Game 3: Canadiens blow fuse vs. Lightning

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges gets tangled with Lightning’s Simon Gagné, pushing him into Carey Price Wednesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta

• At a Glance: Despite a suberb game from Carey Price in nets, the Tampa Bay Lightning spoiled the Canadiens home opener on Wednesday night with a 4-3 overtime win.
Ryan Malone scored the winning goal in the final minute of the extra perior after playing a key role in the goal that forced overtime in the final two minutes of the third period.
Things had started off well for the Canadiens, who took a a 2-0 lead over the Lightning in the first period on goals by Maxim Lapierre and Tomas Plekanec.
Lapierre scored after some good work on the forecheck by the third line. Lapierre’s shot eluded Lightning goaltender Mike Smith.
Plekanec made it 2-0 when he scored into an empty net after Smith was lured out of position by Michael Cammalleri.|
Brett Clark scored a power-play goal for the Lightning in the second period to narrow the lead to 2-1.
Martin St. Louis tied the game 2-2 10:54 into the third period after the Canadiens failed to get the puck out of their zone on several tries.
Thankfully for the Canadiens, Plekanec broke into the Tampa Bay zone and flipped a pass to Andrei Kostistyn, who deked Smith for a 3-2 lead only 31 seconds after the St. Louis goal.
With PK Subban in the box in the final two minutes of regulation, Steven Stamkos tied the game 3-3 with 1:19 to play seconds after it appeared that Ryan Malone had tripped Dustin Boyd in the slot.
Price, who was coming off a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday night, made 43 stops as the Canadiens were dominated on the shot clock by a margin of 47 to 27.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens lack of discipline cost them as the Lightning were able to score two goals on the power play, while Montreal was blanked on three chances with the man advantage.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record drops to 1-1-1 after three games in the 2010-11 season.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are off to Buffalo to face the Sabres on Friday night and return home to welcome the Ottawa Senators to town on Saturday night.

1. samTHEman says:

Non-calls….what piss me off the most. Non-call on Cammi….blatant tripping at the tampa blue line…both refs standing there like statues.

2. samTHEman says:

they sounded like boo’s at first but they were Carey Carey Carey chants…who by the way is playing a great game again tonight.

3. SmartDog says:

Pretty typical game so far…

– O’Byrne makes the games first goof-up

– Pleks and Cami combine for a goal

– Price playing well but gets burned on a screen.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

4. pmaraw says:

nachos and my cheese, nacho cheese

5. SmartDog says:

One Kilkenny, crackers and cheese.  Or if I’m hungry, a tosted BLT.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

6. jimmy shaker says:

Gio upstaged our old pal Saku right there…..great to see but I would’ve loved to hear the passion and the heart of Lacroix yelling out the names.  Still love ya Saku!  And when did Dustin Boyd’s brother Justin get signed?  Anyhow, I hope there were no BOO’s involved when Carey’s name was introduced, (not sure what they were cheering) and so far a great opening period, great feed by Cami, just awesome.  Keep it up boy’s.  And stay away from T-bay’s PP.  What a 5 man unit they can throw on the ice.  When Ohlund comes back, that PP should be on top of the league…even with Kubina there they should be top 3 at least!

Shaker

7. jimmy shaker says:

Can’t eat at all….too nervous/excited/animated…….and I need to be ready to yell at the telly for the shite calls the stripes usually make.

Shaker

8. Danno says:

Jet-puffed marshmallows and peach shnapps

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. SmartDog says:

I gotta say that I’m quite sure you’ve set a record for the most responses to a post ever.  It takes up over a page and a half.  I’m serious… quite something for a first post!

Bravo.  Well done.

I, um…  feel kind of sad to be left out. Couldn’t you insult me just a little?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

10. Lazarus_taxa says:

WOW! I switched to the leafs game during intermission just in time to see Colton Orr GET DROPPED.  Very nice Pitts,  proof I still hate the Leafs more.

11. D-man says:

is anybody broadcasting the game online?

12. TomNickle says:

I think the draft should go reverse order the whole way down.  Last place team gets last pick.

And I honestly think that it’s the best way to create the parity that the league is looking for.  Teams unlike the Hawks but close to the cap can’t afford a player like Taylor Hall.  Teams would either trade out of the first overall pick after winning the cup or trade some high priced veterans to the only teams who can afford them…..the bottom feeders, thereby forcing the bottom feeders to make aggressive moves and stay competitive.

It would also eliminate tanking immediately and protect the integrity of the game.

13. samTHEman says:

What is your favorite/usual snack during a Habs game?

6 Pack of Heineken/Stella + BBQ Peanuts. GG

14. samTHEman says:

Subban, Eller, Avtsin, Palushaj, Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi…I like the future.

Great young group of guys. Can’t wait to see them develop.

15. sholi2000.com says:

At 23 years old he can be our DD, and Beer _______.

Seriously though, I can’t see myself drinking at the game, I don’t want my night clouded by alcohol…….we shall see how that turns out, take pictures!  :)

They Call Me Shane

16. LA Loyalist says:

Tom didn’t say that at all.

17. Chuck says:

I’ll stand next to you at the summit. You’ll be good for my wallet.  :)

18. LA Loyalist says:

But there are only 82 games a year – + playoffs if you’re lucky.

What the heck would we do with the rest of our time? I’ve been called an A*hole and worse, I can take it. Even the horrific spelling and bad French is funny.

keep lurking and throw down your gloves once in a while.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

19. LA Loyalist says:

I’m too lazy to check, but the think there was an actor Walter Pidgeon.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Like the remarks on Avtsin:

Avtsin recorded 110 points in 76 games in the Russia Hockey First
    League, a feeder league for the KHL. With some of the Bulldogs trying to
    make the Habs club at camp, Avtsin found himself on the second line in
    pre-season play, earning praise.

Cunneyworth said Avtsin stood out for “his sheer enjoyment of playing.

“He’s
    always got a smile on his face out there on the ice. He’s very enthused
    about working hard at his game. You love that enthusiasm and you love
    the fact he just loves to be out there.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. LA Loyalist says:

Tom if you are serious about the 1st round pick going to the cup winner I think that’s worth kicking around.

Assuming that any cup team will probably have to blow itself up a la Hawks, it would be a way of rewarding them with an inexpensive but (usually) great player for a couple of years and offsetting the cap problem somewhat.

And it’s not like the bottom feeders would be prejudiced because the 2, 3, 4, 5 first rounders are still going to be pretty fancy (unless somebody makes a bad #5 pick instead of Kopitar… KIDDING).

I know Bettman would hate it on principle but what do you think the various parties would think of the idea?

Guys? Let’s kick something around besides Price — even I’m sick of that.

22. CHHockeywife0996 says:

3 hours till game time – can not wait !  Go HABS Go

23. LA Loyalist says:

I think that’s the motto of the San Jose Sharks, actually. I think it’s painted on the dressing room ceiling or something.

24. LA Loyalist says:

Because PK played well in the playoffs under a ton of pressure.

I hope Eller is great. I have nothing against the guy. But lots of guys look good in the AHL and flame out upstairs.

I just think it’s prudent to watch him for 10-20 games and give him time to adjust. It’s in his own interest to have time, don’t you think?

I don’t understand where you guys are coming from sometimes. Do you decide if restaurants are good without eating there? Really, if there is a logical explanation I’d love to hear it.

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

25. HFX-HabFan says:

Alright, gotcha.  How about:

Mike Green, Alexander “Bongo” Semin, Joe Thornton?

26. larisalapointe says:

Because he attacks everything associated with the ”trade”.

27. nunacanadien says:

How about:  “Regular season performance means nothing in the playoff season.”

28. Mark C says:

Don’t forget to add a full season of Pyatt as a plus, he’s another proven playoff performer.

29. andrewberkshire says:

Not a beer drinker.

30. HFX-HabFan says:

Hal Gill?  Dustin Byfuglien?

31. sholi2000.com says:

Still waiting for you to teach me something about hockey?

It was just an opinion I have of Eller.  I feel he will be better on the top 6.  Just like I feel Moen is the perfect fit on the bottom 6.  If you put Eller on the top 6 he’ll get points.  Remove Eller and put Moen on the top 6 and all that would happen is that line would be one player short of a top 6 player.

They Call Me Shane

32. Chuck says:

Iced tea? Really? Boone probably would have set you up with a pint had you suggested it.  :)

33. LA Loyalist says:

Markov has been out so long it will be like getting an amazing new player without having given anything up!

“Playoff performance means nothing in the regular season”

34. LA Loyalist says:

“Playoff performance means nothing in the regular season”

Thank you! My new tagline.

I guess it especially means nothing if said playoff performers are not here. I think Sartre wrote a bunch of stuff about that. Or Plato with some dude in a cave. Now I have a headache.

35. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks Don! It was fun to do.

36. HFX-HabFan says:

Why do you consider Subban a stud in the making, yet Eller to be an unknown?

Anyone who follows hockey realizes his offensive potential- one of the top rookies in the AHL last year (along with the aforementioned Subban) playing on a terrible Blues affiliate, and arguably (along with Boedker) the best young hockey talent Denmark has ever produced.

37. andrewberkshire says:

Hide your kids and hide your wife, because Subban’s cuttin’ everyone’s tendons all up in here.

38. boneheadslanger33 says:

Fair enough Sam, I couldn’t agree more. My apologies

39. fbkj says:

pretty please?

40. ZepFan2 says:

Congrats Andrew. Nice piece. Don’t forget the little people on your way up, eh. lol

“and the guy how loves Bonham.”

Hey Cin…I mean Tony. At least you got Bonham right.

I love call out threads. Makes me feel all optimistic about the Habs. 😉

———————————————————————

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

41. Chuck says:

“- Halak – proven playoff performer”;

“- Moore – proven playoff performer”

That means nothing, because playoff performance means nothing in the regular season..

42. boneheadslanger33 says:

What makes me a so-called Price-a lot Sergio?

43. fun police says:

basically you are saying that since you think management has made poor decisions, only those who agree with you are keeping the site afloat, while those who don’t agree with you are bringing the site down.  hmmm.

44. samTHEman says:

You misunderstand me. I am saying I dislike fans who expect price to stop every puck and who have an unrealistic idea of our team…and the bipolar posts like its the end of the world. I don’t like negativity, and I encourage ppl to be positive obviously, but realistically.

45. LA Loyalist says:

+ Subban, unquestionably a stud in the making

0 Eller, unknown, jury on vacay until Christmas

? Pouliot – a complete mystery wrapped in an enigma (though an entirely justifiable trade, one head case for another)

– Moore – proven playoff performer

– Sergei, which is a +

? Andrei – let’s hope a +

+ Halpern – basically trying to replace moore for less $ — may offset Moore somewhat if he stays healthy

– Halak – proven playoff performer

… and of course the man in the spotlight: Carey Price. So far batting .500 with live ammo, seeing as we’ve agreed that the pre-season doesn’t count if you lose.

“…and if Martin stumbles we can always bring up that hot young coach from Hamilton, Boucher… OH CRAP!

46. Ron in Ottawa says:

I’ve said it before- I’ll say it again. So many fans and so much of the media are misplacing their anger onto Price. He didn’t ask to stay- it was managment and the coaches who chose to trade Halak without even negotiating with him. If you are that angry at managment’s decsion- go on strike. Don’t buy tickets. Stay away from the Bell Centre.

But no that would be sacrilige: not go to the game and boo the young goalie who you wish had been traded?

I love the Habs but sometimes i hate the habs fans who are so shallow.

47. adam76 says:

Thanks brother.

48. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe you can get reconstituted…

(we probably shouldn’t encourage each other or the death threats will begin)

49. Everlasting1 says:

That’s putting it delicately..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

50. adam76 says:

Somehow – without your validation, I will sleep well tonight.

As many have identified, you have this ability to drag people into pi$$ing contests.  If you care to review all your exchanges, you will see that you are the one who always starts with the mudslinging.

You have two choices – continue on insulting everyone who disagrees with you, or debate hockey with the same respect you would face to face. I have done my fair share of mudslinging, but am trying to improve.

51. habfan53 says:

No Cammelari

52. Everlasting1 says:

Sez a Price-alot..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

53. fbkj says:

explain, please back this up!

54. Everlasting1 says:

..from someone who doesn’t understand french. Perhaps you should stay out of this one.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

55. soflohabsfan says:

Just scored tickets to the game my father in law came through I can’t wait it’s been 3 years since I have been to the bell. Guess this trip to Montreal was worth it.

56. fbkj says:

well evolving is a good thing and giving the kid 25 games is a nice change from wanting his head in pre-season

good on you

57. adam76 says:

Seems like many users have issues with Toms “style”

58. boneheadslanger33 says:

You are sir-Lurks-alot

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh man, Subban got you too!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. fbkj says:

~I back up everything I say~

dude you dont back up ANYTHING you say

61. andrewberkshire says:

Have a good run, I’m jealous that I can’t do the same. Fricking tendon…

62. Everlasting1 says: