Game 46: Habs solve Thrashers in shootout

Canadiens captain Saku Koivu beats Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen in the shootout for the game-winning goal.
Scott Cunningham, NHLI via Getty Images

Lineups
| Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog

Updated by Kevin Mio, new links added at 10 a.m.

For the third straight time this season, the Canadiens and Atlanta Thrashers needed a shootout to decide the outcome of their matchup.

After losing the first two times, 3-2, the Habs got goals from Andrei Kostitsyn and Saku Koivu in the bonus format to grab the extra point with a 3-2 win of their own on Thursday night. Cristobal Huet, whose puckhandling miscue resulted in Atlanta’s tying goal midway through the third period, stopped Vyacheslav Kozlov and Marian Hossa in the shootout to help make up for his mistake.

Hossa opened the scoring for the Thrashers on the power play at 18:49 in the first period after Ilya Kovalchuk’s dive resulted in a Francis Bouillon penalty. Andrei Kostitsyn got that one back five minutes into the second period with a highlight-reel goal after splitting the defence and beating goalie Kari Lehtonen with a quick backhand to the top corner.

Michael Ryder’s seventh goal of the season six minutes into the final frame put the Canadiens ahead 2-1, but Atlanta got that one back three minutes later. Miscommunication between Huet and Roman Harmlik resulted in a turnover and Pascal Dupuis scored into an empty net to tie the game 2-2

Montreal outshot Atlanta 29-24, including 28-19 in regulation time.

Atlanta was the final stop on a four-game road trip for the Canadiens, who return home with a 3-1 record. They face the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night.

1. Jim M says:

Cournoyer 12

Are you the fellow that posted during the summer, sometimes 10-15 times a day, and whined about the Habs not drafting Getzlaf instead of A. Kostitsyn? If I remember well, several aliases were used to repeat the same topic. I know someone else asked you this, but you never responded.

2. Habs_008 says:

I agree, you dont need to come on here and “tell”, what are you in Grade school. I dont think there is anything racist being said anyways, he is just saying that the French media is Harsh and very negative towards the habs, which they are at times.

3. Ed says:

Socks? What is the ;)? Is it a sad face with a black eye? I am fairly new to all this symbolism.

How come you have not responded to the rest of my comments?

4. Hoegarden says:

hi Timo,
    a bit of a catch 22 here (dumping bodies). I’ve mentioned before that so far this year, the Habs have been spared the headache of dealing with major injuries. Take a look at the BHawks and Avs. Sens are semi-struggling since Heatly got hurt the other day.

Spare bods are a good thing but who do we send down ? Begin is the one who is getting annoyed today (scratched again tonight although he’s ready to go) so your point is well taken.

On the other hand, I’d rather more than not enough. Some players know they can be replaced in a minute if they go into cruise mode. Of course Carbo has to keep everyone smiling with his juggling act but I wish my boss would give me the odd day off. We don’t want to discourage this year’s young Bulldogs to the big club but knowing BG and Carbo, they like the veterans on the team, just in case.

5. Moey says:

I’m going to stick my big horsey nose in here, this isn’t the first time you’re looking for Dave or Mike to give someone a spanking for annoying you. If you don’t like something, use the flag as offensive tab, you have to state your reason and it will be reviewed by the administrators. If they feel it is a valid complaint, they will take the appropriate action.

I’m just trying to help you out here, so please don’t get annoyed. Dave, Mike and Kevin have their hands full researching, writing and keeping this site fun and informative.

6. Shiloh says:

Every time he leaves the net it’s an adventure

7. idle says:

Welcome into the muck Gormdog :)

8. idle says:

Can you not get over last season yet? It happend and it’s done. You seem to bring this up often and each time you tell us that Halak should have started. So why are you not blaming Carbo then? And who says Halak would have won? Maybe you forgot he laid an egg himself the game before and that is what scared Carbo. My personal opinion is that I would have started Halak, but I did not see him every day and or know what his mindset was or how he looked in practice etc. Maybe you also should go back and look at the tape and see the whole team blew that game. And for that matter even if we won it so what? you think the next stop was the cup? We did not have enough debth or skill to compete. We are an improved team this year but unless we get hot at just the right time and go on a cinderella story run (anything is possible) we probably arn’t competitive enough this year either. The good news is we most definately are closer then we were before and we still have solid prospects up and coming.

9. TradeRyder says:

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad sheep! Baaaaaaaaaaaad!

Them’s fighten woids! True.. Koivu is not quite himself… but I wonder why.

But Higgins is probably the next wave of leadership… if he doesn’t go back to NY. Or Pleks.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

10. TradeRyder says:

Krob:

TANGUAY
    About Tanguay, sure, he’s good but I stand by my thought that we have a really strong set of up-and-coming forwards and because of that we should only trade for a big-money forward if his fit is so obvious it’s perfect. Tanguay (like I said) is also a left wing, and more a playmaker than goal scorer. For me, out of the choices you gave, I think Smyth or Briere would have been a better free agent signing, and Smyth especially would bring the kind of crash-the-net grit we need. Hard to say how they would fare here.

RYDER
    I don’t hate Ryder!!!! And in fact that’s one of the tough things. They guy seems so damned likable. And I actually think he WILL play better elsewhere… that’s possible. I’ve said from the start I think he’d be good on a Western team with a more physical game. And unlike Kovalev, Ryder’s history in the NHL is short and in the years he has done well offensively he has been criticized by coaches openly for his defensive play. This year, he’s more defensive but less offensive. It COULD be that he puts it altogether next year and scores 30 AND keeps up his D-game. In which case I would be wrong… (I’m stupid sometimes, but not stupid enough to think I am always right!) OR, it could be that he can’t do both, and so is a player with a big potential upside but brings some downside with him (a la Souray). Maybe we can agree to disagree and at some HIO event two years from now see who was right!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

11. TradeRyder says:

Good one Ed. ;) My spelling really socks!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

12. TradeRyder says:

Ian, did you notice that when Iceman arrived, black-dog disappeared?

Interesting eh?

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

13. Roy-Rules says:

Huet needs to stay the heck in his net for God’s sake.

14. von says:

Don’t worry about him Ice Man, his current favourite player is Gui!Gui!Gui! That should speak for itself.

15. Ian G Cobb says:

Hab Prof— Your quite correct, that is what great coaching is all about, the meshing of talent,teamwork and desire. CHEMISTRY ! It is an art to put it all together.

IAN

16. Puck Bard says:

- Tanguay for Ryder: Folly.

– Stay the course.

17. Ian G Cobb says:

Ya # 12–I,m with you . I don’t read the ice any more !!

IAN

18. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

What makes a player perform?

Of course raw skill, shooting and skating ability account for something, but usually an often overlooked variable is chemistry with ones linemates. Why are we seeing maximum success on some lines and only sporadic success on other lines? I believe its chemistry with ones linemates.

Lets analyze a few.

Kovalev is on track to have his best year since he play’d with Mario Lemiuex. Why? Most have pointed to his ‘renewed interest’, return to top form both physically and mentally, and a skill set that seems to be pulling new tricks out of the hat as needed…basically he has changed with the times (ie;new NHL). These facts are valid but I don’t believe they play such a great role as most think. I believe you needn’t look further than the CHEMISTRY of his linemates to see the root of success. At Kovalevs age and talent level he is naturally a leader. He wants to be heard and he wants to be followed…he wants respect but is smart enough not to ask for it…instead his actions demand it. But at the core of this ‘renaissance’ is the fluidity of his mentees. They are greatful to play with greatness, not just for the team, but for the progression of their own careers. Both AKOST and PLEK are well on track to having their career paths defined, and a tremendous amount of value must be placed on the Great Kovalevs contribution to that. So they are driven to perform and Kovy is happy to lead by example….and we’ve enjoyed witnessing the result.

Koivu it could be said is in a simular situation as Kovy. A veteran leader with boundless facets to respect, both on and off the ice. But when this battle scarred warrior was aligned with the sophomoricalness of the Ryder-Higgs tandem, the result was dismal. Both Ryder and Higgs have come of age and are now defining themselves along their own understanding of how their skills can shape the game (or lack of in Ryders Case this year). They this season looked less to Koivu for guidance and instead tried to drag the veteran into their mode of experimentation and erratic behaviour. Koivu has already passed that level of his game. he knows his game and therfore that tandem would not achieve maximum output. It was disbanded rightly by Carb.

Inserted were the young SKost and Latron. Now we have a simular composition to the Kovalev line. A veteran leading 2 ‘rookies’ who are LOOKING for leadership and guidance to help them DEFINE their careers. and thus we have seen some success…some CHEMISTRY.

When LAP was centered between Hig/Ryd we also saw a potential 3rd scoring line become formed, because LAP inserted an energy that awoke hig/Ryd and drove them to perform, but most importantly is that LAP saw an opportunity to emerge from the doldrums of a 4th line.

So, heres to hoping Carb resettles the lines with the success that we saw over the festive season…and more so that he UNDERSTANDS that CHEMISTRY is the key element that will make a winning team consistent.

The fusion of like-minded objectives will never meet defeat.

lat-koiv-skost
    kovy-plek-akost
    hig-lap-ryd
    dand-chip-kost/begin

komi-mark
    obryn-hammr
    bouil-/striet/gorges
    ———
    1. Kovalev, about being passed over for the All Star team said, “The Canadiens are my all star team”
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

19. TommyB says:

So it was 2 weeks after the Samsonov signing…man, too bad there!

20. TommyB says:

Ok, but I thought I remembered it as him not interested in Montreal…and we ended up with Samsonov. I thought that he would have been a good fit then, and an even better fit now.

21. originalsix says:

Yep, thats what they need to do, give him more ice time.

I had a gut feeling it was too soon to be putting him into the NHL at the start of the season. Hopefully he’ll get into his groove and excel at what he does best.

22. Gormdog says:

(First time poster, long, long, long time reader. Finally felt like i had to step out of the shadows)

Don’t think it’s really fair to put Price and Fleury into the same category, they have had very, very different careers up to this point.

Fleury was drafted #1 overall, literally the “savior of a dying franchise” before the days of Malkin Crosby and the rest of the wonder kids. Price was drafted 5th overall, to a franchise knee deep in goaltending talent, not in need of saving, but instead in need of a cup.

In the WJHC, Fleury choked with the famous O’Sullivan to Fleury to Coburn fiasco, leaving many to question whether Fleury is good enough to win the big game. Price led his WJHC team to a very smooth victory, leading many to believe that if you can put the right players in front of him, price is “the guy”.

Although he did become only the second Penguin ever to win 40 games, Fleury has been a major dissapointment in the eyes of the Pittsburg franchise and there have been attempts to run him out of town. Of course his confidence will be crushed. Now with Conklin playing lights out (I feel odd just writing that, like i’m in a parallel universe), Fleury might not even be “the guy” when he gets back.

Price, on the other hand, has faced very little strife in his career of late (Gold Medal, Hamilton Championship, winning a spot on the Habs at the age of 20), and is definitely not lacking confidence in his abilities a-la-Fleury. Heck, the only time he was really the true blue starter for the Habs, he handled the task quite admirably and played well in most of his games. He hasn’t even had the chance to take the reigns of this franchise and crumble beneath the pressure, so how can he be remotely Fleury-esque?

Theres a big difference between backbreaking pressure, and massive amounts of hype. Fleury got killed by the former… And Price will eat up the latter!

I would like to see him rotate through on the checking line with Dandy, Smolinski, and Tommy K. Keep everybody fresh and motivated. The main problem is that Smolinski is the only guy out of the four who can realistically handle the centre ice position. There’s also the issue of faceoffs and penalty killing. This approach would also help on defense as Streit could play there full time with Brisebois as the extra man.

The Original 24 Cups

24. Habs_008 says:

TSN is saying that Begin is set to return soon. Where would he fit in though?

25. von says:

Like every player, goalies have their moments of struggle. It’s how they respond that shows what their made of. I agree with Boone, I wouldn’t quite yet throw the towel on our “goalie of the future.”

He needs some time to settle down and clear his head after the last month of mis-treatment in Montreal. Price is the kind of goalie who needs to play, not be thrown in every 5th or 6th game and expected to perform when hes still green as far as playing in the NHL.

Let him work through this in Hamilton, and once he’s ready and the time is right, bring him back up. And most importantly; play him.

26. Ice Man says:

Are you talking to me #12?

If so. What did I say to insult you?

27. drecha says:

Just a few Leaf jokes that I got in an email, I thought you guys might enjoy these;

What does Toronto have that Montreal doesn’t?
    ……..Black and white photographs of their last Stanley cup

Where do Toronto players get their wives?
    ……Canadian Tire, where else do you get a leaf blower

What do the leafs and the Titanic have in common?
    ……….They both look good until they hit the ice

Why dont the Maple Leafs drink tea?
    …….Because the Canadiens have all the cups

Whats the difference between the Leafs and a cigarette machine?
    ………The cigarette machine has PLAYERS

GoHabsGo!!!

28. Jim M says:

Hi mjames,

I’ve been working, mostly. I’ve read the posts, but I haven’t bothered posting because of the way this site has been dis-organized since posters stopped addressing others by their name. Besides, the real season has just started. I noticed you haven’t posted as much as before either.

29. Ice Man says:

LETS GO TONIGHT MONTREAL.

LETS TRASH SOME THRASHERS.

30. G-Man says:

That $4.5 million being wasted on Koivu may come in handy in 2 years. Voila, money for Higgy and Komi.

Gilbert

31. von says:

It’s a fact, Huet has huge issues playing the Leafs. If you were watching the last game of the year, you would know Huet cost us that game. Anytime you lose a game when you’ve scored 6 goals… A great goalie would have closed the door. I think Huet still feels the effects from that night.

Halak should have started that game and we would have made the playoffs. They rushed Huet for the biggest game of the year, and he choked.

The Leafs have Huets number, whether you’re a fan of his or not.

Tonight will be a big test for Huey, hope he does well.

32. idle says:

Does anyone else think it’s funny that they call letting less then 30 shots a game in a ‘tight defence’. Well I guess they actually called it ‘tighter’ which it is but that would have to be tighter then the loosest hooker in Montreal.

33. Ed says:

Man, I am so sorry if I hurt your feelings. I was only pointing this out because he is your favourite player. You direct all of your comments at krob1000 and me. However, I think the only thing applicable to me is how you spell Plekanec, your favourite player. I did not comment on anything else. That was krob.

As for me saying that we will be sorry when Ryder is gone, I have never once said that. The team is playing well without him, and I don’t see that changing because he is gone. I think a move will be best for everyone as the coaching staff has no confidence in him, and a move would be good for him. I also feel he should be traded before the trade deadline, because he will walk after the year and then we will get nothing for him. I have even told you this before, but you conveniently forget it.

You are right. Kostitsyn is also hard to spell, and you got that wrong too. Sorry, I could not resist. (:

34. RiverviewCanadien says:

Well, if he is the type of character that can play in the NHL, he will bounce back. But look at what happened to Marc-Andre Fleury….same thing. Don’t rush things. He is just a kid and who knows, we might have to count on him for playoffs, he seems to do well in that category

Playoff Price?

35. krob1000 says:

I don’t know what Ed has to do with any of this and I make more typing mistakes then anyone on here….that is a guarantee. I don’t know what I misquoted anymore than your misquote of “my boy Ryder” and we don’t need to delve into our past debates. I just don’t understand how 5 million is too much for a point a game guy. I don’t care if anyone is sorry when he is gone as long as we win. I do not think Ryder is great but he is definitely underrated by people like yourself and some guy who coaches our club. I think he is underused and will succeed elsewhere and I also think he would succeed here if he was back on the powerplay again where he belongs.

Tanguay would be a great addition to any club and his salary is not inflated and only has one more year on it. I notice noone answered my challenge to find better free agent siginings for the same or similar money in response to my listing of Briere, Smyth, Gomez, Drury, etc. I am not picking on you anymore than anyone who is ignoring the fact that Tanguay would help us (it likely won’t happen anyway).

Kovalev was wrose than Ryder last year what did you think of him??? One bad year is no reason to hate a guy. I can make up excuses all I want and regardless of their validity. Gainey also said he has not given up on Ryder.
    Bonk is lighting it up somewhere else but he has 11 goals and 8 assists and is minus 15 (defensive juggernaut!). Johnson just got waived.

36. originalsix says:

Man you gotta feel for Carey Price.

These last two games he’s played, horribly beaten.

I heard on the radio (CJAD 800) this morning that Bob Gainey was present at the Peoria game where Price got hammered. Kid must feel horrible. I wonder what mind-set he’s in now and hopefully his confidence isn’t ruined a la Raycroft.

37. Moey says:

Agreed, Huet is the better goalie. But Iceman and Derek are right, Huets’ track record against the leafs is lousy. We only started beating them this year when we switched Huet for Price. Technically it doesn’t make sense, but it changed the dynamics for some unknown reason. Halak should be in nets against the leafs.

38. RiverviewCanadien says:

Again with the negative comments. Huet is the better goalie. Price cannot figure out AHL teams right now…He will not be back (well should not be) for the rest of the season.

39. TradeRyder says:

Hey Krob! I love both you and Ed! You guys are soooooo helpful. I think I must be the first person EVER to misspell Plekanec! Thanks Ed!

You guys need to rely on misquoting me and making fun of little typing mistakes to deal with the fact that Ryder really just isn’t so good. It makes me laugh!!!

About Tanguay… I didnt’ say he’d tie our hands. And I did say a trade is a good idea. But I said let’s wait for someone who seems IDEAL.. and I listed logical reasons why Tanguay is not. And yes we need a sniper – I mean on that scores more than 3 or 4 by the half-way point. See the thing about a sniper is how MANY goals he scores, and whether he makes use of his time on the ice.

You guys think Ryder is great. I think he’s way over-rated. You think we’ll be sorry when he’s gone. I think we won’t. Fair enough?

In terms of plus leaders last year. Perezhogin, Plekanec, Komiserik is a good start and makes sense. Johnson played GREAT D for us last year… Kostitisyn is another of my favorite players because he plays a full game (and his name is also hard to spell). Markov… I think I’ve heard of him and Bonk – gee, last I heard he was lighting it up someplace else. Yadda…. now you’re in the middle of the pack. Plus-minus isn’t the only stat, but it’s useful. And it’s why some guy named Bob Gainey called your boy Ryder a “defensive disaster”. LOL

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

40. krob1000 says:

The Flames game on TSN last night pointed out that Trevor Timmins and Roberts were at the game and the panel all figured(Mckenzie, Dreger,etc) the best explanation was examining a Tanguay for Ryder swap. Could be nothing as they have been seen at other games (Pittsburgh, San Jose,etc) but they explained it as a salary dump for Calgary to make room for Phaneuf and Huselius. It makes sense fromt hat perpective and for many other reasons if you read this whole thread. There are other guys I’d rather have too if given a choice but there are so few players available anymore.

41. habsgod says:

hi guys i’m seeing all this stuff on here about ryder for tanguay !!where was this mentioned ?is it even being considered?i hope so!!this would be a great deal for us!!our lines will become even more balanced and more dangerous and will give us a true second line with koivu,tanguay,latendresse!!

42. krob1000 says:

So then I guess you are saying trade noone. Should consider a name change then. We need someone and that is a fact. By the time our young corps is in full bloom will be in possession of a Koivu, Kovalev, Hamrlik who are all two years older. I think next year is the best year to start making a big move while those guys are still productive. There are tons of guys I would prefer to Tanguay but I would be happy if it was him.

How much do you seriously consider Plekanec, Higgins or Komisarek to be worth???? Do you honestly think that having a 5 million dollar signing is going to handicap us. If that is the case than we are not in as good of shape as we like to think we are. Tanguay has been more productive in his last three seasons than our best Hab in any one of them. I have never been a Tanguay fan either but I would be if he played here. We pay several guys aroud the same money Tanguay is making but we have not had anyone post more than a point per game in recent memory.

You really amze me at times TRADERYDER. “What we really need is a sniper” from a guy named traderyder……hmmm. Last year Kovalev was -19, Koivu was -21, Higgins -11, Lats -20 so I don’t think Ryder was alone. Should we trade those guys??

Here is a list of last years top plus minus leaders for us.

1. Perezhogin 2. Plekanec, 3.Komisarek 4. Mike Johnson 5.Kosititsyn 6.Markov 7. Bonk. 8. Grabovski 9. Milroy 10. Samsonov. 11.Gorges 12.Streit 13.Downey

What a stat!!!! I wonder if we have not amde some serious mistakes then if that stat is so important.

43. Moey says:

Derek, Ice man,

Good points, has to be Halak in goals.

44. Ed says:

In your profile, you list Plekanec as your favourite player, but you spell it as Plekanic. I notice you have done it in your post as well. I thought I’d just point this out since he is your favourite player.

Tomas Plekanec #14

45. RH says:

Four years for muder. Sounds about right, under Canadian law. What did Danny Heatley get again? Maybe Ramage shoulda hired Heatley’s lawyer.

46. Derek says:

If Halak plays, Leafs won’t win. Look at how he played against them last season. Remember that crucial shootout we won near the end of last season? Andrei K. won that one for us along with Halak. As long as Huet doesn’t play them (for some reason he sucks against them), we have a good chance.

47. Ice Man says:

Oh Teach relax. Don’t be so up tight. You need a sense of humour there man.

Hey kRob – When you checkout the Lousy Leaf players (on your afore mentioned site) with no trade clauses, you really get a feel for just how tough it will be to turn the Leafs around. Don’t worry though, Cliff Fletcher is on his way!!!

The Original 24 Cups

49. Ice Man says:

Now that Price is not up with the Habs you can add The Montreal Canadiens to that list. They will beat the Habs without price.

50. TradeRyder says:

Here’s the OTHER side of things:

Tanguay might get more than 5 million. But do we sign him and lose Higgins or Komi when they come up together? Or Plekanic? We have enough young guns that are stepping up and because they are young and home-grown we can do as good, almost, or better for less money. Also, Tanguay is a left wing – that’s where we’re fullest, and he’s not a sniper, he’s a passer. We need snipers. So he’s not the IDEAL trade, and we’re fairly strong in goal-scoring so we should wait for the ideal trade, someone just too good to pass up.

As for Ryder being so great… yadda, yadda, the guy was given all the chances in the world until a few weeks ago. He had plenty of PP time and ice time and after a dozens of games where his performance was an issue he was not performing so gets less. That’s how professional sports works. Add to that that in his two big seasons he was either the minus leader or 1-point from it and you can say that he CAN score but not this year, and when he DOES he still needs to prove he can play a decent D game while scoring lots of goals. Enough of players who come with big negatives attached. Give me a solid 20-goal guy who also plays responsible hockey all the time… .and we have a bunch of those, and they’re getting better.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

51. JF says:

Two years ago Dumont was trying to work out a deal with Buffalo. By the time it fell through and he was available, we had signed Samsonov. Too bad… I think he’d fit well on our team.

52. fuhgawz says:

told you read my post below

Habs-Kat – To me, this is another example of a young player that may have been rushed to the NHL too early. He also had some injury problems in the early going. Lots of skill, grit, and determination. I’m not sure that Columbus would give up on him just yet but I agree, can’t hurt to inquire. Let’s see, who have we got to trade? Give me a R….!

The Original 24 Cups

54. idle says:

Yes, but it is still politics isn’t it. Unless I am missing something I can’t figure out why his name being Smith would make a difference.

55. The Teacher says:

I’m not a fan of Tanguay..never was…he’s not worth anything close to 5 million…that’s my opinion.

56. Moey says:

Off-topic, but I heard this on the radio this morning, thought it was funny.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS REVISED 2008 SCHEDULE

March
    5 vs. Ontario VD Clinic Post #3
    12 vs. Church Street Boy’s Choir
    19 vs. Korean War Amputees
    26 vs. VA Hospital Polio Patients

57. krob1000 says:

Let me make some things clear here…I have never been sold on Tanguay and when there were rumblings of him for Kovalev I was very concerned. We have a good player in Ryder who is being underused. (Darren Dreger last night called him a power play specialist and said he was slumping and having a terible year……well first off he doesn’t play the power play and when he does it is the end of the power play and the puck is obviously not in the zone or there would be no reason to change players). Ryder is a UFA at the end of the season. We will likely not sign him although I wish we would. We could definitely use another big scoring weapon and Tanguay could be that guy.

THAT 65 POINT GUY STATEMENT IS COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. He has averaged a point per game more for the last three seasons. In the last three seasons we have not had one single guy that has averaged a point per game in any season. If Tanguay goes ont he open market he will likely get more than 5 million per season as a simple result of the supply and demand world that is free agency. With how difficult trades are these days this move could be a way to get a top player without competing against the other teams that will overpay. Tanguay has a no trade clause http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm but may be willing to waive it to go back to Quebec (pure speculation).

Bottom line is if we can add a player like this to our team we should especially if we only give up a player we never use properly anyway. I am fine with keeping Ryder but I would rather see a trade like this than give him away for a draft pick or lose him for nothing.

Rob Ramage was just sentenced to 4 years in jail for drunk driving and the related death of Keith Magnuson.

The Original 24 Cups

59. The Teacher says:

not really a joke topic…to tell you the truth… :S

60. Bill H says:

“Oddly, J.P. Dumont is EXACTLY tied with Hossa as the 8th most likely to be traded player, also with a 76.1 rating, and is rumoured to Detroit 35%, Montreal 25%, Buffalo 20%, and staying in Nashville 20%”
    Not the most reliable site. Sometimes I think he creates rumours so as to create interest and more hits. Nothing happening today? Gee, why not start a rumour about a Kovalev trade?

61. The Teacher says:

I don’t know, isn’t he French as in France.

62. Jim M says:

Mr. Aliasses

I hope you send that letter and that you are not kidding about it. My wife is French-Canadian(I’ve known about it from the beginning of our relationship, unlike you about yourself), and I’d bet anything that Teacher speaks 2, but probably 3, languages. Please find one thing I’ve said that was anti-French. Give it up! You have been outed!

63. krob1000 says:

point per game guys are not worth 5 million????Gomez got 7 million, Briere more, Smyth, Drury, Ribeiro. I think you guys are not taking into consideration the market that actually exists today. Some guys are bargains because they have breakout seasons while under contract and other guys are bargains after bad seasons but that is a fair value for a guy like that in todays , market and I am not sure how people are not seeing that. Can someone please find me a similar player for less money as a free agent signing. The pickings are slim and players are overvalued during the free agent frenzy. To get a guy like Tanguay via trade would be cheaper than if he were on the market.

64. The Teacher says:

Tee, good advice.

I’m taking it.

65. showey47 says:

you are correct 24 cups, we had already signed samsonov and had neither the cap space or roster spot for him. Dumont only became available after buffalo walked away from an abritration ruling about 2 weeks after the samy signing. Ah what could of been.

66. Habs-Kat says:

Random thought: Bob should inquire about the availability of Gilbert BrulĂ©, picked right after Carey Price by the Blue Jackets in the Crosby draft. I remember Pierre McGuire hollering that the Canadiens should’ve picked him or Luc Bourdon.

He played 31 games this season with four points, and got sent down to play in the AHL for the first time. He’s a point-per-game player down there.