Game 50: Flyers make Habs pay for penalties

Canadiens’ Carey Price gets beaten by Flyers’ Jeff Carter during the first period on Tuesday night in Philadelphia. Paul Bereswill, Gatty Images

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Mathieu Darche | David Desharnais

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | James Wisniewski | Jeff Halpern | Chris Pronger | Peter Laviolette | Sean O’Donnell | Claude Giroux I and II

• At a Glance: The Philadephia Flyers won their 1,000 regualar-season home game in franchise history with ease on Tuesday night, using the power play to dump the Canadiens 5-2.
The Flyers scored two power-play goals late in the first period to take a 2-0 lead over undisciplined Canadiens, who took three penalties within a 1:31 span to face two 5-on-3 disadvantages.
Jeff Carter scored 17:42 into the period and Kimmo Timonen scored 1:03 later to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead.
The Flyers added two more goals in the second period, one on the power play, to take a 4-1 lead.
Daniel Carcillo made it 3-0 only 23 seconds into the second period with a backhand that eluded Carey Price.
David Desharnais scored for the Canadiens 12:43 into the period to make it 3-1, but the damage was done.
Claude Giroux scored the a power-play goal for the fourth Flyers goal with 3:08 to play in the middle period, his 19th of the season.
Mathieu Darche scored in the third period, his ninth of the season, to make it 4-2 Flyers with less than five minutes to play.
Daniel Brière scored into an empty net.
Montreal went 0-for-7 with the extra skater.

• What It Means: The Canadiens fall to 27-18-5 and remain at 59 points for seventh place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are off until Feb.1 for the NHL All-Star Break, playing the Washington Capitals before travelling home to take to take on the Florida Panthers on Feb. 2. After that, the Canadiens play a pair of matinees during Super Bowl Weekend with games against the New York Rangers on Feb. 5 and New Jersey Devils on Feb. 6.

1. Psycho29 says:

Discussion on CKAC this afternoon concerning Kirk Muller & the Coaching sitaution in Montreal, etc….

To Translate what Michel Bergeron said:

“If the Montreal Canadiens cannot find a francophone head coach, don’t worry…..in a couple of years the new Quebec City team will find one.”

I guess that pretty well sums it up…

2. Mattyleg says:

As I posted above, Snow is doing his job by suspending a player who belongs to the club who refuses to show up when asked.

What Nabokov ‘says’ (as in “I only want to play for Detroit”) means absolutely nothing. It’s like a player saying that he will only play when the other team puts their first line on the ice. It’s so much hot air that has nothing to do with the game, the rules, or what anybody else wants.

The rules are made by the NHL, the league that Nabokov wanted to play in, and he chose to ignore them because he seemed to think that they do not apply to him, for some reason.

Snow is not blocking Nabokov from playing for the Wings. The only reason that Snow didn’t go for him is because he probably knew that another team would claim him off waivers! Like he did! Like San Jose did with Wellwood!

The rule is there to prevent teams from bringing players in and out of the league whenever they want.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. wall2bay says:

I wanna see PK lay out Richards SOOOOO bad!!!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

4. TripleX says:

I aplologize for the error, although I don’t believe it greatly altered my overall argument.

Why the vitriol?

5. KenD29 says:

Barry Trotz may have something to say about the Jack Adams

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

6. TomNickle says:

I absolutely love that Leaf fans are piling on Senators fans right now. And I have the following bit of information for Jeff(typical Leaf fan)if he’s kicking around. The Senators have Jared Cowan, Robin Lehner and Erik Karlsson to build around, oh, and a lottery pick this coming off-season, and the Leafs have Nazem Kadri, and, and, and………..well, that appears to be all. I do like Keith Aulie but if anyone can screw him up the Leafs can.  So you can pencil the Senators in for one of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Couturier or Adam Larsson.

7. TripleX says:

That someone so lacking in basic self awareness, would presume to advise others about class, is both sad and funny.

By the way, your usage of the word “dumb” is hardly CORRECT English.  I would call you a hypocrite, but that would be unfair, more like simply ignorance.

8. KenD29 says:

Two words  “Lucic” and “Markov”.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

9. Say Ash says:

What a jerk, eh?

10. shiram says:

As compared to Price, I would like to see Plekanec at the ASG, it might showcase his skills and ability to the rest of the world, he usually is underestimated.

11. TripleX says:

Perhaps, but then that only buttresses my argument that it was more personal than business.

Practical jokes are one thing, but playing with someone’s life is a douche move.

12. Malreg says:
    Bob McKenzie

I suspect MTL’s Plekanec and BUF’s Vanek are amongst others getting ASG consideration. Keep in mind, some players have plans/declined.
  13. Say Ash says:

easter egg!

14. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

The reason why they are suspending him is to get him to play. I believe that if he goes the rest of the season under suspension for not reporting, his contract will extend to next season. The Islanders will have him under contract for $500k (or so) and will be able to deal his rights to any team without him having to clear waivers.

I could be wrong here, but I beieve that’s how it works. Either the Isles get him this year, or they get him next year. If he won’t report again next year, they have a low-contract asset to trade that doesn’t have to pass waivers. Seems like a pretty good move.

15. TripleX says:

I imagine if you advised your “clients” to buy Apple stock like my father and I did last year, they would be VERY happy.

16. fbkj says:

is the giroux audio 1 a passive aggressive swipe in that its called Gir1.mp3 or should i stop looking at the world in l337?

17. krob1000 says:

hodgemail…re Gretzky what should he do next?

We have Sid…who does his best…but is busy playing..but he is undoubtedly the NHL’s actingposter boy.  I would love to see Wayne not get involved for a couple of years competitively or for any one organization.  I would love to see him named League Ambassador. I think the NHL and the game in general could benefit from the Great One being accesible….to the lay people…to the kids whose families can’t afford $400 to watch a game and get a glimpse of Wayne behind a bench.  Wayne’s name still carries clout and even the young kids have an idea of who he is…but before he is too old and frail I would suggest everyone inthe NHL pitch in and have Wayne..sell the game….Wayne is a magical personality but unfortunately these superstars are not accessible while they play…taht can change once retired.  Wayne has the time right now and it would be an incredible thing….Wayne could tour like the Cup does…who in their right mind wouldn’t like to meet Wayne Gretzky…really? I think non hockey fans would take a little more interest…in the summer current superstars or local heroes from the areas he is visiting or other players could tour with him as well.  I

know it is very basic and simple it seems dumb…but it could be Wayne’s last great sales tour…poor guy was geographically dispersed through the States intenionally to try and sell the game…but hokcey used to be about kids getting on ponds…now it is about dollars and cents……A Wayne Gretzky tour would be incredible…a wayne and friends tour even..anything…but it HAS to be accessilbe to the layman….really accessible….even a television show like Hockeyville type format but with Wayne visiting school boards that meet in a central location like a junior arena,etc…..if they are serious about selling the game and maintainig the game…then go after the average joes that are being chased away from the game…..hell they always have been and still are the game. If a television show ere made then the possibilities for events/charity dollars, NHl goodwill, NHl aawreness,etc are limitless……Wayne already walks on water…but this would be the clincher IMO.

Wayne is plain and simpy the best there ever was…so while he still his held in the same esteem and before he gets too old…he could still reach several generations…but it has to happen sooner than later…because he no doubt wants to be involved competitvely again at some point….

18. Storm Man says:

I told them to buy apple stock 5 years ago. Tell your dad he is a little behind the times.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

19. LA Loyalist says:

Wow. Ok. How briefly can I do this?

1. The concept of Canada is that of an equal partnership between the French and English cultures wherein each is equal. You are entitled to be served in an Alberta government office in French. You are entitled to be served in English by a Quebec City government worker (bon chance).

2. The majority of Quebecois are fine with this arrangement. The problem is a minority of separatists who have used their position to blackmail the rest of the country by continually threatening to leave. What few are willing to remember is Rene Levesque did not get power because of a popular support for separatism, the vote was a reaction to the corruption of the Duplessis government, but the separatists took it as a carte blanche for their agenda. So obviously your reading of Quebec history is incomplete.

3. Do you realize how much Quebec has suffered culturally and economically since the 80’s because of the ruling class’s unwillingness to evolve past their parochial paradigm? And don’t say it’s the Anglo’s fault – the separatists don’t like the “Francais du France” either, there was  a large influx in the 70’s and 80’s to Quebec of young French people because Paris was so expensive – and many of them have moved on to LA and New York, or god forbid, Toronto, because of local hostility. I lived through this and witnessed dozens of incidents.

4. There used to be large dynamic communities in Montreal of Jewish, Greek, and many other cultures. The whole garment industry for the country was centered around St. Laurent. These are greatly diminished now, gone to Toronto, to the loss of Montreal.

I am an anglo-Canadian. I studied in France. I lived in Montreal for some years and became a Habs fan in 1984. I have lived in California since 2000. And I can tell you with great authority that if you don’t see a difference between English Canada and the U.S. you are not paying attention and just “spewing” (your word) some agenda I can’t decipher.

You would be stunned by how many Anglo and French Canadians are here in Los Angeles – and I guaranty you many of us would never have left if not for Rene Levesque and his heirs.

No one is bashing French culture or heritage. We bash a minority of blackmailers who refuse to honor their agreed obligation to treat both cultures equally. Is that clear enough for you?

20. punkster says:

Fine, just stop repeating that word please. Call him an ass or a fool.

***Subbang!!!***

21. joeybarrie says:

By taking advantage of a rule, and blocking Nabby from playing anywhere else. He literally STOLE him and that was the risk that they took. I do not feel sorry for them, nor do I feel bad for Nabby. He made his bed when he left the NHL, but he didn’t screw anyone over. It was known from BEFORE he even agreed to terms he would not join anyone who picked him up on waivers.

Its not about refusing to play, its about taking the offer that was given to him and then being forced by the league to go play elsewhere. It was Snow’s right to try and pick him up, and he FAILED. So he retaliates by suspending him. Nabby NEVER agreed to play for the Isles. So to me, you simply put him back on waivers, as you never invested ANYTHING in him to begin with, cause you simply tried to steal him.

WHY SUSPEND HIM? WHAT IS THE BENEFIT THERE??? WHAT MAKES IT OK FOR SNOW TO BLOCK HIM FROM GOING ANYWHERE ELSE?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. GrimJim says:

Did we already discuss the report about him being investigated by the LA Police for allegdedly punching a woman in the face while dancing at a night club there? It was reported here in Calgary yesterday but I really couldn’t care less

23. LA Loyalist says:

Not to start a brawl, but this was supposed to be the team with veteran leadership and intangibles — and discipline.

It’s no secret what we would be facing in Philly — if we all knew, how come JM didn’t?

24. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

How is that not “just business”? He either gets an experienced goalie for cheap this year, or gets a cheap, tradeable asset for next year. That seems like pretty good business overall.

25. joeybarrie says:

Sbow didn’t attempt to try to get Nabby, and if he did then he FAILED. Detroit didn’t fail to have him show up. Everything else you say, to me, shows that Snow is simply being an a-hole. It is within his rights. But it will hurt him in the long run. There is no point in NOT PUTTING HIM BACK ON WAIVERS. Nabby will not play for them. That is how he is holding him ransom. The risk was there, so FINE. It was known, but still. Ask yourself this. If you were Detroit, would you EVER deal with Snow again, unless you were screwing him over?????

I wouldn’t. And I think that Snow will soon be GONE. Cause he did nothing here, but block a player. He didn’t get the player, he failed, then he took a fit and suspended him. Serves no purpose.

I STILL HAVENT SEEN ANYONE ANSWER ME WHAT PURPOSE IT SERVES TO SUSPEND HIM…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. Muckbringer says:

see we are sovrein and have a charter of rights. not a constitution held by the top 1%.  go be a slave

27. Mattyleg says:

There is no ‘taking advantage of a rule’. The rules are there, and the GMs play by them.

Snow did not fail to pick him up. He picked him up. Nabokov belongs to NYI, regardless of what he says. Suspending him does not block him from going anywhere else; owning him does. As Snow owns Nabokov. And when… (as I’ve said).

Imagine if Snow said “Oh, you don’t want to play for us? Oh, okay, here, go back on waivers.” Then New Jersey picks him up. Well congratulations, Snow, you’ve been had.

Snow’s doing the right thing. Every GM would agree.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. joeybarrie says:

I also disagree with the NHL being different. Yes the teams compete, however they are ALL part of the same company, THE NHL… There is a company union, and director meetings and a president that presides over all teams like divisions within a certain company.

Basically when they trade players it is as if to me a CEO decides to send his VP of Sales to become the VP of Distribution of something. If you do not want to do what the company wants you to do you have a few option depending on how you were hired, or you can simply quit and go work for a different company (LIKE THE KHL).

Nabby was hired to become the head of the Detroit office (so he could be close to his kids as an example of motivation) and they decided to sent him to New York where he would be far from his family (again only as an example of motivation) and the cost of living is alot higher.

To me there is no difference. He either sgrees to what the company wants to do with him, or he quits. The only thing wrong here is the VP of the North East district who wants to steal the companies new aquisition to make his area better than the North Central Division, despite the knowledge that the employee wanted to be close to his family.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. Habfan4lfe says:

Demers. Says it all. To be honest, it’s this idiocy of forcing the french language down everyone throats that has messed this club up. Instead of putting a good coach on the bench we got Martin. 97% of the Candiens players are non-Quebecois. Anyone and everyone can see how idiotic it is to say we need a francophone coach. This is the NHL, it’s not Montreal’s business. It’s Bettmans. And Demers, he should have stayed out of the NHL. He’s way passed his time and 3/4 of the time it’s just utter nonsense coming out of his big bouche.

30. Psycho29 says:

Good for Garth Snow….the rule is there to keep the top/rich teams from grabbing players who left the NHL on their own or had to leave because nobody had room for their massive contract demands.

Maybe now he will go back on waivers and a team like Ottawa will take him. And he won’t report there and THEY can suspend him….

31. Storm Man says:

My hobby is trying to understand why we have people like you on this earth. I fail to understand your family tree. And my Clients are always happy with me that is why Im where im at in life and you will always be looking up.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

32. Mattyleg says:

Because it could happen to any team.

And it’s also funny when players have hissy fits and throw tantrums.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. Mark C says:

By suspending Nappy now, I believe there is a loop hole in the CBA that would allow the NYI to hold his rights next year.

34. joeybarrie says:

If SK did not want to play for the Bulldogs, then yes he was right in not reporting. He also has to suffer the consequences and right now it means playing in Nashville. Good enough team, but no real future. His quality of life had to take a huge step back, as he was in the right city to begin with. To me Montreal (outside of Hockey) is a better suited place for him. However he though he was bigger than the team. He learned his lesson and now plays in the Bible Belt to a half full arena of country music lovers. Stanley Cup???? No chance. But he did learn a lesson. Players like that are not good for a team in the long run. Now that being said, let’s remember that the MONTREAL CANADIENS picked him, trained him, developed him and put their faith in himself and his Brother. The Habs gave him many opportunities he would not have gotten with other teams, including playing in London. In my personal opinion he is an IDIOT for not reporting. He OWED the Habs.

Nabokov owes absolutely NOTHING to the Isles. He did nothing to them, and had no interest in them either way. Thats the difference. I do not think it shows a poor attitude. Nabby has paid his dues to the league and the teams he has played for. He honored his contract with them.

As for the rules, I think if it is before the trade deadline and a player wants to join a team from another league, WHO HAS FULLFILLED HIS PREVIOUS NHL CONTRACT. And was considered upon his departure an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT, and in good standing, I do not understand why he is suddenly RESTRICTED. Especially in a league where it does not work both ways, because they have no interest or need for a release from the NHL. Also of note, it is not ANY other league. It is a whole different system. If it was something within the NHL, like the AHL, ECHL, the Q, or any other league affiliated with the NHL then I can understand. But the KHL has no affiliation with the NHL and chooses not to have any…

After the trade deadline I think it would have been fair, as no other team would be capable of doing something similar on fair ground.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. JIMVINNY says:

Gretz is pissed at the NHL for screwing him out of millions of dollars when they took over the Coyotes.  Until that is taken care of, he isn’t going to do anything to help them out.

36. Muckbringer says:

still youre no publication?  please tell us how it is up here. oh, sorry, i tried that with my 17% unemployed accent

37. shiram says:

So the company (nhl) via it’s rules state that Nabo should report to NYI, even though he would prefer CHI, and when he doesnt respond or show, the GM of the NYI office suspends him, or whatever else corporate lingo you wanna substitute in. It’s still the same thing, if he works for the nhl, he should work where they tell him to work.

And the rules set in made it so he had to report to NYI, he didnt, band suspended.

38. WestHab says:

Happy Robbie Burns Day!

Just in case you needed a reason to drink scotch during the game. We are doing haggis as well so I’ll be putting the pvr to use.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

39. TripleX says:

Well, if that is indeed true?  Why would I doubt you?

Since Apple stock has increased in value by 1400% over the last five years, you and your “clients” must be quite happy.  You must work simply as a diversion and a hobby.  Yes?

40. Gormdog says:

100%.

Nabokov had his chance to play in the NHL – last year in the offseason. He gave up his right to make the NHL his oyster when he ran off to Russia for big money.

41. observer says:

Well you better protect it AND its not from the Anglos you need protection from you blind fool! Take a look at France and they invented the French language.

42. Everlasting1 says:

The real coach behind the bench.

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

43. joeybarrie says:

I really do not think that’s what happened. I think he tried to make a go of it in Russia and didn’t like the scene. He saw an opportunity with the Wings who are looking for a better back-up for a run at the Cup. Seems like a great deal.

I think they all knew the fine print, and basically took a shot. They said he wouldn’t play for anyone else, and Snow tried to call him on it.

He is not Pulling a Lindros, and by the way, look at how that ended. Nords went to Colorado. I do not understand why a player cannot refuse playing in a situation where they think they will not like. It’s just like any other job, do not like the company, don’t take the job. But here they are bashed and called names. I don’t know what you do for a living, but if another company came along and said, HEY we are one of the WORST in the industry right now, but we will pay you the same, want to come to LONG ISLAND? We might have half the arena filled for the BIG games…

It’s a stupid rule. Maybe if it was after the trade deadline, but not before. At his age given the options, I would not play for the Islanders, if I were him. Where is the motivation? All he will end up doing is being miserable and making his stats worse. He has paid his dues and can afford to be picky now.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. habs365 says:

If I was the Habs I wouldn’t be concerned about fighting..I’d be concerned about putting points on the board..philly can put points on the board and fight..the Habs are a little behind them in that department..if the Habs defence fails..it will be an easy 2pts for Philly..offence, the Habs no match..defence Habs hands down..bring home the 2pts Habby’s……

45. joeybarrie says:

How has Snow been had if another team claims him? NABOKOV WILL NOT PLAY FOR NEW YORK ISLANDERS. SNOW GETS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NO MATTER WHAT. THERE IS NO WIN FOR HIM. No possibility that anything good can come of this suspension. WHAT DOES SNOW GAIN IN ANY SITUATION????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

46. MikeC says:

Snow cannot trade nabokov, he can only put him back on waivers. Do your homework TripleX

47. Storm Man says:

I think you need to return that magic 8ball Triple, It’s sounds alot like when you came on here telling us all that Apple would be the number one company at the end of the year. So what happened with that????. Back to the back of the bus Triple and try again.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

48. SmartDog says:

“The truth is, without Québec and its culture, your country would cease to exist in any significant form.”

You’re American? Wow.  I NEVER would have guessed. I am sorry but that is such a classic arrogant American thing to say.

You shouldn’t call yourself an “unbiased” observer, you should call yourself a “know-nothing” oberserver.  The French language issue is very complicated. There is bitterness on both sides.  Certainly for the Habs to be handcuffed for largely political reasons does not seem smart. And that’s only the surface issue. Beyond this there are much deeper issues that I won’t even touch on this forum.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

49. J_P says:

Yeah but all that is irrelevant because it was a Douche move for Garth to claim him in the first place.

I dont necessarily agree with Nabokov, but he appeared to have learnt his lesson when he signed a meagre $750K deal to sign with a playoff contender.  Obviously he was going to be claimed before he ever got to Detroit, but common, the Islanders?

Garth probably wanted to sign Nabokov to showcase him for a trade, and now he got hosed.  If Garth actually thought Nabokov would play there he’s even more dillusional than I thought!

50. punkster says:

Lorne, I take a different view of this than you and of the others who have responded. Take it for what it is; a laughable attempt by Snow (a notrious locker room joker when he was a player) to teach both the league and an egotistical player and his manager a lesson in business. There’s been alot of that going on this season (the Kovy II deal) and I would expect even more as the CBA negotiations get close.

It’s a game. It really is just that.

***Subbang!!!***

51. LA Loyalist says:

interesting points, Tom, maybe you and I are more compatible on business than hockey :) — to me, without taking a side – I think this illustrates that the CBA is flawed and open to manipulation, if Snow exploits this deficiency to his own end then others will too. I’m not very sympathetic to Nabakov, either, he took a risk and will have to live with whatever the consequences may be.

As for “tanking” – what would you guys think of the idea of 1 of the top 5 draft picks being a “wild card” pick that could randomly go to any team NOT picking in the top 5? Your odds would thus be 1 in 25 irrespective of where you finish (with 30 teams). Would this be enough to discourage tanking?

52. Gormdog says:

He can be as picky as he wants, but he put himself in this situation (subjugated to waivers) by passing on the best league in the world for the money (he waited for an offer that was worth his time and never got it.. THEN went to Russia, remember?). I am happy Snow, or anyone else, picked him up.

53. shiram says:

Well that doesnt really warrant much attention, its barely a nod!

54. HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t bet on a Quebec City team in a couple of years – even if we stretch the definition of “couple”.

They have no stadium, and no money for a stadium. More importantly, nobody who controls the sport wants another team in Canada: not the League, not the American owners, not the Canadian owners (why do you think they all blackballed Balsillie?).

55. JohnBellyful says:

Nicely put. Concisely done.

56. JohnBellyful says:

Can’t watch anymore. Two giveaways by Wiz. Four dumb penalties. Can’t blame the refs. Gawd, this team makes some stupid plays.

57. Say Ash says:

just like McGuire’s GM quest

58. observer says:

NO Canadian team will ever win the Stanley Cup again as long as that New York City shyster is running this fascist league!

59. Gormdog says:

They got assets for Roloson. So they sacrifice a bit this year to get alot over the next years (Hopefully). There is a cost/benefit analysis.

With Nabokov, there is no cost. So it’s a risk free way of helping your team, in the now, without having to give anything up.

Building towards the future and playing well in the present are NOT mutually exclusive concepts.

Geez, didn’t anyone read my posts yesterday? :P

60. TripleX says:

OUCH!

Well, not everyone can afford a brilliant stock advisor like Storm.

$99?  Wow dude.  LOL

61. joeybarrie says:

The difference between Nabby and Wellwood is simply this. Wellwood did not say to begin with he would only play for St. Louis or quit. When San Jose picked him up, they thought he would want to play with them. FAIR GAME. Wellwood went to play for San Jose. If he said NO I REFUSE TO PLAY, and San Jose chose to suspend him, then i would say NO no more dealing with SJ. Cause if he wanted to play he would have and if not the WHY NOT PUT HIM BACK ON WAIVERS. WHY CHOOSE TO SUSPEND HIM. HE MADE NO DEAL WITH SJ.

STILL NO ONE HAS ANSWERED WHY SUSPEND HIM. Just simply stating they OWN him…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

62. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Posting this again because half you commenters nauseate me and I must spew something….

This is more of a reply to the posts below than it is to the original post but people… GET OVER IT! If you live in Québec, as does the Habs organization, you live in a province with the official language of FRENCH with a culture that is RECOGNIZED BY YOUR CANADIAN CONSTITUTION AS A DISTINCT NATION, and has the right to protect its culture and promote its language as it sees fit. The Canadiens are a team in a majority FRANCOPHONE city in an overwhelmingly FRANCOPHONE province. Since DAY ONE this team has been oriented toward and supported by the FRANCOPHONE COMMUNITY. The fact that the organization chooses to have coaches that can communicate with the people who have supported this team from the bginning and from which it drew its talent that enabled them to have the past success that they have is THEIR perogative and one that I agree with. Do you know the name of this team? Do you know what it means? And no, “CANADIENS” doesn’t represent the players in the uniform, but the city they play for, just like any other team name.

As an ubiased outsider, an American with no significant Québecois ancestry to my knowledge, I am routinely disgusted by both anglophone media and the comments from anglo-Canadians. I read more Canadian news, politics, and history than I probably should, and really do not understand what exactly your problem is, those of you who have this itch that needs to be scratched by bashing the French heritage of Québec. The truth is, without Québec and its culture, your country would cease to exist in any significant form. So go on, tell them to “go ahead and leave if they don’t wanna be there” etc etc. What a joke. Be careful what you wish for. If that WERE to happen I suppose then you can about the redneck culture of your western provinces like Alberta that control your country in order to stay “different” from us south of the border… but then you’d just be Texas North. Read some history instead of stat sheets and get over it.

And anyone who doesn’t think Harper will do a 180 on anything to get a spare vote is nuts and or ignorant. He’s been a flip flopping joke since elected. He will change his mind on anything for poltical expedience, and there will be plenty of money for that Québec arena sooner or later, regardless of how shady the back room dealings are.

63. TripleX says:

“LOL was that your entire vocabulary?”

What does that even mean or pertain to?

The correct usage of “douche” depends on whether it is used as a FRENCH word, or an ENGLISH word.  The ENGLISH usage is a pejorative term for a particular type of person, normally male.

Since I am commenting in ENGLISH the word was used properly.  I seriously doubt YOU have never heard it used that way before.

In closing, you have a serious chip on your shoulder dude.  I recommend using some of your wealth for weekly therapy sessions.

64. TomNickle says:

I find it much more likely that he’s trying to get into the good graces of the general managers who compete with the Red Wings for a playoff spot.

65. Storm Man says:

You’re pathetic and it is funny how you try and turns things around here. You’re the one who came on here calling someone a douche, So the only hypocrite on this site is you and you only. When you become correct about something I will let you know. It is unfair in the way I keep pointing out the truth about you.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

66. observer says:

Toe Blake was French. But Bob Gainey, Bob Berry and Al McNeil were not.

67. GrimJim says:

Ottawa considers paying for stadiums with unspent $1-billion

BILL CURRY, DANIEL LEBLANC and SEAN GORDON

Ottawa and Montreal— From Tuesday’s Globe and Mail

Federal Conservatives are eyeing an unspent pot of more than $1-billion from the 2008 budget as a way of funding pro-sports venues without coughing up new cash.

The only problem with tapping into the P3 Canada Fund – managed by a Crown corporation and designed for projects with other governments and the private sector – is that the rules specifically forbid spending the money on facilities “primarily” used for pro sports.

68. shiram says:

hehe nice one

69. zak says:

Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman. Do those names sound francophone to you? Those are the greatest coaches in the Habs history. So unless you know what you’re taliking about SHUT UP

70. Laramy87 says:

Listen to the Versus feed is as much fun as eye gauging. They are making a huge over emphasis on the Subban-Richards thing.

And called Weber the young German. God do your research

71. shiram says:

Well I guess it can work to our advantage on the ice, but doesnt he deserve more recognition for his work??

Either way i like the way his signing was done this summer, great deal for a great player.

72. Mattyleg says:

As last-place team, they get first pick at waivers.

I’m pretty sure that if the Isles hadn’t gone for him, another team would’ve.

Then it would be “so-and-so’s an a-hole!” Gimme a break.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

73. Muckbringer says:

i heard that as well.  dont wanna say i hope its true but i dont hope it isnt. surprisingly on the fence

74. habs001 says:

over the last few years in the regular season we have had a good record vs the flyers…playoffs another story..posters are saying the bruins are ahead of us because of loser points but they still have 11 more points on the road than we do…many complain about martin but based on the line up should we really have that many more points than we have…the d has to be given a lot of credit for having one of the top goals against records..right now with markov and gorges out if our d roster was named the bruins or flyers most posters would have a field day saying those teams have no chance at being below 15th in goals against….. on the pp vs the ducks plecks finally won a lot of draws so we were able to control the puck …usually he does not win the draw and the opposition clears the puck and we lose the first 30 seconds of the pp…

75. SmartDog says:

The Wiz makes a really bad giveaway.  Gomez says “I can do better than that!” and takes a dumb penalty.  No way we’ll beat the Flyers with this kind of play.