Game 49: Ryan saves Ducks in Koivu’s return

Ducks centre Saku Koivu made his return to the Bell Centre on Saturday night for the first time since 2009. Koivu played 13 seasons with the Canadiens and was captain for nine seasons. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Max Pacioretty | Brian Gionta | Carey Price | James Wisniewski

• At a Glance: The Canadiens erased a late two-goal lead for the second time in a month, but unlike the game against the Boston Bruins, the Canadiens lost 4-3 in a shootout to the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday night, marking the return of former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu to Montreal. Bobby Ryan scored the winner, while the Canadiens failed to score on any of their three shots. Ducks defenceman Cam Fowler opened the scoring with a power-play goal 15:07 into the first period. His shot from the point deflected off a Canadiens defenceman in front of Carey Price. The Canadiens got a power-play goal of their own in the second period to tie the game 1-1 with Koivu in the penalty box. Max Pacioretty found an opening between Jonas Hiller’s legs and slid one home from close range 7:55 into the second period. But the Ducks scored twice in the period’s final four minutes to grab a 3-1 lead. Bobby Ryan was credited with a goal off a goalmouth scramble at the 16:26 mark. Then the Ducks got their second power-play goal of the game when Corey Perry scored his 25th goal of the season with 17 seconds left in the period. Koivu earned an assist on Perry’s goal. Mathieu Darche deflected a Yannick Weber point shot with 3:40 to play in the third period to narrow the gap to 3-2. Pacioretty scored his second of the game with 13 seconds to play while the Canadiens were on a power play, with Koivu in the box yet again and Price on the bench for a two-man advantage. Hiller made 37 saves for his 24th win of the season, tying Price for the league lead. Named the second star of the game, Koivu received a nice ovation from the fans left in the Bell centre.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens scored two power-play goals with former captain Koivu watching from the penalty box.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record falls to 27-17-5 for 59 points, dropping two behind the Boston Bruins for top spot in the Northeast Division. The Canadiens are tied on points with the New York Rangers, but sit in sixth place because they hold a game in hand. The Canadiens earned six of a possible eight points this week while playing two sets of back-to-back games.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday before having nearly a week off during the NHL All-Star break before taking on the Washington Capitals on Feb. 1.

1. TomNickle says:

I have to admit that I was impressed with Engqvist, nothing flashy but no glaring errors and even flashes of his skill here and there.

White on the other hand looked very lost at times, hopefully it’s just rust from his early season injury.  He did play a physical game but wasn’t even close to being in sync with Engqvist and Moen and was caught flat footed when he wasn’t forechecking.

2. TPlow says:

I think it’ll be good for our young players to see the reaction Saku gets – maybe they’ll understand a bit more about how special it is to have a legacy with the Montreal Canadiens.

3. TomNickle says:

Baseball died in Montreal when the sport’s popularity was incredibly lesser esteemed markets.  The NFL has the best sports product in the World and shouldn’t be apprehensive about taking advantage of large markets with money to burn.

4. Everlasting1 says:

Cbc.ca is live feeding both games.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

5. avatar_58 says:

If they weren’t going to use Boyd and Lapierre they should have called White up after his preseason. He would have been on fire and ready to go. Instead he went down and seemed to lose a step. Even after his injury he hasn’t ramped it up. It showed on the ice last night too, making silly mistakes, missing plays and generally being “not white”.

That’s ok though, I’m sure he’ll catch his stride soon enough. Maybe tonight at the Bell?

6. PeterStone says:

looking forward to tonight.  Koivu was the, or one of the, best Habs player in the lost decade. If we could only get him the support he needed.

On a totally unrelated topic … Komisarek has finally found someone he can take.

Toronto Maple Leafs all-star Mike Komisarek is on thin ice with the LAPD — after the hockey player allegedly punched a woman in the face at an L.A. nightclub earlier this month … TMZ has learned

This is the best part of the article. ( they obviously never saw him play )

Law enforcement sources tell us … the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse was named in a police report filed by a woman who claims the whole thing went down after Komisarek decided to lift her up in the air at a Hollywood nightclub.

7. WestHab says:

The baseball experience may deter the NFL from franchising in Montreal, do you think?

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

8. samTHEman says:

I love the enthusiasm and energy of having our young kids in the line up on our bottom 2 lines with Eller, White, Engqvist and Desharnais. I rather see them log minutes and make mistakes, but gain experience, rather than signing random UFA’s every year. No offense to Metropolit or Halpern who have played major roles with the team! And I appreciate their contribution, but seeing young kids develop, ala Plekanec, is so priceless!!

9. ProHabs says:

LOL. Wow, would that ever be bad luck for Komo. I am sure he would catch the Boston flu everytime the Bruins played the Leafs.

10. TomNickle says:

An NFL team in Montreal would absolutely work.  In Toronto, not so much.

11. Psycho29 says:

Just wait till he finds out that was Milan Lucic’s sister!!!

12. Chuck says:

As TSN lays it out, his only option (with the NHL, at least) is to not play, since he has a no movement clause and can’t be traded by the Isles if he doesn’t report.

13. SuperYogurt says:

I think everyone had double-digit ice-time, even Engqvist and White, who are playing their first NHL games this season.

14. SuperYogurt says:

Actually, just checked the full schedule on CBC, and they’re showing the Habs in Quebec, Alberta, and BC.

Washington @ Toronto (Live Full Network less Quebec/Alberta/BC); Anaheim @ Montreal – (Quebec, Alberta, BC only) (HD where available)”

15. adam76 says:

Love the TMZ article:

the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse”

Hey – at least Komisarek can say he won a fight now.

16. adam76 says:

It makes me sick they allowed this punk behind the bench to “coach” a few games.  Gross.

17. ProHabs says:

Plus MaxPac made the key play of yesterdays game by high sticking Neil and getting him out of the game. You just knew that Niel was about to do something stupid to one of the Habs so by MaxPac highsticking him, Niel didn’t have a chance.

18. avatar_58 says:

Nads of steel to play so quickly, and along the boards at that.

Question though – was I the only one concerned that Martin played Plek, Pacioretty, Gionta and Gomez so late knowing it was a blowout? Subban even?

I mean I would have rather seen more of Engqvist, White and Eller  – let the kids practice, no need to have key players out there. What if one was injured?

19. secretdragonfly says:

Boston leading Colorado in the first 2-1; O’Byrne just took his second consecutive penalty of the game, the first having resulted in Boston taking the lead.

20. adam76 says:

Toronto is the national game (what a joke).

21. geo_habsgo says:

Yeah that is a bit concerning to me too but only since I know what happened to Markov in the final minutes of the Carolina blowout in October. So late in the game when you’ve ran up the score tensions get pretty high and the opposing team becomes more liable to make a stupid play and injure a key player. Not saying Staal did that to Markov but the danger is still there. I guess we can chalk up the decision to Martin simply not yet trusting the new players enough to up their ice time regardless of the situation?

22. habsgod says:

thanks psycho29,unfortunately at the hospital on the t.v. there they only have cbc regina…….so  we’ll get the laffs game! if i was home and my dad was home our our bell dish we’d get the habs game in english on the cbc feeds that they have! oh wel i guess i’ll just sit and visit my dadand talk about the habs and keep him updated on how they are doing!

23. karpen33 says:

In Nfld CBC is showing Laffs and Caps.

24. athanor says:

Actually, it depends on what your local affiliate carries. Rogers shows CBRT (Calgary) and CBUT (B.C.) transmitting Habs game, so if local CBC uses their feed, you’re in luck. I hope so.

25. Psycho29 says:

I just noticed you’re in Regina?

CBC Calgary & Edmonton is carrying the Habs, and CBC Regina has the Leafs. (If the Bell menu page is correct of course)

26. geo_habsgo says:

In light of recent events MaxPac is slowly emerging as a favourite of mine. He has brought a lot of grit to his line and I would argue that he has elevated the game of Gomez since he now has a competent top six player in MaxPac to utilize his playmaking abilities. Probably the shrewdest move of the season besides signing the Wiz was the callup of MaxPac. I think if he were to miss too many games it would definitely hurt this team.

27. avatar_58 says:

There are times I hate Ontario and this is one of them

28. observer says:

Remember – it was Montreal NOT Toronto who the MLB first expanded to. I know Toronto has grown since then. But also just after that Gerry Snyder who was with Drapeau they were trying to land a NFL franchise for Montreal. Toronto was never in any discussion then. Difference between NFL and MLB is night and day just with the salary cap issue. That’s why Expos folded. Toronto does not draw well anymore.

But for football, Quebec produces more pro football players in both leagues NFL or CFL than any other province in Canada. That Laval team and now U of Montreal and Sherbrooke show clearly the growing popularity of football in Quebec. Als have been selling out for years, Laval one of best drawing college teams in Canada. I lived in Toronto a long time too and I really think now Montreal is a way better football city than Toronto even if they are a bigger market.

PS- Darche’s brother played in the NFL.

29. Psycho29 says:

According to Expressvu, Habs are on CBC locally in Montreal , and the CBC in Ottawa and Toronto are carrying the Leafs game..

All the best to your Dad for a speedy recovery!

30. habsfan_61 says:

happy bday mr.lach and many more.ideal situation for tonite would be a saku goal and a habs win

31. habsgod says:

can anyone of my fellow habs fans tell if the game is on cbc tonight? the reason why i ask is because i’ll be at the hospital visiting my dad(who had a heart attack) on the 7th of january,and just went through a 5 by-pass surgery on wednesday and we want to watch the game from there(he’s a habs fan too) a big one since the 50’s ,being a habs fan is a family tradition we are born habs fans,but at the hospital here in regina in the visitor’s lounge the t.v. only has 3 channels and 1 of them is cbc so i hope they have it on! because if not i won’t watch the laffs or anybody else!

32. ZepFan2 says:

I have Bell and it has the Ducks/Habs game listed.

33. savethepuck says:

Avs Bruins just started. Go Avs Go!  An Avs win gives Habs a chance to retake third place tonight.

34. jennifer1984 says:

unfortunately CBC is broadcasting the Laffs tonight.

The process and development of getting to the cup is half the fun Sam.

36. savethepuck says:

I am in NB and my guide for Rogers Cable shows habs Ducks on CBRT and CBUT, unless you are with Bell

37. novahab says:

I hope the Caps slam the Leafs tonight 12-0 just to get to the CBC for shoving this game down our throats. Thank god for RDS to allow us in the maritimes to watch a real NHL team not a AHL want to be.

38. Corporate says:

Yeah they should show it. They actually show the national anthem, which they rarely do on CBC when it is a habs game. Unless of course we ply the laffs.

39. kirkiswork says:

Apparently some kids have made a facebook page urging everyone to vote Saku first star tonight no matter what happens.

Good job kids.

40. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I think Saku should get a long appropriate ovation when he first comes out.

Then…

Boo him mercilessly everytime he touches the puck. Get the festivities aside, then crush the opposition.

41. habs001 says:

lately leaf vs capital games have been close with leafs winning a few of them…it is better for the habs if the leafs

42. savethepuck says:

Avs up 1-0, 5 minutes in

43. SuperYogurt says:

According to their website, CBC will be airing the Montreal/Anaheim game tonight. But my guess is that they will only air it in Quebec and the Atlantic provinces. Ontario and the rest of Canada usually get the Leafs.

All the best.

44. samTHEman says:

Will RDS show Koivu stepping on the ice for the 1st time? I rarely get to watch games from the very beginning so excuse my dumb question lol

45. habsgod says:

that sucks………that cbc is showing the laffs game…..well i guess my dad and i will just sit and visit and talk about the habs and what we think they are going to do(at the trade deadline) and talk about how well subban is doing !

46. Storm Man says:

Plans are in the works to do what Dallas did for a new stadium.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

47. observer says:

Toronto mayor wants NFL team! YEAH RIGHT!

The annual completely worthless question to the NFL Commissioner coming again on the Friday Commissioner’s press conference just before the Super Bowl game.

Montreal and Edmonton are both better football cities than Toronto. Both outdraw and will always outdraw Toronto for football.

10 of the 11 biggest Canadian Football League attendences ever were in Montreal including the highest 9. All of the 24 most attended CFL games were held either in Montreal or Edmonton.

48. Say Ash says:

Whoa, maybe stick to talking about hockey, Tom. Not your finest post. Toronto is a considerably stronger sports market than Montreal. The Leafs selling out is indication alone.

49. Frank2468 says:

Of all the players that have been traded and then came back to applause and then the boos well thats ok, it is what it is.  But boo Saku after all he has been through with the Habs and all he has done for the Habs and the city of Montreal would be a totally classes thing to do.  If you view the yutube video of him his heart is still in Montreal. To this day I have never seen a player for the Habs that came back for a game and press conference actually be close to tears.  If we all remember it was BG that decided not to resign him and yes Saku agreed to it but what would you want him to say after BG made his decision.

So I really hope the fans at the bell center tonight show class and cheer Saku and cheer him when he touches the puck and if he should score a goal cheer even louder for him.  This man loves the city of Montreal and the Habs and according to Saku it feels like he is coming home tonight.  So if there are any fans going to the game tonight and should come on to HabsInside/Out before for going to the game show some class as I know you will.

50. habs365 says:

Hope you find the Habs game somewhere on tv..good luck to your dad and a speedy recovery.

51. habs365 says:

jennifer don’t give us bad news like that

52. Storm Man says:

I hope to see both Toronto and LA land a team, Magic Johnson is one of the partners trying to bring the NFL back to LA so I see it happening and that would be good for Toronto if that happens.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

53. fbkj says:

i see now that you are trying to achieve reaction, well played, my avatar approves

54. Storm Man says:

Plans for a NFL stadium in Toronto.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Isles claim Nabokov. HA HA. Well done Garth Snow.

Nabokov has stated he will not report to the Islanders.

Not sure what his next option will be.

Things must have really been bad in the KHL for this guy to turn his back on a 24M contract.

57. zak says:

getting it in AB thank the hockey gods

58. showey47 says:

This whole waiver claiming garbage needs to be addressed immediately. Nabokov,just like svatos and wellwood negotiated contracts with the wings and blues respectively in order to play for those specific organizations. Not to end up somewhere else. I don’t blame nabokov for not wanting to report to the islanders.

59. Rainrocket16 says:

If Anaheim scores on us tonight I hope it is Saku that does it!!

Bruins are really really really pissing me off!!!

60. Habhopeful says:

Can anyone tell me what the Metro canadiens practice entails?

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

61. fbkj says:

brutal cbc’s not playing it… nothing better than watching your hockey game on a cold, canadian, january night snuggled up in front of your… laptop :/ hopefully some folks have htpc’s in their rigs…

62. otter649 says:

Go to cbc.ca to get the Montreal game online…….

63. Psycho29 says:

Unconfirmed report that the Leafs will be showing a video tribute to former goaltender Jiri Chra at the same time as the Saku tribute….

64. Duracell3 says:

He scored 28 last year I think. I’d take him over Gomez, but then the Panthers would too. Regardless, we shouldn’t give Eklund rumors any discussion whatsoever

65. Mad Habber says:

I was just looking at the dish guide to see which game was the national broadcast, and it looks like Washington VS Laughs is on most of the channels. I don’t expect much out of CBC…I hope the laughs put on another performance like the one against the Rangers.

66. novahab says:

I am sure the fans will give the standing O for Koivu but when you are done stand back up and chant we want Roy.

67. Duracell3 says:

Correct, just CBC and RDS, and probably the Ducks channel for those in the states.

68. fbkj says:

this is true, im just saying that toronto is a larger market than like what… 25 of the current nfl cities, numbers just tell me the city can do it, being said building a stadium without a garantee is certainly non starter i guess… and i would laugh at LA getting a football team… AGAIN! lol

TSN is not broadcasting the game.! are they?  CBC will only show the Toronto crap anyway.!

70. city center says:

Classless, especially given you’re talking about Koivu.  Booing players just because they used to wear the CH is pretty dumb in any event.

71. tricolore says:

Change the channel, watch RDS, there’s more class there than in TO from CBC employees. I thank them for the feed, but we all know the CBC HD quality sucks vs what is transmitted via RDS….

Well said about Habs fans at the rink tonight…they respect and admire the class of a player like Saku…because they are class themselves…..

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

72. Propwash says:

Good on the fans to vote Koivu for a star.

73. Rainrocket16 says:

I would love to see # 11 hanging in the rafters in a years to come!

74. Rainrocket16 says:

It is never cool to lose a game, but that was a great loss tonight! Max Pac is finally what we have been lacking for years, a big forward who gets in front of the net! We need to work on our PP, especially the point men, shot timing is not quite on. DD is playing well he has great potential.

I was kinda hoping Mad Max beyond the Bellerdome was gonna be the first shooter in SO! Hiller was a beast no doubt!! Great game!!

Friggin Flyers are next…oh boy!!

75. HabFanSince72 says:

What a joke!

76. ants says:

So glad I was at this game toight.  Montreal fans showed Saku what we really are like.  He deserved the ovation and the fans needed to say a proper goodbye.  We miss you Saku and we wish you were still here wearing number 11.  No offense Gomez, but Saku is our captain, our heart and soul, and also less expensive….  As you saw tonight, he brings out the best in us.

77. fbkj says:

closure it was… well be seeing more of him when he retires

78. PeterD says:

Sorry…I can’t agree with your second sentence in your post…IMO “they” have NOT being trying to get players like Perry and Ryn or Getzlaf.  The way you get players like those 3 is to DRAFT them when you get a chance.   When Habs Mgmt. had a chance to add size and skill up fornt they added Gomez, Cammi and Gionta – all sub-6 foot.  Those three Duck forwards are all well over 6′ and over 200 pounds each.  It is about time that for several years to come we draft only players well over 6′ to bring our size up to NHL standards.  trading for skilled big players is very costly and so will be free agent signings.  My hope for this season though is for the Habs to still add at least one large skilled UFA to the top 6 forwards for the final drive and play-offs…if we don’t Philly will kill us again.

79. Trenton_Romulox says:

Well, it might not seem like much right now, but that’s a good point they just fought for.

80. Da Hema says:

Good God fbkj! What kind of avatar is that? It looks like something the psychopath xtrahabsfan would use.

81. The Cat says:

That may be doable but you might have to give them a draft pick with that, Staal is 6’4 and much younger than Cammalleri.

82. tricolore says:

Why can’t the Habs beat teams like Anaheim? See 2010 playoffs, 3rd round vs Philadelphia for answers.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

83. tricolore says:

Good point. LOL.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

84. smiler2729 says:

That feels like a win… The shootout is a coin flip, way too gimmicky for me to settle a hockey game, more 4 on 4 would be great! But Bettman is a f***ing idiot.

Like your avatar, Maine – The Greatest Place on Earth

Hahaha. Tom landed a right handed bomb on Bieska.

86. bandaide says:

Can shoot but PK missed the net alot tonite Gionta too had a few real good chances besides Hillers wicked glove you’d think in SO AK goes to blocker.

87. fbkj says:

best loss ever, retiring my koivu jersey now, moi, veserrocco, thats finnish for hello chickenpocks, the only words i know in that language, dont ask, i feel fortunate to have been there

88. tricolore says:

OK, I’m no expert nor former player but is Benoit Brunet serious tonight?

‘There’s a missing ingredient from the Habs tonight.’ …….er…uh…a missing ingredient?

How about 3?

Your best D-man, and possibly player: Markov

Your most lethal scorer: Cammi

You hardest working player, ‘every night': Halpern

Not to mention Gorges……

Go Montreal Bulldogs….

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

89. olematelot says:

Let’s look at the big picture, over the last 11 games the PP is 12 for 39 a 30.7% success rate,  that’s pretty good I’d say

90. HabFanSince72 says:

Kinda feel sorry for Lappy. I was never a fan when he was here, but does he really deserve to be booed? It’s not his fault he sucks.

91. adam76 says:

How does your foot taste?

92. J.J. of Turku says:

I’d change the channel if I only could. But here in Finland we have to choose between ESPN and news papers :)

93. tricolore says:

Saku 3 penalties tonight? Habs score on 2 of them? Weird. That’s the hardest fought point the Habs have earned tonight. I am very surprised and pleasantly so. Well done Montreal. Let’s go get the 2nd point!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

94. observer says:

when you dont show up the first 2 periods makes it difficult!

95. tricolore says:

Not as good as your chicken character, waiting only at the end to make a statement on a prediction. LOL.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

96. JohnBellyful says:

That’s a straight line, right? I’ll give it a pass. Would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

97. HabFanSince72 says:

I think he meant the Habs on the ice were missing a little smething, at least until the 3rd.

98. dre1744 says:

I  think Subban  showed  alittle too much emotion on that third  goal  by jumping up and down,  I wonder if coach JM  will have a talk with him again!!!!!!

On a serious  note  Great comeback in the third   to tie things up  too  bad  PLecky  couldn’t  cash in on either of his breaks aways in the OT.

All I have to say is that Hiller kid has a hell of a glove hand.

99. StevieRay says:

The bomb finally won one @!!

100. habsfreak13 says:

does anyone know if saku was supposed to be the ducks third shooter?

101. bandaide says:

awesome comeback nice to see Koivu get the second star too he did a heck of alot for the kids and community Go Habs Go…….. time for the Philthy Phils

102. novahab says:

Well there are 66 points left , they have 59 so they need 35 point to get to 94 and the playoffs. This team is play very well with out Cammy and the powerplay is so much better. I said ealier that JM needed to use WIZ and Pk togther and they are the difference. Teams are afraid of those two back there and are not rushing at the D. This is giving them time to set up and they both can shoot. Great job PG but how about offering Cammy to the Pens for Staal. Crosby has been wanting a sniper. Staal down the middle wiith the way Patches is playing and the PP this team could be a contender.

103. HabFanSince72 says:

The problem with offering Cammy for Staal is they will either laugh or hang up the phone.

104. J.J. of Turku says:

You people are amazing! Really classy act that standing ovation. That made me a very proud habsfan.

I think there was two reasons why that clown Cherry didn’t say a word about this game.
    1. In Cherry’s eyes Saku is just another piece of Eurotrash
    2. It’s a Habs-game

105. habs365 says:

what a great reception for saku from the Habs fans..that was classy and respectful best fans in the world

credit to the Habs for not giving up after having played last night and a real gutsy performance in the third period to tie it up and come away with a point.. great job guys.

106. J.J. of Turku says:

Sorry, doublepost

107. novahab says:

I don’t think so the Pens have the best two centers in hockey but they really have not had a winger for Crosby. Your not getting a sniper for nothing . Cammy may not be having the best year but he is a proven scorer. Cammy on Crosby wing could score 50 or more goals. Staal is a third line center in Pittsburgh and Cammy is a number one winger in Montreal don’t think anyone would laugh at this. This is a good trade for both teams and Staal had some serious injuries too.

108. tricolore says:

The Habs don’t have an answer for players like Ryan and Perry. It’s what they’ve been trying to get for the past several seasons. You see how easy Perry handles HamrHead in front of the net? Like he wasn’t there….LOL.

I know the Hab’s legs are tired tonight after playing last night. I’m beginning to admire Carbonneau more and more. Last night I had a good laugh when on the Anitchambre he said something to the effect “Oh sure, Gomez played well tonight….it’s one game against a weaker opponent.” Not the same Gomy tonight is he? I guess that’s Carbonneau’s point.

Those critical saves Hiller made vs Gionta and Pouliot, in addition to some off target misses…will be the turning points in this game. You won’t get that many chances ‘close in’ on the Ducks goalie. They play big all around the rink and protect that slot area very well. Our only hope is lazer beam by the Wiz or Subby….hope they pepper Hiller in the 3rd.

Through all of this we must keep in mind that the team is currently looking more ‘Bulldogs’ than ‘Canadiens’……the injuries may be too much in the long stretch to the spring….

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

109. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

110. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

111. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

112. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

113. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

114. tricolore says:

I hope Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gill are gone at the end of the season. Go get a younger, brawny, stay at home D, maybe a 2nd if you can. Is Tinordi ready? Can he be worst than Hamr and the other old boys?

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

115. observer says:

spacek and hamrlck 2 worthless moves of gainey

116. pierre lapuck says:

You Ontario people should use Bell and with the sattelite you can get an English CBC feed, or it’s RDS.

117. missy44 says:

I prefer RDS.(then again Im a blingual French Canadian) With CBC,you get all sorts of “mix and match”b/w periods,including moronic classless Don Cherry,who would rather die,than talk about “Nos Canadiens”.

Montreal is a tough place to be a pro. We as fans demand quality hockey, because we know what quality hockey is all about.

For over 100 years we have been treated to the finest teams, including management and coaches to have ever played the game. But when someone comes to the fore, and gives his all as a man first and a player, every inch of his career here, he becomes a GAWD and hero for all of us.

Saku is such a man,!

119. samTHEman says:

I disagree with one part: “because we know what quality hockey is all about”. Yet millions of ‘fans’ disliked and judged Koivu because he didn’t speak fluent french infront of the media. Despite all his amazing qualities, battling through cancer, a warrior’s attitude with NO QUIT, people still found a reason to hate on him. “He didn’t win the cup.” No man alone wins a Stanley Cup. Hockey is a team sport. This is where french Montreal Canadiens show their irrationality

120. HFX-HabFan says:

The roster looks pretty ugly as a result of HIO’s rejection of paragraph breaks.  Sorry about that.

121. HFX-HabFan says:

Continuing the “debut roster” series, here is a lineup comprised of current NHLers who began their career in a Ducks uniform:

Penner-Getzlaf-Perry, Ryan-McDonald-Lupul, Kunitz-Cullen-Shannon, Glencross-Konopka-Miller, and Carter up front.

Fowler-Salei, O’Brien-Huskins, Sauer-Rome, and Festerling on D.

Hiller and Bryzgalov platooning in goal.

Total cost?  $57.45million, or $1.95million under the salary cap.

This roster shows that the Ducks have certainly been adept at developing forwards over the past decade, but few quality NHL-calibre blueliners (though in the last few years they’ve made a more concerted effort by taking American D prospects like Fowler, Gardiner and Mitera).

122. Corporate says:

I stopped reading at Eklund…

123. kmachabs27 says:

From eklund..

*The Habs are getting close to a deal I am told, that would bring Stephen Weiss to the Canadiens…

124. BJ says:

Why would we need another centre? Wrong type of player needed. If we add anything let it be size and skill. And if we do I don’t want either AK 46 or Pouliot involved in the deal. Unless Florida is willing to take on Gomers salary. And I like Gomer, his speed and set-up ability but his salary keeps us from probably affording a Penner.

125. le_vrai_jacques says:

We could have a Leblanc, White, Weiss line.

HI/O needs some kind of filter that won’t allow posts with the word “Eklund” in them.

This guy is never right about anything but continues to get lots of press and attention.

It just blows my mind.

(not picking on the person who just posted the original comment).

127. habstrinifan says:

Just read that too. Cant see the sense in it. A first round draft choice in 2001 who really hasn’t lived up to 1st round status and also undersized.

128. adam76 says:

I still can’t believe the LEAFS are the national game.  What an embarrassment.  CBC owes an explanation on that one.

129. missy44 says:

M.marcotte

Adam,

Classless Cherry is anti-hab.He wont change! CBC should be ashamed of themselves for hiring him,year after year.last time I checked,Montreal,Quebec WAS IN CANADA!

130. sailor2963 says:

Classy move by Montreal fans to give Koivu a standing O.  Nice hit by Lapierre!  Okay, enough of the ex-Hans…Go Habs Go!

131. missy44 says:

As a half French Canadian,half Irish American,I agree with you! SAKU DID NOT NEED TO LEARN FRENCH TO PLAY HKY!

Had he held a job “requiring bilingualism”,it would of been different.But HOCKEY,and the heart he put in it on and off the ice.That was stupidity on the FRENCH MEDIA,and I agree with you 100%.Yet again SAKU ,being Saku,never let those stupid comments bother him!

132. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

133. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

134. FSLN says:

So sorry, massively duplicated post!

135. Chuck says:

I think that’s a record!

136. observer says:

2 cheap penalties but who failed to clear the zone just before the goal was scored?

137. adam76 says:

Refs knew the fist two were cheap, that is why they let a high stick on Ryan go.

Or maybe they are just incompetent across the board?

138. savethepuck says:

coming on here to ask the same question.  I think yes, if Auld was starting, I think it would of been news by now. He rests til Tuesday, then the all-star break

139. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

Is Carey going back to to back tonight?

140. missy44 says:

Of course not Psycho ( I dont watch that idiot!) Saku is a gentleman,has guts,never talks without meaning it,and has a HEART.ALL things Cherry doesnt have!

Not to mention Saku is From Finland! Unless you are an English Canadian Hky player (outside of Quebec,of course) you are nothing! I remember when Cherry was crapping on Mark Recchi because he was a SISSY for wearing a visor.(yes mark is a Canadian,but from BC,not Ontario!)

Cherry is a blowhard bigot.Unless you are playing for the LEAFS,or are from Ontario,you are NOTHING TO HIM.!

He hates French Canadians,Europeans,Russians,Slovaks,not complicated you have to be from Ontario.Hell,last year when The HABS,were beating the CAPS,he was still talking about the LEAFS,who were long gone on the golf course!

Why CBC puts up with him,I dont know.Why He has fans,Im even more surprised!

I am PROUD OF THE MONTREAL CROWD,FOR HAVING SO MUCH CLASS,FOR SUCH A CLASSY MAN!

141. Psycho29 says:

No mention of Saku’s return on Coaches Corner……What a shocker!!!

142. missy44 says:

Why CBC puts up with him,I dont know.Why He has fans,Im even more surprised!

I Never read the smuck, Steve.  Waste”s my time.

144. Chuck says:

Great… another feature that will enhance HI/O’s ability to crash.   ;)

145. adam76 says:

First game you watched this season?

146. Psycho29 says:

Were the Leafs that bad???

147. observer says:

one of worst periods of effort this season.

148. MTLForever says:

Unfortunately I will not be able to watch the game tonight, I hope that everyone in that arena chants Saku and gives him the standing O that he deserves. Great guy and he brought everything to the ice. We will always remember his years here and I want to see his jersey in our arena up high one day.

149. FSLN says:

Hi all,

So this starving student is looking for some cheap tickets for tonight so my girlfriend and I can join her friends at the game. Craigslist doesn”t have anything cheaper than $100 and so I was thinking about going five minutes after the game starts and trying to catch a panicking scalper but if anyone has tickets they”re trying to get rid of please e-mail me at ethanwrites@gmail.com

It’s way too ridiculous to get tickets for a reasonable price in this city, so if anyone can help me out I’ll really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Ethan

150. Say Ash says:

CBC west says ducks habs here in vancouver

151. savethepuck says:

I am on Rogers cable and my guide shows the Habs on CBRT  and CBUT, I think CBRT is regional Toronto. Unfortunately I don’t get those stations in HD

152. skoalbandit says:

I have opted to leave my Price, Subban and Cammi jerseys in the closet tonight. I will be bringing the Koivu out of retirement for one night.

Tonight opening ceremony should mirror the night Saku came back from cancer. Anything less would be ungreatful!

153. adam76 says:

and CBC is showing the Leafs coast to coast.  Unreal.

154. avatar_58 says:

You have to be f’in kidding me. I can’t even watch the goddamn return of Koivu in HD? I either choose the garbage less than SD CBCW or the less than SD in french RDS.

WHY DO I PAY FOR THIS TRASH???

155. missy44 says:

You are the first person to mention SAKU! What class that man has.(what they replaced him with,(I beleive Gomez at 6 million a year,does not play better than him.I doubt he is half the gentleman he is,too,but I DO NOT KNOW HIM,so I CANT SAY!

Saku did not only play his heart out every night,but played an ENORMOUS IMPACT on the Montreal Community. He did not take his serious Cancer “cure”for granted,and thanked the People (Hospitals ,Indirectly and directly) by his Foundation.When he would read about somebody struggling with Cancer,he would somehow,find a way to “help them”even if it was words of encouragement.

Im surprised that everybody else here,has forgotten him.CLASS.It is RARE.Talent ,too.He is the whole package!

And ,humble,too!

156. samTHEman says:

VOTE KOIVU AS 1ST STAR SO HE GETS ANOTHER STANDING OVATION!!

157. avatar_58 says:

Cheer? I love Koivu but he’s not a hab at the moment. Good plays should be cheered by members of this team.

Imagine the balls he’d have to have to do such a thing though? A big ol marchand-replay type hit.

158. Bugs says:

With all the lovey-dovey surroundin Saku on his return to Hockey City, I wonder what the reaction would be if Soobie totally wiped’m out, and I mean WIPED’M OUT COLD, four minutes into the game, fractured collarbone, out for the remainder of the bout… Oh, golly, could you imagine? Would you cheer or would you boo?

159. SeriousFan09 says:

But would they play the white way?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

160. oshawahabsfan says:

I just want to say thank you Saku. While you and your teamates didn’t give the city of Montreal a Stanley Cup to parade through town, what you gave to the city and the future patients of the city’s hospital cannot be measured. I hope Montreal wins big tonight, but if Anaheim scores a goal I hope it’s from your stick

161. HabFanSince72 says: