Game 3: Canadiens get burned by Flames

CareyPrice

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, Quick Hits, About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: The Canadiens raised the curtain on the home portion of their schedule Thursday night, but it was hardly a stellar debut performance before Bell Centre fans in 2011-12.

Things started well for the Canadiens, who got a goal from Andrei Kostitsyn only 1:47 in when he collected a rebound off a Max Pacioretty shot that went off the boards behind Miikka Kiprusoff.

But the Flames stormed back with three goals before the first period was over, including two on the power play.

Rene Bourque tied the game 1-1 at the 7:15 mark on a screened shot that eluded Carey Price, who was in search of his 100th career win.

A little over four minutes later, Niklas Hagman made it 2-1 and David Moss doubled the lead at 14:54.

The Flames scored the only goal in the second period, with Bourque adding his second of the game after some sloppy play by the Canadiens in their defensive zone.

• Keys moments: Montreal was 0-for-4 with the power play, while the Flames scored on two of their four opportunities.

• What It Means: Montreal continues its dismal record in home openers at the Bell Centre, winners of only four since the arena opened.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens continue their three-game homestand on Saturday with a visit by the Colorado Avalanche and welcome the Buffalo Sabres to town next Tuesday.

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

2. --Habs-- says:

My wife was a way on a girls weekend this past weekend leaving me with the the baby! She get home Sunday evening, middle of the Habs / Jets game and the baby crying in her room! She asks why the baby’s crying in the middle of the Habs scoring their 3rd goal. I said I don’t know! She goes off to take care of the baby and returns a few minutes later, as the Habs are scoring the 4 th goal and she asks with an annoyed voice! Didn’t you ever change the baby’s diaper this weekend? I looked at her and said! The package said 2 years or 20 lbs! Needless to say chances are she won’t be going away on girls weekends without the baby!

3. habsrock_3 says:

Emelin/Webber…….ouch. hope they don’t Foooooooook up

4. cuzzie says:

So 24% of us want the CBC to keep Mr laff lover. C’mon guys! Gimme a break!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bripro says:

That would be the Laffs’ fans, no?

• cuzzie says:

They are both a joke and deserve each other. Put him on sportsnet so that way only Ontario viewers can see him. Another laff lover network.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Sal says:

You got that right, Sports Net almost as shameless Laff lovers, as CBC. No journalistic integrity at all. Does anyone know who TSN’s Bob MacKensie cheers for? Now he’s a pro.

Sal from the Hammer

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Keeping him on the air until he croaks is keeping a little more in the Canada pension pot for you and I. Do what most of us do and don’t pay attention.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• cuzzie says:

I do not watch CBC, but I also don’t live on Mars.with all this stuff in the print, radio and tv media. I was just hoping they would finally get rid of the buffoon. ESPN it is not!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

5. Dave Kellerman says:

The new kid in town.

Are you a PK’ist?

John Lu tweeted earlier D Pairings
    PK/Gill
    Gorges/Diaz
    Emelin/Weber

7. deuce6 says:

It’s easy to forget that Price is only 24 years of age..The kid is the best positional goal tender I have ever seen..Even more so than Roy…

On a side note, I play Slo-Pitch in the summer and a buddy of mine (teammate), a Hawks fan, bet me $500.00 that Carey Price would never win a cup in MTL…I took it, without flinching..It’s just a matter of time, IMO..

He will get his 100th win tonight, at home, in front of the best hockey fans on the planet…

Fantasy hockey sleeper alert: Yanic Weber…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

8. Martin on Fan590/Hockey Central this afternoon.

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

• Jordio-oh says:

People should listen to this. I posted the following message with regards to Martin segment on the other thread right before this thread was created:

“I’m currently listening to Hockey Central on Fan590 radio and Jacques Martin is a guest and I can’t think of two men who love each other more than Martin and Doug MacLean. JM can’t get through a sentence without giggling because of Mac’s jokes. It’s so unbelievably odd to hear him happy and it only ever happens when he’s a guest on Hockey Central when MacLean is hosting. Telling old stories when they used to work together. It’s actually very amusing and pretty strange.

You’ll never hear a more candid interview with Martin than when you listen to him on Hockey Central.”

• Lazarus_taxa says:

I agree, that was a great interview! The French media is pretty uptight and probably dissect every word and sentence he says. If you notice, he has a lot more personality when he is speaking in english in general. Great to hear him be himself!

• cuzzie says:

It’s ok to go on Toronto radio but not Montreal?

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

9. Feraco says:

Look for Kipper to be traded to Tampa, Florida, New Jersey or the Islanders by season’s end.

Molson Ex mon ami

10. tote-road says:

She won’t like it, of course, but it is important that you teach your son not to suffer such an indignity without a reaction and to be a man who will not compromise his principles.

Endure and persevere my friend, you are an inspiration to us all.

11. GoalieT says:

So, my wife comes home with some new pajamas for my 8 year old (who likes the Habs, but by no means is a DIE HARD like me). What’s on the pajamas, you ask? It’s every jersey of all the Canadian hockey teams (minus the Jets).
    I crinkle my nose. My wife says, “What’s wrong?”. I slowly point at my son’s chest at the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS jersey nestled between my Habs and the Oilers. She says, “Oh, please. Give it up!”
    Weeks go by. I am disgusted every time I look at that pajama shirt when I put my kids to bed.
    Soooooo…..one day my kids are getting their pajamas on and my 8 year old has this pajama shirt come up in his rotation again. My wife is working late, so she’s not home.
    I say to my boy, “Avery? Do you like this?” as I’m pointing at the Toronto Maple Leaf picture of a jersey.
    He loudly proclaims, “NO!”
    So, I tell him….”Go get me the big black marker,” and I proceed to COMPLETELY cover up the Maple Leafs jersey off his shirt. I looked up at him and we shared the same satisfied smile.

“Society Of Uncompromising Gentleman” moment, or what?

Ultimate Die-Hard Fan Since 1986.

T.

• Chrisadiens says:

Hehe, nice story.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• kempie says:

- S L O W C L A P –

Well done indeed Sir.

• flowerpower_74 says:

CLAP….CLAP….CLAP…..(with cigar in mouth)….lol

Team Defence wins Championships…

• avatar_58 says:

Atta boy

• classic! +1

———-
      hip-check!

• Bripro says:

Very ingenious.
      My wife usually buys me clothes, because I don’t like spending money.
      What’s wrong with cheese cloth?
      Anyhow, she bought my grandson a bruins’ pyjama because it was on sale, and his mother likes the Bruins.
      So, like you, with no one around, I decided to do the laundry.
      She had purchased a bright red table cloth that was going to be used at Christmas.
      I decided to wash it for her, and didn’t notice (yuka yuka) that the pyjama was wrapped up in it.
      The Bruins look better in bright pink.

Welcome to the Wiserhood indeed.

• sprague cleghorn says:

Let me tell you a similar story involving me and my then 8-year-old boy. We are fated to live in Toronto, but are total Habs fans. One day he goes to a birthday party and the “loot-bag” gift at the end is a Leafs t-shirt. He looks at me with a horrified expression but sucks it up and thanks his hosts. “Don’t throw it away”, I tell him, “you never know when you might have to tar a roof or clean a toilet”.

A few months go by. The Leafs are in the play-offs — that will tell you how long ago this happened. Anyway, my son’s odious school principal organizes “Blue and White Day”, where everyone is supposed to wear Leafs gear. A giant group photo will be taken to send to the “Buds” to wish them luck in the playoffs. So my son wears the t-shirt he got. The photo is snapped, and when it’s printed, there he is, front and center, lifting up his blue and white rag to reveal the glorious bleu-blanc-rouge he wore underneath. All on his own initiative. Never been so proud.

And the Leafs haven’t been in the playoffs since.

Enjoy the home opener one and all!

• Chester says:

Nice …. but why doesn’t the wife understand?
      My sister in law lives in ontario and when the kids were young was always sending that bag of hand me downs which included the mandatory Leaves sweatshirts Tshirts PJ’s etc. They all went immediately and enthusiastically in the garbage. My kids learned right away what was the proper gear. My wife just gets out of the way.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Nicely done fella! I taught my daughter at way too young an age to cheer when I pointed at a Canadiens symbol and spit when I pointed to a Laughs symbol. This evolved to when I said Canadiens or Maple Leafs when she got a little older. It all backfired when her great grandfather visited from Vancouver just after the Olympics. She wouldn’t wear the team Canada hockey shirt he brought because of the Maple Leaf on the front. Hid in the corner for a long time, then took the shirt and threw it behind the couch…… Only mildly embarrassing…….

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

12. habaholic68NJ says:

Some said it was impossible but I am in town for a business trip and just scored two tickets in section 107 row T seat 8 without having to give up my first born. This will be my first opener at the BC though I attended many at the Forum before I moved down south 25years ago. Fellow posters, feel free to stop by and say hi. I can also use advise for where to go after the game (gentlemen’s club that is).

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• bobbrouse says:

hey great seats. welcome back! oh i have no idea a mens club? gee umm(someones watching me type);-) i hear theres things on peel street? but i could be way wrong of course as i have no idea…..

13. Mattyleg says:

Here’s a question for the Commentariat:

Does anyone else think that the ‘dropping down on your knees’ style of goaltending is proving not very effective anymore?

I’ve watched pretty much all of the goals scored this season, and I’ve noticed that NOBODY shoots the puck along the ice. All goals scored from ‘shots’ (i.e. not an in-close deke) have been top-shelf.
    Meanwhile, the goalies are dutifully dropping to their knees, and catching a glimpse of the puck zipping over their shoulder.

Why the reliance on knees-goaling?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Da Hema says:

I was never a goalie, but it does seem to me the tactic is based on the volume of screened shots goalies face. With four asses parked in your face, the instinct to drop makes some sense.

• bobbrouse says:

hi
        i dont know how to do anything but reply. i was a goalie,
        the principle reason goalies do this,is for screens yes, but more importantly almost always, if theres a rebound they are down low to cover it up. the idea is by the end of the game your glove is as heavy as a brick ,so ultimately good goalie coaches teach the kids to use as little energy as possible for every movement. this is what proulx teaches my son now. as well there is different styles
        still in the league. so if you have long pads get down and across quickly, if short move out and puff up like marty, or steve mason who has long arms and short legs ,so he plays a reverse vector. the best goalies play an extremely tailored style. something like a big flashy save like thomas means hes caught out of position but because hes so athl;etic he can make the play. where a guy like price can put you to sleep with his outstanding positional play. go habs.

• Bripro says:

I would argue the only reason you don’t find goal stats from shots down low is because the butterfly is effective. And shots upstairs are certainly more effective on smaller goalies. Price certainly has the upper range pretty well blocked.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not sure I agree.
        I wasn’t looking at stats, I was looking at tv.
        And Luongo is a big goalie, and he’s let in his fair share over the shoulder. You have to be pretty big to cover the top part of the net with your shoulders while kneeling. Pretty damn big.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

4 feet tall, on your knees.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mattyleg says:

Ha! I love the image.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I was just stating that the goal is 4 feet tall, but I guess there can be other connotations associated with my previous post.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mattyleg says:

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter!
            ;)
            But I was just laughing, wondering how tall a person who is 4 feet on his knees would be. How long are average legs?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Apparently : Short is 29 inches inside leg reg is 31 and long is 33 .
            Also found this : Average leg length is 45% of the total height

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mattyleg says:

Sooooo we’re talking about a goalie coming in at just under 10 feet.
            Four feet to crossbar, plus another foot for head and neck, times two…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

But that’s on the knees, so it is not exactly 45% that you take out, probably around 25% considering the pads might add an inch or two.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bripro says:

Yes, but now you’re talking about Luongo specifically. That glove shot last night, he should have caught.
          He’s on the decline I find. There are others here who mentioned earlier that he should be sent back to Florida.
          He’s still a good goalie and I doubt the Canucks would trade him, but he’s a little slower.
          A young goalie like Price or Pekka Rinne would have caught that.
          Their ability to cover the net, even when down, is pretty amazing.

• Mattyleg says:

For sure.
            Lou looks pretty creaky. Almost feel bad for him!
            But I’m also talking about many of the other goals I’ve seen on the highlight reels since the start of the season.
            I was using Luongo here as an example of how a tall goalie can’t cover the top of the net with his shoulders.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• avatar_58 says:

It’s because of the quality of curved lightweight sticks. Even a crappy player can aim where he chooses now

• RGM says:

If all the goals that are being scored are top-shelf only, and the average SV% in the NHL is around .900, wouldn’t that mean that the butterfly style is by and large super-effective?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Mattyleg says:

IF all the goals are being scored top-shelf only.
        But that argument is a tautology in supposing that there are only two types of shot.
        Many shots are taken directly into the body of the goalie, into the glove, etc etc.
        I’m talking about looking at where players are shooting now -upstairs- because it’s predictable that the goalie will drop to his knees. Shouldn’t a more upstanding goalie be more effective?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• TINMAN17 says:

Maybe goalie coaches at very low levels of hockey believe arms react faster than legs. I don’t know for sure, just thinking outside the box.
          Take away as much of the bottom and let the upper body do the rest?

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• bobbrouse says:

hi there
          most of the goals are scored low along the ice. the style that loooo used to play was a half crouch but ahem he got lazy. now he goes right down and counts on total coverage of the net. not good. he should be coached to go back to the low crouch ,its a killer on a long back though,dryden play the same stance. best goalie right now who doesnt get beat over his shoulder…price and bryzgalov. what a steal for the flyers;-). incredible. but getting back on message most goals are scored in down low in a scrum type thing.

• bobbrouse says:

butterfly saved the old timers because of curved sticks i think.

Price has the advantage of being so tall, along with the fact he technically knows how to get across the crease so quickly even in butterfly.

Does drive me nuts watching all these goalies going down so soon. But it has become a pure statistical style. More shots stopped.

• Bripro says:

You’re probably old enough to have watched pre-St.Patrick goaltending like me. But you have to admit, when shots are coming in at 180 MPH (+/-), you’ve gotta be more technically sound then when goalies always stood up.
        It’s not the same game anymore.

I have images in my head right now remembering Palmateer flopping all over God’s Green Acres making save which now would be so routine.

• Mattyleg says:

…and Gretzky just skating around goalies that were 15 feet out of their nets, and putting the puck in the empty cage.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg says:

You’re right. But a goalie can only cover the same percentage of the net, regardless of his position. If most players are shooting high, he should keep his body high, and his glove high.
          Logically speaking.
          When the puck is around the net, then it makes sense to play lower to the ice -the odds of getting a puck high from in close under checking are much lower.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• many nhl scouters have said they look for butterfly goalies because they estimated that the majority of shots are shot low. also, if done well, this position does allow you to see a little better (as mentionned by Da Hema) when being screened (depending on the size of the goalie). but mainly, it’s a numbers game. you have to take into account all shots on goal, not just the ones that go through to get an idea of percentage.

hip-check!

For how much longer does Kiprusoff get to maintain the reputation as one of the best goalies in the league? I recognize when he took that team to the Cup Final he may have been the best in the league. But hasn’t he started to drop off quite a bit?

• Chrisadiens says:

I agree. After the Cup Final, Kipper has been in a steady decline. It probably doesn’t help that Calgary’s defense is pretty bad, but I just don’t see those flashy saves from him like I used to.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Mattyleg says:

…or Luongo for that matter.
      Watched bits of the game last night.
      Maaaaaaan, did he look shaky.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabsFan1111 says:

I spent some time out West and can offer some insight

Kipper’s stats are misleading. He is 50% of the reason this team does not finish DEAD last every year. He’s definitely still got it and he’s got a few good years left in the tank I would say … BUT … 3-4 years from now, the fLames are going to be in rough shape if they don’t seriously consider dealing one, if not both, of their lifelines.

15. secretdragonfly says:

Am I missing something? Any reason why the pic is showing Carey making a save on Chad LaRose rather than a Calgary Flames player?

16. STLHabsFan says:

I need to start up the laptop early and find a good, free stream tonight. Does anyone know if the pre-game ceremonies start at 7:30 or earlier? Merci de Saint Louis.

17. CanadienBoy says:

I can not help to think management know all along he was still not ready and give him a long term contract anyway and then turn around and give Gorge only 1 year because of his injurys ,this one guy that could be and was considered captain material

18. Danno says:

Is it part of the re-Hab process to ski before you start skating?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

19. Mattyleg says:

Know what’s weird?
    I saw a guy sitting outside here in Montreal wearing a blue Maple Leafs t-shirt.
    Under the t-shirt is says: SUCK

…Is it me, or is that really dumb? I mean, you’re still essentially wearing a Leafs shirt.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. shiram says:

Ok so news on Markov for real this time.

Translate some good bits : Good news for Markov, no further surgery needed. The results from his doctor visit should come out during week-end.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bripro says:

Thanks for the link shiram.
      I see the Habs have another injury.
      Cunneyworth (upper body).

• shiram says:

Saw this on hfboards too :
        Jaques Martin on Hockeycentral says Markov should be skating again this week and he hopes he’ll be ready to rejoin the team around the end of this month.

I’m still setting my hopes of a Markov return around mid season, just in case…

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• AK_PK_Usay says:

AWESSSOOOOMMMEEEEEEEEEE!

I hope he takes his time, looking at the size of his calves (from airport pic) he’s still in great shape so no need to rush, getting him for december would be great already, i think our team will be in a playoff seat before he comes back and he will give us the boost.

• J_P says:

“No further surgery required” is probably the least encouraging thing we could here. You mean there was a chance he would have required another surgery?!

I was a huge advocate of the habs re-signing markov, but I didnt think his health situation was THIS bad. When he went down again last year, I thought he was supposed to be ready for the start of this season.

Not encouraging at all.

21. HABZ24 says:

a few key injuries, need others to step it up big time, listening gomer? prediction: habs win 3-1

GO HABS GO