Game 4: Canadiens spoil the party in Buffalo

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Josh Gorges | Alexandre Picard

• At a Glance: Forty years to the day after defeating the Buffalo Sabres in the franchise’s first NHL game, the Canadiens did it again on Friday night with a 2-1 win.
And the Canadiens can thank their defencemen for this one as they accounted for all the offence and did a good job limiting Buffalo’s chances.
Alexandre Picard, who was a healthy scratch on Wednesday night, scored the first goal of the game when his shot from the corner went off a Sabres defenceman and sliped beyond Ryan Miller.
Josh Gorges made it 2-0 in the second period with Montreal first power-play goal of the season. His shot from the point changed direction in front of Miller and rang off the post and into the net.
Derek Roy, who has a knack for scoring against the Canadiens, scored his fifth of the season in the third period to make it 2-1. Roy took advantage of a scramble in front of Carey Price’s net that left Price tangled with several players. Roy missed his first chance, but roofed his second shot.
Price stopped 22 of 23 Buffalo shots, while Miller was beat twice on 28 shots.

• Key Moments:
The Montreal power play finally came to life with the Gorges goal and that was the difference in this game. The Canadiens were 1-for-3 on the night, while the Sabres were blanked on their only power play.

• What It Means:
With the win, Montreal’s record improves to 2-1-1 for five points, three behind the surprising Maple Leafs, who are in first place in the Northeast division with a 4-0 record.

• What’s Next:
Montreal is right back at it Saturday night when the Ottawa Senators visit the Bell Centre. The Canadiens will then have a few days off before Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils come to town.

1. MTLForever says:

I’ll be at the game tonight, near Buffalo’s net for 2 periods so hopefully the puck is down there more :D 6 rows up from the ice. GO HABS GO!!!!

2. CHHockeywife0996 says:

I wonder if for just 1 day ( or even 1 hour) we could all just say positive things about our HABS …….

3. TomNickle says:

That’s not Jacques my friend…..that’s captain Kirk.

I was not sure if it was J or D, but now I know. I am little slow today!

5. _Habsoloutly_ says:

JM needs to focus some hard practice on our PP.  If our PP was clicking we’d be 3-0,  we’ve had outstanding goaltending and very good efforts by most of the team,  but the PP is just dismal.  And everyone knows success in today’s NHL stems largely from special teams success.

6. TomNickle says:

Roy’s better offensively, but not by much.  I just think that Pominville is Lindy Ruff’s puppet and will play however Ruff wants without thinking of the money he’s missing out on by playing that role.

I do think Ruff will reward him as their next captain though.

Think Pominville is one of the top 10 defensive forwards in the game.

7. joeybarrie says:

USA rugby player… We are trying to get more grit on this team… Maybe he can skate…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Alex Henry retains his C with the Hamilton Bulldogs for the 10-11 season. Ryan White and David Desharnais will be wearing the As at home games, Carle and Maxwell will have them on the road.

From @dogsplaybyplay. Useful tool if you want to track the progress of the Bulldogs game by game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. krob1000 says:

pretty close either way….I gave Pominville the honourable mention but you may be right if you see more of them than I do but from the games I have seen I give the edge to Roy…he just doesn’t many have shifts where he isn’t involved somehow…

10. krob1000 says:

Gio? I now get it Ian …..no wonder you have the connections you do….but for the record I am pretty sure his first name is Dustin ! lol

11. Storm Man says:

If he said Ennis is playing below expectations he must be on the same stuff Bugs and his band of characters are on.