Game 47: Wounded Habs fall in OT

Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend helps Michael Cammalleri (left) and Max Pacioretty off HSBC Center ice in Buffalo. Note photo at left: Pacioretty on the bench, soon to be headed off in distress himself.
Bill Wippert, NHLI via Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Scott Gomez | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Tomas Plekanec

At a Glance: Carnage, that’s what it was. Forget that the Canadiens lost 2-1 to the Buffalo Sabres in overtime at HSBC Arena Tuesday night, in the Habs’ second game in back-to-back matches. Forget the incredible work of Habs goalie Carey Price, and the superb play of his counterpart, Ryan Miller.

Let’s cut to the clinic: Michael Cammalleri was crosschecked into the boards by Sabres’ Mike Weber and emerged with a left shoulder injury, reported by TSN to be a probable separation that will put Cammalleri on the shelf for two weeks. Max Pacioretty was drilled in the midsection by a point shot off the stick of teammate James Wisniewski. RDS reported it to be a rib injury, and Pacioretty was taken to hospital on a stretcher, connected to intravenous fluids, said to be for observation and to ensure that Pacioretty had suffered no internal injuries.

Centre Jeff Halpern was hit twice with high checks and left the game for a bit, returning in the second but playing very little. It was later reported he had a shoulder injury. Defenceman P.K. Subban was smoked in the foot with a shot and nearly collapsed leaving the ice, but returned. Scott Gomez and Andrei Kostitsyn were both hobbled by third-period shots. Hal Gill seemed to have taken a shot off his hand in overtime but RDS colleague Renaud Lavoie reported postgame it was nothing serious. Benoit Pouliot didn’t even make the trip (smart guy!), still nursing the flu. Earlier in the day, defenceman Josh Gorges flew to Alabama where on Wednesday he will have reconstructive surgery on his right ACL, joining similarly injured Andrei Markov on the sidelines for the balance of the season.

The Scoring: Oh right. The goals. Canadiens’ David
Desharnais opened the scoring at 5:19 of the first period, tipping in a
Roman Hamrlik shot, and Buffalo’s Tyler Ennis tied it up at 11:21 of the
second on a Sabres power play. Jason Pominville scored the winner in OT
after the Canadiens had killed a high-sticking penalty to Gomez that
spanned regulation and overtime.

• Key Moments: Injuries.
Take your pick. They hurt. Badly.

What It Means:
Montreal’s record goes to to 25-17-4 for 54 points.

The Canadiens will lick their wounds Wednesday in Montreal,
having chartered home immediately after the game. They’re expected to
practise Thursday, then play two more in as many nights: in Ottawa
Friday vs. the Senators, and back home Saturday for the homecoming of
their former captain Saku Koivu, now skating with the Anaheim Ducks.

1. LA Loyalist says:

that was hilarious. prepare thyself for death threats.

2. Duracell3 says:

Blatantly wrong, the Canadiens are 26th in goals per game.

3. Duracell3 says:

I remember more when the flames lost the next game.

4. tricolore says:

I remember 1993.

I remember Kirk is Work Muller.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

5. luca says:

Wow this is nuts Halpren out also

6. habs63 says:

what happened to Halpern? what is his injury?

7. zaq007 says:

Hopefully its just Kirk deciding to lace them up to help us out!

8. naweed235 says:

I can already see the headlines: ” The Period That Cost The Habs The 2010-11 Season! “

9. tricolore says:

I hope these injuries don’t mean we can kiss this season good bye. With Markov and Gorges already gone, this team can’t afford Cammy, Pach, and PK out….

Hope was the last to die….

Let’s hope none of these are serious, but someone is seriously hurt based on Muller’s reaction after speaking to the trainer. Sigh.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

10. dre1744 says:

hopefully PK  isn’t hurt too bad!!!!!!!!!

11. Laramy87 says:

PK will be back in the second… Cammi and MaxPac wont be… Thats my guess.

Hamilton is only an hour down the road, can we get players mid-game. Wow i cannot believe this period.

12. zaq007 says:

On the bad note we must have been cursed by the hockey gods that period, never seen so much injuries :S but on the positive not Dave your tweets have been gold tonight!!!

13. naweed235 says:

WOW! WTF?!?!?!?! Cammi, MaxPac, Halpern and now Subban>!>!>!?!?!?! ARE U F#$)(ING KIDDING ME!?!?!?

20 mins in a blender would’ve done less dammage than this period…

14. adam76 says:

PK out also?

15. fbkj says:

a fifth of our roster out in one period… wow

16. Julie H says:

They are dropping like flies…hopefully the ones left on the ice will be able to score some more goals

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

17. F Bomb says:

Cammi took a shot from the slot, Miller made a great save. Puck comes around the boards and as Cammi is reaching for it he gets shoved from behind and goes left shoulder first into the boards. Instantly you could see his face he was hurting. Has not retured

18. daveho29 says:

got home from work just in time to see the goal, missed what happened to Cammi?

19. F Bomb says:

PP goal for DD! He is making a case to stay with the team for sure.

20. F Bomb says:

Cammi just dislocated his shoulder. Max PAC may gave broken his firearm or rib.

21. zaq007 says:

We’re loosing men quickly :S

22. Say Ash says:

He should have jumped into the crowd and high-fived Youppi.

23. karpen33 says:

I might be a little late on this but what was wrong with PK’s celebration after the winning goal? He is a young guy just score the winning goal in OT. Its exciting and shows he enjoys the game. We all remember Theo Fleury sliding across the ice on his knees pumping his fists. Stop trying to contain his guy.

24. habs365 says:

Martin won’t be getting his walking papers anytime soon, who ever started that rumor..martin is doing exactly what he has to do..specialize on one thing because we don’t have many talented players if he did I’m sure he would be focusing on all areas.

25. Psycho29 says:

In Philadelphia, it’s 9 in 10….

And the 10th one throws up on innocent families…

26. Colomb27 says:

We should be fresh seeing as we only played 30 minutes last night

27. Hagar says:

This is groundbreaking stuff. Hats off to the researchers.

28. savethepuck says:

I don’t think they used the right sample size.  I would guess the number would be a lot higher.

29. Hagar says:

Doesn’t matter HFS72. The real mark of success is goal differential. Ask my man Berkshire.

30. TomNickle says:

Meant to type the Hawks, not Avs.  Their goals for in the playoffs have been dreadful and their goals against have been excellent.

That’s my point.  Their bread and butter has been an ability to outmuscle the opposition and keep them away from their net, not from lighting up the scoreboards.

31. Habhopeful says:

ok, I cant work the numbers, not a number’s guy so I assume you know what your talkin about, but i dont know what you mean with the last comment…

[Game 1] 4.14.2010 @ San Jose: San Jose 1, Colorado 2
    [Game 2] 4.16.2010 @ San Jose: San Jose 6, Colorado 5, OT
    [Game 3] 4.18.2010 @ Colorado: San Jose 0, Colorado 1, OT
    [Game 4] 4.20.2010 @ Colorado: San Jose 2, Colorado 1, OT
    [Game 5] 4.22.2010 @ San Jose: San Jose 5, Colorado 0
    [Game 6] 4.24.2010 @ Colorado: San Jose 5, Colorado 2

thats 19 goals in 6 games which isnt too bad, am I wrong? considering in 3 of those games they only scored 3 goals, i see your point,

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

32. j2w4habs25 says:

a W tonight will be perfect!!

Carey Price #31

33. habs365 says:

That’s an easy one..the one and only JEAN BELIVEAU

34. TomNickle says:

Oh, and on your topic of goal scoring.  There are only two teams in the NHL who score a goal/game more than the Habs.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

You could wear one on your head.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

You don’t get it do you?

Cammi’s comment is perfectly consistent with Cournoyer and Lemaire’s attitudes.

“We’re a team and we win and lose as a team.”

37. Habhopeful says:

Good & great Habs teams never had to deal with a salary cap…I agree with you we arent a “well balanced” team, but there are not very well balanced teams out there anymore, chicago is no longer the “well balanced” team they were last year, san jose either, Anaheim, I would say the most balanced team this season is probably Detroit, Vancouver, hell not even Pittsburgh is well balanced..

Truthfully, we are a middling team, who can place anywhere from 5th place to 8th or out of the playoffs, we’ve never tanked to be where chicago, Pittsburgh, washington are and where edmonton is, or where the islanders wish they were…

we work with what we got, cause all the GM’s know and its been stated repeatedly that in this salary cap world where draft picks and salary cap space is a wanted commodity, it is VERY difficult to make trades, you dont see any blockbusters anymore, unless the team is greatly stacked…

most teams who have won the cup lately had a big youth movement involved with there team, if you care to notice, we now have alot of young players on our roster, Pax, Eller, Price, Subban, Weber…youth and depth is an ingrediant for success, something we are closer to building on, alot is easier said then done in the blogosphere….

i can imagine if we had an exciting team like washington the past 2 years and they failed as miserably as they have, you would be wanting a more defensive responsible team…The grass is always greener on the other side I guess…

you seem to not understand that every team stinks it up every once in a while, what matters is how they come back and respond, sometimes we respond with character, other times we dont respond…Id rather have low expectations and be surprised (Last years playoff run) then to have huge expectations and to be disapointed (see sharks, caps etc…)

thats the beauty of it…

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Ducks having scoring problems?

39. LA Loyalist says:

Balance. Good and great Habs teams have always had balance and the skill to switch gears. That’s all.

You can’t possibly argue that this is a balanced team, though I guess you can argue anything. But the numbers are the numbers, we are not scoring enough goals and we give up plenty of Mr. Softies (to be fair obviously we’re missing Markov and Gorges, certainly we’d be better with them all over the ice).

If we weren’t regularly collapsing like last night maybe I’d be happy with a great defensive team, but we’re not that either.

So what are we? Expiring minds want to know.

too small, too soft, too intangible

40. TomNickle says:

Actually it is.  In their last three playoff appearances, the Sharks have had goals for/game averages of 2.09, 1.63 and 2.63.

They’ve been under 3.00 in goals against average in all three of those years and under 2.5 in two of the three.

So yeah, they’ve been very good defensively and sub-par offensively in the playoffs.

Their offense didn’t do them any favours against the Avs last year.

41. Habhopeful says:

but they’ve been better known for their offensive power than defensive game, its not for lack of scoring that theyve been unsuccessful in the playoffs, and now they seem worse offensivley and defensively than the previous years

42. TomNickle says:

Actually the Sharks have been very strong defensively over their successful regular seasons.

43. LA Loyalist says:

We need a Penner to play with DD, would that be great or what?

44. Habhopeful says:

like the capitals? no wait…the sharks? thats right, pure offense hasnt gotten them anywhere, it only works if you have 4 lines of strong offense and atleast 2-4 offensive dman even then, your set to fail if you dont take care of your own end…

45. habs365 says:

what counoyer did you’ll never see again either..these guys aren’t made the same..most of them are big and tough, not very skilled and it’s all about money not the orginization.

46. TomNickle says:

The team is winning.

47. LA Loyalist says:

No, but we can still dream about having a team that plays in the other end of the rink, can’t we? Without dreams we die.

48. LA Loyalist says:

Do I have to put a big neon “JOKE” sign on everything? Sigh…

49. LA Loyalist says:

I saw one of Clark’s first games from good seats when I was a kid, he was devastating and finally brought some hope to pathetic Leafs, but too many injuries limited his upside. Certainly he was more physical then Koivu, it’s a question of style, I guess.

G*d I wish we’d had both of them. I would also have no complaints about a team with Dougie Gilmour and Kirk Muller.

At least we enjoyed Koivu and Muller, and had a small taste of Gilmour.

** one interesting sidebar about Clark, he used acupuncture to deal with some of his injuries, which was pretty exotic at that time, it apparently helped.

50. Mark C says:

Even for you, isn’t this hyperbole a bit much? P.K. wasn’t even pinching; he was clearly the second man in the zone. Under JM defenseman always activate on 4-on-4’s, Montreal plays as a unit in these situations. I would guess that JM would think P.K. made the right play regardless of the outcome.

51. Kooch7800 says:

Hey as small as DD is, he has been playing quite well.  He can easily play full time in the NHL

52. LA Loyalist says:

You know what’s interesting? Contrast your Yvon C and Lemaire story (one of many, many heroic stories of Mtl captains) and compare it with Cammalleri’s comment that is your tag line (whether ironically intended or not, I don’t know).

Doesn’t that tell us just about all we need to know about the “intangibles” currently leading (I use the term as loosely as possible) the Habs?

Cammi’s comment has always bothered me (and I like him as a player) but I wasn’t sure why. You’ve made it as clear as Newfie vodka.

thank you.

53. Storm Man says:

See my post at 16:38.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

54. Storm Man says:

I like the word ” Nonsense” btw it get’s straight to the point of the matter. The term Captain is a funny one( Is he the best player on the team or the one player that you would go to war with?). I think Koivu was a good captain on a ok team, But Koivu is not someone I would go to war with. TSN will always back a player from the Leafs it is just the way it is. But if I had to pick Koivu or Clark to captain my team it would be Clark in a heartbeat. The guy was a devastating bodychecker who would fight anyone and had one of the best wrist shot’s in the game. What he did in game 6 in the 93 playoffs stands out alot for me(Scores 3 goals and beats the piss out of McSorley) That is a captain I want to have. Wit that been said should Clark be on a list with the other greats of the game NO. But he was better then Koivu and that is very hard for me to say btw.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

55. TomNickle says:

I really hope that this Martin’s job was saved by the ot win last night is a joke that I’ve been missing out on.  Anybody who thought that Martin was even close to getting his walking papers is out of touch with reality.

56. TomNickle says:

For everyone who wanted Ben Eager for a fifth round pick, what round did we draft Brendan Gallagher in again?

Wendal Clark.

58. LA Loyalist says:

Martin is still going to bag-skate PK for pinching, even though it probably saved Martin’s job.

59. joshua94k says:

Wendell Clark, captain of the Leafs in hockey’s toughest market ???  Nonsense !! There are a lot of more worthy captains.

Saku Koivu was the captain the Montreal Canadiens in hockey’s toughest market. He battled adversity and led by example.

Bob Gainey, Joe Sakic, are other great leaders. They didn’t say much but when they spoke, everyone listened.

Yvon Counoyer didn’t want to miss a game against the Flyers. He was stuck in a snow storm and travelled by skidoo with Jacques Lemaire for about three hours in freezing blinding snow. Their eyes were frozen shut. Both made it to the game and scored that night leading their team to victory. It is no surprise that Cournoyer was named captain after Henri Richard.

Henri Richard played more than half of his career on Stanley Cup winner (11), nobody will ever match that again.

60. TheDagger says:

Agreed… it wouldn’t seem right to see Rosie O’Donnell amongst the Cowgirls.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

That was like lining up the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, than putting a 300-pound transvestite in the middle.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

62. Storm Man says:

Who’s name do you think should not be on the list????

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

63. Hobie Hansen says:

You might be right but I seriously doubt Eager would come back to haunt any team, as much as I like him. I saw him play for the Generals in the OHL a bunch of times. Warrior!

Who’s the greatest captain of al time?

There’s one name on this list that certainly doesn’t belong.  The Toronto bias once again shines through at TSN.

65. SLONCOLD says:

eller is having a break out season….

66. TheDagger says:

Clash of the titans tonight…. Nathan Gerbe and David Desharnais!!

HH – There’s no way Atlants is going to trade anyone to a rival in the playoff standings.

Tom Pyatt is great on the PK but Eager might have been a nice addition as a 4th left winger.

68. Storm Man says:

No trolls today….. ManApart and TripleX have a case of the Habs win flu.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

69. fbkj says:

tentatively on hold

other shoe must drop

and all will return to normal

70. Hobie Hansen says:

The San Jose Sharks have added some grit to their forward corps. The club acquired winger Ben Eager from the Atlanta Thrashers on Tuesday for a fifth round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Habs could have used this guy on their 3rd or 4th line. Tough as nails and can play the game.

71. Propwash says:

I got a feeling it could be a goaltending dual tonight, Price is probably going to see alot of rubber.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

72. Hobie Hansen says:

So is Martin still getting fired or this that on hold for now? PK and Eller are playing horrible as a result of his coaching decisions, aren’t they?

Are will still sending Gomez to the AHL?

Is kostitsyn still a bum?

Any Trolls out there today?