Game 42: Pacioretty caps Canadiens’ comeback

Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty celebrates his winning goal with teammate
P.K. Subban Saturday night at the Bell Centre.
Marie-France
Coallier, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game
Blog,
 Quick Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Max Pacioretty | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Mathieu Darche | Scott Gomez | James Wisniewski | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: For more than 57 minutes on Saturday night, the Canadiens looked like they were headed to a shutout loss to the Boston Bruins. Then, lady luck shined her light on the Canadiens, who got a few lucky bounces to tie the game before Max Pacioretty fired a bullet past Tim Thomas 3:43 into overtime for a 3-2 win, Montreal’s third straight win over the Bruins this season. It was also the first time the Canadiens have managed to win a game in which they were trailing after 40 minutes after going 0-15-1 in previous situations. After a scoreless first period, Patrice Bergeron made the Canadiens pay for some defensive miscues in the second period. With just over four minutes played, he took a pass from Blake Wheeler and fired a one-timer past Carey Price, who was caught moving his right to block a Wheeler shot when the forward passed the puck to Bergeron. About eight minutes later, Bergeron slid the puck past Price after a Zdeno Chara rebound wasn’t cleared from the front of the net. The Canadiens thought they had a goal in the third period, but it was ruled that Mathieu Darche batted the puck behind Tim Thomas with a high stick. They eventually did beat Thomas when Scott Gomez took an innocent looking shot on the power play from the side boards that went off Chara’s skate and between Thomas’s legs, who looked stunned when he spotted the puck behind him. That sparked the Canadiens, who tied the game with 48 seconds to play when a shot by James Wisnieski was stopped by Thomas, but deflected directly off Brian Gionta’s skate and into the net. This one was also reviewed, but there was no doubt the goal was good.

• Key Moments:
Not only did the Canadiens allow two goals in the second period, they lost forward Michael Cammalleri, who left the game with an injury and did not return. After the game, however, head coach Jacques Martin said Cammalleri was sick and is battling a virus.

• What It Means: Montreal improves to 23-16-3 for 49 points, tied with the Bruins, but they remain in second place in the Northeast Division – and eighth in the Eastern Conference – because the Bruins have two games in hand.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are in New York on Tuesday to take on the Rangers and then travel back to Montreal to face the Penguins the next nigh. The Rangers are in Montreal next Saturday.

1. JohnBellyful says:

Gionta. April. Playoff time. We’re doomed.

2. TripleX says:

Detroit:  thinking way outside the box and innovative and creative

Compare that with the old school, this is the way we have always done it in Montreal since the 50s, Montreal Canadiens.

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

3. observer says:

HOW MANY DID SEGUIN score tonight against habs?  zero! more  proof how  great a gm burke is!

4. weightman25 says:

who invited this guy?

5. mike g says:

Bah, wtv happens with him happens….. Im just glad u didnt say it was Price, Pleks, Subban, or Gio as the picture…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. Kimberly2u says:

Until our team can score we aren’t going to win any games.  After tonight this should be looked at.

7. JohnBellyful says:

It’s happened again, folks. There’s something very mysterious going on with my Habs calendar (and to all those who wanted to know where they could get a copy, I can’t help you. Sorry, observer and Max_a_million – and quit sending me pics of yourselves in jodhpurs. I really don’t see the connection).

Anyways, as I said earlier, the calendar, sponsored by the NHL and the NHLPA, apparently features Canadiens whose career will undergo major changes in the coming months. January’s player was Maxim Lapierre. He got traded. February’s player is Josh Gorges. He requires surgery and is out for the season.
    Who’s next? Well, March’s player is … Scott Gomez.
    Hmmm, first it was a trade, then it was an injury. What’s that leave? Gomez is traded and then gets injured? Injured then traded? Or …

8. habs63 says:

After I made this post, I realized Weber was out of the lineup. I hope Webber takes Picard place from now on. I just don’t like Picard’s defensive play.

9. punkster says:

Pretty even tilt but I liked Moen not taking any crap.

***Subbang!!!***

10. Mike D says:

Okay, so I get that we’re going through some changes and growing pains on D with the injuries, call-ups and recent addition of Wiz, but the team is playing with NO FRIGGIN EFFORT….save for a couple of players.

Shout out to Benny P, Max-Pac, Moen, and DD for actually trying.  And Carey of course who is the only reason we have any hope of a comeback in the 3rd….or at least not being on the smelly end of a blow-out.

You’d think our boys would have come out swinging considering a 5-position upswing in the standings was at stake, but no, instead they decide to put both the F’s in effort.

- Honestly yours

11. deuce6 says:

Just a question here, but I thought Weber was playing pretty decent..Why did JM decide to bench him for Picard? Christ, he is a horrible d-man…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

12. Keith says:

I can’t login to Boone.

13. pmaraw says:

the brian burke bandwagon is thataway —————> with observer.

14. ZimHabwe says:

I am posting for the first time in over a year, so you know something is not right. Allow me to release a few thoughts.

1) Why do we look scared of the puck?

2) Why can’t we see the net?

3) I wish Gomez could shoot more.

4) Where is the centre presence to finish up Subban’s charges?

5) Where is the centre presence? Period.

6) Kostitsyn needs to step it up.

7) The prospect of a playoff position looks very bleak.

15. deuce6 says:

Martin’s mindless system stifling whatever offense we have…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

16. Psycho29 says:

Now Kimberly….don’t start getting negative like everyone else on this site!  :-)

17. habzfan2003 says:

Agreed! And all Gomez is doing is getting the zone… giving it away…. or getting the rare weak one! ;)

18. Psycho29 says:

Thanks for stopping by….

19. dre1744 says:

they will shoot   the question is will  they hit the net…….  I doubt it!!!!!!!!

20. Bugs says:

This ray of sunshine is brought to you by St-Justine Hospital for Kids.

Our motto is: “We just keep it real, y’all.”

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

21. dre1744 says:

wonder what happened too Cammy???

I bet you its his knees bothering him,  he has not been right for the last month or so….

22. J Haul says:

What you call “coasting” looks almost like him sulking all game long.

23. Bugs says:

Who’s been our most dangerous player tonight, Gomie? Jeez Louise, put your life-vests on.

Here’s what I would propose for the third; now, I’m just spit-ballin here, I’m not the grand expert on micro-strategies to employ when trailing by x points against y team heading into z period, just throwin it out there is all, but my little idea would revolve around a time-honoured concept that perhaps some of them may have heard of during their upbringing within this coolest game in the world and that would quite simply be to

FRIGGIN SHOOOOOT!

Sunsabastiches. Swear to god; they wanna make a maniac outta me.

24. J Haul says:

Am I ever sick of this team not scoring. They’re just sitting on cap space for no reason. Get someone that can score already!

These guys shooting like idiots from the outside all the time certainly aren’t going to.

25. Flobomb12 says:

That was some pretty hard work on that second goal by Gomez I must say.  I guess that’s that effort that gets him his 7 million salary… and here I thought we were paying for the 40 points hes on pace to give us this year…. phew, what a relief!!

26. Kimberly2u says:

Now we’ve lost Cammy.  Our season started out with no inuries..pretty soon the whole Hamilton team will be playing.

27. habs63 says:

Is there anyone is out system better than Picard?

I haven’t seen Hamilton play this year but what does that Brendon Nash look like?

Hockeydb has him at 6’3 205lbs and he has good numbers in the A.

28. deuce6 says:

Geez, 2-0 BOS after 2…Never seen this one coming..lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

29. Bugs says:

In yo FACE!

Oh, yes! Yes!

30. UK-HAB says:

Really starting to wish our defensive minded team still had some top defensemen on it. Cant score and cant defend. Not sure i’d mind struggling in most games so much if it wasn’t just constant dumps and board play in the other end. I’ve always stuck up for JM in the past but am really starting to question just where this team is going.

31. Kimberly2u says:

Until someone in management decides to make a change we are still going to lose games.  The only way to win a game is to score a goal and none of our forwards can seem to score…which is a shame but it should be looked at or we won’t make the playoffs.  We should be winning this game against Boston easy.

32. deuce6 says:

Yes..Yes they do…

Over 2.5 or Under 2.5?

Better? Doesn’t matter, I can see a shut out or another 1 goal performance, so it doesn’t really matter, huh?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

33. Bugs says:

I say 2. What say thee to that?

Over/unders work better with a .5 at the end.

34. deuce6 says:

Over/under on Habs goals for?

Under 2 or over 2?

I’m going with the under..

——————
    Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

35. habzfan2003 says:

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. zak says:

Picard in Webber out. Must need him on the power play

37. jrshabs1 says:

I have had about enough of small skilled forwards who do little an score even less. I’m sick and tired of PG toeing the company line and being satisfied with what he’s got. Your team can’t score PG!! I understand that there are injuries but that’s on the blueline. Playoffs? Leafs scored 9 goals lastnight, Habs couldn’t score 9 goals in a weeks worth of games. I now hope that this season turns into a disaster forcing ownership to blow the whole thing up and start the rebuild from the ground up. Who likes to cheer for a team that can’t score?

Go Habs Go!!

38. ed lopaz says:

Not much is ever said about Cammy’s knees.

He was out for a good chunk of last season and came back so hot – especially in the playoffs.

He’s playing with a brace on each knee after being operated on both over the years.

It seems to me that he is “coasting” quite a bit, and it could be that he’s playing through the pain.

39. Psycho29 says:

My prediction for tonight…..5-3 Habs, and Cammy gets the hat.

Ok I need my meds now.  :-)

40. habzfan2003 says:

Why do we have to give up the first goal of EVERY game before we start playing offense??? Does anyone think there is a problem that we are like the lowest scoring team in the east??? Correct me if I’m wrong… I don’t have the statistics in front of me.

41. notbigbird says:

They do curling. Carbo did bowling and was trashed for it. While he should have been trashed IMO, it wasn’t for bowling — also IMO.

42. zak says:

I’d like to send G& G back to New Jersey along with Webber ( nothing against Webber ) and a switch of 1st round picks. Draft Coutourier. Throw JM in there too.

43. Kooch7800 says:

Put Gio back with Plec’s.  AK is lost again

44. habstrinifan says:

To quote Martin (see A. Basu’s article on P.K. Subban.

“People see him as an offensive player and that may come, but right now his production has come really on the power play”

Pay attention JM!!!! Pay attention!!!! Your whole damn TEAM stinks when it comes to FIVE ON FIVE offensive production. Pay Attention you dimwit!

45. Psycho29 says:

I wouldn’t take that cancer Kovalchuk for free. We’ll keep G&G thank you very much…

46. Kooch7800 says:

nash is good but this is his first year in the Ahl.  Webber is better than Picard

47. LA Loyalist says:

Lou has sent the GG’s (Scott and Brian) old jerseys to the dry cleaner, it will be ready for them when they arrive in New Jersey March 1st.

Lou is an honorable man, and he will send us some Russian guy named Kovalchuk, with a hand written note pinned to his jersey saying, “I wanted him, but when I got him I didn’t know what to do with him. Maybe you guys can put him to good use.”

If we’re going to dream, dream large :) just let your head go for a minute. Imagine us with Kovalchuk instead of the GGs.

I’m going to my room to cry now.

48. arcosenate says:

Maybe it hurt enough to find this web site eh?

49. jamieboy333 says:

Arco,  I have to disagree.  I think our friend here does like hockey and is still crying over Canada’s dominance in the semis.

Les Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge glorieux!

50. kakey says:

“You don’t see things as they are, but as you are.”

51. Everlasting1 says:

Try telling that to JM and company..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

52. newbrunswick troy says:

Ya …and they should with his salary he should have jump for 60 mins.

by the way notice that all of Gomez, goals this year are absolute flukes????

53. sholi2000.com says:

I’m thinking about picking up one of his game worn jerseys (Bulldogs) from Meigrey.  The price was at 325, but I think they raised it on account of his call up and minor success.

They Call Me Shane

54. Storm Man says:

Yes he did, that is why I have the date and time with it.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

55. SmartDog says:

Yeah, we wouldn’t want his 11 goals.  I mean, who cares?  I mean, goals are over-rated…. I mean, we have lots of guys with 11 goals…. I mean, we have PLENTY of goals…. I mean….

——-

56. SmartDog says:

So true.

And he’s said that he’s been working on his shot!  LOL

——

57. habsguy says:

you’ve always seemed like the of guy who would like the kind of player SK is…I would take 5.5 of his goals from a player who gives his all to the TEAM….NOT some locker room cancer like SK..

58. Everlasting1 says:

Your water seems murky.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

59. Les Habitants says:

what a sore loser…

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a waffle bowl!

60. badangel says:

what’s with the guy with THE AWESOME SEAT looking so miserable after Max Pac scored the winning goal

WTF.. I would give ANYTHING to be there at that moment!

61. HugeHabsFan says:

What a comeback!  Great game and finally all of their hard work paid off.  Hard work…not lucky bounces.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

62. deuce6 says:

So yeah..I’m think the guy sitting behind Pacioretty is a Bruins fan?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

He was trying to tell you.

What happened adam, did the Halak/Price Troll Train run out of steam? Hitching a ride on the Gomez Express are we?

65. BruinsRToast says:

First time poster.  Just got a new Habs toaster and had to show off how beautiful it makes my toast.

Wonderful to see my Habs come back and even better that three rookies connected on the final tallie. I admit to being discouraged lately, but if we can get production out of our young guys, maybe we won’t need some of these old guys around for much longer. Getting younger is a good thing. Maybe the coach is next?  Oh boy… did I say that???? Don’t be too hard on me please!

66. MTLForever says:

- Both goals were not on Price

- I  thought we were down and out, especially taking back that Darche goal!!

- Really happy the team could get it tied up and win in OT, this usually happens AGAINST us, for once we did it

- Was getting the impression that we’d lose 3-0 again, not the case this time and it’s a wonderful feeling

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

67. Everlasting1 says:

Telling me what exactly? That SK is NOT having a breakout season under a new coaching staff/organization? Cos he is..this is fact.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

68. Sportfan says:

Guy was probably a Bruins fan haha GET OWNED BOSTON

I love how Max went after Chara the shove was liek “Get out of the way Troll” haha

69. HABZ24 says:

ahh two nothin, ok lets go out for a walk with the g.f. i return to hear what? habs won !! get lost!! no way!!?  i rewind the pvr and holy smoked mackrel scooby doo dah they pull out a huge come from behind win to crush the beantown bumms into bean dip!! two big wins in a row!! back on track baby!!  cammy hurts not good, bad enough two big ds are gone. finding a way to win !!!!!

70. deuce6 says:

Cammy left with the flu..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

71. HugeHabsFan says:

Gotta love that eh? lol!  Thank the techy gods for pvr. ;o)   btw – they’re reporting Cammy’s got the flu.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

72. HugeHabsFan says:

Thought the same, lol.

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE. Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

73. HabFanSince72 says:

So that’s 4 games in a row where we come back after being down.

74. habs365 says:

one thing you have to remember about JM..his way or the highway

75. Storm Man says:

Shhhhhh the trolls are thinking,

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

76. avatar_58 says:

Yep. I hung out with a friend thinking it was done. At best they would score a goal, maybe tie and then lose. THEY WON IT? GODDAMNIT HABS

77. light_n_tasty says:

Was there ever any doubt?  C’mon guys, it’s the Bruins.

78. Da Hema says:

Clearly. He has one finger up his nose.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

79. CHsam says:

LMAO did Triple X really write that? hhahaha

80. habsguy says:

lol…I got mine from avon !!!!

81. JSP1990 says:

Unreal. Simply fantastic! I watched the whole thing and was down in the dumps. Was goin to go to the movies and see The Fighter but wouldn’t till the game was over. hen we scored that first goal I felt somethin. Then we tied it. I about jumped outta my skin. And I LOVE the push by Patches. First Carey shows some flair against the Pens and now Patches does it to Boston. I love it. The young guys are takin hold! Can’t wait for the readin tomorrow. You guys thought it was good last time we won? Oh and btw, still made my movie. Highly recommended.

82. Nahlsy says:

Find a Leafs toaster and put some Eggo waffles in it.

83. Trenton_Romulox says:

I was at the game wearing my Pacioretty home jersey. When Pacioretty scored that OT winner I was just like, “Oh yeah, finally I get to see him score in person and an awesome OT winner no less, this is what it feels like to be cool, love it.” Having gone to seven games at the Bell Centre with my Pacioretty jersey and never seeing anyone else wearing anything Pacioretty-related, I’m starting to wonder if I am the only one other than Pacioretty himself with his jersey haha.

84. adam76 says:

Anyone else notice the compete level of Gomez rise after a few of the boo birds let him have it?

85. Everlasting1 says:

Here’s an impressive mid-season stat..SK74 leads the league in shooting % at 25% with 11 goals on only 44 shots in 37 games. What a sniper! In comparison, Crosby, Stamkos are at 20%.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

86. habsguy says:

wow,  who cares,  who gives a dead rats ass,  SO!!   big deal,  OMG,   still dont want him !!!!!

87. kakey says:

That it reveals more about yourself (and ourselves) than it is about the fact that SK is having a “breakout season”, in reference to the quote in your signature.

88. habsguy says:

did anyone else think Chara looked like he was a few bricks shy of a load after the game…

89. W35T5ID3 says:

Ya guys listen to smart dog,he knows his poop!

90. W35T5ID3 says:

Boone and Stubbs smart dog knows his P00P!

91. J Haul says:

Whoa.. shocking. Can’t honestly say many of us saw that coming, but boy does it feel nice.

92. HABS_FAN_NS says:

Wow I am shocked considering the team played like crap for most of the 2nd half of the game. Its good to have some luck once and awhile and it proves to those annoying ruin fans that we still own them and always will.

93. habs-hampton says:

i think thr refs told all of them to stay because of Chara going nuts.

94. jennifer1984 says:

all you need is a colour printer and some t-shirt transfer paper. for christmas we couldnt find a good habs shirt for my new nephew so we made him a sweet onsie. on the front it says “my mom and dad don’t know but secretly……” flip to the back “im a habs fan” with a sweet logo.

parents are leafs fans so we gotta show them proper!

95. scrowe21 says:

I absolutely HATE Chara, but thats pathetic / classless.

96. deuce6 says:

Wisniewski drew 2 crucial PPs for us tonight…

Still think we need to make a move or two to improve our offense..Cammy out now, is gonna hurt..

Still nice to stick it to the Bruins and Chara..What a goof that guy is..Think he woulda came into the Habs celebration if Laraque was still on the team and out there? That guy is a pussy..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

97. scrowe21 says:

Maxpac! I was saying to everyone he needs to start shooting the puck more..that was sick. HUGE comeback.. but i fear for his life next time he plays against big dumb Chara.

98. CHsam says:

They would have had asparagus with lentil puree and some leek soup.

99. krob1000 says:

would “diet thomas diet” be better?

100. Mike D says:

Wow!  I don’t even know what else to say.  Couldn’t be happier with the win!  Gotta admit, I didn’t see that coming though.  I liked that they came out a lot harder for the 3rd, but against Fatso the goalie and with a 2 goal deficit, I thought we were sunk for sure.

Thank God I was wrong about that one.  What a great shot by Max-Pac!

I’d still like to see the team come out firing for the whole 60 minutes, but I guess I can’t complain too much about turning 0 points into 2 points…even if they only played for 25 min.  Still, kinda a lucky win but I’ll take it!

- Honestly yours

101. CHsam says:

Keep the loonies comin’ !

102. jennifer1984 says:

haha. but i need looooonies! i will find them. i know my dad has a roll but i told him not to open it since we bought it from the mint with the fancy paper on it

103. jennifer1984 says:

is your son about to turn 27 this year?haha. my little sister (she’ll be 23…haha) also has one.

but on christmas at least my 2 month old nephew got a kick out of it. it made him laugh!

104. skoalbandit says:

price was the reason this comeback was possible

105. jennifer1984 says:

but all my lucky loonies are already in!!! i can’t take them out, i don’t think. wouldn’t want it to be bad luck. now i must find more of them!

106. FormalWare says:

Darche is impossible not to like. One just kinda wishes that Darche’s team spirit could be sliced thin, such that he could be left with 85% of it–and all the rest could be divided amongst the rest of the Habs–roughly Doubling the original compliment on most of his jaded teammates.

107. nickster13 says:

So SK just hit his 23rd point of the season tonight, now tying his big brother AK for point totals. question is, who would you rather have at this stage?

108. canada4l says:

It seems like the hockey gods were not happy about Darch’s first goal being waved off.  Great win, back to first in the NE.

109. HabFanSince72 says:

TripleX stopped posting. Not a fan.

110. Propwash says:

Wow, so, I’m logged in, but I’m not logged in……awesome.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

111. Ron in Ottawa says:

The PP in the OT showed a problem that JM has created. How many times did the puck come back to PK who would not shoot. he kid has lost his confidence and that fault lies clealry on JM. Time for him to go before he scews up every young player we have. Give him back to Ottawa. they’re looking for a coach

112. Danno says:

Don’t overlook the fact we were robbed on one of our goals and it shouldn’t even have gone to OT.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

113. slapshot777 says:

Great comeback, first one of the season. Hopefully now the team goes on a long winning streak. The Cammy injury is a little wierd though, no footage or clips where he seemed to get hit or turn and tweak something. Hopefully it’s not a trade. The Kings were looking for a scoring forward, I suppose they never called PG looking to get Cammy back.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

114. HabFanSince72 says:

Both.

115. scrowe21 says:

Sergei. I think he’s gunna put up 70 points this year. AK will never be that good here. SK also played less games than AK this year, and had a broken finger to start the season.

116. Propwash says:

Thats way too opened ended of a question. I sicerely doubt SK would do the same in Montreal, personally.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

117. HabFanSince72 says:

Jets – Colts is good.

Jets up 14-10 in the 4th. Manning on the move.

118. Mike D says:

Chara’s a straight-up b*tch.  Practically ruined the kids celebration with his BS and sour grapes.  Cry me a river you big dumb idiot.  And the Bruins (or their media) have the nerve to call us dirty and accuse us of cheap shots?  Talk about homers.

Still, watching Chara check DD into the boards was kinda like witnessing child abuse.

- Honestly yours

119. canada4l says:

True but then we probably don’t get the goal with the empty net.

120. Propwash says:

Yup, Thomas touched the puck after the high stick, but apparently he didn’t have control of it.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

121. krob1000 says:

It is pretty amazing to me that more guys don’t see it though…..GOmez drives me nuts because he never goes to the net….after darceh got going…even he went cuising though the crease a bit…he also took some shot….good thing because for the first half of the game he had been as frustrating as ever.  I think JM should just play guys who go to the net and shoot…..if you don;t go to the net…or shoot…..sorry no hockey for you.  I remember one rush where Moen went down the right side…threw it our front…Chara was coming back smack dab in the middle of thent….two guys did fly bys on either side of the net….but they weren;t really going to the net…they were the epitomy of the expression going through the motions…..I wsn;t sure if credit was to Chara’b big body or our lack f drive and hunger in hte goal area…..then later on when we got to be remined aobut what hunger was I realized it was on us teh whole time.

122. Danno says:

How come Thomas gets a star but not Price?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

123. habs365 says:

A good comeback win

124. Bugs says:

See that run by Lynch first game?

Damn.

125. scrowe21 says:

Lol I was saying the same thing..but then I thought, if Boston won in OT and someone pushed one of our players during their celebration…we’d be calling for their head.. BUT, they didn’t, so it was funny.

126. slapshot777 says:

Don’t need control all any Bruin has to do is just touch it and it nullifies the high stick.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

127. Mike D says:

Absolutely.  And he didn’t even get a star.

- Honestly yours

128. dre1744 says:

cause in MTL they gave sergei like only 8 minutes a game.  In nash  he gets like 15 to 18  and plays the PP……

Yes JM doesn’t know how to manage ice time.

129. habstrinifan says:

But then again who would?

130. larisalapointe says:

I know, but I think the voting was closed before the action of the last 2 minutes.

Actually, it is different if the puck went into the net. As somebody posted on Boone’s blog the rule is pretty clear on it. It was the right call.

132. Chuck says:

Even if it goes in off the goalie, the high stick is still counted.

Centre Hice: Habs’ new training aid gets a “passing” grade

133. Psycho29 says:

I think if you were to post your address here, people would send you their loonies..

Just kidding, don’t do it!!! :-)

134. Danno says:

That explains it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

135. olematelot says:

He didn’t shoot because there was no lane to shoot through, good thinking on his part

136. Chuck says:

Haven’t heard from ManApart or Everlasting Jaro Lover, either. Strange.

Come to think of it, we haven’t had a good “Gerry from the West Island” rant in a while, either!

Centre Hice: Habs’ new training aid gets a “passing” grade

137. Mike D says:

Hahaha I hear ya man, but it wasn’t really a push.  More of a “get out of the way of my celebration ya goofy lookin giant” wrist-flick sort of thing.

I imagine it would take quite a shove for a guy Chara’s size to even feel it.

- Honestly yours

138. skoalbandit says:

139. CanadienBoy says:

Shoot  42 to 29

140. bigdave says:

Who cares?

The Habs got the win that’s all that matters!

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

141. Propwash says:

Well, if you throw in the fact that he is playing on an entirely different team, then yeah, an individual player may or may not do better. Different coach, teammates, system altogether basically nullifies the question if he would do the same here.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

142. Propwash says:

Cosmic

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

143. bigdave says:

Not with JM having any association with the team.

He could stifle an Hydrogen Bomb!

144. A. Berke says:

How about asking a friend or a relative to take them out while you are not witnessing it? Maybe that won’t cause any bad luck.

At least keep on dancing. LOL

Ali B.

145. deuce6 says:

Touche..lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

146. Propwash says:

See my response below.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

147. Storm Man says:

One can only wish that he would.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

148. weightman25 says:

cuz everyone voted before we scored any goals

149. sgmcfarlane says:

Agreed.  There’s no loss of confidence — look at him move the puck up-ice.  Last month he was blamed for a loss after hammering a shot into the blocking forward’s shin pads and setting up an odd man break for a goal.  Right before he got benched.  He has learned and shown a lot of patience lately.  Good for PK, and good for the Habs.

150. weightman25 says:

dude what r u talkin about none of them shot not just pk it was like 35 passes straight

151. weightman25 says:

my son loves that piggy bank i get to hear it sing everyday lol

152. sgmcfarlane says:

Chara’s douchebaggery is only exceeded by the Boston media.  They deserve each other.

153. skoalbandit says:

this comeback could be a win that starts a role. F****** hate chara. wish there were a 14 foot fight at the end.

And it was never in doubt!!

155. skoalbandit says:

anyone see AK sit on the bench rather than celebrate with his teamates? wtf

156. WindsorHab-10 says:

In fairness to Chara, Pacioretty did push him. But yes he’s still a straight-up b*tch.

157. ari says:

very lucky,half of gomez goals was like that

158. Nahlsy says:

Don’t complain, maybe you’re being rewarded for good behaviour

159. jrshabs1 says:

My Habs make me eat my words again..gotta love it!

Go Habs Go!!

160. dre1744 says:

Did anyone see the guy with the shirt that said Die CHARA Die on it…….   I need too get me one of those.

161. skoalbandit says:

that was sik. im making mine tommarow

162. rocketsglare says:

Are you kidding me! This team has more lives than a cat. Just an incredible comeback win.

163. krob1000 says:

Game is kind of simple when someone goes to the damn net isn’t it.  For me the first star and most important player in that comeback was Mathieu Darche….he was the only one going to the net for most of the game…he had his goal called back…then went richt back where? to the front of the net….then all of the sudden every shift someone was going to the net…then magically guys started shooting…and low and behold the hockey Gods pay us our due.  When guys go the net and guys like Gomez shoot the puck…it creates chances….time and space….because they can’t just attack us the second we attack from the perimeter.  That was about 50 minutes of Floirda Panther sorry ass hockey…and I credit Mathieu Darche for changing that.  If big bodies like POuliot, PAcioretty, the ussal suspects like Gio and Darche go to the net…AND guys shoot….we will score. They were ugly….and flukey…and everything else…but they were all a result of gettin pucks to the net….while someone is going to the net….thank goodness.  I am a little curious about the Cammi thing though…he appeared to be skating fine…..I pose this question…..if we had one of our smaller forwards who had trade value, would be desire by many teams and of the four who is the least best fit for our system despite being our purest goalscorer in decades….it would be Cammi.,….,.I sure hope not but that was very odd given he was skating fine that last shift.  All I can say is that if we did consider dealing Cammi….it better be for one heck of a player. I seriously doubt it and don’t even really know why but it just felt odd….as soon as they said he was gone it was the first thing that came to mind for some reason….and I still feel weird about it…hope it is something I ate , a minor injury or one hell of a player we’d be getting.

164. jennifer1984 says:

woah. we started getting goals right after i put a Habs loonie in my Habs piggy bank that sings “ohhh the good ol’ hockey game” (thanks dad for that xmas gift…its lucky)

and then i got to do my goal dance 3 times! this is true. i am not making it up.

what a game. and what was up with Chara’s punch to Gomez at the end? not cool buddy.

165. W35T5ID3 says:

Dear CanadaSucks guy:

You are a Loser of Life.

166. notbigbird says:

“Gold was assumed on you.” Huh?

167. CanadaSucks says:

Dear every Canadian citizen,

May you hang your heads in shame. You deserve nothing
    but pain and misery for your fate at the World Juniors. Your brazen sense of entitlement is what lead you down
    this road.

A failure of epic proportions. The biggest choke in the
    history of your own sport. Why try for that extra twenty minutes? Gold was
    assumed on you, correct?

We pray that each and every one of you is crying right now,
    especially the parents and families of the inferior boys you chose to represent
    your nation.

And while you cry, we laugh. We cherish. We gloat in your
    demise.

But don’t fret. Tonight, Don Cherry
    can remind you of what good kids you have, you should be proud, Kingston, Doug
    Gilmour, etc, etc, etc.

Canada, we could not be more proud or happy at Wednesday night’s
    events. We would also like to thank you for buying our $25 tickets for ten
    times as much. We hope you enjoyed the game.

Signed,

The United States of America, and every other nation on
    earth.

168. arcosenate says:

You don’t even like hockey dumb ass, go back to your 2000 left hand Nascar turns.

169. JSP1990 says:

That’s why your cocky team couldn’t even beat us eh? No heart in that American line-up just me players. And it’s because of Canada that morons like you even have the privilage of having a hockey team. Because Canadian teams have to keep those crap teams afloat. Especially in that crap hole Buffalo. So take your American ego and shove it.

170. TommyB says:

This brazen sense of entitlement that you speak of, most likely comes from so much exposure to our neighbours to the south.

171. secretdragonfly says:

Funny, last time I checked, silver was still better than bronze.  Guess we didn’t get the memo.

172. Bugs says:

At least it’s not bronze. That’s absolute failure, right there.

Imagine, being the first seed in a tournament and not even making the final? Damn, the shame. Spitting on everything their parents sacrficed for them, you know? Failing like losers like that? Finding out there’s actually no talent to support your posturing? And learning, you know, with utter humiliation that you don’t belong with the best?

Woof, that’d be too much for me.

The joke is certainly on Canada…eh?

173. MTLForever says:

Bronze looks nice on you.

Oh and who had most gold in the olympics? that’s right Canada, the country who beat USA again. PLEASE stick to your baseball…that oh so exciting game

174. sholi2000.com says:

Oh my god Adam76 has a new account.

They Call Me Shane

175. Chuck says:

Wait… the Bruins are an American team, aren’t they?

Centre Hice: Habs’ new training aid gets a “passing” grade

176. jrshabs1 says:

Thank you for your insightful comments our American friend. It takes a big man to speak for the entire world but you pulled it off without a hitch. Wednesdays loss was bad but, it happens. I personally really enjoyed the semi finals, great game and a better result. Too bad we couldn’t win  the gold but a silver medal is pretty good to. Canada is over the junior loss since the Olympic Gold medal that we just won in the previous Oylmpics is still fresh in our minds. Tough loss for the Americans but America is used to watching the Canadian flag being raised to the rafters. Oh Canada!

Go Habs Go!!

177. weightman25 says:

10 straight gold medal finals with a win loss of 7-3 ummm??? STFU!

178. J Haul says:

I wouldn’t go with so much of a chirp as a “good game boys”. A simple, subtle insult like that really burns guys up I find.

179. fbkj says:

my bostonian friends were texting me all night with a lot of trash talk

choices: dignify with a response

or

remain silent?

(who am i kidding)

180. Psycho29 says:

Wear out that texting finger!!!!!

181. Nahlsy says:

Bostonians tend to suffer from premature ejubilation (like last year’s playoffs vs Philly or a few times up 3-1 vs the Habs in the previous decade). Leading after 2 isn’t worth celebrating, leading after 3 is what matters.

182. sholi2000.com says:

Don’t embarrass yourself by replying.  YOU have proved time and again that there is something wrong with you.  ADHD is my guess.  Oh look a Bunny

They Call Me Shane

183. adam76 says:

He can’t score or win a faceoff to save his life.  HE needs to spend a year in the AHL.

184. Propwash says:

You so have to tell them that Thomas is a sive!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

185. weightman25 says:

just simply remind them it is impossible for them to win the season series this year

186. fbkj says:

worn out, but still chirpin i is

lulz

187. NoTinFoilCups says:

He’s rookie. When he gets as much time under his belt as your boy Poulio he’ll be twice the player.

188. Bugs says:

If you say so, palm-reader, I guess that’s good enough for me.

Especially since my boy was pretty useless with Minny when HE first started too.

And so wisely was sent back down. As Eller should be.

189. habstrinifan says:

Same Here!

190. zak says:

If he was making 7 mil he’d be playing

191. Jonson says:

JM is disgusting. Eller is sitting again. 3 games for a kid who has been playing great hockey for months. if a big time losing streak is what it takes to get this guy fired than ill take it. im sick and tired of him ruining are young players. He is a F****** goofball.  TIME TO GET ROY!!!!!!

192. jamieboy333 says:

Agree.

Les Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge glorieux!

193. TripleX says:

JM is simply the latest manifestation of an organization more interested in short term goals rather than long term rebuilding.  JM’s mandate is to win now at all cost. Sacrifice development of youth, draft choices, sound cap management, young talented coaches and the future for playoff dollars now.

It is truly sad that the greatest hockey franchise in the World is no different from the Leafs.  I hoped Geoff Molson was a sign of change, sadly it is just more of the old status quo.

Until ownership makes it clear that the Cup or nothing is the mantra, we fans are doomed.

194. Bugs says:

40 games; 6 pts, Jonny.

If that’s “great hockey”, I don’t wanna see “poor hockey”.

If that’s “great hockey”, then my boy Poolio is playing super-glorious I-can’t-believe-it hockey.

If that’s “great hockey”, then Gionta is playing quantum physically impossible gonna-punch-God-in-the-face hockey.

Furthermore, you just said you wanted to LOSE to have your way. So you need to pull yourself together, perhaps go for a jog, you know, take the air, cuz…

Damn! Ouch, man.

…great hockey for months…

(shakes head) Damn!

195. sholi2000.com says:

I agree (not about JM being disgusting)

I was hoping he’d be  a great scorer, but that may not be in the works (right now, way too early to see).  But man is he ever a great checker.  One of the hardest working players on the team, and and stick handle with the best of them.  If Pouliot skated and worked as hard as Eller he’s score 40!

They Call Me Shane

196. MTLForever says:

I don’t like sitting Eller. 6pts but not much playing time. He does other things that are important plus he has size. I also would like him back in the line up asap.

Roy? Speaking of goofballs…

198. JohnBellyful says:

We have to bow to Martin’s infinite wisdom. Pyatt’s single talent — what to do without the puck — is so superior to what Eller can do WITH the puck that he deserves to remain in the lineup. One player, with one goal and two assists, is being judged according to how well he helps the team as a whole prevent goals while the other is being evaluated by personal scoring statistics (two goals and four assists) that inexplicably equate to something less. Interestingly, both players’ plus/minus is zero. And zero is exactly how Martin’s call on this deployment should be graded.

199. HabFanSince72 says:

I think you’re conflating two separate issues.

yes, the Habs in general, and JM in particular, have messed  up with an awful lot of young players. We all know who they are.  They desperately need to fix that. In the cap era you simply cannot build a team from free agents and trades.

However, I wouldn’t put the Eller benching in that category. I don’t think it’s messing him up, and he will get his chance sooner  rather than later. Right now he’s sitting because JM’s job is to pick his best starting 20. The four best centres right now are Pleks, Gomie, Wee DD, and Halpern.

200. Habs1st says:

I clicked on this link to say the same thing – maybe not as harsh on JM, but I too can’t believe Eller is sitting again.  The kid has been playing great hockey, not a lot of points but tons of effort!  Plays hard, strong, works hard, etc., etc., etc.  Put him back in Jacques!  (Oh, and not so sure on Roy, but oh well!  lol)

201. habstrinifan says:

Nicely done!

202. Everlasting1 says:

Interesting take.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

203. FormalWare says:

Thank you. Thank you, Thank You! (You.)

204. Bugs says:

Hm. May take a look.

205. HugeHabsFan says:

That’s a good point.  Hopefully we won’t have that again!

206. jimmy shaker says:

That’s a big relief!

Cheers,

Shaker

207. HugeHabsFan says:

Couldn’t agree more!  With all the bad news of late, that was good news.  (relatively anyway, lol!)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

208. light_n_tasty says:

Not sure if that’s a relief.  Remember in 06-07 when the flu put us out of the playoffs?

209. athanor says:

To be precise, Pleks had 55 seconds in OT to Gomez’s 1:25 plus  1:28 for 2:53.

210. Kooch7800 says:

Nice shot by MP.  Question where was Plec’s in the OT?  He didn’t get a shift. Gomez was on the whole 5 minutes

211. pmaraw says:

i didnt think the ot was that long

212. Bugs says:

Gomez was our most dangerous player all game long; Jack Marty simply going with flow.

Looks to have paid off.

213. HabFanSince72 says:

Pleks was on the powerplay just before MaxPac scored.

214. Mike D says:

Pleks was out for the 2nd PP shift I believe, but your point is well taken – Gomez was out there a ton in OT.

Paid off though ;-)

- Honestly yours

215. Habs64 says:

Character win. Boys didn’t give up and Patches what a beautiful shot. We will win the NE!!

216. solomio says:

Wee DD !! lmao

217. Bugs says:

Oh, my ga! I can’t believe it. Oh, my ga!

In your FACE, Beaners! In yo FAAAACE!

All up in yo face.

218. Craig_Mc says:

Team 990 is reporting that Cammalleri wasn’t injured. He left the game because he’s battling a virus, probably the flu, and wasn’t feeling well.

219. SeriousFan09 says:

Hope he’s back soon, I know his scoring is weak this year but last season he had like 15G against the Pens and Rangers and the Habs could really use that. Lundqvist can be a hard guy to beat if you can’t lift the puck over his right shoulder (what I found is his weak spot).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

220. Danno says:

He has a chronic case of suckitis.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

221. BKAK72 says:

For all HABS fans on this site that didn’t see our guys walk all over the BRUINS in the late 70s and throughout pretty much all of the 80s the jab by MaxPac onto Chara’s back right after the goal was scored brought back great memories of this bloody rivalry.

We should all agree that as HABS fan(atics) the order of bitter rival remains as follows:

1. Quebec Nordiques
    2. Boston Bruins
    3. Philadelphia Flyers
    4. Toronto Maple Leafs
    5. Quebec Nordiques (yes, twice)

That’s all folks.

— I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

222. Keith says:

Thought for sure they were going down to defeat but they managed an improbable comeback! Hockey is crazy sometimes. Nicer to see the never say die attitude. Character building win.

223. olematelot says:

Cammy seemed to be skating ok before he left the game, maybe he has the flu or something

224. HugeHabsFan says:

We’re watching the Canucks game now and that’s exactly what they’ve just said – out with the flu.  Thankfully it’s not an injury…hopefully he’ll be ready for the next game.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

225. olematelot says:

and when he starts scoring again you’ll be his biggest fan

226. Itsik says:

Look at the picture……these three were Dogs last year, and we have to give them the credit….they are young and hungry for success….the future is right here Jacque…..give them the wheel, they will drive far.

227. Kooch7800 says:

Hockey Gods were evening out that high stick goal that should have counted.

228. K-hab25 says:

Habsfan since 72, your manapart and triplex posts on the booins game blog are hilarious. Especially the manapart one, it fits that douche to a T. It’s also hilarious to see them all whining about how much there gm, coach and players all suck, it reminded me of the overly emotional windbags on this site. Thanks for the link, I was LMAO.

229. SeriousFan09 says:

Some benchmarks tonight for prospects…

D Mac Bennett playing for University of Michican had his first NCAA goal tonight.

C Louis Leblanc had his first fight in the QMJHL, plus the instigator against a wait for it… Russian-born player. He also had two assists, but came up short with no G for the Gordie Howe.

D Brendon Nash leads Hamilton defencemen with a +12 and all in points with 2G, 16A in his rookie AHL season.

After a brutal 1st half of the season, RW Danny Kristo has points in 6 consecutive games, 2G and 9A.

And the black cloud is following the prospects as well, LW Phillippe Lefebvre and C Michael Bournival both left their games early with suspected concussions.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

230. jimmy shaker says:

PVR’d basically the whole second period and third up until the Darche goal got called back.  SO I missed Cammy getting injured.  What happened?  Prognosis?  Great come back, and I was waiting for Cherry to say something about PK or Patch shoving Chara at the end, but he didn’t.  Milbury or Stock will have their take for sure.  Sorry for not sticking through and watching the whole game, my bad!  OH and I hate Bergeron alot and was happy that no one hit Julien walking across the ice on his way to the dressing room, like they were pelting Chara.  I still like Julien!

Shaker

231. HugeHabsFan says:

Jimmy, they’re saying it’s the flu.  Hopefully he’ll be well enough for the next game!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

232. fbkj says:

i know what your saying, i use this approach with my leafs fan friends, but have you ever discussed hockey with someone from boston

on a normal level

c’est pas facile…

233. zak says:

Trade gio and Gomez along with Webber (nothong against Webber ) and switch 1 st round picks . Go for coutourier

234. mike g says:

Thomas is nets for the Beantown Clowns tonight. Nathan Horton not playing, hes injured.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

235. Psycho29 says:

BRUINS CHOKE !!!!!!

236. Bugs says:

The NESN faithful are crackin. Won’t take much to push’em over the edge. We are discussing who are the new Habs the Bruins should hate.

Anyone else want in on this parade? No need to login. Enjoy.

237. habs365 says:

should be a good one..both teams are fairly even..hope the Habs get 2pts

238. jamieboy333 says:

To begin with, I love how “CanadaSucks” created a profile just to post his one hateful comment.  Talk about free time!

Jaques Martin, this is unacceptable!  Scratch Hammer, scratch Spacek, and may they never play another game in a Habs uniform!  Nothing personal, but they should’ve retired a long time ago.

Time to fire Martin.  I realize that his defensive system was what we rode through the playoffs, but let’s be honest, Halak was far more important than the system.  Now Martin is working to destroy our future.  He’s already robbed PK of his confidence, and now he’s working to ruin Eller’s bright future.  And oh ya, WE CAN’T SCORE GOALS.  Too bad Guy Boucher needs NHL experience still or he could take the job.  Maybe Muller is ready?

Les Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge glorieux!

239. SmartDog says:

BOONE AND STUBBS!!!

You HAVE to stop posting 4-5 threads in a row and then changing titles all the time and moving them around.  It’s a real mess.  I posted somethign this morning and then boom! it’s 4 threads down and no-one saw it.  Why post if no-one will see it?  Grrrrrrrr……

On game days, why not either put up the game post at a set time or put that post first thing and leave it on top.  Is there a pattern or do you just do whatever?

——-

240. HabFanSince72 says:

The ghosts are back.

241. pmaraw says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

242. habs63 says:

1st star – Z. Chara for 2 great own goals

243. Chuck says:

They guys behind the scenes have been doing a little work:

Centre Hice: Habs’ new training aid gets a “passing” grade