Game 34: Canadiens fall to Stars

Stars left wing Jamie Benn scores on Canadiens goaltender Carey Price last night. Tim Sharp, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game
Blog,
 Quick hits
and About
last night …

| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO:  Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Tomas Plekanec | Stéphane Robidas

• At a Glance: The season’s longest road trip is not off to the start the Canadiens has hoped for. They lost their second straight on Tuesday night, a 5-2 decision at the hands of the rising Dallas Stars. Dallas took a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals from Adam Burish and Jamie Benn, a shorthanded effort. They made it 3-0 early in the second when Karlis Skrastins popped a loose puck beyond Carey Price after the goalie thought he had the puck frozen between his pads. THe Canadiens got that one back midway through the period when Travis Moen’s pass to the front of the net went off Mathieu Darche and behind Kari Lehtonen. But Brad Richards erased any doubt that the Stars were in control of this game when he scored a power-play goal with three minutes to go in the second period. Brian Gionta made it 4-2 with a shorthanded goal of his own 12 minutes into the third period, the Canadiens captain’s 12th goal of the season. But on the same Dallas power play, Loui Eriksson scored to make it 5-2 less than a minute after Gionta’s goal.
• Key Moments: Trailing 1-0 and on the power play, the Canadiens had a shot blocked at the point and Jamie Benn went in alone on Price, scoring to make it 2-0.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost the first two games on their seven-game road trip and sees its record fall to 19-13-2.

• What’s Next: The road trip continues in Carolina on Thursday before a break for Christmas, then the team hits the road again for games against the New York Islanders, Washington Capitals, the Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers on New Year’s Eve.

1. MTLForever says:

cant do anything about that goal, great deflection.

2. adam76 says:

Are you saying bruce boudreau should still be employed?

Team will be in 8th after tonight – time to worry.

3. Bugs says:

My boy Poolio mighta put a little mustard on that penalty-incurring hot-dog.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

4. adam76 says:

another loss – wow, Dec sucks.

5. MTLForever says:

Let us see if we get a penalty in the last few minutes of the first again? GOHABSGO

6. Say Ash says:

Attention East-Coast fans:

WAKE UP!

There’s a game about to start!

7. terrygain says:

This is not Carey’s fault. We have a clueless coach who gets a stupid idea in his head and stubbornly sticks to it. There’s no excuse for refusing to play Pouliot on the Gomez  line or insisting on playing 3rd and 4th liners like Moen and Lapierre on the Gomez line

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

8. A. Berke says:

Fine Thank you.

Have been mostly reading comments more so than posting though.

Cheers,

Ali B.

9. sholi2000.com says:

Holy “the sky is falling”.

The Caps just lost 8 in a row, I think the Habs can survive a tiny losing streak.

Very funny though, thanks.

They Call Me Shane

10. Born in a Bad Year says:

In the world of lies, damn lies and statistics…

I can prove that O’Byrne is the best defensive defenceman in the NHL.

There are only two defencemen in the NHL that are in the top ten in goal differential both even strength and short handed.  O’Byrne and Meszaros. O’Byrne is better shorthanded and they are tied even strength.

11. lavie says:

While the rest of the team don’t show up, we do need a brilliant Price.

Even though the team is still leading the NE Division, we do see some minor problems.

12. terrygain says:

It’s definitely you. Price is very good on breakaways. In fact he’s better on breakaways than Jaro, whom I love.

13. Omit says:

How did you punish or reprimand your employee when they didn’t perform their duties?

14. HabsFansince49 says:

Thank you! Much better articulated than my words. Well said!

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

15. HabsFansince49 says:

The average age of these professional athletes is not much higher than the average age of my college students. Further I was also a manager and expected the same work ethic that i adhered to. However, if i did not get it I didn’t punish my employees in the manner suggested here.  I know how the real world functions – thank you

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

16. Say Ash says:

Yeah, but he’d have to win the Dallas game.

17. punkster says:

Hey Ali, haven’t chatted with you on a thread in some time. How are you?

In regards to 49s statement he did say punishment, not teaching, in his comment. As to him being on a tear, well he seems to do that alot. Go on a tear then disappear. I would think management wants to see more consistency and adaptability. Maybe he just doesn’t fit this team.

***Subbang!!!***

18. badbalance says:

I almost hope we lose enough games for JM to get fired so we can get a more confident coach, this is looking like a repeat of Carbo era.. Line juggling, scapegoats..

19. adam76 says:

Canada club 12 year helps.

20. Omit says:

Since when is this a classroom in a school?  This is a highly paid professional athlete who must pay back his employer with the proper work ethic expected of him. Do you really think that the real world functions any other way?

21. Say Ash says:

Apart from Leblanc, who do we have in this Canada-Sweden game?

22. j2w4habs25 says:

they better win, dont want to watch them lose another one. Sometimes i dont know about JM

23. Miltie01 says:

Why am I suddenly worried now that Maguire is all over Leblanc at the Juniors like a fat kid on a doughnut ?

Is it just me, or does this bother anyone else ? Maybe it’s just me…….LOL

24. badbalance says:

If they won’t be able to score a goal and lose tonight, I blame JM for sitting AK.

25. mrhabby says:

” i don’t know” to quote AK.

26. j2w4habs25 says:

they better win tonight, gotta hold that top spot

27. DavidKB says:

Changed the channel at 1- 0 then back again expecting it to be worse, and what do you know…

Sigh…

28. adam76 says:

Price has played well this season

29. A. Berke says:

With all due respect to your opinion, what HFS49 was just saying that this type/method of teaching belonged in the 50’s and it’s the wrong approach now. I agree 100% with HFS49’s assessment.

Furthermore even though AK may be seen as “inconsistent”, IMO he was very consistent and on a tear until he was yanked away from Pleks/Cammi line in order to benefit G&G who were pretty dismal until then. Frankly I think Gomez is still under performing, although the addition of Max Pac to that line helped open up space for him.

Utilizing Moen, Lapierre, etc. on G&G line for about 30 games into the season goes to show how stubborn JM is (I’d qualify that more like lacking common sense actually).

Ali B.

30. habbyone says:

This is looking ugly and our boy Price needs a vacation.

31. New says:

Or you could wonder about benching. Is it punishment? I think if you believe that a fellow will only be out a game or two then brought back regardless of how the replacement plays, then yeah it is punishment. Motivation produces success and wins. I doubt punishment has a lasting effect.

However if it is a case of “We’re not winning with him not producing, so I will try someone else.” that is a different kettle of fish. I would like to think that Eller could carve himself a spot while AK isn’t a good enough fourth or third line player.  But if this is all a mind game then yeah, someone pulled a cuckoo’s Nest and ate a couple of the playing pieces.

32. MTLForever says:

Nah, FANS don’t stop watching. They go through the hard and best times.

33. 23 HABS 23 says:

It’s just you!  He should not be having to deal with break aways when the HABS are on the power play!!!  You probably think we should try and get Halak back … give your head a shake!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

34. badbalance says:

What kind of message is JM sending out? Well it’s simple “I will not bench any veterans even if they don’t score a single goal all season, instead I will bench the young players as the scapegoats, that should send a message to the whole team somehow”

Using AK as an example…. When we’re facing one of the top teams in the west. Sure lets play pyatt who has like 3 points instead of AK who is slumping, only becase he is getting moved around lines and hasn’t had a solid line for more than 1 game since he got broken up from Pleks and Cammy…

I say we trade our whole team for 20 pyatt’s, it will be a hardworking team, I bet we will score 10 goals a game with them..

35. MTLForever says:

just you, that should of never even happened and he does stop a lot

36. terrygain says:

Subban had success until he got the Ryan O’Byrne treatment.

37. 23 HABS 23 says:

Kimberly2u … I am with ya … I am investing 10:00 minutes into the 2nd period … then it is lights out … can’t stand watching this anymore!  I mean seriously … a shorthanded goal? Actually there were almost 2 on the same power play … GAWD AWFUL!

I guess I will have to take some more smack talk from the damn Leaf fans (living in Onatrio & being a HABS fan can really suck sometimes).

I think I will stop watching for a couple of weeks … maybe they will turn things around when I am not looking :)  Until then … I am OUT!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

38. terrygain says:

I agree completely. I wonder how many one on one conversations Martin has with players he thinks are not performing up to par.  Martin’s unnecessary benching of PK for 3 games has undermined his confidence. Martin’s refusal to give Pouliot a much deserved chance on the top 2 lines can’t be doing much for his confidence. Martin’s line combinations are bizarre. Travis Moen and Maxim Lapierre are useful role players. They are not first or second line players. So now Martin is sitting our most talented player, who started the season like a house on fire until he was yanked from the first line. I think AK’s likely played his last game in Montreal.

When his time in Montreal is finished (which can’t come soon enough for me) Jacques Martin will have an unenviable record of discarded players who couldn’t play for him going on to have much better records with other coaches ( who don’t use his dinosaur methods).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

39. WestHab says:

Its great coaching for the AHl that you are suggesting, I think. By now though if AK doesn’t play with intensity someone else deserves the spot. The team has lost 4 out of 5. I believe the coach needs to shake it up a bit. When Ak startred out this year his intesity was there. Max Pac has made it difficult for sleepy play by others.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

40. punkster says:

You can’t possibly believe all that crock you just wrote, can you? Do you expect the masses here to believe it, add their support to your comment and thereby validate this stuff? This is nothing but your imagination running wild. Best part is the last line.

***Subbang!!!***

41. scrowe21 says:

What did Kostitsyn just say on TSN? I missed it because my f**king phone rang the second he started talking.

42. ed lopaz says:

why can’t he play with Pleks and Cammy – seemed to be working fine until it was changed to jump start Gomez.

JM is on thin ice.

His moves do not build confidence.

His moves create an environment of fear in Habs youth.

Confidence is what develops young players into stars.

OB is a bright young man, and so is Max Pac.

They have both made it quite clear what they think of JM.

Others like Pk and Eller have kept their mouths shut – but they feel it. Just look at their faces on the bench.

Look at Pouliot’s expression on the bench as well.

There is no joy to play for this team.

43. AndyF says:

Excellent coaching strategy.   It’s the difficult, less-travelled road because it requires patience, planning and mostly, energy.   Very few coaches have the kind of zen it takes to be a true teacher.  It’s much easier to get angry and take out the stick.

Shame, that.

AndyF

44. WindsorHab-10 says:

Is it just me or does Price suck on breakaways?

45. punkster says:

OK, so my response to him aside, here’s my take on your view:

Give me a freakin’ break. Take hime aside? Like they did with Kovy? Mollycoddle him? The guy gets paid big freakin dollars to adhere to a system. You can’t follow the plan then hasta la vista baby. Enough with his play hard when I feel like it crap. Sit him until he shows signs of life. Then either trade him or play him.

But of course, I’m not gonna go and get all uptight about this ;)

***Subbang!!!***

46. MTLForever says:

Yeah Picard and him were better at the beginning but I think they shouldn’t play together right now

47. adam76 says:

only 1 and 9 when not getting the first goal.

48. Kimberly2u says:

I can’t watch any more of this…it’s too painful to watch…I don’t know what’s happened to them but they’ve lost what they use to have….I’d love for them to win this game but I have my doubts…they aren’t playing as a team anymore and benching Kostitsyn was a great move…going to have some beer and change the channel

49. punkster says:

Had this whole logical, reasoned comment typed out then hit the back button instead. So here it is in a nutshell:

- you’re the teacher so I bow to your experience

- however i believe it’s not punishment but rather an attempt to get AK to play the system

- he has shown on again, off again flashes of solid play but never anything consistent

- similar to the PK benching which I do not believe was punishment, simply a method of teaching…watch and learn then show us what you have learned

- the other alternative is that management has just simply given up on AK…but I doubt it…has to do with his inherent talents ans skills and trying to get him to both utilize those skills and play a solid defensive game

- whatever, just my thoughts

***Subbang!!!***

50. adam76 says:

Seems logical to me – D parings are important – just ask ryan oburne.

51. ed lopaz says:

totally agree with you Habs fansince 49.

been a fan since the early seventies myself.

here’s what needs to be done with a guy like AK – in my humble opinion.

1) take him aside, privately, and explain his role on the team

2) build his confidence by describing how important his production is to the team

3) place him with Cammy and Pleky and leave him there for 15-20 games – no matter what

4) promise a review every 5 games or so – here’s what we like, here’s what we don’t like

5) after 20 games, quarter season review, more detailed, more specific.

Funny how Ob was on the ice during the last minute vs Habs when we had the net empty.

I thought OB had played average at best – shaky, turnovers, lacking confidence

But Avs coach stuck with him – here’s what we expect – and we will keep playing you even if you do not at first succeed.

We believe in our young players here on HIO.

We support PK, we encourage Eller, we were calling for Max Pax to be called up.

Maybe JM needs to believe in the Habs youth as well.

It would immediately make us a better team.

To any one who has been a fan since ’49, I tip my hat to you with the respect you deserve.

Enjoy tonight’s game!!

52. habsfan12345 says:

why cant we pair subban with hal gill or roman hamrlik, subban had success being paired with a more stay-home type dman.

53. HabsFansince49 says:

I have been a teacher for most of my professional life.  Punishment by strapping and making students sit in the corner, sometimes kneeling on chalk (try that!) disappeared in the 60’s. Positive reinforcement seemed a better way to go. Tonight’s news about benching AK46 is a sad reflection on Jacques Martin and most NHL coaches who still live in the ’50’s.  JM – it doesn’t work! So soon AK46 like Ribero and O’Bryne (not Komisarek) will be traded off because they could not kneel on chalk in the corner.  JM like Ron Wilson is a dinosaur.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

54. Hoegarden says:

Hi Sherrie,

Can you send me your email. I have a couple of pics for you. Thanks. djlnl_69@yahoo.ca

55. DavidKB says:

waf fle 1 |ˈwäfəl; ˈwô-| informalverb [ intrans. ]fail to make up one’s mind : Brian had been waffling over a decision to fire his coach, or wait until he himself gets fired, thereby avoiding the embarrassment of having to sack his friend.

56. Mikey_39 says:

I don’t get why we bothered calling up Weber if we’re just going to sit him every game…He was having a great season in Hamilton and we call him up and he does a great job, but we sit him anyway? What’s the point?  I thought for sure that Picard would sit, he’s looked terrible the last couple of games.

57. Everlasting1 says:

The Blues did Habs a favor by cooling Atlanta’s jets tonight :-)

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

58. secretdragonfly says:

So, after reading all the posts today, I can safely assume Habs are dooooomed to lose tonight, so I won’t bother watching.  Thank you all you wagon-jumpers, I can use the time I save to wrap Christmas presents.

GO HABS GO.

59. MTLForever says:

this is ugly

60. BC HAB says:

Picard should also sit. Webber should play.  At least give it a chance.

61. tricolore says:

They’re playing like they did in February 2 seasons ago. Anyone remember that west coast road trip? Carbo took them bowling. LOL.

Sigh, I’m getting tired of Houde saying “quelle chance raté par le canadien, avec le filet desert…”

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

62. adam76 says:

what an embarrassment.

63. LA Loyalist says:

Hard to deke w pads on :)

64. 23 HABS 23 says:

Well, with this game in the loss column … I suggest that at the next practice Jacques Martin be placed in net … no helmet … shoot high … at least one clapper to the noggin might clear his head … it certainly can’t make things any worse!

Tonight … I HATE HOCKEY … but will support the HABS no matter what the outcome!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

65. Habnofear says:

Well the Habs could be the Stars farmteam…cus that`s how it looked !

66. samTHEman says:

On the bright side, Gomez has been playing absolutely great lately carrying the puck through the middle and setting up very well, tape to tape. Good for him. Why does Price get all these weird goals on him?

67. dre1744 says:

don’t the Habs always go thru a december slump!!!!!!

68. Barts says:

Way to teach me a lesson coach. Signed, A. Kostitsyn

69. dre1744 says:

I say put Andrei  back with PLeks and Cammy!!!!!!!  Eller is not readyMaybe Sit Bennies ass for a game or 2  cause hes been playing like crap lately

70. Kramby says:

Subban had a fight? How was it?

I missed the frist half of the game.

71. A. Berke says:

Do you think maybe because of the defence in front of him has been playing like $hite, not to mention all those turnovers that lead to odd man rushes or even deviated pucks by his own defence?

Ali B.

72. Caballero says:

Yup, that pretty much covers it.

73. MTLForever says:

Auld needs to get more games in but Price still hasn’t had one BAD game.

74. MTLForever says:

if he did not fall he would have wrecked sutherby

75. MTLForever says:

bad penalty call, that  was not interference and then that garbage goal..

76. Kramby says:

Can’t believe i missed it.

77. adam76 says:

not enough rye in this world to make this abortion of a game watchable.

78. 23 HABS 23 says:

You might want to try missing the 2nd half of the game too … this is just BRUTAL!  We’ll be out of a playoff spot by weeks end – sad really!  I mean even when we try to help (Gorges tried to block the point shot) it deflects and there is another Dallas goal on the board!  THIS SUCKS LARGE!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

79. adam76 says:

It was an embarrassment.  Went down faster then a loose girl on prom night,

80. MTLForever says:

Lost balance at beginning, happens. However, your “joke” was garbage :)

81. Kramby says:

Yeah that was pretty brutal. A lot of goals against us lately have been pretty bad. I don’t know if we aren’t lucky enough to get the bounce or if we aren’t working hard enough to get it.

82. Everlasting1 says:

That wasn’t happening much in the first 25 games or so.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

83. Laramy87 says:

Over the last 6 games, we have had ZERO luck. You need luck to win games.

For example, look at Dallas’ goals:

1st goal: was like a baseball swing, that must go in 1 outta 20 times

2nd goal: Price makes the save and the puck someone just rolls up his stick and into the net

3rd: whistle should have gone, Dallas D-man digs and somehow puck bounces out right to his stick

4th: Off Georges stick

ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Yes Darches goal was not a thing of beauty but common, this is frustrating. Cant fault Price and any of these goals, and tomorrow all we are going to here is Price 4 goals on 23 shots or soemthing like that, this is not PRices fault. Teams a no-show

84. MTLForever says:

agreed, we need lady luck asap

85. Kramby says:

lady luck would be great, but Georges should not have tried to block that one.

86. adam76 says:

Luck is how losers justify losing.  No such thing as luck.

87. slapshot777 says:

Talk about bad goals being scored on the Habs as of late and it has been like that through this losing skid. The defense mind you have been playing terrible. Picard seems to have run out of confidence, Spacek is colour blind, Hamrlik and Gill just seem out of gas and slow. Gorges is trying but is getting bounced around like a rag doll. Subban, right now is lost he seems hesitant. Making slow decisions is costing him. Without the defense playing some kind of system the offense wil be nil.

Seems like no one is playing with confidence. No one seems to want to play for each other, the speed is gone. This AK46 benching, does nothing. The play of the team is still the same. Benching one player will never accomplish anything if the rest of the team is sucking as well. All this is doing is showing AK46 that it is not only him who is not putting out. So no messsage is being sent, in my opnion.

88. SLONCOLD says:

it looks like he’s losing confidence in his D. been playing deep in his net and wondering our of his net and playing the puck too often. hard to blame him when u can’t trust your D to make teh right move/play

89. Laramy87 says:

Im not saying everyone win is luck, but you need some luck on your side….

If you say there is no such thing, what do you call Richards goal? He jsut turned and shot, the puck was going wide, hit Georges and goes in, thats luck for Richards and bad luck for Georges.

You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

90. MTLForever says:

Yup, certain bounces are luck.

91. MTLForever says:

no he should not have, bad decision on his part

92. Duracell3 says:

Very ugly fight for him, I’d chalk it up to nerves. Had he connected on either of his missed punches, either would have been the end of the fight.

93. adam76 says:

I have to save my A material.

94. COPOKA HA KOPOBE says:

I would consider AK46 to be lucky not participating in tonights loss.

95. Kramby says:

Wow, Stars have 4 goals on 12 shots. Not good.

96. MTLForever says:

and none of them were nice looking goals.

97. Ghosts of the Forum says:

We are watching a hybrid of a Jacques Martin coached offence and a Guy Carbonneau coached defense.

I’m going to be awfully hungover at work tomorrow because of this game.

But at least my scotch consistently shows up.

98. tricolore says:

5 losses in last 6…..ewww…looking ugly….

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

99. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Know what I’d like to see during a game like this?  Instead of benching people, how about a little innovation? A little thinking outside the box, finding answers. Accepting that something is bloody broken.  Throw Subban on the wing for a shift or something, I don’t know…but do bloody something!

100. MTLForever says:

can we hit the net?

101. Caballero says:

This team needs to regroup. Perhaps it was only a matter of time before the loss of Markov came to haunt us. With Gorges seeming hurt, we don’t have a truly solid defensive D man who can play a solid 25 minutes. This defense is old and slow, and they need help.

102. Laramy87 says:

So apparently you are allowed to skate right into the goalie, knock him over and then score a goal without a call….. well that doesn’t sound right.

5th goal should never been, goalie interference. One of those games

103. deuce6 says:

Price is coming back down to earth, our D blows, and our top 6 is too small to compete past November..This, my fellow habbers, is where the train stops..Until PG learns that this team needs another top pairing d-man and another top 6 scorer with size, we are going to continue in this current tail spin..

We have lost 5 of our last 6 (yes, including this one), and they are just not competing…

104. Laramy87 says:

No we cannot, its painful

105. jrshabs1 says:

Now that the genie is officially out of the bottle is there a plan B for the net? Price should have kept the stash… What is the deal with the Christmastime Habs?

Go Habs Go!!

106. MTLForever says:

Yes it’s definitely hitting us now with no Markov. Gorges is having a really off night.

107. MTLForever says:

Not giving Price much help at all, he can only do so much.

108. Caballero says:

I agree, AK needs help and support, a talking to, whatever. He is too talented and robust a player to sit. I am not sure you put Subban on the wing, in fact, I want JM to make players play to their strength, so D men should play their natural side, the three lines should be set in stone for several weeks and no player should have to switch his style so drastically that he is left doing something completely counter intuitive to him. Wishful thinking I guess.

109. MTLForever says:

you think at this level you could hit the net more, especially when you are in close

110. Caballero says:

Friends have noticed, perhaps you have as well, is Gorges playing injured? Or more injured than usual?

111. Bugs says:

I hate frikkin hockey. Who even watches this stupid game?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

112. Laramy87 says:

I agree we need help, but it is not Price’s fault. I bet 29 other goalies in this league dont stop 3 of the 5 that went in tonight.

He has still been making the saves. Two deflections one of his own d-man.

Now morrow wansts to fight, he has a friggen full shield on, now thats a pussy move

113. MTLForever says:

He definitely had an injury earlier and has continued to play so I am sure it’s still lingering big time.

114. MTLForever says:

i don’t care how bad we score, as long as we do. Good job Darche after a huge save by Price.

115. Everlasting1 says:

These Dallas commentators are blind, convinced Darche kicked the puck in when it went off a defender’s skate.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

116. deuce6 says:

Not blaming Price at all..Just think his game has come down a couple of notches since the start of the season, is all..I didn’t think he would be playing at that kind of level all season..Especially with this caliber of D in front of him…That was just an ugly game, all around..

117. Laramy87 says:

I bet you the Price bashers will be out in full force tonight espeically when ppl see 5 goals on 17 shots….

3 of them deflections, one by his own d-man, not many goalies can stop perfect deflections. 1 goal when the whsitle should have blown, but your allowed to dig after whistle apparently. Break-away he should have had.

Habs are a good team and should it early on. Every team goes through slumps, look at Washington. They jsut got off thier 8 game losing streak. We will come out of this, and it will happen on this road trip. We have Caroline and NYI next two games. Im hoping we take both of them, if not we have a good shot at least against NTY. The only way to get out of this to play out of it.

Im all for Spacek sitting and Weber playing

118. sholi2000.com says:

Horrible game!

No shots on net, and the chances we did get we never came close.  If you’re paid to score, put the puck in the Net!

They Call Me Shane

119. ctony says:

JM’s pre-game Lombardi-esque pep talk:

“Hey Cammi, Gomez, Gionta, Hamr, if you don’t perform guys like AK and PK with sit.  I’m not kidding Spatch.  The next time you screw up, PK is on the pine.  Gio miss an open net and AK is watching from the press box.  Gomer score less than 10 points in 30 games and Benny is going to move from line to line until you get going.  We lost some games recently when Carey couldn’t stop every shot so we need more offense.  Moen, Halpy, Laps get ready, you’re going in when we desperately need scoring.  Patches, sorry about F— you around last season.  You’re up with the big club for good.  But if Eller misses an assignment on a late game PK, then he’s got your spot on the top line.”

Ah, refreshingly insightful coaching by the managerial genius.

120. Habsone says:

That’s coaching at it’s best. :)

121. SmartDog says:

LOL

——-

122. mjames says:

I love the sense of humor. But if you read what Martin is saying you can make a case for what you are saying. I guess you have to keep it light when watching this guy coach.

PS: I am on the  Fire Martin bandwagon.

mjames

It is more likely than not that if (or is it when now) AK is traded he will turn into another John Leclair under his 4th coach… the only difference that coach won’t be… well… JM.

124. Tobiass says:

Give me a break, what about the other 2 coaches he played under? We only remeber the players we trade away and who do better elsewhere, and there aint that many. We dont rememebrer the players we trade away and they keep on sucking, because, well, they suck.

125. Exit716 says:

The only one that seems to understand Kostitsyn fairly well is Plekanec.

126. Bugs says:

Auld might’ve gone.

Has the flu though.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

127. jimmy shaker says:

JM should’ve got Auldy in there and about AK46 I don’t mind it so much but ultimately the lines need to be secure for about 4 games with no tinkering AT ALL and see how things go.

Cammy/Pleks/Eller

Patch/Gomer/Gio

Darche/Halpern/Pouliot

Moen/Pyatt/Ak46

Laps sits because he expendable at the moment.  I’d keep Pyatt over Laps because Pyatt is a better defensive player and plays the PK

Hammer/Subban

Gorges/Gill

Spatch/Weber

Give Picard a rest just because……..it’s a numbers game.

Price…..but Auld has to get some more games somehow.  He’s on pace for less than 8 games this year and that does nothing good for him, or Carey with that type of workload.

Shaker

128. HabFanSince72 says:

Komisarek?

Poor guy only had one offer. He wanted to play for the Rangers, Flyers or Bruins. They all laughed at him.

I mean you don’t think he chose Toronto do you?

129. _Habsoloutly_ says:

He wanted Toronto because it was his dream to be an Olympic athlete.  Burke is the GM of the US Olympic Hockey team, so he always wanted to go to Toronto.

130. HabFanSince72 says:

The NHL’s favourite franchise.

Still, we’re the last people who should complain about ballot stuffing.

131. christophor says:

We definitely can’t complain but at least our worst case was the Centennial Season, when it was almost understandable. Even then, Pitt. caught up in voting.

132. krob1000 says:

we should be rejoicing ballot box stuffing….it is what lead to Kovalev and Komisarek leaving town…their all star ballots drove their value up…whew!!! THANKS…

133. samTHEman says:

It is the end of the world guys. Fire JM, trade AK, kill PK (hes black). lolololol joookes. Trying to stay in a good mood after such a frustrating game. They had what 15 shots on net? We almost outshot them 2:1

134. mike g says:

AK benched…. Love it

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack
    I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

135. jimmy shaker says:

Ah I see, okay Price is a good alternative then.

Thanks

Shaker

136. SeriousFan09 says:

This was a crap game, no two ways about it, team once again failed to compete against a WC team, on a Western Road swing, I don’t know what is wrong with the Habs and why they do this, but they’re never going to be what they should be until they get over it.

You know what I look forward to though?

The experts tommorow telling us how the team can be fixed with one or two really easy moves.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

137. MTLForever says:

Hahaaha yup, like they always do! ‘easy’ moves

138. shiram says:

AK46 is in his contract year, and he is getting benched, you cant impress your boss ( or future new boss) on the bench, so hopefully it jump starts a fire under him, and soon. It’s an annoying move though, as maybe diminishing his time, or putting him on the 3rd or fourth line could have done it.

It’s annoying though as it weakens our whole lineup, Pyatt at center, Eller on the wing on the first line…

139. Bugs says:

National Post: leafers fed up with waffle-throwers.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

140. shiram says:

I suggest they win some home games, that should cure the waffle blues.
    But that was a fun read, their comments on it… its publicity for Eggo! that evil corporation and whatnot. hehehe

141. SmartDog says:

Thanks for you advice re. belles and balls.

About that Pleks quote.  I’d like to know what happens if he had to play with Gomez. ;)  But I think that on top of being a good team player Pleks is that uniquely honest kind of guy that of course will say the ‘right thing’ in interviews, but he won’t necessarily volunteer it unless it’s genuine.  I think saying he’s looking forward to playing with Eller is practically gushing.  I think he means it.  Could be he’s glad not to get stuck with Moen or an inconsistant Kostitsyn.

——-

142. Danno says:
    “Kellogg
    Canada is aware of some recent waffle activity at Toronto Maple Leaf
    hockey games,” he said. “We are not clear on the origin of this new
    tradition or its meaning and find it hard to believe that consumers
    would throw away the opportunity to enjoy delicious wholesome Eggo
    waffles.”

Read more: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/12/21/kellogg-denies-involvement-in-waffle-tossing/#ixzz18mqA4YIf

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

143. Tobiass says:

Where have been the past 5 years? AK does this every year, without fail. He has been under 3 coaches on this team he has done the same thing E-V-E-R-Y year. At some time or another, takes his foot of the gas and coasts. To say its JM’s fault is an absolute joke.

144. lenny says:

JM made the worst move when he broke up the AK46 Pleks and Cammy line. They were on fire.

Ever since PK was benched, his game and confidence has deteriorated.

I bet a private poll in the dressing room would yield a result that JM should be replaced

145. A. Berke says:

I guess now the whole team will sit the next game or maybe Georges and/or Spacek? Naaahh! Keep AK & PK being scratches, that helps them, their confidence and the confidence of the rest of the team as well.

Note to JM: Keep changing the lines, that keeps developing good chemistry, timing etc. etc.

Sorry folks for the rant but watching this game was definitely a lousy waste of my time and heaven knows what is my blood pressure reading is right now.

System shmystem! Instead Stars showed how to play a defensive game and win.

Ali B.

146. shiram says:

The plot thickens!

Well they are the Maple Leafs, and maple syrup is pretty damn good on waffles…

147. SmartDog says:

Waffles are a good source of flour and sugar.

——-

148. Danno says:

Waffle sounds an awful lot like awful………

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

149. Ghosts of the Forum says:

hahaha……I literally just copy and pasted that quote from the story and returned here to post it.  Beat me to it!

I cannot, cannot believe that is an actual quote, from an actual news story.

150. SmartDog says:

Or whiffle

——-

151. Danno says:

Wasting a wholesome Eggo® waffle on a team so awful should be unlawful.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

152. homerbowen says:

Early golf season I’m afraid. Team lacks heart and leadership. Too small, most are timid and larger players play like pussies.

153. Mikey_39 says:

The thing is that they’ve shown how good they can be, just like they’ve shown how bad they can be (players and coach included).  They just need some consistency, from the players and the coach.  JM freaks out from one mistake and juggles all the lines.  It’s not good for the development of rookies, nor is it good for the development of line chemistry.

154. GhostRider says:

Do you just copy and paste that comment after every loss?  I should start keeping a log to see if you at least use a thesarus to spice things up.

155. Everlasting1 says:

It was one of those games where by looking at the SOG hardly tells the tale. Outplayed, outhustled by a team who have well established clicking lines. The Habs’ D looked as discombobulated as the Blues of late lol. Price didn’t stand much of a chance on some of those.

This game was definitely a wake-up call..to JM.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

156. A. Berke says:

Looks like all the Halakistas are coming out of the woods to start bashing Price again.

Earth to them: Helllooo! your favourite goalie is gone and not coming back no matter how much you try to crap on Price (and NO you weren’t right when you thought that the team should have kept Halak instead of Price).

Besides blaming Price for the loss goes to show that either: a) you’re clueless about hockey or b) you’re too poisoned with your love to the former goalie.

I suggest you get used to it or go and blog @ Blues website/blog. You can still claim that you’re an “undying Habs fan” if you wish but most of the rest of us, we frankly had enough of your distorted views and rants.

Thank you (and don’t bother to reply to me or insult me as most of you tend to do, because I’m not going to waste my time by reading your inane comments)

Ali B.

157. Storm Man says:

Look way up…………… Looks like the sky is falling here at HIO.

158. SLONCOLD says:

no need to worry the habs have been playing great over the last 6 games…

159. olematelot says:

your avatar says it all

160. Seps says:

I don’t think you need to look that far up, the sky is closer than you think.

161. Seps says:

My lineup:

Gionta-Gomez-Pac

Cammy-Pleks-Eller/AK46

PHD

Moen/White-Lappy-Eller/Moen

Gorges-Subban

Gill-Picard

Spacek-Weber

Price

162. mbplekfan says:

For me this year was about developing the young players and the rookies. Our defence is suspect and is a patchwork of one dimensional, aging players.

We got off to a good start and showed some potential but with Markov out for the season, just making the playoffs is back on the table.

Eller, Pouliot, Pacioretty, Price and Weber need ice time without punishment and Martin has to start setting up for next year.

Next year we can retool the defence. Hammer’s contract is up, Gill’s contract is up, and Spacek could hopefully be dealt at the deadline. We need to get younger and better offensively. Gorges can hopefully be signed for cheap as he brings no offense and is in fact one dimensional.

There isnt any help from the system unless Emelin comes over so the new faces will have to come from trades or the free agent market.

163. rocketsglare says:

Slumps happen to all teams and the Habs are in one right now. But, how they come out of their current slump will tell

volumes about the leadership and character on this team. How they come out against Carolina on Thursday night will

tell us about this team’s resolve to get back on track. This roadie will say much about the team’s growth and develop-

ment not only now, but more importantly, later in the season. It’s up to this team whether the slide continues or not.

164. jrshabs1 says:

12 saves and a .705 save %… I guess we will have to file that under “chillax” Also, and I posted the same thing lastweek and was called a redneck by one of my soft Hab brothers… the Habs are small and weak and have no team toughness so unless they are firing on all cylinders and flying up and down the ice it could get ugly. Lastnight was ugly. JM’s no toughguy rule is stupid and counter productive so he either needs to change or the organization needs to move in another direction because it is quite clear the league has figured out the Habs system. And for the record I couldn’t care less if you don’t agree with my redneck  assesment!

Go Habs Go!!

165. MTLForever says:

12 saves and .705 doesn’t show what happened in the game.

IF you saw the goals and watched the entire game, you would know that.

166. HabFanSince72 says:

I thought from day one that Marky’s injury would hurt us, and it is. No offence from the back. Deficient powerplay (I mean – Gorges and Picard on the PP?), the Bouncing Czechs overworked and ineffective.

167. Top Corner says:

Well , anyone who says the HABS are “weak” , “small”,  “no toughness”, needs to take a harder look at this team.  Its not that you give a redneck assesment, your a die hard fan like me and everyone on here , but why give this same old speech just after a loss…..

For a few seasons we literally had the toughest fighter in the NHL (soon turned a tofu lemon but…) for a while we had BGL.  And what happens , is no one wanted to fight him….ever.  And when he was on the ice , they would dance around him and score on us.

This assumption that tough guys win championships is BS !!!!  Isnt quite working out for the newly toughened laffs , or the roughest team in the east who choked out last year vs. Chicago in the finals.  You CAN’T kick and punch your way to a cup….it takes BRAINS over brawn.  And i take pride in laughing at binnoculars burke’s plan blow up in his face….waffles anyone???….top of the morning to yahs!!!

Go HABS Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

168. CanadienBoy says:

Those dallas players look like giant on tv last night

169. Duracell3 says:

Spacek is brutal, Hammer is just really tired, old, and slow, especially when he’s tired. Did I mention they look tired.

170. Duracell3 says:

I have to seriously question the 12 shots number, the 3rd goal alone was on the 3rd or 4th rebound. Most of the goals Price had no chance, he had 2-3 very big saves as well.

171. terrygain says:

As the Dallas colour guy noted last night Picard has a knack for keeping the puck in the zone. He’s a good passer and he has a good low shot.  You were wrong about O’Byrne so at least you’re consistent.

172. Julie H says:

I think the time change and starting games after 7 or 7:30pm is affecting us as well as being tired.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

173. J Haul says:

Too much common sense involved here man. Coach will never approve. Juggle those lines!

174. volcano62 says:

We are starting to see the Carey Price of the last 2 seasons. Let’s play Auld abit more before things start getting uglier.

175. volcano62 says:

who cares if they are tired….they are paid millions to win.

176. Habscat says:

I didn’t see the game last but from what I am reading from my fellow Habs fans, its cementing the points of contention that I have with this team.

#1. JM is a terrible coach in this day in age. Hell Scotty Bowman even said that his own style was now in the past. Young, fresh minded coaches is where the success in the NHL is coming from. Dinosaurs like Wilson, Quinn, and Martin should be faded out.

#2. Picard and his +/- rating are severly over-rated. I think that he is horrible (I always have) and he makes Subban look even worse because of his own poor decision making and getting caught pinching at the wrong times. Put PK with Hamrlik and leave him alone. Put Weber with Spacek. (Spacek is brutal, but he is better than Picard).

#3. When a line is working or has worked, keep them together. Pleks/Cammy/AK46 should have never been split in the first place.

#4. I am not stating anything that I don’t always state so I am not throwing these guys under the bus after a few loses. But, I do agree with many of the other fans and believe that we need to bring in a guy like Langenbrunner, Arnott, Cole, Clowe, Penner, etc. A big body with a bit of touch that will clog up the crease/slot.

177. Habnofear says:

That’s one big,fast,strong,smart ,talented and well rounded team …they will be in the finals!

178. COPOKA HA KOPOBE says:

Also I want to add that they look tired.

179. COPOKA HA KOPOBE says:

Go Alex! Go!

180. Mikey_39 says:

Well for one, sitting AK was a huge mistake.  I knew it before the game, and I definitely know it now.  The guy is the third leading scorer on the team, is a plus nine, and has good chemistry with Plecky and Cammalleri.  Granted, many nights he looks like he doesn’t care.  He just goes through the motions.  On other nights he can beat a team by himself.  You have to accept this fact if you want him on your team.  But you can’t sit him.  He’s too talented of a player.  If JM has a problem with his work habits then trade him because sitting him is a waste.  You won’t teach him a lesson and the team is not better off with Pyatt in the line-up.

Next game, you have to play Weber.  I can’t see JM not playing him.  He was brought up, played well and now he’s constantly benched. I don’t get it.  I would take out Picard next game.  And I would place Subban and Webber with Spacek and Hamerlik…they look old out there and playing with a young guy might be just what they need.

181. Jonson says:

i agree totally. AK has always been a streaky player, he may not score for nine games but he may score 11 in 12 ( last year before his injury in florida) . You just have play him through these bad stretches. And he isnt the only one struggling but seems to always be the first to get punished. I know nobody has said anything about the play of pleks, makes sense he is a amazing, but he has been struggling too. they just need to keep the guys in and let them get out it.  Good to see Gomez skating again i hope he keeps it up. ANyways the next few games SHOULD be a little easier, so hopefully they can get some wins to pick up the confidence.

182. HabFanSince72 says:

sitting AK was a huge mistake.

He was demoted to the 4th line and still didn’t wake up from his coma. At some point you have to do something.

Besides, 4 goals on something like 15 shots? How would AK46 have prevented that?

183. observer says:

Question? When can teams start trading again?

184. shootdapuck says:

Same time as the last of the leftover turkey is eaten.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

185. LA Loyalist says:

JM was supposed to be the answer to a string of rookie coaches.

186. habs365 says:

Dallas showed the Habs how to forecheck…play defence…and score tonight…lehtonen was also great…on the other hand the Habs played poorly on defence and offence… only managed to score one goal…the results wasn’t price’s fault…I would say the team is disgrunteled…wonder why?

187. MTLForever says:

He changes up the offensive lines but not defensive pairings much. Get Picard away from Subban. Maybe sit Picard next game, get Weber in there. Do not sit AK ever again and if you do, then trade him because there is no reason this guy should sit. What does Martin expect from AK when you play him on the 3rd and 4th line? Bring back the Cammy Plek AK line. Gomez, Giontar and Patchy line is working. LET ME SEE THE PhD LINE!? THAT WORKED TOO. Come on JM. How blind are you?

188. Seps says:

Everyone seems to blame JM with whom I don’t disagree, but Gionta has the “C” where has he been?  He’s got to add some spark, show some leadership out there. From what I’ve seen Gionta is no captain and from what you can see out there, the only person who shows up night-in night-out is Gorges.  He is the closest thing to a captain we have on the team right now.

189. SLONCOLD says:

we don’t get to see and hear what gionta says/does in the room. i think we would like to have more offensive output from all of our players including gionta. however his lack of production doesn’t make him a bad captain in my eyes

190. Seps says:

True, but when I see him out on the ice I don’t see him as a captain.  You have to be a captain on and off the ice and when you see Mike Richards out there you know he’s going to go balls out and do whatever it takes to get his team the win, I just don’t see that from Gionta and when your team is playing like the Habs are you need a captain who’s going to bring the morale up, which hasn’t happened yet.

191. MTLForever says:

I definitely saw it night in and out from Koivu. Gionta needs to come out every game, just like everyone else and put it all out on the ice. He just needs to show he IS the captain for a reason and we haven’t seen it much yet

192. terrygain says:

In a period with little good news Picard showed amazing hand-eye coordination to keep the puck in with about 2 minutes to go. It led to a great scoring chance by Pacioretty. It was very obvious on a big screen TV. I wonder if SeriousFan09  was able to see it watching the game on his computer?

193. MTLForever says:

Had bunch of chances at the end there, need to score early in the 2nd.

Missing AK’s size and such out there. Someone save our powerplay please?

194. tricolore says:

Denis and Bouchard on RDS couldn’t be more right. If Price does not play stellar, or above expectations, his team has less of a chance to win. He’s made the difference in at least 5 to 7 games this year to secure the ‘W’. Tonight, he is ‘normal’, hence, do not expect miracles…

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

195. Laramy87 says:

*rolls eyes* another slow start. Lets hope the momentum we gained at the end of the first will carry onto the second

196. MTLForever says:

Help him out there guys…he thought he had it

197. MTLForever says:

Carolina thursday, Islanders sunday..

198. mike g says:

Once again, this team can only win if Price makes miracles….absolutely no punch on attack. Its really sad to watch….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

199. MTLForever says:

Made a huge save there but the guys need to help him out at the other end!

200. Euro Habs says:

PK Subbang stroke twice this week!

NHL.com Hits of the Week: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=17&id=88332

201. christophor says:

There’s some ballot box stuffing going on. Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury’s catching Price.

202. adam76 says:

5 out of 6 – only those with rose coloured glasses are not worried.

203. 134 says:

31 starts for #31. It’s gonna be a good night :)

204. 23 HABS 23 says:

Chalk this up as another BRUTAL loss. 3rd goal by the Stars was definitely preventable … clear the opposition from the front of the net and don’t let them just poke & jam away at Price – he had the puck … butthe Stars were allowed to dig for it while the Canadiens just stood there and watched – Disgusting!

I am done watching for tonight … if I were to endure the rest of this game … I would have a hard time getting to sleep & I need my sleep as I have to work in the AM (05:30).

Maybe Martin should stop changing the players and start changing his aproach to the game and maybe alter his game plan … tweek his system and stop wreaking havok with the players!

**Thoughts anyone?**

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

205. LA Loyalist says:

Darn good thing Martin sat ak46 and weber. Boy is he smart. We’d be losing 3-0 if those losers were playing. Wait-! Crap! We ARE losing 3-0…
    Glad they were so well prepared for this 7 game road trip.

Too small, too soft, too intangible.

206. Bugs says:

Jack Marty on his treatment of young talent.

It’s like a guy givin directions pointin both ways, ferpetessakes.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

207. ctony says:

I’m on the same bandwagon.  But he’s not going anywhere.