Game 5: Price nabs first win at home in months

Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec celebrates his game-winning goal against the Senators on Saturday night. Robert J. Galbraith, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Tomas Plekanec | Andrei Kostitsyn | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Carey PriceMathieu Darche

• At a Glance: Carey Price won for the first time at the Bell Centre since Feb. 10, and the Canadiens defeated the Ottawa Senators 4-3 Saturday night.
Brian Gionta scored his first goal of the season – and his first as the Canadiens captain – only 1:06 into the game after a turnover at the Montreal blue line gave him a breakaway on Brian Elliott. Gionta deked the goalie and beat him with a backhand.
Ottawa got that one back nine minutes later when Milan Michalek pounced on rebound on a shot from Daniel Alfredsson.
The Canadiens dominated the second period, with Ottawa not getting a shot on goal until the 10:20 mark of the period. But Ottawa made it count when Erik Karlsson blasted a shot from the point past Price. Less than a minute later, Michalek scored his second of the game for a 3-1 Ottawa lead.
The Canadiens fought back, though, to tie the game 3-3 before the period was over. Jeff Halpern was credited with the second goal when his pass from behind the net went off the skate of Ottawa defenceman Chris Campoli and slipped behind Elliott.
Andrei Kostitsyn tied the game 3-3 with less than three minutes to play with a nice move after a pass from Tomas Plekanec.
The two players combined to give the Canadiens a 4-3 lead, this time with Plekanec beating Elliott with four minutes to play for his second goal of the season.
Price finished with 16 saves, while Elliott stopped 33 of 37 shots he faced. Robin Lehner stopped three shots he faced at the start of the third period as Elliott missed the first few minutes of the frame as he had a skate repaired.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens power play was blanked again, going 0-for-5 and has scored only one goal all season.

• What It Means: Montreal’s win improves its record to 3-1-1 for seven points in five games and they have won two straight games.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens have a few days off before the New Jersey Devils visit the Bell Centre. Montreal then travels to Ottawa to face the Senators again next Saturday.

1. StevieRay says:

Big win last nite !!!  Beer gone ! another though… now hoping for a Price win at home ..let tonite BE the nite !!!

A hard rain is falling on the east coast . Inside kinda day .. Go Rangers !!! Texas that is !

2. ManApart says:

You’re such a joke. You really can see how unintelligent you are, and I’m not just saying that because I think you’re a moron. Completely biased to the point of pure delusion. The Laffs won the game fair and square. Coming out with excuses is for losers. Oh ya, look who I’m talking to. Homer was stating that the “tiny tots” did not do good last night. Gomez and Gio have been invisible all year and preseason. Nobody was talking about last year. That’s over 12 million right there. That’s your problem, people make valid points and truthful statements. If it is even slightly negative towards the Habs you right away attack them personally. You’re a complete waste of time. Kinda like trying to talk with an Ox.

3. scrowe21 says:

Listening to the Bulldogs game on the radio…is there ever any streams for their games? Avtsin and Palushaj BOTH out with injuries already.. bummer

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

4. Psycho29 says:

Back from a week in Cuba…3 days of tourista…Ay Caramba!!

Had access to TVA and ESPN in Cuba, really sad to see the NHL scores buried at the bottom of the screen on ESPN (just the scores, no details), and no highlights. So much for Gary’s dream of making it big time down South.

Haven’t watched a Hab’s game completely yet, but saw the last half of last night’s game. I liked what I saw. This team looks like it will need to work hard to win, no easy games this season.

I also have noticed that some thinks on this site haven’t changed. People complain big time when the team loses. And still complain when they win. Just not as much!!

Enjoy tonight’s game!!!!

5. mike g says:

Hey dudes….

I got some tickets for the ALS game tomorrow. 45 yard line, regular $200 FOR THE PAIR, AND i’M SELLING th pair for 99.99$.

If anyone’s interested, let men know, send me a msg.

Also got 4 tickets for the Juniors next wednesday. 10$ each if anyone wants.

Have a nice one…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. Sheldon says:

Keep hoping sport. Another championship is just two series away. We used to be able to say the same thing about the Habs. Ah, those were the days!

Not much going on here, guess I’ll go watch and hope someone can beat the Yankees.

I just tried but I only got hit with arrows, HIO Indians.!!

9. CanadienBoy says:

Thornton just got a extension 3 years for 21 mil. not bad if you can get it.

I don’t know anyone on this site that is opinionated Dragonfly.!!

11. Former Jets Fan says:

Tell the survey you live in Montreal if you feel you must do it.  I thought it was kind of long and I spent more time on it than I had expected.  So be forewarned.

12. AndyF says:

That’s a really strange survey, given that most of the questions could easily be figured out by most analytics engines.   Legerweb…  I guess they’re still learning about those “tubes”.  😉

13. secretdragonfly says:

Thanks – guess we’ll have to provide our opinions live and in person at the summit.

14. Danno says:

Makes us feel *sniff* unwanted…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

15. TommyB says:

Yep.  I wanted to take the survey as well.  Apparently they had a “quota” from Ontario and they had already reached it.

16. secretdragonfly says:

Anyone tried to take the Habs Inside/Out survey on the right-hand side?  I got as far as the second question (province of residence) and got this weird message.  Glad to know my collaboration is precious.

We thank you for your precious
    collaboration; it is greatly appreciated.
    we have reached the number of participants your profile.
  17. SeriousFan09 says:

You mean that guy the Habs beat like a rented mule in the playoffs in 02 and 04? Koivu outscoring him despite spending the season battling cancer? Thornton can’t compete when it counts, ever.

Team Canada coddles him, gives him Boyle, Heatley and Marleau to play with and their PP unit was still crap and the Marleau/Heatley line showed the most life when Thornton went off the ice and Toews jumped on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. Da Hema says:

I can’t think of a player in the entire league who fails to produce when it counts more than Joe Thornton. How he ever made Canada’s Olympic team is one of the great mysteries of the universe, right up there with the origins of human consciousness and the existence of dark matter.

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

19. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hey, hey watch yourself guys, you guys are entering the Boone’s “hit list”.

That’s Mike’s dream girl you’re looking at.

20. riazp says:

even since i was a teen…agreed…HOT

21. Say Ash says:

Time for us to extend Josh Gorges for a long, long time. He’s a friggin’ warrior and quite a stud, it turns out…

22. samTHEman says:

fine milf. she walked by me twice at the habs practice facility….bang

23. bertuzzisucks says:

Thorton at 7 million for 90 points is so overated.

I would rather have Gomez at 7.4 million for 12 goals and 50 points.

And dont pull out that intangibles rubbish.

or Hammer at 5.5mil or Spacek at 3.83 mil

thorton is a good deal

Are you going to bark all day little doggy? Or are you going to bite?

… and now overpaid.

25. WindsorHab-10 says:

Always a winner in my book.

26. WindsorHab-10 says:

He’s overrated.

27. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Chantale Machabée is awesome, just thought I would share that with everyone.

28. WindsorHab-10 says:

Sens always bring their A-game to Montreal. We better bring ours.

Jason, you should not have a problem if you use your contact e-mail on your profile here.

30. adam76 says:

A rather senile old lady went to her doctor complaining of draining
    and a feeling of fullness in her ear. After the examination, the
    doctor initiated a conversation that went as follows:
    D: Why madam, I think you have a suppository in your ear. L: ? eh?
    D: Madam – You have a SUPPOSITORY in your EAR! L: ?? EH??
    D: (shouting) -IN YOUR EAR! -A SUPPOSITORY!!! L: Oh, thank
    Goodness – now I know where I put my hearing aid!

31. adam76 says:

Stating facts – nothing more.

32. Bugs says:

We got the low-down on Markov’s ever-shifting return date. Shipping snafus are holding up the works. In-depth report.

Andrei Markov still waiting for parts.

Decadently yours, I recline as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

33. savethepuck says:

34. Bryan says:

Sharks sign Thornton to a 3 year, $21 million contract extension.  Good deal.

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

35. lefreak says:

habsinsideout needs a ticker that countdown the hours and days since the leafs actually won a cup….the problem with this is that they don’t make monitors big enough to hold that much yet:p

36. savethepuck says:

A goaltender’s focus comes from him being confident. He is tracking the puck extremely well and always in the play.

37. savethepuck says:

tonight is the night that the ticker on the Toronto site that’s counting down the time since Carey’s last home win is stopped.

38. lefreak says:

I agree.

They got rid of “the one we shall not mention” and got price a backup that really can not play more than 20 games for this team to have success. You give Carey the keys to the car, you need to give him the ice time of a number one goalie with the heavy burden of being a “supposed” (quoted not because i don’t think he is, he just has to prove it consistently imo) franchise player.

Carey has always shared his ice time when he has been here, to take the next step in his development he needs to play 60 games at least per year. I can say that my confidence level in him is way higher than it was before the seaon started, and he has handled himself perfectly to date. If it keeps up this way, we can push back those tee times a few weeks:)

39. Storm Man says:

Adam is out of suppositorys today.

40. Habsrule1 says:

I’m glad he’s sticking with Price. He’s playing some of the best hockey of his career right now (albeit only 4 games) and I think he needs to stay in there for a while and keep gaining confidence. I love how focused he looks. It’s been a while since I could say that. He never seems to give up on any plays at all.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

I will add this. For Price my major criticism of him was his body language. He just exuded a lack of confidence. Not this year, at least not so far and I hope this trend continues. Price so far has looked aggressive, smart, alert and cat-like in his reflexive action. I knew he had it in him I just thought it would’ve taken a bit longer for him to show these qualities. I loved Halak and was seriously shocked when he got traded. I still think the Habs made the right move. We got a high return for Halak and in essence Price is accepting the challenge. Habs look like they’ll finish in the top 4 in the conference.

Another thing I’d like to mention, and thanks to SF09 for the updates, is that organizationally the Habs are starting to look very deep with the amount of quality prospects in the mill.

I certainly wont take credit, I’ll hand that to Gainey and company, but when I went on my tanking schtick it was all about doing so with the intent of rebuilding. Well I stand corrected. The current brain trust might’ve taken my words to heart and showed that it can be done without being in the draft lottery for consecutive years. It’s harder, it’s more noble, and in the long run I believe it’ll produce a very solid team for the long term a la Detroit and New Jersey.

Gainey cleaned house two summer’s ago with the intent of rebuilding not just the roster but the indentity of the Habs. Or as one of my esteemed colleagues who posts here often has stated, “a heart transplant.”

42. Chips says:

I’m really glad that JM is starting Price. I wouldn’t sit him while he is riding the hot hand. Look what happened last year at this point of the season when he sat him after 2 awesome first games by Price!!!!! Hope he gets that home win tonight. He deserves it big time. GO CAREY!!!

25 in 2011

43. says:

As long as your not breaking any laws and spamming like a loser then you’ll be fine, plus you’ll be helping out your fellow Canadiens fans.

They Call Me Shane

44. Fansincebirth says:

I told my Dad that I would take him to a game at the Bell Centre when he turned 80 (Jan 2011) so I will be looking after the New Year…..

45. lefreak says:

thanks for the replies guys, i just want to make sure that it wouldn’t be spam. Most sites do not allow people to sell things without permission…i’m just covering my bases here.

I’ll post them em up when i know for sure which games i can’t get to.:) They are always in section 208 with the free food and drink. We will do the seat numbers privately for certain obvious reasons.:p

46. adam76 says:

They allow the exchange of illegal sites for game broadcasting – why not scalping?  Just not gambling.

yuor ptsos are btoh a pesalure and a cenlghale to raed

Go for it. I’d be one of the interested parties if you did. I have already bought tickets through this site before with great satisfaction.

49. lefreak says:

Just a honest question here, i don’t want to break any rules. If ever I have tickets that I can’t use, are we allowed to post it up here? It wouldn’t be for tonight, but it has come to my attention that i might not be able to make 1 or 2 of them. When i confirm this, i figured that i might as well offer it to some of the die hards here…I’m not a scalper and someone should enjoy them.

Thanks to anyone that can clear this up for me.

50. showey47 says:

Gaborik is going to be a huge loss for the rangers. Even though the rags had a hard time scoring goals last year gaborik was involved in the highest amount of his teams goals then any player in the league.

51. saskhabfan says:

Yup,we outshot,outchanced,outhit and outplayed the leafs without cammy,markov and hamrlik. A full lineup would have been an easy win. Homerbowen likes to use the “tinytot” as a reason but isn’t smart enough to realize those “tiny tots” like cammy and gio scored 22 playoff goals between them. Just shows how clueless homer is. Detroit has been one of the smallest teams in the league for many,many years. Doesn’t seem to hurt them too much.

52. krob1000 says:

Rangers lost Gaborik, Drury and PRospal yesterday…..Gaborik probably only for a couple of weks, Drury for six and Prospal hasd surgery……those damn Leafs play them twice over that stretch!  The Ragngers will bein super tough to make the playoffs….depth isn;t hteir strong suit….they need Lundqvist to play off the charts and Avery has to put away his pest act for a little while and play hockey ….

53. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know about alot thats been said concerning our team. Its ONLY been 4 games. 4 games without our best player, and the first without our best scorer. We have won 2 and tied 1. Any team playing without their top player, missing the best scorer for 1, and missing a top D for 2 would say that 5 points from your first 4 games in this scenario is not a bad thing. LOTS OF POSITIVES

Price is playing great.

AK is looking good.

Pouliot is trying with everything he has and is unlucky in my opinion so far.

Cammalleri i right where we want him to be 3 points in 3 games, 2 goals.

Pleks is doing well, 3 points in 4 games.

GORGES is doing GREAT.

What we are lacking is production from Gomez and Gio. It’s ok though… Its only been 4 games

Young kids settling and learning, but making mistakes.

Tonight will show what we are to expect of this team. Back to back games, we will see who picks it up and who plays well.

TRY TO REMEMBER… We keep up this pace all season and we would end up with 103 points… WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD ENOUGH FOR 2ND or 3RD LAST SEASON….

I cannot imagine why we shouldn’t be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

54. ZepFan2 says:

4 games. We’ve played 4 (four) games.

Chill out!

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

55. nightmare_49 says:

hb – Can’t wait for your post game post when we get bombed.

56. habsguy says:

did you watch the hab /  leaf game, we we were without 3 of out top players amd still we should have won !!!!!

57. nightmare_49 says:

Ottawa Citizen’s Game Preview:

Ottawa Senators at Montreal Canadiens on Oct. 16, 2010

by James Gordon

THE WILDCARD: Alex Kovalev. He’s been Ottawa’s most disappointing forward, a designation he must be getting used to by now. That said, he is returning to Montreal and is usually motivated at le Centre Bell. Jason Spezza, Mike Fisher, Milan Michalek and Daniel Alfredsson woke up last game and contributed to the win. Now it’s AK27′s turn to stop shooting blanks and do the same.

58. homerbowen says:

Winning in Buffalo was nice but when are our highly paid forwards going to do something (good). Once again, Gomez played at 1/8 his salary and our 3 tiny tots had a total of 5 shots on goal!  Geez AK had that many himself. What gives!!! Too many tiny tots on one team. I watched both Habs and Laff games (pvr) and I hate to say it but we will have trouble with the Laffs this year. And for any Habs police, no I hate the Laffs and have been a Habs fan for many. many years…… just venting.

59. saskhabfan says:

carey price and his 0.925 save percentage ranks his first among goalies having played 4 games or more.

60. nightmare_49 says:

JM Chaumont tweets:

(french version)  ….  Jean-Pierre Dumont parle de son coéquipier à Nashville, Sergei Kostitsyn. …..

61. TomNickle says:

I believe the initial announcement said you have until the 19 minute mark of the third period to vote.

Price stole the point we got in the Tampa game and it goes without saying that he robbed the Penguins of that win.

The best thing about this situation is that he looks like he`s gonna be lights out on the road.  If he plays well at home, we`ll be competing in if not controlling the division race.

62. SlovakHab says:

Love to hear it.

63. WestHab says:

4 games in the books. 4 one goal games and I think it’s fair to say all the games were kept in reach. If not for the goaltending the Habs have been getting they would have lost even that single point afainst TB.

I take it Markov is still out?

and has anyone here voted for the three stars yet? How much time do you have to do it in before they count up the votes?

64. TomNickle says:

Looks like Jacques is trying to keep Price in a rhythm.  Can`t say that I blame him.

Could be trying to get him a you know what too.  He`s coming ridiculously close.

65. joeybarrie says:

I started doing one with the number of days its been since the Toronto Maple Leafs won a playoff game, however it took too much space and my computer didn’t have enough memory to finish the page… SORRY

Funny about Price though, but sad that it comes from Toronto. But then again when you haven’t won a cup in the lifetime of most people involved in the NHL and not seen a playoff game in the NHL career of most of its players not much else will raise your spirits.

Why else do you think we keep letting them win??? Otherwise they will smarten up and move to another city, and then we will have no one to make fun of…(in the official language they don’t understand)

Before anyone calls me a racist, im kidding…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

66. Harani says:

And it’s confirmed: Carey Price starts! Thank you JM!!!

“It must be love!”

67. nightmare_49 says:

H –

68. Laslty, just an evil, evil thing.  It’s also rather humorous: How long has it been since Carey Price won a home game? [Pension Plan Puppets]
  • larisalapointe says:

Agreed. Price is a workhorse and if Marty Brodeur can play what like 70 games a year having 15 years on Price, I’m sure Price will hate ever again to watch from the bench. After all, he “only” faced 22 shots last night. lol

• alestar says:

Price is playing great, Eller is playing great…PK is bringing his infectious spirit to the team.

LOVE IT!

XXIV…and counting

• adam76 says:

Plus, you got to go with the hot hand.  Play till you lose.

Also – this has to be reset, STAT:

• Harani says:

JFChaumont tweets that Auld is taking part in thte optional practice suggesting that Price will be the starter. Adnd I want Price to start.

After today, the Habs have 4 days off until they play New Jersey on Thursday. Price can rest then. Tonight, he plays.

“It must be love!”