure.

The Habs have to slice and dice Washington’s young D while not allowing Ovechkin to dominate. I’m feeling the well-rested Plekanec-Kovalev-AK46 line will be hungry and ready to pick up where they left off. Besides, can’t rely upon Smolinsky to score 2 every night.

Gilbert

73. MatttheHabsFan says:

There is a big difference between confidence and cockiness, and I think what we are seeing from Higgins and Koivu is an indication that the teams confidence is strong. They recognize that they have really acheived nothing at this point, and a lot of hard work will be needed if they want to acheive their goals. There is no reason for this team to be playing scared, and maybe a renewed confidence will improve their record at home.

74. ONTARIO HAB says:

I more than agree. theres nothing wrong with REAL confidence

75. ONTARIO HAB says:

6 goals cool thats free wings for you guys

76. WindsorHab-10 says:

Nice hat trick by the Habs(pp, sh & ev). I expect a tougher match on Thursday and hopefully the Boys will be up to the challenge. Good all around effort tonight and GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

77. ONTARIO HAB says:

thursdays are no problem its saturdays that we have to worry about

78. WindsorHab-10 says:

What’s this I’m hearing that Kovalev may have suffered a broken thumb during the game? Can anyone confirm or hopefully deny this?

79. WindsorHab-10 says:

Especially matinees. But this is a different team now and hopefully the results are too. GO HABS GO!!!!!

80. MatttheHabsFan says:

He may have, but he played the remainder of the game and even scored a goal. His comment on the situation was as follows:

Alex Kovalev ~ “I still have four fingers left”

81. joe-hab-nuno says:

Interview after the game the reporter fron rds asked what happened to his thunb. Her said it was black and blue and he didn’t know if it was broken. That’s all I heard since .

82. joe-hab-nuno says:

83. The Teacher says:

Hasn’t really done much since lockout ended. Never was high on him.

84. Robert L says:

Write for your readers and not for yourself. This is the second time I’ve gone to your blog – and the last.

85. WindsorHab-10 says:

What a guy?

86. hhl says:

i think that at this point if habs lose one an tor lose ,it cheers me up

87. G-Man says:

60 minutes of high intensity hockey. Love it. Hope Kovalev’s thumb isn’t broken. He’s been the leader out there. Excellent game for Huet. Beaten cleanly a couple times when the Caps hit posts, but that’s why there’s twine in the net. He was absolutely huge when he needed to be.

2 points down, 38 to go!

Gilbert

88. hhl says:

kovy s pretty tough,if his arm were to fall off hed probably still try to make a play then pick his arm up on his way to the bench,and use hockey tape to hold it in place.

89. hhl says:

could use it as bait

90. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

GREAT GAME AGAIN!
    they are riding a WAVE of CONFIDENCE….lets keep it flowing, NOTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY!!!

unless your talking about the opposition….OVECH…..

HOW DOES IT FEEL OVECH? eh?? you took MONEY over the chance to PLAY FOR A BROTHERHOOD,
    what REAL PLAYERS dream about…TEAMWORK from ALL LINES.

thats OK OVECH…you see, what you provide is FIRE for our boys, KOVALEV, KOSTI x2, PLEK, KOMI, KOIVU and the boys just need something to get the FIRE going..and guys like you (and syd etc) are the KEY!

Even Kovalev said post game ” well he was getting frustrated (ovech) and then he tried to take the puck and do it by himself, but no player can go against a team, i don’t care who you are..”

ya….tell him my Hab brother!

DID YOU HEAR THAT OVECH…you are ONE alone…you lose…BIG mistake not signing with Les Canadiens,
    and yourself, Lacav, StLouis…all will understand soon…2009

91. Sulemaan says:

When Kovalev was asked about the potential broken thumb (as reported on Boone’s blog) he responded “I still have four fingers.” Priceless.

92. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

there was a great drummer called John Bonham…they said he could do more with his ONE foot than most drummers could do with 2 hands and 2 feet.

on the ice…Kovalev is in that league, he can do more on one skate and ONE FINGER on the stick, than MOST can do with 2 skates on the ice and 10 fingers on the stick.

93. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

i posted this below but it fits here as well!

94. Mr.Hazard says:

YAAAAHHH GO HABS!!! WE BE KILLIN MAN!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

95. Robert L says:

Bonham can’t rise from the dead like Kovalev has!

96. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

agreed, its been that impressive.

Kovalev’s rise has mirrored the HABS rise though….what does that tell you….

97. Robert L says:

Exactly what it should! He has been that important to the team. And to think I wanted him gone. Shows how little we can sometimes know in hindsight.

98. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I’ve always been PRO-KOVY, the second he arrived here, even last year with all the distractions, because I saw the flashes of brilliance he would bring and I saw why he was getting discouraged…..remember at first when he arrived he had RIBS on his line, and the only purpose of RIBs was to get KOVY the puck, then RIBS left and Kovy had to train someone else….. But he wasn’t negative like Samsonov was….Kovy and the team just needed to get into a groove, (like Bonham!) and last year it happened for stretches, ..difference this year? consistency. and with that comes confidence…believing in each other.

I really get a kick when KOVY comes over to the sideboards (his office!) and whoever is there Pleks, Kosty, they just leave the puck for Kovy and they go somewhere else!…tonight Kovy was on one side and there was no room, then the puck goes to the otherside and Pleks has it, next thing Kovy skates over and takes it!
    Priceless….

99. RH says:

How about S. Kostitsyn beating the crap out of Donald Brashear? That would’ve made MY night!

100. Gormdog says:

Playoffs. Game 4. Double OT.

Before we go hailing him as our “team” and other mythic praise, let’s not forget that Kovalev is an extremely enigmatic player. He can dissapear and dissapoint at any given moment.

(Great player, love him in a Montreal jersey!)

101. WestHab says:

Great work by the whole team. I even saw signs of Ryder waking up. Also great to continue right after the All Star game. Somtimes it’s hard to continue on the same page after a few days off. It seemed like the team wanted to continue on that great 3rd period in NJ.
    Ever since Begin’s return the intensity is way high.

102. Wops says:

Kovalev is the Montreal Canadiens.
    When was the last time we had such an impact player? P.Roy?
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

103. coutNY says:

Thanks teacher, and as you point out below, those dates were the inceptions for the rules that carried forward until the next rule changes were incorporated. Meaning there was 80 years out of 100 of no point after regulation!

104. Cousin Al says:

Kovy – he’s the greatest player (talent-wise) I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen them all since the 1960′s. The only player whose raw talent came close was Bobby Orr but he was injury prone and had a short career.

105. Da Hema says:

I thought it amusing when Kovalev fired the puck into the Capitals’ net at the end of the first period–in response to a Capitals’ late shot. One could almost describe tonight’s game as perfect: a power-play goal, a short-handed goal, two even-strength goals, and excellent goaltending. It doesn’t get much better than that.
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

106. CHsam says:

Alex Kovalev is just amazing. The best part of it is how the other players soak up some of his talent for the better of the team.

Kovalev, l’Artiste

107. Vecs says:

Found my new desktop background,, great pic

108. Blitzen says:

So how many draft picks do you think the Sens will need to part with in order to get a team to take Emery?

I’ll put the over/under at 3, including a 1st. LOL

I think that’s the only way they can do it. No one will send any decent player for him…

109. Smart Dog says:

Happy glorious morning Hab fans!

Great game boys! Sure seems like this team is not going to give up. Amazing to see the confidence oozing out of OUR team. They don’t quit. And Huet has been playing with FIRE! (eh Timo?)

A couple of other thoughts:
    1. Kovalev has been outstanding, and somehow is getting BETTER. Some of those seeing-eye back-handed passes were out of this world.
    2. Plekanec. Not as flashy as Kovalev but he has it all; smarts, leaderships, shooting, passing, and he reads the attack as well as the veterans.
    3. Begin and Kostoplous. Seems like having these guys in the line-up is just a good thing. I wonder if one of you stats guys could check what our win-loss is with or without them.
    4. Smolinksi. I know smolinski had a good game or two, and hate to put a damper on things but a couple of times I was thinking “who’s that one slow guy” or “who just let the Caps walk away with the puck instead of challenging for it. Slowinski.
    5. K1 & K2S Kostitsyn’s break out of the box to create the 2-on-1 shows how much smarts and guts this kid has. Wow. And his brother Andrei brings it every game. The physicality and skill of these two guys is just
    what we needed.
    6. Gorges. Played a great game and was really getting under Ovechkin’s skin. O used to think he owned Montreal. How things have changed…
    7. Koivu. I saw him smile – yes! I really did!

GO HABS GO GO GO!!!!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

Hey guys, let’s take it easy on this Kovalev love-in. I realize that he’s playing like a million dollars and is leading our team by example but I can think of another 12 forwards in the NHL that I would rather have then him right now. Remember, this guy has played 14 years in the NHL and only has scored 30 or more goals on three occasions in that time. I love his moves, his passion, and his rebirth but he can also go south on teams in a hurry. Just ask Pittsburgh and New York. Let’s enjoy the moment but also keep an eye on the future. We have a lot of players to sign in the next year (Huet, Streit, Pleks, Komi, Higgins, $7 mil UFA) plus possible extensions for Koivu and Kovalev. Both guys will be over 35 by then so wel will be on the hook for their entire contracts reagardless of how they play or whether they retire. Those are reall tough calls. Hopefully, they will re-sign for reasonable money on one or two year extensions. If not, then there’s a chance that one of them will have to go. Let’s enjoy Kovalev’s talent for the next year and a half and then see what happens.

The Original 24 Cups

111. showey47 says:

thats 2 more than your laffs got

112. coutNY says:

Couple of comments:
    ~Koivu will be just under 35, he’ll turn Nov 2009; 4 month after his contract expires with the Habs.

~On Kovalev, this is the first time Kovalev has been given the opportunity to be the “go-to guy”. He has always been in a situation where he was playing “second fiddle” to the teams superstar.(Jagr or Lemieux in Pitt,or Messier in NY.) I think Gainey gave him a talk about responsibility and some insight on how to approach the role. He’s turned from an individual trying to carry the team, to being intricle part of a team. Not only that but a true leader and teacher, as well as an entertainer!

BTW off-subject comment, HUET received the NHL’s #1 star for last nights effort!

Smart Doggie – I know what you mean about Smolinski – at times he not only appears slow but he seems to be standing still (and I’m not being sarcastic). Right now he is all we have (at centre) and it’s obvious he’s not going anywhere – Gainey and Carbo are committed to him. The good news is he is surrounded by hard working wingers and we have a replacement for him waiting in the wings down in Hamilton. Until then, we’ll just have to hope that Smolinski’s wealth of experience and ability to play many roles will counterbalance his skating shortcomings.

The Original 24 Cups

114. PattyBoy31 says:

Lets not even think about any trades or stuff like that right now, last night was a very good thing, and lets just enjoy it!

password: brandy

115. KeepRyder says:

Hey folks,

I didn’t see all the game last night. I had my own game to play (2 assists BTW!:-).

Anyhow, I did see the last 4 minutes of the second and the third. Now, not to say that I am giving up or dropping into the same league as TradeRyder, but what is with Ryder? Shoot the puck! Pass from the half-board to someone instead of that damned dangle move. It works for me in rec hockey, and for Ryder in ball hockey, it doesn’t work in the NHL. If it doesn’t get any better, and if Ryder doesn’t stop thinking and shoot the dammed puck, I may have to change my name again.

Pass, shoot and go to the net, skate hard and backcheck. Pretty simple for $2.9 mil.

Lets go! Only 3 weeks to my visit to the Bell Center!
    ___________________________________________
    It can only get better!! Go Ryder, Go Habs!

coutNY – you’re right about Koivu’s age, I checked it before I posted. It seems like he has been here forever! It’s just that I worry we might have to pay him the same $4.75 mil a year that we are now. I know all his attributes and what he means to the team but I just wonder how much (and for how long)we should be paying older guys like Koivu and Kovalev after 2009. In theory, we could have (on average) Koivu, Kovalev, Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, Higgins, and Pleks making around $5 mil a year. I don’t see much room for an UFA signing there after all of that. And we haven’t even talked about goaltending. If Huet re-signs, I would imagine it would be for at least $4mil a year. Add that to Price’s $2.2 mil and you’re already over $40 mil and we’ve still got to sign 14 more players.

On Kovalev – that’s a good point you’ve made. At this stage of his career Kovalev has seen the light and will play to his true potential for the rest of his stay in Montreal. That doesn’t make him a Vinny, Crosby,Iginla, or Ovechkin but it also doesn’t make him a quitter (Bure) who’s just playing out the string for the big money.

The Original 24 Cups

117. OldGrover says:

They aren’t going to trade him – Gerber has shown himself unreliable under pressure and hasn’t been playing the best lately, either. They’ll keep him unless they get a great offer – and nobody is offering much for goalies at this point.

Emery may be the next Theodore – great on ice talent distracted by off ice stuff that drags down their entire game. But he may not be – he may get that head in order. Teams looking for goaltending help may risk it – and I think for now the Sens will suffer through it.

118. HABZ 24 says:

And the train kept a rollin!! koveys playing with heart and passion and it shows.hueys outstanding.there playing as a team for a full 60 mins.no let ups or let downs,pedal to the medal go for it hockey.not taking so many dumb penaltys that killed them in the past.and getting valuable pts to boot.if they play 500 hockey from here on in, well have 94 pts and be in the playoffs,so they said on the radio last night.awesome. GO HABS GO!!

119. Corio says:

Excellent game, was very exciting to watch and even more exciting to see how the Habs were shutting down Semin and Ovechkin, they were both visibly frustrated..

The Plecanec line was unbelievable, every time they were out there you saw the pressure they were placing on the opposition, was great!

Keep it up guys!

120. Batalla says:

That was a great game! The Habs dominated from start to finish. They even broke down how good the Canadiens are on the show, “The Spin” on “The Score.”

That being said, there is a little known fact about that game that I posted on my blog:

Go Habs, Go!

121. coutNY says:

I wasn’t trying to discount you’re points, but rather worry about signing players to extentions and contracts after we see how this year pans out, which for most would be in the offseason… besides the three important Pending FA’s Huet, A. Kostitsyn and Streit, which would probably be worth while to look at ASAP…

True, Kovalev is not Oveckin, Crosby, Inigla, or Vinny, but as seen these guys don’t garentee success. If Kovalev had played this type of hockey he’s demonstrating now, earlier in his career, with the skills he possesses, he may have been consider in that company. Only one of those guys, out of Oveckin, Crosby, Inigla, or Vinny, can claim to have achieved a similar sucess of a Stanley Cup win and from the looks of it, He will have a long road in trying to repeat that feat. We may not have a superstar but do have many above average palyers, a lot of balance and consistancy, combined with teamwork going for us, more than I can say for most teams in the NHL.

122. coutNY says:

Thats what a top PP unite does!

123. jew4jah says:

Kovalev…. can’t think of any player in the league that i’d rather see in a habs jersey these days.

124. coutNY says:

TO SHILOH ~ I was thinking back to your comment yesterday and you had me second guessing myself that the NHL did not have OT historically during the regular season except for a breif time prior to the current system.

~Shiloh Tue, 01/29/2008 – 17:07.
    “There is nothing incorrect about my description. If you lost in OT historically, you were in a playoff game!!”

WRONG…Not sure when you think NHL started, but the NHL has had OT since the 1920′s (that’s a long breif period)
    1921-22 Overtime limited to twenty minutes.
    1999-00 As before there will be a five minute sudden death overtime when the score is tied after three periods, but each team will play "four on four", with four skaters and a goaltender.

125. habfan53 says:

UH!!!!! I can think of a few Lecavelier, Iginla, Crosby, Ovetchkin even Sundin

126. habfan53 says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat myself Gainey should try sign Huet to a 2/3 year contract let him mentor Price/Halak there is no rush 57/25 game split next year 41/41 the following then 25/57 the third. Of course this depends on how they are playing. Higgins and Komisarek CAN”T be offered new contracts until July 1st because they have more than a year left on their existing contract.
    I’m hoping that more than a few will sign for a little less like Heatley and Spezza did in Ottawa because they can see where the team is headed.

127. Habs_008 says:

I totally agree with you on Huet, we need him for at least one more year if not 2 more. I have also said that. If we dont sign him we will be taking one step back.

128. mrstewart61 says:

not funny

129. mrstewart61 says:

I was thinking about this one: Ryder, Dandy or Cube, Locke or Grabs and maybe a draft pick for……wait for it…. Hejduk.

Comments?

130. Habster101 says:

John Henry Bonham…the greatest drummer of all time…

Led Zeppelin…the greatest band of all time…

Montreal Canadiens…the greatest team of all time…

Kovalev…one of the greatest Canadiens players of all time…

131. G-Man says:

Got that right. That is what bloggers do? Sheesh!

Gilbert

132. Habs_008 says:

I wish I could get that 30 seconds back I used up reading your stupid pointless blog. Your a loser. You should be a Leaf fan.

133. Rocket9 says:

I agree re Huet. Earlier in the season, I was thinking they should trade Huet since they were so deep in goal and needed another top notch forward. However, with Price struggling and Halak sitting on the bench unproven this year, I think they should keep Huet for 1-2 more years. Just make sure he doesnt’ get a no-trade clause. Next year at the deadline, if Price and Halak look like they’re ready to be 1-2, then trade Huet.

Another option would be to trade Halak this year and see if they can get a good forward for him, but I doubt it. I would only do that if a team was desperate enough to give up something really good for him. It’s a risky move because Price hasn’t come out of his slump yet. It would also be a tough sell because Halak hasn’t had a chance to show what he can do (this year).

Lastly, with the team playing this well, that top-notch forward that I thought was needed is less of a concern. Obviously, it would be nice to have him, but they can probably do some damage in the playoffs with the current lineup. I do think they need another top line forward of Kovalev’s stature and a tough guy like a Chris Niel before they are cup contenders.

134. Rocket9 says:

Gotta say I feel a bit sick after reading that. I guess you’re trying to be funny, but even the thought of threatening an athlete that way is scary to me and not funny at all.

135. Sulemaan says:

I’m all for humor but I think this post is in poor taste and crosses the line. If you’re looking for a reaction, you certainly accomplished that.

However, upon looking at some of your other posts, they are rather funny. Just watch the line in future as I don’t doubt your passion for the Habs, especially if you have a blog about them.

Sulemann – Thanks for saying that. I was at a loss after I first read it and wondered if I was missing something or was just out of touch with what is deemed to be humourous these days. Maybe Dave should delete the message seeing so many people are offended by the humour that is obviously not funny in any regard.

The Original 24 Cups

137. Batalla says:

Okay… Obviously I’ve hit a nerve with you guys. Seems odd, but it was intended to be lighthearted. I would apologize (I really am on the fence here), but really, you guys shouldn’t take things so seriously.

If you can’t take a joke, you probably shouldn’t read the blog.

138. Batalla says:

Thanks for posting this. I honestly did not intend to offend, and I’m not even sure why it is offensive to some. So to all that are truly offended, I hereby apologize.

I recognize the line and it shall not be crossed again.

Batalla – Thanks for replying. Sometimes humour can be a fine line – I’ve seen posts that have been much worse than this. Enough said, let’s all move on and enjoy the Habs winning ways.

The Original 24 Cups

140. RH says:

Maybe the humour was a little too dark…..but, I got it at the end.

141. Corio says:

REALLY not funny..

142. Shiloh says:

Thanks for digging up the info. You indicate that two seasons in the 20′s and one in the 80′s featured regular-season overtime before the present system was installed in 99-00. So – for three seasons out of about 100 they tried OT with the possibility of losing the point for a regulation tie – if indeed that’s the way it was done. That means that for every other game in the regular season in the history of the NHL a point has been awarded for a tie after 60 minutes – a practice which continues today. Those who are pining for “the good old days” when OT settled a game and only one team got points have to use a microscope – that practice was a rare departure which never was kept after a season. Removing the point for a regulation tie would constitute a radical change during the regular season – and if they try it again it will likely only last one season just as it did in the past.

Again – there is no point for losing. There is a point for a regulation tie.

143. The Teacher says:

What are you TALKING about? 3 seasons lol, it was instituted and used for every season afterwards until a new one was instituted, and not just for that year!!!!

There were MANY, MANY seasons where teams did not get a point just for getting to overtime, but for ending the GAME tied.

Just a question, but for how long have you been watching hockey?

144. MatttheHabsFan says:

As much as everyone bashes Lats and Ryder, they are part of the reason we are in 2nd in the league in hits.

Alex Kovalev ~ “I still have four fingers left”

145. hhl says:

nice.gotta breakup more plays than the opposition.the rangers have a big aggressive d.but mtl has komi.and better skaters.and a better city hockey wise.

146. joe-hab-nuno says:

One stat I was surprised to see on RDS is MOntreal has the second most hits in the league after New Yok rangers. I really didn’t think we were such a hitting team other then Komi.

147. The Teacher says:

LOL, some people have short-term memories and like to exaggerate over everything.

148. Habster101 says:

well regardless, leave Kovy out of trade talks and just enjoy having someone on the team that is giving us hope for a Stanley cup since 1993,,,

149. habfan53 says:

AGREED. I just love watching him handle the puck like he has it on a string. Bye the way I do disagree with you about Sundin. He’s big 6’3″ plays centre and he’ll go back to T.O. in the summer HOWEVER I don’t think Gainey will be willing to pay what whoever is running the circus there will ask for if they ever get him to waive his no trade.

150. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

We can afford his ‘rent a player’ salary for the run…but we cannot give up more than a 15th round pick! ….definitely not a player trade.

But they’d never let him come here…its business and we are the enemy.

Can’t have those weak leaf fans suddenly seeing the light of the Great Montreal Canadiens while Sundin makes a good run in the playoffs with us!

that would be disaster for their business….it truly would be the end of LEAF NEANDERTHAL NATION.

151. Habster101 says:

can you imagine….the Laff fans would think and say the only reason why we won the cup is because of their Sundin…

we dont need to hear that nor do we need him to win a cup…

leave it up to Gainey…he knows how to bring a cup home, hes done it many times before here and in Dallas..

you know….if the laffs trade Sundin…that will be the biggest mistake in their franchise history….hes the best player they have…they have no clue on how to rebuild….they’ve never done it…the closest they got was when Quinn was doing it….and they fired him…lol
    they will be bottom feeding for a long time now…

152. Habs_008 says:

It would be even better if we win with Sundin, he was a laff for 12 years, never came close to wining one, he is a hab for 1/2 a season and gets one…..whats wrong with that?

153. ONTARIO HAB says:

NEVER a Leaf captain with the habs NOOOOO

154. Shobud says:

Welcome on board A lot of good talk on here

155. ONTARIO HAB says:

Hello hab fans, just found this site , great to hear hab talk cant handle the Leaf chirp here. I agree with the proffessor Habs in 2009 its destiny

156. I am Canadien says:

SEE. There is more to hockey than the Leaf nation media nonsense we’re subject to in S.Ont area. Very painfull!

Enjoy!
    $$$

157. Wops says:

On a random note,

any of you anoyed with the fact that Andrei Kostitsyn will be a RFA next year and is still not sign??

Bob better sign him quick before K.Lowe bust one of his moves…
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

158. Cable Guy says:

this is the best site on the internet as far as i’m concerned.

159. J.T. says:

I’m a little nervous about this one. There’s nothing like a long layoff to kill a team’s momentum. I hope they come out and score a couple of quick ones to put my mind at ease, and Huet’s on his game. Thirty-two games to go after tonight…it’s officially crunch time.

160. Naila Jinnah says:

Hopefully not of the Syracuse Crunch type because they just keep killing our baby Habs.

161. gfunkdoc says:

What I find odd is that they have a higher winning % when leading after 1 than after 2…

162. yehaken says:

Is a team with a worse winnning percentage when leading after 2 periods than the habs?

To put the current 78.3%-when-leading-after-2 in context, that means that over the course of the season, they are on track to lose 18 games when leading after 2 periods. That’s a whopping 36 points in the standings–which happens to be the difference between 1st and 13th place in the eastern conference standings last year.

No one seems to talk about it (after their huge comeback in Jersey), but it strikes me as the biggest (and along with faceoffs one of the only) real weaknesses of the Habs this year.

Dave, perhaps you gents could discuss in your next puckcast?

163. J.T. says:

I think this is one of the problem areas they’re gradually correcting. When was the last time they blew a lead after two? It doesn’t happen nearly as often as it did earlier in the season. We’ll see in the next few games, but I think they’re doing better in the killer instinct department lately.

164. mjames says:

It is too bad we had to take this break. The Canadiens had some real momentum going for them after the Devils game. I hope we come out skating against The Caps. It would be somewhat of setback if we come out flat and lose. As a matter of fact I think the next four games are all winnable. I hope Carbo gets the team up to play. If they are seriously chasing the Sens the next four are somewhat of a must.

mjames

165. Shiloh says:

The Capitals are really chippy – somebody could get hurt. They seem to shove and hit from behind, poke their sticks and give our guys little shots when they don’t have the puck.

166. Will Longlade says:

Yikes!

167. Fabio D says:

The team is Happy….they’re winning and the guys are happy to be playing together. This is a good sign.

I’m hoping things get better and the Habs dominate in the play-offs….fingers are crossed, that they get over the hump and represent the East in the Cup final.

I’m not saying a win…cause if its Detroit for the West….there’ll be trouble.

Keeping the faith….. Go Habs Go!!!

168. thegreatgazoo says:

Some interesting numbers:

Habs record on weekends (Fri-Sun): 6-11-5 (.386) 15 games left
    Habs record on weekdays (Mon-Thu): 20-4-3 (.796) 18 games left

169. I am Canadien says:

What an interesting stat! Proline hear I come…

$$$

170. yehaken says:

So basically the more I drink, the less the Habs win?

171. Habhopeful says:

The habs play 5 games in one week this week, and back to back games @ home this weekend, so this will be a pretty big test especially coming after the all-star break, hopefully the momentum has not died down and there hungry for ottawa’s lead…I predict habs 5-3 tonight, lets hope i’m right…

172. N.B.habs fan says:

I think we will do fine against Ovechkin,if we can keep the shots down.Our team is faster than they are and it all depends who is in the pressbox.(welcome Ontario hab,it sure gets busy on here at times,you will like it here)GO HABS GO

173. mrstewart61 says:

I’m looking forward to our game against Ottawa next week. Reading the stats in yesterday’s paper I noticed they are 23rd in the league on defense! I was surprised. They can be had, I believe.

174. Habster101 says:

are you guys kidding me??? first of all,,,,Kovalev has been the most consistent player amongst the ones mentioned for a trade…Lecav, Crosby, Ovechki…and oh ya…Sundin???? Kovalev is registering atleast a point per game if not a goal a game…

I dont care how many points Crosby has…where is he now…injured, mostly because of his eratic play…

TB sits in last…wheres Vinny??

Ovechki as we seen, gets shut out…hes a one man player playing against a team…enough said.

mind you I think these players are good too but who cares….we have a superstar in Kovalev that will bring us a cup….

oh ya I forgot..

Sundin? (Sardine)? I wouldn’t want Sundin for free….hes a branded Laff…he has the logo stamped on his ass like a donkey…I dont care how good he may be….Id rather have Kovalev any day over Sardin…and his team smells like one too…

just face it….Kovalev is a great player…we have a Gretzky on the team and people want him out…95% of what he does on the ice is Perfect….thats 50% more than what most players on the team do….

if there is any bashing of a particular player to be done then turn your heads towards Higgins…only thing he is good for is to play keep away from the other team for 5 seconds tops until he loses the puck….

but….

there is no real reason right now to even bash any player for the team is playing great right now…the best hockey Ive seen them play lately…

Game against Boston, New Jersey, Washington….

lets just hope they keep it up against Ottawa…that will be the biggest game of the year (season)…

I want first place in the conference….Ottawa’s balet has to come to an end…they’ve had it too easy…

they are fast though I give them that…

but lol they dont have a Kovalev…

Cheers and

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!

175. habfan53 says:

Hey Habster. I’m going to assume(?) you are referencing my reply as all 4 players mentioned were in my post. I NEVER said trade Kovalev the previous post was he could not think of anybody he would rather see in a HABS jersey I just mentioned 5 players I would like to see. With Iginla, Crosby AND Ovetchkin locked up for several years it ain’t going to happen anyway.

176. Will Longlade says:

The Habs have the most balanced squad and arguably the most depth of any team in the Eastern Conference. In this regard, they are right up there with the Sens and Pens. Despite the team’s recent success, some posters have been discussing the merits of the team trading Koivu or other core players. Last night, we got a glimpse of what Koivu has to offer the team. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would be one of the team’s MVP’s in the playoffs. Just consider what he’s done in the post season in the past.

While you’re entitled to your opinion, I think your rant about Higgins misses the mark. While his offensive production hasn’t been great, in every game that I’ve watched recently he’s played ex. well defensively. It takes more than one type of player to build a winner. Higgy is a winner and he’s played more than a minor role in the team’s recent success.

177. The Teacher says:

Did you see Kovalev play last year?

178. ONTARIO HAB says:

Keep KOVY forget the Sardine

179. moser17 says:

Is our goalie’s name really pronounced “Hugh-ette” and not “Hugh-eh”? Our man on the TSN highlights made quite a deal about it, something about Huet’s wife telling people the correct pronunciation: “it’s ‘hugh-ette’ because his wife says that’s how he wants it”.

(I’m posting this both here and in Boone’s latest “about last night” because I want confirmation. Apologies for the double post.)

180. ONTARIO HAB says:

Hu ett

181. coutNY says:

Smart dog in response to your information request earlier on Begin and Kostoplous. "Seems like having these guys in the line-up is just a good thing. I wonder if one of you stats guys could check what our win-loss is with or without them."

_________W__L_tie__pts__p-pts__Win%
    Overall
    Habs
    ____27__15__8__62__100___62%
    With
    Kosto___25__12__7__57__88____65%
    With
    Begin___17___9__2__36__56____64%
    With
    Both____16___7__2__34__50____68%

182. Smart Dog says:

nice.

Not overwhelming but the numbers do go in the right direction… and we’re 9-8-6 with one or neither of them playing.

Thanks coutNY!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

183. Hoegarden says:

And I thought the win over Jersey was impressive.

- Cristo usually plays his position very well but man could he move hit butt last night. We could easily nickname him the cat.
    - Did they throw a blanket over Ovechkin and Semin or what ? I was not exactly overjoyed when Kosto came over (taking a job from one of our guys Hamilton) but he’s making me look pretty silly now.

The fact that we have four lines humming at this time is a real blessing. Games will get tougher as we get in February and Carbonneau will use them wisely.

The only concern is of course the injuries. I believe most of us had negative thoughts when Kovy’s thumb was shown in a plastic glass full of ice.

184. cautiousoptimist says:

No one wants injuries, but it’s been a long time since we had the depth to replace the regulars with a slew of competent Bulldogs. It’s a good time to be a Habs fan…

185. Hoegarden says:

Been using it for some time now. I’ll see if I can dig something else up this evening from home.

186. moser17 says:

lol, hey no worries, I don’t have a copyright

187. Shiloh says:

The French announcers absolutely love LaSlowesse – they are ragging on Lapierre because he didn’t pass to him. I guess they’re upset – Tenderness only gets about two minutes a period.

A great game tonight – we took advantage of our opportunities.

188. The Teacher says:

Lappy made the right decision, end of story.

189. joe-hab-nuno says:

they actually said that he wasn’r in a great position to receive a pass. I just feel bad for S. kost. He could have had 3 points easily if it wasn’t for gifts Latenter received and couldn’t bury them. I know alot of people are going to say here come the neg remarks and that he is only 20 yrs old(that’s why he should be in the ahl)t on a win, that’s the only one I have. Other then that that was a very enteraining game. I love it when they give a 60 min effort. I also enjoyed the fact that they didn’t sit back on a 3 goal lead like they always do. Go habs go

190. linp says:

Is this our first shutout of the season?

191. Dave Stubbs says:

Second. Huet had one Nov. 5 vs. Buffalo.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

192. yehaken says:

You’re right (I shouldn’t try math before work). Here’s the fixed stat:

They’ve led after 2 periods 23 times this year, and lost 5 of those games (4 of which went to OT).

So that projects to 8 losses over the course of the year. If you include the fact that they’ll get a point for about 6 of those 8, you end up with a 10 point difference in the standings, and an additional 6 points given up to other teams.

They’re 27th in league when leading after 2, and 23rd when trailing after 2.

But keeping with the “let’s be positive” request, they’re tied for first overall when leading after 3…

193. joe-hab-nuno says:

yes he did, cuz Latender can’t finish lately.

194. ONTARIO HAB says:

GREAT GAME Huet was superb and the Leafs loose Ill sleep well tonight. I think this team is for real. Going to listen to the leaf post game chirp on the radio always good for a few laughs after a loss

195. Boomer93 says:

true indeed, haha!

196. Shobud says:

Now that was the Huet that played the first year Any chance that its because Rollie is in Hamilton helping price
    I think if they would leave him alone he would be great every night As for the team they played like a team again Its great to see

197. Canus says:

And who says we don’t have a superstar.
    Do I really need to say of whom I’m talking

198. habsgod says:

we played great tonight!the cristowal played unbelieveable!the best game he’s played this season!!62 points second best team in the east!!and 5th overall in the league standings!!we are going to win thursday in washington and sweep the weekend games!!then i think bob will add something and we’ll go for broke!!this team is so balanced and deep!i can’t wait to get o’byrne back on the defence just to add a little more size and grit back there!!kovalev is awesome our M.V.P.no doubt!!has anybody seen macdonagh play lately?i have and he’s dominating in the N.C.A.A.he looks and plays like komisarek but with better offensive skills and is not quite as big!!!my fellow habs fans here’s another name that is dominating in the a.h.l pavel valentenko!!!!what depth!!and awesome young guys coming through the pipe line!now bob gainey and trevor timmins just need to fins us some forwards to groom inthe minors!!a couple more kostitsyns!!and another pacioretty and some big dominating centers!!

199. RiverviewCanadien says:

after watching tonights game, I don’t think we need anyone else, we HAVE the BEST players!

200. RiverviewCanadien says:

Brilliant hockey!!!! Again….

Huet Huet Huet! ok he had LOTS of help, THE WHOLE DAMN TEAM!

Goodnight HABS fans, everyone will sleep better tonight.

GO HABS GO! – Damn I wish I was at THAT game tonight

201. joe-hab-nuno says:

C’mon Latenter can always be replaced
    LOL