Game 37: Capitals exact a measure of revenge

Canadiens goalie Carey Price and teammate Yannick Weber react after Jay Beagle’s first-period goal for the Capitals on Tuesday night. Joe Giza, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game
Blog,
Quick Hits  and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Josh Gorges | Michael Cammalleri

• At a Glance: This time, there was no celebrating for the Canadiens in Washington as they were blanked 3-0 by the Capitals on Tuesday night. The first two goals came late in the first period and were the result of some poor execution by the Canadiens. Jay Beagle scored with a great backhand shot that went over Carey Price’s right shoulder with 3:40 to play after the Canadiens lost a puck battle behind Price’s net. Mike Green made it 2-0 in the final minute of play as the Canadiens scrambled in their own end and Green was left alone to Price’s right and blasted a one-timer into the top corner. Alex Ovechkin scored into an empty-net in the final minute to seal the win, which was never really in doubt. The Canadiens were flat on the power play, going 0-for-5, while also blanking the Capitals in eight chances.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens were completely dominated in the faceoff circle all night by the Capitals.

• What It Means:
Montreal’s struggles continue as they have lost seven of their last nine games and fall to 20-15-2.

• What’s Next:
The road trip’s final two games are Thursday and Friday against the Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers, respectively.

1. light_n_tasty says:

Have you seen our roster? Seriously, do you think a different coach would make any difference?

2. light_n_tasty says:

When you take a good hard look at our roster, I don’t think you can expect much more.  The team is playing to its potential, and a different coach wouldn’t change our place in the standings.  An impact centre, a healthy all-star defenceman…these are the things that would make the difference.

3. Everlasting1 says:

Been reading my posts?!

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

4. Everlasting1 says:

An invalid domain name.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

5. Kooch7800 says:

Wiz is a good player. You will see he will be a nice addition to the Habs.

There will be another trade shortly.  I would put money on it that it is already almost done.  We can`t score, plain and simple.  Our top 6 are not consistent enough. Plek`s is our only game in and game out offensive weapon.  All of our top three additions from last year Gio, Gomez and Cammy have all realy struggled this year and it is starting to show.

To give up 3 goals (one empty net) to Washington is not bad.  Not scoring any is the real issue with this team.

6. dh says:

Yeah he can hook up with the cycling guys and get some of those magic vitamins…

7. larisalapointe says:

P-ster I still have my pink glasses on. And they ain’t coming off. LOL

Just trying to have some responsible discussion here.

Coached? Like how? Throwing Halak in there and saying Hail Mary all game long? :)

9. keepthefaith says:

Another crappy comeback. From now on i will skip your posts. They are all the same anyway. As you were.

And with Chelios’ secret training program Hammer and Spach will be playing well into their 50s.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Jeff Schultz was +50 with the Capitals last season and he isn’t even half the defender that +21 Duncan Keith was, the reigning Norris Trophy winner on that season.

When you play 23+ minutes per game for the NYI, a team that is 2nd-worst in the East for GA, you tend to be on for a lot of those goals whether they are your fault or not. +/- is a stat that needs to be carefully measured with ice time, D-partner and the overall team. Zach Bogosian had a -18 last season with ATL, he isn’t worse than Bruno Gervais or Matt Hunwick who had slightly better.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. larisalapointe says:

Edit: Didn’t realize you were talking about the D coach.

13. punkster says:

Ouch, Rob. Keep it friendly man. You gotta admit that was a classic whine. Nothing is right and it’s all on JM. I’m an optimist, you wear glasses. I see the glass half full, you see the bowl half empty. I know I can usually counter your opinion with another viewpoint and not get into a pissing contest or worse.

Maybe I just don’t take this all as seriously. It’s a freakin’ game played by millionaire kids and couldn’t be further from my hockey roots. I watched a bunch of kids on the pond in my old home town last weekend. End-to-end action, dekes and fakes, scrambles in front to the nets, shots from every angle and laughter and fun. I don’t see that in the NHL so much, do you? I wish I did. Anyways. No problems with us. Keep it chill.

***Subbang!!!***

14. AH says:

I too have thought about Chelios as a D coach, I think that would be great…now there’s a guy who could play D and O, and never took crap from anyone, and certainly handed it out too!

15. SmartDog says: