Game 3: Canadiens blow fuse vs. Lightning

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges gets tangled with Lightning’s Simon Gagné, pushing him into Carey Price Wednesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta

• At a Glance: Despite a suberb game from Carey Price in nets, the Tampa Bay Lightning spoiled the Canadiens home opener on Wednesday night with a 4-3 overtime win.
Ryan Malone scored the winning goal in the final minute of the extra perior after playing a key role in the goal that forced overtime in the final two minutes of the third period.
Things had started off well for the Canadiens, who took a a 2-0 lead over the Lightning in the first period on goals by Maxim Lapierre and Tomas Plekanec.
Lapierre scored after some good work on the forecheck by the third line. Lapierre’s shot eluded Lightning goaltender Mike Smith.
Plekanec made it 2-0 when he scored into an empty net after Smith was lured out of position by Michael Cammalleri.|
Brett Clark scored a power-play goal for the Lightning in the second period to narrow the lead to 2-1.
Martin St. Louis tied the game 2-2 10:54 into the third period after the Canadiens failed to get the puck out of their zone on several tries.
Thankfully for the Canadiens, Plekanec broke into the Tampa Bay zone and flipped a pass to Andrei Kostistyn, who deked Smith for a 3-2 lead only 31 seconds after the St. Louis goal.
With PK Subban in the box in the final two minutes of regulation, Steven Stamkos tied the game 3-3 with 1:19 to play seconds after it appeared that Ryan Malone had tripped Dustin Boyd in the slot.
Price, who was coming off a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday night, made 43 stops as the Canadiens were dominated on the shot clock by a margin of 47 to 27.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens lack of discipline cost them as the Lightning were able to score two goals on the power play, while Montreal was blanked on three chances with the man advantage.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record drops to 1-1-1 after three games in the 2010-11 season.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are off to Buffalo to face the Sabres on Friday night and return home to welcome the Ottawa Senators to town on Saturday night.

1. HFX-HabFan says:

Maybe you’d have more fun going on a Laughs fan site and getting all their fans riled up?  But then the optimists might “bully” you there, too….

2. adam76 says:

Sadly – I only have an undergrad:(  Maybe I should go back to school – I just got fired from my job at the OJ factory, I just could not concentrate.

3. adam76 says:

Little different for goalies.  Goalies can not allow a non NHL caliber goal per game and hope to have success. Price did this last season for most games.  Its the reason why the team played different in front of him and the reason for almost a goal a game less in scoring.

Anyway – Price is .500.  The first 20 to 25 games will tell us the story.  I hope he can excel (regardless what anyone says/thinks).

4. Chuck says:

If you’re going to call someone out, then at least have the grapefruits to not do it anonymously.

5. LA Loyalist says:

Then he’d be a “post” graduate.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

6. JD_ says:

I hear Scotty Bowman runs a pretty tight ship.

He must have a discussion forum, no?

7. Everlasting1 says:

I back up everything I say. I called you out on that before. Don’t deny that disappearance, it was quite obvious. And don’t pretend to not know who I am.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

8. rocketsglare says:

How about 2?

9. Bugs says:

What is this, a big mystery the Kid didn’t know about heading into this career?

C’mon.

Decadently yours, I recline as

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh Man, this is awesome, DGB/Bloge Salming have Leafs deliver Seasons Tickets.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. TomNickle says:

You prove to me that I disappeared during last year’s playoff run and why I would need to speak with tourists and we can discuss things Habs in a civilized manner.

Until then, Everlasting one, I really don’t have anything to say in response to your fabrications.

12. Everlasting1 says:

Diggin’ for irrelevent dirt?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

13. boneheadslanger33 says:

I wrote that before you justified your trucker comments, my apologies, I didn’t realize that Cindyhab jackasss had trucker listed.

14. TomNickle says:

You have said that I disappeared during last year’s playoff run.

You also said that I should speak to tourists.

When you start to make sense, we can discuss things amicably.

15. Everlasting1 says:

Superfans doesn’t equate to super judgement.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. TomNickle says:

Not sure why you thought that was an idiotic exchange.

17. TomNickle says:

I don’t think you guys were in agreement with me that Henry is better than O’Byrne or that the Stanley Cup Winner should get the first overall pick of the draft.

But I digress.  Going for a run, enjoy your afternoon and I’m sure we’ll team up to bully people around 10pm!

😉

18. habfan53 says:

Don’t forget when the forwards cough it up they have the defence AND the goalie to cover up. Obviously the defence stills has the goalie but when Price lets in a softy or even a great goal he stands alone .

It’s like a pitcher in Baseball or a quaterback in football .  ALL three get to much credit when the TEAM wins and to much blame when they lose.

19. RGM says:

*phew* That’s good, easier to scroll past a giant lump than several little blobs.

20. boneheadslanger33 says:

Sorry for what?

21. RGM says:

That’s what she said.

22. Skotbot says:

glad you caught it, I didnt want to point it out and be the annoying guy that points out all mistakes.

(i already did that earlier today for “sun” “son”)

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

23. Everlasting1 says:

You should realize by now TomNickel resorts to character assassination when confronted by a strong argument. A bully implies intimidation. He’s hardly that. Neither is his clique.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

24. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry?

25. Chuck says:

No, not more posts. I’d be fine with him putting it all in one post. :)

26. SeriousFan09 says:

The optimists rule the site, I must have missed the two months after the Halak deal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. RGM says:

Wings yet, OT no. 5-1.

28. habfan53 says:

I still don’t see the scoring depth our 3rd and 4th lines (Boyd, Darche, Halpern, Lapierre, Moen and Pyatt) combined for 42 goals last year.

On defence you have Subban in for MAB and Dagenais (occasional) big improvement, Hopefully Markov won’t miss 39 games

29. andrewberkshire says:

Not to mention we get accused of never disagreeing on anything, and basically parroting each others comments while bullying anyone who disagrees. This site is so crazy sometimes.

30. RGM says:

That’s a terrible idea – do you really want more posts by him?

31. Gormdog says:

Boyd – you heard it here first….

or not…

Who knows anymore?

32. Chuck says:

EVERY player has at least one brain fart per game. I’ll expect to hear your criticism of every player later tonight, then?

33. SLONCOLD says:

i’ll say our 3rd and fourth lines are better than they were last year. once again it depends what you want from those lines as well. but i don’t think the 3rd and fourth lines are going to make us a 5-5 scoring machine either.

our top guns have to produce along side with the PP.

34. TomNickle says:

You’re telling me that I act like a jerk when you do nothing but insult a person you’ve never met both on a personal and professional level.

You even go to further extremes and accuse them of alcohol abuse and depression.

But yeah, I’m the jerk.

I’m not taking this any further Adam.  The people on this site who I respect have none for you, that says quite a bit to me.

35. RJB says:

From everything I read today, including this one, its going to be really tough picking the most ridiculous post of the day!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

36. TomNickle says:

Whatever idiot!  You’re stupid, I don’t need you.

Are you saying that we disagreed and didn’t insult each other?

Weird, that’s what we seem to be accused of on a weekly basis.

37. adam76 says:

Great post – the next 20 games will tell the story.  Price is a lighting rod, but deserves it for his inconsistent play.  You can not have, on average, a brain fart per game without criticism.

38. Chuck says:

Sometimes you’ve got to have a thick skin around here. Call it a character builder.

39. TomNickle says:

That person had that they were a truck driver listed on their profile and has changed it since.

40. adam76 says:

So your argument is that you DO act like an as$hole, but its justified because outers do as well?  Did you maybe consider they are just tossing back insults after you started in on them?

Something to think about.

41. andrewberkshire says:

You got kicked out of the posse for disagreeing with me the other day, now we’re going to start bullying you too! Mwahaha!

42. TheDagger says:

Why would you assume truck driver? Why not a doctor? They often work long hours and don’t have the chance to read hockey posts. But I guess they don’t have a very blurry view on life, only someone with a profession such as a truck driver.

43. boneheadslanger33 says:

Are you sure you don’t mean idiotic exchange?

44. TomNickle says:

You guys are bullying again.

Did you have a conference call this morning or something?

Why didn’t I get an email about it?

45. surprise says:

lol Darsh..

no.. but we could have found local leadership.

not saying anyone on the team right now but there should have been more of an effort to find a proper captain.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty much what Andrew said, the bottom 6 is so much better than compared to what we had at the start of last year, everyone on those lines is hungry for ice time and is playing for the team. Subban offers a huge improvement to the transition game and once Markov is back the team will be able to really take over with play from the back end.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. fbkj says:

why do i put d’s in pigeons :(

48. boneheadslanger33 says:

Did you not say “I hate fans who see things picture-perfectand I’ve already had this one poster criticize me because I picked the Habs to lose? Seems to me you don’t like people being positive about their favorite hockey team, which seems odd on a fan webpage such as this one.

Furthermore more you also said “I’ve been lurking the site for years” which makes you a creepy, filthy, dirty lurker. If this is not what you meant then perhaps you should learn to write Lurkey

49. Skotbot says:

even pigeons dont eat that crap..

50. SeriousFan09 says:

And now a rebuttal…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. CBrady12 says:

Cindy ? Cindy Crosby? Is that you? I know you are upset the Canadiens beat your whiny ass again on saturday but COMMON you don’t have to take it out on us.

52. TomNickle says:

Yes I’ve insulted you again.  I’m sorry Adam.

You do absolutely nothing to incite insulting responses and you are the model of innocence on this website.

Everyone should just leave you alone because it isn’t like you’re looking for attention.

53. andrewberkshire says:

Subban instead of MAB on D is a huge improvement 5-on-5 and on the PK. Maybe even on the PP once he gets used to the NHL.

With Boyd, Halpern and Eller coming in, and a healthy Lapierre coming out of camp, we have much more depth down the middle and especially in the bottom 6 forwards than we had last season. We’re also bigger down the middle and younger.

Halpern gives us a faceoff specialist that we lacked all season last year until we grabbed Moore just before the Olympics.

Having a PK specialist and minute eater like Pyatt on the team all year instead of trying to get D’agostini to play a bottom 6 role for the first half of a season is going to be huge.

Pouliot and Eller fighting for the last top 6 spot is something we haven’t had in a couple years.

Let’s not forget that our bottom 6 from last year included players like D’agostini, a grumpy and lazy Latendresse, an injured Lapierre, Georges Laraque who wasn’t fit enough to play in the ECHL, Kyle Chipchura, Greg Stewart, and although effective on the PP, useless at even strength Glen Metropolit.

Is that good enough?

54. fbkj says:

you got a problem with recycled spaghetti?

SNOB!

55. adam76 says:

Interesting exchange.

56. bwoar says:

So YOU were the guy who wrote the head office those 97 letters about making Darche the captain last year?  My buddy in PR says they still laugh at you.  Nice!

57. adam76 says:

This is how I feel – you have two choices.  Stop insulting posters who you disagree with, or ignore my posts.  What is it going to be?

Was not my post or account.  Ask the staff to verify the IPs if you like.  Unlike you, I’m accountable – if you have any other questions or concerns – feel free to email me.

58. bwoar says:

Oh dude, in reality cage is a big no.  Went to a few during my too-brief life in MTL and it always ended badly.  My sister got a big staple in her salad.  Food would come on plates that had ketchup from the previous diner dried on them.  The beer takes as though they use hobo urine to clean the lines once a decade.

So yeah, still 2 notches above Peel Pub standards.

59. TomNickle says:

Wow.  Where exactly did I say that there was a problem with somebody being a truck driver?

I am surprised that a truck driver has enough time throughout the day or night to read through posts by specific people and become that upset about things they’re saying.

If that person believes that Robert Rice or Andrew Berkshire are bullying people he or she has a very blurry view on life.

60. RJB says:

I don’t think any of those posters are bullies, they express their opinions and you have every right to do the same, are they not allowed to disagree with them? The posters you have mentioned, in my mind, offer some of the best opinions, but its all objective right?

For the record you will be hard pressed to find a better site to discuss the Habs, I reccomend you stick around, as long as you have something fresh and intelligent to bring to the conversation, the more the merrier!

Cheers!

– Bilbo Baggins

61. TomNickle says:

Scoring depth and defense.

We have Subban for a full season now and Markov presumably for the majority of it instead of just over half of it.

We add skilled two way players like Boyd, Eller and Halpern at the expense of an ever aging Metropolit and Dominic Moore.

Those three forwards that we’ve added have already paid big dividends.

It’s a little too early to say that this seasons’ team is better though.

62. TheDagger says:

May I ask what the problem is with someone who chooses to feed their family and send their kids through school by being employed as a truck driver?

63. JohnBellyful says:

Price has invited a lot of the criticism by his inconsistent play and occasional soft goal but it does seem a bit much that he’s been made the lightning rod for the team’s most fierce critics. I too pull my hair when he whiffs on a shot, gives up a big rebound or doesn’t feed the puck correctly to a teammate but I get just as upset when defenders can’t clear the puck or forwards give up possession of the puck.

But with forwards and defencement there’s more than one guilty party so the blame can easily be spread around. Sure, AK and Pouliot come under fire as does Gill but not with the same vehemence directed Price’s way. Maybe because they weren’t treated as saviours when they joined the team only to prove mortal.

For now, forget the stats, which can be used both ways, and have, to vilify/defend Price and just let the next 20 games unfold to see what his true stock is worth — and just how good are his teammates in front of him. Two games in, I remain optimistic as well as realistic, knowing it’s going to be a dogfight to make the playoffs.

The fans are being asked to pick the three stars of the game. How about them picking the game’s three duds as well and then we’ll see who winds up with the Goat of the Month award.

64. Skotbot says:

zone 3 – time to tighten my perimeters for my stalking bus.

65. adam76 says:

Sorry Tom, I only have one account.  You didn’t bully, but you did insult and are acting like you always do.

66. samTHEman says:

Maybe you should learn to read

67. bwoar says:

Wouldn’t have ya any other way.  I think it was a compliment, no?

68. andrewberkshire says:

I’m very disappointed that this response wasn’t in limerick form, Bugs. You’re losing your edge.

69. fbkj says:

this would be an incentive but have you noticed a lack of pidgeons around les cages whenever the habs score 5

just putting it out there…

70. mjames says:

I am not saying I agree with Fisher and I am not saying I disagree with him . However can anyone of the “super fans” tell me where exactly the team improved itself.

Thanks

mjames

71. bwoar says:

Don’t encourage him.

72. fbkj says:

totally agreed

im wicked talented yo and was willing to play for a monthly buspass (zone 3)

but no, they signed that damn mexican instead

73. TomNickle says:

So as I said, how does a truck driver find enough time throughout the day to check in on HIO and read enough posts by those specific people to get that upset about?

Strange.

74. bwoar says:

Chicken wings tonight ladies & gents, lance et mange, 5-4 Habs in OT.

75. Skotbot says:

you give the captaincy to the best candidate.

you build your team around skill, salary cap, needs, and chemistry. not language.

Thanks for stopping by.