Game 43: Habs earn Dandy 5-2 win over Bruins

Updated at 10:38 p.m. with Carbo audio, new photo

Canadiens’ Mathieu Dandenault celebrates the first of his two third-period goals against Boston tonight.
Adam Hunger, Reuters

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog | Carbo Post-Game (French only)

That noted sniper Mathieu Dandenault came out of Tuesday’s press box, having been a healthy scratch for the first time in his NHL career, and responded with two goals.

Is that Guy Carbonneau a magician, or what?

Deflections, caroms and pucks bouncing wildly off the glass, a goal post and the end boards turned the Canadiens-Boston Bruins game into an unpredictable adventure, and a robust contest that surely left more than one bruise by the time it was done.

The Canadiens leave Beantown with a 5-2 victory in their carry-ons, having gotten two goals from Dandenault, singles from Tomas Plekanec, Maxim Lapierre and Alex Kovalev, and a world-class physical effort from blue-line pillar Mike Komisarek.

It was the eighth consecutive victory for Montreal over Boston, not that this one was a walk by any means. The Habs rolled out to a 3-0 lead, then saw the Bruins claw back to within one before they stretched their margin to two. Dandenault’s second of the game iced it.

Montreal improved its record to 22-13-8, and has gone 5-0-2 in their last seven games. Tonight’s game was the Habs’ fifth victory over the Bruins this season.

The Canadiens needed just eight shots to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Plekanec scored his 14th of the year – well, kind of – when he banked a power-play cross-ice shot off the glove of Boston captain Zdeno Chara and past Bruins goalie Tim Thomas at 10:36.

Lapierre, the former Hamilton Bulldog who seems very happy with his lot in life in Montreal, bulled his way to his second of the year, crashing Thomas’s crease 54 seconds later to bang home the rebound of a shot by Christopher Higgins.

The Bruins paid for Shawn Thornton’s cheap-shot punch at Habs defenceman Roman Hamrlik, providing the Canadiens with another power-play opportunity roughly 13 minutes into the second.

Thornton drew an extra roughing minor for having thrown a fist at Hamrlik, who was tied up by a linesman during a scrum behind the Bruins net. With the man advantage, Kovalev capitalized with his 19th, a bullet from his preferred faceoff circle to the short side of Thomas at 13:18 on a splendid cross-ice pass from Mark Streit.

Boston got on the board at 14:41, Aaron Ward getting a lucky bounce when his shot came off the back boards and caromed in off the leg of Canadiens goalie Cristobal Huet.

Milan Lucic closed the Habs lead to one 2:01 into the third, taking advantage of a poor clearing attempt by the goalie. From the faceoff circle, Lucic rattled a shot off the short-side post and, again, into the back of Huet before the puck bounced into the goal.

With all the momentum going Boston’s way, and the Bruins having come close nearing the midway mark of the period after Saku Koivu drew a tripping penalty, Dandenault again gave the Habs a two-goal lead.

Dandenault scored his fifth of the season – and first in 13 games – at 11:56 on a partially fanned backhand that fooled Thomas, slipping between his pads.

And then he scored again on a pretty give-and-go with Streit at 18:49 to close out the scoring.

The Canadiens head for New York and their Saturday date with the Rangers, then take on the Islanders at Long Island on Tuesday and the Thrashers in Atlanta next Thursday before returning home on Jan. 19 to take on the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mathieu Dandenault (right) celebrates a goal with teammates Josh Gorges (left) and Francis Bouillon.
Elsa, Getty Images

1. Smart Dog says:

Score a goal or two Ryder….. and shut up ALL the dawgs! Either that or flatten someone… that would work too! And don’t give up on the play – ever!

Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

Nice call Habs-Kat – glad to see someone is paying attention!

I’ll tell you one thing, I’d rather have Ovechkin at $9 mil a year instead of Richards (7.8), Gomez (7.3), Drury (7.0), or Vanek (7.1). Washington had no choice – either sign Ovechkin or fold the franchise.

The Original 24 Cups

3. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Obviously you don’t understand DYNAMICS in communication.

Nice horse by the way…I used to own 3 of them.

4. Moey says:

Oh please, if he had signed here you would be kissing his skates.

And one more thing, have you ever considered Prozac?

5. Chuck says:

If you were close enough that adding Sundin would guarantee you an appearance in the finals, then I’d say give up a bit of depth in goal for an honest shot at the Cup. Problem is, there’s no proof that this team is quite ready to take it to that next level, Sundin or no Sundin… so as of now, the trade wouldn’t make any sense for the Habs.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

6. Chuck says:

In a seller’s market, as Toronto would be, they hold all of the marbles. They’re not in a position where they absolutely HAVE to trade Sundin, whereas a team that believes that adding Sundin would give them a bona-fide shot at the Cup might be willing to part with a little more if it was to put them over the top. If the Habs were that close, I just couldn’t see Toronto not trying to squeeze Gainey for anything more than Halak, Locke, and a pick. Look at what the Fedorov deal commanded last season.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

7. Bill H says:

moowah! What a sweet puppy. LOL

8. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

They’d like to get more but ANY GM with a working brain will not give up a “Sundin” type for Sundin…because he is basically a loaner, thats it…then he is gone. Ottawa wouldn’t part with any of their big three etc….

So its youth and draft picks…sure your point is valid, 2 DEFENSEMAN from the DOGS, plus a draft (1st round) plus LOCKE.

thats a good deal for them long term, which is what they need.

9. Bill H says:

Everyone’s laughing at this one, but I don’t know why? Personally, I think Halak is potentially more than a backup goalie, and the Leafs could use a high draft pick. Not a bad deal if they think they can resign him for next season.

But I am just not a rentaplayer type of guy, unless we are sending them away for draft picks. And I think BG is of a like mind. Why mortgage the future for a someone that will be gone in a few months? UNLESS…that player may be the final piece of the puzzle that will take you to that final series and a shot at the Cup.

Is Sundin that player for Montreal? Big centre that scores lots of goals. Except for the team that he is coming from, its what a lot of people have been fantasizing about around here. Hmmmm. If he was Russian or Finnish and we could get Koivu or Markov to sweet talk him into staying, I’d go for it. But he’s Swedish, so what are the chances he’d stick around. Quite honestly, I don’t know, but I’m guessing he’d be gone, either to the highest bidder, or back to Toronto. And we’ve lost valuable depth in goal and a good draft pick.

So it comes down to whether he can take us to the final or not. Next year, yes, this year no. Just a hunch. We are short on experience, character and consistency, at least thus far in the season. But who knows, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe he is the missing piece to the puzzle. Maybe its worth the gamble. Its an intriguing thought.

10. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Latron stepped in and went at it?…he was accidently in the wrong place at the wrong time..thats what was going through his head…

He should have came at full speed across the ice leaping over the net and double forearm crashing to CHARA’s head followed by several poundings while Chara was on the ground….thats what you do in that particular incident.

as Souray did many times for us….now?

Lord help us if it turns into that type of game…

best case, Boston tries to skate with us (like the last 4 games) and we kill them again….

11. Chuck says:

Well you can’t re-tool all of the positions at once, so it would make sense for them to address their most pressing needs first. We’ve drafted a ton of young defensemen, so it would make more sense if they at least wanted one of ’em. And if Toronto thinks that they can’t get more than what you’re suggesting, then they really couldn’t trade their way out of a wet paper bag.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

12. cautiousoptimist says:

Come on now guys, mjames wasn’t saying our boys should come out in tutus and tiaras. He just thinks skill is more important than thuggery, and so do I – even when we go up against a goonish team. And though we may not have the grit to intimidate, we’ve got the scrappiness to make teams think twice. Someone here put it best when he said, following O’Byrne’s injury, “when’s the last time you saw a Hab break a thumb on an opponent’s face?” In the last Boston game, when Chara laid that elbow on Kovalev, Latendresse of all people stepped up went at it with the big man. Kostopoulos fights occasionally, and Komisarek is a beast.

Gainey’s philosophy is to have good players who can be tough when they have to, not rocks-for-brains pilons who can’t actually play.

13. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Who is going to torment Chara with Begin and Kosto out?

4-0 Habs tonight.

14. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

its more than just the defense…they’re finally admitting they need to re-tool in all the positions…ALL, even the management.

so ANY trade for youth is good for them.

15. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

we’re not talking about americans or any NHL player throwing whimsical comments out into our blue skys….we are talking about the most POTENT ELITE SNIPER, VICIOUS HITTER in the LEAGUE…or HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE since the Great MAURICE.

and his BEST FRIEND is here to boot…

but he pulled a brilliant PR move on us….his agent is a genius….oh ya he is his AGENT….HE IS A GENIUS.

I like MONTREAL, the city, the FANS, I’d love to play here..what ENERGY, my GREAT FRIEND, the best DEFENSEMAN in the LEAGUE is here. KOVALEV is here, other RUSSIANS are here…its PERFECT…etc

and WASHINGTON suits are trembling in their offices…BREAK OPEN THE BANKS.

and so it came to pass…..

you mention philosophy?

its all about MONEY…the PASSION FOR A TEAM IS GONE…its passion for money…we don’t need an IDIOT like that.

16. Chuck says:

Even if Sundin were to re-sign, it still doesn’t make any sense for Toronto, considering that the players they’d be getting do absolutely nothing to fix their real problem, which is their defense.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

17. The Teacher says:

I’m sure the GM’s know he’s a rent-a-player.

18. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

If you believe that HALAK is better than TOSKALA…I do.
    If you believe that the leafs need speed/youth = Locke
    If you believe that the leafs need first round picks…they do.

great deal for them….and they re-sign him for next season.

19. The Teacher says:

hmm, ok, give them a 4th rounder or later, not better than that.

20. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

These are great times yes….

but not sure its a ‘stupid’ move because SUNDIN is a rentaplayer.
    and he would go back to Toronto for the next season.

now it sounds ok doesn’t it….from a leaf perspective.

21. The Teacher says:

Traitor? Haha get your priorities straight.

Don’t millions of Americans visit our city and say nice things about them every year?

You’re telling me no other NHL players except Montreal ones can say nice things about our city?

Kinda funny philosophy you got there.

22. Chuck says:

That’s just what Toronto needs: another back-up goalie and un unproven small forward. If Gainey could pull that one off, it would rank right up there with the best that Pollock ever put together!

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

Come on Boys lets get some Bruins tonight.

Dog is hungry for Bear…..

Lets hope that Huet has a great game tonight.

Please Guys, no more negative comments about anymore of our fine players. Just suggestions on how they can improve their game.

I will be the first one to start…….

24. The Teacher says:

She’s laughing cause it’s completely impossible for the Leafs to be that stupid 😉

I bet she’s also laughing at the desperation of Toronto fans. I know I am.

25. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

chase the $….after saying all those good things about Montreal…what an IDIOT.

26. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

not if your making a CUP RUN.

you can give up a pick, a farm goalie and an unproven small forward…doesn’t put that much of a dent in your future.

I’d rather see this trade then touching any of our youth, Lap, KOMI, KOSTY bros, PLEK, CHIP, PRICE, etc… or our HIGS, KOIVU, KOVALEV vets…

27. The Teacher says:

6 years 54 million..Hmm more than Sid the Kid.

9 million a year.

28. habsgod says:

beat the bruins tonight and win the season series and put some distance between us and the bruins!!!should have played locke tonight smolinski is going to hinder us more than help us!!!huet better keep up his excellent play tonight!!i will prdict kovalev gets 3 goals tonight!!plekanec gets 1 goal 2 asissts and a.kostitsyn gets 3 assists tonight!!i hope price is back soon!!but saturday let’s start halak!!just to see if he still has it and show case him!!!

29. LTHF says:

I hope that I’m 100% wrong but I have that gut feeling that Bos may win one tonight against the Habs.Law of averages say they will eventually win one and after losing 7 straight they are due to win one and they are only 4 points back of the habs, again I hope its not tonight. Dont know what Smolinski is going to bring to the team that TK didnt—-nothing! And Brisbois in the lineup does nothing to help the team defensively and more amazing to me is that he spend time on the PP. Can someone point out something positive that those 2 players bring to the team— something I’m not seeing.

30. Habs-Kat says:

Ovechkin’s staying in Washington, by the way.

31. Habs-Kat says:

LOL! Funniest thing I’ve read since I’ve been on HIO.

32. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

A potential trade I heard on a Toronto RADIO this afternoon:

SUNDIN for Locke, Halak and a pick.

33. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I like your analysis on Mr.Rocket, channeling energy in the right direction, but don’t forget the crux of that lesson…suspension for the Great Maurice was by the prejudice, ignorance and racism of the NHL, and it took a man who was MORE THAN MAN to break it down.

Maurice would not BEND.

I don’t disagree on your PRICE argument. In fact that move is OK, Halak should have played the last game against Toronto, but thats another story.

Chip got the short end of the stick and I suppose that is my main discomfort, aggravated by the re-entrance of BRISBRIOS & other press box co.

I hope the new found winning chemistry is so strong that these additions will not degrade our performance…but I must say that I already see a degradation.

As i said in other posts..the experiment should be OVER NOW.
    we know what BRIS can do,. we know what SMOKE can do…we don’t need to see it again….LET THE NEW LINES STAY..the YOUTH MOVEMENT has become the ENVY of many!

was it just me or was Locke centering the third line for awhile and Lap was centering the 4th…..thats what I feared.

34. nightmare_49 says:

I’m with you there and that’s very important for a true contending team.

35. nightmare_49 says:

But they don’t forecheck in curling.

36. rogus says:

a bag of pucks for a roll of tape?

37. rogus says:

Chara is in because in the “new NHL” there is a dirty hit/elbow competition. Personally, I’m picking Downie to win…

38. Will Longlade says:

This decision shouldn’t be based on things that happened in the past. What’s important is the value added that Stoll would bring to the team vs. the value that would be lost if Ryder was moved. No one can predict what may happen in the future. I don’t think B.G. is at all concerned with what happened to Leclair, Ribs or anyone else for that matter. If these types of things influenced him, nothing would ever get done and he probably wouldn’t be the Hab’s G.M.

39. Will Longlade says:

Stoll is better than average on face-offs (53.8%) and could add some grit to the Habs. He has 2 SH goals and 3 PP goals this year. As much as I like Ryder, I would make that trade in a New York minute too.

40. idle says:

I asked a couple different wing places in Toronto if they would honor the same deal. They just look at me like I have 3 heads : /

Hey Smart Dog – you actually read one of my posts! I’m honoured man!!!

There are ten names listed now. That’s half a team and everyone is under the age of 25. The future belongs to us.

The Original 24 Cups

42. ebk says:

I mentioned what I heard but there is no way that the Habs would get Stoll for Ryder straight up.

Stoll is a RFA after the year and Ryder is a UFA. That alone dictates that Edmonton would want more than Ryder. Now if Gainey lets Edmonton talk to Ryder before the deal and see if they can work something out as far as a contract, that changes the dynamic completely

43. TradeRyder says:

I disagree Teach. Stoll’s story is yet to be written. Ryder has big question marks over him. In his press conference Gainey referred to his defensive play as “miserable”. And unless he season this year is almost a wash-out… so there are real issues with both his defensive play and his consistency. I’m curious if that deal does go down to see who called it closest.

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

44. Sulemaan says:

Not sure if I’m a fence-sitter as I speak my mind when I want to but I like to have an even balance to things. Emotion and passion is important. No argument there but un-checked it can be dangerous. That is why many (including the Rocket) thought that Blake was a better coach than Irvin. He could channel the Rocket’s energy and passion in the right direction. Versus the wrong one that resulted in Richard sitting in the box, being suspended, etc.

Do I like the sent Price down the minors? Not really. However, we’ve got another good goalie (Halak) who has played well lately and deserves a chance to be called up. He saved our bacon last year and almost got us into the playoffs. If we show-case him or Huet to get better assets via a trade then what is wrong with that? Price will still get playing time and he will return. If Price is suffering from lack of confidence or playing time, he will get it back in the minors. And then they will call him up in due course. The last thing we want is him getting shelled out and losing confidence like Fleury in Pittsburgh.

Do I like they sent Chipchura down? No. But he needs to improve on face-offs if he’s going to be an effective defensive player. I think if they want to call up another youngster like Locke during the season (like they did with S. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O’Byrne) to give him a look then what is wrong with that? We know what Chipchura can do and I think he will be wearing the ‘C’ or ‘A’ on his Montreal jersey in the years to come.

With regards to our recent winning streak. You don’t want to mess with chemistry but if we look at it objectively, Huet won those games. And the first three lines that clicked so well haven’t changed. Defence is pretty much the same except that O’Byrne was replaced by Brisebois. (Not a big Brisebois fan but he’s filling in for now.)

Really the modifications were made to the 4th line and the back-up position which is what Price was relegated to. I do agree that Locke should have played tonight instead of Smolinkski or Dandenault.

The defense rests.

45. Billy says:

i think the second half will test whether this team can come back and win a game when they trail after the 1st or 2nd periods. pretty unreal when u look at the chart that we still have not won a game when we have been trailing after the 1st or second.

46. TradeRyder says:

Double post

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

47. mjames says:

You still sound like you might be happier supporting the Ducks. Also I strongly diagree with your asessment of Pronger. He is no where near the best defensemen in the league. Personally I would take Markov and Hamirlik over Pronger.

I was referring to the last Olympics. I was not talking about the juniors. The juniors who play defense (foe example this year) can skate. Our last Olympic team had a defense, particularly Pronger, that could not skate and it showed in their performance.

Lastly why are getting your nose out of joint because someone takes an opposing point of view.

48. Xtrahabsfan says:

mjames,Your preference to play soft is now noted,lol and as for the Ducks you make it sound like they are talentless and you confuse their desire to win as rough play?This is pro hockey ,not your own personal ringette league rough play is not your bag may I suggest you start watching curling or figure skating “an ice sport”,AND WHAT EVER YOU DO ,DON’T WATCH FOOTBALL!The Ducks are so much like the Habs of old,fast, strong ,big, talented, cup winners ,who have great D and great goal tending….the only thing their missing is the C.H. Ask yourself this, honestly ,who would be better off :the Ducks copying the Habs or the Habs copying the Ducks?

49. Chuck says:

He’s young, therefore he hasn’t gotten enough respect… yet. His time will come.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

50. Jay in PA says:

We won’t be keeping Ryder after this season anyway–he’s already announced that he will seek free agency. I like him, and he’s a proven talent (when he’s on, that is), but he’s not going to be here long-term no matter what.

51. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Sulemaan…your one of the more rational posters here, but your position is usually ‘on the fence’.

ie. you know the move is wrong, but you bend and hope that the alternative will pan out….

One of the greatest moments in Les Canadiens HOCKEY that demonstrates TRUE PASSION is when Irvin told the ROCKET he’d be once again a healthy scratch…”don’t dress” and what did the ROCKET DO? he WRECKED THE DRESSING ROOM, KNOCKING OVER THE STICK RACK and STORMED OUT….THATS PASSION!!!

thats what drives a team to SUCCESS….to that level we OWNED,,,,we CREATED. but is now occupied by the magical Chemistry of the Detroits, Ottawas and Anahiems….

Chances are given when its neccessary to take the CHANCE.

it is not neccessary to take a ‘chance’ when we are moving in the right direction and WINNING…thats all I’m saying.

When there is ‘turbulence’ then corrective action is accepted….debated but accepted…

People were calling for Kovalev’s head last year (not me) this year its give him the ‘C’.
    and most recently Ryder….if he keeps it up, he’ll be praised more often than not.

Short term thinkers…..or “tinkers”….thats my debate, my argument.

I don’t agree with CHANGE when its uncalled for. Then you have to question WHY? POLITICS?
    SKILLS? BAD JUDGEMENT?…just like that ridicules report card.

SIMPLY…its a disservice to the ‘LOCKES’ to give them a chance that is really NO CHANCE AT ALL.
    where is locke tonight?

that is my case.

52. Kingkomi says:

does anyone know why a hog like chara gets into the all star game and not komi?

53. Kingkomi says:

remember what happened to leclair…..keep ryder

54. The Teacher says:

Interesting article by Duthie concerning the All-star game skills competition and new shootout skills competition.

Interesting that you can start from anywhere on the ice, even from behind the net.

Sad that only a total of 6 players will take part. 8 or 10 would have been better.

New fastest skater scheme also. Interesting.

55. Sulemaan says:

If you think you can properly assess a player based on their performance of one game then it’s time I registered for another class than yours. 😉

If you look a players like Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn and others (to name a few) they did not light it up in their first game. Locke has paid his dues in the minors and done well just as #14 and #46 did. There is nothing wrong with giving him a fair chance.

That allows us to avoid giving away players for nothing who succeed elsewhere (Beauchemin anyone?). And Dick Irvin may have been a good coach but the best was Toe Blake. Even Rocket Richard said that Blake was a better coach than Irvin. And Blake nurtured and took care of his prospects and young players to build dynasties.

I think you feel the same way because you seem rather upset (not that I blame you) that Price and Chipchura were sent down. So what’s wrong with Locke getting an opportunity as well? Being fickle has nothing to do with it.

56. The Teacher says:

Throw more than Ryder? I don’t think you’re quite on-base with that one. Stoll offers different things but is still a project, whereas Ryder is proven talent.

57. nightmare_49 says:

Good read and the 4th line has been playing good of late , with the exception of last game’s giveaway , and any goals scored against them lately were not really their fault and they have shown a great tempo which is contagious. With 4 players vying for the 2 spots available to play with Streit. IMO rotating them will keep them sharp for the future. Depth and versatility is a strong asset for our run at a playoff spot. BTW Milroy and D’Agostini have been playing lights out , the last two weeks , with the Dawgs according to the Hamilton announcers. Happy Days.

58. TradeRyder says:

Smolinski on the fourth line is a luxury? Yeah, like a bed made out of gold bricks. Expensive but who wants it?

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

59. TradeRyder says:

Do it!

That might actually happen. I agree with the dog, we’d need to throw something in there.

Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

60. ebk says:

I had heard Jarret Stoll for Michael Ryder

61. Smart Dog says:

Edmonton would be a likely trading partner. Stoll would make sense. He’s about all they have of interest that they could afford to see go. Ryder for Stoll? In a heartbeat. We’d need to give a pick too… or how about Breezer?? lol

Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

Read a rumour on Yahoo! Sports that Gainey might be interested in Jarret Stoll in Edmonton. Could just be a slow day for sports news.

The Original 24 Cups

63. ebk says:

The Smolinski signing to date as been another Free Agent disaster for the Habs. His injury, while unfortunate for him, help turn around the season. When Brisebois,Begin and Smolinski got injured it changed the dynamic of this team.

K2 and Lapierre give the team the added depth they were missing earlier in the season. Now the Habs have three lines that can score and compete on a nightly basis. The Canadiens no longer live or die on their PP. 47 goals in the last 13 games, 33 at even strength, demonstrate statistically , what can be seen on the ice.

Carbo would be foolish to mess with the chemistry that has developed the last 13 games or so. Inserting Smolinski on the top three lines would be a huge mistake.

I thought Smolinski’s time had passed as a Hab but I have changed my mind about that. Smolinski on the fourth line is a nice luxury to have. If Smolinski can get back to playing like he is capable, this team now has a 4th line that is much better than it has been all season. Smolinski at center with any of Dandenault, Streit, Kostopoulos or Begin give the Canadiens a 4th line that can play limited but quality minutes.

It was clear from the start of the year that the 3rd and 4th lines needed to be better for this team to get where it wanted to go. K2 and Lapierre helped upgrade the 3rd line and in the process pushed the old 3rd line back one spot and seemed to have upgraded the 4th line as well.

Now if Michael Ryder can get his butt in gear this team will be even more dangerous the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks for reading

64. southp says:

It’s going to be a tough one tonight. The Bruins won’t forget what happen in the first 4 meetings this year!

65. Odie Clegorn says:

Just curious-is that a photo from the Placentia area?

66. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Tough to comment right now..we don’t know what the lineup is,
    and that MEANS ALOT RIGHT NOW.

with CHIP (out) BREEZE, SMOKE, LOCKE as variables???

like I said the other day…WE’VE HAD OUR GUTS RIPPED OUT…the team is DISMEMBERED…

CARB had it running like a swiss clock, 7W in the last 12…GREAT CHEMISTRY.

then he feels obligated to RE-INSERT the HASBEENS….JOKE.

and most of us weak kneed fickle fans comment “its ok”, “give them a chance”, “give them a second chance”, “Locke needs his chance”.

THERE IS NO “CHANCE” HERE….listen to MR.IRVIN in the ROCKET to see what methodology a REAL COACH lives and breaths…

oh I forgot, we have to showcase for trades, oh ya and the biggest joke, sending a champion kid down to work on his FACEOFFS!!!!!

ye of fickle faith.

67. Xtrahabsfan says:

Pat,I could not have said that any better except for this: You know we are in trouble when our superstar Kovalev”and he is this year” is also our enforcer!lol

68. cautiousoptimist says:

Come on boys!!! Win us some wings!!!!

69. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Its not just about goon hits…hockey is a physical game.

our captain is regularly smacked around…thats unacceptable.

and he is one of our tougher players….

70. mjames says:

If Somlinski is going to have his coming out party tonight, maybe just maybe, he got the message and now realizes that he is going to have to bust his butt to get playing time. I am assuming that Carbo will insert him at the expense of Locke. I think the top three lines should remain intact.

71. Sulemaan says:

Given the last game in Montreal where the Habs pounded the Bruins 7-4 and Chara got thrown out of the game, the boys better be prepared to play tonight. Boston will.

Although I’m far from being a Smolinski fan, usually players do well against their former teams (i.e. Kovalev against NYR). So perhaps he should play tonight. Give him 4th line duty with Streit and Locke (give the kid a second chance). Keep Dandenault in the press box where he belongs.

72. mjames says:

Well maybe the Ducks are your team. You should not feel pressured to stay with us.

Personally I much rather win with skill than banging people all over the ice.

I remember Pronger in the last Olympics. He could not do squat on the larger ice surface. That is why the Swedes and Fins took it too us. The Euros were too fast for the Pronger and his goons to hit.

73. martin says:

Thanks for the info. go Price get that game back together.

74. J.T. says:

Off topic, but nice to see Carey Price get it together and put up a 3-2 win in OT last night. He didn’t face a lot of shots, but the win has to help his confidence.