Game 42: Pacioretty caps Canadiens’ comeback

Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty celebrates his winning goal with teammate
P.K. Subban Saturday night at the Bell Centre.
Coallier, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game
 Quick Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Max Pacioretty | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Mathieu Darche | Scott Gomez | James Wisniewski | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: For more than 57 minutes on Saturday night, the Canadiens looked like they were headed to a shutout loss to the Boston Bruins. Then, lady luck shined her light on the Canadiens, who got a few lucky bounces to tie the game before Max Pacioretty fired a bullet past Tim Thomas 3:43 into overtime for a 3-2 win, Montreal’s third straight win over the Bruins this season. It was also the first time the Canadiens have managed to win a game in which they were trailing after 40 minutes after going 0-15-1 in previous situations. After a scoreless first period, Patrice Bergeron made the Canadiens pay for some defensive miscues in the second period. With just over four minutes played, he took a pass from Blake Wheeler and fired a one-timer past Carey Price, who was caught moving his right to block a Wheeler shot when the forward passed the puck to Bergeron. About eight minutes later, Bergeron slid the puck past Price after a Zdeno Chara rebound wasn’t cleared from the front of the net. The Canadiens thought they had a goal in the third period, but it was ruled that Mathieu Darche batted the puck behind Tim Thomas with a high stick. They eventually did beat Thomas when Scott Gomez took an innocent looking shot on the power play from the side boards that went off Chara’s skate and between Thomas’s legs, who looked stunned when he spotted the puck behind him. That sparked the Canadiens, who tied the game with 48 seconds to play when a shot by James Wisnieski was stopped by Thomas, but deflected directly off Brian Gionta’s skate and into the net. This one was also reviewed, but there was no doubt the goal was good.
• Key Moments:
Not only did the Canadiens allow two goals in the second period, they lost forward Michael Cammalleri, who left the game with an injury and did not return. After the game, however, head coach Jacques Martin said Cammalleri was sick and is battling a virus.

• What It Means: Montreal improves to 23-16-3 for 49 points, tied with the Bruins, but they remain in second place in the Northeast Division – and eighth in the Eastern Conference – because the Bruins have two games in hand.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are in New York on Tuesday to take on the Rangers and then travel back to Montreal to face the Penguins the next nigh. The Rangers are in Montreal next Saturday.

1. weightman25 says:

who invited this guy?

2. observer says:

HOW MANY DID SEGUIN score tonight against habs?  zero! more  proof how  great a gm burke is!

3. habs63 says:

After I made this post, I realized Weber was out of the lineup. I hope Webber takes Picard place from now on. I just don’t like Picard’s defensive play.

4. pmaraw says:

the brian burke bandwagon is thataway —————> with observer.

5. Psycho29 says:

Now Kimberly….don’t start getting negative like everyone else on this site!  🙂

6. habzfan2003 says:

Agreed! And all Gomez is doing is getting the zone… giving it away…. or getting the rare weak one! 😉

7. Psycho29 says:

Thanks for stopping by….

8. Bugs says:

In yo FACE!

Oh, yes! Yes!

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order:

9. habzfan2003 says:

10. jrshabs1 says:

I have had about enough of small skilled forwards who do little an score even less. I’m sick and tired of PG toeing the company line and being satisfied with what he’s got. Your team can’t score PG!! I understand that there are injuries but that’s on the blueline. Playoffs? Leafs scored 9 goals lastnight, Habs couldn’t score 9 goals in a weeks worth of games. I now hope that this season turns into a disaster forcing ownership to blow the whole thing up and start the rebuild from the ground up. Who likes to cheer for a team that can’t score?

Go Habs Go!!

11. Kooch7800 says:

Put Gio back with Plec’s.  AK is lost again

12. Kooch7800 says:

nash is good but this is his first year in the Ahl.  Webber is better than Picard

13. Kimberly2u says:

Until our team can score we aren’t going to win any games.  After tonight this should be looked at.

14. Mike D says:

Okay, so I get that we’re going through some changes and growing pains on D with the injuries, call-ups and recent addition of Wiz, but the team is playing with NO FRIGGIN EFFORT….save for a couple of players.

Shout out to Benny P, Max-Pac, Moen, and DD for actually trying.  And Carey of course who is the only reason we have any hope of a comeback in the 3rd….or at least not being on the smelly end of a blow-out.

You’d think our boys would have come out swinging considering a 5-position upswing in the standings was at stake, but no, instead they decide to put both the F’s in effort.

– Honestly yours

15. deuce6 says:

Just a question here, but I thought Weber was playing pretty decent..Why did JM decide to bench him for Picard? Christ, he is a horrible d-man…

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

16. ZimHabwe says:

I am posting for the first time in over a year, so you know something is not right. Allow me to release a few thoughts.

1) Why do we look scared of the puck?

2) Why can’t we see the net?

3) I wish Gomez could shoot more.

4) Where is the centre presence to finish up Subban’s charges?

5) Where is the centre presence? Period.

6) Kostitsyn needs to step it up.

7) The prospect of a playoff position looks very bleak.

17. deuce6 says:

Martin’s mindless system stifling whatever offense we have…

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

18. dre1744 says:

they will shoot   the question is will  they hit the net…….  I doubt it!!!!!!!!

19. Bugs says:

This ray of sunshine is brought to you by St-Justine Hospital for Kids.

Our motto is: “We just keep it real, y’all.”

Happy New Year, signed

20. dre1744 says:

wonder what happened too Cammy???

I bet you its his knees bothering him,  he has not been right for the last month or so….

21. J Haul says:

What you call “coasting” looks almost like him sulking all game long.

22. Bugs says:

Who’s been our most dangerous player tonight, Gomie? Jeez Louise, put your life-vests on.

Here’s what I would propose for the third; now, I’m just spit-ballin here, I’m not the grand expert on micro-strategies to employ when trailing by x points against y team heading into z period, just throwin it out there is all, but my little idea would revolve around a time-honoured concept that perhaps some of them may have heard of during their upbringing within this coolest game in the world and that would quite simply be to

Sunsabastiches. Swear to god; they wanna make a maniac outta me.

Happy New Year, signed

23. J Haul says:

Am I ever sick of this team not scoring. They’re just sitting on cap space for no reason. Get someone that can score already!

These guys shooting like idiots from the outside all the time certainly aren’t going to.

24. Flobomb12 says:

That was some pretty hard work on that second goal by Gomez I must say.  I guess that’s that effort that gets him his 7 million salary… and here I thought we were paying for the 40 points hes on pace to give us this year…. phew, what a relief!!

25. Kimberly2u says:

Now we’ve lost Cammy.  Our season started out with no inuries..pretty soon the whole Hamilton team will be playing.

26. habs63 says:

Is there anyone is out system better than Picard?

I haven’t seen Hamilton play this year but what does that Brendon Nash look like?

Hockeydb has him at 6’3 205lbs and he has good numbers in the A.

27. deuce6 says:

Geez, 2-0 BOS after 2…Never seen this one

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

28. UK-HAB says:

Really starting to wish our defensive minded team still had some top defensemen on it. Cant score and cant defend. Not sure i’d mind struggling in most games so much if it wasn’t just constant dumps and board play in the other end. I’ve always stuck up for JM in the past but am really starting to question just where this team is going.

29. Kimberly2u says:

Until someone in management decides to make a change we are still going to lose games.  The only way to win a game is to score a goal and none of our forwards can seem to score…which is a shame but it should be looked at or we won’t make the playoffs.  We should be winning this game against Boston easy.

30. habzfan2003 says:

Why do we have to give up the first goal of EVERY game before we start playing offense??? Does anyone think there is a problem that we are like the lowest scoring team in the east??? Correct me if I’m wrong… I don’t have the statistics in front of me.

31. punkster says:

Pretty even tilt but I liked Moen not taking any crap.

32. Keith says:

I can’t login to Boone.

33. deuce6 says:

Yes..Yes they do…

Over 2.5 or Under 2.5?

Better? Doesn’t matter, I can see a shut out or another 1 goal performance, so it doesn’t really matter, huh?

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

34. Bugs says:

I say 2. What say thee to that?

Over/unders work better with a .5 at the end.

Happy New Year, signed

35. deuce6 says:

Over/under on Habs goals for?

Under 2 or over 2?

I’m going with the under..

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

36. zak says:

Picard in Webber out. Must need him on the power play

37. ed lopaz says:

Not much is ever said about Cammy’s knees.

He was out for a good chunk of last season and came back so hot – especially in the playoffs.

He’s playing with a brace on each knee after being operated on both over the years.

It seems to me that he is “coasting” quite a bit, and it could be that he’s playing through the pain.

38. Psycho29 says:

My prediction for tonight…..5-3 Habs, and Cammy gets the hat.

Ok I need my meds now.  🙂

39. notbigbird says:

They do curling. Carbo did bowling and was trashed for it. While he should have been trashed IMO, it wasn’t for bowling — also IMO.

40. zak says:

I’d like to send G& G back to New Jersey along with Webber ( nothing against Webber ) and a switch of 1st round picks. Draft Coutourier. Throw JM in there too.

41. habstrinifan says:

To quote Martin (see A. Basu’s article on P.K. Subban.

“People see him as an offensive player and that may come, but right now his production has come really on the power play”

Pay attention JM!!!! Pay attention!!!! Your whole damn TEAM stinks when it comes to FIVE ON FIVE offensive production. Pay Attention you dimwit!

42. Psycho29 says:

I wouldn’t take that cancer Kovalchuk for free. We’ll keep G&G thank you very much…

43. LA Loyalist says:

Lou has sent the GG’s (Scott and Brian) old jerseys to the dry cleaner, it will be ready for them when they arrive in New Jersey March 1st.

Lou is an honorable man, and he will send us some Russian guy named Kovalchuk, with a hand written note pinned to his jersey saying, “I wanted him, but when I got him I didn’t know what to do with him. Maybe you guys can put him to good use.”

If we’re going to dream, dream large 🙂 just let your head go for a minute. Imagine us with Kovalchuk instead of the GGs.

I’m going to my room to cry now.

44. JohnBellyful says:

Gionta. April. Playoff time. We’re doomed.

45. TripleX says:

Detroit:  thinking way outside the box and innovative and creative

Compare that with the old school, this is the way we have always done it in Montreal since the 50s, Montreal Canadiens.

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

46. mike g says:

Bah, wtv happens with him happens….. Im just glad u didnt say it was Price, Pleks, Subban, or Gio as the picture…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

47. JohnBellyful says:

It’s happened again, folks. There’s something very mysterious going on with my Habs calendar (and to all those who wanted to know where they could get a copy, I can’t help you. Sorry, observer and Max_a_million – and quit sending me pics of yourselves in jodhpurs. I really don’t see the connection).

Anyways, as I said earlier, the calendar, sponsored by the NHL and the NHLPA, apparently features Canadiens whose career will undergo major changes in the coming months. January’s player was Maxim Lapierre. He got traded. February’s player is Josh Gorges. He requires surgery and is out for the season.
    Who’s next? Well, March’s player is … Scott Gomez.
    Hmmm, first it was a trade, then it was an injury. What’s that leave? Gomez is traded and then gets injured? Injured then traded? Or …