Game 50: Flyers make Habs pay for penalties

Canadiens’ Carey Price gets beaten by Flyers’ Jeff Carter during the first period on Tuesday night in Philadelphia. Paul Bereswill, Gatty Images

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Mathieu Darche | David Desharnais

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | James Wisniewski | Jeff Halpern | Chris Pronger | Peter Laviolette | Sean O’Donnell | Claude Giroux I and II

• At a Glance: The Philadephia Flyers won their 1,000 regualar-season home game in franchise history with ease on Tuesday night, using the power play to dump the Canadiens 5-2.
The Flyers scored two power-play goals late in the first period to take a 2-0 lead over undisciplined Canadiens, who took three penalties within a 1:31 span to face two 5-on-3 disadvantages.
Jeff Carter scored 17:42 into the period and Kimmo Timonen scored 1:03 later to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead.
The Flyers added two more goals in the second period, one on the power play, to take a 4-1 lead.
Daniel Carcillo made it 3-0 only 23 seconds into the second period with a backhand that eluded Carey Price.
David Desharnais scored for the Canadiens 12:43 into the period to make it 3-1, but the damage was done.
Claude Giroux scored the a power-play goal for the fourth Flyers goal with 3:08 to play in the middle period, his 19th of the season.
Mathieu Darche scored in the third period, his ninth of the season, to make it 4-2 Flyers with less than five minutes to play.
Daniel Brière scored into an empty net.
Montreal went 0-for-7 with the extra skater.

• What It Means: The Canadiens fall to 27-18-5 and remain at 59 points for seventh place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are off until Feb.1 for the NHL All-Star Break, playing the Washington Capitals before travelling home to take to take on the Florida Panthers on Feb. 2. After that, the Canadiens play a pair of matinees during Super Bowl Weekend with games against the New York Rangers on Feb. 5 and New Jersey Devils on Feb. 6.

1. wall2bay says:

Sounds interesting…….lemme see and I’ll let you know.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

2. TripleX says:

That someone so lacking in basic self awareness, would presume to advise others about class, is both sad and funny.

By the way, your usage of the word “dumb” is hardly CORRECT English.  I would call you a hypocrite, but that would be unfair, more like simply ignorance.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Not to start a brawl, but this was supposed to be the team with veteran leadership and intangibles — and discipline.

It’s no secret what we would be facing in Philly — if we all knew, how come JM didn’t?

4. Muckbringer says:

see we are sovrein and have a charter of rights. not a constitution held by the top 1%.  go be a slave

5. Storm Man says:

My hobby is trying to understand why we have people like you on this earth. I fail to understand your family tree. And my Clients are always happy with me that is why Im where im at in life and you will always be looking up.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

6. Muckbringer says:

still youre no publication?  please tell us how it is up here. oh, sorry, i tried that with my 17% unemployed accent

7. observer says:

Well you better protect it AND its not from the Anglos you need protection from you blind fool! Take a look at France and they invented the French language.

8. SmartDog says:

“The truth is, without Québec and its culture, your country would cease to exist in any significant form.”

You’re American? Wow.  I NEVER would have guessed. I am sorry but that is such a classic arrogant American thing to say.

You shouldn’t call yourself an “unbiased” observer, you should call yourself a “know-nothing” oberserver.  The French language issue is very complicated. There is bitterness on both sides.  Certainly for the Habs to be handcuffed for largely political reasons does not seem smart. And that’s only the surface issue. Beyond this there are much deeper issues that I won’t even touch on this forum.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

9. LA Loyalist says:

interesting points, Tom, maybe you and I are more compatible on business than hockey :) — to me, without taking a side – I think this illustrates that the CBA is flawed and open to manipulation, if Snow exploits this deficiency to his own end then others will too. I’m not very sympathetic to Nabakov, either, he took a risk and will have to live with whatever the consequences may be.

As for “tanking” – what would you guys think of the idea of 1 of the top 5 draft picks being a “wild card” pick that could randomly go to any team NOT picking in the top 5? Your odds would thus be 1 in 25 irrespective of where you finish (with 30 teams). Would this be enough to discourage tanking?