Game 43: Habs earn Dandy 5-2 win over Bruins

Updated at 10:38 p.m. with Carbo audio, new photo

Canadiens’ Mathieu Dandenault celebrates the first of his two third-period goals against Boston tonight.
Adam Hunger, Reuters

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog | Carbo Post-Game (French only)

That noted sniper Mathieu Dandenault came out of Tuesday’s press box, having been a healthy scratch for the first time in his NHL career, and responded with two goals.

Is that Guy Carbonneau a magician, or what?

Deflections, caroms and pucks bouncing wildly off the glass, a goal post and the end boards turned the Canadiens-Boston Bruins game into an unpredictable adventure, and a robust contest that surely left more than one bruise by the time it was done.

The Canadiens leave Beantown with a 5-2 victory in their carry-ons, having gotten two goals from Dandenault, singles from Tomas Plekanec, Maxim Lapierre and Alex Kovalev, and a world-class physical effort from blue-line pillar Mike Komisarek.

It was the eighth consecutive victory for Montreal over Boston, not that this one was a walk by any means. The Habs rolled out to a 3-0 lead, then saw the Bruins claw back to within one before they stretched their margin to two. Dandenault’s second of the game iced it.

Montreal improved its record to 22-13-8, and has gone 5-0-2 in their last seven games. Tonight’s game was the Habs’ fifth victory over the Bruins this season.

The Canadiens needed just eight shots to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Plekanec scored his 14th of the year – well, kind of – when he banked a power-play cross-ice shot off the glove of Boston captain Zdeno Chara and past Bruins goalie Tim Thomas at 10:36.

Lapierre, the former Hamilton Bulldog who seems very happy with his lot in life in Montreal, bulled his way to his second of the year, crashing Thomas’s crease 54 seconds later to bang home the rebound of a shot by Christopher Higgins.

The Bruins paid for Shawn Thornton’s cheap-shot punch at Habs defenceman Roman Hamrlik, providing the Canadiens with another power-play opportunity roughly 13 minutes into the second.

Thornton drew an extra roughing minor for having thrown a fist at Hamrlik, who was tied up by a linesman during a scrum behind the Bruins net. With the man advantage, Kovalev capitalized with his 19th, a bullet from his preferred faceoff circle to the short side of Thomas at 13:18 on a splendid cross-ice pass from Mark Streit.

Boston got on the board at 14:41, Aaron Ward getting a lucky bounce when his shot came off the back boards and caromed in off the leg of Canadiens goalie Cristobal Huet.

Milan Lucic closed the Habs lead to one 2:01 into the third, taking advantage of a poor clearing attempt by the goalie. From the faceoff circle, Lucic rattled a shot off the short-side post and, again, into the back of Huet before the puck bounced into the goal.

With all the momentum going Boston’s way, and the Bruins having come close nearing the midway mark of the period after Saku Koivu drew a tripping penalty, Dandenault again gave the Habs a two-goal lead.

Dandenault scored his fifth of the season – and first in 13 games – at 11:56 on a partially fanned backhand that fooled Thomas, slipping between his pads.

And then he scored again on a pretty give-and-go with Streit at 18:49 to close out the scoring.

The Canadiens head for New York and their Saturday date with the Rangers, then take on the Islanders at Long Island on Tuesday and the Thrashers in Atlanta next Thursday before returning home on Jan. 19 to take on the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mathieu Dandenault (right) celebrates a goal with teammates Josh Gorges (left) and Francis Bouillon.
Elsa, Getty Images

1. The Teacher says:

AWWW POOR DON MEEHAN, who cares, agents are a waste of money. I’d represent myself also.

2. WindsorHab-10 says:

Let’s not forget Jagr’s contract with Washington few years ago and look what happened?

3. Moey says:

You’re spot on Tommy, I feel the same way.

4. T-roy West says:

Hey Dave, sorry if I gave the impression that I was asking yourself or anyone at the Gazette for any help with a summit. I used the term summit when mybe I should have used the term “get together” or “gathering”. All I wanted to know is if there is anyone that wanted to see UFC82 and a game in Montreal at that time (if they are still playing) because I’m going to be there anyways. When I asked you for your thoughts I realize that it might sound like I was asking for help but I assure you that is not the case! I will repost with a different wording. :)

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

Yes good read. I like the modified version, and the goalies look so quick nowadays. But Luongo has to be one the most exciting goalies to watch in my opinion.

6. TommyB says:

I wouldn’t say “chased away”, Moey. It was more like “why bother”.

7. Moey says:

Well Tommy, that sheds light on why some of my favorite posters no longer frequent this site. I missed the summit because of my vacation plans, I ended up having to give my ticket away. I don’t remember the negative comments after the fact, I was on holiday for two weeks. It’s a crying shame people were chased away. It’s just not the same here anymore, I guess it’s like the NHL, you can’t top the original 6.

8. idle says:

I’m not sure about a summit, but I bet there are some people on here that would gladly organize a roller derby. You could have the Price, Chipchura, Obryne fans on one team and the Huet, Brisebois, Gainey fans on the other (I would have said the Carbonneau fans but then the second team might only be 3 or 4 players)

9. TommyB says:

Totally agree with your statements, 24 cups. Now, let’s see if Washington can continue to pay him over the length of the contract…hell, let’s see if Washington can even remain in the league over the length of his contract!

10. idle says:

Dave,

If you are not too busy with other things then can you please explain:

Who you feel were the best butterfly goalies over the years, keeping in mind that they style has improved through the years as well.

What are the other styles currently in play by multiple goalies. Seems to me that now a days you are either a butterfly goalie, stand-up goalie, or some sort of freak.

(oops, replied to the wrong post. Should be one thread down)

11. TommyB says:

I guess that really puts an end to all the speculation of Ovy coming to Montreal. Too bad, because I for one would have loved to see him wearing the CH. Such are the realities of “your new NHL”. We will just have to grow our own….somehow, I think Mr. Gainey has always known that.

TSN is saying the contract is for 6 years at $9 million and then 7 years at $10 million for a total of $124 mil.

I’m not sure if this is dirty pool or not but it sure looks like Ovechkin pulled a fast one on agent Don Meehan. Meehan was his original agent when Ovechkin signed his three year entry level contract. He received the league mamimum of $3.85 million a year for 3 years. In other words, $12 million. I would assume that Meehan got about 5% of that – $600000 grand. So then in the third year of the contract Ovechkin let’s Meehan go and brings in his mother as his agent (paging Vince Carter). So in theory, dear sweet Tatiana is going to get 5% of $124 mil. Ovechkin still gets to declare that as a business expense and mommy gets to gross about $475000 grand a year for 13 years. In other words, the same kind of yearly coin that Dave Stubbs makes at the Gazette:-) Don Meehan? He’s out a cool $6.2 mil over the lifetime of the contract. Didn’t take the Russians long to adapt themselves to the evil ways of capitalism!

Having said all of that, I still wish we had of signed him instead of Washington:-)

The Original 24 Cups

13. TommyB says:

Dave Stubbs is right, the Habs Summit held back in October was basically concieved, set up, and seen through by a couple of individuals who frequented this site last year. For the most part, the new group of posters this year have pretty much put such a negative damper on the “Summit”, and have almost chased away those responsible for setting it up. Remember all the posts back in the early part of the season criticizing “all the Summiteers” talk on this site? You remember, don’t you? We should stick to discussion on the Habs and their players, and leave the “Summit” talk to more private venues?

There is a new sherrif in town, so to speak! So…you need to speak to these new posters this year. Maybe a couple of them will set up a “Summit II”. Somehow, I doubt it will happen. And…if it does, be forewarned that you must not discuss on this site the great time you had at such Summit.

Much thanks to Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone, and the Montreal Gazette for their great support of our Summit back in October. They added the little touches that helped to make it something special, and those of us who attended were very appreciative!

But, I hate to drop the bomb on this year’s HIO posters, our Summit was not put together by the Gazette et al. You want a Summit this year…you better get to work.

14. idle says:

I did read it, but without the knowledge that he had already signed.

Cheers

15. Dave Stubbs says:

The first Fan Summit was the product of the fertile imaginations and enormous work of Inside/Out readers. The Gazette had very little to do with it, other than provide encouragement and say hello once everyone arrived in Montreal.

That’s the way it will remain, and must be. There wouldn’t be enough hours in the day for us to organize it. Surely those responsible for the first one will see your note, T-roy, and table it here for any discussion.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

16. Dave Stubbs says:

“Butterfly-style” suggests the style pioneered in the 1950s by Detroit Red Wings then Chicago Blackhawks goalie Glenn Hall, in which a goaltender drops to his knees, his legs fanned out toward the posts, leaving him able to cover a large part of the net with his upper body, the lower part with his pads, and give him the ability to spring back up.

Until then, the popular style was the stacking of pads, i.e., a goalie sliding toward the shooter on his side with his pads stacked one atop the other to a) cover the lower side of the net, and b) keep his unmasked face away from the shooter and the puck as much as possible.

Most goalies in today’s NHL use the butterfly or a modified form of it. A notable exception is Dominik Hasek, who looks like a rag doll on drugs. But he gets the job done, so it doesn’t matter if you’re pretty or not. A save looks like a save in the morning summary.

Hope that helps.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

17. mrstewart61 says:

Update on Ovechkin signing: 13yr/124m!!! We can now concentrate on signing him as an UFA in 2021 when he’s 35.

18. mrstewart61 says:

Locke is not fast:

TSN: At only 5-9, 168 pounds, his lack of size could hinder production at the NHL level. Skating is also an issue, as is his suspect play without the puck.

19. Habs-Kat says:

The Leafs can get a MUCH better package for Sundin than Halak, Locke, and a 1st Rounder. They won’t trade him to Montreal, obviously, but if they did they’d be looking for something like Halak, Kostitsyn (take your pick), a 1st Rounder, Ryan O’Byrne, and Locke. Montreal’s in no position to give something like that up. A team looking for a push over the hump to get the Stanley Cup this season would be (Detroit, Ottawa, Anaheim).

20. TradeRyder says:

Yeah. Methinks you didn’t really read what I wrote…

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

21. ebk says:

two first in one day, wow :)

22. idle says:

I will gladly follow you

23. idle says:

No, that’s what you do in the prison yard. Maybe you should check your testosterone levels?

24. Moey says:

Should I bite??? Naaaaaaaa, I’m in a good mood today so I’ll take the high road.

25. idle says:

I wouldn’t touch Sundin. Who needs an aging good but never good enough player? We already have that in Koivu (one of my favorite players and hurts to say that)They are great players and great leaders and can take the team up the hill but just can’t get it over. If were looking to make a bang we need a louder one then Sundin.

26. idle says:

*Deleted*

Looks like I am behind the times with that comment :(

27. Moey says:

I do understand the dynamics of communication, I was just sensing a little bit of high anxiety in your posts.

28. T-roy West says:

I don’t know how many UFC fans are on this site but I would love to have another little habs summit in April. The UFC is coming to Montreal on April 19 and I was thinking mybe people on this site can get together and watch George St. Pierre take his title back and see Montreal win a playoff game(if they make it, knock on wood!). I would be in seventh heaven if this could happen. I would love to meet some of you. Please guy’s and girls, tell me what you think because I’m dead serious. Could this happen Dave?!!!!!!

29. ebk says:

you got me agreeing with the horse, scary thought.

30. TradeRyder says:

Bringing this over from the other forum:

Yesterday’s Ovechkin rumour should’ve read like this:

“Rumour has it, Washington Capticals sniper Alexander Ovechkin is seriously considering wasting the time of Montreal General Manager Bob Gainey. Ovechkin, sources say, is using Montreal as leverage to up the offer from his Washington team so that he could get the best contract out of his negotiations in the American Capital. Sources also say Ovechkin will be knocked on his sorry ass next time he visits Montreal. They will also refuse him entry to Chez Paris.”

That’s the way the news should’ve been….
    _____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

31. Smart Dog says:

Good point Habs prof. You gotta figure Boston has been trying to see how other teams beat us… and most of them do it with speed. Maybe that’s their problem – they’re trying to play like they can’t. the only way they’ll win tonight is if Thomas is hot.

________________________________________________________________