Game 46: Habs solve Thrashers in shootout

Canadiens captain Saku Koivu beats Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen in the shootout for the game-winning goal.
Scott Cunningham, NHLI via Getty Images

| Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog

Updated by Kevin Mio, new links added at 10 a.m.

For the third straight time this season, the Canadiens and Atlanta Thrashers needed a shootout to decide the outcome of their matchup.

After losing the first two times, 3-2, the Habs got goals from Andrei Kostitsyn and Saku Koivu in the bonus format to grab the extra point with a 3-2 win of their own on Thursday night. Cristobal Huet, whose puckhandling miscue resulted in Atlanta’s tying goal midway through the third period, stopped Vyacheslav Kozlov and Marian Hossa in the shootout to help make up for his mistake.

Hossa opened the scoring for the Thrashers on the power play at 18:49 in the first period after Ilya Kovalchuk’s dive resulted in a Francis Bouillon penalty. Andrei Kostitsyn got that one back five minutes into the second period with a highlight-reel goal after splitting the defence and beating goalie Kari Lehtonen with a quick backhand to the top corner.

Michael Ryder’s seventh goal of the season six minutes into the final frame put the Canadiens ahead 2-1, but Atlanta got that one back three minutes later. Miscommunication between Huet and Roman Harmlik resulted in a turnover and Pascal Dupuis scored into an empty net to tie the game 2-2

Montreal outshot Atlanta 29-24, including 28-19 in regulation time.

Atlanta was the final stop on a four-game road trip for the Canadiens, who return home with a 3-1 record. They face the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night.

1. Ed says:

Man, I am so sorry if I hurt your feelings. I was only pointing this out because he is your favourite player. You direct all of your comments at krob1000 and me. However, I think the only thing applicable to me is how you spell Plekanec, your favourite player. I did not comment on anything else. That was krob.

As for me saying that we will be sorry when Ryder is gone, I have never once said that. The team is playing well without him, and I don’t see that changing because he is gone. I think a move will be best for everyone as the coaching staff has no confidence in him, and a move would be good for him. I also feel he should be traded before the trade deadline, because he will walk after the year and then we will get nothing for him. I have even told you this before, but you conveniently forget it.

You are right. Kostitsyn is also hard to spell, and you got that wrong too. Sorry, I could not resist. (:

2. RiverviewCanadien says:

Well, if he is the type of character that can play in the NHL, he will bounce back. But look at what happened to Marc-Andre Fleury….same thing. Don’t rush things. He is just a kid and who knows, we might have to count on him for playoffs, he seems to do well in that category

Playoff Price?

3. krob1000 says:

I don’t know what Ed has to do with any of this and I make more typing mistakes then anyone on here….that is a guarantee. I don’t know what I misquoted anymore than your misquote of “my boy Ryder” and we don’t need to delve into our past debates. I just don’t understand how 5 million is too much for a point a game guy. I don’t care if anyone is sorry when he is gone as long as we win. I do not think Ryder is great but he is definitely underrated by people like yourself and some guy who coaches our club. I think he is underused and will succeed elsewhere and I also think he would succeed here if he was back on the powerplay again where he belongs.

Tanguay would be a great addition to any club and his salary is not inflated and only has one more year on it. I notice noone answered my challenge to find better free agent siginings for the same or similar money in response to my listing of Briere, Smyth, Gomez, Drury, etc. I am not picking on you anymore than anyone who is ignoring the fact that Tanguay would help us (it likely won’t happen anyway).

Kovalev was wrose than Ryder last year what did you think of him??? One bad year is no reason to hate a guy. I can make up excuses all I want and regardless of their validity. Gainey also said he has not given up on Ryder.
    Bonk is lighting it up somewhere else but he has 11 goals and 8 assists and is minus 15 (defensive juggernaut!). Johnson just got waived.

4. originalsix says:

Man you gotta feel for Carey Price.

These last two games he’s played, horribly beaten.

I heard on the radio (CJAD 800) this morning that Bob Gainey was present at the Peoria game where Price got hammered. Kid must feel horrible. I wonder what mind-set he’s in now and hopefully his confidence isn’t ruined a la Raycroft.

5. Moey says:

Agreed, Huet is the better goalie. But Iceman and Derek are right, Huets’ track record against the leafs is lousy. We only started beating them this year when we switched Huet for Price. Technically it doesn’t make sense, but it changed the dynamics for some unknown reason. Halak should be in nets against the leafs.

6. RiverviewCanadien says:

Again with the negative comments. Huet is the better goalie. Price cannot figure out AHL teams right now…He will not be back (well should not be) for the rest of the season.

7. TradeRyder says:

Hey Krob! I love both you and Ed! You guys are soooooo helpful. I think I must be the first person EVER to misspell Plekanec! Thanks Ed!

You guys need to rely on misquoting me and making fun of little typing mistakes to deal with the fact that Ryder really just isn’t so good. It makes me laugh!!!

About Tanguay… I didnt’ say he’d tie our hands. And I did say a trade is a good idea. But I said let’s wait for someone who seems IDEAL.. and I listed logical reasons why Tanguay is not. And yes we need a sniper – I mean on that scores more than 3 or 4 by the half-way point. See the thing about a sniper is how MANY goals he scores, and whether he makes use of his time on the ice.

You guys think Ryder is great. I think he’s way over-rated. You think we’ll be sorry when he’s gone. I think we won’t. Fair enough?

In terms of plus leaders last year. Perezhogin, Plekanec, Komiserik is a good start and makes sense. Johnson played GREAT D for us last year… Kostitisyn is another of my favorite players because he plays a full game (and his name is also hard to spell). Markov… I think I’ve heard of him and Bonk – gee, last I heard he was lighting it up someplace else. Yadda…. now you’re in the middle of the pack. Plus-minus isn’t the only stat, but it’s useful. And it’s why some guy named Bob Gainey called your boy Ryder a “defensive disaster”. LOL

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

8. krob1000 says:

The Flames game on TSN last night pointed out that Trevor Timmins and Roberts were at the game and the panel all figured(Mckenzie, Dreger,etc) the best explanation was examining a Tanguay for Ryder swap. Could be nothing as they have been seen at other games (Pittsburgh, San Jose,etc) but they explained it as a salary dump for Calgary to make room for Phaneuf and Huselius. It makes sense fromt hat perpective and for many other reasons if you read this whole thread. There are other guys I’d rather have too if given a choice but there are so few players available anymore.

9. habsgod says:

hi guys i’m seeing all this stuff on here about ryder for tanguay !!where was this mentioned ?is it even being considered?i hope so!!this would be a great deal for us!!our lines will become even more balanced and more dangerous and will give us a true second line with koivu,tanguay,latendresse!!

10. krob1000 says:

So then I guess you are saying trade noone. Should consider a name change then. We need someone and that is a fact. By the time our young corps is in full bloom will be in possession of a Koivu, Kovalev, Hamrlik who are all two years older. I think next year is the best year to start making a big move while those guys are still productive. There are tons of guys I would prefer to Tanguay but I would be happy if it was him.

How much do you seriously consider Plekanec, Higgins or Komisarek to be worth???? Do you honestly think that having a 5 million dollar signing is going to handicap us. If that is the case than we are not in as good of shape as we like to think we are. Tanguay has been more productive in his last three seasons than our best Hab in any one of them. I have never been a Tanguay fan either but I would be if he played here. We pay several guys aroud the same money Tanguay is making but we have not had anyone post more than a point per game in recent memory.

You really amze me at times TRADERYDER. “What we really need is a sniper” from a guy named traderyder……hmmm. Last year Kovalev was -19, Koivu was -21, Higgins -11, Lats -20 so I don’t think Ryder was alone. Should we trade those guys??

Here is a list of last years top plus minus leaders for us.

1. Perezhogin 2. Plekanec, 3.Komisarek 4. Mike Johnson 5.Kosititsyn 6.Markov 7. Bonk. 8. Grabovski 9. Milroy 10. Samsonov. 11.Gorges 12.Streit 13.Downey

What a stat!!!! I wonder if we have not amde some serious mistakes then if that stat is so important.

11. Moey says:

Derek, Ice man,

Good points, has to be Halak in goals.

12. Ed says:

In your profile, you list Plekanec as your favourite player, but you spell it as Plekanic. I notice you have done it in your post as well. I thought I’d just point this out since he is your favourite player.

Tomas Plekanec #14

13. RH says:

Four years for muder. Sounds about right, under Canadian law. What did Danny Heatley get again? Maybe Ramage shoulda hired Heatley’s lawyer.

14. Derek says:

If Halak plays, Leafs won’t win. Look at how he played against them last season. Remember that crucial shootout we won near the end of last season? Andrei K. won that one for us along with Halak. As long as Huet doesn’t play them (for some reason he sucks against them), we have a good chance.

15. Ice Man says:

Oh Teach relax. Don’t be so up tight. You need a sense of humour there man.

Hey kRob – When you checkout the Lousy Leaf players (on your afore mentioned site) with no trade clauses, you really get a feel for just how tough it will be to turn the Leafs around. Don’t worry though, Cliff Fletcher is on his way!!!

The Original 24 Cups

17. Ice Man says:

Now that Price is not up with the Habs you can add The Montreal Canadiens to that list. They will beat the Habs without price.

18. TradeRyder says:

Here’s the OTHER side of things:

Tanguay might get more than 5 million. But do we sign him and lose Higgins or Komi when they come up together? Or Plekanic? We have enough young guns that are stepping up and because they are young and home-grown we can do as good, almost, or better for less money. Also, Tanguay is a left wing – that’s where we’re fullest, and he’s not a sniper, he’s a passer. We need snipers. So he’s not the IDEAL trade, and we’re fairly strong in goal-scoring so we should wait for the ideal trade, someone just too good to pass up.

As for Ryder being so great… yadda, yadda, the guy was given all the chances in the world until a few weeks ago. He had plenty of PP time and ice time and after a dozens of games where his performance was an issue he was not performing so gets less. That’s how professional sports works. Add to that that in his two big seasons he was either the minus leader or 1-point from it and you can say that he CAN score but not this year, and when he DOES he still needs to prove he can play a decent D game while scoring lots of goals. Enough of players who come with big negatives attached. Give me a solid 20-goal guy who also plays responsible hockey all the time… .and we have a bunch of those, and they’re getting better.

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

19. JF says:

Two years ago Dumont was trying to work out a deal with Buffalo. By the time it fell through and he was available, we had signed Samsonov. Too bad… I think he’d fit well on our team.

20. fuhgawz says:

told you read my post below

Habs-Kat – To me, this is another example of a young player that may have been rushed to the NHL too early. He also had some injury problems in the early going. Lots of skill, grit, and determination. I’m not sure that Columbus would give up on him just yet but I agree, can’t hurt to inquire. Let’s see, who have we got to trade? Give me a R….!

The Original 24 Cups

22. The Teacher says:

I’m not a fan of Tanguay..never was…he’s not worth anything close to 5 million…that’s my opinion.

23. Moey says:

Off-topic, but I heard this on the radio this morning, thought it was funny.

15 vs. Bloomington Jr. High School Girls
    22 vs. Cub Scout Troop #101
    29 vs. CNIB Senior Team

5 vs. Spanish-American War Vets
    12 vs. Harlem Globetrotters
    19 vs. St. Cloud Home for Wayward Girls
    26 vs. Girl Scout Troop #71

5 vs. Ontario VD Clinic Post #3
    12 vs. Church Street Boy’s Choir
    19 vs. Korean War Amputees
    26 vs. VA Hospital Polio Patients

24. krob1000 says:

Let me make some things clear here…I have never been sold on Tanguay and when there were rumblings of him for Kovalev I was very concerned. We have a good player in Ryder who is being underused. (Darren Dreger last night called him a power play specialist and said he was slumping and having a terible year……well first off he doesn’t play the power play and when he does it is the end of the power play and the puck is obviously not in the zone or there would be no reason to change players). Ryder is a UFA at the end of the season. We will likely not sign him although I wish we would. We could definitely use another big scoring weapon and Tanguay could be that guy.

THAT 65 POINT GUY STATEMENT IS COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. He has averaged a point per game more for the last three seasons. In the last three seasons we have not had one single guy that has averaged a point per game in any season. If Tanguay goes ont he open market he will likely get more than 5 million per season as a simple result of the supply and demand world that is free agency. With how difficult trades are these days this move could be a way to get a top player without competing against the other teams that will overpay. Tanguay has a no trade clause but may be willing to waive it to go back to Quebec (pure speculation).

Bottom line is if we can add a player like this to our team we should especially if we only give up a player we never use properly anyway. I am fine with keeping Ryder but I would rather see a trade like this than give him away for a draft pick or lose him for nothing.

Rob Ramage was just sentenced to 4 years in jail for drunk driving and the related death of Keith Magnuson.

The Original 24 Cups

26. The Teacher says:

not really a joke topic…to tell you the truth… :S

27. Bill H says:
    “Oddly, J.P. Dumont is EXACTLY tied with Hossa as the 8th most likely to be traded player, also with a 76.1 rating, and is rumoured to Detroit 35%, Montreal 25%, Buffalo 20%, and staying in Nashville 20%”
    Not the most reliable site. Sometimes I think he creates rumours so as to create interest and more hits. Nothing happening today? Gee, why not start a rumour about a Kovalev trade?

28. krob1000 says:

point per game guys are not worth 5 million????Gomez got 7 million, Briere more, Smyth, Drury, Ribeiro. I think you guys are not taking into consideration the market that actually exists today. Some guys are bargains because they have breakout seasons while under contract and other guys are bargains after bad seasons but that is a fair value for a guy like that in todays , market and I am not sure how people are not seeing that. Can someone please find me a similar player for less money as a free agent signing. The pickings are slim and players are overvalued during the free agent frenzy. To get a guy like Tanguay via trade would be cheaper than if he were on the market.

29. showey47 says:

you are correct 24 cups, we had already signed samsonov and had neither the cap space or roster spot for him. Dumont only became available after buffalo walked away from an abritration ruling about 2 weeks after the samy signing. Ah what could of been.

30. Habs-Kat says:

Random thought: Bob should inquire about the availability of Gilbert Brulé, picked right after Carey Price by the Blue Jackets in the Crosby draft. I remember Pierre McGuire hollering that the Canadiens should’ve picked him or Luc Bourdon.

He played 31 games this season with four points, and got sent down to play in the AHL for the first time. He’s a point-per-game player down there.

31. TommyB says:

Why? Because he doesn’t add “tee” at the end of his jokes or sarcasm?

32. Ice Man says:

Oh. & you # 12 are an angel. One who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

I guess no one like jokes right.

Come on people lighten up.

33. cautiousoptimist says:

“A sigh of relief: Cristobal Huet, who’s suffered just one loss in regulation over the last month, will be making a fifth straight start tonight. Huet has been able to count on a tighter defense in front of him lately, with his blue-liners limiting opponents to less than 30 shots in each of his last four starts.”

I thought it was the other way around whereby Dumont wanted to come to Montreal (even for a little less money than Nashville) and Gainey wasn’t interested. Who knows?! He’s an option – he can play both wings and is a decent scorer who plays in traffic. He’s kinda streaky though, and I don’t think he’s that great defensively. But outside of Sergei K and Kovalev, we really don’t have anyone on the immediate horizon for right wing next year (outside of the usual suspects in Hamilton).

The Original 24 Cups

35. Ice Man says:

IT WAS A JOKE. Mr. Cobb.

36. krob1000 says:

You have to be aware of Kovalchuk at all times Ian because you know they are going to be looking to set him up for the one-timer. lol I am hardly one to give gramatical advice as I don’t proof read my own posts but given you have stated you are always working on improving your literacy skills I thought I’d mention this. The apostrophe key is the one two over to the right of your “L” key. The commas are for pauses in a senetence or listing and the apostrophe’s (two over to the right of your “l” key) are what you use in words for possession or combining two words like I’m (I am).

37. Ian G Cobb says:

Yep ! I just got the call ! I,m going to the show, going to be Halak,s back up !

I guess we can say anything on here now !

38. TommyB says:

I realize you are talking about a trade, and not a free-agent signing, but wasn’t Dumont approached two summers ago when he was an UFA and he wanted nothing to do with Montreal? If he were acquired, and didn’t want to be here, I’d be concerned.

Yet, on the other hand, time has a way of changing people’s outlook. This is not the same Montreal team Dumont turned thumbs-down on two years ago. I like Dumont, and think he would be a good fit if he wanted to be in Montreal, but I fear he could have “Briere Syndrome”.

39. Ice Man says:

You maybe right Tommy.

40. TommyB says:

I’ve seen yellow snow before. Oh, I was just foolin’ with you.

41. krob1000 says:

Thank You very much….I wasn’t sure if they were implying Huet and not Ryder may have been the reason the scouts were at the Flames game.

42. Ice Man says:

I’ve seen Smart Dog in here.

43. Ice Man says:

Don’t know exactly……..

44. Ice Man says:

I was just foolin with the bunch of you.

I hope that Huet plays great tonight.

45. coutNY says:

What about J.P. Dumont as anohter possiblity? He seems like a Habs-type player, also cheaper but does not have as much potential offensive upside…

46. TradeRyder says:

You’re making this stuff up.

What happened to the dog?

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

47. fuhgawz says:

the canadiens wed site says Huet is in net —- where are you getting your information from?

48. Infanteer says:

Paragraph by pgph translation.

1. 40 days til trade deadline.
    2. The big question for Bob Gainey . . . Can Price repeat his performance when won the Calder Cup for Hamilton?
    3. Huet has a high market value, can receive a “quality player” in return
    4. Not many trades have been made since the start of the season, but that may change with the upcoming trade deadline.
    5. “Observers” are expecting more trades at this year’s deadline than in the previous years.
    6, 7, 8. Trashing a Montreal “Radio Station,” indeed Montreal hockey-following “Media.” Nothing to do with Huet.

Hope this helps.

49. TommyB says:

krob, you are right. It was not Ryder involved in the Tanguay rumor before, but nonetheless, still sounds more like someone’s fantasy than fact. And I would agree, this would make more sense.

BTW, you caught me “changing on the fly”! I mistakenly posted a reply to the bottom comment up here, and quickly edited it into a comment on tonight’s game, while posting the reply down where it belongs.

Not quick enough, though, eh? LOL

50. krob1000 says:

Tanguay has also averaged a point per game or more each of the last three seasons. This year he is not but Huselius is taking many of his minutes.

51. TommyB says:

Price has been sent to Hamilton to get work….would make no sense to bring him up to backup Halak. Sure, price could be brought up to start tonight in place of Halak, but what would that say about the organization’s view of Halak? The last thing Price needs is to be yo-yo’d back and forth. When Price gets back in the groove he will be brought up for the long term.

52. Wops says:

Ryder for Tanguay actually makes sense whn you consider they could save 5 millions which could go towards resigning

and when you consider Kiprusoff new salary will kick in…

They need at least 6-7 millions just for Dion so.

A Ryder and a Pick for Tanguay…makes total sense money wise…

especially that 5 millions is overpaid for a 65 point guy…

and it makes sense for Montreal to get him since it will shut the french canadian media and he will be UFA next year, contract year = he will play good.
    CH is for Chris Higgins

53. krob1000 says:

I think this article from RDS today is discussing whether or not we are still looking at trading Huet at the deadline. Can someone please read it and tell me what it is saying.

54. krob1000 says:

When have you heard that before???I heard the Kovalev one but never Ryder. The scouts were at the game watching someone and Tanguay is the one who makes the most sense but it could be anyone and it could all mean nothing. All factors considered (calgary dumping dollars, Ryder UFA, struggling, not in Carbo’s plans, Ryders brother in the organization, Calgary needing cap space to sign Phaneuf and Huselius,etc ). Tommy you have to admit it makes more sense than most rumours we hear.

55. coutNY says:

That would make no since because Denis would have to pass through waivers… you had me until then???

56. TommyB says:

Thrahsers playing some better hockey of late. Not a team to be taken lightly…..well, we never do take anyone lightly, do we?

57. krob1000 says:

And what is that yellow on your iceman pic???

58. krob1000 says:

Where are you getting this stuff????

59. Ice Man says:

Get this. Danis is called up. Not Price.

60. coutNY says:

Of the Canadian Paralment?
    Mr. Islander is who I think the heritage in which he is referring.

61. krob1000 says:

Let’s now see how the best 5 teams in the league are doing Detroit-Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski
    Ottawa-Spezza, Alfreddson, Heatley
    San Jose-Thornton
    Anaheim-Getzlaf, Pronger, Niedermayer soon tob e Selanne
    Pittsburgh-Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar

I know I was one of the ones who said we need a superstar (not necessarily a top ten scorer). All of the top teams have a superstar…..Kovalev right now is playing like one I will gladly conced. The point is though you need at least one dominant playera dn usually more. Markov is also closing in on superstar status but he is still needing to be more consistent. If Kovalev and his line can continue at the rate they are going then maybe another top six forward is all we need along with a number 4 defenseman. I am well aware and have maintained all along that anything can happen in the playoffs but to feel confident going in those would be my prerequisites…..that and that the Wings play the Hawks and the Sens play the Capitals in the first round.

62. cautiousoptimist says:

I wonder if Eric Nystrom is related to Lorne? 🙂

63. coutNY says:

Humm this is where Halak needs to make his mark…this is where is started for him last year. Maybe he can spark the team with new energy…

??? what press resource is reporting this news; RDS usually on the forefront with these type of tid-bits?

64. cautiousoptimist says:

There have been some rumblings around about how we can’t compete without a top-ten scorer, but I’ve got to say, I don;t see the problem… We’ve got six or seven guys that will score at least 20 this year – not too many teams can say that – and Kovalev’s on track for nearly 40 goals and 80 points. Would you rather have one or two superstars and a supporting cast of B-actors and minor-leaguers? Let’s see how the league’s scoring leaders are doing:

Kovalchuk – 37 goals – ATL – 9th points-wise in the East
    Ovechkin – 34 goals – WSH – 13th in the East
    Iginla – 32 goals – CGY – 7th in the West
    Alfredsson – 29 goals – OTT – 1st in the East
    Lecavalier – 28 goals – TB – 15th in the East (dead last)

Aside from Ottawa, which is pretty fantastic throughout the roster, I’ll take our Habs over the rest any day of the week…

65. Ice Man says:

HOT just off the press.

HALAK in net tonight.

Huet came down with that flu that is going around. He is banned from the rest of the team until he gets better.

66. odber says:

well said,that,s the direction the team should be going in.If Ryder is to be traded lets get a player more in the Corson mould.We need a good corner man who can handle himself and chip in 20 to 30 goals.

67. coutNY says:

It’ll be hard for Nystrom make any sort of impact with the Habs much since his is on Injured Reserve as of Jan 11, 2008 (Broken jaw)… Probably won’t see action for 6-8 weeks or longer, could we afford that wait?

Nystrom has’t ever put up 20 goals even at the junior level… Stats look worse than Ryder’s do… I like youth but I’d rather get a good draft pick than trade for Nystrom… unless you know something about this guy… and I admit never seen him play.

68. krob1000 says:

He can preach it all he wants but Kovy pleks and Kostitsyn are as guilty as anyone of it and they are our best line. The problem comes when guys who aren’t skilled try to get too cute and lead to turnovers. As long as guys like Koivu , Kovy, Pleks, Sergei K (to some extent) manage to sloew the play once they cross the blue line and not have it result in turnovers they will be allowed. If they screw up though they will be held accountable. You are right and he should preach North/South but our most talented forwards are not bangers and crashers so these guys are not going to play a game that doesn’t suit them. OUr checking line is the epitomy of North/South as is Lapierre. I am not saying he doesn’t emphasize simple play because he should and probably does but the guys I mentioned above are good at what they do and it all comes down to making good decisions. Sometimes delays and cross ice passes make you look great other times they earn you a few ass splinters. You can’t deny that our top forwards are all very creative and tend to (and succeed) in their East/West game more oftent han not. We have two lnes built to battle and two lines built to pick apart defences.

69. G-Man says:

Carbo preaches North-South hockey. It’s 1 reason why Koivu isn’t on the same page as everyone else in the organization.
    he’s an East-West guy, too. Not a good fit here: Look at all the wingers that have tried to play with Koivu over the years. Put simply, it doesn’t work.

This game could be a tough go tonight. Last game of a four game road trip and the Thrashers are on a bit of a roll. Lehtonen stopped 46 out of 47 shots in Detroit last game. I don’t like that. I will raise the white flag as one of those guys who thought Recchi was washed up, although he probably is seeing a lot of ice time. Even so, he’s been playing great hockey. Atlanta now has two decent lines that they can throw at you. The good news is their defense is no great shakes.

I think there are a couple of lessons to be learned here for the Habs as they view this franchise. Altanta was desperate to make the playoffs and “make some noise” in the post season last year. So they sold their soul at the trade deadline. Those short term deals were a disaster and will cost them dearly for years to come. I trust that Gainey won’t panic in the same way.

On the other hand, Atlanta was patient waiting for a young defenseman to develop and have been rewarded with the great play of Enstrom who is only 22 years old. He’s the new quarterback in town. Hopefully, we will display the same patience with our young kids.

Final note to Carbo. If this game goes into overtime then I would suggest that you pull your goalie. The thought of facing these guys in a shootout makes me want to reach for the bottle – and it’s only ten in the morning.

The Original 24 Cups

71. krob1000 says:

They need cap space though for next year so why would they give up an affordable prospect when their number one concern has to be getting Phaneuf and Huselius signed for next year. Tanguay is not overvalued at 5.2 and is only under contract for one more year. We need another top six forward and he fits the bill. He has experience and is very consistent throughout his career. He is creative enough that he will fit in with our top guys who all like to play a little bit of East/West hockey. Even if this deal doesn’t happen in any form it at least tells me that we are shopping around and that can only be a good thing.

72. Ed says:

This is going to be a big challenge tonight. Our top scorer Kovalev has 20 goals and 43 points, while their top scorer Kovalchuk has 37 goals and 63 points. The big weakness that Atlanta seems to have is their +/- where most of their top scorers are in the minus category:
    Kovalchuk -6; Hossa (42 points) -10; White (30 points) -6; Holik -12; and McCarthy on defense -18.

We have improved a lot in our 5 on 5, but a team like Atlanta are very explosive, and hopefully this will not be one of their big nights. I think we have a much more balanced attack. The big thing that concerns me tonight is the line of Ryder -3, Smolinski -6, and Dandenault -9. Atlanta will definitely try to take advantage of them as soon as they play their first shift, by putting out Kovalchuk. I think that either the line combos are not going to last very long, or that line will see very little ice time. I hope I am wrong.

GO HABS GO !!!

73. TradeRyder says:

When you’re right, you’re right.

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

74. Sulemaan says:

Forget about Tanguay. Earlier this year when asked about that potential trade of Kovalev for Tanguay he said he didn’t want to come to Montreal. Maybe he said that because he didn’t want to be traded but we don’t need players who don’t want to be here.

Personally, I would trade Ryder for Eric Nystrom. He’s a young prospect. He’s from the same area in New York as Komisarek and Higgins and I believe they are friends. He’s got strong bloodlines. (His father wasn’t too bad a player.) He a good prospect with strong potential as a first rounder. And he fits our whole youth movement. He also fits the mold of a big strong winger.

Last but not least Nystrom won’t impact our salary cap like Tanguay would. With the money we would save on Ryder’s salary we could use that to resign Komisarek/Higgins to extensions or get another UFA a la Hamrlik in the off season. Whatever Gainey does, I have faith he’ll make the right decision.