Game 32: Canadiens solve Thomas, snap skid

Canadiens’ Michael Cammalleri scores against Bruins goalie Tim Thomas on a penalty shot during the first period Thursday night at the Bell Centre. Dave Sidaway, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game
Blog,
 Quick

hits
and About
last night …

| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | P.K. Subban | Carey Price | Max Pacioretty

• At a Glance: The Canadiens enjoyed two-goal leads on three separate occassion over the Bruins on Thursday night, but Boston never quit and fought valiently until the end, but the Canadiens held on for a 4-3 win.
Michael Cammalleri scored the game’s first goal 1:04 in on a penalty shot awarded after Bruins’ Zdeno Chara hooked Cammalleri while on a breakaway. Cammalleri deked Bruins goalie Tim Thomas and lifted the puck over his outstretched leg for a 1-0 lead.
Maxim Lapierre made it 2-0 five minutes later when he popped a rebound beyond Thomas moments after a faceoff win in the Bruins zone.
Blake Wheeler narrowed the gap to 2-1 with about four minutes to play in the period when he fired a shot from a sharp angle that Carey Price got a piece of, but the puck rolled over his pad and trickled over the goal line.
Max Pacioretty, playing in his second game of the season for the Canadiens, made it 3-1 with 30 seconds to play when his backhand shot from behind the goal line went off Bruins defenceman Andre Ference and slid beyond Thomas.
In the second period, Marc Savard pulled the Bruins to within a goal when he scored 6:54 into the period. It was his first goal of the season after missing time because of post-concussion symptoms.
Canadiens captain Brian Gionta re-established the two-goal lead with about three minutes to play when he appeared to redirect a shot by Pacioretty, although replays showed the puck went in off a Bruins defenceman.
Milan Lucic brought the Bruins back to within a goal during a power play when he deflected a Patrice Bergeron shot from the point over Price’s shoulder with about five minutes to play.

• Key Moments: In the second period, Michael Cammalleri got into the first fight of his NHL career with Bruins’ David Krejci.

• What It Means:
Montreal snaps a three-game losing streak, its longest of the season and improves to 19-11-2, opening a four-point lead over the Bruins for top spot in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens embark on a seven-game road trip that starts Sunday night in Colorado and then has stops in Dallas and Carolina before Christmas, then the team hits the road again for games against the New York Islanders, Washington Capitals, the Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers on New Year’s Eve.

1. SmartDog says:

LOL

yeah he is…. and that banner stinks too!

——-

2. AH says:

I can’t believe the CBC doesn’t frickin rein in these obvious biased asses like Milbury and Stock, unbelievable! That hit gave me shivers down my spine, why?, because it’s been a LONG TIME since we had a Hab willing and able to DESTROY with the body, and PK and his skating ability makes that possible. AWESOME!, yes he’s going to make mistakes, but I say TURN HIM LOOSE!!!

GO HABS GO!!

3. StevieRay says:

Gill ” blast”..from the point ..?? not likely

blonde… 3rd row…likely !!

4. StevieRay says:

Bud Light for this ole Hombre tonite …..Home alone !

recipe ..play hard..no glaring mistakes ..get on them quickly..

5. Mattyleg says:

no, I don’t think you’re that bad…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. SPATS says:

Just read your background – Perry’s my brothers name… , very similar habsperiences. Been a fan since Bobby Rousseau handed me my best goalie trophy in 69… It’s not just you, the banner blows

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

7. RMc says:

so true…at least NESN might mention that the score is 3-1 and the shots were 17-9 in favour of MTL…not talking about how the habs won’t fight their goons for no reason and how the refs have screwed them

8. samTHEman says:

Maybe Mr. Pressbox has some advice for him. Nah, I’m not a fan of that strategy but he definately needs to stop making those passes ala Komi2Cami T2T

9. Mattyleg says:

If he keeps losing games the way he is, you might get your wish sooner rather than later.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. canadiens26 says:

I am at the school library studying and unfortunately cannot get a feed from RDS, only NESN. I haven’t watched a game on CBC in 2 years. I cannot stand their biased comments every single game they air.

My NESN comments were genuine, but I guess I can’t expected much from an american channel broadcasting a game vs. a canadian team.

11. Psycho29 says:

Pain in the %%% !!

I thought it was just me….

12. RMc says:

I liked when MacLean made a comment about stock and milburry being boston alum…and then stock says time to suck up to montreal and millburry says speak for him self…not hiding his bias one bit…love to see him pull that on NBC during a Philly/Rangers/Det/Pitts broadcast vs. Boston…CBC probably promotes habs bashing and gives a bonus if you can squeeze in an unrelated Leafs reference

13. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Hehe, I tend to do the same when the English broadcast is on TSN. My wife is always on my case to turn it to RDS when I get upset, even though she can’t understand a word of it.

14. J Haul says:

Totally. I was actually quite disappointed that MacLean didn’t step in. Those two should never be allowed on a habs game again, especially on a publicly finded broadcaster. The bias is thick and palpable.

Every one of us pays to have those idiots try and ruin the game we’re watching.

15. SPATS says:

ANY BUDDY ELSE HATING THE LOTTO BANNER?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

16. RMc says:

too bad MacLean hates Montreal also…like the rest of the network.

Habs=thursday night game with NESN doing the intermission basically

Leaf=Saturday night game talking about how they’re the greatest franchise ever

All paid and funded by the entire country.