Game 42: Habs’ Latendresse bags OT winner

Chicago Blackhawks great Bobby Hull is flanked by Canadiens Hall of Famers Guy Lafleur (left) and Yvan Cournoyer before last night’s game.
Christinne Muschi, Reuters

Updated Wednesday at 6:40 a.m. with Gazette coverage

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog | Carbonneau Press Conference | Koivu | Latendresse 1 | Latendresse 2 | Lapierre

Through 82 years and 625 games, you’ve usually been able to count on the Canadiens and Chicago Blackhawks to serve up an entertaining game of hockey.

The Original Six rivals were true to form Tuesday night at the Bell Centre, on a special evening when the Canadiens paid tribute to their grand old competitor from the Windy City.

With a whole gaggle of Hall of Famers in the house, including Chicago legends Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and Tony Esposito, Guillaume Latendresse sent the local fans home deliriously happy, converting a cross-ice pass from Maxim Lapierre at 3:18 of overtime to give the Canadiens a 4-3 win.

The Canadiens put a dent in their malaise at home. The Habs, 21-13-8 overall, are now 8-7-5 at the Bell Centre.

Montreal took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission, getting goals from captain Saku Koivu, his eighth of the season, and defenceman Patrice Brisebois, his second as he returned from injury, wrapped around one by Chicago’s Jack Skille.

Montreal had a chance to make it 3-1 when Mark Streit was awarded a penalty shot after being hauled down on a shorthanded breakaway, but he failed to beat Chicago netminder Patrick Lalime.

The ’Hawks tied it up then went ahead with two quick ones in the second period, goals by Robert Lang on the power play and Kris Versteeg at even strength coming 19 seconds apart.

But newly minted all-star Andrei Markov blasted home a power-play goal almost nine minutes later to again even things up heading into the third. It was Markov’s 11th of the year, and proved to be the last goal of regulation time.

It was an eventful afternoon at the Bell Centre,
Canadiens rookie goalie Carey Price and first-year forward Kyle Chipchura shipped to the farm in Hamilton with netminder Jaroslav Halak and rookie forward Corey Locke coming east.

Habs head coach Guy Carbonneau made Mathieu Dandenault a healthy scratch to make room for Locke.

The Canadiens leave later today for Boston, where they’ll play the Bruins tomorrow. The four-game road trip continues with Saturday and Tuesday stops in New York – first the Rangers, then the Islanders – followed by a contest next Thursday in Atlanta. The Habs return home on Saturday, Jan. 19 to face Sidney Crosby’s Pittsburgh Penguins.

Guillaume Latendresse converts Maxim Lapierre’s pass behind Chicago goalie Patrick Lalime for the game-winning goal tonight at the Bell Centre.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

Kiss me you fool…………..

2. Chuck says:

The first two defnitely looked a little on the weak side. A win is a win, though. We’ll see if the plan is to ride Huet like a rented mule from here on in.

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

3. RiverviewCanadien says:

Negative negative negative, this site makes me sick, we win at home, something that MTL has had a tough time doing, and BAM!!! everyhone is jumping on them, Huet was good, Brisebois scored, we win with a beauty in OT and you guys are still upset, what will it take for people to be happy

4. Habs_008 says:

I already have tickets to that game, I will be there to lend support.

Huet SUCKS the quicker he is traded the better.

6. T-roy West says:

Amen to that!

7. Bill H says:

He is flying tonight. So are his linemates. This is a great game with lots of scoring chances. I hope the penalty against Montreal doesn’t take the wind out of their sails.

1. Can’t handle the puck.
    2. Can’t control rebounds.
    3. Gets easly upset and fustrated.
    4. No good in shootout’s.

Tell me again the pro’s

I agree AdamG.

Can it be?

As I write Huet makes a good save……..

One Good save – three weak goals against… Well…….

All teams just love to play in Montreal. Its like practice for them……………….

Huet, if he played any good teams his stats would not be as they are right now…..

11. The Teacher says:

That was a great play by Kovy

12. AdamG says:

meh…i think sending price down is a VERY clear signal that the’re going to ride huet into the ground. based on the early returns, that’s where he’ll take us. sorry, i’ve NEVER been a big huet fan, and i just can’t understand how poor he plays when the game is tight…

13. AdamG says:

maybe he should speak to his goaltenders. this is getting stupid already. same thing vs rangers. same thing vs tampa. same thing vs washington. same thing tonight. come on. you need a save sometimes.

People got the nerve to down Price.

Mr. Huet is back to old form. 3 soft goals tonight.

Time to put Halak in.

Even Bob Mackenzie said that Huet should have stopped those shots……….

15. Smart Dog says:

I didn’t want to say it before because I didn’t want to jinx him, but Huet just seemed a little slow on the first goal. And now on the third. It’s like he’s thinking instead of reacting. For a team with such great goal-tending our goal tending seems really iffy sometimes. Timo, am I right or am I right??

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

16. Bill H says:

Well, let’s hope we find out if a 2 goal game for Koivu is enough to get him smiling.

17. Bill H says:

Ha ha, that’s funny. Canadiens won 61% of faceoffs in the first period. When Bob Gainey speaks, people listen.

18. Ed says:

Ha ha. You noticed that. He better smile if he scores again.

19. Bill H says:

What’s gotten into this crowd anyway? Nobody complaining that should be traded because he wasn’t smiling enough after that goal? It must be something in the water. 😉

20. Bill H says:

Strangely enough Sulemaan, I was checking the Bulldogs’ schedule this morning and marked that day in my calendar. It might be fun to check out the game.

21. Smart Dog says:

I forgot – ABOUT CHIPS! Some French journal ranks him a C and he gets sent down? That stinks!

Chipchura – we all know you’re an A player… Nice that your teammate Locke gets a chance, but it shouldn’t be you. The team will miss your talent and hard work.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

22. Smart Dog says:

A good period by the Habs generally. All SIX KO’s are playing well. Kovalev, Koivu, Komi, Kost1, Kost2, Kosto… Higgins and Ryder both having a good game – Boullon, Hamrlik…. I guesss that’s why we’re up by a goal!

Locke seems nervous a little but hopefully will settle down. Great play by Lats on the first goal to win the puck on the boards and dish it to Koivu for that really nifty dance he did with it in front of the net. Sweet! Watch for that on the highlight reel. Lats should shoot more though – he missed a couple of opportunities with soft passes.

Every notice that Andre Kostitsyn has the puck a lot? Man, that guy knows how to control the play. Wait til he gets a little older.

Let’s hope the Habs hang in. Stand tall Huet! You da man!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

23. PGHABS says:

cough by Locke, obvious jitters….

24. A. Berke says:

Here we go again.

Listening to the game on cjad and in the first two minutes Huet coughed up the puck twice in front of his net.

I wish Price was given a chance today. Oh well, we shall see.

Ali B.

25. Sulemaan says:

The Baby Habs are playing the Baby Leafs on Feb.9th. Maybe all the Habs fans in Toronto should go and ‘represent’. Costs a lot less than a pair of tickets at the ACC. Thoughts?

(I’m directing this to the posters here living in Toronto like Bill H, Newfoundland Dog and others who want to make the trek to Toronto…)

26. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

1. In my picture you’ll find one of the keys to our success…
    2. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    3. Delenda Est Torontium….

27. Bill H says:

Wow! Chipchura and Price out. Halak and Locke in. I hope both the newcomers shine while they are here.

As for the Hawks, I don’t think there are ever any easy games for the Canadiens. If they aren’t focused, they can blow it if the other team is on their game. So let’s hope the Canadiens are motivated after dropping the last one.

On a bright note, those of us in Southern Ontario will get to watch 3 games this week, tonight, on Thursday against the Bruins and on Saturday against the Rangers. Lots of times we don’t have any Canadiens games in a week, so this is a treat.

28. kovy says:

the only reason chippy is going to hamilton is becausde og his face-off percentage.At the press confrence Gainey said that the main problem was face-offs and he just solved it.

29. southp says:

I would like to see a convincing home victory tonight.
    Let’s build some Bell Centre Confidence!

30. southp says:

Can’t believe someone would still take a chance on him.

31. krob1000 says:

I second those condolences.

32. Scotty90 says:

Wow!…. I guess it must have been a little too early for Price. I don’t understand why they are sending Chipchura back to Hamilton? Problem with the face-off work of the Habs….! Why point the finger at Chips? Koivu and Pleks used to win over 70% of the face-offs(last year).. what happened to them? don’t blame Chips!

33. Girth says:

Condolences to M.Dandenault for the loss of his grandmother.

34. Scotty90 says:

Your French is correct! Brisebois will be playing and Streit playing forward. There is no mention of Jorges.

35. ebk says:

I know you are but what am I?

works every time

36. krob1000 says:

I just tried to read the article on RDs and from what I could gather they were dressing Brisebois and moving Streit to forward. Does this mean Gorges site or are we just playing with an extra d man??? Soeone translate this for me please.

37. krob1000 says:

That might actually be a good fit for Samsonov. They have a lot of character that may keep him in oreder and they play offensive hockey. Last chance Sergei or you are off to play on a line with Yashin. I would actually like to see him comeback and play well (not against us obviously).

38. Scotty90 says:

Has he played against Montreal since he left?

39. Samantha says:

I’m really hoping he’ll get to play a couple of matches. I was so dissapointed when they sent him back down after camp. I felt that he had really proved himself. I mean, he was 10-6-0 with 2 shutouts.
    I think Price was healthy on Saturday, he just played a horrible game. 🙂

40. Samantha says:

Samsonov was picked up on re-entry waivers by the Carolina Hurricanes.

Good luck to him! But not too much…and not against us

41. Scotty90 says:

Just heard Halak is being called-up because Price has the flu. i wonder if he wasn’t feeling well Saturday… could explain his performance.

42. krob1000 says:

I lied earlier…..I guess Havlat has returned to the lineup and played against the Red Wings. I saw pieces of that game and don’t even remember seeing him so he must not be back to form…or you notice him. Strange though because I honestly don’t remember his name even mentioned (I was flicking back and forth but odd, very odd).

43. krob1000 says:

Glad you weren’t in my grade 7 class cause I don’t think there is a good comeback for that……well done. LOL

44. J.T. says:

Not because you turn into a hallucinagen when overheated?

45. krob1000 says:

The Mayo-man…..cause I deliver.

46. Smart Dog says:

I agree with Mayo-man, even though he is sometimes a knob 🙂 but Ian, the most important thing is that the Habs build a winner, not that Hamilton does. While it’s character building and good preparation for Hamilton to be strong, it is a secondary consideration. I like that Gainey has moved people up from H. and hope that he does shuffle the goal tenders around too as he suggests he will. As you point out – the big picture… which I think involves dealing with the fact that we are deep in Goal-tending assets. Look at Garon in Edmonton – Montreal knows how to make goalies…. hopefully we’ll get something for them and keep the best ones for ourselves. Tricky, but if they never play in the NHL how can we know what we have down there.

That said, you make a good point about trying to see what Bob is doing and why, instead of questioning his every move. I agree, he’s done much right this year. It IS fun however to try to guess the next step, or diagnose a problem and suggest a cure. And fun, as you say, is what it’s about!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

47. krob1000 says:

I agree with jist of your message Ian but who is it directed at??? I don’t see any negativity on this thread or game by game stuff other than about tonights game which is in fact what this thread is about (Candiens vs. Blackhawks). The teams priorities are not strictly long term althugh a plan is in place. They definitely care about this year given our current positioning and every game does matter to some extent. You are right about the overall picture but goaltending is the most important aspect of a hockey team and Carey Price is a kid and our best prospect. We have an all star goalie who is a free agent at the end of teh year and a guy who is regarded as a capable NHLer (arguably two in Hamilton). There is real discussion worthy substance here.

Price’s best interest is going to be looked after but not at the expense of the team. The team comes first and unless we fall far from the playoff picture game to game performance will matter to us and management. I know what you are saying but I don’t know why now and here as normally threads are littered with borderline hateful jargon….this one isn’t.

48. Ian G Cobb says:

Some of you people think that there is no long term planing in this organisation of ours. Do you realy think they put our goaltenders between the pipes like dunking cookies in your milk. At the beginning of the year we had 4 goalers to place where it would serve the players and the organisation best for the long term. There was 2 starters picked, one for the Montreal club and one for the Hamilton club. At the same time 2 backups were selected for each club.

It was a colective management and coaching dicision to go with this year. Just like bringing up the kids from Hamilton one at a time, is all in the works over this year and next.

This is why we hire a General Manager, and his duities are planned in years going forward, not game by game. You should try to see the bigger picture and i think you will enjoy the ride to the top a lot more. And when we stand together at centre ice with Stanly over our heads and our hearts pounding, each one of us will apreaciate all the thoughtfull decisions made by pros. along the way.

49. krob1000 says:

You too eh!!! I am seeing a trend lately. My last name is Mayo so I after many years of childhood torment I can live with knob.

50. Smart Dog says:

I agree with knob. Good that Price watches a game or three. He shouldn’t be feeling the pressure to make the team win. He’s not used to this level of play… or to being beaten. He needs to regroup, refocus, see this with some distance and come back ready and rested.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

51. JF says:

Agree 100%. From Price’s reaction to Saturday’s game, his confidence level is way down right now; he seemed really crushed by his poor performance rather than ready to put it behind him.

52. krob1000 says:

Okay.. I just flagged you for the knob comment!! lol

53. N.B.habs fan says:

knob 1000,Cant agree with you more,if he played and lost ,what then………

54. krob1000 says:

All the more reason to not start him. He needs to be hell bent on stopping pucks because that is all that is in his control. He cannot worry about redemption and I actually think he understands that based on his audio. I still think he sounded like a young kid though and although he was saying all of the right things he didn’t sound as confident as he needs to be. A little while out of the spotlight is what he needs and his next game should not be at the Bell Centre (and likely won’t be).

55. nick says:

i really hoped Price would start tonight. He seems hell bent on redeeming himself from his last performance, i would think that playing him tonight would give him a good needed boost in confidence.

56. Ed says:

If Yanic Perreault plays tonight, it should be interesting to watch him on the face offs. Even though his career is winding down, & the point production is not there, he is still really good on the face offs. He has gotten more ice time in the last couple of games, & this is possibly because of the injuries.