Game 5: Price nabs first win at home in months

Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec celebrates his game-winning goal against the Senators on Saturday night. Robert J. Galbraith, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Tomas Plekanec | Andrei Kostitsyn | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Carey PriceMathieu Darche

• At a Glance: Carey Price won for the first time at the Bell Centre since Feb. 10, and the Canadiens defeated the Ottawa Senators 4-3 Saturday night.
Brian Gionta scored his first goal of the season – and his first as the Canadiens captain – only 1:06 into the game after a turnover at the Montreal blue line gave him a breakaway on Brian Elliott. Gionta deked the goalie and beat him with a backhand.
Ottawa got that one back nine minutes later when Milan Michalek pounced on rebound on a shot from Daniel Alfredsson.
The Canadiens dominated the second period, with Ottawa not getting a shot on goal until the 10:20 mark of the period. But Ottawa made it count when Erik Karlsson blasted a shot from the point past Price. Less than a minute later, Michalek scored his second of the game for a 3-1 Ottawa lead.
The Canadiens fought back, though, to tie the game 3-3 before the period was over. Jeff Halpern was credited with the second goal when his pass from behind the net went off the skate of Ottawa defenceman Chris Campoli and slipped behind Elliott.
Andrei Kostitsyn tied the game 3-3 with less than three minutes to play with a nice move after a pass from Tomas Plekanec.
The two players combined to give the Canadiens a 4-3 lead, this time with Plekanec beating Elliott with four minutes to play for his second goal of the season.
Price finished with 16 saves, while Elliott stopped 33 of 37 shots he faced. Robin Lehner stopped three shots he faced at the start of the third period as Elliott missed the first few minutes of the frame as he had a skate repaired.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens power play was blanked again, going 0-for-5 and has scored only one goal all season.

• What It Means: Montreal’s win improves its record to 3-1-1 for seven points in five games and they have won two straight games.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens have a few days off before the New Jersey Devils visit the Bell Centre. Montreal then travels to Ottawa to face the Senators again next Saturday.

1. ManApart says:

My post has to do with you calling people idiots when they make truthful and valid points. If you think they’re wrong, explain why. I’ve been on people in the past, but I explained exactly my reasoning for feeling that way and my arguement for my point of view. You give no rebuttal at all. Rarely even make a hockey point. It’s just you’re stupid when you say something negative about the Habs and your not if you don’t. I back up everything I say, with a line of reasoning, whether it’s faulty or not. I mean it’s a hockey site. You may not know much about hockey or may be a bit of a dumb hick, but at least explain why you think sombody’s opinion is ‘dumb”, if you’re going to call them that. I don’t give a crap about you or anyone else saying i’m wrong, My views are right in line with most hockey experts in and out of this town, so that says it all. My point is, if you’re going to say something, back it up with facts or something. Otherwise you’re just an internet punk.

2. jennifer1984 says:

im not sure but i know CBC plans on showing a couple of AHL games on tv this  year.

obviously not tonight but its cool knowing we can watch a few. i love going to the Dogs games.

3. saskhabfan says:

No need to come to bat for me hardhabits,his post has nothing to do with homer and everything to do with me burning him with a post he made a personal attack to ian with. Why do you think he has only responded to me and not to anyone else who responded to homerbowen? He seems to get insulted when somebody like me steps up for the berkshire’s,sf 09’s,ian cobb’s or anyone else who actually wants this team to win. Its always the same,the posters  who do nothing but attack anybody with a positive attitude throw the biggest hissy fits when somebody does it back to them or one of their little clique members.

4. StevieRay says:

What about them Braves…Milwaukee ..Aaron…Lew Burdette …Eddie Mathews ,,,Warren Spahn  ..!!!

Bring on the Brooklyn Dodgers, now that was baseball. Delormier Stadium was awesome. Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reece and many more Campanella.

6. ManApart says:

If you know anything about that guy, then you know he’s the worst one on here. Calling Homer clueless is one of his lighter attacks. I’m aware what I called him and that was being polite, according to what he deserves. He’s garbage. I mean, he really is. I don’t feel remotely close to that about anyone else on this entire site.

I’m aware it’s only 4 games in on Gomez and Gio, but nonetheless what I said is accurate. Not condemning them for the season. Just stating they have not done a thing since camp opened. We all know how over payed Gomez is, even if he was playing well, so if he’s invisible, with his cap hit, he’s the biggest liability in the league.

7. punkster says:

They allow babies to play in the NHL?

Oh, you mean tiny tots as in midgets, smurfs, little people and any other derogatory term some use when they want to make fun of other people. Kind of like the term jerk or weiner or bozo. Right? Just asking.

The only personal attacks I see are from you. Didn’t you call him a “joke” and a “moron”?

invisible all year?!?!!?! Dude!! Chill out. We’re 4 games in.

9. punkster says:

Vuk! Steve Austin look out.

10. ManApart says:

Thornton hasn’t been great in the playoffs, but he gives way more bang for your buck than Gomez. Gomez is paid more and gives you half the points. Worst contract in hockey and one that does immeasurable harm to the Habs.

11. StevieRay says:

Quota from Nova Scotia also … to many Bluenosers ???   come on …we’re not that scary !!!!