Game 4: Canadiens spoil the party in Buffalo

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Josh Gorges | Alexandre Picard

• At a Glance: Forty years to the day after defeating the Buffalo Sabres in the franchise’s first NHL game, the Canadiens did it again on Friday night with a 2-1 win.
And the Canadiens can thank their defencemen for this one as they accounted for all the offence and did a good job limiting Buffalo’s chances.
Alexandre Picard, who was a healthy scratch on Wednesday night, scored the first goal of the game when his shot from the corner went off a Sabres defenceman and sliped beyond Ryan Miller.
Josh Gorges made it 2-0 in the second period with Montreal first power-play goal of the season. His shot from the point changed direction in front of Miller and rang off the post and into the net.
Derek Roy, who has a knack for scoring against the Canadiens, scored his fifth of the season in the third period to make it 2-1. Roy took advantage of a scramble in front of Carey Price’s net that left Price tangled with several players. Roy missed his first chance, but roofed his second shot.
Price stopped 22 of 23 Buffalo shots, while Miller was beat twice on 28 shots.

• Key Moments:
The Montreal power play finally came to life with the Gorges goal and that was the difference in this game. The Canadiens were 1-for-3 on the night, while the Sabres were blanked on their only power play.

• What It Means:
With the win, Montreal’s record improves to 2-1-1 for five points, three behind the surprising Maple Leafs, who are in first place in the Northeast division with a 4-0 record.

• What’s Next:
Montreal is right back at it Saturday night when the Ottawa Senators visit the Bell Centre. The Canadiens will then have a few days off before Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils come to town.

1. TomNickle says:

Haha, I hear you Ian but with Jacques Martin coaching our team I’d far rather have a lead than trail in a hockey game.

A very good hockey player.

3. TomNickle says:

Yeah Pominville.  I watch and listen to quite a bit of Sabres games.  Roy has moments where he puts himself ahead of the team, Pominville can play any role they want him to at any time and will do so willingly.

4. krob1000 says:

last name? who the hell is Justin Boyd?

5. Storm Man says:

Sounds like you need a suppository…. Look up the word team so you understand the meaning. You’re bullspit is old.

6. TomNickle says:

I may be wrong here but I was under the impression that the Oilers didn’t even have cap room for these guys prior to this season.

Roy has been a dangerous player going all the way back to junior.

8. adam76 says:

Google it, my friend.

9. krob1000 says:

Pominville? maybe….surely you can’t mean Vanek or Connolly and noone else they have is good enugh offensively to warrant the title…maybe Ennis down the road but not yet…and I don;t know his game well enough to know how he is off the puck….Roy is responsible and so is Pominville.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

They could have rushed them onto the NHL roster in the case of Paajarvi and Eberle like the NYI do every time a guy looks like he might score 3 goals for them in a season. They let Eberle max out his junior time and Paajarvi to spend another year in Sweden. Granted, I doubt the organization itself will develop them well as NHL players but they managed their pre-NHL development by not rushing them. Alberta needs serious house cleaning in the FOs of both teams.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. joeybarrie says:

Not only is Chris Chelios on of my favorite players, but I loved him as Captain. I LOVE BRIAN GIONTA, and can think of no one better for the job….  As for my post yesterday:

“Line changes, missing players, and rookies……  These are not our
    problem… I think our biggest problem is GIONTA…  Is it just me or
    did he say Max Laperriere last night?????? If he doesn’t know the guys
    last name, and he has no problem with Kostitsyn’s name… US
    CAPTAINS…. Thats what you get…

We were unlucky last night. The
    goals they scored were crap. The reason we lost is because we let them
    get those shots, we couldn’t get the puck out of our own zone and we
    suffered for it. Other than that I thought we played a pretty good game.
    Price was outstanding, and the Gomez line was fairly useless. Once they
    get going and we get Markov back to full fitness, I am really going to
    like what we see…”

I was kidding, not only was I born in NEW YORK, but I live in Washington DC… Didnt realize Montreal had become so sensitive about making a US Captain joke. I guess it was an inside joke thing, and I though as much, but I was wondering how many others heard it… Again I was joking…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

Steve, I really thought we would come out of the gate flying this year. It looks like the worse thing that can happen is to be up in a game, mentality changes to protecting the lead and everyone knows what happens eventually. And then we cannot find any reset button. How many times do we have to hear, “a full 60 minuits”

And I also know it is very early.

13. Everlasting1 says:

Subliminal msg not intentional..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

14. Slovak says:

Hmmmm he must have done something special in Montreal… hmm let me think what was it? :)

15. Danno says:

Please keep foil wrapper to put gum in after use.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

I doubt that Edmonton tanked on purpose (it’s more a case of a crappy management team), but they now have three of the top prospects in the NHL.

17. TomNickle says:

I’m excited to see how Subban handles Derek Roy.  Roy could end up taking a bunch of penalties in this game.

18. Everlasting1 says:

Edit: We have the Hoover deluxe model in Mtl. Comes with a lifetime guarantee.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

19. krob1000 says:

Door to door vac sales guy named Wisniewski or something like that told me the “Avery” model had better sucking power ..he even did a demo

Your right, the cap is working great. It is going to come down to work ethics, heart and preparation coaching, to make the difference

21. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Just answer the question Tony, what difference is it to you, what the actual injury is?

22. Seps says:

How do you even come up with something like that?  But please dont answer the question, one idiotic post from you is enough.

23. observer says:

You are right simple minded “YEA Habs – Leafs suck”! Bettman is right again the NFL does not have a clue what they are doing. Go paint your face little boy!

24. Slovak says:

You just repeat words like broken robot.

25. krob1000 says:

Roy draws his fair share too though…..I actually like Roys game…he is a pest but he backs it up on the scoresheet….it must be great feeling for the Sabres anyway when he weasels a penalty call and then pots the pp goal.  Most pests are average players or less….Roy is that teams best all round forward…with an honourable mention to Pominville.  Vanek and Connolly have yet to realize that Ryan Miller guy who always hangs around in their dressing room is actually their goalie.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

When he’s not on IR, Lehtonen is a very good goalie and DAL has pretty solid offensive pieces in their Top 6, Eriksson and Neal are emerging offensive forces for that team. That defensive depth is going to cost them later on this season I suspect. They still have the pieces to score to win on most nights though.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. SlovakHab says:

I have a new vacuum cleaner. Halak.

Sucks every evening. :D

28. samTHEman says:

Our boi Jaro http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=78612

I still don’t understand why players do not lift the puck.

29. Everlasting1 says:

Form fitting are they? Yea, that’s one of the features I look for in a pair..don’t like the holey, baggy around the ankle kind.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

30. Seps says:

Our boi *Carey*  I think you mispelt it.

31. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

What do you care what the injury is? What difference as a fan will it make to you? All I really need to know is when will the injured player return, that is my only concern. Now I can see the media being upset, because it gives them one less thing to report, but for you Observer, if you know exactly what the injury is, will you sleep better at night? Are you some magic healer that can give the remeddy to cure the illness? What do you care?

32. ZepFan2 says:

Umm, you know something’s not right when the only member of that line with a goal is Gomez.

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

33. observer says:

dallas have won 3 in a row. they did not win 3 in a row once last season.

34. JIMVINNY says:

Rumor. Sounds like next thursday is a lot more likely.

35. JIMVINNY says:

socks, underwear, and questionable ad campaigns. All things CK does very well.

36. Jordio-oh says:

He won’t finish with 0 goals and 65 points so thats a moot point.

Thanks for being nice. You’re a real anonymous internet pal.

37. SLONCOLD says:

be nice to hit the net with some shots too. the down low play or back door attempt could open up a point shot.

is markvo really coming back on the weekend or was that just a rumor?

38. fuhgawz says:

Calvin Klein – form fitting real nice actually.

39. Willy the bum says:

Halak haven’t left in my heart.  :’( *single tear*

40. TomNickle says:

Eberle was taken 22nd overall.

Pjaarvi was taken 10th overall.

Not really the result of tanking or poor mismanagement.  Getting Hall certainly is, but not the other two.

And I read on Tsn’s website a couple of days ago that the Oilers have done a great job developing them.  Funny, I thought Eberle had been in the WHL, Hall in the OHL and Pjaarvi in the Sweedish Elite League.  Didn’t know the Oilers were running those teams.  Haha.

41. Bugs says:

So if he finishes with no goals and 65 assists, he’s a nobody?

(And I’m gonna be nice and pretend I didn’t read that hitting was what the 3rd and 4th line was normally for)

Decadently yours, I recline as

42. otter649 says:

Mr Observer or Tony hiding behind one of his many usernames – Sad that a so-called adult (I think) resorts to such dribble when he could just copy & paste the crap he writes about Pierre Gauthier usually weekly………

43. Fansincebirth says:

Why do people still talk about Halak like he’s a part of this team still?

Build a bridge and get over it.

He’s in St Louis.

Move on, FFS!

44. Everlasting1 says:

Price socks no doubt..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

45. adam76 says:

Halak was not the only reason – but he was for sure the BIGGEST reason.

46. habs youngtimer says:

it amazes me that the habs have the same problem every year: lack of depth on the top 2 lines.

and how did the genius PG address that problem?  he resigned Pouliot for another yea(even tho he hasn’t scored a goal since March), and gives him an increase.  What does PG have for brains?  don’t answer that question. we all know it’s empty upstairs for him.

so now the genius puts a 4th liner, Moen, on the top line(which it isn’t).

does he really expect Moen, with zero talent, to score?

hey genius, if you had done your homework, and signed a goal scorer, instead of a AHL career player, this wouldn’t happen.

I’m sorry but I just can’t take this kind of incompetence. PG is committing a crime:

HE’S IMPERSONATING A GM!!!!!   and of course we all know JM is has been, who never was, and never will be an NHL coach.  maybe he could get a job as 1 of the muppets, since he never opens his mouth, and someone has to pull his strings.

this organization is a joke!

47. adam76 says:

Goaltending is 70% of the game.

48. JIMVINNY says:

Personally, the thing I find most amazing about this young NHL season is that through 3-4 games, every team has already won at least one game. Parity lives!!!

49. TommyB says:

The PP will come along, probably as the guy below me says, when Markov returns.  For the time being, I’d be more concerned about limiting the opposition’s PPs.  Eliminate the dumbass penalties.

50. Willy the bum says:

Habs should hog on the puck and try not to make fancy passing, but keep the puck until there’s a safe opening to pass.  Always try to keep the puck on the Sabres end, and if on our side, flip out so that the opponent will rush down and the Habs got the time to change lines.

Always keep a player on each side of Price so nothing will go there.  And please, hope for a skilled game, play with wit and passion.

51. Bugs says:

Bullspit.

Jim Carey was just as good as the team in front of’m?

Please.

Every athlete’s a different ingredient. Make a jambalaya with THAT ingredient instead of THIS ingredient, and though it’ll still BE a jambalaya, it’ll taste different. That difference can separate winning teams from losing teams.

Cuz if it’s “only one player”, why not put ME in net? Won’t be my fault if they score 22 times, it’ll be the “team’s”, right?

Don’t get me wrong, the Kid is playing grrrreat and is giving the club a chance to win every night, but we NEED him to be like that because if he plays like he played last year, we’ll LOSE. If he lets in will-snapping bananas and late game-killers like he did last year, we’ll LOSE. If his “off-night” factor surpasses his “good-play” by a considerable margin like it did last year, we’ll LOSE.

Oh, but, as a “team” of course.

He has done none of this so far. No one’s bashing him, is there? If he deserves blame as the last line of defence, he’ll get it. If he doesn’t, he won’t.

He doesn’t deserve any now and he’s not getting any, but just spare us the triteness of the “team” spiel, please.

Sorry if this sounds…well, you know…just sick of this tired and bullspit speech, is all.

Decadently yours, I recline as

52. TomNickle says:

They have to get back to backdoor passing.  Makes the defensemen killing the penalty stay in their positions in front eliminating the ability to apply pressure down low.

Buffalo tends to open their game up at home.

53. Jordio-oh says:

Spin it anyway you want, but he still can’t score goals and only has two shots on goal.

Hits are great, but that’s normally what the 3rd and 4th line is for. 2nd line players are supposed to score. Fortunately for Pouliot, he’s not on the 2nd line anymore, so he can get all the hits and scoreless games he wants!  :)

54. fuhgawz says:

i have new socks.

just thought i would let you know

55. light_n_tasty says:

There are more posts about the Price/Halak thing per se (i.e. the “everyone should stop talking about it” posts) than there are actual posts about Price vs. Halak.

This is now a post about the people who talk about the posts about Price vs. Halak.

Let the vicious cycle continue.

56. krob1000 says:

If I remember correctly our Defenseman as many saves than Jaro in some of those games…they may not look as glamorous 20 feet in front of the net but they are the same shots that pick corners and go five hole….despite being stopped earlier.  jaro played unbelievably….in two series…against Philly he was average at best…but what he did was great against Pitts and Wash…but so was the overall effort and desire shown by the team.  A goaltender playing liek that in theplayoffs is not all that rare though…there were other goalies who had great sereis last year….the guys who went to the finals and won the cup….weren’t among them.  should we be more upset about Michael Leghton a former Hab then Halak? we didn’t even get anyone for him….

57. SLONCOLD says:

and on to the habs.

What should be done or tried on the powerplay? Buffalo is goign to make tonihgts game a tough grind. have a feeling they’ll be very physical with our team.

58. fuhgawz says:

and God, Politics, social injustice, global warming …..

PUNCH !!!

59. notbigbird says:

I really wish they would for once suit him up for 40 straight games or whatever in an effort to see for sure what he’s got to offer.

60. LA Loyalist says:

We bought the entire shipment of rose colored glasses up here, that’s why.

61. observer says:

picard is on this team for the exact same reason that darche is! you figure it out.

62. Bob Barker says:

I think this forum needs more discussion on Price and Halak.

63. LA Loyalist says:

I guess you didn’t see the Washington or Pittsburgh series last year.

STOLEN. by Halak (and a good team effort in front of him, but without Halak we were dead).

I’m ready for the death threats.

64. observer says:

Mr. Stubbs, Why does the media accept this farce Bettman lets teams use called “lower body injury”? This from a Commissioner who wants a team in Vegas, holds the awards ceremony there, publicly supported having NHL games on Pro-line/Mise O Jeux/etc. and made sure games ended with a winner because hockey with all it’s tie game endings made it a poor sport for gamblers to bet on? The NFL makes sure all injuries are disclosed and heavy fines issued for breaking the rules. Right down to even kickers or QBs where they must even state if it is a right or left limb’s thumb, finger or toe, etc. What on earth does lower body injury mean? Anything below the neck? Below the body proper? An ankle or toe injury = a groin injury?or a toe = a knee or whatever? Why not just say  “a health issue” for everything as it discloses as much? How does the media of this sport accept this totally misleading terminology that no other major league sport uses?

65. Bugs says:

Who cares about 87 years ago? Question is: what has he done for us lately?

2pts in 3 games. Leads the team in hits. That’s what he’s done for us lately.

Hell of a sight more than most on the club.

Decadently yours, I recline as

66. habs03 says:

I gotta say sorry since I made the comments about the Price/Halak thing, didn’t really mean to start anything again. On to better things, a poster below is upset O’B is sitting and Picard playing, come on, O’B is just horrible, I lost any hopes for him, he is about 26, there is no more progess, that own goal really messed him up it seems. Also when Markov comes back hopeful it helps our PP, you guys think they will go with Subban on LD and Markov on RD to have the one time set up or just have Markov at his regular LD spot?

67. ZepFan2 says:

Lol

Yeah, what’s up with the falling?

I still say they should just stick it out for now. It’s too early in the season to be panicking.

I remember the Lafleur, Lemaire and Shutt line taking time to adjust at the beginning of the season. Then again, they weren’t as in shape then as they are now.

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

68. Jordio-oh says:

Probably because he hasn’t scored a goal in 28 games…..

69. TomNickle says:

I disagree about him being their best all around forward but he’s certainly in the conversation.  He is tremendously effective for that team.

70. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Don’t forget management too, the almighty Lou in NJ really dug himself into a hole, yet he isn’t being critized for it, everyone is blaming the league.

71. fbkj says:

he played under .500 hockey in the playoffs

72. CHHockeywife0996 says:

Thank you for the positive thoughts ! :-)