Game 35: Thrashers edge Habs in shootout

Updated Sunday 6:20 am ET with new links, Carbonneau audio

Canadiens’ Cristobal Huet is cleanly beaten by Atlanta Thrashers’ Marian Hossa for a shootout goal.
Tammi Chappell, Reuters

Carbonneau Post-Game Audio (French only)

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog

The Canadiens’ three-game road winning streak came to an end Saturday night, in a shootout.

The Atlanta Thrashers earned a 3-2 home-ice win with shootout goals by Marian Hossa and Vyacheslav Kozlov while both Saku Koivu and Sergei Kostitsyn of the Canadiens couldn’t beat goalie Kari Lehtonen at the other end of the ice.

Hossa was successful on his shootout effort, drilling one past Canadiens goalie Cristobal Huet, while Kozlov followed with a pretty deke to score.

Koivu was pokechecked by Lehtonen, and Kostitsyn’s attempt to deke and go high was blocked by the Atlanta goalie’s pad.

The Canadiens handily outshot their hosts 36-25 through three periods – they were 3-3 in overtime – but came up short nevertheless, earning a single point for their work.

Huet was totally fooled by Kozlov’s game-opening goal at 4:31 of the first period, fanning on a 40-foot snap shot from along the boards near the faceoff circle to his right.

It took a few minutes for the Canadiens to rediscover the skating legs they showed early, but industrious work by Koivu finally set up linemate Sergei Kostitsyn for the Russian rookie’s second career goal in as many games, this one coming on a rebound off Koivu’s close-in shot past Lehtonen at 12:16.

For the first time in the longest time, the Canadiens dominated the first period, outshooting their hosts 11-5.

The second period was largely a circus of missed chances, the Canadiens outshooting Atlanta 14-12. They seemed headed to their dressing rooms tied at one until Atlanta’s Éric Perrin put the Thrashers in front with 1:07 to go on the power play, converting a short cross-crease pass from Hossa over a prone Huet.

Alex Kovalev’s 15th of the season put the Canadiens back on even footing, blasting a 43-foot slap shot from the faceoff circle that found its way beneath Lehtonen’s trapper at 8:20. Though not a power-play goal, it might as well have been – Atlanta’s Ilya Kovalchuk was out of the box just one second when Kovalev tied the score.

The Habs didn’t make things easy for themselves in the final two minutes of regulation time. Defenceman Roman Hamrlik took a minor penalty for holding the stick with 1:45 left to play, but the Canadiens resisted good Thrashers pressure, including a blocked shot by Francis Bouillon with seconds left, to force overtime.

The Canadiens left immediately after the game for Dallas, where they play sniper Mike Ribeiro and his Stars tonight.

1. A. Berke says:

you must be in Dallas because Houston Chronicle did never mention hockey scores except maybe for the Aeros in a forgotten corner of the paper (where they needed to fill a bit of space).

BTW high school football is greater than pretty much anything else in Tejas.

Ali B.

2. Leclerc1965 says:

Even though we have begged and clamored for your old pic smart dog, good post.

3. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

1. Jason Blake who is a 40 goal scorer has only 3 goals since oct, but has never been a scratch or otherwise…explain? and why haven’t we taken the same route with Ryder? and don’t tell me he’s been given his chance.
    2. Explain why we have the #1 powerplay in the league? Fluke? or isn’t a contender only to have that accolade?
    3. All is now forgive after 2 goals?
    4. Agree
    5. Sit but not traded….you’ll understand later in the sched.
    6. Really? I think we have 2 #1’s
    7. Plek is playing his best year to date.
    8. Agree
    9. Agree, if they want to come here for PRIDE to wear the CH then we’ll let them, but I wouldn’t give even Breeze up if they didn’t feel THAT pride…if its about money then we need to expose them in the press.
    10. Best point.

1. until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    2. Delenda Est Torontium….
    3. your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

4. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Cheers Scotty, and all other “élites” following the greatest team in the history of the world…Merry Christmas.

We all share a passion for a team that we can (99% of us) point to a year or group of years and reminisce about the STANLEY CUP.

…forever a Hab Disciple.

1. until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    2. Delenda Est Torontium….
    3. your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”

5. Sulemaan says:

Spot (no pun intended) on top 10 list Smart Dog.

6. Sulemaan says:

Scotty et al,

Best of the holiday season to you and your family as well. Merry Christmas.

I’m thrilled to be part of a site where people are not only as passionate about the Habs (if not more so) as me but extremely knowledgeable as well. Remember Serge Lapointe? 😉

One of my favorite past-times now is watching the game and reading/commenting while it happens on this site. Hat tip to Dave, Pat, Kevin and Mike for I/O.

7. mjames says:

As is typical of you and your friends, you have to resort to name calling when someone disagrees with tastless comments. Your are correct about the benefit of having pictures adjacent to the posts.

8. Scotty90 says:

there is nothing wrong with dreaming! If nobody had dreams we might still be rubbing twigs together to make a fire. That said, Ovechkin is what?… 22 years old? what I see of him he enjoys life to the fullest, he appears to be a real joker and that tells me that he probably really enjoys the company of good friends. At hockey, he is somewhat of a showman and nothing would turn him as much of a hometown crowd chanting his name and blowing the roof off the arena. Money? yeah everyone likes money to a certain degree but it is not necessarily the most important thing in many athlete’s life….. read Alfredson who could be making a hell of a lot more in Ottawa… the guy likes Ottawa, he likes his team-mates, and he is quite satisfied where he is.

Would Ovechkin enjoy the ‘joie de vivre’ that you will find in Montreal? I think so! Would Ovechkin enjoy carousing with Montreal women? They’re the best in the world as far as I am concerned. Would Ovechkin be happy playing alongside his countrymen, Markov, Kovalev, the two Kostityns, Emelin, Valentenkov….? Personally if I was playing in another country, there is nothing I would like better than to play with Canadian friends. Would Ovechkin get excited by the Bell Centre crowds? The best fans in the world! He’d be pumping adrenalline like there is no tomorrow. Would Ovechkin be proud of wearing the CH, the most storied sports team in the world? Would he like to contribute to bringing a cup to Montreal on its 100th anniversary? what do you think?

Now…. somebody pinch me..please!

Enjoy the game tonight!

P.S. Mr. Markov, if you are reading this….. your buddy is very welcome to join the team… let him know. Mr. Gainey work your magic! Landing Oveckin would be enough to raise your business suit to the rafters right next to your #23…. a Habs first!

9. Bouleau noir says:

I disagree, bashing Carbo on this site has hardly occured,.. but more and more critical comments about “his coaching ways” are starting to appears now that he is half way throught his second season as a coach and that the fans have had a little while to “appreciate” his work better.

Some are not impressed and I am one of them.

For me it started right at the beginning last season when he was asked to define the style he would be asking his players to play the game.

His answer conforted me,… ” the same style they played under Gainey and during the Canes series,.. a puck pursuit scenario where players are agressive on the pucks in all 3 zones “.

They played that style for about three games but were soon retroverted to the more passive and positional type of game played under Julien which had got him fired the previous season… and kepted that style going for the season,… dysfonctional team and performances were the results… only the all star performances of Huet in the first half saved them from being at nearer to the bottom were they should have been.

A coach has to find ways to make the whole better than the sum of its parts,.. the opposite happened last season and we are witnessing a similar tendency this season were the CH showed a more agressive puck pursuit style with success in the beginning only to revert once again to the more passive style that sunked them last year.

The press has been silent about Carbo as there is very little positive to be said about his work and I wish some posters in here could tell us more about the positive elements that they see him contributing to this team.

Personally, I doubt him having the talent and knowledge necessary for providing the best that the craft of coaching as to offer to a team,.. I am un-impressed by the team’s collective game, style and lack of progress…. also at the difficulty they always seem having to just keep being motivated.

10. mbplekfan says:

The book on Carey is that he goes down early leaving the top corners open. You’ll see more and more shooter going upstairs on Carey.

That being said, he is rock solid down low. There is only the top corners left to put the puck in.

11. ClaytonM says:

The problem is Smolinski has a no-trade clause for the 1 year he signed for. While I doubt he’ll pull a Samsonov and become a cancer in the dressing room, he will have to show a lot of character to stay positive while getting scratched. Here’s hoping he does just that and teaches some of his younger teammates how to act with some class instead of talking about it in the media.

12. ClaytonM says:

While I’m sure they’re all glad to earn the 2 points in D.C., Carbo surely had something to say about their sloppy play Thursday night. There’s no way they can expect to win games like that regularly. So the Lapierre line will need to shut down Kovalchuk and friends, and the 1st & 2nd lines had better show up tonight. Here’s hoping Sergei catches fire for the trip after popping his cherry. Here’s also hoping Higgins realizes he has 2 linemates and notices when one of them is wide open if front of the net.

No goalie controversy this weekend with 2 games in a row. As for my 2 cents, Price has been the steadier of the 2 playing a more sound positional game, and Huet has run more hot & cold thus far. What I’m waiting to see is Huet to get red hot for a 2 week stretch and steal a game or two.

Hey Paul !

Married three times, 4 kids, Habs Fan, your still on the right side of the grass and your a maritimer !

Sound like my kind of guy!

14. Higgins21 says:

I agree with the posts that say “stick with the kids!”. Spot Slowinski and Breeze-by only when the situation demands (injury, suspension, slump, etc.). When Begin returns he can be the top forward fill-in. For “D” use Streit or Dandenault if they have to but leave #71 in the pressbox unless it’s an absolute necessity.
    That leaves Ryder. Might have to send him down and let the chips fall where they may. It’s a real pity. But maybe Gainey could see it coming. That’s why no multi-year contract. He’s become this year’s Samsonov.
    How many teams are carrying as many rookies as we are? Price, Chipchura, O’Byrne, S. Kostitsyn plus near-rookies (A. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Lapierre) We have the youth.

Big game tonight! Go Habs Go!

15. mrstewart61 says:

agree 100%

16. TradeRyder says:

They say he makes no secret of the fact that he likes Montreal. I heard he makes no secret of the fact that he likes Toronto. And he probably likes New York too. And Dallas is kind of a cool city. Florida is sunny and warm. Vancouver is beautiful. etc. etc….zzzzzzzzzz

Too late to trade Ryder now….shoulda listened!

17. TradeRyder says:

I agree Ian. I feel bad that Ryder hasn’t worked out this season but I really believe his style is not a good match for where the team is going. I would love it if he suddenly caught fire, but if not, I hope he gets a fresh start and gets his touch back (except against us).

Too late to trade Ryder now….shoulda listened!

18. mbplekfan says:

I agree with every single point you make.

I fear that Carbo may put Breezer back in the lineup out of some misguided loyalty to a veteran.

It is also abundantly clear that Lapierre and Chipper have taken Smolinski’s job from him, just like Lats has taken Ryder’s.

Habs will be inconsistent but will improve greatly in closing weeks of the season.

19. Ed says:

I don’t know why you would think that Ryder is a big man on a small team. He just hits like a big man. He is actually the smallest player on the roster, other than Grabovski who is now in the AHL.

A lot of people wanted to trade me when i was young and slipping. But it only takes one to beleave in you, for the blooming process. Pride, Dedication and hard work with fan suport, gets one to the top!!

21. Mattee. says:

Add this to your Christmas list. Here’s to wishful thinking…

22. TradeRyder says:

It was a guess but I saw the team developing more skill and speed and I think Ryder’s game is just very, very, basic. And I’m a big believer in plus-minus – and his sucks. He might go to a team like Boston where they play a more physical up-the-middle game. It’s too bad because he seems like a really good guy. But that doesn’t put food on the table.

Too late to trade Ryder now….shoulda listened!

23. Smart Dog says:

In the spirit of the holiday season, I came up with TEN THINGS that I think (almost) everyone here at HIO can agree on!

Here they are:

1. Ryder has been given chances, but has not produced. Now the team needs to be given the chance to win without him. Ryder will probably come out of his slump, but probably not with a CH on his chest. Maybe with a bird or dog, or some other foolish animal.

2. The Habs are a team in development. Not a real contender, but on some nights they do look like it – and thank god for that!

3. Lats has earned his spot. At the start of the year it was questionable, but he’s one of the few players that can make a case that he’s learning how to be a much better player under this coaching staff.

4. Breezer should sit – the young Dmen should play. Nuf said.

5. Slowinsky… huh? Is he still on the team? Oh yeah – he should sit or be traded, whatever.

6. Huet is our #1 goalie. Price is about as good a back-up as you could get… but let’s let the kid break into the game at a pace that lets him watch and think.

7. Chipchura, Kostitsyn (K1), are the brightest lights among our rookies. Plekanic may be a future all-star if he can add a little more umph to his game.

8. The team plays best when they control the play in the neutral zone, not when they run out of it like scared rabbits to hide behind their own blue line.

9. We need to find a sniping winger or centerman to add before we will have a complete team. And it’s not Vinny or Alex – the only way those guys would come here is if they suddenly decide they want to. And that’s not likely to happen. So give it a rest!

10. Carbs is a great hockey man, and maybe a great coach someday, but only if he listens to the HIO group more!

and… Hab fans are the best!!!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

Hi Scotty,

Hope you finish that beer by New Years, so we can enjoy one together one day!!!
    Best of the season to you.

25. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

At the first of the season I didn tagree with you to trade Rider ,but you must have known something we didn’t.Now I have to agree with you.

26. Moey says:

I’m not going to argue with you. I’ve never met you, know nothing about you, but what I do know for sure is that you are a curmudgeon.

As far as my “cronies” go, there is no mob mentality here. It’s human nature to communicate more with people with whom one has more commonalities with.

Now that there are pictures posted, it’s much easier to recognize and skip over the posters that don’t float your boat.

Hi Moey,

Best of the season to you also. As far as the game goes to night, I just want honest effort, and to be entertained with intensity. Don’t forget we are young and this is a game of mistakes.

So when in doubt, get it out. And keep it at the other end as long as we can, with all means possible.

28. Smart Dog says:

Same to you Scotty! I always enjoy your comments. You are one of the smart ones (because I usually agree with you!)… and ironically, one of the more sober!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

29. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

thanks Moey ,There is nothing better than habs fans because we may be negative about the habs and they ask for it if they are not up to playing well.Sometimes it bothers me when some people talk bad adout our team,but if you listen to everyones comments usually they are right,if everyone was positave all trhe time it would be a boring sight like the leafs fans.

30. Smart Dog says:

That’s why they call me smart ! Thanks for the note… I didn’t go to the last HIO game this year, but will try to make it if they plan one next year. Sounds like a good time – and it would be great to meet all the crazy people (the ones who disagree with me!) who write here. Hope you have a great Holiday Season Paul – and that the Habs deliver you a couple of wins!!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

31. Scotty90 says:

If any Habs are reading this… Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your families. May the New Year bring health and success.

To all Habs Insideouters whose posts I thoroughly enjoy reading, Krob (MIA?), HabsProf, Nightmare, Ian, 24 Cups and so many more, tks for your insight and opinions. Great big thanks to Dave and Gazette colleagues for running this site…. Merry Christmas and all the best in 2008.

Here’s a toast to all of you…. Cheers!

Hi Paul,

Sure not as embarrasing writing on this thing, I don’t get as red in the face and I have shaken off all my infearior complexes, spelling ! I don’t give a dam as long as i can get a point accross. I’m 64 and working at it every day, I’m dislectic, for the rest of my life, and i might run the bases from 3rd to 1st sometimes, but I can still hit the ball out of the park and that gives me enough time to run back.

Keep posting, we will get along just fine. Make sure you get to the next Habs summit, it was wonderfull!

WE will talk N.B. later. I built the largest silver fox ranch there in Canada in the 70,s

33. Maffu says:

It’s CARBO!!

34. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

smart dog you are right .I have the magazine from the last time they won the cup.

35. mjames says:

The comments may not be positive but they are objective and honest and not deserving of a “flag offensive” as some posts are. I am sure you and your cronies know what I am talking about.

36. Smart Dog says:

Thanks NB,

I think that creepy picture must be stored somewhere on the Internet! People tell me it shows up, but I only use the new one!

About your question… wouldn’t that be Carbo under the banner?

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

37. showey47 says:

I know i watched him score 2 more last night. Even though i was happy gainey traded him because that crap he pulled against the bruins was nothing short of disgusting and downright embarrasing. I’m sure the other players,management and the coaching staff all felt the same way. He did have a reputation of being soft, lazy and “being in love with being a hockey instead of loving to play hockey” (which was part of his love of the night life)

38. Moey says:

Hi Paul,

Your should post more often. Who cares about spelling etc, none of us are going for the Pulitzer prize of blogging. We could use some more positive posts to offset the negatives.

Best wishes & happy holidays!

39. mar-lin says:

I don’t find it that depressing because he would never have done as well here. He really couldn’t handle the pressure, not to mention his little clique and his god complex. I’m satisfied with what had to be done, it just didn’t work out as well for us unfortunately. Don’t forget who his linemates are and the fact that he gets major PP minutes.

I agree with you about our future…it’s really starting to unfold nicely.

go habs go

40. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

Hi smart dog see you back to you picture ,my wife gets the chills whe she see it LOL..the other picture looks like a smarter dog she says,I enjoy reading your comments ..

41. Moey says:

Season’s greetings Ian to you and yours. I have enjoyed your posts, they’re honest, to the point and a breath of fresh air.

So what’s your thoughts on tonight, do we get a win or coals in our Hab’s stocking?

42. Smart Dog says:

Glad to have you hear Paul! Don’t worry about your typing. It’s your ideas that tell the truth about you, not your spelling.

Happy Holidays from one Habs fan to all others!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

43. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

Hay guys do you know who is in the picture during the rising of the banner the last time we won the cup ?

44. Smart Dog says:

While we all pray that one of our superstar forwards hits 30 goals, a little player named Mike Ribeiro who we traded for a spare tire and some magic beans is on pace for 39 goals and 84 points. Depressing.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

45. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

HI Ian,
    My name is Paul Bourgoin and I have been reading the post and some time I get the courage to post my comments sometimes.Reason I dont, I cant type to well and spell to great,but I do enjoy being on habs in sideout.I have read some of your comments and find you are a true habs fan like my self. I live for this team and love them.I to have raised 4 kids and married 3 wife told me yesterday that she wanted to go to a hockey game in Montreal next year ,that is what she wants to get me for christmas next year.
    Hope we can be friends and chat some time ,I feel we have alot in common and a few stories to share.thanks for your time, Paul

46. habfan53 says:

I have’nt seen the lines for tonight but I hope Carbo keeps the Latendresse, Lapierre , Dandenault line together.
    I was the one line that I thought showed spark and effort thru the whole game Thursday. I like the way Lats has been blocking shots of late.
    Then have Kovalev, Plekanec and Kotsysin together
    and Higgins, Koivu and Kotstysin.
    That will leave Streit, Chipchura, and Ryder on the last line with Smolinski upstairs.
    Another thing I think for the rest of the season put a suit on Brisebois put him behind the bench or upstairs and have him TEACH the youngsters (Gorges, O’Byrne and Komisarek) and hopefully the veterans(Markov, Hamarlik and Bouillon )will listen as well.

There is a good team here they are going to make mistakes. We all do.

I good friend of mine always asks me “How games have you played in the NHL” whenever I critized a players lack of ability or dumb plays. I think he’s right

47. mjames says:

Not to worry. Ryder will do fine when he leaves the Habs and goes somewhere where he is appreciated. We will all then marvel at his backchecking, scoring and skating, particualrly when he plays agaisnt us. I think Dallas might give him a chance since Riberio seems to be working out and we all he is useless hockey player.

I always ask myself how Philly can get the players they got for a broken down player like Forsberg last year and we get or will get nothing for our players (Riberio, Ryder, Souray, etc.).

48. showey47 says:

I really hope obyrne and gorges keep their spots on defence, both of them look much better out there than breezer does.

49. Blitzen says:

I didn’t know your history but congratulations on learning to read and write. You probably know this but Jacques Demers also recently learned to read and write. I think it was great for him to come out as vocally as he did. I’m sure several people used him as an encouragement to learn for themselves. He never singles out reporters who give him a hard time but he even told Ron King – on one of Quebec’s most watched TV shows – to leave him alone with the stupid comments about his lack of education.

Happy Holidays!

50. mjames says:

I scanned the site. No one is disputing the fact that Carbo was not a “good” (not great but good) player but he is not a good NHL coach, yet. I do not question the talent on this team. I submit to you if you asked the players if they like how the team plays they would say they do not like it. My big complaint with Carbo is that he refuses to adapt his style to suit his team’s skills.

Listed below are traits of a good coach. Ask yourself if Carbo is missing many of these traits. I can, in good conscience, say that he does. Be honest in evaluating Carbo. These traits were not developed by me. There were obtained off internet. Based on these characteristics Carbo has not made the grade , yet.

“Knows the discipline he’s coaching:
    It’s trivial, but the coach has to know ins and outs of the discipline – the rules, the history, the tactics etc. Without it they won’t be able to do their job properly and will probably quickly lose face when they start making mistakes.

Motivates the players:
    This is probably the single most important trait of a good coach. Without proper motivation, everything comes apart. Remember that a coach will need to lead a team of individuals, everyone with different personal goals. The coach’s job is give the players enough motivation to make them start doing things as good as they are able to, and turn their attention from their private matters to the pitch.

Talks only when it gets results:
    A good coach will never speak without a good cause. If they talk too much, they will never actually be listened, so a coach is a person who should talk only when necessary – this will give their words an extra weigh.

Is able to listen:
    Being calmer than usual means also that a coach should be a good listener. If they are to become a good coach, they need to become a surrogate father or mother for their team and listening is the single most important trait that can make it possible.

Knows their team:
    Another important matter is knowing one’s team. And it is not only about matching their numbers with the names. A good coach knows everything – both about professional and private life of their players.

Treats everyone individually:
    While (or because) a good coach should know everybody and do their best to hold the place together, it is necessary to treat every player individually. Yelling works only on some of them, the same story is with talking seriously. Using the same method to get everyone do what you say will surely end in breaking some of your players to pieces.

Leads by example:
    The last, but not least: a good coach do themselves everything he will ask others to do. They always set an example – they are first on the trainings and perform every single exercise they order other to do.”

51. Naila Jinnah says:

It wasn’t a booze problem. But the family is asking for privacy.

Good day boys and girls. It is so nice for me now that i have some skill in reading and writing and to be able to have fun on my first computer enjoying my favorite sport with my favorite people.

A lot of you know my history with this hockey club so i won’t go back with that. But I just want to let all of you know how very much i apreaciate all of you and the men from the montreal gazette. I have received help, understanding and encouragement from many. You know who you are, and i have met some of you at the summit. I wish all of you a very happy festive season.

Only I know what a liberation i feel every day now that i have learned to comunicate by reading and writing. I have a lot to be thankfull for at this time of year.

Love you all, and no matter what religion or not you tend to follow or not, look out for each other.

53. Hoegarden says:

If we look at last year, Ryder had 30 goals and Souray had 28. 17 of Ryder’s goals came on the PP and Souray had around 20 or so, yet our PP is humming along just fine (still first or second ??). These numbers tell the whole story for me on these two players. We got over Souray and it’s time to get over Mikey. Carbo made it clear that he had more than 30 games to get his game on track. For whatever reason, he has not. There is noting left other than to put him on waivers or possibly trade him for a late rounder. Injuries could bring him back for we certainly will not hope for that.

Merry Christmas to all Habs fans and their families.

54. Blitzen says:

I don’t think we necessarily need that point man cause our PP is pretty good but I think Ryder isn’t quick with the puck and he definitely needs a big point man to take the pressure off of him and give him time.

He doesn’t seem quick enough to me. I mean look at Lats, he’s not exactly lighting in a bottle but he’s got a much quicker trigger than Ryder so he doesn’t need the extra time, and I think he’s learning to position himself better on the PP giving himself a split second more to shoot. Ryder just keeps trying to slowly deek people and loses the puck. Ryder needs to get his butt in front of the net pronto every PP and move his feet to free himself from checkers while keeping his stick on the ice for a pass. Lats is learning that and Ryder needs to learn it.

If we’re gonna trade big, I would much rather we go for a big forward than a big D-Man. But we’re not gonna trade big so this is just pointless banter.

Dear Texas – We’ll trade you Brisebois and the rights to Janne Noneimaa for Mike Ribeiro. We’ll even throw in a real fresh cut Canadian Christmas tree. Merry Christmas!

The Original 24 Cups

56. WindsorHab-10 says:

Brett Hull was in the crease and his goal shouldn’t have counted.

I agree. Staal was an 18 year old rookie last year who probably shouldn’t have been in the NHL and now he is suffering the sophmore jinx. He is a fantastic prospect who is heads and shoulders above Ryder (and most of the other Habs) talent wise. I would trade the world to get this guy as he would be the answer to our problems at centre ice. As for Ryder, his dilemma would be a good story line for the mystery channel. I don’t think anyone can figure out why things have gone this bad for this long. He was never going to re-sign with the Habs for next year and now his production is being taken over by guys like Sergei K. and Lats so we’re not hurting on the ice because of Ryder’s slump. The real loss for the Canadiens will ultimately be that we won’t get much for him at the trade deadline which will be a shame. I was hoping for a Rivet type deal that we pulled off with San Jose last year. Alas, there will be no first round pick coming for Ryder in late February.

The Original 24 Cups

58. TommyB says:

I agree with you on this cournoyer12, and thank you RetroMikey for the great website! I have quickly scanned the site and decided I better bookmark it. There is much to read, and much to look at.

59. WindsorHab-10 says:

Lack of talent? Where did you get that from. This team has talent and the coach has a problem putting it to work. No one is questioning Carbonneay the player. Coaching is a much different story.

60. LTHF says:

Dont know what that got to do with it , they are not rookies this year and they are both having problems, one is getting the ice time the other isnt— simple as that

61. odber says:

Ryder is a big man on a small team and if he ,s not scoring he has to be hitting people and creating room for the smaller guys.He can,t be pouting about missed shots or a lack of goals.He needs to do whatever it takes to help the team and against Toronto he did just that.I hope he gets his head on straight because he can be an effective player even if he isn,t scoring.
    I agree with alberta habs fan,play the kids,brisebois is just insurance.

62. RetroMikey says:

I found an interesting website dedicated to our coach

Guy Carbonneau

Very interested reading material for all those who are bashing at our coach and know nothing about him. Perhaps some will have a second opinion about him coaching our Habs.

Okay, about the game tonite, will be a tough game to play but with Huet back in the nets ( IMO, he is still our No. 1 goalie until Price proves himself), we look good heading into the new year. We just have to play hard and hustle game in and out I say. Let’s pray we don’t catch the flu like last year which was our downfall, so they say!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Habs fans and their loved ones worldwide!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

63. LTHF says:

Here we go again wondering what Ryder’s fate is tonight, probably will be in the pressbox trying desperately to break out of the scoring slump, probably working on different grips on his stick. Thats the place to work out of slump. An interesting point in comparing 2 players with similar point outputs last year, that is Ryder and Jordan Staal. Staal scored his 3rd goal last night. He has played in all 35 games and logging lots of icetime. Guess the difference is in coaching. There they are giving Staal every opportunity to come out of it.

64. Nova Scotia Hab Fan says:

Does anyone know what happened to Ryders brother? Heard he was sent back to the rock, liked his adult refreshments a bit to much is the word on the street.
    Play Ryder or do the same with him hard to score goals from the presss box

65. Smart Dog says:

I hate to wish someone ill will… but when I heard he was retiring because of concussions it seemed like justice. It doesn’t matter if the league allows it or not – the players need to be responsible to the realities that they know. Stevens liked to hurt people – badly. The game is better without him. He should not be in the hall of fame.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

A lot of his hits were borderline and at times he would come in and catch a guy with his shoulder ans stick at the same time. He seemed to take delight in derailing guys at mid ice when they had their heads down. You can say it’s part of the game but at the same time you have to show discretion once in awhile – it’s a guy’s livelihood that we’re talking about here. Anyway, the irony was that he ultimately had to retire because of a severe concussion.

The Original 24 Cups

67. AlbertaHabsFan says:

I have nothing against the breezer, but I’d rather see the developmental ice time spent on O’Byrne and Georges. If someone goes down to injury or needs a night off, I feel confident in breezer’s ability. It’s nice for a change to have lot’s of replacement parts for the Montreal machine rather than cringe when someone limps off the ice.

Joyeux Noel from the great state of Texas. Boy does the hockey coverage here suck, 6th page in the paper behind high school football.

68. Ed says:

Carbonneau has solved the problem of Ryder holding his stick too tightly. You are not allowed to bring a stick into the press box. Of the Canadiens’ last 6 games, 3 have been at home & 3 on the road. Ryder has been benched on the road, while he has played in front of the boo birds at the Bell Centre. The next 5 games are on the road, so don’t look to see Ryder on the ice soon.

69. Blitzen says:

I think Ryder has been given AMPLE opportunity to shake things on the top line and hasn’t done squat. Maybe it’s mental but maybe, as someone else has suggested, it’s the lack of a huge shot from Souray on the PP that has allowed other teams to focus a little more on other guys. When Ryder wasn’t the focus and had space, he scored on the PP. Now that he doesn’t have time and space he struggles.

I have no doubt that if he ends up on a different team, perhaps away from the hotstove in MTL, he’ll score again. But if he stays here and keeps holding his stick too tightly, no amount of ice time will cure that.

They are absolutely not going to put him on waivers. They’ll trade him for a 7th round pick before they do that.

70. downeast hab says:

RYDER. either play him, or put him on waivers. people might say trade him for something, but when the coaches think nothing of him then why should they get something for him. Next summer the only part of him theyll see is his cheeks. YOU DONT EXPECT A PLAYER TO GET POINTS EITHER IN THE PB, OR PLAYING HALF THE SHIFTS AS OTHER PLAYERS. STOP SCREWING WITH IS ABILITY.

71. Blitzen says:

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Give a Cheer for the Habs tonight. Well more than one actually.

72. Smart Dog says:

Ultimately, Stevens was a goon. A talented goon, but he had a goon’s mentality… which makes him a goon.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

73. TradeRyder says:

a brain dead idiot like Steve Downey or Chris Simon
    Yeah, they’re like Vampires – making other players brain dead too by giving them concussions.

I know it’s not popular to say it, but I feel the same about Scott Stevens. Glad that guy’s gone. He ruined a couple of careers and lives. Hockey should be ashamed of guys like that, not celebrate them.

Too late to trade Ryder now….shoulda listened!

74. TradeRyder says:

Couldn’t agree with you more PPBQ & Gman…

I can’t believe the coaching staff can’t see that this 4 man blue line trap ain’t stoppin nuthin. During the last game we had 2 forecheckers most of the time. The only way to stop Kovalchuck is to knock him on his ass or to constantly hound him (Chipchura?). Let’s hope the boys are free to throw some hits.

As much as I am frustrated with our system… Rome wasn’t built in a day. You have to let Carbo try some things and figure out what works. Hopefully he’s smart enough to adapt and not obsess over a system that worked in a different NHL. Hopefully he’ll see that the teams that are dominating aren’t doing that. Hopefully he’ll see that this squad needs to attack to win, control the puck to win, and forecheck and backcheck to win… and not stand around their own blueline. Hopefully…

Too late to trade Ryder now….shoulda listened!

75. G-Man says:

Great story in this morning’s Gazette about why fans loved the Original 6 NHL. After watching the players get armored up, from helmets to gigantic shoulder and elbow pads, it’s no wonder there are more injuries and less respect. The players think they are invincible out there. Until, of course, they run into a brain dead idiot like Steve Downey or Chris Simon.

Many experts dismissed this year’s edition of the Habs as a 13th place team. It’s been a pleasant surprise that they are mediocre and not bottom feeders. However, the Habs are one or at most 2 impact players away from contending, making me and most other fans used to the winning tradition unimpressed. For those of you who want to watch firewagon hockey, look elsewhere. This team is being groomed into a juggernaut of huge D men, superb goalies and fearless power forwards. The last bit about the power forwards will take 2 more years, sigh.
    Happy Holidays, everybody!