Game 43: Pouliot, Auld help Habs defeat Rangers

Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist ends up in the net along with the puck as shot by Canadiens’ Jaroslav Spacek tied the game 1-1 late in the second period Tuesday night. Ray Stubblebine, Reuters

AUDIO: Benoit Pouliot | Alex Auld | Mathieu Darche | Jacques Martin | Tomas Plekanec

PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Yannick Weber

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game
Blog
Quick Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: For the fifth straight game, the Canadiens battled back from a deficit on the scoreboard, posting a 2-1 win over the New York Rangers on Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
The Rangers jumped out to an early lead when Brandon Dubinsky scored 4:15 into the game when he cut to the front of the net and slipped a shot passed Alex Auld, who made only his fifth start of the season.
In the second period, Jaroslav Spacek was credited with the tying goal when his shot eluded a screened Henrik Lundqvist with 1:11 remaining in the period.
Benoit Pouliot, who has been playing well of late, scored his ninth of the season 6:03 into the third period with a wicked wrist shot from the faceoff circle that went over Lundqvist’s shoulder.
The Rangers pressed for the tying goal late in the game with six skaters on the ice, but came up empty.
Auld finished with 25 saves for his third win of the season, while Lundqvist stopped 36 shots.

• What It Means:
Montreal’s record improves to 24-16-3 for 51 points, two behind the Boston Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division. The Bruins hold one game in hand. The Canadiens did move into seventh place, tied with the Thrashers at 51 points but holding two games in hand.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens travel back to Montreal to face the Penguins on Wednesday and the Rangers are in Montreal on Saturday night.

1. kempie says:

This year only, yes.

2. punkster says:

Um…uhhh…we won again :)

***Subbang!!!***

3. newbrunswick troy says:

LMAO loyalist….but tell you must have an inside connection????

beacause  you,ve nailed the team mission statement to a tee

4. newbrunswick troy says:

i myself will join you … but for me it will be “red” shiraz  from the little penguin or maybe mcwilliams…either way i prefer a Australian

5. habs365 says:

you know this guy pretty good.

6. Psycho29 says:

Did Manapart steal your password???

7. jennifer1984 says:

haha oh boy!!!

i better cross the fingers for a win tonight! (as i do every night, but a little extra today)

what if i told you a piece of montreal canadiens cardboard just gave me a cardboard cut on my thumb cuticle?

cause it really freakin hurts….there is blood…. i need a bandaid

8. Bugs says:

I gave you a way out, my dear, and you didn’t take it. Back where we started then; you said it was on you so it’s on you.

Now, how many contacts can I fit on the address line is the question…

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

9. LA Loyalist says:

10 points of Hockey Wisdom from Jacques Martin

1. Offense – as soon as you cross the opposing team’s blue line, make
    sure you get rid of the puck, where doesn’t really matter, and start
    back-checking. It’s ok to throw the puck at the net once in a while,
    look at how Scot Gomez does it. Occasionally one will go in and we’ll
    have a lead we can protect for the next 59 minutes.
    2. Defense – the point of hockey is to not get scored on, so keep the
    puck in our zone where we can keep an eye on it. If an opposing player
    comes near you, make sure you hold the puck against the boards. Don’t
    pass it, that’s too risky.
    3. Neutral Zone – not quite as good as having the puck in our end, but it’s ok because it give our goalie a breather.
    4. Their shots – enemy shots are good because it means they no longer
    have the puck, so the more the better. Our goalie will save our ass,
    generally.
    5. Our shots – not so good, because taking a shot means giving up puck
    possession and the other team have a chance to get puck possession.
    6. The goalie – is pretty important in my system. He has to stop all the
    shots, because we aren’t planning to score more than one or two goals
    unless there is a complete systemic breakdown on our end.
    7. Lines – are determined by which players are best following my system
    on any given day. That’s the priority. Skill and chemistry are dangerous
    as they lead to creativity with the puck, which is pretty much
    guaranteed to wreck my system.
    8. Not following my system. This will get your ass on the bench or the
    press box, or demoted to Hamilton. Like a young horse, players need to
    be broken and molded into my defensive system.
    9. Scoring – a necessary evil. My game plan is to score one goal early,
    then defend, defend defend. I used to model myself on Jacques Lemaire,
    but I decided he takes too many chances on offense.
    10. Rookies. The GM makes me play them because the fans expect it, but
    they are the bane of my existence. My ideal hockey player is a burned
    out vet who barely has the gas to get out of our zone, but is great at
    lofting the puck safely into the offensive zone for an icing. Thence the
    puck comes back into our zone, where it belongs.

Thank you.

10. Psycho29 says:

Three apple and one blueberry

11. jennifer1984 says:

my heart is crying now Bugs…. :(

12. Bugs says:

We lose; it’s your fault.

I’ll start spreading the word.

Happy New Year, signed

No problem.

14. F Bomb says:

One of the best posts I have ever read.
    Avoid all chemistry and creativity!!!
    Cross the blue line and dump it in!!!
    Defend and keep the puck down low – puck possession is key

15. jennifer1984 says:

i’m too lazy to open another page, Auld is only signed for this year, no?

16. jennifer1984 says:

DEAL IS OFF!!! brownie and wine mix is absolutely terrible! i cant do it! hahaha.

these are some fine ghiradelli mix brownies. i did get in trouble from the boyfriend for not making them from scratch but i already had these laying around!!

17. Bugs says:

Total clinic by the Rags. Kickin the ever-lovin snot out’ve us. Lucky to only be down 0-1.

My boy Poolio most dangerous after 1?

Happy New Year, signed

18. Zepphead says:

Damn. This isn’t going to be good.

BUT, you guys should check out that kid playing for the NYR, Zuccarello.

We should’ve signed him this summer, I tell ya.

19. Bugs says:

Forgive me; thought I was clear when I said:

“In the AHL.”

Happy New Year, signed

20. F Bomb says:

Ooo Eller can’t be taking those penalties…

21. Bugs says:

Uh-huh. In other words: you have no proof.

It’s easy to find proof when you have it, Keeper. Don’t need to scroll through the “libraries”; just go on Google, type habsinisdeout bugs potter and whatever “proof” you have. Easy. Two seconds.

Granted, not as easy as fabricating bullspit just to appease your wounded pride, but that’s not proof, I’m afraid.

So, shall we say “checkmate”? Great. Thanks for playing, Keeper.

I’m done with this witness, Your Honor.

Happy New Year, signed

22. LA Loyalist says:

it doesn’t change the fact that sitting in the pbox won’t help. If he’s not ready, sent him back to Hamilton.

We can’t have it both ways. If he’s a prospect he should be playing here or in Hamilton.

If he’s a mistake than let’s move on — or is it that no one will admit we got hosed by St. Louis in the Halak deal. But him not playing (a game I can see to make a point, but 3?) just looks like JM on an ego trip.

23. habs365 says:

you should learn how to read before you write..there’s nothing in there that says why would a GM get rid of a player when his team’s playing better than .500 hockey.read it again when you’re awake.the more I read your comment the stupider you are..no wonder other Habs fans jump on ya.I’ve seen some of their remarks toward you now I see why.

24. mike g says:

I knew it…. Watching Auld in nets makes me more nervous than anything else. Hes the slowest goalie in the league. I think an 80 year old with bad hips could move faster across the crease! Why did we have to give these 2pts to NYR so easily

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

25. Bugs says:

Whole thing or the deal’s off!

Happy New Year, signed

26. Displaced says:

Clear and cold.  Not a cloud in the sky.  If this storm is coming it’s going to roll in here fast.  For what it’s worth they cancelled all the flights from SF into JFK — so they think it’s coming.  Expecting 15 inches.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

27. jennifer1984 says:

i hate being called jenny…everyone else knows better…but if thats what you’re calling me, its better than bad words….

and for the record, for real, i just ate a bite of the brownie, and took a “sip” of wine. my sips are pretty big!

28. Bugs says:

Mixed together or inside-out, gotta eat the brownie and drink the wine at the same time, aw’ight?

And whaddaya say to Jennie instead of Jenny? Is that ok?

Happy New Year, signed

29. keepthefaith says:

Yes sure ,  i am going to scroll threw the libraries of HIO and find proof. Ya, thats gonna happen. You think i just said it for no reason. This is at least three times you ve been correcting peoples spelling mistakes. I know how i feel about people like you. Internet smart asses … with a dictionary.

30. jennifer1984 says:

it’s white. my fav bottle.

Pelee Island Gewurtztraminer…….delicious!!!

there are some fine bottles of red (shiraz) around but i enjoy this one too much!

31. jennifer1984 says:

listen Bugs, i enjoy you and your remarks, none of them bother me…BUT IF YOU EVER call me Jenny again, i will jump through the screen….. jenn or jennifer is fine.

now i thought i could put the brownie IN the wine……. but then i decided i’ll just drink the whole bottle instead of putting the brownies in.

32. savethepuck says:

Thanks 24 Cups for the Eminem Rihanna parody earlier.  Thought it was hilarious.  My sister married a Laffs fan and unfortunately the kids decided to listen to their father instead of their mother when choosing a hockey team.  I’ve been going through my address book since I saw the videao to forward it to all of them.

33. newbrunswick troy says:

1- Gill would have been ok…only because Chara was absolutly gassed!

2 I think Max Pac has helped…but gomez, concrete hands doesn,t let it show

3- Hamr..former fisrt overall draft pick…tons of playoff experience!!

4-P.K is certainley a more humble D-man than earlier,but i miss his piss and vinagar

5-Cami—beacause he likes the limelight and gets too much here..(this city will ruin him eventualy)

34. Bugs says:

If you PROMISE to eat one of those brownies AND drink a WHOLE glass of wine AT THE SAME TIME, you will be absolved from all blame.

(mmph, giggle)

Ok, Jenny? You gotta PROMISE, now. Brownie, wine, same time. Go.

(mmph!)

Happy New Year, signed

35. newbrunswick troy says:

red or white wine?

36. Bugs says:

Ovechkin??? Ovechkin fires at Mach II, Pup, not at 0.7 mph. Pull yourself together, please.

It was “good” goal, sure, but because it was beautifully SCREENED, not because it was beautifully fired, yes?

It was a banana from 40ft out that we woulda killed the Priceberg for lettin in and for which Timmy got some flak for lettin in too. I say again: hardly the hallmark of a POWER-FORWARD’s goal. I want to see him score a power-forward goal before I call him a power-forward.

So far, he’s Chris Higgins in a bigger frame, that’s all.

Happy New Year, signed

37. otter649 says:

Gill (as a Bruin) & Chara (as a Sen) did fight at least once & Gill who has never been known as fighter got cut pretty good over the eye by Chara as I remembering seeing it on Youtube awhile back but kudos to Gill for stepping up in that situation………..

38. Bugs says:

I think Jack Marty expected Eller to improve in the FORTY games he gave him, Lalo.

And to suggest that sitting him for THREE is what’s undermining that improvement seems a little trite to me, with all due respect.

Happy New Year, signed

39. VancouverHab says:
    • Gill has a lot in reserve — he doesn’t fight for the simple reason that no-one wants to fight him & he just does his job. Notice that Chara didn’t try too hard to go with Gill. And (sorry, but it’s true) serious credit to Gomer for going right after Chara.
    • So far — and why not. The centre has 12 points in the past 11 games — can’t argue with those numbers.
    • Neither is going anywhere this season obviously, but Hamr for sure: just a draft pick is the market I’m guessing.
    • By far. He has done what a certain someone advised him to do and he’s 3/4 as damaging as he was and 1/4 more effective.
    • Cammi. Gio brings a lot. But I’d keep Cammi since he’s a money scorer and we have Pouliot, Eller & MaxPac as power forwards in training (in my view, AK is pretty suspect, alas. Shades of the Big M in TO….)
  40. jennifer1984 says:

if we lose tonight you can blame it on me.

i have no lucky habs loonies left to throw in the singing piggy bank and i have no beer so i’ve substituted for a bottle of wine.

(please don’t really blame me……i made fresh brownies?!)