Game 43: Habs earn Dandy 5-2 win over Bruins

Updated at 10:38 p.m. with Carbo audio, new photo

Canadiens’ Mathieu Dandenault celebrates the first of his two third-period goals against Boston tonight.
Adam Hunger, Reuters

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog | Carbo Post-Game (French only)

That noted sniper Mathieu Dandenault came out of Tuesday’s press box, having been a healthy scratch for the first time in his NHL career, and responded with two goals.

Is that Guy Carbonneau a magician, or what?

Deflections, caroms and pucks bouncing wildly off the glass, a goal post and the end boards turned the Canadiens-Boston Bruins game into an unpredictable adventure, and a robust contest that surely left more than one bruise by the time it was done.

The Canadiens leave Beantown with a 5-2 victory in their carry-ons, having gotten two goals from Dandenault, singles from Tomas Plekanec, Maxim Lapierre and Alex Kovalev, and a world-class physical effort from blue-line pillar Mike Komisarek.

It was the eighth consecutive victory for Montreal over Boston, not that this one was a walk by any means. The Habs rolled out to a 3-0 lead, then saw the Bruins claw back to within one before they stretched their margin to two. Dandenault’s second of the game iced it.

Montreal improved its record to 22-13-8, and has gone 5-0-2 in their last seven games. Tonight’s game was the Habs’ fifth victory over the Bruins this season.

The Canadiens needed just eight shots to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Plekanec scored his 14th of the year – well, kind of – when he banked a power-play cross-ice shot off the glove of Boston captain Zdeno Chara and past Bruins goalie Tim Thomas at 10:36.

Lapierre, the former Hamilton Bulldog who seems very happy with his lot in life in Montreal, bulled his way to his second of the year, crashing Thomas’s crease 54 seconds later to bang home the rebound of a shot by Christopher Higgins.

The Bruins paid for Shawn Thornton’s cheap-shot punch at Habs defenceman Roman Hamrlik, providing the Canadiens with another power-play opportunity roughly 13 minutes into the second.

Thornton drew an extra roughing minor for having thrown a fist at Hamrlik, who was tied up by a linesman during a scrum behind the Bruins net. With the man advantage, Kovalev capitalized with his 19th, a bullet from his preferred faceoff circle to the short side of Thomas at 13:18 on a splendid cross-ice pass from Mark Streit.

Boston got on the board at 14:41, Aaron Ward getting a lucky bounce when his shot came off the back boards and caromed in off the leg of Canadiens goalie Cristobal Huet.

Milan Lucic closed the Habs lead to one 2:01 into the third, taking advantage of a poor clearing attempt by the goalie. From the faceoff circle, Lucic rattled a shot off the short-side post and, again, into the back of Huet before the puck bounced into the goal.

With all the momentum going Boston’s way, and the Bruins having come close nearing the midway mark of the period after Saku Koivu drew a tripping penalty, Dandenault again gave the Habs a two-goal lead.

Dandenault scored his fifth of the season – and first in 13 games – at 11:56 on a partially fanned backhand that fooled Thomas, slipping between his pads.

And then he scored again on a pretty give-and-go with Streit at 18:49 to close out the scoring.

The Canadiens head for New York and their Saturday date with the Rangers, then take on the Islanders at Long Island on Tuesday and the Thrashers in Atlanta next Thursday before returning home on Jan. 19 to take on the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mathieu Dandenault (right) celebrates a goal with teammates Josh Gorges (left) and Francis Bouillon.
Elsa, Getty Images

1. cautiousoptimist says:

Come on now guys, mjames wasn’t saying our boys should come out in tutus and tiaras. He just thinks skill is more important than thuggery, and so do I – even when we go up against a goonish team. And though we may not have the grit to intimidate, we’ve got the scrappiness to make teams think twice. Someone here put it best when he said, following O’Byrne’s injury, “when’s the last time you saw a Hab break a thumb on an opponent’s face?” In the last Boston game, when Chara laid that elbow on Kovalev, Latendresse of all people stepped up went at it with the big man. Kostopoulos fights occasionally, and Komisarek is a beast.

Gainey’s philosophy is to have good players who can be tough when they have to, not rocks-for-brains pilons who can’t actually play.

2. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Who is going to torment Chara with Begin and Kosto out?

4-0 Habs tonight.

3. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

its more than just the defense…they’re finally admitting they need to re-tool in all the positions…ALL, even the management.

so ANY trade for youth is good for them.

4. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

we’re not talking about americans or any NHL player throwing whimsical comments out into our blue skys….we are talking about the most POTENT ELITE SNIPER, VICIOUS HITTER in the LEAGUE…or HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE since the Great MAURICE.

and his BEST FRIEND is here to boot…

but he pulled a brilliant PR move on us….his agent is a genius….oh ya he is his AGENT….HE IS A GENIUS.

I like MONTREAL, the city, the FANS, I’d love to play here..what ENERGY, my GREAT FRIEND, the best DEFENSEMAN in the LEAGUE is here. KOVALEV is here, other RUSSIANS are here…its PERFECT…etc

and WASHINGTON suits are trembling in their offices…BREAK OPEN THE BANKS.

and so it came to pass…..

you mention philosophy?

its all about MONEY…the PASSION FOR A TEAM IS GONE…its passion for money…we don’t need an IDIOT like that.

5. Chuck says:

Even if Sundin were to re-sign, it still doesn’t make any sense for Toronto, considering that the players they’d be getting do absolutely nothing to fix their real problem, which is their defense.

6. The Teacher says:

I’m sure the GM’s know he’s a rent-a-player.

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

If you believe that HALAK is better than TOSKALA…I do.
    If you believe that the leafs need speed/youth = Locke
    If you believe that the leafs need first round picks…they do.

great deal for them….and they re-sign him for next season.

8. The Teacher says:

hmm, ok, give them a 4th rounder or later, not better than that.

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

These are great times yes….

but not sure its a ‘stupid’ move because SUNDIN is a rentaplayer.
    and he would go back to Toronto for the next season.

now it sounds ok doesn’t it….from a leaf perspective.

10. The Teacher says:

Traitor? Haha get your priorities straight.

Don’t millions of Americans visit our city and say nice things about them every year?

You’re telling me no other NHL players except Montreal ones can say nice things about our city?

Kinda funny philosophy you got there.

11. Chuck says:

That’s just what Toronto needs: another back-up goalie and un unproven small forward. If Gainey could pull that one off, it would rank right up there with the best that Pollock ever put together!

12. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Come on Boys lets get some Bruins tonight.

Dog is hungry for Bear…..

Lets hope that Huet has a great game tonight.

Please Guys, no more negative comments about anymore of our fine players. Just suggestions on how they can improve their game.

I will be the first one to start…….

13. The Teacher says:

She’s laughing cause it’s completely impossible for the Leafs to be that stupid ;)

I bet she’s also laughing at the desperation of Toronto fans. I know I am.

14. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

GREEDY TRAITOR.

chase the $….after saying all those good things about Montreal…what an IDIOT.

15. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

not if your making a CUP RUN.

you can give up a pick, a farm goalie and an unproven small forward…doesn’t put that much of a dent in your future.

I’d rather see this trade then touching any of our youth, Lap, KOMI, KOSTY bros, PLEK, CHIP, PRICE, etc… or our HIGS, KOIVU, KOVALEV vets…

16. The Teacher says:

6 years 54 million..Hmm more than Sid the Kid.

9 million a year.

17. habsgod says:

beat the bruins tonight and win the season series and put some distance between us and the bruins!!!should have played locke tonight smolinski is going to hinder us more than help us!!!huet better keep up his excellent play tonight!!i will prdict kovalev gets 3 goals tonight!!plekanec gets 1 goal 2 asissts and a.kostitsyn gets 3 assists tonight!!i hope price is back soon!!but saturday let’s start halak!!just to see if he still has it and show case him!!!

18. LTHF says:

I hope that I’m 100% wrong but I have that gut feeling that Bos may win one tonight against the Habs.Law of averages say they will eventually win one and after losing 7 straight they are due to win one and they are only 4 points back of the habs, again I hope its not tonight. Dont know what Smolinski is going to bring to the team that TK didnt—-nothing! And Brisbois in the lineup does nothing to help the team defensively and more amazing to me is that he spend time on the PP. Can someone point out something positive that those 2 players bring to the team— something I’m not seeing.

19. Habs-Kat says:

Ovechkin’s staying in Washington, by the way.

20. Habs-Kat says:

LOL! Funniest thing I’ve read since I’ve been on HIO.

21. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

A potential trade I heard on a Toronto RADIO this afternoon:

SUNDIN for Locke, Halak and a pick.

22. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I like your analysis on Mr.Rocket, channeling energy in the right direction, but don’t forget the crux of that lesson…suspension for the Great Maurice was by the prejudice, ignorance and racism of the NHL, and it took a man who was MORE THAN MAN to break it down.

Maurice would not BEND.

I don’t disagree on your PRICE argument. In fact that move is OK, Halak should have played the last game against Toronto, but thats another story.

Chip got the short end of the stick and I suppose that is my main discomfort, aggravated by the re-entrance of BRISBRIOS & other press box co.

I hope the new found winning chemistry is so strong that these additions will not degrade our performance…but I must say that I already see a degradation.

As i said in other posts..the experiment should be OVER NOW.
    we know what BRIS can do,. we know what SMOKE can do…we don’t need to see it again….LET THE NEW LINES STAY..the YOUTH MOVEMENT has become the ENVY of many!

was it just me or was Locke centering the third line for awhile and Lap was centering the 4th…..thats what I feared.

23. T-roy West says:

Hey Dave, sorry if I gave the impression that I was asking yourself or anyone at the Gazette for any help with a summit. I used the term summit when mybe I should have used the term “get together” or “gathering”. All I wanted to know is if there is anyone that wanted to see UFC82 and a game in Montreal at that time (if they are still playing) because I’m going to be there anyways. When I asked you for your thoughts I realize that it might sound like I was asking for help but I assure you that is not the case! I will repost with a different wording. :)

24. RiverviewCanadien says:

Yes good read. I like the modified version, and the goalies look so quick nowadays. But Luongo has to be one the most exciting goalies to watch in my opinion.

25. The Teacher says:

AWWW POOR DON MEEHAN, who cares, agents are a waste of money. I’d represent myself also.

26. nightmare_49 says:

I’m with you there and that’s very important for a true contending team.

27. TommyB says:

I wouldn’t say “chased away”, Moey. It was more like “why bother”.

28. nightmare_49 says:

But they don’t forecheck in curling.

29. rogus says:

a bag of pucks for a roll of tape?

30. rogus says:

Chara is in because in the “new NHL” there is a dirty hit/elbow competition. Personally, I’m picking Downie to win…

31. Moey says:

Well Tommy, that sheds light on why some of my favorite posters no longer frequent this site. I missed the summit because of my vacation plans, I ended up having to give my ticket away. I don’t remember the negative comments after the fact, I was on holiday for two weeks. It’s a crying shame people were chased away. It’s just not the same here anymore, I guess it’s like the NHL, you can’t top the original 6.

32. Will Longlade says:

This decision shouldn’t be based on things that happened in the past. What’s important is the value added that Stoll would bring to the team vs. the value that would be lost if Ryder was moved. No one can predict what may happen in the future. I don’t think B.G. is at all concerned with what happened to Leclair, Ribs or anyone else for that matter. If these types of things influenced him, nothing would ever get done and he probably wouldn’t be the Hab’s G.M.

33. Will Longlade says:

Stoll is better than average on face-offs (53.8%) and could add some grit to the Habs. He has 2 SH goals and 3 PP goals this year. As much as I like Ryder, I would make that trade in a New York minute too.

34. idle says:

I asked a couple different wing places in Toronto if they would honor the same deal. They just look at me like I have 3 heads : /

Hey Smart Dog – you actually read one of my posts! I’m honoured man!!!

There are ten names listed now. That’s half a team and everyone is under the age of 25. The future belongs to us.

36. WindsorHab-10 says:

Let’s not forget Jagr’s contract with Washington few years ago and look what happened?

37. ebk says:

I mentioned what I heard but there is no way that the Habs would get Stoll for Ryder straight up.

Stoll is a RFA after the year and Ryder is a UFA. That alone dictates that Edmonton would want more than Ryder. Now if Gainey lets Edmonton talk to Ryder before the deal and see if they can work something out as far as a contract, that changes the dynamic completely

38. TradeRyder says:

I disagree Teach. Stoll’s story is yet to be written. Ryder has big question marks over him. In his press conference Gainey referred to his defensive play as “miserable”. And unless he season this year is almost a wash-out… so there are real issues with both his defensive play and his consistency. I’m curious if that deal does go down to see who called it closest.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

39. Moey says:

You’re spot on Tommy, I feel the same way.

40. Sulemaan says:

Not sure if I’m a fence-sitter as I speak my mind when I want to but I like to have an even balance to things. Emotion and passion is important. No argument there but un-checked it can be dangerous. That is why many (including the Rocket) thought that Blake was a better coach than Irvin. He could channel the Rocket’s energy and passion in the right direction. Versus the wrong one that resulted in Richard sitting in the box, being suspended, etc.

Do I like the sent Price down the minors? Not really. However, we’ve got another good goalie (Halak) who has played well lately and deserves a chance to be called up. He saved our bacon last year and almost got us into the playoffs. If we show-case him or Huet to get better assets via a trade then what is wrong with that? Price will still get playing time and he will return. If Price is suffering from lack of confidence or playing time, he will get it back in the minors. And then they will call him up in due course. The last thing we want is him getting shelled out and losing confidence like Fleury in Pittsburgh.

Do I like they sent Chipchura down? No. But he needs to improve on face-offs if he’s going to be an effective defensive player. I think if they want to call up another youngster like Locke during the season (like they did with S. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O’Byrne) to give him a look then what is wrong with that? We know what Chipchura can do and I think he will be wearing the ‘C’ or ‘A’ on his Montreal jersey in the years to come.

With regards to our recent winning streak. You don’t want to mess with chemistry but if we look at it objectively, Huet won those games. And the first three lines that clicked so well haven’t changed. Defence is pretty much the same except that O’Byrne was replaced by Brisebois. (Not a big Brisebois fan but he’s filling in for now.)

Really the modifications were made to the 4th line and the back-up position which is what Price was relegated to. I do agree that Locke should have played tonight instead of Smolinkski or Dandenault.

The defense rests.

41. Billy says:

i think the second half will test whether this team can come back and win a game when they trail after the 1st or 2nd periods. pretty unreal when u look at the chart that we still have not won a game when we have been trailing after the 1st or second.

42. TradeRyder says:

Double post

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

43. mjames says:

You still sound like you might be happier supporting the Ducks. Also I strongly diagree with your asessment of Pronger. He is no where near the best defensemen in the league. Personally I would take Markov and Hamirlik over Pronger.

I was referring to the last Olympics. I was not talking about the juniors. The juniors who play defense (foe example this year) can skate. Our last Olympic team had a defense, particularly Pronger, that could not skate and it showed in their performance.

Lastly why are getting your nose out of joint because someone takes an opposing point of view.

mjames

44. Xtrahabsfan says:

mjames,Your preference to play soft is now noted,lol and as for the Ducks you make it sound like they are talentless and you confuse their desire to win as rough play?This is pro hockey ,not your own personal ringette league rough play is not your bag may I suggest you start watching curling or figure skating “an ice sport”,AND WHAT EVER YOU DO ,DON’T WATCH FOOTBALL!The Ducks are so much like the Habs of old,fast, strong ,big, talented, cup winners ,who have great D and great goal tending….the only thing their missing is the C.H. Ask yourself this, honestly ,who would be better off :the Ducks copying the Habs or the Habs copying the Ducks?

45. Chuck says:

He’s young, therefore he hasn’t gotten enough respect… yet. His time will come.

46. Jay in PA says:

We won’t be keeping Ryder after this season anyway–he’s already announced that he will seek free agency. I like him, and he’s a proven talent (when he’s on, that is), but he’s not going to be here long-term no matter what.

47. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Sulemaan…your one of the more rational posters here, but your position is usually ‘on the fence’.

ie. you know the move is wrong, but you bend and hope that the alternative will pan out….

One of the greatest moments in Les Canadiens HOCKEY that demonstrates TRUE PASSION is when Irvin told the ROCKET he’d be once again a healthy scratch…”don’t dress” and what did the ROCKET DO? he WRECKED THE DRESSING ROOM, KNOCKING OVER THE STICK RACK and STORMED OUT….THATS PASSION!!!

and IRVING LOVED IT.

thats what drives a team to SUCCESS….to that level we OWNED,,,,we CREATED. but is now occupied by the magical Chemistry of the Detroits, Ottawas and Anahiems….

Chances are given when its neccessary to take the CHANCE.

it is not neccessary to take a ‘chance’ when we are moving in the right direction and WINNING…thats all I’m saying.

When there is ‘turbulence’ then corrective action is accepted….debated but accepted…

People were calling for Kovalev’s head last year (not me) this year its give him the ‘C’.
    and most recently Ryder….if he keeps it up, he’ll be praised more often than not.

Short term thinkers…..or “tinkers”….thats my debate, my argument.

I don’t agree with CHANGE when its uncalled for. Then you have to question WHY? POLITICS?
    SKILLS? BAD JUDGEMENT?…just like that ridicules report card.

SIMPLY…its a disservice to the ‘LOCKES’ to give them a chance that is really NO CHANCE AT ALL.
    where is locke tonight?

that is my case.

48. Kingkomi says:

does anyone know why a hog like chara gets into the all star game and not komi?

49. Kingkomi says:

remember what happened to leclair…..keep ryder

50. The Teacher says:

Interesting article by Duthie concerning the All-star game skills competition and new shootout skills competition.

Interesting that you can start from anywhere on the ice, even from behind the net.

Sad that only a total of 6 players will take part. 8 or 10 would have been better.

New fastest skater scheme also. Interesting.

51. Sulemaan says:

Prof,

If you think you can properly assess a player based on their performance of one game then it’s time I registered for another class than yours. ;-)

If you look a players like Plekanec, A. Kostitsyn and others (to name a few) they did not light it up in their first game. Locke has paid his dues in the minors and done well just as #14 and #46 did. There is nothing wrong with giving him a fair chance.

That allows us to avoid giving away players for nothing who succeed elsewhere (Beauchemin anyone?). And Dick Irvin may have been a good coach but the best was Toe Blake. Even Rocket Richard said that Blake was a better coach than Irvin. And Blake nurtured and took care of his prospects and young players to build dynasties.

I think you feel the same way because you seem rather upset (not that I blame you) that Price and Chipchura were sent down. So what’s wrong with Locke getting an opportunity as well? Being fickle has nothing to do with it.

52. The Teacher says:

Throw more than Ryder? I don’t think you’re quite on-base with that one. Stoll offers different things but is still a project, whereas Ryder is proven talent.

53. nightmare_49 says:

Good read and the 4th line has been playing good of late , with the exception of last game’s giveaway , and any goals scored against them lately were not really their fault and they have shown a great tempo which is contagious. With 4 players vying for the 2 spots available to play with Streit. IMO rotating them will keep them sharp for the future. Depth and versatility is a strong asset for our run at a playoff spot. BTW Milroy and D’Agostini have been playing lights out , the last two weeks , with the Dawgs according to the Hamilton announcers. Happy Days.

54. TradeRyder says:

Smolinski on the fourth line is a luxury? Yeah, like a bed made out of gold bricks. Expensive but who wants it?

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

55. TradeRyder says:

Do it!

That might actually happen. I agree with the dog, we’d need to throw something in there.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

56. ebk says:

I had heard Jarret Stoll for Michael Ryder

57. Smart Dog says:

Edmonton would be a likely trading partner. Stoll would make sense. He’s about all they have of interest that they could afford to see go. Ryder for Stoll? In a heartbeat. We’d need to give a pick too… or how about Breezer?? lol

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

Read a rumour on Yahoo! Sports that Gainey might be interested in Jarret Stoll in Edmonton. Could just be a slow day for sports news.

59. idle says:

I’m not sure about a summit, but I bet there are some people on here that would gladly organize a roller derby. You could have the Price, Chipchura, Obryne fans on one team and the Huet, Brisebois, Gainey fans on the other (I would have said the Carbonneau fans but then the second team might only be 3 or 4 players)

60. TommyB says:

Totally agree with your statements, 24 cups. Now, let’s see if Washington can continue to pay him over the length of the contract…hell, let’s see if Washington can even remain in the league over the length of his contract!

61. idle says:

Dave,

If you are not too busy with other things then can you please explain:

Who you feel were the best butterfly goalies over the years, keeping in mind that they style has improved through the years as well.

What are the other styles currently in play by multiple goalies. Seems to me that now a days you are either a butterfly goalie, stand-up goalie, or some sort of freak.

(oops, replied to the wrong post. Should be one thread down)

62. TommyB says:

I guess that really puts an end to all the speculation of Ovy coming to Montreal. Too bad, because I for one would have loved to see him wearing the CH. Such are the realities of “your new NHL”. We will just have to grow our own….somehow, I think Mr. Gainey has always known that.

TSN is saying the contract is for 6 years at $9 million and then 7 years at $10 million for a total of $124 mil.

I’m not sure if this is dirty pool or not but it sure looks like Ovechkin pulled a fast one on agent Don Meehan. Meehan was his original agent when Ovechkin signed his three year entry level contract. He received the league mamimum of $3.85 million a year for 3 years. In other words, $12 million. I would assume that Meehan got about 5% of that – $600000 grand. So then in the third year of the contract Ovechkin let’s Meehan go and brings in his mother as his agent (paging Vince Carter). So in theory, dear sweet Tatiana is going to get 5% of $124 mil. Ovechkin still gets to declare that as a business expense and mommy gets to gross about $475000 grand a year for 13 years. In other words, the same kind of yearly coin that Dave Stubbs makes at the Gazette:-) Don Meehan? He’s out a cool $6.2 mil over the lifetime of the contract. Didn’t take the Russians long to adapt themselves to the evil ways of capitalism!

Having said all of that, I still wish we had of signed him instead of Washington:-)

64. ebk says:

The Smolinski signing to date as been another Free Agent disaster for the Habs. His injury, while unfortunate for him, help turn around the season. When Brisebois,Begin and Smolinski got injured it changed the dynamic of this team.

K2 and Lapierre give the team the added depth they were missing earlier in the season. Now the Habs have three lines that can score and compete on a nightly basis. The Canadiens no longer live or die on their PP. 47 goals in the last 13 games, 33 at even strength, demonstrate statistically , what can be seen on the ice.

Carbo would be foolish to mess with the chemistry that has developed the last 13 games or so. Inserting Smolinski on the top three lines would be a huge mistake.

I thought Smolinski’s time had passed as a Hab but I have changed my mind about that. Smolinski on the fourth line is a nice luxury to have. If Smolinski can get back to playing like he is capable, this team now has a 4th line that is much better than it has been all season. Smolinski at center with any of Dandenault, Streit, Kostopoulos or Begin give the Canadiens a 4th line that can play limited but quality minutes.

It was clear from the start of the year that the 3rd and 4th lines needed to be better for this team to get where it wanted to go. K2 and Lapierre helped upgrade the 3rd line and in the process pushed the old 3rd line back one spot and seemed to have upgraded the 4th line as well.

Now if Michael Ryder can get his butt in gear this team will be even more dangerous the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks for reading

65. TommyB says:

Dave Stubbs is right, the Habs Summit held back in October was basically concieved, set up, and seen through by a couple of individuals who frequented this site last year. For the most part, the new group of posters this year have pretty much put such a negative damper on the “Summit”, and have almost chased away those responsible for setting it up. Remember all the posts back in the early part of the season criticizing “all the Summiteers” talk on this site? You remember, don’t you? We should stick to discussion on the Habs and their players, and leave the “Summit” talk to more private venues?

There is a new sherrif in town, so to speak! So…you need to speak to these new posters this year. Maybe a couple of them will set up a “Summit II”. Somehow, I doubt it will happen. And…if it does, be forewarned that you must not discuss on this site the great time you had at such Summit.

Much thanks to Dave Stubbs, Mike Boone, and the Montreal Gazette for their great support of our Summit back in October. They added the little touches that helped to make it something special, and those of us who attended were very appreciative!

But, I hate to drop the bomb on this year’s HIO posters, our Summit was not put together by the Gazette et al. You want a Summit this year…you better get to work.

66. southp says:

It’s going to be a tough one tonight. The Bruins won’t forget what happen in the first 4 meetings this year!

67. idle says:

I did read it, but without the knowledge that he had already signed.

Cheers

68. Odie Clegorn says:

JT,
    Just curious-is that a photo from the Placentia area?

69. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Tough to comment right now..we don’t know what the lineup is,
    and that MEANS ALOT RIGHT NOW.

with CHIP (out) BREEZE, SMOKE, LOCKE as variables???

like I said the other day…WE’VE HAD OUR GUTS RIPPED OUT…the team is DISMEMBERED…

CARB had it running like a swiss clock, 7W in the last 12…GREAT CHEMISTRY.

then he feels obligated to RE-INSERT the HASBEENS….JOKE.

and most of us weak kneed fickle fans comment “its ok”, “give them a chance”, “give them a second chance”, “Locke needs his chance”.

THERE IS NO “CHANCE” HERE….listen to MR.IRVIN in the ROCKET to see what methodology a REAL COACH lives and breaths…

oh I forgot, we have to showcase for trades, oh ya and the biggest joke, sending a champion kid down to work on his FACEOFFS!!!!!

ye of fickle faith.

70. Xtrahabsfan says:

Pat,I could not have said that any better except for this: You know we are in trouble when our superstar Kovalev”and he is this year” is also our enforcer!lol

71. Dave Stubbs says:

The first Fan Summit was the product of the fertile imaginations and enormous work of Inside/Out readers. The Gazette had very little to do with it, other than provide encouragement and say hello once everyone arrived in Montreal.

That’s the way it will remain, and must be. There wouldn’t be enough hours in the day for us to organize it. Surely those responsible for the first one will see your note, T-roy, and table it here for any discussion.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

72. cautiousoptimist says:

Come on boys!!! Win us some wings!!!!

73. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Its not just about goon hits…hockey is a physical game.

our captain is regularly smacked around…thats unacceptable.

and he is one of our tougher players….

74. Dave Stubbs says:

“Butterfly-style” suggests the style pioneered in the 1950s by Detroit Red Wings then Chicago Blackhawks goalie Glenn Hall, in which a goaltender drops to his knees, his legs fanned out toward the posts, leaving him able to cover a large part of the net with his upper body, the lower part with his pads, and give him the ability to spring back up.

Until then, the popular style was the stacking of pads, i.e., a goalie sliding toward the shooter on his side with his pads stacked one atop the other to a) cover the lower side of the net, and b) keep his unmasked face away from the shooter and the puck as much as possible.

Most goalies in today’s NHL use the butterfly or a modified form of it. A notable exception is Dominik Hasek, who looks like a rag doll on drugs. But he gets the job done, so it doesn’t matter if you’re pretty or not. A save looks like a save in the morning summary.

Hope that helps.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

75. Hoegarden says:

Absolutely. If a Terminator becomes available around the Trade Deadline, Gainey should definitely grab the phone.

76. Bill H says:

Well, maybe Alexei Emelin is that player. He won’t be here this year. Hard to say if Habs management will be able to lure him over for next year, or if he will need some time in Hamilton to adapt. He is only 21 years old.

There is a clip of him on Boone’s blog.

Talent Analysis
    An aggressively physical stay at home defensemen, with a strong shot from the point and above average skating. Will need to bulk some to fill out his frame, improve his offensive production, and cut down on penalites.

Emelin hits and annoys the opposition.

77. Habs_008 says:

Amen brother!

78. Habs_008 says:

TSN has not waken up, they have a preview of every leaf game a day before the game, they talk about the leafs before anything else. They have a 3-5 mins on the leafs and 1-2 mins on everyother Canadian team, even thought they are the worst team in Canada, and pretty close to the worst team in the league. CBC and TSN will always show Leafs first, everyone won else second.

79. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

true, wishful thinking on my part.
    BUT as long as they are losing, I do enjoy listening to their misery!

80. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Where in TO or Hamilton?

I went last year to see the Bulldogs in the playoffs. Price was outstanding. His form was way different than it was up in Montreal. He stood up more in the AHL.

I go to the Ricco C. when the Bulldogs come to visit, but I think that Price may be back up to Montreal by the time they come back to TO….

81. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Oh. I didn’t get it…………

82. Sulemaan says:

I don’t follow you.

83. idle says:

Cheers man : )

84. TommyB says:

Regarding your comment on Julien…in Montreal he didn’t have that type of player, so the gooning aspect of his style must have been on the shelf.

85. Bouleau noir says:

Well said Krob, the best physical game ever by a MTL defenseman…. Komisarek was like an animal last night,… hurting and getting hurt fearlessly, screaming, focused, always moving around dangerously ready to pounce at any given time,.. he simply dominated this game…. Andre Savard must have saw all of that coming when he decided to draft him 7th overall.

86. habsguy says:

PGHABS…ya I heard what TSN said, I also read what one of our faithfuls here said lastnight…13 or 30…hummm ?

87. WindsorHab-10 says:

What’s up with the Broad Street Bruins? Their motto seems to be if you can’t beat them then try to really hurt them. I saw a lot of cheap shots by the Bruins and am glad that our team responded with a solid game and really gave it to Boston. Mike Komisarek was bringing it all night and after watching this game, it seems obvious that we need to land an enforcer before one of our star players gets seriously hurt. Great job team and GO HABS GO!!

88. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Great game Boys. We really hammered the big bad Bruins tonight. They were smothered with hits. The Habs belted anything that was moving.

Great game Huet. Made the big saves when called upon.

Great night to be a Habs Fans.

Who’s next?

89. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

The camera got shot of Kivou on the bench talking to Ryder. He was smiling like the cat who ate the canary. It is good to see him smiling again.

GO HABS GO……….

90. Sulemaan says:

I’m happy the Habs beat the Bruins tonight. If there is one team I dislike more than the Leafs, it’s Boston. Especially when they tried to goon it up at the end of the game.

It’s also time for me to eat some crow. I said earlier that Dandenault would be better in the press box eating popcorn. Clearly, I was mistaken in that assessment. Guess that is why I’m not the coach of the Canadiens.

I still believe that Kostopolous should have played tonight especially when things started getting chippy. But maybe not instead of Dandenault per se.

I’m glad the other lines picked up the slack tonight as Koivu’s didn’t do anything offensively and were poor defensively. However, one cannot be perfect every night and we finally have depth. The beauty of rolling 4 equal lines is a wonderful thing.

My only requests are as follows:

(1) We lock Komisarek into a long-term agreement as other posters suggest.
    (2) Huet stays in his net where he belongs and stops roaming about.
    (3) We get O’Byrne back in the lineup so then we have two tough mean defencemen on the blueline.
    (4) Cheap shot artists like Thornton (or Downie for that matter) get their come-uppance when the time comes.
    (5) Carbo keeps the line combinations going as they are. (Stating the sky is blue, I know…)

91. Chuck says:

2-0 Kings…

92. Chuck says:

3-0 Kings.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

Rangers who got smoked tonight 6-2.

94. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Timo. I was talking about Kivou……….

95. Chuck says:

I mean, 4-0.

96. Yeats says:

And, they think people will break the bank to get Sundin? Who?

97. Yeats says:

And, good to see your happy picture. Had a run-in with River Dance on Boone’s blog. I thought it was pretty entertaining, if you’re interested.

98. mrstewart61 says:

Looks like Toronto is aiming for last overall.

I’m impressed with how balanced the scoring has been on our recent streak. Every game seems to be a different line contributing. Here are some stats I looked up since our loss to Dallas:

vs. TB: Koivu, Plek, Kovy 2pts each
    Fla: Higgins 3 Ryder 1
    NYR: Plek & AK46 3pts, Kovy 2
    TB: Higgins & Ryder 3pts each
    Wsh: Plek 3, Kovy 2
    Chi: Koivu/Gui 2pts each
    Bos: Dandy/Streit 2 pts each

The team is now third in the league in scoring.

One other interesting stat from this 7 game streak: Streit 9 points.

Sulemaan – I respect the fact that you ate crow and admitted you were wrong. I’ve already had two helpings myself this week! (goes well with a nice Aussie Shiraz) We need more of that humility on this site!! God help us if Brisebois had of scored the two goals instead of Dandy:-)

100. Chuck says:

I think that Sundin on a good team would really make some hay. It’s the other schleps that he’s saddled with right now that are his real problem.

101. Chuck says:

Andrew Raycroft has the rebound control of a trampoline.

102. mrstewart61 says:

…and the faceoffs tonight:

Lapierre 71%
    Plekanec 60
    Koivu 54
    Smolinski 50

Team: 61%

Now just to improve our PK…

103. Chuck says:

And Buffalo lost again, too. I think that’s 8 in a row now.

104. idle says:

I was just agreeing with you that Tucker was a dirty player.

105. Yeats says:

I don’t know how he looked tonight, but I have always had a place for Darcy Tucker in my heart. I wish he were still one of us. It’s guys like him, Mike Keane, Claude Lemeuix, et al, that help you win the Cup.

106. Chuck says:

On the replays, Lapierre looked as though his glove was almost down on his blade. Nice and agressive… and it showed in the stats.

107. Yeats says:

He’s a garden variety punk. He spouts off and then accuses you of being soo hateful when you go back at him. I went to high school in the South Bronx in the late ’70s and I have no patience for pussies like that.

108. idle says:

There is a difference between noting the negatives and beating the hell out of them. I don’t need to read 20 posts a game slamming Brisebois. Especially when all we are doing lately is playing good games and getting points. WE GET IT. You guys don’t like Brisebois. Life sucks doesn’t it? Maybe for the sake of your heath and happiness you can just ignore him for awhile until he actually starts costing us games. I wouldn’t want you to have a stroke over a Brisebois giveaway.

For that matter watch an NHL game. Tell me how many times the puck is turned over? Why do you think turnovers are a statistic in the NBA but not in the NHL? Because it happens ALL THE TIME in the NHL. No one wants to sit there and count them all. Passes are missed and pucks are turned over constantly. In one penalty kill Komisarek tried 3 times in a row to clear the puck and it was stopped at the blue line. If that was Brisebois he would be drug out into the street and shot. “Breezeby gave the puck away 3 times in 20 seconds!!” But Komisarek is a hero. You go ahead and sit there and see only want you want to see and jump over 1 guys mistakes every change you get and make it seem like it is 20 times worse then it is. If that is what makes you happy then I will not interfere anymore or try to defend any of our players. The next time Brisebois scores a goal in a 3-2 win and people are dumping on him for one giveaway then I will be right there to trash him with the rest of you. Maybe I will make a Brisebois doll and take it to a game and defile it and set it on fire and toss it on the ice. I will even try to hit the sorry sack of shit in the head with it. Maybe then he will get the message that he is not wanted in Montreal. Maybe then he will put his pussy tail between his legs and run out of town like the coward he is.

A bit over the top? Not by our books.

also my reply just happened to land after your post. It is hard to find the right place to post it when there are so many bashers on this site. You took the brunt of it but you are welcome to share it around : )

109. Chuck says:

So far he’s been non-existant. The kind of player you’d want on you team… in his prime. Unfortunately, something’s not right with him this year. I’d guess that his knee is still bothering him.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

Hey Chuck – It’s time for another LA goal. I’m sitting here waiting!

111. Bill H says:

Yes, I noticed Koivu smiling on the bench as well. It was nice to see.

112. Sulemaan says:

Thanks for clarifying. It’s really two bad as he has the skill to be a more disciplined player. He was terrific in junior. He just plays near the edge too much and then goes over it.

113. Chuck says:

Toskala in to start the second period…

114. mrstewart61 says:

It seems to be working for him. They were commenting on that on TSN.

115. Yeats says:

That’s a shame. For good or ill, he was the heart and soul of that team.

116. Bill H says:

Please, no Aussie Shiraz. We have enough whine on this site. ;-0

117. Chuck says:

Under which thread?

118. Chuck says:

…and bad humour. :)

119. Bill H says:

Lapierre played a solid game tonight. Showed very good hustle and was quick to respond when the shoving started. Not to mention the goal and the 71% on face offs. Kinda makes you wonder why the team was doing so poorly on face offs in recent games. Complacency perhaps?

120. Sulemaan says:

Well with good company like this, I’m okay with the bad humour. :-)

(My wife wonders how the hell I can watch a game and use my laptop at the same time!)

121. Yeats says:

Boone’s in game. Probably about three-four pages in.

122. Chuck says:

5-0.

Ho-hum. The laffs are making the Kings look like the Red Wings.

123. Sulemaan says:

Glad I got company Steve! But even if Breeze-By had scored two goals or replicated a Darryl Sittler performance, my opinion of him wouldn’t change much.

124. Yeats says:

Amen to that friend!

125. Chuck says:

They were going to go with J.S. Aubin, but they started Jason LaBarbera (who?)instead. In 23 games, he’s 8-16-2, which is even worst than you’d expect from your backup.

126. Chuck says:

There’s something to be said for multitasking!

127. Sulemaan says:

I liked Mike Keane more than Tucker and Lemieux. Don’t get me wrong, they are the type of guys you hate to play against and love on your team. But I just find Tucker and Lemieux to be very dirty players.

128. Chuck says:

Whatever…

129. Sulemaan says:

Apparently one of the big-wigs from MLSE is on the road-trip (Richard Peddie) with the team. If they got shelled out against Anaheim and then the same is happening with LA, you have to think the Leafs are going to make some moves.

Ferguson (GM) is probably going to get canned and maybe even the coach (Maurice) as well. I personally wouldn’t ever take a job with the Leafs because the management and decision-making structure is brutal. Ken Dryden left the Leafs to go into politics!

I suspect the trading of assets will begin as they need to win 25 of their next 40 games to make the playoffs. Good luck.

Guys like Sundin (if he waives his NTC), Tucker, McCabe and other are probably going to get dealt. They will definitely be a selling team come the trade deadline. Their future looks very bleak right now.

The Habs should try to get another Russ Courtnall for John Kordic trade with them!

130. mar-lin says:

Just a thought here…I wanted to see what you guys think. Do you think maybe koivu is starting to have a hard time not being the man. What i mean is he’s always been our biggest leader but now other younger guys are stepping up big time. I’m not trying to put him down in anyway but just imagine. You’ve been considered or at least expected to be the go to guy for most of your nhl career. Now other guys are comming up and taking control…do you maybe start to wonder were you fit in, maybe even doubt yourself a little? Look what happened to Modano…i’m not saying it’s the same but it does look similar. Again don’t get me wrong, i would love to see Koivu retire a hab after winning a stanley cup with us. I’m a firm believer in loyalty…I just thought it was something worth mentioning.

sorry i had to repost this cause i got pushed to page 2…2 finger typing can be slow ;)

cheers

gohabsgo!

131. Chuck says:

Oops… missed that one while grabbing a cold one. laffs finally score! 5-1.

132. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Price has played ONE GAME in the AHL this year. What are you talking about?

133. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

SO………

What goalie will face the Leafs?

Will they call up Price or will Halak play against the Leafs.

Question.

Does a backup goalie wish that the #1 goalie will suck in order for him to play?

134. Bouleau noir says:

I thought the rivalry BOS-MTL had somewhat faided a bit following the huge Bruins roster changeover after the lock-out…. maybe it did but there is no doubts that its all back this year,… every games seems intensivelly physical in ways we dont see in other confrontations and lets face it the CH seems to do very well in those circumstances and Komisarek always dominate in those kind of game…. this guy is hugely impressive and tough, his hits are not just hits…. they are spectacular hits… amazing stuffs… even Chara can go unnoticed compared with Komi…. but leaving the monsters aside, the most audacious hit this evening came from little Sergei delivering an open ice hit,.. this guy has ” character “.

We harvested 12 points in the last seven game… and scored 32 goals while doing it… quite amazing.

Of course the real tests are ahead in this road trip… starting with the Rangers, in their home.. where they just lost 6-2 tonight in front of their fans… they will be showing their warrior face against us saturday… tonight was a good practice for this up coming confrontation.

135. The Teacher says:

Yeah, I just read that now, he and I got into it as well after Price’s 5 goal game.

136. DYCSoccer17 says:

On an unrelated note, and for what it’s worth, Ryan O’Byrne was the only baby Hab to be named to the AHL All-Star Squad.

137. PGHABS says:

ha, the Leafs have the third worst record in the league, and they’re losing to the worst team in the NHL….. WAHAHAHAHAHA… good riddance. I predict they trade their first and second round picks for immediate help to try to make the playoffs, then finish last and they don’t get the first overall pick.

138. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

EXCELLENT EFFORT BY ALL OUR HABS TONIGHT…

again it is hard to find a ‘major’ problem with our game.

As I feared the goons came at us right from the start, elbows flying and fists connecting, and once again our CAPTAIN has to TAKE MULTIPLE PUNCHES TO THE FACE…when will THIS NOT ONLY STOP? BUT THE ACTION ALONE MUST BE FEARED…it must be a FEARED UNDERTAKING to touch OUR CAPTAIN…we cannot accept that.

and flashbacks to the Great Maurice IN BOSTON being held by the REF’s while he is sucker punched in the face…IT HAPPENED AGAIN, COULDn’T BELIEVE MY EYES…HAMMR WAS HELD BY THE REFS AND SUCKER PUNCHED!

HUET drifting from his crease (please stop) and Brisbrios with his usual 5-6 giveaways and weak play (don’t hit me) in the corners…but the good overshadowed the mistakes.

Great Credit to STREIT…that laser pass to Kovalev was at the highest LEVEL…it was an ALFREDSON LEVEL PASS…and KOVALEVS finish was as expected…BRILLIANT SNIPER.

HIGS and LAP (and Ryder to an extent) were tenacious, REALLY GLAD LAP IS HERE to stay…Kostyjr’s hit, kostysr’s taking hits! etc..too much to mention it was that GREAT!…DANDY, KOMI in destroyer mode…

man those GOONS WERE TAKING RUNS AT US..THAT HAS TO STOP…they won’t be throwing punches at KOIVU if they new that a “NEIL” or a “McGRATTON” was coming at them…

WE NEED OUR OWN JUSTICE…the refs will not protect us…IN FACT THEY’LL HOLD US SO WE CAN GET HIT…

I may have to change my picture back….

139. ebk says:

anyone want a good indication how useless the +/- stat can be.

Komisarek on what may have actually been his best game as a pro was -1.

140. Chuck says:

5-2 Kings with 8 minutes to go.

141. Chuck says:

And barring a miracle comeback, they’ll end this night tied with the fewest wins in the league.

142. Chuck says:

5-2 Kings final.

143. idle says:

And what’s his opinion of you?

144. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you’ve made a valid point and I like that…thats what this is all about…the Hab collective towards one thing…STANLEY CUP.

No problem for chosing to land your Brisbrois defense on this thread, I wasn’t even targeting him specifically but I know what you mean.

I guess most breeze bashers have gone through alot of bad plays by mrbreeze for over a decade…its pent up…

but your point about being slanted towards the positive at this juncture is valid…even for Brisbrois…and in my original comment I did say the positives outweigh the negatives.

145. idle says:

Imagine how awkward Huet will look in his next shutout. I can see it now…

Huet goes behind the net to stop a puck. Maquire starts up immediately “THIS IS NOT CRISTOBAL HUETS GAME RIGHT HERE GORD, HE NEEDS TO STAY IN THE NET. HE DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE PUCK GORD, THIS IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER” Huet shoots the puck around the boards, it hits a seam and bounces out towards the blue line where the opposing player gets it and fires a shot wide. Maquire continues “SEE GORD, THIS IS WHAT I WAS SAYING ABOUT HUET. HE REALLY NEEDS TO STAY IN HIS NET SO HE DOES NOT GIVE UP THESE GREAT SCORING CHANCES. LET YOUR D MEN HANDLE CLEARING THE PUCK AND JUST WORRY ABOUT STOPPING IT”

Then these forums get flooded with ‘Huet is lucky we won’ posts.

ahhh, it will be so fun…

146. idle says:

Right. At that time Tucker was one of the dirtiest player in the league. His stick spent more time on opponents faces then it did on the ice. It has really only been the last few years that he has been a usable player.

147. idle says:

See, I knew Price wasn’t that good. He can’t even make the All Star team in the minor leagues…

148. idle says:

I saw 1 Brisebois giveaway toinight. I still have the game on my digital box so anyone is free to point out others. Go ahead, I want game times posted so I can go back and see them.

FFS Cant we shut the hell up about Brisebois. You little whinny spoiled litte brats. Can you just shut up and be happy. We are WINNING. We are getting many points. Shut up and be happy and be thankful we are not like the Leafs. As a Habs fan who has had to sit though some pretty lousy seasons over the past few years I only want to ENJOY the current success. Even if it only last a short while and ESPECIALLY if it only lasts a short while I want to REVEL in it, not pick at it like it is an itchy scab.

149. G-Man says:

TSN mentioned that the Habs are #3 overall in goals. I guess (insert insult to his intelligence here) Carbo’s “system” is working, after all. I am very happy to see it and satisfied to finally see scoring balance. It’s January, when contenders begin to knuckle down and separate themselves from the pretenders. I’m not saying “see you at the parade” just yet, but it’s great to see excellent passing, speed and toughness on display. Against an inferior squad like Boston (imagine the fuss here if we traded Joe Thornton away?), the Habs dominated and it only took a 2-0 lead before the goons were allowed out. Usually, it take a 3-0 lead! Enjoy the ride, everyone, this team looks like it is beginning to gel.

Gilbert

I’m not sure they have any Russ Courtnalls to be honest.

151. nightmare_49 says:

LA only has back up goalies but Labarbera is considered #1 as of now and he’s in nets tonite.

Well I think most people would agree that we watched two pretty entertaining games this week against Chicago and Boston. The opposition may not have been elite competition but I was on the edge of my seat all night long. Most of the main points about last night’s game have been discussed but here are a few secondary observations for what it’s worth.

– Huet may have given up a soft one on Boston’s second goal but he saved the day early in the first period. Georges made a horrendous turnover and Huet stopped the Boston player with a great save. A Boston goal there could have changed the entire complexion of the game. Huet also made a super save in the 2nd period (with the game still on the line) after a Kovalev giveaway. He starts against the Rangers on Saturday no questions asked.

– I realize that Claude Julien is trying to emulate Coco Lemaire but what gives with the gooning once his team starts to fall behind? Was he like this when he coached the Habs? For the life of me, I can’t remember.

– Why is Marc Savard trying to play like Terry O’Reilly or Stan Jonathon? That’s certainly not what he’s paid for and he’s exposing himself to injury. He could be Patrice Bergeron if he’s not careful.

– Who picks the three stars at the Gazette? (Kovalev, Pleks, Dandy) I realize that you could have selected at least 5 Montreal stars last night but am I the only guy who thought that the first star of the game was Komisarek, hands down? My 6 stars of the game were: Komisarek, Kovalev, Lapierre, Pleks, Dandy, Markov (28 game minutes).

– Only a poor sport would bring up the fact that the Lousy Leafs got hammered again last night and are now 12 points behind the Habs, so I won’t mention it.

153. nightmare_49 says:

I love the lafs road trip their on and the results , sweet. It looks like Andrew Raycroft is on the Road to Aebischer , another great move by JFJr. Three points out of the cellar , sweeter.

154. imafogdevil says:

Morning all,

Great game last night. Some observations from the past few games;

1. I think that the lines as they are should not change. Swapping in Kostop and Dandenault isn’t too bad, but I think Dandy is the better option on that line.
    2. Lapierre has replaced Begin as the energy guy. Plus he has better hockey sense. Maybe Begin goes in as the 4th center, and replaces Smolinski.
    3. When O’Byrne returns, nobody will want to mess with us in front of the net. Briesbois will be a well-paid cheerleader then.
    4. Ryder still passes when he should shoot, and vice-versa. Last night in the 2nd, he shot when he should have passed to Higgins, who would have had a great opportunity to score. He is playing better though. Would have liked to have seen him go after Wideman (?) last night too. Earn some respect there if he did.
    5. Alex Kovalev cares. His game is solid this year.

Keep it up!

BTW. I am going to see my first Habs game on Feb 23rd. Soooo excited to go. Bonus that its Bob Gainey Number Retirement night. Excellent!

155. idle says:

It’s called a joke

156. idle says:

It’s been fun to watch games where there are high speed, skilled plays and they are coming from OUR team. No longer do we have to wait two and a half periods to see the Habs score and if they do score in the first period we don’t have to wonder if that is going to be the only goal of the night for them.

157. Habs_008 says:

I’m Also going to that game, it is going to be amazing, there is nothing like seeing a game in MTL, it is by far the best place to see a game, I have been to 2 games there, I cant wait for that game.

158. idle says:

Of course not. He just hopes he gets hit by a truck.

Probably Huet will just start against Toronto. It’s not like he will never play against Toronto again and I doubt he is going to lose every game against them.

159. idle says:

You can also include Streit in your stars. Two assists off of great passes and lots of energy and play making. One of his better games of late and hopefully showed a bit of why some people (someone was mentioning Maguire) are fond of his play. Maybe answered a few of his doubters too?

160. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Enjoy it der bye…….

Don’t get sloshed cause ye won’t remember a ting. LOL……..

I’s goin to see Price play in Hamliton tonite. I can’t afford to play da big $$$ to see da Habs…….

Anyway have fun….Show us da “NEWFOUNDLAND LOVES THE HABS”
    BANNER…… I’ll watch for it.

161. nightmare_49 says:

You picked a special night for your 1st game and i’m sure you’ll be in anxiety mode till then , enjoy. Begin at center only in real desparation , you did mention hockey sense didn’t you.

162. Sulemaan says:

My comments regarding Leaf assets was made tongue in cheek. The only thing they would want are prospects and picks, the last things we should be trading. :-)

163. krob1000 says:

That was possibly the best physical game by a defenseman in Montreal in my lifetime….I don’t think I am exaggerating….I am probably wrong but I can’t remember a better one. He was as force and he was the first star in my opinion as well. Boston tried two or three times to capture the momentum by getting physical and I actually think it might have worked if not for Komisarek drilling someone every few minutes. Hamrlik got sucker punched but deserves some kudos for even dropping his gloves with an enforcer standing in front of him.

164. Sulemaan says:

When I start making $4.5 Million a season as he did a few years ago (played soft, flew to Paris in the middle of the season, was horrible defensively).
    Brisebois is certainly entitled to an opinion on me. Hell, when I start making $700k per year he can provide an opinion of me but I’m just a fan and I suspect he has other things to worry about, right?

165. cautiousoptimist says:

Up with positive posts! Down with itchy scabs!

166. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

the good and the bad must be said….and must allow to be said.

so you shut the hell up in regards to telling people what they can or can’t say.

you saw him with 1 giveaway..thats great and I appreciate your comment.

I saw more and other aspects of his game that I hope he will improve while he is in the lineup…isn’t that what this sites about, voicing your opinion on a game, play or opponent and having it read or commented by others who share a passion for success with our Habs.

When warranted (which has been very frequently lately) I always fill my comments with all the positives I saw, I don’t harp on a NEGATIVE and blow it up..even changing my NAME as some here do to press a NEGATIVE POINT.

but were not perfect…nor should our comments be all praise.

167. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

take your glasses off and see the WHOLE game.

95% of the game was GREAT….so 95% of the post is POSITIVE.

168. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

another record I believe Toronto has is they face all the BACKUPS.

that’ll tell you something.

169. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

agreed on KOMI….HAMR WAS HELD by the REFS….just like the ROCKET…

170. Habs_008 says:

I’m going to a Bulldog game on Feb 9th. Price might be back with the big club by then. Let me know how the bulldog games are, so I know what to expect.

171. Bill H says:

I too was surprised that Komisarek did not get first star. I agree with your six star list, along with idle’s inclusion of Streit. Lapierre must be floating on air after the game he played. I hope the coach acknowledges his contribution.

172. Jay in PA says:

By the logic of regression to the mean, if it’s about time that Boston beats us, then it’s also about time that we beat Ottawa and NJ. I’ll take that trade-off.

We’ve had weak games recently (e.g., Washington), but the team is good enough that it hasn’t been completely dominated in a while. While I don’t think we’re necessarily due for a loss, I will agree that this game isn’t the lock that a game against, say, Tampa should be.

173. idle says:

You can win or lose any game in this leauge. I did not mean to suggest that we shouldn’t lose this game, just surprised to hear so much doom and gloom when we are playing well.

174. idle says:

What will it take for you guys to gain a bit of confidence in this team. Huet has not lost a game in regulation time (we have gotten at least 1 point) in his last 8 starts. EIGHT. Goals are not the end of the world. 3 Goals is not the end of the world. I understand that you can’t always count on your offense to score 4 or 5 goals in a game but at the start of the year the team was scoring very few goals and all the pressure was on the goalies. Now it’s the offense’s turn to carry the team for a bit.

As long as we keep getting points then all is well.

175. mjames says:

Yes all want a win but mean reversion theorists would tell you that (i) we are due for a weak game and (ii) it is about time that Boston beat us.

mjames

176. TradeRyder says:

Woo Hoooo!!! A Barn Burner!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

177. kevinhabs says:

This was deja vu all over again from Dec.6, these 2 teams last meeting before tonight. Montreal got out to a 3-0 lead before Boston cut it to 3-2, just like tonight. And then here’s the real crazy stat. Dandenault scored to make it 4-2 in that game, Dandy scores in this game to make it 4-2 and then adds the 5-2 goal. When I saw him score that 4th goal, I freaked out.

178. Smart Dog says:

Okay it’s done! Stop bustin’ my balls!
    ________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress, Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

179. Smart Dog says:

Go Habs – eat those Bruins! AGain! LOL LOL

Smart Dog is not too, too happy about that 2nd Dandenault goal, because without it he would have predicted the correct score AGAIN! But what the hey – we won a GREAT game.

Great hit by Andre Kostitsyn in that 3rd… he really got into it. Komi truly WAS a Monster. Kovalev, Plekanic, their usual magic. Streit was good this game (you won’t hear me say that often!).

And Timo – how about that HUET!! Can’t fault him on the first goal – the man was everywhere… .second goal, okay he shouldn’t try to handle the puck. But a solid game with one gaff is just fine. C’mon Timo, say you’re happy!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

180. Roy-Rules says:

It was little Kots who laid out that hit. You said it, Komi was a monster… those hits were bone crushing, we better sign him long term ’cause he’s getting better and better every year. Kovalev, what a beauty of a goal.

181. LTHF says:

Great start- Carbo was saying Ryder has to produce , will how does he sitting on the bench — had 2:50 ice team the least among forwards and still managed an assist

182. Kingkomi says:

is there any way to watch the game in NYC

Just a quick reminder to everyone that this game is on TSN tonight at 7:30.

184. TradeRyder says:

Rangers, Lighting, Canes, all losers tonight. Not bad.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

185. Bouleau noir says:

Lapierre is an agitator and pushing is what they do to draw penaltys and get their teams PP opportunitys,… I am glad that Chara holded himself on that one cause in the end we didn’t need an extra goal to win the game.

186. TommyB says:

I might be inclinded to agree with your statement of Komisarek looking like a young Robinson, at least the hard body checking part. But to compare to Robinson, he would need to put more than slightly more points on the gamesheet. Robinson was a monster on both sides of the game!

187. Hoegarden says:

Is it too early to say that in Komisarek we have a “young Robinson” on the horizon ? Markov better get ready to handle most of the traffic coming down the ice as the left lane is pretty hazardous.

Streit. It must be a code word for “silent but deadly” the way he passes the puck. Sign this guy NOW, he’s our secret weapon.

Lapierre pushing Chara. I had to shake my head on that one. Easy Max, you’re young and foolish, especially when the B’s are losing.

The best part of the game was when Koivu was in trouble and every Habs on the ice showed up. We have a team.

188. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

good points…Lap surprised me, calling Chara’s bluff. As for Koivu, yes i think Striet showed up BUT thats all they did, show up…the B should have been face washed and slapped around a bit…thats what Souray would (and did) do….we are missing that element now and it will cost us in the playoffs when the refs step back and the game gets nasty.

take a look at the composition of Anahiem…or should I say ANIMALS….

189. PGHABS says:

So much for those Ovechkin trade rumours (not that i believed any of them)…Tsn had it right the other night when they said trade rumours were made by thirteen year olds in their parents basements, and 30 year olds in their parents basements.

As for the game, what a game! Great hits, great goals from the Canadiens, nice effort, everyone was throwing hits, this team would be total daisies without Mike Komisarek.

190. G-Man says:

Intensity? Yup. Grit? Yup. Big time hitting? Yup. What a game!

Gilbert

191. Yeats says:

I really like your pictures, but of the two this one is my favorite. You truely look like you are ready for the second-half run! All the best, Brian.

192. TradeRyder says:

Should be two suspensions that game – for the elbow for sure, and for the sucker punch on Hamrlik. How is that different than the one the other day by Downie. I’ll tell you how: not at all.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

193. Smart Dog says:

Funny – that looks a lot like your pissed-off-at-Carbo face.

And that guy is right I think, it was Sergei with that hit… yeah, should be a suspension. I bet the league doesn’t even look at it. Got Komi fired up though – some Bruins are gonna be hurting in the morning. Whoever plays the Bruins next should send a ‘thank you’ card to Komisaurus.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

194. TradeRyder says:

Wow – the Laffs against La-La land. A battle between losers. Toss a coin.
    The Laffs are goners anyway. Imagine waking up to newspapers full of articles about trading your captain. hahahaha… might as well get some fun out of it!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

195. TradeRyder says:

Yeah, and that sucked too…

I feel for Koivu. It’s like he’s got something on his mind. Still brilliant sometimes and works his tail off every game, just not all game. I hope it’ not his health. Whatever – he’s one of few guys I’d support even if he’s not his best (and he’s still pretty good).

Did you see that cross-ice pass by Plekanic by the wya, off the right boards right onto someone’s stick (forget who). He was looking in the opposite direction. I think Pleks has just started to play hockey… just the beginning for that guy. He’s the ONE guy I pray they don’t trade. Next to him I guess, Komi, K1, K2.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

Sorry Timo, Koivu didn’t have a solid game. Another dumb penalty in the third on Chara after the play and he failed to get the puck out of our end after Huet’s mishandling behind the net. I love Koivu but it’s becoming obvious that he is now our #2 centre. Once Pleks starts winning faceoffs on a consitent basis he will take over the #1 role permanently. And you know what? That’s OK. A little less pressure might be good for Koivu as this team moves forward in the next few years.

The Original 24 Cups

The captain of the team doesn’t always have to be the best player or in the prime of their careers. I think Koivu is a leader and is well respected by the players and the fans. Other captains in the NHL over the years have remained great leaders even though their icetime and scoring ability had diminished.

A related sore spot with me is the way the Habs treated some of their captains back in the 90’s. We basically ran Keane, Turgeon, and Damphousse out of town. That’s not in keeping with the Habs’ storied past and should never be repeated again. Gainey and Carbo were both captains and I’m sure they would see it that way too.

198. Chuck says:

I don’t think that there’s a player in the locker room that would have the balls to either take or accept the C from Koivu.

199. mar-lin says:

cheers

gohabsgo!

200. idle says:

I think he would probably rather have even more guys who are the man and a Stanley Cup to go along with them.

Just a guess though.

201. idle says:

I agree Chuck. I think the Habs could try to give the C to someone else but I doubt they would have much luck getting someone to take it. At least not yet. Another year or two…

202. linp says:

Now we can start dreaming to play Boston in the 1st round of the playoff.

Hopefully Tampa keeps losing so that the Laffs won’t get the #1 draft pick.

203. Chuck says:

Don’t worry; the laffs would blow that, too!

As I type this, the Kings score to make it 1-0.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

Don’t worry Lin – The Lousy Leafs will probably swap their #1 pick for Tom Kurvers at the trade deadline!

205. idle says:

No, lets start dreaming of playing the Bruins in the Conference finals.

206. Smart Dog says:

You’re right – it was K2. I just saw the 4 on the jersey but it was on the right side (74) not the left (46). Way to go Sergei!
    ________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

207. RetroMikey says:

I am not surprised at how we are playing better as the season progresses. We’ve got entertaining hockey, team chemistry, depth and the team is having fun!

Who says that Smolinski and Brisebois are washed up? Bah humbug I say! These guys are gonna help us down the stretch!

As long as we play hard, hustle game in and out as I have always stated, we are gonna surprise alot of teams in the playoffs.

I believe we are going to see competitive and entertaining hockey in Montreal for years to come courtesy of Bob Gainey, and the rest of the scouting and coaching staff!

Carey Price will come back a better goalie, Kyle as well.

Wow! We have so much depth on the Bulldogs system as well!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

208. RiverviewCanadien says:

LMAO

209. Da Hema says:

I think that was the best game I had ever see Komisarek play. He was simply a force out there. I am merely adding to the voices with this: Bob needs to sign Komisarek to a long-term contract. We want him to stay. We have not had such an intimidating player since Ludwig and Chelios menacingly patrolled our defensive zone. It is clear: Komisarek makes everyone on the Habs 10 pounds heavier and braver. Would Sergei have made that hit if Komisarek had not been setting the tone? Thank God we finally have a player who truly does intimidate other teams.
    _________________________________________________________
    “We’re looking forward to building the type of team the Rangers are able to buy.”
    –Phoenix GM (and former Hab) Bobby Smith

210. Bill H says:

According to the Habs website, the game is nationally televised on CBC. But I just checked my Rogers program guide and it says the Sat. night game is Detroit vs the Sens. That’s for Toronto area. Too bad. I thought 3 Habs games in a weeks was too good to be true. It turns out I was right. I will not trust the schedule on the Habs website anymore.

211. joe-hab-nuno says:

I was working last night but i tried watching the game as much as i can since there are tv’s at work. I liked the energy the game was played at. One thing that i loved seeing., I don’t know what Boston player it was. The guy came flying towards Komi who was near the corner of the boards. I was thinking “this guy is going to crush Komi” when he hit Komi the boards rattled like crazy. The guy went down so fast and Komi just stayed up and started skating out of our zone. Loved seeing that. That Streit pass to Kovi was a beaute and that play of Dandy’s second goal was also a beaute.

212. Hoegarden says:

Lucic was the player.

213. TradeRyder says:

Hey Habs fans…

How many of you would be willing to cancel your TSN subscription? I would. I am Soooooooooooooo tired of all the Leafs coverage and the poor Habs coverage. Paul Maurice farts and we get to hear about it.

My French is bad; I only understand half of what’s said, but I’d drop TSN and just watch RDS if others would join with me and we could make it a movement. I could make a website for it…http://www.boycottTSN.com Anyone with me??

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

214. T-roy West says:

Correction to previous post:

Hey everyone! The UFC is apparently coming to Montreal on April 19th and I was wondering that if Montreal was still playing then, would anyone like to get together and watch George St. Pierre take his belt back and get together for a hockey game or just one or the other. I think it would be a blast and I will definately be there no matter what. I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this matter and from anyone who might be interested in attending. George St. Pierre, Habs playoff game and hanging out with fellow habs fans. Now that is what I call a good time!!!!

Personally, I like Jessica Simpson. Be careful.

216. imafogdevil says:

Jessica Simpson isn’t going to be in Dallas for the game this weekend. Maybe she’s following the Leafs. That’s what’s wrong!

217. Habs_008 says:

I hope she tires “Romo” out before Sunday’s game, I really want the Giants to WIN! As for the leafs, I knew this was gonna happen to them, Im just surprised it took this long. They were lucky to get wins last year and even this year. They didnt get better over the summer, They have the worst Management in the league, And all there dumb moves are finally showing. This team needs to start from scratch. The only player I would want from them is Sundin.

218. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

very possible explanation for their demise!

but didn’t some laff nude pictures surface on the net? and isn’t there a movie about homosexual leaf players coming out soon?…so i don’t think a girl could distract them!

219. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

The Habs are enjoying the sun in Florida now a days. They won two straight down in the Sunhine State.

The Laffs on the other hand can’t handle the heat. The stupid Buggers (can I say that word) go out to the beach, they all get heat stroke and get there butts Whoopped all over Califonia….

Don’t ya just love it ???????????

Yeah Baby Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

220. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

don’t forget that when the laffs played in dallas, the whole team had box seats to go and watch the cowboys….it was for gelling purposes!

its really done them well!

221. cautiousoptimist says:

Alex Ovechkin signs record $124 million deal with Capitals.

222. RiverviewCanadien says:

Should be a good game tonight. Hopefully we come out on top. Lets all cheer for the best damn team ever!!!

GO HABS GO!
    GO HABS GO!
    GO HABS GO!

223. AndyF says:

You know what it is, folks?

It’s rolling 4 lines. By this point in the season, players who play 27 minutes a game are getting pretty tired. But the Habs just keep on rolling.

I like Carb’s coaching. He still needs a few tweaks, but overall his system is a good one.

224. TradeRyder says:

History is on our side but I think that momentum isn’t. Hoping for a win of couse but not expecting it. I’m hoping 5-1 Habs but guessing 2-1 Bruins. Even without their new “LeClair” Ryder. ;)

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

225. JF says:

I think I agree. Tim Thomas has been very good lately, while Huet had a tough game on Tuesday, perhaps still recovering from the effects of the virus he had last week. A soft goal in this one could cost us the game.

226. Smart Dog says:

Big game! The boys know it’s a four-pointer, and they know how to get to these guys. I wish we had Chipchura in and I’m nervous about having the Breezer and Smokey, but let’s hope coming back from injury rehab has given a spring to his step and he’s the player he can be. Tough one to call, but I’m going optimistically with Habs 4-2.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

Hey SmartDog – When are you going to add Lats to your ‘Future Looks Bright’ signoff? You promised to correct this oversight;-)

228. J.T. says:

Tim Thomas will be the difference in this one. If he’s hot, it’ll be a tight game. If he’s beatable early, the Habs will roll to victory. I think Huet will be strong tonight, as he rarely has two shakey games in a row, and the Bruins offence has been struggling. We’ll know the lay of the land after the first ten minutes.

229. Smart Dog says:

I agree with you… in my 4-2 prediction I was imagining Huet would let in a soft one or two late in the game. Doh! Its all my fault! Bad Dog! But you’re right, Huet almost always bounces back solid…. and I did predict a Huet shut-out after the last game. So I guess I’m hedging my bets on this one.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

230. LTHF says:

If Brisbois and Smolinski is in tonight– who is sitting?

231. Habs_008 says:

It will be close, these two teams play a similar style, they will hold back and wait for the other team to make a mistake in the first period. Montreal has been scoring a lot more goals lately. I give the edge to the habs. I hope we bury those cockaroaches…….

232. idle says:

Funny you should say that. I have been playing Scarface : The World Is Yours so much lately that the line between reality and fantasy is starting to blur…

So are my eyes…

233. martin says:

we have to win i can’t take the shame of losing to boston. Too many bruins fans where I’m from.

234. Habs_008 says:

Yeah, I had the same feeling when I was playing Mass Effect, Great game…..

235. Corio says:

I love when we play Boston, always a good game, lots of goals, lots of hitting! GO HABS!

236. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

The picture above with Dandy, Cube and Gorges is great….thats the kind of brotherhood that will give us strength to succeed down the stretch and into the playoffs…its sincere chemistry and the boys will stickup for each other.

237. HABZ 24 says:

ITS HAPPY DAYS IN HABLAND FELLOWBABYS!! OUR HABS ARE GIVING IT THERE ALL.LAST NIGHTS GAME WAS SO INTENSE,SO FAST LIKE A PLAYOFF GAME.GREAT TO WATCH.KOMISERICK IS AS MCGUIRE SAYS A MONSTER OUT THERE, LEADING THE LEAGUE IN BLOCKED SHOTS, HITTING GUYS WITH A VENGENCE AND GIVING IT 100%.IMAGINE WHAT HE’LL ASK FOR AT HIS NEXT CONTRACT AS HE ONLY GETS BETTER.HABS ARE AWESOME, BEANTOWN BUMMS SUCK AND THE MAPLE LAUGHS ARE THE JOKE OF THE LEAGUE. LOVE IT!!GO HABS GO!!

238. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

what is equally amazing is how TSN (toronto sports network) has totally come onto the HABS SIDE!….they are actually PRAISING THE HABS…they have no choice now! and I think the marketing bean counters have discovered that there just maybe MORE HAB fans then LAFFS…

now we just need the CBC to wake up.

239. Hoegarden says:

How could I forget my favorite whining about the Habs; Faceoffs — Every Hab playing centre last night had an above 50% score, including Lapierre at 71% .