Game 41: Pouliot, Price sink Penguins

last night at the Bell Centre. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game
 About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Jacques Martin | Benoit Pouliot | David Desharnais | Mathieu Darche

• At a Glance: For the first time this season, the Canadiens went to a shootout and the result was a 2-1 win against the Penguins, who were playing without superstar Sidney Crosby and Matt Cooke. Benoit Pouliot scored a Peter Forsberg-ian goal in the shootout to seal the win after Michael Cammalleri, P.K. Subban, Brian Gionta and Andrei Kostitsyn couldn’t. failed to score in the shootout. For the Penguins, Kris Letang, Pascal Dupuis, Evgeni Malkin, Mark Letestu and Chris Kunitz were stopped by Carey Price. It was a pretty even game through 65 minutes, but the Penguins outshot the Canadiens 32-23. Former Canadien Aaron Asham opened the scoring 2:14 into the game when he gathered a rebound and fired it past Price. Benoit Pouliot got the Canadiens back into the game 12:28 into the second period when he took advantage of Mathieu Darche distracting Brent Johnson and fired a shot from the faceoff circle over Johnson’s shoulder. Price finished with 31 saves, while Johnson, filling in for Marc-André Fleury, made 22 saves.

• Key Moments:
The Canadiens failed to score during a lengthy 5-on-3 power play midway through the third period, with the Penguins taking three straight penalties.

• What It Means:
Montreal improves to 22-16-3 and now has 47 points, one behind the Boston Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division and five ahead of the ninth-place Carolina Hurricanes. Both teams have two games in hand.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens receive a visit from the Boston Bruins before a visit to the Big Apple to take on the Rangers on Tuesday night.

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good win but a very frustrating game to watch with all the missed chances especially the extended 5 on 3.

2. bolder says:

There’s JM’s system of favortism again! Eller out Darche in? Eller is way more skilled than DARCHE! Again the team struggles to score goals and that f**** goof goes with pluggers with their head buried up their asses in the offensive zone?

3. christophor says:

not with that contract

4. Rainrocket16 says:

Commodore should be a great pick up, we should acquire tonight!!!

5. mbplekfan says:

We are hooped.

That OB trade is looking worse and worse all the time.

6. Bugs says:

Yes, Teach, I KNOW the “spiel” on Eller; I live here. Thank you. But sadly, what you’re not taking into account is that despite all these super-fine attributes our favourite Dane possesses, none of them have led to PRODUCTION. And production, you’ll agree, is what this aaaaall about, yes?

If it takes less than 40 games for Dezzy to reach 6pts, Eller is off to Hamilton.

You SEE that, right?

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order:

7. The Teacher says:

Oh, Eller is a lock on my roster. He is young, big, tenacious, a ferocious backchecker and is growing in confidence every game he plays, you can see it.

Desi, on the other hand, needs to show he is not intimidated here and continue to go to the net and make smart plays while not costing us defensively. I hope they give him a shot with some people who can play besides with Moen, Darche, Pouliot, and the like, lol.

8. Bugs says:

Get the hell on! Cooke too? Dang.

Those Swiss, man; I’m tellin yehs…

Happy New Year, signed

9. Bugs says:

Once it gets down to choosing who gets the last spot on the roster between Eller and Dezzy after the latter gets 6pts, maybe you’ll care then?

Happy New Year, signed

10. GrimJim says:

He’s even better than you thought, Bugs. He knocked out Crosby and Matt Cooke…

11. The Teacher says:

I would say A?

Who cares how many points Eller has so far.

12. MTLForever says:

13. Mark C says:

You forget the Dan Ellis signing, which Stevie Y just had to spend a top 5ish prospect on to fix.

14. Bugs says:

I was right about Weber! The kid knocked out Sidney BEFORE the game. Sid ain’t playin tonight!

Those Swiss are smart folk, man; never saw that one comin.

Happy New Year, signed

15. Bugs says:

How long will it take Dezzy to get 6pts?

A) Under 40 games.

B) Over 40 games.

C) 40 games.

Happy New Year, signed

16. joeybarrie says:

HMMMMMMM. Interesting. I do not think any of these are particularly BAD moves. I do however wonder about people’s perception of our GM compared to others… First moves as a GM

-Trade Andrej Meszaros to Philly for a second rounder. Meszaros (25) is a top D and leads his team in plus minus.

-Matt Walker and a 4th rounder for Simon Gagne. well it looked like the Lighting got the better end of the deal. But Gagne has not performed as well this season.

-Trade Ty Wishart (similar in size and rating to Tinordi) for Dwayne Roloson.

Of course had these moves been by PG he would certainly have been bashed for them…

But Yzerman the genius, obviously knows what he is doing and those moves now look like pure gold…

Just find it funny, cause of course PG was an IDIOT to not sign Moore, and to take Halpern. Who now has more points and is a face off genius. PK specialist all for half the amount. BUT AGAIN, Stevie Y is THE MAN…

We trade Obyrne and as soon as his plus minus goes north, PG is an idiot, and JM can;t get anything out of their young players. NOT STEVIE Y. He trades away Meszaros to Philly and he leads his team in plus minus.  STILL GENIUS.

AGAIN, I will say i have nothing against these moves. I just find it funny how our GM is held to a certain standard, but not others…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

17. Chuck says:

The ones that stick out to me are:

Calgary (Western division, then they have to fly back to Buffalo to play an Eastern division team the next night)

Anaheim (Western division team on the tail-end of a back-to-back)

Centre Hice exclusive: Team Canada 2nd intermission video

18. mike g says:

Not too excited for tonights game, and heres why: 1- a quebecois from the Pens will score tonight, its the famous rule when they play in MTL. 2- the Pens will get minimum 5 powerplays, and they will all be at crutial points of the game, like usual. 3- with all our defenseman out, it will either be a disgusting loss or Price will have to make 45+ saves since we only score 2 goals per game. And finally, 4- the Habs just havent played inspired hockey that keeps us glued to the tv….. But, gotta hope its a good one!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

19. says:

I can honestly say I’ve never been there.  Just don’t see the point.

But that’s my answer as well.

They Call Me Shane

20. keepthefaith says:

Yeah i agree about them being overpriced. I live in Van and the only game last year that went for over the face value was the penguins game. The Habs were here so early i got my tickets for 20 dollars off of face value. The trick is to buy from season ticket holders as they pay less of a price than ticketmaster (much less). Everyone always tries to make a quick buck but in the end there is just not the demand for tickets as there once was.

I will be there to cheer them on in Van as well. For our sake i hope they put up a better performance than they did the last four times that i ve seen them here.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Joey’s right.

And you know why I feel dirty? ’cause today’s rumour is that we are interested in Alexander Frolov.

Ek’s just mailing it in now.

Frolov to Montreal? You don’t say. I never heard that one before. Tell me more.

What’s that? He played well with Cammalleri once? I see…

22. Bugs says:

No one twisted your arm to join this site, Sincey.

Happy New Year, signed

23. mike g says:

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. The Teacher says:

I alluded to that when it happened a while back when we had Detroit and T.O. back to back. Martin did not make the smart move then, I wouldn’t expect him to change his philosphy.

Would it be unprofessional to start Price in the games against the weaker teams (Rangers, Calgary, Ottawa) to guarantee that we at least get those points?  On back-to-back games Auld would go up against the top teams.

26. joeybarrie says:

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. deuce6 says: I presume?

28. HabFanSince72 says:

I feel dirty and ashamed.

i just visited an internet website that I shouldn’t have.

That I swore I’d never visit again.

But I was bored. And now I feel dirty.

Then he would have a ‘normal’ contract like any other guy that age (Gorges).

As has been mentioned before, the real issue with both Hamrlik and Spacek is the fact that have had to log way too many minutes due to the two Markov injuries.

30. The Teacher says:

Blah, I was unaware that sending him to the minors was ALSO out of the question.

And yeah, strange about Gonchar, but the Kovy curse is working its magic over there too I guess 😉

I have Gonchar in my pool, dumb me.

31. shiram says:

It’s gotta be either Calgary or Anaheim…

32. joeybarrie says:

Thank you all for your responses. Its what I expected. Personally I did not think it was the greatest move. What if it were Josh Gorges going in the summer for a 2nd round pick?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. Mark C says:

Would I be for trading Jarred Tinordi for “two U’s and two K’s” Rask? Yes. With the idea being to trade Price or Rask next off-season or deadline for more value than Tinordi, which should be easy.

34. The Teacher says:

The Buffalo and Ottawa games.

The only other game I would consider sitting him would be the Jan 11th game. I wouldn’t sit him the Anaheim game because I am going to it 🙂

35. davelecave says:

My thoughts exactly, but don’t expect that kind of reasoning from JM.

You can’t, Adriano.  He’s what they refer to as +35 signing which has some very specific restrictions.  Gonchar is also on the same type of contract.  He’s in Ottawa for two more years!  The team is stuck with the cap hit no matter what they do.

Redden signed his contract when he was under 35 so the Rangers could send him down (but still pay him an NHL wage) and dump the cap hit.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Rangers on the 11th, Calgary on the 17th and Ottawa on the 21st, keep Price off of doing back-to-back nights for the month.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

38. joeybarrie says:

What if Spacek was 25 years of age???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

Which games in January should Auld start in terms of strategic planning?

Thursday, Jan 6   Pittsburgh
     Saturday, Jan 8   Boston
     Tuesday, Jan 11   @ NY Rangers
     Wednesday, Jan 12   Pittsburgh
     Saturday, Jan 15   NY Rangers
     Monday, Jan 17   Calgary
     Tuesday, Jan 18   @ Buffalo
     Friday, Jan 21   @ Ottawa
     Saturday, Jan 22   Anaheim
     Tuesday, Jan 25   @ Philadelphia
  40. Pieboy says:

Auld generally has played well, albeit sparingly.  Back on the farm, Curtis Sanford isn’t exactly a slouch- he played well backing up Luongo in Vancouver a couple years ago.

41. secretdragonfly says:

I hear Nabokov is available for cheap – no way we’re giving up Tinordi; he’s our ace in the hole in terms of defense.

42. The Teacher says:

If he keeps up this decline, would you send Spatch to the minors?

43. The Cat says:

How about Rask?

44. mbplekfan says:

If Gorges is out for any length of time we may have to fold the tent. He’s one or our few competent guys on the blue line. Take him away and the playoff picture dims considerably.

If we fall out of playoff contention I would support trading away Hammer and Gill at the deadline and limping through to the finish with Picard and Alex Henry.

45. Mark C says:

I’d take my chances with Auld over Hedberg any day of the week. If the opportunity cost is Jarred Tinordi then this would be one of the worst value trades ever. If Rolson is only worth a middling prospect than Hedberg should be worth a C or D level prospect, think Greg Pateryn, at best.

46. Hobie Hansen says:

Nobody would take Spacek and his salary for free dude…

47. mbplekfan says:

Spacek is getting old and slowing down. He’s not worth his salary at this point. I cant see anyone wanting him.

Nobody is going to give you a 2nd for a Dman who is on his last legs and is going to get 3.8M next season no matter what.  Even if he retires you still have to pay him the coin.

Not to mention that our defense is pretty crappy right now so it won’t get any better if we let Spacek go.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think anyone’s willing to take Spacek on right now, he’s showing his age far too much these days to drum up anything beyond a late-round pick, especially considering his over-35 contract. I think he’s a Hab for the rest of his days unless a team really needs to meet the cap floor next season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

50. J_P says:

Getting hedberg definitely wouldn’t require giving up Tinordi.

This possible nightmare just hit you right now?

Hedberg was my choice as a back-up as soon as Halak was traded.  He’s 500,000 more than Auld but we could have made it work.

Regardless, it wouldn’t matter.  If Price gets hurt, we have no choice but to fold our tent.  I can live with that.

We don’t have even one Dman in our system who is a physical threat.  Tinordi might be another four years away, but he’s all we’ve got.  To trade him for Hedberg, would mean we would be giving up a 1st and a 2nd for a guy who we could have had for free six months ago.

52. joeybarrie says:

Ok good point, how about this one? I was thinking about trading Spacek away during the off season for a 2nd round pick. We should be able to do this.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. The Cat says:

I think the smart thing to do would be to tank at that point cause theres not many goalies available that are going to take this team for a deep playoff run.

54. bwoar says:

Joey in that case maybe the Habs would attempt to toss a giant pile of cash to lure Karri Ramo into the fold.

55. Drew42 says:

I agree, some of the ticket prices on there were crazy, but sometimes you can find something fair. There are obviously other places, Craigs list/ebay/etc. just giving him an option, not saying its the best.

I got my habs tickets at a “fair” price… its the same I would have paid through another route since Canucks games are all overpriced anyways (especially when the Habs come to town).

56. SeriousFan09 says:

You don’t deal a 1st-round pick for a backup goaltender, Tinordi is a part of the blue line future and he’s the only defencemen of his type in the system.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. mbplekfan says:

A team with few defensive prospects would be crazy to deal one away. We have forwards galore in our system if we need to pick up a player or two.

58. Hobie Hansen says:

R u kidding me? a 1st round pick in Tinordi for a career backup in Hedberg? I’d rather throw the towel in for the season than make that move!

59. light_n_tasty says:

*correction*: with Hammer and Gorges and Markov out…”we really have a weak defence”

60. joeybarrie says:

God forbid this should happen but if it did………

Our success this season depends on Price. What happens if he get injured and Auld turns out to be no better than an under .900sv% 3.0 GAA  goalie for 10 or so games….

Do we make a move for another goalie on a temporary basis?

Jarred Tinordi for Johan Hedberg. Would this be worth it? New Jersey would probably be interested in a young unproven defender and we could use the experienced goalie…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

61. anotherhab says:

kijiji or ebay!

62. keepthefaith says:

Stub hub is the biggest rip off around. Try craigslist but buy with caution. There are a lot of scammers but they are easy to sift threw. Stub Hub is for people who dont know anyone or have any idea how much tickets cost. Those sites are the highest price tickets around. If you do not care about money then its fine.

63. newbrunswick troy says:

wow i thought i would never say this …but with Hammer and Gorges out..”we realy have a weak defence”

Oh well time for the Kids to step up and prove me wrong

64. Drew42 says:

You could try:

I got my Canucks-Habs Tickets off there for the game right after the Heritage classic in Vancouver.

I also might be selling my Heritage Classic Tix if my friend can get us better ones through her work… lol

Good luck!

65. habs001 says:

last season we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the nhl…in the playoffs camm and gion scored way above their usual  scoring rate but most of the other forwards did not produce…this year again we are one of the lowest scoring teams..martin can only be blamed for not making our forwards overachieve in their goals per game production otherwise the majority of our forwards are scoring goals at a per game rate that they have done in their careers…we have to realize this is the team we have and it will not increase goal scoring unless we pick up scorers or one of our young players(eller,maxpac,dd) start scoring consistently but that is unlikely to happen this year… this is why martin will choose pyatt,moen,darche etc because some of the other forwards are just not game breakers. the pressure each night on price and the d is great as they realize we give up 2/3  goals the chances are we have to win in o/t…

66. RedLight says:

Does anyone have a good link for purchasing Heritage Classic tickets? There seem to be about a 1,000 options, but I’m more inclined to trust a suggestion from this community. Thanks….

67. habs365 says:

not much to say to the Habs give it your best shot..what happens – happens.