Game 45: First-period outburst enough for Habs

Canadiens’ Travis Moen falls over Rangers’ Steve Eminger during the second period on Saturday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Brian Gionta | Mathieu Darche | James Wisniewski | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens continue to give up the first goal, but still managed to defeat the New York Rangers 3-2 on Saturday night at the Bell Centre.  The Rangers scored seven minutes into the game when Brian Boyle wrenched home a puck that Carey Price thought he had frozen. It was Boyle’s 15th goal of the season. But the Canadiens would scored three times before the first period was over, with two of those coming on the power play. Roman Hamrlik tied the game 1-1 when his shot from the point went off the skate of a Rangers defenceman and between the legs of a screened Henrik Lundqvist at the 13:19 mark.Less than two minutes later, Tomas Plekanec scored his 14th of the season after accepting a pass from P.K. Subban with a skate and lifting a shot over an outstretched Lundqvist. At 16:03, Andrei Kostitsyn, who had been mired in a slump and met with head coach Jacques Martin on Friday, blasted a shot from the slot over Lundqvist and showed a rare burst of emotion after scoring his 11th of the season. There was further no scoring until 6:57 of the third period when Mats Zuccarello scored his second of the season after a nice pass from behind the net by Derek Stepan.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens killed off a 6-on-4 disadvantage for the last 1:05 of the game when Hal Gill was called for hooking and the Rangers had an empty net.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record improved to 25-17-3 for 53 points, within two points of the Boston Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next:
The Calgary Flames are in town on Monday before the Canadiens travel to Buffalo on Tuesday night. The Canadiens are then in Ottawa on Friday and back home to take on Saku Koivu and the Anaheim Ducks next Saturday.

1. TomNickle says:

When he gets traded next week you’re gonna start worrying

2. TomNickle says:

I can handle it fine but my bathroom hates me in the morning!

3. dre1744 says:

i want too go  but ticket prices  that i found  are ridiculous

4. zak says:

5 plus mil a year

5. zak says:

We already have one d-man who can’t skate

6. mike g says:

Tommy boy, whats up?? Long time since weve spoken… So, have u started saving for our outing?? Because i think im running away with it!! Lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

7. jimmy shaker says:

Tom, you may be the second most interesting man in the world!

Stay thirsty my friend……I can’t handle the hard stuff anymore, only ice cold bevies for this chap nowadays.

Cheers,

Shaker

8. WestHab says:

Crown

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

9. TomNickle says:

I went from a drunken internet poster to a connoisseur in a heartbeat it seems!  :)

10. WestHab says:

Benny has been the major part of the offence lately, despite those penalties.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

11. WestHab says:

I think Regehr has a ntc, so he’d want to come here.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

12. WestHab says:

yes, lets do it. He’s in your face gritty.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

13. HUDSONHAB says:

I don’t care what anybody says but I feel that a lot of things that get called against the Habs don’t get called against other teams.

Just so you don’t think I’m just whining, I realize that by the letter of the law, the calls are usually actually penalties. They just seem to arbitrarily call them when they choose.

….Hab4life….

14. jimmy shaker says:

I like him….a big tough D-man, a past cup winner with carolina…..I guess we can put Picard on waivers, send weber back down and play him with spacek or reunite the two czech vets and get commodore and wiz together.

Still would like Regehr first, but this could work.

Shaker

15. Mr.Bell says:

4 – 2 Habs! Pleky gets the empty netter to seal the deal!

Once a Habs fan Always a Habs fan! GO HABS GO!

The Weiserhood.  He was always weiser.

There’s always a bottle in my liquor cabinet.

17. HUDSONHAB says:

I know this is now old news by now but I just love saying it. BRUINS LOSE !!!

….Hab4life….

TN – Now I understand how you write some of your posts:-)

19. oldrrty says:

After his performance on Wednesday I would hope that Pouliot is in the press box. I can’t believe that he did not suffer limited ice time after three penalties where at least two of them resulted in goals.

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

20. dre1744 says:

Ravens  21   Steelers 7    I’m loving it!!!!!!!!!

21. TomNickle says:

Weisers, always Weisers.

22. habsonly says:

Cool,

Mike McPhee is just the type of player we are in need of, actually could use a  Brian Skrudland type as well.

23. Chuck says:

Just think of the money that they’re saving!

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

24. HUDSONHAB says:

I guess my point is that goaltending has been the constant. It’s the wundering why the goals are not coming when we get the chances that burdens me. In this system you are suppose to play it close to the vest and strike when the other team gets frustrated and complacent.

I think it is hard to sqeeze your stick and play hard defencively then turn around and use soft, calm hands to place the puck into the net.

….Hab4life….

25. habsonly says:

Heres hopin the Habs can finish tonight, more than 2 goals would be nice.

Price will do his part, what is needed is an offensive breakthrough tonight, we are due.

Remaining hopefull.

GO HABS GO!!!

26. aemarchand11 says:

Mike Commodore on re-entry waivers? 1.6 Million isn’t bad for a big physical guy. I mean if Hal gill can skate with our defense so can Commodore. We need a physical presence back there..

2010-2011

27. Lazarus_taxa says:

Fail!

28. zak says:

Karri Ramo voted to the KHL all star game

29. Dwayne33 says:

I was just reading the article below about Mike Mcphee. What a great read. He was my favorite player back in the mid and late 80’s. I was very fortunate to meet him at a celebrity golf tournament hosted by Gerard Gallant in Summerside, PEI (I am pretty sure it was the summer of 1989, maybe 88). I was wearing my Mike Mcphee jersey and I met him on one of the golf holes. He approached me and my family(my parents and two younger brothers were with me) and came over to introduce himself. What a perfect gentleman. He invited us to walk the next few holes with him and we talked about hockey and the great Stanley Cup run of “86, of course. The highlight of the day was he let me wear his Stanley Cup ring while we were with him. What an honor it was. Of course, my mom took a shitload of pictures, which is really nice to have, seening that he wouldn’t let me keep the ring.LOL. Just wanted to share my story to let everyone know there are some great  men that play or played our great game of hockey!

30. adam76 says:

HE should have been moved down in November.

31. adam76 says:

Got ya – was worried you would be ut before the Habs game.  Whats your brand?  I do CC 12 year on the rocks.

32. Everlasting1 says:

Oh right, it’s the Rangers again tonight…where are those caffeine pills…

33. Sportfan says:

Baha poor cage au sport think about it 5 goals 8 wings they are going to have to change it to 3 goals get wings :P

34. sholi2000.com says:

Dubinsky-  Hey REF, can’t you see Suban is bigger and stronger than I am, how bout a #$#&$# call here

REF-  HEY Dubs, you just got beat by a rook!  Suck it up buttercup.

They Call Me Shane

35. newbrunswick troy says:

Can tonight be the night, can it????

Will we see the habs actualy score more than once or twice if were lucky….Oh please God please give us the fortitude to pot maybe just maybe a 3rd  or even a 4th goal ……Oh what am i saying ….i know good old J.M would punish any hab who tried to press for a 3rd or 4th goal!!!

36. TomNickle says:

I think Pittsburgh will play the winner of the NFC game tonight Ian.

37. TomNickle says:

Day, not game.  And the third quarter of that football game will be starting somewhere around 11pm eastern time tonight.

Enjoy Tom, I think New England goes to the super.

39. jimmy shaker says:

Just looked at so called slewfoot dirty play (tortarella/dubinsky) play by PK on dubinsky on youtube……Even though it only showed the so called slewfoot from the back angle it still looked like dubinsky actually had PK’s arm pinned against his own body in order to try and fool the stripes into thinking PK was holding him.  With dubinsky  going down and pinning PK’s arm and getting him off balance, Pk’s leg came through and as soon as dubinsky felt that contact, he really embelished it. Then Torts and dubinsky go on the air and call it dirty and dangerous…..what a bunch of gutless cowards.  A front on angle would’ve helped out a lot better, but I don’t think PK slewfooted him in the least.  If PK did, dubinsky would’ve fallen alot more awkwardly.  What do you all think?

Shaker

40. SmartDog says:

Martin does a lot of  things right or he wouldn’t be here.

But every NHL coach does a lot of things right.  The truly great ones, the ones that win Stanley Cups do more things right, are a better fit with their team, know how to mentor and prod, and scare – or whatever is needed to get the best out of their players.  What bothers me most about JM is he seems to be a one-trick pony when it comes to player motivation, and it’s an old, tired trick at that. He’s yesterday’s man, but these are tomorrows kids.

——-

41. TomNickle says:

If I have it was good enough that I don’t remember trying it.

42. adam76 says:

I like Rye – but more then a bottle per game?

43. TripleX says:

OK, ok.  Forget it!   :)

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

44. Habnofear says:

Add in Pyatt for Colton Orr…done deal!

45. TomNickle says:

I’m sure I’ll be working on my second bottle of whiskey by the third quarter of the Packers/Falcons game tonight Ian.  Been a tradition to put a bottle away ever since the Packers beat the 49ers in the NFC championship in 97.  Makes the heart breaking plays easier to deal with……cheers.

46. gatorhabs says:

And the month before, against Carolina….

47. zak says:

Go to Habsaddict.com Good article

48. JD_ says:

As I do yours. Even better, I have no particular qualms with your writin’ style.

I don’t know, try squintin’ or somethin’.

Cheers.

49. JF says:

You’re right, I do.  And, apart from the -in’, I enjoy your posts.

50. JD_ says:

It’s an affectation I employ to irritate people.

Havin’ said that, I have no doubt you have more pressin’ concerns in life, Jane.

51. jennifer1984 says:

Pittsburg is beating Boston right now. 3-2….3 mins left.

keep those fingers crossed.

Ya, but I have been enjoying some of my home made wine. Things change with great wine.!

53. JF says:

A probably irrelevant question: why do you write -ing as -in’?  It comes across as affectation and is highly irritating.

54. joshua94k says:

“I got a feeling, tonight’s gonna be a good good night, I got feeling, oo hoo”

Price will be sharp, Subban will intimidating, the Wiz will be dominating on the powerplay, and Cammalleri will score a hat trick.

55. HUDSONHAB says:

Max Pac just got four minutes for getting hit from behind and getting blockered to the head. That’s fair.

….Hab4life….

56. fbkj says:

last month in new jersey

i was there… was funny

I think there is enough time to finish one more bottle of wine before the game, maybe, just maybe they will play as a unit for 60 min.

58. fbkj says:

nah

hes not producing as some would like, but hes resposible out there, plus its funny to see the troglodytes throw hissy fits about it

59. habs001 says:

nice positive post but the team has not shown to be a scoring team now for their last 140 games. my concern is that if you dont score it will catch up with you and you may play great but lose a playoff series because you lost 4 games by 1-0,2-1 type scores…every game is life and death and over a season and even worse over a couple of playoffs series you have nothing left like vs the flyers last year…we are usually tied or in one goal games in the third …now in a playoff series you can win those games and sweep the series but just as easily get swept but the chances are if you are a low scoring team and have great d play you probably are looking at 6-7 game series and by the third round you have nothing left…i give our team credit in what they have done in other elements of the game because in most seasons if you team is around 27th in goals per game % after 40 games the chances are you are in a lottery pick position…

60. TripleX says:

You kinda answered your own question.  This is a team that does not score more than a couple of goals a game.  If the goalie does not play spectacular ( in essence wins the game ), this team more often than not, will lose.

Under the “system”, the margin for error is minute and the pressure on all the players to play perfect defensive hockey is immense.  As we saw in last year’s playoffs ,when everything clicks it is a formidable opponent.  My belief is that it is simply too hard mentally and physically to play this “system” over 82 games.  Carey has to play perfect almost every game and over a season has to be debilitating.

Simply be the law of averages, EVERY team should benefit from a blowout easy win a few times in the season.  Even the Leafs, Islanders and Oilers have had more than one of these games.  When is the last time the Habs have had such an easy win?

61. CanadienBoy says:

Should Eller be send down to the Dogs ?,work wonders for Pacioretty.

62. Da Hema says:

I am confused. Below you wrote the Habs will kick the shite out of the Rangers. Now you are doubting whether they can do so. Which of these positions do you hold? One cannot sustain both simultaneously (unless you are the poster Manapart).

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

63. habsgod says:

i was another site under a different user name that i go by and a leafs fan posed this question to me?( the user name i go by on that site btw is lafleur10) he asked me if we’d trade akostitsyn to him for tomas kaberle,if we’d do it!i told him that i’d do that trade in a minute and that if gauthier could fleece burke for kaberle by giving up kostitsyn ,i told him to tell burke to call pierre and get it done! what do you guys think?

After the last meeting, if we do not kick their butts tonight,  then we are toast as a team this year.

65. HUDSONHAB says:

Why is there such a debate on here about the goaltender? The problem is scoring goals. How many 6-5 games have there been. I am pretty sure there have been a few 3-0 L’s and 3-2, 2-1 games.

….Hab4life….

66. Da Hema says:

It would appear so. Some posters here think the Habs will win by putting Alex Auld in net tonight and calling up Gabriel Dumont and Kyle Klubertanz.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

If you want to fight, go to flakiie Cherry’s site.

But if you want to enjoy a good shit kicking of the Rangers tonight, stay truned to this page,!!!

68. Jonson says:

No way we are gonna lose tonight. Montreal has a good team, the goals will come. As long we score more than them ill be happy. As for Cammy… he will start scoring, he has always been very streaky so i expect him to break out soon. I dont know why everyone is so worried about this team, its a character group they can get through anything. They are not going to struggle to make the playoffs, they will prob win their division or finish 4th or 5th. Gotta go with Price tonight, he has been playing great. i would like to see Eller back with POuliot on the 3rd line, but JM doesnt seem to see the chemistry.

69. JD_ says:

First Soobie slewfoots Doobie on Tuesday, then durin’ Thursday’s Nucks matchup, Alex Burrows tries to castrate Marc Staal. And NY Rangers head coach Jonathan “The Paper Italian”* Tortorella was havin’ none of it. Followin’ the game, Torts commented that, like Staalsy retaliatin’ by swingin’ his stick at Burrito’s skate, he would also have tried to break the guy’s ankle.

Somehow, I have difficulty imaginin’ JM throwin’ out somethin’ like that durin’ a post-game press conference.

Ken “Brett Hull’s Skate Was In The Crease” Hitchcock was interviewed by Randy “I Dunno” Tieman on Team 990 a couple of days ago. Hitch had high praise for JM, who he’s worked with, notin’ Martin has succeeded in doin’ what a lot of successful coaches do, which is to completely cut off the emotional aspect of the game and analyze it objectively.

No kiddin’. Like a Mormon trippin’ on Percocet®. With his little notepad. Admit it, he’s utterly adorable.

Hopefully, JM’s written somethin’ down regardin’ discipline and we won’t have to watch more of that endless trekkin’ to the box that has become very gratin’, of late.

And I’d like to be served up a tasty helpin’ o’ Veal Tortorella tonight, together with a nice bottle of Pinot Averio.

* The hell do I know where it comes from. It was on his Wikipedia page. Maybe he put it there. Far as I know, his real nickname is “A-Hole”.

70. Propwash says:

So, the general consensus is, everything Jacques Martin does is wrong?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

71. Chuck says:

I’ve got a feeling about tonight. We’ll pot a couple of early ones, and go from there.

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

72. Kimberly2u says:

I would love to see the Habs make the playoffs but you have to score to win a game, and if it takes 3 periods before they can get one goal it’s not good.  We have too many loses right now and every game if very important.  There is nothing we can do about our small players…they are small and we have to deal with it but like I said above we need to score.  The other problem we have is taking too many penalties….the game the other night was awful…how can we take so many penalties and expect to win a game?  I still will be cheering for our habs tonight but I’m not quite certain it’s going to be  a good game..I hope I’m wrong.

73. habs365 says:

I hope I’m wrong..I don’t feel good about the Habs getting a win tonight..Rangers have a better offence than the Habs..and like someone said earlier..you can’t expect cammy and pleks to do the scoring all the time..that’s been mainly it…

74. Duracell3 says:

Same kind of thinking that won Makarov the Calder.

75. keepthefaith says:

While i agree on Picard being a vet of sucking, i dont agree on Cammy. Sure Hal Gill is important but we only have one guy capable of scoring 40 goals a year and that s cammy.

76. TomNickle says:

If you’re talking about capabilities you’re wrong.  Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec and Kostitsyn are all capable of doing it.  Gionta and Plekanec are the only two willing to put in the work that it takes to do it and funny that they are the only two of the four who consistently play their best hockey when the puck isn’t on their stick or the offensive zone.

Potential is the most over used word in sports.  It carries far less weight than most think.  Who has more skill, Cammalleri or Iginla?  Cammalleri hands down, but who has 50 goal seasons on their record?  Not Cammalleri.

77. keepthefaith says:

No way Pleks or AK scores 40. They have never been close. Cammy would have last year if he didnt get hurt. He s our most potent sniper by far. Iggy and Cammy are not compareable. Two totally different players.

78. TomNickle says:

He hasn’t played 200 NHL games Adam.  I suppose the labeling of a veteran is subjective, but less than 3 full NHL seasons worth of games isn’t a veteran in my opinion.

79. adam76 says:

5 seasons at the pro level, what would you call him, a rookie?

80. TomNickle says:

I would call him a young player who’s yet to catch on with a team for a full time roster spot.

81. keepthefaith says:

If you read my post , i said LAST year. It obvious he is not playing his best this year. No way Pleks scores 40 goals ever in his career . He is an all round player. Cammy is a sniper. Gionta works hard for his goals, Cammy has a natural ability to score that no one else on this team has.

82. adam76 says:

That my friend, is a mouthful.

83. TomNickle says:

I’ll politely disagree and say that Pacioretty and Kostitsyn both have the ability to score 40.  But you’re still missing my point.  The ability to do it and the will to do it are two different things.  Cammalleri may have the ability but he doesn’t have the desire.  And because of that, a player who is a leader, works his ass off, and is our best penalty killer among defensemen is more valuable in my eyes than a player who can score goals but doesn’t want to put in the work or effort to do so.

84. TomNickle says:

Yeah but I think it’s fair to say that a player who is 25 years old is not a veteran.  Especially when they don’t have three full seasons’ worth of regular season games under their belt.

85. keepthefaith says:

Max Pac im still not sold on .AK for sure has the abiltiy , but if you want to talk about a guy not doing for some reason, he’s the guy. Gill and Cammy are valuable in different ways. We need them both ( or both types of that player). Im not sure what it is with Cammy this year but last year i dont believe he was ever knocked for lack of effort.

86. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri would have scored 40?  Based on?  He has 12 goals in 41 games this season.  Plekanec has 13.  Kostitsyn has 10.  Gionta has 15.

It stands to reason that if Cammalleri’s capable of it, the other three are as well.

Different players can be compared.  My point is that skill and ability can produce results but certainly aren’t a pre-requisite.  Cammalleri should outscore Iginla every year, but he doesn’t because Iginla plays like he cares.  Cammalleri doesn’t and because of this doesn’t produce elite results.

87. adam76 says:

A 5 year vet who is a steady D man when used correctly.  Just like your take on Eller, you are wrong about Picard.

88. Bugs says:

Best Hab comix intro link. Few months old.

Here is better usage (imo) of the Mind Heist tune: Ghostbusters trailer.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

89. DarthWade says:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is the mighty Canadien who is the protector of us all:

Don’t YOU feel safe now?

The Wiz gets another two points. Sign him please.

Does anyone know if the little “comic book movie” about the Habs that plays before the game is available anywhere online?

90. Duracell3 says:

Their division seems to get followed in the playoffs, especially when they win it, or are in the finals, kinda like last year, and the year before, and the year before…. As opposed to our Division, that hasn’t had a cup since 93′. Come to think of it, every division but the southwest has had a cup since then. Must be hard to have to play the leafs and sens 12 times.

91. fbkj says:

lol oh irony

92. jennifer1984 says:

i have a bum heart, i shouldn’t be watching this!!!

93. Danno says:

Chucky, i just love italic food!

Hey badaboom badabing!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

94. adam76 says:

This team NEEDS to work on faceoffs.  Cot damn.

95. Psycho29 says:

Phew…..That’s a bit too close!!!!!!

96. Jonson says:

MOntreal’s powerplay is amazing tonight, lundqvist is just awesome !

97. Everlasting1 says:

What a total domination of a 3rd period! Eked that one out.

98. tricolore says:

As they all will be moving forward, a critical 2 points gained tonight. Loved those first 2 periods. Hate or Like him, Henry the Great kept his team more than in it, and showed superb leadership. While Price makes me very nervous handling the puck, he made some big saves late to get the ‘W’. Too bad Eller couldn’t get one on that counter towards the end.

Vive le Tricolore!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

99. slapshot777 says:

Habs after the second goal, just sat back and played passively. The Ranger just keep dumping it in. The Habs players rather than fire it off the boards or glass tried to be cute with it. Main thing is we got the win. A win is a win 2 points and 0 for the Rangers. All that counts.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

100. Jordio-oh says:

Thanks to Carey Price.

101. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s cobra commander in a Habs uni.  WTF?

102. Pieboy says:

Chuck, nice job tracking down the author of this racist garbage.

103. 123456 says:

wtf no penalty on lundquit?

104. punkster says:

Did you watch the first two periods? They were lights out on the F/Os. Crapped the bed in the third at crucial times but overall pretty good. 27 w and 25 lost. Is that so bad?

***Subbang!!!***

105. Habnofear says:

Are we still in eighth place? (eye’s covered)

106. _Habsoloutly_ says:

why don’t you get a life, or an education you dumb POS.

107. oldrrty says:

Gill takes two guys out the of the scrum….good job!

don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

108. Jordio-oh says:

we won the faceoffs match up tonight.

109. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Nope, you can jump off the bandwagon anytime now.

110. gatorhabs says:

Ha, Gill pulls 2 guys off that scrum. Perfect.

111. _Habsoloutly_ says:

He doesn’t actually watch the games.

112. newbrunswick troy says:

They have got to rethink thier whole “how to protect a lead” gameplan…because “luck ” and “Luck” only was the only thing that kept this game in the win column!!!

113. jennifer1984 says:

wow! what an exciting game.

montreals last power play was ammaazzzzing! even though there was no goal… very exciting hockey!

114. Kimberly2u says:

What kind of dumbass goalie decides to jump on someone and hit them and not get a penalty?  How is that right?  I was so mad I almost lost it…lol

115. Everlasting1 says:

It’s often about the bounces. Was he one of the 3 stars?

116. dre1744 says:

it would of been nice if the boys  would of  scored a couple of more during that period.  Lundquist  was brilliant!!!!!!

117. fun police says:

by far the boldest statement of the night.

118. canadiens26 says:

Hey got 2 for roughing.

119. Everlasting1 says:

Lundqvist – friggin awesome. Highlight reels galore.

120. twocents says:

Totally bold.

121. canadiens26 says:

Well you can relax because he got a penalty for roughing.

122. naweed235 says:

if it wasnt because of carey price Ranger wouldnt have those 2 goals… so … ya he did good in the last moments of the third but other than that.. hmmm

123. dre1744 says:

they won 28  and lost 25

124. dre1744 says:

lundquist  got a penelty    Patches  got a double minor

125. habs365 says:

the third period was scary..they played very good in the 1st and 2nd..oh well..we won that’s what counts

126. Kimberly2u says:

Thanks…I feel better now..lol…I’m taping the game and watching something else

127. dre1744 says:

i thought he looked like ironman!!!!!

128. deuce6 says:

Jeez, anyone listening to the guy singing OH Canada during the LA-EDM game? Man, I heard better singers at a Japanese karaoke bar…Wow

Anyway, Martin needs a swift kick in the head..His “reel ‘em in” game plan during the 3rd period is gonna start killing us..Wait until you put the nail in the damn coffin before pulling on the reins, FFS..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

129. hab_skill says:

*Ahem*… This link is wicked awesome. I thought this whole guardian project was kind of stupid but this is pretty cool:

130. deuce6 says:

Maybe if the damn linesman would stop waving us out, we might be OK..Man, they boot us out a lot..Seems like every FO..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

131. 123456 says:

yea im watchin the rags feed and they said he got no penalty.

132. J Haul says:

Blues fan last night, Rangers fan tonight. Talk about diversity!

133. adam76 says:

Anyone wanna toss out the faceoff stats in the third (YOU know – the critical time they needed to win said faceoffs)?

134. newbrunswick troy says:

not to mention , used his blocker wich is a gross misconduct!!

135. jennifer1984 says:

on cbc

1st star price

2nd lundqvist

3rd Akost

also this Ms. America pagent music is creepy when the announce the next person. something outta a horror movie

136. Jordio-oh says:

Wrong.

I like your favorite current player, btw. i hope he fairs well tonight against whichever team he is playing against in the division that nobody follows.

137. dre1744 says:

no ironman!!!!!!

138. slapshot777 says:

Dubinsky was the instigator, he chased PK along the boards. You must be a friggin troll, every one of your posts always starts and ends with your opinion always siding with Montreals opponent. My opinion is that you only come here to piss others off. You always look at how the Habs are always causing trouble, but never the other team,.

So explain how Patches got a double minor and Lundquist only got one. Again Dubinsky started it by cross checking patches from behind into Lundquist. It should have been all even at the most. But I know your going to siode with the Rangers, troll.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

139. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s Cobra Commander in a Habs Uni.

140. hab_skill says:

Pretty much but it still looks kinda cool. GI Joe!

141. habs365 says:

why can’t we ever come up with one player like jeff skinner with carolina..he’s only 18 yrs old..playing in the nhl and have 34 pts in 43 games..what a player this kid is gonna be..remarkable..he’s their new francise.

142. Da Hema says:

When our opponents, contrary to league rules, can slam and wham and jam and poke and jar both the goaltender and the puck into our net and have it count as a goal, it is wrong to blame the goalie.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

143. Kimberly2u says:

Nice to see someone else from New Brunswick in here…I’m from Moncton but live in Ontario now

144. deuce6 says:

….meets Judge Dredd..Kinda lame, actually..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

145. Everlasting1 says:

We’re listening to CBC now all of a sudden? lol 1st star? I’ll go by the more reputable NHL’s criteria. Price can kiss the crossbar, and didn’t see the action Lundqvist did tonight..please.

146. fbkj says:

the whole concept is lame however

lame title is a four way between the canuck, penguin, oiler and blackhawk

the only better one than ours at least from an esthetic standpoint is the devil which come on folks, it just wins

147. Jordio-oh says:

Price got a win, better gaa and better save percentage tonight than king henry. if this is your favorite team, maybe you should support the achievments of its players.

148. fbkj says:

agreed

being at the game tonight, hes never heard what he heard tonight in his career after his reaction to patches, but hey giving credit is relative

149. J Haul says:

Spacek is our Guardian? They are right about one thing, Jaro’s is quite the ladies man!

150. fbkj says:

and yet he lost

and yet your not giving credit to the forwards that wont be included on said highlights

y

151. Psycho29 says:

Hopefully your boy won’t get pulled tonight…….AGAIN.

152. fbkj says:

which resulted in our loss?

adam wtf man?

153. Everlasting1 says:

Love blinds.

154. jennifer1984 says:

what!!!! once again not watching right now (watching Baltimore/Pittsburg)

but i just come back to check the internet from cutting the bf’s hair and its 3-1 instead of 1-0!!! awesome!!!

155. jennifer1984 says:

seeing as how i don’t speak enough french….. i do prefer to watch it in english if i have a chance.

and when i look on the habs webpage the fans voted the Wiz as the first star

156. oldrrty says:

If you want the answer to that all you have to do is look at the drafts and see who the team took and who was available later!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

157. gatorhabs says:

Exciting first period. Great to see them playing with controlled emotion.  Gotta love Andrei’s reaction to his goal, you can actually see the weight being lifted from his shoulders.

Keep it up boys, don’t quit skating.

158. fbkj says:

no random comments that reflect bad hair metal bands blinds

what jordy said was fact

159. Kimberly2u says:

I can’t believe we have 3 goals…sometimes we go 3 games before we get 3 goals…lol….go Habs go

160. Everlasting1 says:

One could definitely argue the first goal for goalie interference, but the physical presence of the D just wasn’t there. Very nice look by Subban to Pleks on that second goal. A roughing call on Dubinsky for that nudge? Whatever!

161. Everlasting1 says:

Just teasing the simpleton.

162. Everlasting1 says:

I’m shocked too lol the pps help.

163. Chuck says:

I’ve just made the most italic statement of the night.

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

164. lavie says:

That’s a must call because their two players were on Subban.

165. slapshot777 says:

Wasn’t much of a slash by PK either, yet nthere he is going to the penalty box. If anything Dubinsky is chasing down PK everytime he is on the ice. I say good call by the ref, because Dubinsky is the instigator.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

166. habs365 says:

you’re right

167. gatorhabs says:

I love when our D stand up at the blueline  ala Wiz just now.

168. jennifer1984 says:

woah…. Grabovski ties it up with less than 6 secs to go in the game.

169. Everlasting1 says:

PK definitely slashed/highsticked Dubs..that call was warranted. Who was the instigator on that one?

170. Psycho29 says:

This is one ugly 3rd period to watch!

171. Everlasting1 says:

The TEAM lost.

How about reading all my posts before inserting foot in mouth.

172. fbkj says:

explain where i put my foot in my mouth

173. Duracell3 says:

7th technically as of this second.

174. Everlasting1 says:

Maybe he was chasing PK around, maybe it had something to do with their last meeting in which PK tripped/hauled him down from behind – a no call. Players don’t forget these things, and PK is no saint.

Patches was NOT cross-checked from behind into Lundqvist..he went in full tilt on his own momentum very wrecklessly – enough to piss off any goalie, especially after the barrage he faced earlier.

175. Duracell3 says:

69.2 Halpern
    70.0 Gomez
    47.4 Plek
    100.0 Eller
    20.0 Desharnais

176. Duracell3 says:

In fairness, Pleks for instance constantly tries to cheat.

177. Everlasting1 says:

I credited. Selective hearing much?

178. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

And if JM takes the aggresive aproach instead, PK or Wiz take a chance, cough up the puck, Rangers tie it up, then we’re calling for his head because he wasn’t conservative!

179. SmartDog says:

Hard to call this one.

POSITIVES: Cami may feel rested and renewed.  AK may be driven enough to bust out of the fog.

NEGATIVES: Rangers will be hungry after being beaten already this week by us.  Price has not been playing his best and its him in net despite Auld’s record.

——-

180. fbkj says:

POSITIVES: im going to be there and they are 10-1 with me in the crowd thus far this season :P

181. Jonson says:

Price has been playing well lately, you cant blame the loss against the pens on him, why would you not play him tonight? he has played 1 game in the last 6 games. Why wouldnt you play your number 1 goalie tonight? i dont understand it. you gotta go with Price.

182. WindsorHab-10 says:

With all due respect to JM’s decision making, Auld has a very good record against the Rangers & should get the nod not to mention that he needs to play a home game. At any rate, Go Habs Go.

183. HUDSONHAB says:

It’s time for a BLUE SHIRT BEAT DOWN.

or in this case a WHITE SHIRT BEAT DOWN because the NHL still insists on wearing road jerseys at home.

….Hab4life….

184. fbkj says:

the white jersey is the generic road jersey, hence why every team has them

185. adam76 says:

Over the last 100 years, the road team has been in white the majority of the time.

186. punkster says:

Give ‘em hell JL. Maybe Hirani is going too and we’ll have our double lucky charms working. Let’s just wrap up this thread now and save ourselves the angst.

Or as JERRYFROMTHEWESTISLAND always says:

NUF SAID

***Subbang!!!***

187. habzfan2003 says:

^

- – – – – >                     Likes this stat!

188. adam76 says:

Auld should be starting this game – he earned it and Price need a night off.

Why would Price need a night off?  This is only his 2nd game in seven days.

We have two back-to-back situations next week so I’m sure Auld will get his chance then.

Auld is strictly a backup goalie.  He hasn’t earned anything (except our gratitude) and we owe him nothing. We are playing an immediate foe in the standings which dictates we go with the best guy, even in light of Auld’s record against NY.

190. Born in a Bad Year says:

I just heard the most disturbing thing I have ever heard on the radio.

The Grabovski line in Toronto has more goals this year than the Sedin line in Vancouver.

Ouch.

Well if you do not have the patients to wait for players to mature in this league, suffer the consequences.

192. Propwash says:

Some people are still used to last year’s goaltending scenarios?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

193. sholi2000.com says:

hehe, you got sucked in!  ;)

They Call Me Shane

194. jimmy shaker says:

You’re right Carey doesn’t need the night off, but JM should give him the night off anyway…… and here are the reasons.

- Auld has a great record vs the rangers in his career.

-Auld beat them just a week ago.

-JM said that Auld is going to have to play more in the second half of the season….so why not pencil him in to start vs a team that he has had good success against in the past and give Auld the best possible scenario to win the game or help the team win the game.

-Price is not tired, I repeat Price is not tired and doesn’t need the rest, but the bottom line is that Price is on pace to play over 70+ reg. season games this year, while Auld is on pace for less than 10.  This uneven ratio does not bode well for a long playoff run, if we even get in that is.

- I know Price is our number 1 and he always gives us a better chance to win than Auld, but the reality of it all is that Price can’t play every game……and don’t hand me that Auld should only play vs the weaker teams in the conference, because we have just as much if not more trouble playing those so called weaker teams.  I’m not saying you said that…….I only mention it for people who think Auld should get the easier/weaker teams.

- And my final point, any goalie not named Brodeur playing over 70 regular season games in a season, has never won a cup…. since the 70’s.  Belfour and Hasek made it to the finals but lost.  We haven’t had a cup here since 93, so I think it’s about time to get Stanley back……..I was somewhat satisfied with last year’s run, but I think all of us here just like the players want more, and a better ratio of starts with our goalies will help us come the second season.

In the end, I hope Price plays great, and the boys win,

Shaker

195. fbkj says:

heres my retort

im going to the game

taking the girfriend

she wants to see price

nobody at the bell center gets pumped up by the name alex auld

this will all have a direct result in regards to cab ride home and other postgame shennanigans

196. jimmy shaker says:

You are correct, Price get’s the fans to their feet way easier than Auld, I say good luck at the game and after to ya, but take a look at the big picture my friend, not just tonight’s game.

Shaker

197. jimmy shaker says:

Hey Sholi, I know your a big Price supporter, but don’t you have a problem with the amount of games Price is getting vs the amount Auld is getting?

Shaker

198. fbkj says:

always lookin at the big picture

i just tend to let whats in front of me take over :P

199. HabFanSince72 says:

The caption on that picture says: “Canadiens’ Scott Gomez battles for the puck”.

Come on gazette, don’t lie to us.

200. SmartDog says:

There wasn’t room to say “Canadien’s Scott Gomez loses the puck after skating from our net to the opposing blue line and then almost takes a hooking penalty.”

——-

201. jrshabs1 says:

When a player is hurt he is refered to as being on the shelf.

Gomer is the straw that stirs the Habs drink.

Go Habs Go!!

202. habs001 says:

camm while he has had his struggles this year has way more upside than ak46…if management is happy in what ak46 produces than they will keep him but i think what we have seen from him in montreal is all we will get from him…now he may produce  more on another team but that is not a reason not to trade him. while one or two goals dont seem that much if each of our forwards had 2 more goals we would be 6th in goals scored… the problems is that players like darche,pyatt,moen,gomez,eller,maxpac,halpern all have good points about them but you just cannot have 7 forwards with this type of scoring talent and expect to be a team that can score ..especially since you are getting minimal goals from your d and the next level of goal scoring pouliot and ak46 are inconsistent and streaky…so you have gion,camm and plecks to provide the bulk of your scoring..so based on this there is  no suprise we are near the bottom in scoring

203. jennifer1984 says:

price can do it tonight. cammy will score at least twice and AK will throw around that big ol body of his.

also shameless plug from the hockey news, gotta help out family!

204. Bryan says:

Family member?  Nice!

My cousin was featured in one of these a couple years ago.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

205. DarthWade says:

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

206. ClaytonM says:

….but there’s no plan to screw the Habs by the refs, right? No way that’s a goal, it’s goalie interference plus a slow whistle to stop the play.

207. HNS says:

Mistake not playing Auld against NY. Maybe if JM’s decision not to play Auld tonite turns out to be wrong, maybe JM should anti up some of his paycheck to charity.

208. habsruleworld says:

the mistake is your post, you are wrong,

so if we meet NY Rangers in playoffs. by yout logic, we play Auld I guess? RIDICULOUS!

Price needs to play, period.

209. Da Hema says:

So if the Habs lose tonight’s game 1-0, which is not an implausible outcome, that will be Martin’s (and then by extension Price’s) fault? This is an important conference game. Price must play.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

210. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

That’s funny, and manny people were complaning last week about putting Auld in agaisnt the Rangers! Maybe JM knows what he’s doing.

211. habsruleworld says:

you are correct, JM does know what he is doing!

on the road to start a back to backer, yes start Auld in NY and come back with Price.

tonight, start Price for sure, he needs to get confidence against NY, he’s our starter,

how is that so hard to understand for some?

212. jennifer1984 says:

what the hell! im not watching the game but i see the score.

also i thought Biron was supposed to be in net?

213. AH says:

LOL!! SD I gotta tell ya, your comments about Gomez crack me up! I’m a Nomez fan, but I can’t deny your comments  on him are bang on. Between you and Timo I get some great laughs, keep it up, haha!!

214. SmartDog says:

Good stuff.  We’re all friends here.   Well, mostly.

——-

215. Kimberly2u says:

If they don’t win this game tonight they are screwed.  We have too many loses now…they have to win tonight and score more than 2 goals

216. Psycho29 says:

Thank goodness for Carey Price tonight….especially in the 3rd period…..21 shots!

217. NoTinFoilCups says:

Two sets of back to back games next week. Four games in six nights. Bizarre schedule! The boys are going to get a well deserved rest at the all star break.

218. zaq007 says:

Andrei needs to look that excited for all his games! O.O

219. fbkj says:

we should have started auld

anywhoo

im now 11-1

220. punkster says:

Haha…and so you are. Well done!

***Subbang!!!***

221. otter649 says:

Just another 40 points to get in the league standings to confirm a playoff position………

222. Laramy87 says:

Wow i really cannot stand Dubinsky, he is truly a douche. But oh well he took penalties and we scored PP becuase of them.

I do not know why Lunqvist blew up on Maxpac there. Replies show he was pushed into the goalie, deal with it Henrik

223. LA Loyalist says:

He felt like Max made no effort to avoid him. and he was probably frustrated because his team was playing like crap. But he sure played well.  We need a little more killer instinct, actually, we could easily have gotten in trouble if Rangers were any more skilled.

224. PeterD says:

Hoping for a solid inspired performance tonight by every Hab.

Go Habs!

225. mike g says:

Subban will score tonight…mark it down

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

226. WestHab says:

Is Max Pac a go tonight?

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

227. Kimberly2u says:

I agree totally on all the calls we get for penalties that aren’t called on other teams, especially the penquins…can’t say I miss Cry baby Crosby at all….go Habs go….:)

228. adam76 says:

This site needs a roll eyes icon.

229. HABZ24 says:

i say its time to part ways with markov. he,s injury prone, expensive and getting older. we must keep gorges if we loose markov.but will gorges be the same after knee surgery? hmmmm. we have subban to replace markov. webber has a hard shot and will develop into a top four defencemen. picards a vet whose been around and helps. gill is slow and old still some what effective but shouldnt be resigned. spachek is black banana past his expirey date and time to be upgraded on.  took habz in my mizo, better win!! if cammys back he ll pot a beauty tonight!!

230. TomNickle says:

Picard’s a vet?  By what standards?  He isn’t even eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season.  Gill should absolutely be re-signed considering what he brings, our penalty kill is #1 in the league and he is a huge part of that, both literally and figuratively.

But no worries as long as Cammy pots one.  Nevermind how terrible he is without the puck and how little he cares about working when he doesn’t have it in his stick or in an attacking situation.

Gill’s value to this team is higher than Cammalleri’s.

231. zak says:

Stop putting habz in your mizo, it’s affecting your mind

232. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says: