Game 45: First-period outburst enough for Habs

Canadiens’ Travis Moen falls over Rangers’ Steve Eminger during the second period on Saturday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick
Hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Brian Gionta | Mathieu Darche | James Wisniewski | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens continue to give up the first goal, but still managed to defeat the New York Rangers 3-2 on Saturday night at the Bell Centre.  The Rangers scored seven minutes into the game when Brian Boyle wrenched home a puck that Carey Price thought he had frozen. It was Boyle’s 15th goal of the season. But the Canadiens would scored three times before the first period was over, with two of those coming on the power play. Roman Hamrlik tied the game 1-1 when his shot from the point went off the skate of a Rangers defenceman and between the legs of a screened Henrik Lundqvist at the 13:19 mark.Less than two minutes later, Tomas Plekanec scored his 14th of the season after accepting a pass from P.K. Subban with a skate and lifting a shot over an outstretched Lundqvist. At 16:03, Andrei Kostitsyn, who had been mired in a slump and met with head coach Jacques Martin on Friday, blasted a shot from the slot over Lundqvist and showed a rare burst of emotion after scoring his 11th of the season. There was further no scoring until 6:57 of the third period when Mats Zuccarello scored his second of the season after a nice pass from behind the net by Derek Stepan.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens killed off a 6-on-4 disadvantage for the last 1:05 of the game when Hal Gill was called for hooking and the Rangers had an empty net.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record improved to 25-17-3 for 53 points, within two points of the Boston Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next:
The Calgary Flames are in town on Monday before the Canadiens travel to Buffalo on Tuesday night. The Canadiens are then in Ottawa on Friday and back home to take on Saku Koivu and the Anaheim Ducks next Saturday.

1. WestHab says:

I’m ridiculous so I’m going….hope to hell they win

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

2. jimmy shaker says:

Excellent!

Shaker

3. TomNickle says:

When he gets traded next week you’re gonna start worrying

4. TomNickle says:

I can handle it fine but my bathroom hates me in the morning!

5. dre1744 says:

i want too go  but ticket prices  that i found  are ridiculous

6. zak says:

5 plus mil a year

7. zak says:

We already have one d-man who can’t skate

8. mike g says:

Tommy boy, whats up?? Long time since weve spoken… So, have u started saving for our outing?? Because i think im running away with it!! Lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. jimmy shaker says:

Tom, you may be the second most interesting man in the world!

Stay thirsty my friend……I can’t handle the hard stuff anymore, only ice cold bevies for this chap nowadays.

Cheers,

Shaker

10. WestHab says:

Crown

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

11. TomNickle says:

I went from a drunken internet poster to a connoisseur in a heartbeat it seems!  🙂

12. WestHab says:

Benny has been the major part of the offence lately, despite those penalties.

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

13. WestHab says:

I think Regehr has a ntc, so he’d want to come here.

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

14. WestHab says:

yes, lets do it. He’s in your face gritty.

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

15. HUDSONHAB says:

I don’t care what anybody says but I feel that a lot of things that get called against the Habs don’t get called against other teams.

Just so you don’t think I’m just whining, I realize that by the letter of the law, the calls are usually actually penalties. They just seem to arbitrarily call them when they choose.

….Hab4life….

16. jimmy shaker says:

I like him….a big tough D-man, a past cup winner with carolina…..I guess we can put Picard on waivers, send weber back down and play him with spacek or reunite the two czech vets and get commodore and wiz together.

Still would like Regehr first, but this could work.

Shaker

17. Mr.Bell says:

4 – 2 Habs! Pleky gets the empty netter to seal the deal!

Once a Habs fan Always a Habs fan! GO HABS GO!

The Weiserhood.  He was always weiser.

There’s always a bottle in my liquor cabinet.

19. HUDSONHAB says:

I know this is now old news by now but I just love saying it. BRUINS LOSE !!!

….Hab4life….

TN – Now I understand how you write some of your posts:-)

21. oldrrty says:

After his performance on Wednesday I would hope that Pouliot is in the press box. I can’t believe that he did not suffer limited ice time after three penalties where at least two of them resulted in goals.

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

22. dre1744 says:

Ravens  21   Steelers 7    I’m loving it!!!!!!!!!

23. TomNickle says:

Weisers, always Weisers.

24. habsonly says:

Cool,

Mike McPhee is just the type of player we are in need of, actually could use a  Brian Skrudland type as well.

25. Chuck says:

Just think of the money that they’re saving!

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

26. HUDSONHAB says:

I guess my point is that goaltending has been the constant. It’s the wundering why the goals are not coming when we get the chances that burdens me. In this system you are suppose to play it close to the vest and strike when the other team gets frustrated and complacent.

I think it is hard to sqeeze your stick and play hard defencively then turn around and use soft, calm hands to place the puck into the net.

….Hab4life….

27. habsonly says:

Heres hopin the Habs can finish tonight, more than 2 goals would be nice.

Price will do his part, what is needed is an offensive breakthrough tonight, we are due.

Remaining hopefull.

GO HABS GO!!!

28. aemarchand11 says:

Mike Commodore on re-entry waivers? 1.6 Million isn’t bad for a big physical guy. I mean if Hal gill can skate with our defense so can Commodore. We need a physical presence back there..

2010-2011

29. Lazarus_taxa says:

Fail!

30. zak says:

Karri Ramo voted to the KHL all star game

31. Dwayne33 says:

I was just reading the article below about Mike Mcphee. What a great read. He was my favorite player back in the mid and late 80’s. I was very fortunate to meet him at a celebrity golf tournament hosted by Gerard Gallant in Summerside, PEI (I am pretty sure it was the summer of 1989, maybe 88). I was wearing my Mike Mcphee jersey and I met him on one of the golf holes. He approached me and my family(my parents and two younger brothers were with me) and came over to introduce himself. What a perfect gentleman. He invited us to walk the next few holes with him and we talked about hockey and the great Stanley Cup run of “86, of course. The highlight of the day was he let me wear his Stanley Cup ring while we were with him. What an honor it was. Of course, my mom took a shitload of pictures, which is really nice to have, seening that he wouldn’t let me keep the ring.LOL. Just wanted to share my story to let everyone know there are some great  men that play or played our great game of hockey!

32. adam76 says:

HE should have been moved down in November.

33. adam76 says:

Got ya – was worried you would be ut before the Habs game.  Whats your brand?  I do CC 12 year on the rocks.

34. Everlasting1 says:

Oh right, it’s the Rangers again tonight…where are those caffeine pills…

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

35. Sportfan says:

Baha poor cage au sport think about it 5 goals 8 wings they are going to have to change it to 3 goals get wings 😛

36. sholi2000.com says:

Dubinsky-  Hey REF, can’t you see Suban is bigger and stronger than I am, how bout a #$#&$# call here

REF-  HEY Dubs, you just got beat by a rook!  Suck it up buttercup.

They Call Me Shane

37. newbrunswick troy says:

Can tonight be the night, can it????

Will we see the habs actualy score more than once or twice if were lucky….Oh please God please give us the fortitude to pot maybe just maybe a 3rd  or even a 4th goal ……Oh what am i saying ….i know good old J.M would punish any hab who tried to press for a 3rd or 4th goal!!!

38. TomNickle says:

I think Pittsburgh will play the winner of the NFC game tonight Ian.

39. TomNickle says:

Day, not game.  And the third quarter of that football game will be starting somewhere around 11pm eastern time tonight.

Enjoy Tom, I think New England goes to the super.

41. jimmy shaker says:

Just looked at so called slewfoot dirty play (tortarella/dubinsky) play by PK on dubinsky on youtube……Even though it only showed the so called slewfoot from the back angle it still looked like dubinsky actually had PK’s arm pinned against his own body in order to try and fool the stripes into thinking PK was holding him.  With dubinsky  going down and pinning PK’s arm and getting him off balance, Pk’s leg came through and as soon as dubinsky felt that contact, he really embelished it. Then Torts and dubinsky go on the air and call it dirty and dangerous…..what a bunch of gutless cowards.  A front on angle would’ve helped out a lot better, but I don’t think PK slewfooted him in the least.  If PK did, dubinsky would’ve fallen alot more awkwardly.  What do you all think?

Shaker

42. SmartDog says:

Martin does a lot of  things right or he wouldn’t be here.

But every NHL coach does a lot of things right.  The truly great ones, the ones that win Stanley Cups do more things right, are a better fit with their team, know how to mentor and prod, and scare – or whatever is needed to get the best out of their players.  What bothers me most about JM is he seems to be a one-trick pony when it comes to player motivation, and it’s an old, tired trick at that. He’s yesterday’s man, but these are tomorrows kids.

——-

43. adam76 says:

I like Rye – but more then a bottle per game?

44. TripleX says:

OK, ok.  Forget it!   🙂

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

45. Habnofear says:

Add in Pyatt for Colton Orr…done deal!

46. TomNickle says:

I’m sure I’ll be working on my second bottle of whiskey by the third quarter of the Packers/Falcons game tonight Ian.  Been a tradition to put a bottle away ever since the Packers beat the 49ers in the NFC championship in 97.  Makes the heart breaking plays easier to deal with……cheers.

47. gatorhabs says:

And the month before, against Carolina….

48. zak says:

Go to Habsaddict.com Good article

49. JD_ says:

As I do yours. Even better, I have no particular qualms with your writin’ style.

I don’t know, try squintin’ or somethin’.

Cheers.

50. JF says:

You’re right, I do.  And, apart from the -in’, I enjoy your posts.

51. JD_ says:

It’s an affectation I employ to irritate people.

Havin’ said that, I have no doubt you have more pressin’ concerns in life, Jane.

52. jennifer1984 says:

Pittsburg is beating Boston right now. 3-2….3 mins left.

keep those fingers crossed.

Ya, but I have been enjoying some of my home made wine. Things change with great wine.!

54. JF says:

A probably irrelevant question: why do you write -ing as -in’?  It comes across as affectation and is highly irritating.

55. joshua94k says:

“I got a feeling, tonight’s gonna be a good good night, I got feeling, oo hoo”

Price will be sharp, Subban will intimidating, the Wiz will be dominating on the powerplay, and Cammalleri will score a hat trick.

56. fbkj says:

last month in new jersey

i was there… was funny

I think there is enough time to finish one more bottle of wine before the game, maybe, just maybe they will play as a unit for 60 min.

58. fbkj says:

nah

hes not producing as some would like, but hes resposible out there, plus its funny to see the troglodytes throw hissy fits about it

59. habs001 says:

nice positive post but the team has not shown to be a scoring team now for their last 140 games. my concern is that if you dont score it will catch up with you and you may play great but lose a playoff series because you lost 4 games by 1-0,2-1 type scores…every game is life and death and over a season and even worse over a couple of playoffs series you have nothing left like vs the flyers last year…we are usually tied or in one goal games in the third …now in a playoff series you can win those games and sweep the series but just as easily get swept but the chances are if you are a low scoring team and have great d play you probably are looking at 6-7 game series and by the third round you have nothing left…i give our team credit in what they have done in other elements of the game because in most seasons if you team is around 27th in goals per game % after 40 games the chances are you are in a lottery pick position…

60. TripleX says:

You kinda answered your own question.  This is a team that does not score more than a couple of goals a game.  If the goalie does not play spectacular ( in essence wins the game ), this team more often than not, will lose.

Under the “system”, the margin for error is minute and the pressure on all the players to play perfect defensive hockey is immense.  As we saw in last year’s playoffs ,when everything clicks it is a formidable opponent.  My belief is that it is simply too hard mentally and physically to play this “system” over 82 games.  Carey has to play perfect almost every game and over a season has to be debilitating.

Simply be the law of averages, EVERY team should benefit from a blowout easy win a few times in the season.  Even the Leafs, Islanders and Oilers have had more than one of these games.  When is the last time the Habs have had such an easy win?

61. CanadienBoy says:

Should Eller be send down to the Dogs ?,work wonders for Pacioretty.

62. Da Hema says:

I am confused. Below you wrote the Habs will kick the shite out of the Rangers. Now you are doubting whether they can do so. Which of these positions do you hold? One cannot sustain both simultaneously (unless you are the poster Manapart).

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

63. habsgod says:

i was another site under a different user name that i go by and a leafs fan posed this question to me?( the user name i go by on that site btw is lafleur10) he asked me if we’d trade akostitsyn to him for tomas kaberle,if we’d do it!i told him that i’d do that trade in a minute and that if gauthier could fleece burke for kaberle by giving up kostitsyn ,i told him to tell burke to call pierre and get it done! what do you guys think?

After the last meeting, if we do not kick their butts tonight,  then we are toast as a team this year.

65. HUDSONHAB says:

Why is there such a debate on here about the goaltender? The problem is scoring goals. How many 6-5 games have there been. I am pretty sure there have been a few 3-0 L’s and 3-2, 2-1 games.

….Hab4life….

66. Da Hema says:

It would appear so. Some posters here think the Habs will win by putting Alex Auld in net tonight and calling up Gabriel Dumont and Kyle Klubertanz.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

If you want to fight, go to flakiie Cherry’s site.

But if you want to enjoy a good shit kicking of the Rangers tonight, stay truned to this page,!!!

68. Jonson says:

No way we are gonna lose tonight. Montreal has a good team, the goals will come. As long we score more than them ill be happy. As for Cammy… he will start scoring, he has always been very streaky so i expect him to break out soon. I dont know why everyone is so worried about this team, its a character group they can get through anything. They are not going to struggle to make the playoffs, they will prob win their division or finish 4th or 5th. Gotta go with Price tonight, he has been playing great. i would like to see Eller back with POuliot on the 3rd line, but JM doesnt seem to see the chemistry.

69. JD_ says:

First Soobie slewfoots Doobie on Tuesday, then durin’ Thursday’s Nucks matchup, Alex Burrows tries to castrate Marc Staal. And NY Rangers head coach Jonathan “The Paper Italian”* Tortorella was havin’ none of it. Followin’ the game, Torts commented that, like Staalsy retaliatin’ by swingin’ his stick at Burrito’s skate, he would also have tried to break the guy’s ankle.

Somehow, I have difficulty imaginin’ JM throwin’ out somethin’ like that durin’ a post-game press conference.

Ken “Brett Hull’s Skate Was In The Crease” Hitchcock was interviewed by Randy “I Dunno” Tieman on Team 990 a couple of days ago. Hitch had high praise for JM, who he’s worked with, notin’ Martin has succeeded in doin’ what a lot of successful coaches do, which is to completely cut off the emotional aspect of the game and analyze it objectively.

No kiddin’. Like a Mormon trippin’ on Percocet®. With his little notepad. Admit it, he’s utterly adorable.

Hopefully, JM’s written somethin’ down regardin’ discipline and we won’t have to watch more of that endless trekkin’ to the box that has become very gratin’, of late.

And I’d like to be served up a tasty helpin’ o’ Veal Tortorella tonight, together with a nice bottle of Pinot Averio.

* The hell do I know where it comes from. It was on his Wikipedia page. Maybe he put it there. Far as I know, his real nickname is “A-Hole”.

70. Propwash says:

So, the general consensus is, everything Jacques Martin does is wrong?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

71. Chuck says:

I’ve got a feeling about tonight. We’ll pot a couple of early ones, and go from there.

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

72. Kimberly2u says:

I would love to see the Habs make the playoffs but you have to score to win a game, and if it takes 3 periods before they can get one goal it’s not good.  We have too many loses right now and every game if very important.  There is nothing we can do about our small players…they are small and we have to deal with it but like I said above we need to score.  The other problem we have is taking too many penalties….the game the other night was awful…how can we take so many penalties and expect to win a game?  I still will be cheering for our habs tonight but I’m not quite certain it’s going to be  a good game..I hope I’m wrong.

73. habs365 says:

I hope I’m wrong..I don’t feel good about the Habs getting a win tonight..Rangers have a better offence than the Habs..and like someone said earlier..you can’t expect cammy and pleks to do the scoring all the time..that’s been mainly it…