Game 49: Ryan saves Ducks in Koivu’s return

Ducks centre Saku Koivu made his return to the Bell Centre on Saturday night for the first time since 2009. Koivu played 13 seasons with the Canadiens and was captain for nine seasons. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Max Pacioretty | Brian Gionta | Carey Price | James Wisniewski

• At a Glance: The Canadiens erased a late two-goal lead for the second time in a month, but unlike the game against the Boston Bruins, the Canadiens lost 4-3 in a shootout to the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday night, marking the return of former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu to Montreal. Bobby Ryan scored the winner, while the Canadiens failed to score on any of their three shots. Ducks defenceman Cam Fowler opened the scoring with a power-play goal 15:07 into the first period. His shot from the point deflected off a Canadiens defenceman in front of Carey Price. The Canadiens got a power-play goal of their own in the second period to tie the game 1-1 with Koivu in the penalty box. Max Pacioretty found an opening between Jonas Hiller’s legs and slid one home from close range 7:55 into the second period. But the Ducks scored twice in the period’s final four minutes to grab a 3-1 lead. Bobby Ryan was credited with a goal off a goalmouth scramble at the 16:26 mark. Then the Ducks got their second power-play goal of the game when Corey Perry scored his 25th goal of the season with 17 seconds left in the period. Koivu earned an assist on Perry’s goal. Mathieu Darche deflected a Yannick Weber point shot with 3:40 to play in the third period to narrow the gap to 3-2. Pacioretty scored his second of the game with 13 seconds to play while the Canadiens were on a power play, with Koivu in the box yet again and Price on the bench for a two-man advantage. Hiller made 37 saves for his 24th win of the season, tying Price for the league lead. Named the second star of the game, Koivu received a nice ovation from the fans left in the Bell centre.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens scored two power-play goals with former captain Koivu watching from the penalty box.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record falls to 27-17-5 for 59 points, dropping two behind the Boston Bruins for top spot in the Northeast Division. The Canadiens are tied on points with the New York Rangers, but sit in sixth place because they hold a game in hand. The Canadiens earned six of a possible eight points this week while playing two sets of back-to-back games.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday before having nearly a week off during the NHL All-Star break before taking on the Washington Capitals on Feb. 1.

1. fbkj says:

“Darche’s brother played in the NFL” the only thing this says is that the darche’s have good genetics

2. mrhabby says:

you only need about 20k fans to break even for a CFL game and thats what usually the argos draw. bottom line is the economics and so many factors are against NFL expansion into canada ..the money required is crazy its way to complicated not to mention the politics in both countries.

3. fbkj says:

cool an NFL team at molson stadium

4. habs365 says:

weiss is a 20 goal scorer at best..could be a 2nd or 3rd liner if it’s true I wouldn’t sell the farm for him.

5. fbkj says:

toronto makes complete sense, they have the money, the population, the stadium… the only thing they dont have is viable tail gating space around the stadium though…

6. Willy the bum says:

Oh man, I’m gonna cry for this. :)

7. fbkj says:

baseball also died here because of the need for a new ballpark and um… fan disenfranchisement… after the post lockout purge and being dicked around by loria and selig, fans here were done…

8. Storm Man says:

Cough…. Wow Tom this must be some kind of joke I hope. You think the NFL would work in Montreal and not Toronto???. Where would the team play in Boone’s back yard? C’mon man this was a silly post by you.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

9. fbkj says:

where would an NFL team play in montreal? wed need a new stadium… we just finished paying for the old one (and no the big O is not an option for any team to have success in this city)

10. mrhabby says:

not so sure about that one…TO has alot more money than Montreal and the golden horseshoe has 6m people to draw from. its a crazy issue silly issue anyway…never happen regardless of the city.

11. TPlow says:

Man, I wish Saku was still on the team. Dang it, the man’s a Hab. Period. Easily my favourite player of the past 15 years.

12. TomNickle says:

I have to admit that I was impressed with Engqvist, nothing flashy but no glaring errors and even flashes of his skill here and there.

White on the other hand looked very lost at times, hopefully it’s just rust from his early season injury.  He did play a physical game but wasn’t even close to being in sync with Engqvist and Moen and was caught flat footed when he wasn’t forechecking.

13. TPlow says:

I think it’ll be good for our young players to see the reaction Saku gets – maybe they’ll understand a bit more about how special it is to have a legacy with the Montreal Canadiens.

14. TomNickle says:

Baseball died in Montreal when the sport’s popularity was incredibly lesser esteemed markets.  The NFL has the best sports product in the World and shouldn’t be apprehensive about taking advantage of large markets with money to burn.

15. Everlasting1 says:

Cbc.ca is live feeding both games.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. avatar_58 says:

If they weren’t going to use Boyd and Lapierre they should have called White up after his preseason. He would have been on fire and ready to go. Instead he went down and seemed to lose a step. Even after his injury he hasn’t ramped it up. It showed on the ice last night too, making silly mistakes, missing plays and generally being “not white”.

That’s ok though, I’m sure he’ll catch his stride soon enough. Maybe tonight at the Bell?

17. WestHab says:

The baseball experience may deter the NFL from franchising in Montreal, do you think?

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

18. samTHEman says:

I love the enthusiasm and energy of having our young kids in the line up on our bottom 2 lines with Eller, White, Engqvist and Desharnais. I rather see them log minutes and make mistakes, but gain experience, rather than signing random UFA’s every year. No offense to Metropolit or Halpern who have played major roles with the team! And I appreciate their contribution, but seeing young kids develop, ala Plekanec, is so priceless!!

19. ProHabs says:

LOL. Wow, would that ever be bad luck for Komo. I am sure he would catch the Boston flu everytime the Bruins played the Leafs.

20. TomNickle says:

An NFL team in Montreal would absolutely work.  In Toronto, not so much.

21. Psycho29 says:

Just wait till he finds out that was Milan Lucic’s sister!!!

22. SuperYogurt says:

I think everyone had double-digit ice-time, even Engqvist and White, who are playing their first NHL games this season.

23. SuperYogurt says:

Actually, just checked the full schedule on CBC, and they’re showing the Habs in Quebec, Alberta, and BC.

Washington @ Toronto (Live Full Network less Quebec/Alberta/BC); Anaheim @ Montreal – (Quebec, Alberta, BC only) (HD where available)”

24. adam76 says:

Love the TMZ article:

the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse”

Hey – at least Komisarek can say he won a fight now.

25. adam76 says:

It makes me sick they allowed this punk behind the bench to “coach” a few games.  Gross.

26. ProHabs says:

Plus MaxPac made the key play of yesterdays game by high sticking Neil and getting him out of the game. You just knew that Niel was about to do something stupid to one of the Habs so by MaxPac highsticking him, Niel didn’t have a chance.

27. avatar_58 says:

Nads of steel to play so quickly, and along the boards at that.

Question though – was I the only one concerned that Martin played Plek, Pacioretty, Gionta and Gomez so late knowing it was a blowout? Subban even?

I mean I would have rather seen more of Engqvist, White and Eller  – let the kids practice, no need to have key players out there. What if one was injured?

28. secretdragonfly says:

Boston leading Colorado in the first 2-1; O’Byrne just took his second consecutive penalty of the game, the first having resulted in Boston taking the lead.

29. adam76 says:

Toronto is the national game (what a joke).

30. geo_habsgo says:

Yeah that is a bit concerning to me too but only since I know what happened to Markov in the final minutes of the Carolina blowout in October. So late in the game when you’ve ran up the score tensions get pretty high and the opposing team becomes more liable to make a stupid play and injure a key player. Not saying Staal did that to Markov but the danger is still there. I guess we can chalk up the decision to Martin simply not yet trusting the new players enough to up their ice time regardless of the situation?

31. habsgod says:

thanks psycho29,unfortunately at the hospital on the t.v. there they only have cbc regina…….so  we’ll get the laffs game! if i was home and my dad was home our our bell dish we’d get the habs game in english on the cbc feeds that they have! oh wel i guess i’ll just sit and visit my dadand talk about the habs and keep him updated on how they are doing!

32. karpen33 says:

In Nfld CBC is showing Laffs and Caps.

33. athanor says:

Actually, it depends on what your local affiliate carries. Rogers shows CBRT (Calgary) and CBUT (B.C.) transmitting Habs game, so if local CBC uses their feed, you’re in luck. I hope so.

34. Psycho29 says:

I just noticed you’re in Regina?

CBC Calgary & Edmonton is carrying the Habs, and CBC Regina has the Leafs. (If the Bell menu page is correct of course)

35. geo_habsgo says:

In light of recent events MaxPac is slowly emerging as a favourite of mine. He has brought a lot of grit to his line and I would argue that he has elevated the game of Gomez since he now has a competent top six player in MaxPac to utilize his playmaking abilities. Probably the shrewdest move of the season besides signing the Wiz was the callup of MaxPac. I think if he were to miss too many games it would definitely hurt this team.

36. avatar_58 says:

There are times I hate Ontario and this is one of them

37. Psycho29 says:

According to Expressvu, Habs are on CBC locally in Montreal , and the CBC in Ottawa and Toronto are carrying the Leafs game..

All the best to your Dad for a speedy recovery!

38. habsgod says:

can anyone of my fellow habs fans tell if the game is on cbc tonight? the reason why i ask is because i’ll be at the hospital visiting my dad(who had a heart attack) on the 7th of january,and just went through a 5 by-pass surgery on wednesday and we want to watch the game from there(he’s a habs fan too) a big one since the 50’s ,being a habs fan is a family tradition we are born habs fans,but at the hospital here in regina in the visitor’s lounge the t.v. only has 3 channels and 1 of them is cbc so i hope they have it on! because if not i won’t watch the laffs or anybody else!

39. ZepFan2 says:

I have Bell and it has the Ducks/Habs game listed.

40. savethepuck says:

Avs Bruins just started. Go Avs Go!  An Avs win gives Habs a chance to retake third place tonight.

41. jennifer1984 says:

unfortunately CBC is broadcasting the Laffs tonight.

42. savethepuck says:

I am in NB and my guide for Rogers Cable shows habs Ducks on CBRT and CBUT, unless you are with Bell

43. novahab says:

I hope the Caps slam the Leafs tonight 12-0 just to get to the CBC for shoving this game down our throats. Thank god for RDS to allow us in the maritimes to watch a real NHL team not a AHL want to be.

44. Corporate says:

Yeah they should show it. They actually show the national anthem, which they rarely do on CBC when it is a habs game. Unless of course we ply the laffs.

45. kirkiswork says:

Apparently some kids have made a facebook page urging everyone to vote Saku first star tonight no matter what happens.

Good job kids.

46. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I think Saku should get a long appropriate ovation when he first comes out.

Then…

Boo him mercilessly everytime he touches the puck. Get the festivities aside, then crush the opposition.

47. samTHEman says:

Will RDS show Koivu stepping on the ice for the 1st time? I rarely get to watch games from the very beginning so excuse my dumb question lol

48. Habhopeful says:

Can anyone tell me what the Metro canadiens practice entails?

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

49. novahab says:

I am sure the fans will give the standing O for Koivu but when you are done stand back up and chant we want Roy.

50. PeterStone says:

looking forward to tonight.  Koivu was the, or one of the, best Habs player in the lost decade. If we could only get him the support he needed.

On a totally unrelated topic … Komisarek has finally found someone he can take.

Toronto Maple Leafs all-star Mike Komisarek is on thin ice with the LAPD — after the hockey player allegedly punched a woman in the face at an L.A. nightclub earlier this month … TMZ has learned

This is the best part of the article. ( they obviously never saw him play )

Law enforcement sources tell us … the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse was named in a police report filed by a woman who claims the whole thing went down after Komisarek decided to lift her up in the air at a Hollywood nightclub.

51. savethepuck says:

Avs up 1-0, 5 minutes in

52. SuperYogurt says:

According to their website, CBC will be airing the Montreal/Anaheim game tonight. But my guess is that they will only air it in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces. Ontario and the rest of Canada usually get the Leafs.

All the best.

53. habsgod says:

that sucks………that cbc is showing the laffs game…..well i guess my dad and i will just sit and visit and talk about the habs and what we think they are going to do(at the trade deadline) and talk about how well subban is doing !

54. observer says:

Toronto mayor wants NFL team! YEAH RIGHT!

The annual completely worthless question to the NFL Commissioner coming again on the Friday Commissioner’s press conference just before the Super Bowl game.

Montreal and Edmonton are both better football cities than Toronto. Both outdraw and will always outdraw Toronto for football.

10 of the 11 biggest Canadian Football League attendences ever were in Montreal including the highest 9. All of the 24 most attended CFL games were held either in Montreal or Edmonton.

55. Frank2468 says:

Of all the players that have been traded and then came back to applause and then the boos well thats ok, it is what it is.  But boo Saku after all he has been through with the Habs and all he has done for the Habs and the city of Montreal would be a totally classes thing to do.  If you view the yutube video of him his heart is still in Montreal. To this day I have never seen a player for the Habs that came back for a game and press conference actually be close to tears.  If we all remember it was BG that decided not to resign him and yes Saku agreed to it but what would you want him to say after BG made his decision.

So I really hope the fans at the bell center tonight show class and cheer Saku and cheer him when he touches the puck and if he should score a goal cheer even louder for him.  This man loves the city of Montreal and the Habs and according to Saku it feels like he is coming home tonight.  So if there are any fans going to the game tonight and should come on to HabsInside/Out before for going to the game show some class as I know you will.

56. habs365 says:

Hope you find the Habs game somewhere on tv..good luck to your dad and a speedy recovery.

57. habs365 says:

jennifer don’t give us bad news like that

58. observer says:

Remember – it was Montreal NOT Toronto who the MLB first expanded to. I know Toronto has grown since then. But also just after that Gerry Snyder who was with Drapeau they were trying to land a NFL franchise for Montreal. Toronto was never in any discussion then. Difference between NFL and MLB is night and day just with the salary cap issue. That’s why Expos folded. Toronto does not draw well anymore.

But for football, Quebec produces more pro football players in both leagues NFL or CFL than any other province in Canada. That Laval team and now U of Montreal and Sherbrooke show clearly the growing popularity of football in Quebec. Als have been selling out for years, Laval one of best drawing college teams in Canada. I lived in Toronto a long time too and I really think now Montreal is a way better football city than Toronto even if they are a bigger market.

PS- Darche’s brother played in the NFL.

59. Storm Man says:

Plans are in the works to do what Dallas did for a new stadium.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

60. Say Ash says:

Whoa, maybe stick to talking about hockey, Tom. Not your finest post. Toronto is a considerably stronger sports market than Montreal. The Leafs selling out is indication alone.

61. fbkj says:

i see now that you are trying to achieve reaction, well played, my avatar approves

62. Storm Man says:

Plans for a NFL stadium in Toronto.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Isles claim Nabokov. HA HA. Well done Garth Snow.

Nabokov has stated he will not report to the Islanders.

Not sure what his next option will be.

Things must have really been bad in the KHL for this guy to turn his back on a 24M contract.

65. fbkj says:

that was me and i couldnt be happier to have been wrong

66. Chuck says:

As TSN lays it out, his only option (with the NHL, at least) is to not play, since he has a no movement clause and can’t be traded by the Isles if he doesn’t report.

The process and development of getting to the cup is half the fun Sam.

68. habs001 says:

lately leaf vs capital games have been close with leafs winning a few of them…it is better for the habs if the leafs

69. Storm Man says:

I hope to see both Toronto and LA land a team, Magic Johnson is one of the partners trying to bring the NFL back to LA so I see it happening and that would be good for Toronto if that happens.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

70. habsfan_61 says:

happy bday mr.lach and many more.ideal situation for tonite would be a saku goal and a habs win