Game 32: Canadiens whip Leafs, end home skid

Updated on Sunday with links to Red Fisher’s game story. Updated with dressing-room audio

Linesman Vaughn Rody jokes with Canadiens’ Sergei Kostitsyn after the two collided along the boards.
John Mahoney, Gazette

Koivu | Higgins 1 | Higgins 2 | Price | Carbonneau News Conference

Lineups | Preview | Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog

On Friday, Canadiens captain Saku Koivu was discussing his personal drought, not having scored since Nov. 17 – coincidentally, the last time his team had won at home.

“I’ve been in this situation before and I’m hoping there’s a solution,” Koivu said philosophically. “Hopefully (tonight) we can talk about my goal.”

As he wishes, then.

Koivu scored his sixth and seventh goals of the season, with Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Kovalev scoring singles, to pace the Canadiens to a strong, start-to-finish 4-1 victory over the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs.

Habs goaltender Carey Price made 28 saves, losing the bid for his first NHL shutout with 4:06 to play. It was the 20-year-old’s third consecutive victory over Toronto this season.

The Canadiens, 16-11-5, put an end to a six-game Bell Centre winless streak, one that was a single game from tying the club record set seven years ago. The Leafs, 4-0 winners in Atlanta last night, couldn’t solve the Canadiens at either end of the ice, losing for just the fourth time in their last 11 games.

Koivu put the Canadiens on the scoresheet at 9:03 of the first period on the Habs’ fourth shot, whipping a backhand from 20 feet beside Leafs goalie Vesa Toskala’s crease into a maze in front that wound up in the Toronto goal off Leaf defenceman Hal Gill’s skate. Koivu’s sixth goal of the season gave Sergei Kostitsyn an assist, his first career NHL point, with another helper going to Christopher Higgins.

Drought? What drought? Koivu scored his second of the night at 3:09 of the second period, and there was nothing fluky about this one. Higgins snapped in a gorgeous pass from behind the Toronto faceoff circle, and Koivu, having slipped in behind the Toronto defence, cradled the puck then deked around Toskala, sliding the puck in. Defenceman Francis Bouillon also picked up an assist.

The Canadiens went up 3-0 at 10:17 on a hit-me deflection off the body of Andrei Kostitsyn. The play was started by Kovalev, who showed great puck sense in waiting to find the avenue for a pass from near the boards back to Mike Komisarek. The defenceman’s wrist shot from just inside the blue line banked in off Kostitsyn for the Russian’s sixth goal of the season.

Kovalev then scored the Canadiens’ fourth and his 14th of the year, having his rebound bounce past Toskala off defenceman Tomas Kaberle’s skate at 8:32 of the third.

The Leafs’ Boyd Devereaux spoiled the party, at least a little, his knuckleball seeming to deflect off defenceman Roman Hamrlik’s stick and past Price at 15:54. Listen to how Price describes it.

Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe left the game with a broken left wrist in the third period after an awkward hit into the boards from Andrei Kostitsyn. The wrist, which is broken in three places, will force McCabe to miss the next six to eight weeks, according to team officials.

In five games against Toronto this season, the Canadiens have won in regulation, overtime and a shootout, the Leafs winning in regulation and overtime.

Montreal is home to the Florida Panthers on Tuesday before setting off on a holiday-spanning six-game road trip.

1. KamiDave says:

Well said. “We used to be such a classy crowd, greeting bad losses with stony silences, early exits from the forum, maybe a smattering of “niaiseux… niaiseux…” wafting down from the rafters. Now we bray, as if that has ever helped a team win. Booing the home team is just plain dumb.” I agree with you 100%.

2. Chorske says:

LOL, and amen to Montreal being the rowdy place it is. Heck, tonight the best red light district in town was right behind Vesa Toskala.

Look, I like a rough game and a good fight and I don’t go to the opera and I don’t want the Bell Centre to be a library. And I hate light beer and I’ve eaten seal and whale. My chest is hairy and my pencil is fully leaded. But MY game don’t include shitting where I eat, or kicking a guy when he’s down. If the team sucks, fine, boo. But to boo your OWN guy every time he touches the puck is unhealthy. More to the point, many believe (myself included) that it is tipping the scales against us when we try to sign free agents- who wants to play in an atmosphere where the home crowd is often more vicious with its own players than with the visiting team’s?

3. Chorske says:

Um, sorry but no. There is simply walking out of the game and not going back. There is not buying merch. There is calling in on the radio or writing to the paper and bitching. As fans we have a million ways to show our displeasure.

If you get bad service, you dont buy the product or you dont leave a tip. That’s the classy thing to do. if you don’t like the product, don’t watch it. Hit Gillette in his wallet by not buying merch and I guarantee a way quicker turnaround than if people boo. Heck, he may trade the whole team for Getzlaf and Perry!! And Kopitar. 😉

4. JA says:

Right on Smart Dog, way to go.

5. carmine007 says:

Dude I totally agree!

I don’t care how much you paid for your tickets. Booing is moronic. And it is costing us.

Tonights game started with a BIG standing ovation and it HELPED!

I’ve been to only a handfull of games at the BELL CENTRE and it would drive me up the wall when some fans would BOO instead of just being quite!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

6. Sulemaan says:

Because Greg Millen is a Leafs booster and bitter about his days as a Nordique when the Habs would regularly shell 5 goals past him and he would get pulled…

7. Corio says:

Looked great tonight! Too bad they couldn’t give Price the shutout but I’ll get over it! 😉

Grats Koivu on breaking your dry spell!

8. habsfan reduxit says:

… everyone in the whole world of hockey knows you don’t mention a shutout before it becomes official, So why in the world would CBC allow someone as insignificant as Greg Millen make an on-air reference to Carey’s chance when there was still five minutes left in the game?

9. Smart Dog says:

I would like to humbly point out the prediction I made earlier today. They don’t call me “Smart Dog” for nothing.

>My prediction: tonight’s game will go as Price goes. Our >team has the will to win back and they have the firepower >up front to find their way through the slow Leaf D. If >Price can stone Sundin and co. through half the game, the >team will pick up energy and find the holes.

>Let’s say 4-1 Habs.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

10. Sulemaan says:

i laughed when i read that comment cournoyer 12. dont’ let your wife see that comment…

11. Sulemaan says:

Who let the dogs out? (That is just for you Smart Dog…)

12. Smart Dog says:

Well this is a whole different Canadiens team. Hard to believe this same team got killed over and over in November. How fired up can you get – that flurry in the second was WICKED!! Playoff-style hockey!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

13. Rocket Richard says:

OK BOYS,

So far the habs are playing a full 40 minutes out of 40. Need to play the last 20 minutes without letup.

Up by 3 goals at home against the Leafs(when has this happened of late?)

From, my last post, I sound like a genius, all except Ryder scoring.

I would LOVE to see Price get the shutout tonight. It will be his 1st in his career.

Let’s see what happens in the 3rd.

Signing Out,

The Rocket Richard – “you must hate to lose”
    Read and Research Thousands of Articles Here

14. LTHF says:

Can you believe the call on Koivu after letting the one on Ryder going in on goal go, and then another on Lapierre,guess the Habs will have to grin and bear it

15. Renegade says:

Not just you, I’ve been shaking my head all game trying to figure out why there are so many calls not being made.

16. Canus says:

is it just me, or is this incredible with what they are
    getting away with. i could have already called about 10 penalties
    against the laffs

17. Canus says:

goto, then click on sports, you can watch the game there. and, the quality is excellent

18. Canus says:

Oh, the habs are playing the laffs
    i thought i should have already seen
    two call that should “HAVE” been called
    by the refs on the laffs.

19. Blitzen says:

I tried through but that goes through sopcast as well.

20. Sulemaan says:

Hey Razrback. Just go to and you cna watch the game online without a problem. There is a banner on the homepage that you click on. If you don’t like the announcer (Bob Cole) you can mute the soundand listen to CJAD at the same time.

On a sidenote, I’m concerned that Kerry Fraser is one of the referees. I can’t stand him since he’s a major primma donna…

21. Sulemaan says:

I don’t disagree that booing the team can be negative and makes things worse. However, I remember that even during the 70s when the team was winning the fans would boo players such as Peter Mahovlich and Pierre Larouche so that behaviour isn’t only limited to the current era.

I think if the team doesn’t put out the right effort then they should be booed. I don’t think the team should be booed (or Ryder) so long as they put the effort in – win, lose or draw.

Sorry but when fans shell out hundreds of dollars to see the team play for one game and the team plays like crap – then what do you expect? And if the players are honest about it (like Higgins was a few games ago) they will say the fans were perfectly right to do it.

I do agree that targeting individual players is wrong. It seems like bullying. But the team as a whole? If they play like crap (i.e. don’t give 110% regardless of the final result) then boo away in my opinion.

These guys have a God-given skill and are paid handsomely to play hockey. What some of us make in a lifetime is what they make in a year. They drive fancy cars, send their kids to fancy schools and live in expensive neighbourhoods. I don’t fault them for that but the least they can do is show-up. It’s not like the 50’s and 60’s when players like Richard and Harvey lived and worked like the rest of us fans.

So I guess I’ll agree to disagree with you on that point my friend.

22. Renegade says:

I predicted the opposite, not cause I dislike the Habs, but because I’m going with the numbers: In the past 7 games, Montreal has been victorious twice. These victories occurred when Ryder wasn’t in the lineup.

Since Ryder is playing tonight, the choice should be obvious.

23. earl says:

Sorry guys, this is sports, not opera.

Booing is as valid an expression in sports as ovations, singing, chanting, whistling, and taunting the opposition.

You want to be in a library go to the library.

You want to be in a morgue, move to Florida and visit their teams.

This is Montreal, home to the Habs, live adult entertainment, smoked meat, life to all hours of the morning, and booing when it’s needed.

Let’s not get too judgemental. Otherwise we’ll be watching hockey in beer free, fat free, fun free, sterile hockey rinks where the only role the fan plays is to boost the self esteems of indifferent multi-millionaires.

that aint my game.

24. Renegade says:

We aren’t paid millions of dollars. They are.

Boo if you like, cheer if you like. They get paid enough money, plus they are ENTERTAINERS. We pay good money to see a show, not to see a regular person do their job. If an entertainer is bad, such as a bad singer or a bad band, do you cheer and hope for the best for them? Give me a break.

Booing is an expression of the fans, as is cheering. With every good there is a bad, that is the way of life. In order to receive a positive reaction, there must be a positive action in its place.

25. earl says:

No offense Chorske but I think that’s largely nonsense.

Expression by the fans, whether it be a standing ovation, a rendition of Ole Ole, a booing of the home team’s power play, or a crowd ambushing of Sidney Crosby as he carries the puck, is what makes Montreal different from the sitting-on-hands arenas of almost every other NHL city.

And I don’t for one second believe that players are negatively distracted by this at least not in any long lasting manner, but are more inclined to reflect at the moment on the public opinion of their performance, to subsequently make personal decisions about what they are prepared to do about it.

It’s not coincidence that the teams that over time have been most consistently competing for championships, in North America the Yankees and Canadiens, have fan bases that from both inside and out are considered the most demanding and at times the most boorish.

It’s part of the character of the club.

BTW I have never booed at a sporting event, but I still think it’s a traditional and valid expression of sporting fan displeasure.

26. Moey says:

You are absolutely right, I have been arguing this point since last spring, it doesn’t help it hurts them more and it shows no class. I don’t care what the media here says, just because someone is a sportswriter doesn
    ‘t make them more intelligent or right.

Chorske, we’re a breed apart, a small minority and that suits me just fine.

27. Gilles Poisson says:

28. The Teacher says:

Bye-Byeeeeeeee Breeeeeeezzzeeeerrrrrrr

29. The Teacher says:

Next year Komisarek will be making 1.7 or 1.9 million. Thank you.

30. The Teacher says:

Hey Dave,

Will it still be there for Thursday against Washington?

31. The Teacher says:

Asking if he has a dislike for Newfoundlanders is uncalled for and unnecessary. Sounds like you’re just trying to stir the pot, which all of us can do without.

Thank you.

32. RH says:

I turned on the tube for a bit, earlier, while I was feeding my kid and noticed that there’s a CBCHD2 channel now, on Bell. It’s Hockey Night in Ontario though so, it’ll most likely be all Sens’ games. Too bad. Habs fans across Canada, who don’t, or can’t get RDS because of their local cable company, won’t get to see there beloved, once again.

33. nightmare_49 says:

Since when is a two four called groceries , Ian , went for groceries at a Brewer’s Retail. Your not driving the bus tomorrow and probably not Monday so enjoy , enjoy the shoveling. lol.

34. saku11 says:

It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa boo Daryl Strawberry. Lisa says “They’re used to it, they just brush it off.” Then it pans to a close-up of Daryl Strawberry as he brushes away a tear. I love that episode.

35. Roy-Rules says:

Another point for all boo-birds. Most of you get paid handsomly to do their own respective jobs, how would you feel if your peers or colleagues booed you for making a mistake. Those of you who do not have jobs, thats all I gotta say.

36. showey47 says:

I also agree with the booing, totally classless and i’m sure it is very demoralizing to the players. It also gives the rest of the hab fans a bad name. So stop booing we are not laff fans.

37. A. Berke says:

I agree completely with you on booing. It’s lame, counterproductive, demoralizing to the players and CLASSLESS.

Yes the players are paid handsomely and sometimes some of them do not perform well. Sometime this unproductiveness appear to last forever (Ryder comes to mind). In any case there shouldn’t be any booing. Booing doesn’t express a better knowledge of the game but stupidity, meanness and lack of class.

The spectators, if they don’t like the play of the team, they may quit watching and leave (that way they’ll beat the traffic as well). Or watch the game in silence.

On the other hand, each and every fan, should they choose to do so, they have a right to criticise the team or individual players (as long as it is within the boundaries of fairness and decency).

Ali B.

38. RH says:

I blame Philly fans for spreading that virus, personally. I mean, didn’t they boo Santa Clause in the sixties, or seventies or something to that effect? Not only do we boo them, according to Boones blog last Sunday, we’re blaming them for letting down the sick and terminally ill children at the hospitals too. However, I will say this. I think these guys have a lot thicker skin than we give them credit for.

On another note, I am not looking forward to tonights game. The leafs seemed to have rebounded from there slump and are playing very strong defensively. That, combined with there potent offensive attack and I hope the Habs are ready for a huge battle.

39. Chorske says:

Alright, this has been brewing for a while. Ryder’s playing tonight, so the timing is good. Thanks to Krob1000 for the encouragement. 😉

A plea against booing:

I’ve heard the argument that fans who fork over hundreds of bucks to see a hockey game have somehow acquired the right to express their frustration over a poor performance by booing. Most recently I was disappointed to hear that opinion supported right here on last week’s puckcast.

First off, I think booing your own team is counterproductive and lame. What is the point? From what I can see, booing only makes the home team more tentative and anxious, which of course is completely counterproductive. It doesn’t matter that these are professional athletes who are paid handsomely to play a game. They are young men who, to a man, HATE losing. They know when they suck, they certainly don’t need 21,000 so-called fans braying stupidly to remind them of it. The commentator on the puckcast said that Montreal fans boo because they are sophisticated in their knowledge of hockey- what nonsense! We used to be such a classy crowd, greeting bad losses with stony silences, early exits from the forum, maybe a smattering of “niaiseux… niaiseux…” wafting down from the rafters. Now we bray, as if that has ever helped a team win. Booing the home team is just plain dumb. Heck, I even think booing the visiting team is classless and lame.

Second, the targeting of individual players with consistent booing is unutterably shitty, as I’ve said before. It shows how vindictive, nasty and mean-spirited many of the fans have become. This fickle mob-mentality meanness is costing us big time. Free agents refuse to sign with us largely because, while we are gloriously supportive in victory, we are a proven rabble of fickle, thankless louts in times of struggle. And now we have Ryder, a consistent 25+ goal scorer, playing so tentatively that he’s been relegated to the press box, when he’s been a proven go-to guy on our first line who helped Koivu to a CAREER year last year. We reduced Brisebois to a mental case two seasons ago, and may do so again. We’ve run so many quality guys out of this town- Leclair, Recchi, Schneider, Chelios… It was the fans’ braying that so infuriated St Patrick that he gave Montreal two middle fingers and asked Ronald Corey for a trade. heck, I even remember people booing Robinson- ROBINSON!!- in the final days of his career as a player.

40. Ed says:

Dave, your ace tech Dru is correct. I was using someone else’s computer yesterday, & they only have Internet Explorer. It was the first time that I got to see exactly what Ian was talking about. I downloaded Firefox, & presto, the problem with the pictures was solved.

41. Ed says:

I like where you point out that Detroit stood by Delvecchio. This has not been the case for Ryder, as evidenced early in the year where Montreal had three 5 on 3’s in 2 consecutive games, but Carbonneau had Ryder sitting on the bench. That would have been a great time for him to get some confidence, as the PP has been his bread & butter since he entered the league. Also, his slump was not as serious then, but Carbonneau’s action only helped to ensure it continued. After that, his PP time continued to decline, he was hardly ever used in 3rd periods, & then was demoted, & finally benched.

The thing I don’t like about the benchings is that they have been for road games. Carbonneau has continued to use him at the Bell Centre where Ryder is constantly booed. I hope for Ryder’s sake that he does not play tonight, and that he is traded soon. This is too much of a distraction for everyone.

Montreal won’t get much in return as they have done everything to decrease his trade value. If they don’t trade him, he will definitely leave after the season.

42. Dave Stubbs says:

Ian, our ace tech Dru says the problem seems to be a bug in the latest version of Internet Explorer, and that he was hoping to find some way around it (presumably he has?). He suggests using Firefox as a browser if you continue to have the problem.

And it’s freaking cold in Montreal today, too. Just in time for the 30 cm of snow expected tomorrow. Which still will be on the ground to welcome the FLORIDA Panthers on Tuesday!

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

Dave Stubbs__ I got your picture in full today. Thanks

Just came back with groceries, It is bloody cold out there today. Think I’ll stay put and read all of the posts and get warmed up for this one tonight. We will have to be on top of our game. The leafs look like they enjoy playing right now. Last night they seemed to have good balance between there defensive and offensive game. I only hope we do also. IAN

44. Matt. says:

Locke has to clear waivers right? So why not risk bringing him up, and place Brisebois or/and Smoks on waivers? That way we can have Begin, Locke & Ryder in the pressbox. (That is one talented pressbox). If anymore D-men get injured, you can just move Streit or Dandenault back and insert any of the prior mentioned in. I like it. You’ve got a right wing, a left wing, and a center. You have one player who’s desperate to get back in the line up (Ryder), one who wants to crack the lineup for the first time (Locke), and you’re energizer bunny (Begin)… It’s all hypothetical and there really is no basis for any of it, but hey, since we’re calling up kids…

45. linp says:

Everyone was at fault. We were too impatient at the start. Carbo, the media and the fan were singling him out while the rest of the team played well at that time. No one realized that Ryder can play his best when he is not in the spot light. He is not a team leader. He is a support player who can snipe. Once he is under the gun, his game gets worse.
    I believe the only solution now is to have Bob come out and defend Ryder in the public and we should all stop criticizing him for a while. As for Ryder, he should tell the media that he’ll try his best to find his game.

Interesting news this morning about the possible formation of a rival league to the NHL that would be based in Europe. Larionov and Goodenow are part of the start up group. If it ever really got rolling it could play havoc with the stream of European talent to the NHL and the salary cap. It would obviously also impact the yearly draft and the ability to sign young players. Right now it’s just a concept not a reality but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

The Original 24 Cups

This Ryder situation is really becoming a soap opera and the blame has to go to Gainey and Carbo. You can criticize and analyze Ryder all you want but basically he is a guy who has lost his touch and can only get it back again by playing both with good linemates and on the powerplay. We have taken a valuable asset that we were going to be able to trade at the deadline (possibly for another Pacioretty) and turned him into dust.
    Many years ago there was a great Red Wing player named Alex Delvecchio. He centred Gordie Howe and was always in the top 25 scorers. Then one year he stoped scoring entirely. In fact, by the mid point of the season he hadn’t scored any goals, Zero. Zip. It was like a spell had been cast upon him. Detroit stood by him and eventually he scored and once he did he was back to his old self. We stil have 50 games to go and we have lots of forwards out with injuries. Ryder is twice as good as any call up from the depleted Hamilton ranks. If they don’t play Ryder now then there is seriously something wrong with the leadership of this team.

The Original 24 Cups

48. POPS says:

Habs win 5 – 2!!!!!!! Koivu, Kovalev, and Price rock the Leafs.

49. showey47 says:

agreed, breezer should pack it in. Gorges and obyrne are better defensivly than breezer and will only get better with playing time. Smokes looks slow and useless but he is good in the faceoff circle which is where we are weak.

50. showey47 says:

Ours easily. I do think our d is better but toronto’s is probably better coached. I think we do need a number 4 dman though and if the rumours are true about bob talking trade with anaheim i can see bob trying to get beauchemin.

“they don’t have the back end to do it”. Despite the fact that the Leafs have three defensemen (McCabe, Kabina, Kaberle) who each make on average over $5 mil a year and their contracts run until the end of 2010-11! Next year we will be basically in the same spot with Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek each making about $5 to 5.5 mil a year. The question is, which defense would you prefer to have?

The Original 24 Cups

52. showey47 says:

Or even worse than that mistake that costs us, is that phantom call that usually comes against us at crucial times. Like that overtime penalty on bouillon which led to their first win which was abosolutly terrible considering komi got a brutal high stick to the head from sundin and no ref sees it. Or in the second game when higgins had a virtual empty net and woznoski had a hold of higgins,pushed the net off and would of scored. Rule 63.6 (pretty sure its this one) states this goal should of counted but its the refs consent. Or the last game when blake knocks over price and sundin taps it into an empty net. Once again a ref discretion call and we all know that an ontario ref won’t make that call against toronto, especially in their building.

I don’t like to blame the homer officiating but we always seem to get the short end against the laffs.

53. JF says:

Dave, it’s the fact that all the games are decided by a single goal that makes them so hard to sit through. We watch in agony, waiting for the mistake that will cost us the game, since we always do make mistakes against the Leafs. Their size seems to be a bigger advantage to them than our so-called speed is to us.

54. Dave Stubbs says:

No prediction at all, Mikey. What I like is that all four Canadiens-Leafs games this season have been decided by a single goal. They always seem to go down to the last shot on net. Should be a good one tonight no matter what.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

55. Ed says:

If Ryder plays tonight, it’s only because Carbonneau wants to once again subject him to the booing of the fans at the Bell Centre. Just yesterday, Carbonneau mentioned 3 players available at Hamilton in case Kostitsyn & Latendresse can’t play. He made it clear that Ryder is not needed.

In the last 4 games, Ryder has played 2 at home where he has been booed mercilessly by the fans, while Carbonneau has benched him for the 2 road games where the team seems to play better, & he could play with less pressure. The sooner Ryder is traded, the better it will be for him, and for the team, and for the fans who are always complaining about him, even when he is not playing.

It’s time to move on, just like it was when Ribeiro was traded. That definitely worked out for the best, especially for Ribeiro who is still a young man, and has a lot of good years ahead of him. Many of the fans do appreciate the years Ryder put in here, but there are a lot who actually sound vindictive, for whatever reason.

56. RetroMikey says:

Aww come on Dave! Seems like you are already prediciting the game tonight against the Buds! We’re injured but we are the Canadiens! We’ve got depth on our farm as you guys have stated on yor previous Habs podcast in the beginning of the season, yes? Begin, Smolinski, Latendresse, Brisebois are injured and can be replaced. Remember, Toronto has been injured all season and look how well they are playing. Good teams find ways to win whether injury free or not. Let’s not use this as a lame excuse if we lose tonight or else I will be bitterly disappointed. I do not want to hear on this site ” We lost due to injuries”. That does not cut it for me. On paper, we are the better team with skill and speed, let’s use it and spank the Leafs tonite! As I’ve always said, play hard and hustle boys, every shift you are on the ice! Go Habs Go!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

57. Higgins21 says:

Well, I’ve never agreed with a dog before. Actually, I never understood what they were saying. But this dog speaks loud and clear. Keep Breeze-by and Slowinski in the press box forever. Play the kids.

58. Gilles Poisson says:

His older brother must be an inspiration to him. He gets $3 million and he doesn’t even have to play. Thank you.

59. linp says:

That was exactly Carbo’s problem. Our team worried too much about our opponents and played like we were always killing penalty (dump the puck out, D-men are afraid to make a pass, forwards collapse into our own zone). That’s how we get into trouble.
    Instead, we should have confidence in our own play. We should have an attitude to beat any team in the league. The players should play together as a team, use our speed and force the play. That’s the winning formula.

60. WindsorHab-10 says:

So what’s the problem?

61. Smart Dog says:

I love this!:

“The Canadiens are hurting. Defenceman Patrice Brisebois and forwards Steve Bégin and Bryan Smolinski are out with a variety of injuries…”

LOL. We’ll miss Begin, but besides that we’re in GREAT shape!
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Price, Higgins, Komisaurus, Plekanec, O’Byrne, K1 &K2.

62. LTHF says:

Cdnman you may have hit on something that Ryder maybe affected by his brother’s problems.
    I hate to say this but if the Leafs play any where near the way they played against the Thrashers, our Habs could be in trouble—hope not! The fact they played last night and was probably late getting into Montreal could be a factor in the Habs favor.

63. A. Berke says:

Yes but please, not against the laffs. Any other game is OK by me.

Ali B.

64. A. Berke says:

maybe money doesn’t mean much to him or maybe he just doesn’t like to play hockey. After all, I have seen musically very talented people who refused to become a musician. Who knows.

On second thought, I just wonder, with his talent, if he would like to swap places with his older bro?

Ali B.

65. skoehn says:

Can’t wait for Huet to get backbetween the pipes

66. showey47 says:

Actually toronto hasn’t played well till the last three weeks or so when they adopted a virtual 3 man defensive system almost like the devils. They figured out they can’t run and gun with teams because they don’t have the back end to do it. Before this they were the 3rd worst team in the league in the standings and worst overall in goals allowed.

67. Cdnman1 says:

Maybe Ryder is distracted by his brothers problems.
    Lets hope they both get it together.

Number 25 in 2008

68. P St. Pierre says:

If Jim Hughson calls the game for CBC, I’ll watch it on there. If not, RDS all the way.

69. WindsorHab-10 says:

We’ve won the last 2 from Toronto but we have been outplayed in every game this year. I’d like to see a complete game from the Boys for once tomorrow night and like has been mentioned, we can counter Toronto’s size with our speed. I hope we’re up for the challenge because the Leafs have been hot lately.

70. saku11 says:

what a waste. The kid obviously has the talent to make it, why would he quit? He doesn’t want to get paid millions to play a game or something?

71. likehoy says:

in case anyone else is wondering what is going on with ryder’s brother