Game 50: Huet, Habs blank Caps, Ovechkin 4-0

Links updated Wednesday at 6:58 am

Canadiens’ Sergei Kostitsyn converts a Tomas Plekanec pass for a first-period goal against Washington Capitals goalie Brent Johnson.
Christinne Muschi, Reuters

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone | Carbonneau Post-Game Audio | Players Post-Game Audio (from RIS)

Those fans hoping the Canadiens would pick up where they left off last week – a marvelous come-from-behind victory over the nearly invincible New Jersey Devils – are not disappointed tonight.

The Canadiens returned to action following the NHL’s annual all-star break with first-period goals by Mark Streit, Sergei Kostitsyn and Saku Koivu, then shut down Washington superstar Alex Ovechkin with perfect Cristobal Huet goalkeeping until Alex Kovalev netted a final-minute goal to record a 4-0 triumph over the Capitals at the Bell Centre.

Huet made 35 saves to record his second shutout of the season, the first coming Nov. 5 against the Buffalo Sabres. It was his 15th career whitewash.

With the win over coach Bruce Boudreau’s Capitals, the Canadiens remain six points behind the Eastern Conference-leading Ottawa Senators, 5-2 winners over the Islanders tonight on Long Island. The Habs hold a game in hand.

Montreal improved to 10-8-5 at the Bell Centre, a little less of a black hole for the home team, for an overall record of 27-15-8.

In name, at least, this was the same sport that staged an all-star game on Sunday in Atlanta. But where the annual “classic” was a sleepwalk, tonight’s game featured some heavy hitting and plenty of heads-up play – lest there be even more heavy hitting.

Canadiens defenceman Mark Streit opened the scoring with his seventh of the season off a one-timer on the power-play, fed by all-star blue-liner Andrei Markov and forward Michael Ryder at 9:46 of the first period.

You’ll not often see anything smarter or more opportunistic than Sergei Kostitsyn’s shorthanded goal at 16:53, 200-game veteran Tomas Plekanec anticipating a Capitals pass deep in Montreal ice, intercepting it and streaking down the rink.

Kostitsyn joined the rush, having burst out of the penalty box after a 33-second Capitals 5-on-3 with Steve Bégin also in the box, to convert the perfect, selfless pass from Plekanec for his fourth of the season.

Did we say opportunistic? The Canadiens struck once again at 18:25, Saku Koivu drilling home a pass out from behind the Washington net for his 10th, having been fed by Bégin. Koivu had begun the play, his head-man pass to Bégin missing its target, but Bégin chased down the puck for the pass back to his charging captain.

Kovalev rounded out the scoring with his 22nd of the year, banging in a power-play rebound, assisted by Plekanec and Streit.

Huet faced 15 first-period shots. Brent Johnson made 11 saves at the other end of the ice through the first 20 minutes. The Caps outshot Montreal 13-11 in the scoreless second.

The two teams meet again on Capitals ice on Thursday before the Canadiens return home for Super Bowl-weekend matinées vs. the New York Islanders on Saturday and New York Rangers on Sunday.

Canadiens players congratulate goalie Cristobal Huet on the netminder’s second shutout of the season, a 4-0 victory tonight over the Washington Capitals.
Christinne Muschi, Reuters

1. Leclerc1965 says:

Did anyone happen to catch ESPN’s Barry Melroses’ “revised” Stanley Cup predictions? Pre-season….Rangers vs. Sharks. Mid-season….Habs vs. Sharks. This is the same Barry Melrose who hasn’t quite gotten over his beloved Kings loss to the Habs in the finals in the early 90’s, the same Barry Melrose who consistently predicts Montreal missing the playoffs every year, and the same guy who has a crush on Roberto Luongo. (Maybe the last jab wasn’t called for but he does). Maybe, just maybe he has started to watching the games instead of grooming the mullet.

2. slamtherimtim says:

you got it , it’s been awhile since we had a player even players feel good about the team and talk about it , the habs gotta get the big MO on their side and keep rolling , not to many teams win the cup on a plan ,

it all started with kovey , he has been a great teammate and the best TEAM wins

3. G-Man says:

This is the first game of the stretch to the playoffs. Serious hockey begins tonight. I expect thunder (body checks) and lightning (our forwards zipping into the opposition’s zone and eluding the defense). Maybe a little hail for good measure.

The Habs have to slice and dice Washington’s young D while not allowing Ovechkin to dominate. I’m feeling the well-rested Plekanec-Kovalev-AK46 line will be hungry and ready to pick up where they left off. Besides, can’t rely upon Smolinsky to score 2 every night.

4. MatttheHabsFan says:

There is a big difference between confidence and cockiness, and I think what we are seeing from Higgins and Koivu is an indication that the teams confidence is strong. They recognize that they have really acheived nothing at this point, and a lot of hard work will be needed if they want to acheive their goals. There is no reason for this team to be playing scared, and maybe a renewed confidence will improve their record at home.

5. ONTARIO HAB says:

I more than agree. theres nothing wrong with REAL confidence

6. ONTARIO HAB says:

6 goals cool thats free wings for you guys

7. T-roy West says:

8. The Teacher says:

Nope, they do get a point for losing, just because they obtain it after 60 minutes means nothing. One of them will lose anyways so the loser of a game that goes into overtime always gets a point 😉 Hence a loser point. I’m not talking rules as set by the NHL, I’m talking common sense here as a knowledgeable hockey fan.

why would you have shootout for all the marble but not 3 on 3. at least three on three can happen. 3-on-3 is at least hockey related. just give em two coincidental minors each.

Wait a minute

The shootout is actually a punishment for the players! (A.K.A. a penalty)for not ending the game soon enough.

That is the only time a penalty shot, a.k.a shootout would be called in a regular game, for an infraction.

9. T-roy West says:

What are you afraid of? Are you hoping that if we stay under the radar that other teams will take us lightly? Reality check – that isn’t going to happen! This is the drive for the playoffs and nobody is going to take anyone for granted. Higgins wasn’t getting cocky or bragging nor was he saying anything wrong. Going after Ottawa is the best thing to do and if you come up short then at least we made the playoffs. Koivu suggested the same! We always are dying to hear what our players have to say and when they do, we say they shouldn’t say that – yeah right!!! You ask what does a statement like that really benefit in Montreal. Well for starters it means we are a team that believes in ourselves and where we want to be, that we know we can be better and are going to try and do just that. Also that they want to be the team that will be sitting in top spot by the end of the season. I love that attitude. Montreal fans should believe in this team because they believe in themselves!

10. The Teacher says:

I don’t know, because I would have started Halak against the Devils.

I would start Halak against the Senators 😛

11. coutNY says:

Which is why I suggested;
    2 points for outright win
    2 points for an 5 minute OT win
    1 point for a Shootout win (because its a tie breaker abnormal hockey situation)

If a team knows that they have to win to get points their will be no letting up…

Not against the structure but more that teams get a point for surviving REGULATION. No other sport gives a point to a team that survives regulation play. So my question is how did they actually earn this point????

12. WindsorHab-10 says:

Two thumbs up for Higins & Koivu for their comments. I don’t see what the big deal is, it’s not like they guaranteed the stanley cup. My problem is that we need more people like Higgy & Saku. GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!

13. Shiloh says:

Which is absolutely no different than it ever was.

14. Shiloh says:

For about 95% of the time the NHL has been in existence, playoffs were the only time there was overtime – with no time limit. You couldn’t do that in the regular season with connections to make and flights to catch. So there is a compromise – keep the regulation tie and award a further point for an overtime win – but never a point for a loss.

15. coutNY says:

So, now the last 5 minutes of a tied regulation becomes a defensive bore because nobody wants to risk losing the point… just moving the period of boringness and adding a shootout that caters to individuals but has no meaning towards their stats, for or against..

16. Shiloh says:

That may have been the case very, very briefly. I’m not even sure if that scenario lasted a season. The reason for reverting to the point for a regulation tie was to open up the overtime – and that’s a good thing.

17. Shiloh says:

They do not get a point for losing. They get to keep the point they earned after 60 minutes – the regulation time for a hockey game. I would agree with three-on-three as a substitute for the shootout – but not for all the marbles. Teams should get to keep the point they earned in regulation.

18. Shiloh says:

There is nothing incorrect about my description. If you lost in OT historically, you were in a playoff game!! Now, if you’re thinking about when overtime was first introduced to regular season games, it was decided that not awarding a point for a regulation tie would cause the overtime session to be a 5-minute defensive bore because nobody would want to risk the point. Of course, that’s absolutely correct, so the league left the point for a regulation tie and awarded a further point for a win in overtime. There is no point for losing – you just get to keep the one you earned after 60 minutes. It really isn’t that difficult.

19. krob1000 says:

2 and a half hours to go…..enjoy folks I am outta here for the day.

20. coutNY says:

He had a major Sprained ankle for most of his stint with the Dogs. I believe…

Click here as noted in Boone’s game log and scroll down in his game log to the “between periods (during first intermission)” note.

21. coutNY says:

My pet peeve is people that incorrectly describe historical events such as “teams get a point for a regulation tie, just as they always have throughout the history of the NHL.” As others have pointed out, historically if you lost in OT you did not get points, while both teams recieved a point if no winner was determined after the OT period.

The system is flawed in that teams can miss playoffs because they did not have enough of their losses occur in OT. Yet that same team could have more outright wins overall…

Last year Montreal had 2 more wins than NYI and TO, but missed the playoffs!

I support a system of deminishing returns.

2 points regulation win
    2 points in 5 minute OT win
    1 point shootout win

NO point for surviving regulation.

22. krob1000 says:

Why not just play and talk in the dressing room (leave the talking to the fans and the media)….give the same cookie cutter answers to the media. Why fuel the oppositions fire and give them statements to write on the chalkboard before games againts us??? I agree with the mentality 110% but the pressure is already ridiculous in Montreal. I don’t think it was a big deal or anything I just know it will come up again if we have a losing streak of any sort and at that point it may become an issue…..why plant that seed??? You can guarantee no issue by keeping your mouth shut and letting your stick talk……or by backing it up…but like I said why create the situation to begin with.

23. krob1000 says:

I didn’t say they shouldn’t think that way…..I said he shouldn’t be talking publicly that way…..HUGE DIFFERENCE. Koivu chose his words far more carefully.

Who does a statement like that really benefit when it is said aloud in Montreal….aside from the angry mob should we lose a game or two.

24. T-roy West says:

I don’t give a hoot how many stars Washington has. If you don’t play like a team then you lose as individuals. Individual efforts are meaningless!!! We have a “real team” and we shouldn’t be afraid of anyone. Someone said today (Krob1000 I think) that mybe Higgins shouldn’t have said what he did,about chasing people above instead of below, and had kept it to himself. I think looking at the people ahead of you in the standings and going after them is alot more healthy and motivating then looking behind you and Koivu also agreed with Higgins. Let the battle begin and enjoy the ride folks! Go Habs Go!

Hey Teach – Looking at our next 6 games, would you start Halak against the Islanders on Saturday and against Toronto on the following Thursday? That would give Huet sufficient rest and have Halak go up against teams where he has a good chance of grabbing two points.

The Original 24 Cups

Careful Cable Guy – Johnson has won his last three starts and has been the better Washington goalie the past few weeks. Don’t jinx us!

The Original 24 Cups

27. The Teacher says:

Hmm Before this last 5 game stretch I said that I expected the Habs to take 8 out of their next ten points, and they did!!! Granted, I didn’t “expect” them to beat the Devils.

With this in mind, I have looked at our next 5 games, and I must say as an fan who likes to analyze, I expect another 8 points. If they are truly contenders, that’s what I expect.

However, I only think they’ll come away with 6 or 7 though (yes, just being over .500 isn’t good enough for me).

28. habfan53 says:

The wings are thinking Next year Chelios and Lindstrom.
    I have to hand it to Brian Burke though he has found a way to get around the salary cap. Anaheim is 4 points up on Colorado for the final spot so this should be enough to get them in. It’s like making a trade and not giving anything up or signing 2 free agents.
    The two guys I feel sorry for are the two that will be sent down or released after busting their buts for the team.

29. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Thats RIGHT!…after the ROCKET broke the leash that IRVIN had on him!
    thats what the boys have to do tonight, BREAK CARBS LEASH and UNLEASH!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

30. Steve C. says:

what are you talking about? Roy Dupuis threw him DOWN!

31. drecha says:

No worries my freind, I am confident that the team will show up for all four games! They may not come out with 8 but you know that is their mission and that is all we can ask for.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

32. habfan53 says:

No fear, just a comment. You know these guys if we win 5-1 Huet let in a soft one. If we win 4-2 we had a defensive lapse.

33. habfan53 says:

Is anyone else worried about the next four games??. We SHOULD beat Washington twice but realistically we all know how hard it is to sweep both games of a home and home. Then TWO afternoon games on the week-end When was the last time Montreal won in the afternoon. To be honest if we get 5 points (ooops there is that point for losing) I’ll be one happy guy.

34. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Anybody but him…after what he did to they ROCKET…he wouldn’t get out alive!
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

35. Cable Guy says:

Kolzig’s not playing. Beating Brent Johnson should be a walk in the park. I expect at least 6 goals by us tonight.

36. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

If my post had some numbers followed by a trizillion ZEROS…he’d be able to read it…and be signing it too…

but we’ll have to leave the ‘shaken’ to KOMI…can’t wait.

lets see if he goes down Komi’s side, or Markov…either way he should be done.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

37. Habs_008 says:

Lets say that we do get Avery and he plays well for us. I’m sure the fans will get over it….Plus he was in the Rocket playing a punching bag….it’s not like his last name is Lindros.

38. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I don’t hear that many BIG players complimenting Montreal…in fact i hear NONE….unfortunately these days players don’t comment as such…something to do with MONEY.

as for OVECH:
    it was all in the timing and the connection to Markov and the fact that I hold the Great Canadiens to be on the ‘most desirable list’ of places to sign!

did you read the article on Valentenko (with the dogs) – the kid was CRYING when his agent told him he was signed by Montreal, as Montreal still is THE PLACE TO BE for the kids in Moscow…

but that GREEDY OVECH went for the cash and used us as BAIT….thats all.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

39. Steve C. says:

True, but they still end up losing the game. It’s not over after 60 minutes. I agree with what you’re saying, but imagine this:

You’re in the playoffs, you lose in overtime. But since you lost in overtime, you get like…half a win or something. it doesn’t make sense. the game isn’t over after 60 minutes because there hasn’t been a winner.

40. RH says:

I can’t speak for Habs-Professor but anyone who says he’s been a Habs fan since primordial nucleosynthesis, must have some sort of a sense of humour.

41. Cable Guy says:

I think people are referring to years ago when two teams went into overtime, if one team scored they would get 2 points and the other team would get nothing, if overtime finished in a tie then each team would get one point. Now if the team just gets into overtime they get a point automatically and thats not how it always was throughout the history of the NHL.

42. drecha says:

I am not saying that I would not welcome him on the team, but since that incident I just do not see it happening. I have been screaming for the Habs to bring in a guy like Laraque, after all he seems to play his best hockey in our building.

43. Rocket9 says:

ok, am I an idiot? was that tongue in cheek? if so I’m sorry for jumping on you.

44. Shiloh says:

I have a pet peeve – people incorrectly referring to “getting a point for a loss”. Teams do not get a point for a loss – they get a point for a regulation tie, just as they always have throughout the history of the NHL. There is no change at all regarding one point for a tie. What is new is the practice of giving an additional point for a win in overtime or via a shootout. So – there is no point awarded for a loss – it is awarded for a tie after 60 minutes.

45. RH says:

You should have your own blog. Hilarious! Anyway, hopefully, OV has been reading your posts and is visibly shaken by them tonight.

46. Rocket9 says:

I can’t stand the guy either, but I do think he’s the type of player we need on this team. Someone like him or a Chris Niel type player would make a huge difference. I’m not a fan of the goon, but a guy who can drop the gloves and puts the puck in the net would be a major assett.

To me, this team needs a guy like that and one more top 3 forward, and we’re a serious contender.

47. Rocket9 says:

What the heck are you talking about? All our hopes were flying? If anyone thought Ovechkin, a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT, was going to sign in Montreal, they are the fool.

Are you one of those people who automatically think that if a big name player compliments Montreal, it means they want to play there?

That’s how leaf fans think.

48. drecha says:

I don’t think that would work very well considering he called all french canadian hockey players soft (and I am cleaning it up alot). I don’t think he would be very welcomed here, and I am pretty sure he would feel the same way.

49. coutNY says:

I would have agreed with you back in late November/early December, but the tranformation of Kovalev has made me believe mircales can happen. He’s played better than I ever remembered and he’s playing Guy’s type hockey! Responsible… Even seeing some PK time. Unthinkable a year ago.

This Habs team has been one of the most exciting teams I have seen since I was a kid…

50. Habs_008 says:

I dont think we need an Avery, we need a Centre or power forward, we already have a pest in Lapiere

51. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

thats the kind of edge we need to carry into tonights game…and beyond.
    like it there? the money ya, but then he shouldn’t have said ANYTHING about Montreal and how its the best place to play…thats an insult to us because 48hrs later he signed.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

52. Xtrahabsfan says:

Sean Avery has hit a road block in N.Y. I propose a swap for Ryder,great for both teams and players.

53. cautiousoptimist says:

wow – hostility much? Here’s a crazy idea: maybe he just likes it there?

54. cautiousoptimist says:

No agent – he negotiated the deal himself. Wow.

55. HABZ 24 says:

this is it,its race to the playoffs time.this is when it really gets exciting.after the boring meaningless allstar break were allready to watch our habs roll into a playoff spot and beyond.i predict the habs finishing 5th in the conference.drop the puck!! lets go!! go habs go!!

56. MatttheHabsFan says:

He wasn’t an UFA…

57. Richard B says:

I think he is very exciting offensively…but he appears to be less excited about playing D.
    In that leafs game he was floating around the defensive end with only one hand on the stick, and was waiting for the puck to bounce to him.
    I think if he wants to stay excited about hockey he better stick with Washington and stay as far away from Guy as possible.

58. Habs_008 says:

I saw parts of both games last week and you are right, he was everywhere, he just has that will to win, do or die attitude that some people are born with. The NHL has become like the NFL, Any given Sunday, meaning any team can beat any team on any given night. Habs Should come away with 4pts, but it wont be an easy task.

59. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I never said we wouldn’t want to see him wearing the CH, but now that he slapped ALL HABS FANS in the face, he has become ALL OF THE ABOVE that I wrote below.

Remember HE SAID, Montreal is the greatest place to play hockey, the fans, the city, my good friend here…and he was an UFA…all our hopes were flying…then a few days later the BIG SLAP TO US ALL….

the IDIOT FOOL (actually it was a brilliant move) opened his mouth just to put fear into the SUITS in washington to sign him ASAP….and they did.

Brilliant P.R. move by Ovech (or his agent)….I hope everyone was taking notes.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

I watched the Washington-Lousy Leaf games and let me tell you Ovechkin was unreal. He was all over the ice and skated miles throughout the game. He also hit everything in sight and didn’t back down from anyone. He was dangerous when teamed with Backstrom and seemed to create scoring chances at will. He has a hell of a shot and isn’t afraid to take the puck to the net. Right now, he has to be the hottest player in the NHL. This Washington team can really skate and Mike Green seemed to be half defenseman/half forward every time he was on the ice. The Capitals also seem to play a real chippy form of hockey as there are some questionable hits at times, especially from behind. This will be a very tough home and home battle.

The Origiinal 24 Cups

61. Habs_008 says:

Yeah but smokes is playing well right now and I like Bouli he is a physical d-men, even though he is small…he can play tough.

62. habsguy says:

Hummm, I kinda thought Ovechkin was the one who at least tried to put some excitment into a pretty lame display of skills…..As far as being a loser, idiot or fool, well I think it would take at least one of the above who wouldn’t want to see him with a CH on his chest.

63. rogus says:

Begin > Dandy
    Gorges > Dandy

64. rogus says:

When is the media going to figure out that Koivu doesn’t center our first line?!?

65. NoTinFoilCups says:

His mommy made hime do it 😉

66. Habs_008 says:

what about Dandy! He is gonna lose it again….I hear little Violin music playing in the background…..Im sure he will get in there soon anyways, I like him but can do without the whinning.

67. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

FINALLY, the real ALL-STAR TEAM is back in action!

that was the worst drought of Hablessness we’ve ever experienced…at least in the summer its easy to forget about hockey for awhile, but NOW! with the team running on a high, what a DISASTER to have this break….not to mention its a total WASTE of time….watching ovech try to lift the puck…get lost loser….go and sign in the murder capital of north american IDIOT…don’t join the greatest Hockey Team in the history of the world…with your best friend….you FOOL.

I guess money is your only friend, in that case I’m glad your not here.

And in the back to back, if your held off the score sheet and Komi pounds you to the ice, that would be almost as good as beating Toronto!

as for the lineup:
    the Team is succeeding, DO NOT CHANGE when its working, DO NOT TRADE when its working, DO NOT TINKER when its working…the greatest element we have going for us now is CONFIDENCE…change DESTROYS confidence. A team thats together and having success must believe in each other, and have CONFIDENCE in each others roles…its called settling in to your groove, and thats where we were before that STUPID ‘all-something’ break.

Tonight we find out if we are still on track….if so, LOOK OUT.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev… his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

68. showey47 says:

i’m pretty sure ryan will be back next week. I wouldn’t be surprised if gainey sends him down to hamilton for game conditioning purposes. Especially with the log jam of players we have with the big club right now and with the team winning carbo will not change his lineup.

69. Lee_D says:

Higgins – Koivu – Ryder
    A. Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Kovalev
    Latendresse – Lapierre – S. Kostitsyn
    Begin – Smolinski – Kostopoulos

Markov – Komisarek
    Hamrlik – Streit
    Bouillon – Gorges

70. RetroMikey says:

I’ve never been excited after an all star break to start the 2nd half of the season! We are improving game in and out. I predicited before the season that we would end up 5th in the Eastern Conference and don’t be surprised if we finish a strong 4th. The young guys are starting to mature and contribute, I expected the results last year at this time but better late than never.

What’s going to carry us is the veterans like Smolinski and Brisebois, yes, you heard it from me! The old goats are going to help us in the long haul down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Michael Ryder has got to go, I’d trade him in a heartbeat with Dandeneault, Boullion, and even Begin so we can get that strong skilled offensive centreman (Marcel Groc from San Jose would be a steal) we need. We’ve got to come to an agreement that these guys have contributed over the years and that we have the young guns on this team who can replace them now.

Since I’ve always campaigned before the season to bring in Rick Nash, that will never happen. Just would be nice as added insurance to fill this void in the playoffs.

Carey Price will be back in time before the playoffs. The kid is playing in Hamilton and learning every game he has played. Ryan O’Byrne will be back but will have to play in Hamilton for seasoning before being called up. Let’s not give up hope on Kyle Chipchura, Corey Locke, and Mikhail Garabovsky yet. These kids will come back with fire in the eyes.

Carbonneau and his coaching staff are exceptional at what they do and are getting better as well and communicating with the players.

Washington looks like a team on the horizon. We should not take this team lightly.

We’re going to surprise alot of skeptics and teams when we make the playoffs. All it takes is 16 games to win the Cup! You never know what can happen but our future looks so promising. In Bob I trust totally! Let’s play hockey!
    Good luck boys tonite, play hard and hustle!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

71. Lee_D says:

Yeeeeeah I’ll be at this game! Go habs go! Can’t wait to see Ovechkin for the first time 😀

72. Habs_008 says:

Welcome, Ont Hab Fan, being from T.O its all Laffs all the time here, it is very boring hockey talk. Who cares they are the worst organization in the game. TSN, CBC and Sportsnet dont help it die down either, they always talk Laffs first everyone else second. I love how they SUCKS SO MUCH! haha, GO HABS GO! In tough against Ovechin, he always shows up when playing in the big crowd in MTL. Lets see what happens tonight.

73. Sulemaan says:

Should be an interesting game tonight. As mjames noted, it will be nice to see how the team performs after a layoff. I think it will be good, especially for the older players who need to recharge the batteries (Koivu, Kovalev, Huet, Hamrlik) and finish off the second half strong.

Let’s just hope the boys don’t come out flat tonight…

74. The Teacher says:

I think it’s just a play on words. Giving a point for ending regulation time tied effectively means that that at least one team will get a point, for losing. Hence a loser point, cause the team who gets the point ALWAYS loses, and NEVER ties.

There is quite a change regarding the tie point. If I recall correctly, there was never a tie point given if a goal was scored in Overtime. Two went to the winner, and ZERO went to the loser.

The shootout is the culprit, it sucks.

Make overtime 5 minutes longer with the last 5 at 3 on 3 (Resurface the ice if you have to, we pay enough). At three on three, most teams will realize they have to go all out for the goal, or else someone will score with that much room.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 😛

75. nightmare_49 says:

Ex Hab in Nunavik – Here’s a nice video clip of Joey Juneau and his family and his hockey project in Nunavik (in french)