Game 30: Maple Leafs take advantage of sloppy Habs

Canadiens goaltender Alex Auld made only his third start of the season Saturday night in Toronto. Dave Sandford, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game
Blog,
 Quick hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Alex Auld | Mike Cammalleri | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens came out flat in the opening period Saturday night, being outshot and outscored 2-0 and that was all the Maple Leafs would need in a 3-1 win. The Maple Leafs jumped out to a 2-0 first-period lead with goals from Phil Kessel and Tomas Kaberle. Kessel took advantage of a bouncing puck off the boards behind Alex Auld to slip the puck behind the Canadiens goaltender, who was caught out of position. Kaberle scored his first goal since March on an odd-man rush off a pass from Fredrik Sjostrom. The Maple Leafs outshot the Canadiens 11-4 in the first period, but were outshot 10-3 in the second period, during which the Canadiens narrowed the lead to 2-1. Michael Cammalleri scored his 10th of the season 14:38 into the period, beating Jean-Sebastien Giguere with a quick wrist shot from the high slot. Kris Versteeg completed the scoring into an empty net.
• Key Moments: Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek left the game in the first period with an upper-body injury after a fight with Clarke MacArthur, who attacked Spacek after a whistle in the Toronto zone.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost two straight and the Canadiens’ record falls to 18-10-2.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens are home for games against the Flyers and Bruins next Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. There is no game next Saturday night, with the Canadiens in Colorado for a Sunday night game on Dec. 19.

1. pmaraw says:

knock on wood eh?  i fail to see your point.  dont you think if i can remember the last decade of series vs the leafs, i can remember the last 2 games as well?

2. lavie says:

It seems the new server bandwidth can only stand 20 viewers in the same time, right?

3. tricolore says:

Sorry to have offered an opinion different than yours but JM is outcoached every loss this team has. On top of it, he has affected the confidence of a young blossoming player in Subban. His pairings are wrong. You obviously believe that this team’s success is all solid. There are holes. Just like this evening, thus far, and yesterday against Detroit. Recall the second game vs Philly? Recall Nashville? Recall Atlanta? Those losses tell you the technical story that exposes the flaws. Mind you, I know they have beaten Vancouver, Boston, Philly, etc….some good teams. Know what? Wrong. Price beat those teams. Were it not for his stellar performance thus far this year, the Habs have at least 7 to 8 more losses this year.

Now, think about Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez, Pouliot, AK46, and now Subban….where is the consistency? The coach is responsible to mobilize his players and create an environment to succeed for his players. If one or two players slump, that’s one thing, 4, 5, 6, and beyond…is a coach that struggles to play and position his players in the best situations to succeed.

I think there is huge potential for the Habs this year to succeed as they did in the post season last year. I just do not see JM as the man to lead them to the promised land. I could be wrong. I want to be wrong.

Let’s hope my misinterpretation begins tonight. Let’s see the Habs come back to beat the Leafs.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

4. Ayan_SB says:

Tom Kowal is refeering the Habs game for the 2nd night in row.

5. since1988 says:

HAHAHA great find

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

6. SmartDog says:

Awwwwww……  well thanks anyway.

——-

7. hab_skill says:

Nobody was complainng when they were paired and playing well. It’s not JM’s fault, they just aren’t playing well.

8. observer says:

this would be their second win over the habs there this season.

9. since1988 says:

not dressing though boyd is still in

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

10. SmartDog says:

Desharnais called up.  I love it!

I love that we have guys in Hamilton who may come up and actually be something to watch.

——-

11. SmartDog says:

I thought Finger was playing in the AHL?

Man what a mess!  LOL

——-

Very poor coaching!!!  We were very much unprepared to compete at all tonight. This is the worst two games of hockey this year. We had one good period last night. Tonight garbage hockey, and you cant blame it all on the tender.

Now we are going to get pushed around the rest of the night. I have not been this po ed in a very long time.

I blame the coaching for not having this team ready to compete. They better get it turned around or this is going to get ugly.

13. rocketsglare says:

Great classic movie. I hope the Habs fry the Leafs tonight.

14. observer says:

thats what pro sports of today have become. they make more money than they ever did? there is gambling thyat leagues are scared stiff to admit if they even knew coaches, players or refs were involved? this is todays pro sports. no-shows are common almost every night.

15. W35T5ID3 says:

Hey,who just about freaked out like i did when Plekanec took that hip check from Rafalski last night?He ‘s an important guy on this team!I couldnt see this team sustaining its great level of play  if pleks were to have gotten injured on  that play.PHEW!What a relief.Hes alright.

16. W35T5ID3 says:

I was listening to that HockeyCentral show on i think wednesday or thursday.You know…the one with that dick kypreos and shmug mclean…..Anywho…they were talking about possible trabe destinations for Kaberle and they said maybe MTL would be in the market for a off. D man.And that kaberle would more than likely wave his no trade clause.BUT..the most hilarious of all is that those two idiots mclean and kypreos think that burke would be able to pry eller for kaberle….LOL…lmao…as if!!!Kaberle/…..ufa after this year …34yrs old….NAH.Eller ….wayyyyyy  younger ….great potential….Besides who in the hell wants Torontos crap players?They suck!!

17. A. Berke says:

Mike Komisarek will not play after injuring a finger earlier this week in a game against Pittsburgh.

Was this a result of one his famous fights that he keeps winning?

Go Habs Go (please don’t muck it up because the laffs are bottom feeders).

Ali B.

18. observer says:

he says he does not want subban to do everything on the ice then couples him with the worst d-man on the team which then would about force him to do it all. question is since season started lost top d-man markov and traded out obyrrne and added n0o defensemen and have lots of cap space to work a trade. picard is on this team only because of his language.

19. MTLForever says:

alex auld is in says the canadiens twitter

20. mike g says:

Yea, i just dont like him….

It might just be my perception, but he seems insulted that he wasnt named captain, and it looks like he pouts all the time because of it.
    And if thats true, then i believe those in the media who say hes not the best teammate and sometimes selfish..
    He really reminds me of that kid we all played hockey with. The one who would be happy after a 6-0 win, just because he didnt score…

21. Pieboy says:

Delighted to see Deharnais given a shot. Small but talented, and works hard. I hope he’ll be given a few games to adjust to the big league.

22. JohnBellyful says:

Just finished watching one of the great sci-fi movies of all time  – The Thing (From Outer Space). The screen credits said James Arness played the title role but I’m pretty sure it was Dion Phaneuf. And I swear on a stack of waffles that Phaneuf was also the Frankenstein monster. You take a close look tonight, imagine a pair of electrodes on his neck, and tell me I’m wrong.

23. WindsorHab-10 says:

WTF is Jm trying to prove pairing Subban & Picard? What an idiot.

Looks like Xmas is coming early for Laffs compliments of our USELESS team. What a pathetic effort & our useless coach refuses to call a timeout. How the frick did McCarthur not get an instigator?

24. Mattyleg says:

Mmmm… I smell WAFFLES!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. tricolore says:

Excellent point. Cammy is as predictable as an increase in taxes. He’s just not ‘there’ this year. Seems to overthink his moves….those shots would have sliced through the goalie last year….

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

26. Kimberly2u says:

Very disappointed tonight in our team…what happened since they left Detroit?  They aren’t even trying to play let alone get a shot on goal.

27. pmaraw says:

its not the end of the world if we lose a game to the leafs, every year since the lockout has been a series split if you take away extra points for ot wins.

28. pmaraw says:

are you gonna blame jm for every brain cramp a player has?  they cant all be 10 good minutes, but common, look at the success the team has had this year, give it up troll.

29. mike g says:

Is Cammalleri evet gonna deke on a breakaway??

Ive never seen a more predictable player, always tries for top corner glove side….
    Oh great, now Auld just let in a terrible waffle.

See how much Cammy’s breakaway couldve changed everything

30. oldrrty says:

Pull Auld and pull him now!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

31. tricolore says:

Not the only reason here, but Auld not ‘there’.

Subban not ‘there’. Let me say it again, ‘Nicely done again’.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

32. pmaraw says:

*cough*chris lee*cough*homegame*cough*

33. pmaraw says:

ya i agree, they need to be accountable.

34. Habs_Fan_1 says:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the NHL has regressed to, for the most part, having the refs call games in favour of the home team, for the sake of entertaining paying customers. It is no different than when Montreal plays at home. It isn’t anti-French or anti-Canadian. It has everything to do with money.

35. tricolore says:

Let’s summarize the first 10 minutes.

Cammalleri misses the net. Again….

Subban on the ice for the Habs goal and has lost his swagger. Well done Martin.

Auld no idea where the puck was.

AK46 playing like the good old days…coughing up the puck.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

36. rocketsglare says:

So, why did you respond? What a dope.

37. pmaraw says:

11 loses out of 29?  i suppose he had zero involvement in the 18 wins?

38. kakey says:

I was reading the outline of the new book “The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms” and the following lines come to mind with the Subban/Richard incident:

People reserve standard compliments for those who do not threaten their pride; the others they often praise by calling “arrogant.”

If my detractors knew me better they would hate me even more.

39. Dougie says:

Astonishingly bad reffing. But Habs have to play around that. Still throwing the puck all over the place. No control. No plan of attack. Just chaos.

40. canadiens26 says:

Haha yeah, I definitely over exaggerated. Taking 5 minutes to think about it, I can recall many other games that have been worse at many different levels of hockey.

I am simply disappointed with the inconsistency of the reffing.

41. MTLForever says:

Such a slow start. Subban’s game definitely seems off since being sat and I hate it. Need to score early in the 3rd, nice shot by Cammy. Hit the net more like that and you’d be scoring like you did in the playoffs.

Brad Richards interested in Dallas, Rangers, Tampa or LA. Too bad guys.

42. pmaraw says:

9 maybe?  i dont know, all you do is complain /ignore.

43. pmaraw says:

did you see that chris lee game last year?  it has been worse.

44. pmaraw says:

okay, thats why its scoring by committee for our team.  fortunately our team has a top notch committee.

45. rocketsglare says:

I will stand corrected if Cammalleri can score the 2nd goal. LOL.

46. oldrrty says:

What are the laffs honouring this time? And how sad is that they have to include bower in everything just so they can remember a stanley cup victory. what a joke

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

47. canadiens26 says:

I have never witnessed such an atrocious display of refereeing as I have these last two nights. What a complete joke.

48. rocketsglare says:

…. and don’t tell me we have Cammalleri or Gionta.

49. rocketsglare says:

The Habs do not have that player that can get them 2 quick goals like Pittsburgh or Washington has. It is this team’s

only weakness IMO. Management must look into upgrading this team’s power production.

50. rocketsglare says:

How many times have we seen the Habs start slowly or poorly and in the end has cost this team?

51. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Odd, I thought the players were responsible for playing the game.

52. joeybarrie says:

Im gonna try to change my mood with a joke…

I disagree with your analogy. The Leafs are NOTHING like you Ex girlfriends girlfriend….

I would never sleep with the Leafs to stick it to Boston…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. 1010 says:

Yeah, and more bad reffing . I can’t figure out why Montreal catches the bad reffing so much?

I mean, the Canadiens have got the short end of the powerplays versus penalties stat almost  at a two-to-one ratio this year. Toronto has come out on top in this situation everytime Montreal has played them(Just for instance). Why? Must be because the Habs have such a big,dirty team with no speed (Yeah, right) .

GO HABS…

54. MTLForever says:

it appears we play fridays when we have toronto on saturdays, its happened more than once.

55. sholi2000.com says:

I’m happy there is at least one person that can laugh tonight hehe! :)

They Call Me Shane

56. Habscore says:

Anybody watching the Naslund ceremony?? Which Sedin is which? who is who?

hahaha…

……………………………………………………………… YES HABS CAN!!

57. J Haul says:

Agreed, totally junk game. The last time we played these bums was the same. After watching a premiere matchup vs Detroit, the lack of game quality was especially glaring. The leafs have a way up bunging up any game.

58. mike g says:

Ugly.

Plain and simple. No other word can describe tonights game.

It’s not fair to point fingers, but I don’t care……

1- JM: Wtf was in your head this weekend? You’ve been coaching this team so well this year, and then you make the dumbest move of the year. You dress Price to play against a Western Conference team, and decide to put Auld in against a division rival, and a team who always bring their A game against us. Terrible management of the goaltending situation. Price should’ve been in nets tonight instead of last night, and guaranteed the Habs 2 points. Instead, 4 points were given away for free. Just bad coaching…

2- AK: I’ve slammed him in the past, but this time I’m really serious. I’m going to make it a point to stroll downtown in the next few days in an effort to cross paths with him, most probably at the expensive stores. And then, I’m going to punch him in the face and tell him what a disgrace he is. We all saw how invisible Kovy was, and we slammed him for it. Well Andrei is 100 times worse. What a usless, heartless and lazy individual he is. Shows up once a month just to remind you he actually exists, and then hides for 10 games. I swear I’m going to organize a protest outside the Bell Center this summer NOT to re-sign this guy. Darche and Pouliot deserves his top 6 spot and minutes. Nobody can argue that, and that tells alot about how useless he is….

3- Alex Auld: Feel bad for the guy because he doesn’t play alot, but comon. That 2nd goal that Kaberle scored, really? That’s not even a pee-wee goal. What a killer that one was. I don’t want to blame the loss on him, but that goal just takes such a huge toll on the team mentally.

You know, it’s games like this that piss me off. We shoulda just flew back home last night and given the 2 points to TO tonight. We did that anyways, and it would’ve saved us the embarrassment and Spacek. The best teams in the league have bad nights, but this wasn’t bad. This was a total non-effort by everyone, and against one of the weakest teams in the league it makes it even worse.

The Leafs often show up for their games and lose, because they’re just a bad hockey club. And tonight, The Leafs didn’t show up and they still beat us. That’s how bad this one was.

And that’s it. Time to go to bed.

59. Danno says:

I had a bad feeling about this game and sure enough… God I hate the Leafs.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. J Haul says:

Yeah, idiotic and unfair scheduling.

61. J Haul says:

And yet a talentless team like the leafs gets the most powerplays in the league. It’s just mind blowing.

To top it off, the same jackass refs our games two nights in a row and we’re shafted in the pp department to the tune of what, 10-2 total? That’s just ridiculous! Both teams, especially the leafs, did enough to warrant at least a couple calls. That was as blatantly bad (or bias) officiating as I’ve seen in while now. Any chance Chris Lee trained this guy? sheesh…

62. mike g says:

Gomez is a huge part of this team…

Most on this site, and in the media, won’t understand it until they see it actually unfold.

This weekend was proof just how important he is. His transition speed, his vision, and his ability to make the oppositions defenseman back up off of his linemates are what make him such a good player.

Problem is, everyone looks at the money and the stats in this city. In reality, the only stats that count are wins and losses. And when Gomez plays, we win more games than we lose. And the money thing is a joke. Fine he’s overpaid, but I’d take Gomez at 25 million over AK at the 3.25 million he’s making this year. At least Gomez works hard every game and has heart.

He’s doing his job very well.

Keep defending him, you’re 100% correct. Those who don’t agree with you never will. They’re still caught into the whole belief that AK will be a consistent 30 goal scorer.

63. habsgod says:

that’s because the refs are obr’s so they have to give the leafs a rav otherwise they wouldn’t beat us period.

64. habsgod says:

maybe your right tino but then geoff molson has to step in and fire both of these clowns!

65. joeybarrie says:

Well its mostly because the only thing that would make me feel better tonight would be to sleep with my ex girlfriend’s girlfriend… (again)

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

66. terrygain says:

You are an idiot. I hope you you get your chance. You’ll have  a new nose. Go cheer for a team as stupid as you.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

67. SmartDog says:

Wow. I’m almost spechless.

But I have ONE thing to say.  Just about every game we’ve lost this year there’s been one area where we’ve been beaten. Physical play.

Gorges and Subban were throwing checks but that’s about it. And Gorges is not that big. We got pushed around and beaten up by the Laffs, and out-muscled in front of our net by the Wings.  This  is a good team.  But this is how we lose.  Without an element of mean we are vulnerable. We’re nice guys, professionals, fair. And it’s our kryptonite.

SD

——-

68. ctony says:

It also says Eller is not ready for second line duty and that we need a real top 6 forward.

69. sholi2000.com says:

hehe

They Call Me Shane

70. Mad Habber says:

To bad the refs ruined the game against the Wings….

71. terrygain says:

Mike Guerrera

HI/O member for: 49 weeks 5 days

Habs fan since: i exited the fetus

_________________________________________________

Not just out of his body.

72. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Or JM is perhaps testing his A-team against A Cup Contender team and see how he stacks up against the best while he sends in his B Goalie against a Bottom-5 team? Regardless of how the Loafs play against MTL, you want to know if you can beat the best, not the worst.

2. Go for it, than maybe the rest of the Habs can visit you when you’re in hospital. I’m sorry your classless whining hero Richards is in PHI but AK was not the worst Hab on the ice tonight, he made good plays tonight but you’ve got AKPhobia the way SD has Gomezphobia.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

73. mike g says:

Listen, it’s a joke alright. I like to joke around, don’t take it personally or get all sensitive about it.

But I’m sorry for feeling ripped off…

He is a first class piece of garbage, that’s all he is.

He milks this organization for millions, and gives nobody anything in return. He’s the type of player that will never sacrifice himself for the team. I can’t stand seeing Pleks work so hard, only to see it go to waste because of AK’s soft and effortless play. Bench the guy, he’s useless.

Tonight, he gave away the puck 6 times in our zone, and 4 times he had no pressure. In their zone, he tried 3 times to pass back to the point when our defensemen were being covered like glue by the Leafs wingers. Sometimes, I really think he’s blind.

Actually no, he just doesn’t care.

74. MTLForever says:

haha i watched it, i didn;t know who was who

75. Ayan_SB says:

There’s nothing more pee-wee than boasting about how you’re gonna attempt to beat up a professional athlete. Grow up dude, it’s just a game.

76. Habscat says:

If JM is the coach for the next few seasons I suggest that we trade Subban. He is timid and useless playing the way he has been playing since the Richards comments and especially since the benching. We can get any stiff (See Picard) to play the style that he is playing now. Jacques F’N Martin = where creativity goes to die. If Spacek is out for any period of time I suggest we make a huge splash and bring a few bodies in.

77. Willy the bum says:

Oh my gawd! Should I be glad I didn’t catch this game tonight? I got distracted because I bumped into a good friend and had a nice coffee with her.  I was desperately trying to hear what the score was.  So now I’m here on this site, and I’m quite shocked.

Didn’t catch last night’s game as well (Christmas party at work; didn’t get lucky…), I heard it was a good loss for the Habs.  But catching this game against the Leafs?  Weird weekend.

I think December is the deadliest month of the season, with tough teams to face.  And the loss of Markov and Gomez (temporary), it’s one of the bad times to shuffle lines and such.

Well, maybe I should stay away of watching tonight’s game and sleep early (work the next day), and the worst has yet to come.  Be prepared everybody!

78. LA Loyalist says:

You know what – people are allowed to debate count chocula without you telling them to pick another team. Just argue back, that’s how it works.

A good coach adapts to the players he has, not trying to break them into the players he wants.

That’s how Pat Burns, for example, was able win coach of the year with 3 different teams. Count Chocula won’t be happy until we’re a replication of the good New Jersey teams, with Price instead of Brodeur.

Memo: there won’t be much room in that system for PK Subban, like there is no room in NJ for Kovalchuk (possibly the most bizarre FA signing to date, he should have signed in LA).

79. mike g says:

Ok Rob seriously, stop Bringing Richards into all of my posts….

If you can’t see that AK is a terrible player, than please stop defending him. Stop having hope in this guy, please. He’s just a heartless player. All you guys have hoped for years, and he never delivers. Scored goals in 1 out of 19 playoff games last year. He had one “good” year, and that was the year Kovalev woke up from hibernation. Tells how how much of a reliable player AK is, huh?

And you wanna test your team vs the best teams, finish as high as possible in the regular season and then test your team in the playoffs. That’s what it’s all about.

It’s twice JM pulls this this year, and it’s twice it backfires. He played Price vs LA and DET, we won one of those games. He then put Auld in nets the very next 2 games after those western teams, and we lost both to TO and ATL.

2 points out of a possible 8, that’s what “testing” gets you.

Instead, play Price vs TO and ATL, eastern teams that you’re actually fighting with, and I guarantee you we have more than 2 points to show for it.

80. LA Loyalist says:

Sorry, you have to share “post of the day” with the guy who who posted Tsun Tzu. :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

81. punkster says:

We also don’t score much.

***Win or I toss these waffles!***

82. AH says:

Sigh, bad weekend for the Habs…can someone,anyone please tell me why we have no killer instinct when it comes to these frickin Leafs? Why do we always show them so much respect, play down to their level and more often than not lose to them? Please don’t tell me the Habs were tired! It seems like every other team can waltz into their building and lay a BEATING on them (see Edmonton), but not the Habs. The only team I was concerned aboout in a 7 game series is the Flyers, now I better change that to the Leafs too, (thank goodness they’re not a playoff team!). What a bloody joke.

PK has got to get that puck into the corner and not take that shot. Whether you agree with his benching or not, bottom line is he is not the same player he was pre-benching, let’s just hope it’s rust and not his psyche.

83. LA Loyalist says:

Not to speak for Timo, who can speak for himself, but maybe he didn’t mean “disgusting” maybe he meant “embarassing”… __ or maybe he meant both.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

84. LA Loyalist says:

aren’t

85. SeriousFan09 says:

To much obsession with dropping 2 to a non-competitor Mike, it was better to see how the Habs can compete with the top in the West than the bottom of the East. Nobody could know how these games would go once the puck dropped, especially that Chris Lee’s apprentice was going to job the Habs over the weekend.

I evaluate players based on many things and I don’t fancy myself an expert at the draft like some here. I collect the data, take in their play when I can see it and figure out what they have to offer. I list Desharnais as a prospect in Habs Future when I’m not convinced he can break out of the A. I enjoy Pacioretty’s great stats this season but I’ll bet against his goal scoring pace continuing on the season. I’m less than 50% convinced Yemelin will entertain an offer from the Habs next season, or Trunev. I love Brendan Gallagher’s heart but worry he’ll never get fast enough, or won’t be strong enough to make the NHL. I try to evaluate the talent and make a best guess.

I see Andrei Kostitsyn with many tools that allow him to succeed in the NHL, size, strength, speed and stickhandling. His issues have often been defence and consistency, I see him with much better D this season and have considered that he has been mishandled in his development since JM is teaching him good habits now. Will he be what we all want him to be? I’m not too convinced on that but I’m tired of the venom directed his way and the ridiculous accusations the yellow-press media threw at him in 2009 and never retracted.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

86. joeybarrie says:

You DID get lucky. Last 2 games have RUINED my weekend…….

Halak lost in a shootout to Carolina and D’Ags missed his shot… If Im miserable I want Halak and Dags to be miserable too… doesnt make me feel better, but it doesnt make me feel worse… Now I want Dominic Moore and Guy Boucher to lose badly………..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

87. mike g says:

Geez, you guys take it so personally…

I said that as a joke, just trying to show how frustrated he gets me.

And this has nothing to do with hockey being a game or not. It’s about being accountable.

I love watching this team, but what I like even more is seeing people being rewarded for hard work in life. And in hockey, we see many examples of that.

Carey Price worked his butt off and look what life has done for him.

Pleks, same thing.

Hal Gill, Hamrlik, Pyatt, Darche, Gionta, and most other Habs. Look at what their hard work has done for them this year. They’re enjoying a fine season.

But then you’ve got a guy like AK that just sucks the life out of everyone.

It sucks to watch Pleks get slashed trying to take the puck out of our zone, skate through 3 guys in the neutral zone, only to pass it to AK and watch him lose it 2 seconds later because of his poor work ethics.

Most guys have been sacrificing their bodies all year for wins. I bet you Georges has 17 bruises after every game, because he’s a team player and blocking shots is what he does to help the team.

AK doesn’t have those, and hardly breaks a sweat because he just doesn’t care. There’s no other way of putting it.

And it’s a total shame, because those who are working their butts off towards that one ultimate goal will likely fall short because of the unwillingess to sacrifice in players like AK.

And that’s what bugs me about the guy. He indirectly hurts others due to his personal laziness…

88. SeriousFan09 says:

I defend players who got unjustly attacked IMO. You don’t like it, too bad but I back players who I think have been unfairly targeted. You’ve raved about Richards and the 2003 draft long enough to make it rather obvious you harbor a grudge against AK since he went before your hero.

I’d rather have a great game against DET than one against TOR. That’s how I feel, they are a basement team going nowhere and it does MTL nothing to know they can beat them, they won’t be playing them in April. You need to test your team against any team that is playoff-capable and potentially Cup-Contending. That’s how you know how you’re doing and how you have to adjust your team. If you waste your time figuring out how to beat bottom-feeders and not contenders, you can expect bad playoff results.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

89. habsgod says:

pierre gauthier has to have some testicular fortitude, and step in and
    tell jacques martin to play pk subban  and if he doesn’t he’s fired as
    the coach of this team,martin could ruin subban and his confidence by
    doing this,because pk doesn’t seem very confident out there and this big eared moron is going to ruin our prized defenceman! if gauthier doesn’t do this then geoff molson better step in right away and fire both doink and dink the clown(gauthier and martin)

90. habstrinifan says:

I am beginning to believe you. JM and someone like Suban just aint gonna live in peace. I am a habs fan and this may be blasphemous but if JM stays then Subban goes. Plain and simple. And habs fans live with it… whatever path Subban career takes.. which I think would be a hugely successful one.

91. terrygain says:

You are the one who is blind. And stupid. Threatening someone because he only got one point and was only plus 1. Get a life.

92. habstrinifan says:

You are totally right… I fear.

93. mike g says:

Wow, real mature of you….

I’m respected by many on this site because I watch and follow the sport of hockey closely and most often have great discussions with great people on this site.

If you want to single me out, send me a private message and I’ll be glad to argue with you there. But don’t bring it into a public forum like that and try to embarrass me in front of them.

If you can’t take the joke I posted about fighting with AK, don’t attempt to go this far in trying to make fun of me..

94. terrygain says:

Ryan O’Byrne had 7 (seven!) blocked shots tonight.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

95. habstrinifan says:

I think as the season goes along you will see Cammilleri being less and less a part of this team emotionally. This is Hal Gill’s and JM’S team and maybe Gomez’s.

Players with passion… move aside. Mike Cammilleri is to good and passionate a player to suddenly be ineffective. There’s lots eating at him.

Where is the fun and excitement of our team?

96. WestHab says:

aside from the hit on neuf by Gorges they looked completley uninterested or tired.  The most dsiapointing thing was the non reaction when that idiot went after Spacek. There has to be a reaction there. It was a reflection of the whole game.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

97. terrygain says:

Wow, real mature of you.

Mature? Coming from someone who threatens a player.  What do you know about maturity?  I didn’t single you out. You singled out yourself, moron. You embarrassed yourself. No one else threated to punch a player because they are unhappy with his play.  And you don’t know what you are talking about.

98. VancouverHab says:

I thought that Gill & Hamr did well…?

99. VancouverHab says:

Personal abusiveness? Your idea matches your level of class.

100. mike g says:

I ahve no problem with testing a team…

But test them against teams in your Conference. It means absolutely nothing to beat LA or DET, you’ll only end up playing them if you AND they make it to the finals.

In the east, there’s more than enough great chances to test our team.

Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh and sometimes Washington.

That’s close to 20 games to test vs the best.

And please don’t tell me AK’s been targeted unfairly Rob. Scott Gomez is, not him.

If AK was making 8 mill and Gomez 3.25, people would protest to have AK benched.

If you are truly able to evaluate players, since you write about our prospects, deep down inside you know it yourself that AK isn’t a reliable NHL top 6 winger. He plays one good game and then vanishes for 10. I have no other way to put it.

This has nothing to do with Richards. All I want to see in AK is a consistent compete level, THATS IT!

If he works his butt off and scores 5 goals this year, I’d never come here and slam him. That would be unfair and plain dumb.

But you and I both know that’s not the case.

We’ve had this argument before, and you’re always defending him when he hasn’t even changed one bit. He’s still the talented, but lazy/take nights off player he was when we argued before.

101. terrygain says:

I agree. We don’t have a fighter.

102. VancouverHab says:

Yep — you’re right on the money here.

103. mike g says:

Go watch the replay of his “assist”…

He didn’t even touch the puck. It was an unnasisted goal, that they later changed and added Pleks and AK to it.

Luke Schenn poked the puck to Cammy. Pleks, yeah you know, the guy who actually made an effort on that play, unlike AK, yeah well he didn’t even pass it to Cammy.

But since the NHL likes to add assists to goals, they gave one to Pleks and AK.

104. mike g says:

Ok..

So you still don’t understand that it was A JOKE?

Alright got’ya…

105. mike g says:

It all goes back to last night..

That 1st goal Detroit scored, with 1.2 seconds left in the 1st period, killed us.

When you’re in almost guaranteed position to steal a period vs a world class team like the Wings, and then watch it all vanish away the way it did with nearly no time left on the clock, that kills a team.

When I played high level hockey, those were situations where no matter what was said in the room, you knew the team would just not respond the proper way or continue to play a good game.

We then lost our legs after killing off 100 powerplays, and played back-to-back tonight with mush legs and with a mind-frame not strong enough to execute a good game.

That one goal, cost us a potential win last night and a good game tonight.

And I knew it the second that puck went in…

106. terrygain says:

It was a joke is the type of evasion one gets from someone not classy enough to admit he was wrong.  You are a joke is closer to the truth. But you think you exited your fetus, which proves you aren’t exactly bright.

107. mike g says:

This has nothing to with his the scandals he was accused of…

This has to do with his personal willingness to work hard and dedicate himself to the team, the same way guys of his age like Price, Pleks and Georges do. Night in and night out, those guys show up, if they’re having good days or bad days before the game. They know they have a job to do, they care about their teammates, and they want to be the best at what they do. When they play poorly, they admit it to the public. Heck, Pleks even told the reporters he played like a girl. That’s being accountable for your actions and being a man about it.

I can count on one hand how many games Price, Pleks and Georges looked lazy out there this year, combined.

But for AK, I’d need 2 people and 2 sets of hands.

That’s my problem with the guy, and it’s been 4 years of it.

108. habs365 says:

it’s too bad but Subban is playing the way martin wants him to play and it shows…tonights game, my,my,my, here’s a team that’s looking to win a stanley cup and someone mentioned they were a tired team playing back to back games that’s why they came out flat in the 1st period, I have to go along with the flat part, they only had 4 shots in the first period, correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t there back to back games in the playoffs, won’t comment anymore on that I think you know where I’m coming from.

feel sorry for Auld, he’ll be sitting for awhile, although he never allowed a goal in the last 2.5 periods, allowing his team a chance to win and by the way they recalled Desharnais, but he didn’t play, wow what a smart move. oh well it’s over and if they think they’re gonna have it easy against philly and Boston next week, you’ll have to look no farther than the standings, when it’s said and done……

109. showey47 says:

No,there isn’t back to back games in the playoffs. They all get at least 1 day (sometimes 2)days off in between.  Even if there were back to back games in the playoffs,they would be against the same team so neither team would be at an advantage.

This team is disgusting. We need another top 6 forward? How about we need 6 top 6 forward… cause the douches that are paid through the roof decided to take the night off. Wait… 2 nights off. A total absolute garbage on the ice tonight from top to bottom. Cammilleri, despite a useless goal that did nothing, has moved into Gomez territory. AK is back to being last years AK. Gionta same as Gomez. Pleks may have tried but whatever… I haven’t read any comments yet but let me guess – they must have been tired after playing one  whole period last night. 20 to 35 year old man whose lifestyle is supposedly about physical conditioning are tired after a handful of minutes of skating. That’s ok though. After all we did make it to the ECF last year and 3 years before that we did finish first in the east. Maybe this year we will clinch the NE division. More room needed for banners.

Back to back games would implied they actually played a whole game last night. They may have played a combined period in a half in 2 games.

How do you feel about shelling out an outrageous amount of money for the “classic” involving this team, Ron?

Gauthier brought Martin in… They are an old boys club. Nobody’s getting fired. PK has started the process of OByrnizaton and on his way out of here.

Doggie… tonight they lost cause they sucked dog a$$ in every single aspect of the game. Leafs have not been a more physical team. Habs have sucked… sucked, sucked and sucked until they could suck no more and then they sucked again. There is no excuse in the world that can explain tonight’s performance.

I also think PK should sit some more. Look the wonders it’s done to have him sit out 3 games. He’s been stellar since his return… the confidence, the swagger, the crispness of play has just been tremendous. JM is a fantastic coach and I can’t wait for him to sit more players… like Eller, Pouliot, PK some more…

116. Psycho29 says:

How does MacArthur not get an instigator penalty for dropping his gloves and chasing Spacek 20 feet????

117. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, because that silly slapshot windup he did tonight was never present in his game beforehand. JM ruined him forever with that benching. He made a mistake he’s been making all season that he would’ve made if he’d never seen the bench.

Why are people convinced he was playing like Ray Bourque before his benching?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

118. SeriousFan09 says:

Tom Kowal was the official.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

119. Curtis O Habs says:

Saturday night in Toronto, is just like Friday night in Detroit.  Thats why.

120. Curtis O Habs says:

Deal PG.  Deal now, while the team is near the top.

121. SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t forget, Bulldogs in action tommorow on CBC at 1 PM. Red-hot Max Pacioretty will look to extend his scoring against the Toronto Marlies tommorow as David Desharnais looks to maintain the league lead in assists and Aaron Palushaj has started to heat up again. Mathieu Carle has been very servicable while filling in for Yannick Weber as the lead offensive D.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

It’s hard really to say “well” in a game like that, but yes… they were not the worst.

Like I said… sitting him out has done wonders.

124. nickster13 says:

on a side note, anyone see Little’s goal for atlanta? right off the draw top corner, sweet

125. rocketsglare says:

The Habs can’t afford to start games slowly or poorly as they did against Detroit yesterday and Toronto today and

expect to win regularly. They also seem to inexplicably stop skating for reasons unknown and permit other teams

to regain momentum and ultimately control of the game. The lack of discipline has suddenly become an issue with

this team.

The Habs success is from playing a disciplined, patient, and opportunistic game where the team plays a solid and

sound game from beginning to end. The team seems to struggle when they deviate from their successful system.

But, all is not lost. The Habs still remain a very good team and continue to lead the Northeast Division. All teams

go through rough periods and unfortunately this weekend was so for the Habs and their fans. Bet on the Habs be-

ing ready to play against the Flyers and Bruins next week. Should be two great games.

126. Propwash says:

Thanks for the link!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

127. adamkennelly says:

Habs need some muscle – point final….no chutzpah on this team….

128. Harani says:

Habs need GSP in their line-up!

“It must be love!”

129. Seps says:

Most boring game Ive ever been to, more icings then shots.  Habs decided not to forecheck but to play a standing still neutral zone trap with one guy pressuring along their blueline, please never do that again.  I would rather see us forecheck and lose 6-3, tonight was just pathetic.

130. Seps says:

And to all you JM lovers or supporters, I would rather come in 8th with any other coach with a more offensive system then come in first or second with his.  I can’t handle these games anymore.

131. Matt_in_TO says:

I hear ya.  I joked about bringing waffles but what I really should have brought was a pillow.

- In Price We Trust

132. Harani says:

Then, you should choose another team. With the talent poolwe have, the fact that we are 3rd in conference means a lot and part of that comes from good coaching that your players buy into.

“It must be love!”

133. Hagar says:

Haven’t you heard that these free live streams aren’t legal. I hope you’re proud of yourself. You ought to be locked up all with all those people who download free music files. Scum of the earth.

134. samTHEman says:

best post all hio eternity

135. rocketsglare says:

The Habs do not have the type of team depth on offense to score at will. That is why they must play a disciplined,

patient, and opportunistic game. It may bore you, but JM’s system has proved to be successful since the Habs are

1st in the Northeast Division and 3rd overall in the Eastern Conference.

136. light_n_tasty says:

Ridiculous.

137. A. Berke says:

Plus 1.

Ali B.

138. Seps says:

Talent has nothing to do with effort.  The team didn’t put out any effort, and I don’t mind losing as much if you put in an effort but only pleky eller and pouliot were skating out there.  I actually wouldve rather been at home watching the game so I could sleep through it.  I agree that his system is working but I don’t like his system, New Jersey was a good team too but if you can watch them play for all three periods you’re either very very easily amused or you’re not sober.

139. dallyd31 says:

Disgusting, really dude ? Get a grip and give me some of what you are smoking.  We are 1st in the division and 3rd in the conference and we are disgusting ? Unbeleivable.  we have 2 bad games, which EVERY team in the league has and people pull this…..only in Montreal.

And by the way, for all of the Gomez bashers, did anyone happen to notice that the last two games when Gomez was out of the lineup we looked disjointed and lost ?  You don’t have to score a ton of points to make and impact, but those people who don’t, and have never played the game and only judge from their armchairs don’t understand that,

Not saying we are perfect, but to call a 1st place team “disgusting” is ridiculous.

140. MTLForever says:

subban isn’t gunna go anywhere.

141. sholi2000.com says:

As someone who sees Gomez in the overall picture, maybe others will finally understand that he’s an important piece of this defensive hockey puzzle.

He’s missed out there.

Nothing worse than losing to the Leafs, it’s like getting kicked in the junk by your ex-girlfriend’s girlfriend.

They Call Me Shane

142. olematelot says:

Have you ever posted anything positive?

143. adam76 says:

PK played like trash, maybe JM was right benching him

2 losses – another weak of poor play – and you can kiss the devision goodbye.

144. MTLForever says:

devision?

145. MTLForever says:

I saw a team that played sloppy overall. He had a little more of the PK we know tonight but still not playing like we know he can. I think 3 games was longer than it should’ve been. Missed Spatch and Hammer shutting things down.

146. aemarchand11 says:

No its just Adam, one of the anti-Pricers who has to find another player to attack.

2010-2011

147. adam76 says:

PK played poor last night and tonight, do you disagree?

148. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, you know, long devision …

149. HabFanSince72 says:

Has anyone else noticed how often we seem to play  back to back games? It seems more than usual. For example last week we had three days off then Detroit, Toronto in 2 days. This week we get three days off and then Philly, Boston back to back.

Not that it’s an excuse but we were sloppy yesterday, lots of icings, missed passes. With two days rest we’d have been sharper and, more importantly, Price would have played.

On another note, and I know this is sacrilege but … is anyone happy with Gionta as captain? 2-1 down in the third -  was he leading the charge?

150. J Haul says:

The schedule this season is ridiculous. Extra days off, followed by back to backs all season long. Space it out properly you idiots!

151. SmartDog says:

You raise an emperical question (or two).  How many back-to-back games do we have, how many 3 or more day lay-offs… and compared to other teams.

Re. Gionta, I thought he was leading out there, as much as anyone. I hate to say this too… but I think part of the reason it took so long to pick him is that they had a LOT of good candidates, but not the ideal candidate.  I like Gionta (though not as much as Markov and Plekanec) but he need time to grow into the role.  Pun absolutely not intended…. but there it is.

——-

152. G-Man says:

1 Question for SmartDog: how do you like Gomez now?

2 games missed- 2 losses and a 1 line team.

153. SmartDog says:

Based on two whole games with thousands of other factors. Uh….right.  I think I had you in my statistics 101 class in grad school.

Yes, Gomer’s 213th ranked Goals, 304th ranked Assists, and most of all, his 448th ranked plus-minus, are precisely what we needed to beat the Red Wings, one of the league’s two most dominant teams, and the Leafs…. without Price (not that I would EVER say Price is more important than the Great Scot Gomez) in back-to-back games.

Yep, all Gomer, all the time. That’s the ticket!

——-

154. Off-side says:

Do not, I repeat, do not repress Subban.  Let him be himself.  Sure, he needs to cool it with the talk, but all else is *him*.  It’s how HE plays.  The teams’ success will pay for this hold back.

155. SmartDog says:

I’d hate to think so but it could be too late.

As Timo says, the “Obyrnization” of Subban may have already started. Watch for him to start to talk in a sleepy voice and carry a purse.  If that happens, we need to shoot him before he infects others.

——-

156. J Haul says:

I know we didn’t score enough, but I truly believe that with Carey in net that’s a 1-1 overtime game at the very least. The goals Auld let in I can’t help but think Price would have stopped.

157. Seps says:

“This is Montreal saying we can beat you w/o Price.”

well we didn’t…    (Not that the game was Auld’s fault)   And we are still doing well so saying we are going to miss the playoffs is going a little bit overboard.

158. Hagar says:

I know we didn’t beat them. They got lucky tonight. Anyways, these games against Toronto are win/win. We can’t have Toronto tanking & giving another high pick to Boston. That would be devastating. They need some serious help getting into 9th place with that team & we gave a bit of it to them tonight. Auld has been good (I still don’t think we should consider making him our starter). We need to pick up our socks & get ready for the next game. I love watching the Leafs lose. I enjoy it w/o even being from Montreal. Everytime I hear someone say Toronto is Canada’s team or they treat it like it is, I wanna barf. Growing up in small town SK, the # of people I’ve known who cheer for American teams outnumbered Leaf fans by like 50 to 1. I think I’ve actually met only one person in my entire life who wasn’t from leaf nation that actually cheers for them. I’m gonna party hard when the Leafs hit 50 years w/o a cup. Sorry for rambling. I just had to get that off my chest.

159. habstrinifan says:

JM is surely helping P.K.’S confidence. Delve into you collective memory and find a quote from JM ‘directly complimenting’ P.K. either during last year’s playoff or earlier this season. Now he goes out of his way to single out Webber and implicitly compare him to Subban and thus say HA to Subban and the fans who root for him.

Not impressed. Especially when I see no evidence (direct from Subban’s mouth that JM has communicated with him what he wants from Subban). Time will tell. But this is becoming a very unfortunate and depressing situation.

Not much to say but let this play out. I remember JM from Ottawa and his treatment of a particular player in Ottawa during the playoffs. He is doing same here in Montreal. He has the boot now. But I think he is repeating history.

It is deflating being a habs fan now. For there is more afoul in the dressing room and team dynamics than meets the eye. But everyone, (management/pundits/fans) are operating in a cone of silence.

The season suddenly is without fun.

Team passion, fun and chemistry is not visable on the ice lately. Last nights game was over, right after the puck dropped, and we mailed it in.

Sam Polack did not sleep well last night.!

161. Bob_Sacamano says:

5-1 against the Devils, 3-1 against the Sharks, 4-1 against the Sens and a very good performance at Detroit which was only ruined by the refs. Then a tired team plays with it´s back-up goalie away from home for the second time in as many nights, loses by a goal (yes, the empy netter…) and there´s suddenly no passion, fun and chemistry? Seriously, that´s just bs.

162. ctony says:

This is not Auld bashing, but Price stops one or both of those goals.  That means we’re not playing catch up and the outcome might have been different.  It shows the importance (reliance) that this team still has on outrageous goaltending.

Goaltending can overcome coming out flat in the first period.  It can overcome sub-par scoring (17th in GF, 20th in GF per game).  It can overcome coaches who insist on using our scorers against the other team’s top lines instead of using of using defensive players like Halpern and Pyatt.

163. jimmy shaker says:

Yes, but Carey cannot play 77 games in the regular season and be expected to have enough gas to continue on in the playoffs.  Martin has to get Auld in there and made the right choice by starting him in my opinion.

Carey gets wed and thurs anyways.

Shaker

164. ctony says:

Auld has to play.  Just wondering if he gives us enough to overcome our much discussed deficiencies…

165. LA Loyalist says:

First of all, Auld has hardly played with live ammo. Yeah we may need a more experienced back up but this humiliation was not his fault.

Secondly Price playing all-moon papers over the fact that is a weirdly constructed team with holes.

Halpern is a two-way player, he’s been better on offense then the $7.35 million dollar man, I give PG credit for that (and I ripped him for not keeping Moore.)

“Using our scorers against other team’s top lines” You mean Kessel, Kessel and Kessel? Sounds like a law firm. In fact that would be fun, pick three hockey players who sound the most like lawyers.

It’s not right to let Price carry (sorry) the team like Halak did last Spring without acknowledging that their are deficiencies. We need an upgrade on Gomez, we need a big tough winger, a Craig Ludwig defencemen (with his own shinpads) and a better backup goalie – or at least let Auld Lang Syne play enough that we can see if he’s adequate.

Letting Price carry the team all year without fixing the above (if it is fixable) is going to result in a big disappointment this Spring.

Finally, the even larger concern is us mailing it in last night. That’s on the coach, it’s no secret that we’ve been coughing up fur-balls against supposedly “lower” teams.  Coaching. Preparation. Train hard, fight easy. Coach Martin should skip a practice and make them all watch “Kung Fu Panda”.

166. jimmy shaker says:

one way or another he has to be better….the kessel goal was just bad luck as he looked the wrong way, so I won’t blame him on that one, but for the kaberle goal helooked rusty and should’ve been able to make that save.  So I blame him for that goal.  But overall the game was horrible and very tough to watch.  They couldn’t pass or keep the puck or even keep the puck in the Toronto zone for an extended period of time.  So Auld can’t be to blame for that.  Flat and or tired or just no desire/passion/intensity cost us this game.  Some nights are just going to go that way.  Forget about it and move on to Wed and Thurs as these will be huge games.

Shaker

167. ctony says:

yep.  that’s what i said.

168. nfldanchor says:

Auld is not at fault , its JM messing with the lines the last few games and undermining the confidence of a star rookie and a couple of vets.  Martin is starting to steer the ship off course and he needs to get it back fast!  I wish Kovalev was back in the Habs uniform ,especially on the powerplay. He would fit in nice with some of the talent they picked up the last two yrs.

169. LA Loyalist says:

Yes, and more succinctly than I, (though Serious retains the succinct award for the time being).

But somehow on this site I feel compelled to layout the argument in excessive specificity due to offset the rigidity and delusional tendencies of certain posters who shall remain shameless.

My biggest worry is our tendency to play down to the level of the opposition, and then we act all shocked when they hand us our d*ick on a stick. Losing to the Leafs is unacceptable, they haven’t had a good team since Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark days. It’s embarassing.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

170. habstrinifan says:

This is bugging the HELL out of me I have to put it out there.

Either Subban is lying or misrepresenting or something’s weird and not RIGHT.

Bench a player all you want. You are the coach. But how do you develop the player if you DO NOT communicate with him as the coach. Subban said JM has not spoken to him re anything since the benching.

Just plain bad skills JM. We can say what we want re not affecting confidence but there is NO WAY Subban’s confidence is not at an all time low. And despite any outward appearances he must be operating in a fog. Please Please JM.. if you gonna treat him this way send him back to AHL.

You dont have to want him on your team but you should not destroy him.

171. habstrinifan says:

Listened to audio from P.K. WOW! What a deflated player? Sounds ready to be cast aside.

172. The Teacher says:

I have talked to a few people and we ALL do not understand why Price was not played against T.O. and Auld against Detroit. Gross mismanagement of goalies according to the schedule from my point of view.

173. ctony says:

no thanks kovi

174. dudurules says:

this nhl schedule is shit

175. LA Loyalist says:

The schedule is what it is. We should prepare accordingly, maybe the 2nd game (especially against a “weaker” opponent) we should play some of the younger guys more minutes. This should be a no-brainer in terms of coaching, why are we even discussing it? Most other teams have the same issues and manage to adjust. One more reason to be concerned about Count Chocula?

176. Mark C says:

Great point and it’s just what Martin did. Eller most time since the first game of the season. Benny 4th highest ice time of the season. Max had his highest ice time of the season. AK46 was around his average. Pyatt was on the low end, but given his role that is to be expected.

I know you like ripping on certain players and now it seems the coach, but can’t you spend some of your time checking facts instead of coming up with witting nicknames like Count Chocula?

177. LA Loyalist says:

Thank you. Post of the day.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

Lately was meant for last night. Very flat against a poor team, right from the start, with only a couple of sparks the total night.

179. Omit says:

Bob,

I’m glad to see that someone is making sense.  People expect the impossible – winning every game.

180. Bob_Sacamano says:

“Lately” is usually a little bit longer than one night but seriously: The team was tired as it often happens when you play two games in 27 hours. Sometimes you get off to a good start and suddenly the players find their legs, sometimes not. There´s not much you can do about that.

I personally think there are way to many back-to-back games in this league. On friday we saw a great game (that doesn´t include the refs), yesterday an icing festival between one bad and one tired team. The Leafs don´t play before tuesday, we don´t play before wednesday, so these back-to back games were really not necessary. I love watching us play on a saturday but if the schedule makers tried to avoid so many back-to-backs, they´d have my support. Playing on a sunday from time to time also wouldn´t be the worst thing in the world.

181. Habfan29 says:

Absolutley right, people need to heed Price’s advice and chill, it is a long season….

182. Chuck says:

Perhaps they should have signed Auld to a two-way contract so that he could have played for the Bulldogs on off days to keep the rust away.  :)

Centre Hice: Net result: Leafs cheating?

183. JohnBellyful says:

The function of a back-up goalie is to spell the first-stringer and to play well enough not to cost his team the game With Price in net the Habs might not have scored any more than they did with Auld in net tonight but at the very least they would have got a point if not outright victory. I don’t second-guess playing Auld, I just wonder if he might have been a bit sharper if he had had a few more games under his belt before now.

184. Fabio D says:

It’d be nice if the Habs actually showed up for the games against the lowly Leafs. Uninspired play and just flipping the puck at the net. Disappoiting and I’m with Ian on this, coaches are not doing what’s needed to ensure this team shows up for these games.

Switching channels. Blade Trinity is on Action tonight.

Only against the Habs do the Leafs look like a winner.

185. Les-Habitants says:

Desharnais called up!  I hope they play him.  It’ll be interesting to see how he handles being a top 6 center at the NHL level

Wonder if Desharness (spelling?)  is in tonight. He looked pretty good at training camp. And I believe he is playing well in Hamilton.

187. SeriousFan09 says:

We’ll know in an hour when JM names his lineup. He leads the AHL league in assists with 23 and is tied with Max Pacioretty for the team lead in points. He’s doing well for himself but size (He’s really at best, 5’6″) and he doesn’t have a top gear in his skating like Gionta makes me question his NHL-ability.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

188. BC HAB says:

I  can’t stop watching that Omark shootout goal. I wish we had him on our team. Could you imagine the crowd at the bell center if that happened there. It would be nuts. All the haters out there who are trashing Omark should get a life. This kid is good for the NHL. No need to be jealous. Embrace this kids creativity.

189. Bill J says:

In terms of what you are asking for, the Habs already have at least two of these young flashy players in MTL.

Price & Subban.

And a few more in the pipeline too…

190. gumper says:

May the force be with the wee lad.

191. Bill J says:

He’s MTL’s version of Yoda… lol

192. Chuck says:

On a down
    note, Mike Komisarek will miss the game for the Leafs, which means that
    Mike Cammalleri will have one fewer players feeding him tape-to-tape
    passes in the slot for easy goals.

Centre Hice: Net result: Leafs cheating?

193. BC HAB says:

Komisarek will be serving Cammalleri waffles after the game.

194. tigress says:

Yup, I’ve been using a similar line since it was announced Komi wasn’t playing (Oh well, Cammy will have to rely on passes from Habs this time) – they just make it so easy, don’t they?!  GO HABS GO!!!

195. rocketsglare says:

Habs-Leafs on a Saturday night. Can’t get any better. Enjoy!

196. MTLForever says:

Price better be playing or I will have to make some changes to many fantasy teams!

197. tricolore says:

Dear PK

When 5 players are in your line of fire, you can bet the shot will be blocked. Don’t take the shot but rather try to push forward to find a man.

Regards,

Larry Robinson

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

198. coachdoug says:

Have to agree…he was looking like a rookie on that play…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

199. Wops says:

Alex Auld must play. We cant afford to have a tired Price at the end of the season.

Bottom feeder, two games in two nights. Call is pretty easy

200. MTLForever says:

I say play Price…why not? We do not play until Wednesday.

201. Chuck says:

Hmmm. No word yet on the goalies, and Desharnais has been called up. You don’t suppose…? Nah, they wouldn’t put Desharnais in net.

Centre Hice: Net result: Leafs cheating?

202. Wops says:

1- No need to overuse him.

2- we are playing against a bottom feeder.

3- two games in two nights

4- Alex Auld needs to play, he has to keep a minimum of groove in case anything happens to Pricer.

203. kempie says:

The leaves don’t deserve Price.

204. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I agree, they’ll be playing Bruins and Flyers back to back next week and they’ll need him for both of those games, so give him a rest tonight and against Florida at end of month.

205. rocketsglare says:

Good point.

206. samTHEman says:

Tonight is a lesson to all that critique the Maple Leafs. Why can’t we put away a team ranked 13th? We’re 3rd, C’,mon! Martin chose to play Auld instead of Price. What a bad coaching decision. Toronto always sweat their asses to beat us and Martin plays Auld? Zzzzz…

207. Hagar says:

I’m glad we played Auld over Price. Like Healy said, “This is Montreal saying we can beat you w/o Price.” He makes it sound so disrespectful. He’d have a point. It is disrespectful. Even Montreal management is now in the game of disrespecting the leafers. I’m a huge fan of this new approach. We moved on from treating every game against them like it was game 7 for the Stanley Cup. It’s a healthy new approach to a traditional rivalry that hasn’t been much of one for years. I’m all for it. I’d do it again next game too, even though we lost this one, lol. It’s not like if the shoe was on the other foot, our feelings would be spared. After all, we made it to the ECF but are gonna miss the playoffs this year.

208. Da Hema says:

An alternative explanation is that Auld needs to play at least once in a while. I suspect that was the rationale rather than giving Price a rest or trying to insult the Toronto Maple Leafs.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

209. MTLForever says:

Sloppy play. No Spatch to play with Hammer as the shut down guys…No G-Love to actually take it through the neutral zone. I know many hate on Gomez but he does it beautifully.

210. Mattyleg says:

Can’t wait to hear everyone blaming PK’s bad play on JM.

Heh heh heh.

Let it begin!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

211. MTLForever says:

Cannot blame that game on him, sloppy by everyone.

212. terrygain says:

Your comment is an unforced error. You are not allowed to comment for the next 3 games.

213. Man Dingga says:

Total domination by GSP tonight!

214. SeriousFan09 says:

Pavel Datsyuk had a 3-point night with the Red Wings. At his current pace, he will be better than PPG on his career when this season finishes. Just a marvel with the puck, best Russian in the NHL this season.

Oh and if someone could give me a boot in the head for dropping Cleary out of my EPSN League, that’d be great.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

215. kakey says:

Subban was threatened with physical hurt because the rookie dares to display the superior skills he possess. Now Omark’s shootout goal is getting the same “rookie can’t do that” treatment. The old boys’ club mentality really trickles down all the way from the top in this league.

Food for thoughts:

If my detractors knew me better they would hate me even more.

Summary from the book “The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms”

216. bigdave says:

Some sage advice for Pierre Gauthier:

“Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays”

Sun Tzu – The Art of War

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of a Jerry Springer Show”

217. CHsam says:

Wow. I crap on Gomez often enough. But boy I do miss him… and Markov…. dang

218. LA Loyalist says:

What time is the parade again? Gee we sure missed Gomez….

219. Hagar says:

Yeah. But if it WAS done to disrespect the leafs, that would be bloody awesome. If it wasn’t done to disrespect them & wound up being percieved that way, then that’s bloody great as well

220. habsgod says:

those obr’s gave the laffs a rav tonight ! there’s no other way to describe it if i was a laffs fan i’d hide my head and wouldn’t feel good about awin that was totally handed to you by the refs!

221. terrygain says:

He was a rookie last year and this year before he sat. What you see is the result of a coach who doesn’t know how to handle young players.