Game 30: Maple Leafs take advantage of sloppy Habs

Canadiens goaltender Alex Auld made only his third start of the season Saturday night in Toronto. Dave Sandford, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game
 Quick hits
and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Alex Auld | Mike Cammalleri | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens came out flat in the opening period Saturday night, being outshot and outscored 2-0 and that was all the Maple Leafs would need in a 3-1 win. The Maple Leafs jumped out to a 2-0 first-period lead with goals from Phil Kessel and Tomas Kaberle. Kessel took advantage of a bouncing puck off the boards behind Alex Auld to slip the puck behind the Canadiens goaltender, who was caught out of position. Kaberle scored his first goal since March on an odd-man rush off a pass from Fredrik Sjostrom. The Maple Leafs outshot the Canadiens 11-4 in the first period, but were outshot 10-3 in the second period, during which the Canadiens narrowed the lead to 2-1. Michael Cammalleri scored his 10th of the season 14:38 into the period, beating Jean-Sebastien Giguere with a quick wrist shot from the high slot. Kris Versteeg completed the scoring into an empty net.
• Key Moments: Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek left the game in the first period with an upper-body injury after a fight with Clarke MacArthur, who attacked Spacek after a whistle in the Toronto zone.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost two straight and the Canadiens’ record falls to 18-10-2.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens are home for games against the Flyers and Bruins next Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. There is no game next Saturday night, with the Canadiens in Colorado for a Sunday night game on Dec. 19.

1. pmaraw says:

*cough*chris lee*cough*homegame*cough*

2. pmaraw says:

ya i agree, they need to be accountable.

3. Habs_Fan_1 says:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the NHL has regressed to, for the most part, having the refs call games in favour of the home team, for the sake of entertaining paying customers. It is no different than when Montreal plays at home. It isn’t anti-French or anti-Canadian. It has everything to do with money.

4. rocketsglare says:

So, why did you respond? What a dope.

5. pmaraw says:

11 loses out of 29?  i suppose he had zero involvement in the 18 wins?

6. Dougie says:

Astonishingly bad reffing. But Habs have to play around that. Still throwing the puck all over the place. No control. No plan of attack. Just chaos.

7. canadiens26 says:

Haha yeah, I definitely over exaggerated. Taking 5 minutes to think about it, I can recall many other games that have been worse at many different levels of hockey.

I am simply disappointed with the inconsistency of the reffing.

8. MTLForever says:

Such a slow start. Subban’s game definitely seems off since being sat and I hate it. Need to score early in the 3rd, nice shot by Cammy. Hit the net more like that and you’d be scoring like you did in the playoffs.

Brad Richards interested in Dallas, Rangers, Tampa or LA. Too bad guys.

9. pmaraw says:

9 maybe?  i dont know, all you do is complain /ignore.

10. pmaraw says:

did you see that chris lee game last year?  it has been worse.

11. pmaraw says:

okay, thats why its scoring by committee for our team.  fortunately our team has a top notch committee.

12. rocketsglare says:

I will stand corrected if Cammalleri can score the 2nd goal. LOL.

13. canadiens26 says:

I have never witnessed such an atrocious display of refereeing as I have these last two nights. What a complete joke.

14. rocketsglare says:

…. and don’t tell me we have Cammalleri or Gionta.

15. rocketsglare says:

The Habs do not have that player that can get them 2 quick goals like Pittsburgh or Washington has. It is this team’s

only weakness IMO. Management must look into upgrading this team’s power production.

16. rocketsglare says:

How many times have we seen the Habs start slowly or poorly and in the end has cost this team?

17. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Odd, I thought the players were responsible for playing the game.

18. pmaraw says:

knock on wood eh?  i fail to see your point.  dont you think if i can remember the last decade of series vs the leafs, i can remember the last 2 games as well?

19. lavie says:

It seems the new server bandwidth can only stand 20 viewers in the same time, right?

20. tricolore says:

Sorry to have offered an opinion different than yours but JM is outcoached every loss this team has. On top of it, he has affected the confidence of a young blossoming player in Subban. His pairings are wrong. You obviously believe that this team’s success is all solid. There are holes. Just like this evening, thus far, and yesterday against Detroit. Recall the second game vs Philly? Recall Nashville? Recall Atlanta? Those losses tell you the technical story that exposes the flaws. Mind you, I know they have beaten Vancouver, Boston, Philly, etc….some good teams. Know what? Wrong. Price beat those teams. Were it not for his stellar performance thus far this year, the Habs have at least 7 to 8 more losses this year.

Now, think about Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez, Pouliot, AK46, and now Subban….where is the consistency? The coach is responsible to mobilize his players and create an environment to succeed for his players. If one or two players slump, that’s one thing, 4, 5, 6, and beyond…is a coach that struggles to play and position his players in the best situations to succeed.

I think there is huge potential for the Habs this year to succeed as they did in the post season last year. I just do not see JM as the man to lead them to the promised land. I could be wrong. I want to be wrong.

Let’s hope my misinterpretation begins tonight. Let’s see the Habs come back to beat the Leafs.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

21. Ayan_SB says:

Tom Kowal is refeering the Habs game for the 2nd night in row.

22. hab_skill says:

Nobody was complainng when they were paired and playing well. It’s not JM’s fault, they just aren’t playing well.

23. observer says:

this would be their second win over the habs there this season.

Very poor coaching!!!  We were very much unprepared to compete at all tonight. This is the worst two games of hockey this year. We had one good period last night. Tonight garbage hockey, and you cant blame it all on the tender.

Now we are going to get pushed around the rest of the night. I have not been this po ed in a very long time.

I blame the coaching for not having this team ready to compete. They better get it turned around or this is going to get ugly.

25. observer says:

thats what pro sports of today have become. they make more money than they ever did? there is gambling thyat leagues are scared stiff to admit if they even knew coaches, players or refs were involved? this is todays pro sports. no-shows are common almost every night.

26. observer says:

he says he does not want subban to do everything on the ice then couples him with the worst d-man on the team which then would about force him to do it all. question is since season started lost top d-man markov and traded out obyrrne and added n0o defensemen and have lots of cap space to work a trade. picard is on this team only because of his language.

27. mike g says:

Yea, i just dont like him….

It might just be my perception, but he seems insulted that he wasnt named captain, and it looks like he pouts all the time because of it.
    And if thats true, then i believe those in the media who say hes not the best teammate and sometimes selfish..
    He really reminds me of that kid we all played hockey with. The one who would be happy after a 6-0 win, just because he didnt score…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. WindsorHab-10 says:

WTF is Jm trying to prove pairing Subban & Picard? What an idiot.

Looks like Xmas is coming early for Laffs compliments of our USELESS team. What a pathetic effort & our useless coach refuses to call a timeout. How the frick did McCarthur not get an instigator?

29. tricolore says:

Excellent point. Cammy is as predictable as an increase in taxes. He’s just not ‘there’ this year. Seems to overthink his moves….those shots would have sliced through the goalie last year….

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

30. Kimberly2u says:

Very disappointed tonight in our team…what happened since they left Detroit?  They aren’t even trying to play let alone get a shot on goal.

31. pmaraw says:

its not the end of the world if we lose a game to the leafs, every year since the lockout has been a series split if you take away extra points for ot wins.

32. pmaraw says:

are you gonna blame jm for every brain cramp a player has?  they cant all be 10 good minutes, but common, look at the success the team has had this year, give it up troll.

33. mike g says:

Is Cammalleri evet gonna deke on a breakaway??

Ive never seen a more predictable player, always tries for top corner glove side….
    Oh great, now Auld just let in a terrible waffle.

See how much Cammy’s breakaway couldve changed everything

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. oldrrty says:

Pull Auld and pull him now!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

35. tricolore says:

Not the only reason here, but Auld not ‘there’.

Subban not ‘there’. Let me say it again, ‘Nicely done again’.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

36. tricolore says:

Let’s summarize the first 10 minutes.

Cammalleri misses the net. Again….

Subban on the ice for the Habs goal and has lost his swagger. Well done Martin.

Auld no idea where the puck was.

AK46 playing like the good old days…coughing up the puck.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

37. kakey says:

I was reading the outline of the new book “The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms” and the following lines come to mind with the Subban/Richard incident:

People reserve standard compliments for those who do not threaten their pride; the others they often praise by calling “arrogant.”

If my detractors knew me better they would hate me even more.

38. oldrrty says:

What are the laffs honouring this time? And how sad is that they have to include bower in everything just so they can remember a stanley cup victory. what a joke

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

39. since1988 says:

HAHAHA great find

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

40. SmartDog says:

Awwwwww……  well thanks anyway.

41. since1988 says:

not dressing though boyd is still in

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

42. SmartDog says:

Desharnais called up.  I love it!

I love that we have guys in Hamilton who may come up and actually be something to watch.

43. SmartDog says:

I thought Finger was playing in the AHL?

Man what a mess!  LOL

44. rocketsglare says:

Great classic movie. I hope the Habs fry the Leafs tonight.

45. W35T5ID3 says:

Hey,who just about freaked out like i did when Plekanec took that hip check from Rafalski last night?He ‘s an important guy on this team!I couldnt see this team sustaining its great level of play  if pleks were to have gotten injured on  that play.PHEW!What a relief.Hes alright.

46. W35T5ID3 says:

I was listening to that HockeyCentral show on i think wednesday or thursday.You know…the one with that dick kypreos and shmug mclean…..Anywho…they were talking about possible trabe destinations for Kaberle and they said maybe MTL would be in the market for a off. D man.And that kaberle would more than likely wave his no trade clause.BUT..the most hilarious of all is that those two idiots mclean and kypreos think that burke would be able to pry eller for kaberle….LOL…lmao…as if!!!Kaberle/…..ufa after this year …34yrs old….NAH.Eller ….wayyyyyy  younger ….great potential….Besides who in the hell wants Torontos crap players?They suck!!

47. A. Berke says:

Mike Komisarek will not play after injuring a finger earlier this week in a game against Pittsburgh.

Was this a result of one his famous fights that he keeps winning?

Go Habs Go (please don’t muck it up because the laffs are bottom feeders).

Ali B.

48. MTLForever says:

alex auld is in says the canadiens twitter

49. Pieboy says:

Delighted to see Deharnais given a shot. Small but talented, and works hard. I hope he’ll be given a few games to adjust to the big league.

50. JohnBellyful says:

Just finished watching one of the great sci-fi movies of all time  — The Thing (From Outer Space). The screen credits said James Arness played the title role but I’m pretty sure it was Dion Phaneuf. And I swear on a stack of waffles that Phaneuf was also the Frankenstein monster. You take a close look tonight, imagine a pair of electrodes on his neck, and tell me I’m wrong.

51. Mattyleg says: