Game 3: Canadiens blow fuse vs. Lightning

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges gets tangled with Lightning’s Simon Gagné, pushing him into Carey Price Wednesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta

• At a Glance: Despite a suberb game from Carey Price in nets, the Tampa Bay Lightning spoiled the Canadiens home opener on Wednesday night with a 4-3 overtime win.
Ryan Malone scored the winning goal in the final minute of the extra perior after playing a key role in the goal that forced overtime in the final two minutes of the third period.
Things had started off well for the Canadiens, who took a a 2-0 lead over the Lightning in the first period on goals by Maxim Lapierre and Tomas Plekanec.
Lapierre scored after some good work on the forecheck by the third line. Lapierre’s shot eluded Lightning goaltender Mike Smith.
Plekanec made it 2-0 when he scored into an empty net after Smith was lured out of position by Michael Cammalleri.|
Brett Clark scored a power-play goal for the Lightning in the second period to narrow the lead to 2-1.
Martin St. Louis tied the game 2-2 10:54 into the third period after the Canadiens failed to get the puck out of their zone on several tries.
Thankfully for the Canadiens, Plekanec broke into the Tampa Bay zone and flipped a pass to Andrei Kostistyn, who deked Smith for a 3-2 lead only 31 seconds after the St. Louis goal.
With PK Subban in the box in the final two minutes of regulation, Steven Stamkos tied the game 3-3 with 1:19 to play seconds after it appeared that Ryan Malone had tripped Dustin Boyd in the slot.
Price, who was coming off a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday night, made 43 stops as the Canadiens were dominated on the shot clock by a margin of 47 to 27.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens lack of discipline cost them as the Lightning were able to score two goals on the power play, while Montreal was blanked on three chances with the man advantage.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record drops to 1-1-1 after three games in the 2010-11 season.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are off to Buffalo to face the Sabres on Friday night and return home to welcome the Ottawa Senators to town on Saturday night.

1. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Apparently the opening ceremonies start at 7:30 and the puck drops at 7:50

2. LA Loyalist says:

+ Subban, unquestionably a stud in the making

0 Eller, unknown, jury on vacay until Christmas

? Pouliot – a complete mystery wrapped in an enigma (though an entirely justifiable trade, one head case for another)

- Moore – proven playoff performer

- Sergei, which is a +

? Andrei – let’s hope a +

+ Halpern – basically trying to replace moore for less $ — may offset Moore somewhat if he stays healthy

- Halak – proven playoff performer

… and of course the man in the spotlight: Carey Price. So far batting .500 with live ammo, seeing as we’ve agreed that the pre-season doesn’t count if you lose.

“…and if Martin stumbles we can always bring up that hot young coach from Hamilton, Boucher… OH CRAP!

3. Ron in Ottawa says:

I’ve said it before- I’ll say it again. So many fans and so much of the media are misplacing their anger onto Price. He didn’t ask to stay- it was managment and the coaches who chose to trade Halak without even negotiating with him. If you are that angry at managment’s decsion- go on strike. Don’t buy tickets. Stay away from the Bell Centre.

But no that would be sacrilige: not go to the game and boo the young goalie who you wish had been traded?

I love the Habs but sometimes i hate the habs fans who are so shallow.

4. adam76 says:

Thanks brother.

5. Rudy says:

So game starts at 7:30, does that mean that player introductions and all that start at 7pm? I’m probably not going to get the feed on NHL Center Ice until the game starts. I hope someone puts up the pre game stuff on YouTube.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

6. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe you can get reconstituted…

(we probably shouldn’t encourage each other or the death threats will begin)

7. Everlasting1 says:

That’s putting it delicately..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

8. adam76 says:

Somehow – without your validation, I will sleep well tonight.

As many have identified, you have this ability to drag people into pi$$ing contests.  If you care to review all your exchanges, you will see that you are the one who always starts with the mudslinging.

You have two choices – continue on insulting everyone who disagrees with you, or debate hockey with the same respect you would face to face. I have done my fair share of mudslinging, but am trying to improve.

9. habfan53 says:

No Cammelari

10. Everlasting1 says:

Sez a Price-alot..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

11. fbkj says:

explain, please back this up!

12. Everlasting1 says:

..from someone who doesn’t understand french. Perhaps you should stay out of this one.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

13. soflohabsfan says:

Just scored tickets to the game my father in law came through I can’t wait it’s been 3 years since I have been to the bell. Guess this trip to Montreal was worth it.

14. fbkj says:

well evolving is a good thing and giving the kid 25 games is a nice change from wanting his head in pre-season

good on you

15. adam76 says:

Seems like many users have issues with Toms “style”

16. boneheadslanger33 says:

You are sir-Lurks-alot

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh man, Subban got you too!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. fbkj says:

~I back up everything I say~

dude you dont back up ANYTHING you say

19. andrewberkshire says:

Have a good run, I’m jealous that I can’t do the same. Fricking tendon…

20. Everlasting1 says:

Who’s anonymous?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

21. HFX-HabFan says:

Maybe you’d have more fun going on a Laughs fan site and getting all their fans riled up?  But then the optimists might “bully” you there, too….

22. adam76 says:

Sadly – I only have an undergrad:(  Maybe I should go back to school – I just got fired from my job at the OJ factory, I just could not concentrate.

23. adam76 says:

Little different for goalies.  Goalies can not allow a non NHL caliber goal per game and hope to have success. Price did this last season for most games.  Its the reason why the team played different in front of him and the reason for almost a goal a game less in scoring.

Anyway – Price is .500.  The first 20 to 25 games will tell us the story.  I hope he can excel (regardless what anyone says/thinks).

24. Chuck says:

If you’re going to call someone out, then at least have the grapefruits to not do it anonymously.

25. LA Loyalist says:

Then he’d be a “post” graduate.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

26. JD_ says:

I hear Scotty Bowman runs a pretty tight ship.

He must have a discussion forum, no?

27. Everlasting1 says:

I back up everything I say. I called you out on that before. Don’t deny that disappearance, it was quite obvious. And don’t pretend to not know who I am.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

28. rocketsglare says:

How about 2?

29. Bugs says:

What is this, a big mystery the Kid didn’t know about heading into this career?

C’mon.

Decadently yours, I recline as

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh Man, this is awesome, DGB/Bloge Salming have Leafs deliver Seasons Tickets.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. TomNickle says:

You prove to me that I disappeared during last year’s playoff run and why I would need to speak with tourists and we can discuss things Habs in a civilized manner.

Until then, Everlasting one, I really don’t have anything to say in response to your fabrications.

32. Everlasting1 says:

Diggin’ for irrelevent dirt?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

33. boneheadslanger33 says:

I wrote that before you justified your trucker comments, my apologies, I didn’t realize that Cindyhab jackasss had trucker listed.

34. TomNickle says:

You have said that I disappeared during last year’s playoff run.

You also said that I should speak to tourists.

When you start to make sense, we can discuss things amicably.

35. Everlasting1 says:

Superfans doesn’t equate to super judgement.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

36. TomNickle says:

Not sure why you thought that was an idiotic exchange.

37. TomNickle says:

I don’t think you guys were in agreement with me that Henry is better than O’Byrne or that the Stanley Cup Winner should get the first overall pick of the draft.

But I digress.  Going for a run, enjoy your afternoon and I’m sure we’ll team up to bully people around 10pm!

;)

38. habfan53 says:

Don’t forget when the forwards cough it up they have the defence AND the goalie to cover up. Obviously the defence stills has the goalie but when Price lets in a softy or even a great goal he stands alone .

It’s like a pitcher in Baseball or a quaterback in football .  ALL three get to much credit when the TEAM wins and to much blame when they lose.

39. jimmy shaker says:

Gio upstaged our old pal Saku right there…..great to see but I would’ve loved to hear the passion and the heart of Lacroix yelling out the names.  Still love ya Saku!  And when did Dustin Boyd’s brother Justin get signed?  Anyhow, I hope there were no BOO’s involved when Carey’s name was introduced, (not sure what they were cheering) and so far a great opening period, great feed by Cami, just awesome.  Keep it up boy’s.  And stay away from T-bay’s PP.  What a 5 man unit they can throw on the ice.  When Ohlund comes back, that PP should be on top of the league…even with Kubina there they should be top 3 at least!

Shaker

40. RGM says:

*phew* That’s good, easier to scroll past a giant lump than several little blobs.

41. boneheadslanger33 says:

Sorry for what?

42. RGM says:

That’s what she said.

43. Skotbot says:

glad you caught it, I didnt want to point it out and be the annoying guy that points out all mistakes.

(i already did that earlier today for “sun” “son”)

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

44. Everlasting1 says:

You should realize by now TomNickel resorts to character assassination when confronted by a strong argument. A bully implies intimidation. He’s hardly that. Neither is his clique.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

45. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry?

46. Chuck says:

No, not more posts. I’d be fine with him putting it all in one post. :)

47. SeriousFan09 says:

The optimists rule the site, I must have missed the two months after the Halak deal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. RGM says:

Wings yet, OT no. 5-1.

49. habfan53 says:

I still don’t see the scoring depth our 3rd and 4th lines (Boyd, Darche, Halpern, Lapierre, Moen and Pyatt) combined for 42 goals last year.

On defence you have Subban in for MAB and Dagenais (occasional) big improvement, Hopefully Markov won’t miss 39 games

50. andrewberkshire says:

Not to mention we get accused of never disagreeing on anything, and basically parroting each others comments while bullying anyone who disagrees. This site is so crazy sometimes.

51. RGM says:

That’s a terrible idea – do you really want more posts by him?

52. Gormdog says:

Boyd – you heard it here first….

or not…

Who knows anymore?

53. Chuck says:

EVERY player has at least one brain fart per game. I’ll expect to hear your criticism of every player later tonight, then?

54. SLONCOLD says:

i’ll say our 3rd and fourth lines are better than they were last year. once again it depends what you want from those lines as well. but i don’t think the 3rd and fourth lines are going to make us a 5-5 scoring machine either.

our top guns have to produce along side with the PP.

55. TomNickle says:

You’re telling me that I act like a jerk when you do nothing but insult a person you’ve never met both on a personal and professional level.

You even go to further extremes and accuse them of alcohol abuse and depression.

But yeah, I’m the jerk.

I’m not taking this any further Adam.  The people on this site who I respect have none for you, that says quite a bit to me.

56. RJB says:

From everything I read today, including this one, its going to be really tough picking the most ridiculous post of the day!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

57. TomNickle says:

Whatever idiot!  You’re stupid, I don’t need you.

Are you saying that we disagreed and didn’t insult each other?

Weird, that’s what we seem to be accused of on a weekly basis.

58. adam76 says:

Great post – the next 20 games will tell the story.  Price is a lighting rod, but deserves it for his inconsistent play.  You can not have, on average, a brain fart per game without criticism.

59. Chuck says:

Sometimes you’ve got to have a thick skin around here. Call it a character builder.

60. jimmy shaker says:

Can’t eat at all….too nervous/excited/animated…….and I need to be ready to yell at the telly for the shite calls the stripes usually make.

Shaker

61. TomNickle says:

That person had that they were a truck driver listed on their profile and has changed it since.

62. adam76 says:

So your argument is that you DO act like an as$hole, but its justified because outers do as well?  Did you maybe consider they are just tossing back insults after you started in on them?

Something to think about.

63. andrewberkshire says:

You got kicked out of the posse for disagreeing with me the other day, now we’re going to start bullying you too! Mwahaha!

64. TheDagger says:

Why would you assume truck driver? Why not a doctor? They often work long hours and don’t have the chance to read hockey posts. But I guess they don’t have a very blurry view on life, only someone with a profession such as a truck driver.

65. boneheadslanger33 says:

Are you sure you don’t mean idiotic exchange?

66. TomNickle says:

You guys are bullying again.

Did you have a conference call this morning or something?

Why didn’t I get an email about it?

67. surprise says:

lol Darsh..

no.. but we could have found local leadership.

not saying anyone on the team right now but there should have been more of an effort to find a proper captain.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty much what Andrew said, the bottom 6 is so much better than compared to what we had at the start of last year, everyone on those lines is hungry for ice time and is playing for the team. Subban offers a huge improvement to the transition game and once Markov is back the team will be able to really take over with play from the back end.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. fbkj says:

why do i put d’s in pigeons :(

70. boneheadslanger33 says:

Did you not say “I hate fans who see things picture-perfectand I’ve already had this one poster criticize me because I picked the Habs to lose? Seems to me you don’t like people being positive about their favorite hockey team, which seems odd on a fan webpage such as this one.

Furthermore more you also said “I’ve been lurking the site for years” which makes you a creepy, filthy, dirty lurker. If this is not what you meant then perhaps you should learn to write Lurkey

71. Skotbot says:

even pigeons dont eat that crap..

72. Danno says:

Jet-puffed marshmallows and peach shnapps

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

73. SeriousFan09 says:

And now a rebuttal…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. CBrady12 says:

Cindy ? Cindy Crosby? Is that you? I know you are upset the Canadiens beat your whiny ass again on saturday but COMMON you don’t have to take it out on us.

75. TomNickle says:

Yes I’ve insulted you again.  I’m sorry Adam.

You do absolutely nothing to incite insulting responses and you are the model of innocence on this website.

Everyone should just leave you alone because it isn’t like you’re looking for attention.