Game 3: Canadiens blow fuse vs. Lightning

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges gets tangled with Lightning’s Simon Gagné, pushing him into Carey Price Wednesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta

• At a Glance: Despite a suberb game from Carey Price in nets, the Tampa Bay Lightning spoiled the Canadiens home opener on Wednesday night with a 4-3 overtime win.
Ryan Malone scored the winning goal in the final minute of the extra perior after playing a key role in the goal that forced overtime in the final two minutes of the third period.
Things had started off well for the Canadiens, who took a a 2-0 lead over the Lightning in the first period on goals by Maxim Lapierre and Tomas Plekanec.
Lapierre scored after some good work on the forecheck by the third line. Lapierre’s shot eluded Lightning goaltender Mike Smith.
Plekanec made it 2-0 when he scored into an empty net after Smith was lured out of position by Michael Cammalleri.|
Brett Clark scored a power-play goal for the Lightning in the second period to narrow the lead to 2-1.
Martin St. Louis tied the game 2-2 10:54 into the third period after the Canadiens failed to get the puck out of their zone on several tries.
Thankfully for the Canadiens, Plekanec broke into the Tampa Bay zone and flipped a pass to Andrei Kostistyn, who deked Smith for a 3-2 lead only 31 seconds after the St. Louis goal.
With PK Subban in the box in the final two minutes of regulation, Steven Stamkos tied the game 3-3 with 1:19 to play seconds after it appeared that Ryan Malone had tripped Dustin Boyd in the slot.
Price, who was coming off a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday night, made 43 stops as the Canadiens were dominated on the shot clock by a margin of 47 to 27.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens lack of discipline cost them as the Lightning were able to score two goals on the power play, while Montreal was blanked on three chances with the man advantage.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record drops to 1-1-1 after three games in the 2010-11 season.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are off to Buffalo to face the Sabres on Friday night and return home to welcome the Ottawa Senators to town on Saturday night.

1. fbkj says:

how many games do you go to a year? on average?

2. sholi2000.com says:

At 23 years old he can be our DD, and Beer _______.

Seriously though, I can’t see myself drinking at the game, I don’t want my night clouded by alcohol…….we shall see how that turns out, take pictures!  :)

They Call Me Shane

3. mbplekfan says:

2 games into the season and the more knowledgeable posters are already demanding heads! At this rate the whole team will be in someone’s doghouse by Halloween.

4. LA Loyalist says:

Tom didn’t say that at all.

5. mbplekfan says:

So 2 games into the season and you are looking for AK and Pouliot to start scoring? Gimme a break. If after 10 neither has any goals its cause for concern.

Pouliot has 2 assists and is scoring at a ppg pace. But obviously thats not enough for you.

AK has played well. He’s engaged and using his body. The goals will come.

You need to chill out and let the season develop.

6. CindyHab says:

This is NOT addressed to SeriousFan whatever, Berkshire, Ian, Showey, the Jack Daniels guy, saskhab and the guy how loves Bonham. As a longtime lurker, these guys have driven this site to the ground with their constant, never-ending posting and ridiculously blind positive opinions of the Habs. While they seem to know a little about hockey (as far as any average fan I’ve ever encourtered, and some much less), their aggravating tendencies to act as a clique and bully anyone out of town if they express a differing opinion make the comments section an intensely boring read. And don’t tell me to stop reading the comments. I like reading the comments, I’m just tired of sitting in on your conversations. Feel free though to tell me to go to another site.

Maybe guys like Adam, Manapart and Bugs can help me out. While definite sh*t disturbers at times, I as an outside fan enjoy seeing at least some criticism of what I think are poor management decisions, poor work ethic, etc. while at the same time pining for the glory years long left behind where mediocrity was not acceptable (I could mention lasy year’s playoffs as being above mediocrity, but don’t want to make this a Halak/Price thing). I read someone say somewhere here to a detractor that he should be taking Subban’s side on some issue or other for no other reason than he’s a Hab. That epitomizes for me the blindness of this group.

Anyway, other guys, I’m ceasing the lurking on this site but was wondering if you could recommend a less-cliquey, more objective forum for fans. I love my Habs and liked to get pumped for the games and catch some good hockey-talk after, but this ship has sailed.

Thanks!

7. Chuck says:

I’ll stand next to you at the summit. You’ll be good for my wallet.  :)

8. CBrady12 says:

LOLLLLLLLLL you are funny….let me teach you a little something about hockey… In the pre season he was a completely different player because it was the pre season…you know those games where you are playing against a team that is half Minor leaguers and half veterans who arent going all out by any means…Now don’t get me wrong…I really like Eller and the type of game he plays…he has great ability and works hard…but there is no way you can say that he is a scorer in the NHL…he may be one day…it could even be this year…but right now…thats how I see it

9. LA Loyalist says:

But there are only 82 games a year – + playoffs if you’re lucky.

What the heck would we do with the rest of our time? I’ve been called an A*hole and worse, I can take it. Even the horrific spelling and bad French is funny.

keep lurking and throw down your gloves once in a while.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

10. krob1000 says:

The Montreal Canadiens fans have never stopped supporting him at the Bell……the Jaroslav Halak devotees…well really who gives a rats ass what they think….they are no different than the Kovalev fans.

11. Bugs says:

“Eller will be great”. Crystal ball link? To hell with the future; in the PRESENT, he’s got zero points while short-leashed Poolio LEADS the team in pts. Perspecive, please. In the present, I mean.

But I can agree with the rest.

Decadently yours, I recline as

12. LA Loyalist says:

I’m too lazy to check, but the think there was an actor Walter Pidgeon.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Like the remarks on Avtsin:

Avtsin recorded 110 points in 76 games in the Russia Hockey First
    League, a feeder league for the KHL. With some of the Bulldogs trying to
    make the Habs club at camp, Avtsin found himself on the second line in
    pre-season play, earning praise.

Cunneyworth said Avtsin stood out for “his sheer enjoyment of playing.

“He’s
    always got a smile on his face out there on the ice. He’s very enthused
    about working hard at his game. You love that enthusiasm and you love
    the fact he just loves to be out there.”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. habaddict_andy says:

I’ll be with you on this one.  If Montreal is able to shut down the Bolts, some how Dominic will find a way to score like he was doing for Montreal last year.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

15. adam76 says:

I agree 100%, bring back regional coverage!

16. LA Loyalist says:

Tom if you are serious about the 1st round pick going to the cup winner I think that’s worth kicking around.

Assuming that any cup team will probably have to blow itself up a la Hawks, it would be a way of rewarding them with an inexpensive but (usually) great player for a couple of years and offsetting the cap problem somewhat.

And it’s not like the bottom feeders would be prejudiced because the 2, 3, 4, 5 first rounders are still going to be pretty fancy (unless somebody makes a bad #5 pick instead of Kopitar… KIDDING).

I know Bettman would hate it on principle but what do you think the various parties would think of the idea?

Guys? Let’s kick something around besides Price — even I’m sick of that.

17. adam76 says:

Sorry – going to take a hell of a lot more then one above average game to win the fans back at the Bell.

18. CHHockeywife0996 says:

3 hours till game time – can not wait !  Go HABS Go

19. HFX-HabFan says:

I’m calling 4-3 for the home team in OT, Pleks dishing to Cammy for the winner, to send the fans home happy.

20. krob1000 says:

Pregame ceremony and practice tomorrow ……. if you catch a glare coming from the Habs bench when they pan over there that too may be Alex Auld…

Shane, I don,t think so my friend.

I think the 3rd line is going to be needed to put the puck into the net this year. Especially If the opposition keys on our first two lines defensively and if most of the power play time goes to the top two lines, the third line needs to be able to carry the day.

We will get a lot more production out of our bottom 6 this year. Resting our top 6 a few more shifts per game making them more effective.

22. adam76 says:

Maxim Lapierre

23. LA Loyalist says:

I think that’s the motto of the San Jose Sharks, actually. I think it’s painted on the dressing room ceiling or something.

24. Bugs says:

Price again?! What the hell?! When are we gonna see Auld?!

(synchronizes watch with timer)

Decadently yours, I recline as

25. Rudy says:

Excellent! Thanks! Now just hope I don’t get FSN feed :(

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

26. LA Loyalist says:

Because PK played well in the playoffs under a ton of pressure.

I hope Eller is great. I have nothing against the guy. But lots of guys look good in the AHL and flame out upstairs.

I just think it’s prudent to watch him for 10-20 games and give him time to adjust. It’s in his own interest to have time, don’t you think?

I don’t understand where you guys are coming from sometimes. Do you decide if restaurants are good without eating there? Really, if there is a logical explanation I’d love to hear it.

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

27. krob1000 says:

“first blood contest”??? well if there is any justice out there it wil be Subban for sure….he deserves a stick in the face for his attitude for sure…so if anyone else bleeds first then Tampa is not doing their job …. yup PK bloodied by the 8 minute mark…by…hmmmm….Downie. To score the first goal I have the zombie getting it from Pleks.

28. sholi2000.com says:

How can I say this?  Easy, it’s my observation from watching him play so far this season.  In the preseason he was a completely different player because he was playing with talent. He looks/plays like a winner.  That’s how I see it.  Gotta love a forum!

They Call Me Shane

29. HFX-HabFan says:

Alright, gotcha.  How about:

Mike Green, Alexander “Bongo” Semin, Joe Thornton?

30. larisalapointe says:

Because he attacks everything associated with the ”trade”.

31. pic1983 says:

Put me down for Dominic Moore.

Were still going to win though, because he’s going to score tampa’s only goal. (highly unlikely, but thats what Im hoping for)

32. CBrady12 says:

How can you say this? Eller has played 9 NHL games and has 2 goals…How can you say that he can set up and score on one of the top two lines on an NHL club…You are getting wayyyy ahead of yourself…he is going to have to play a lot more games and work on almost every aspect of his game before you can say he can set guys up and score goals…

33. habfan53 says:

I’d be happy if Price was not booed in the opening

34. nunacanadien says:

How about:  “Regular season performance means nothing in the playoff season.”

35. Mark C says:

Don’t forget to add a full season of Pyatt as a plus, he’s another proven playoff performer.

36. SmartDog says:

Just keeping count, in the ‘first blood’ contest I have votes for Pleks, Pouliot, Subban, Gionta, Eller, Gagner.

And FYI, if someone is picked twice I go with the first perosn to pick them (sorry… but I need to decide somehow).  So if you picked one already picked you could pick again.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

37. SmartDog says:

Pretty typical game so far…

- O’Byrne makes the games first goof-up

- Pleks and Cami combine for a goal

- Price playing well but gets burned on a screen.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

38. andrewberkshire says:

Not a beer drinker.

39. rocketsglare says:

My only worry tonight is a let down by the team after being off since Sat. But the emotion of opening

night should energize our boys. I hope Price stones Lecavalier, Stamkos, and company and receives a

thunderous ovation from the faithful. The kid deserves it.

Should be a great night of hockey and let’s make it 2 wins in a row!

40. pmaraw says:

nachos and my cheese, nacho cheese

41. HFX-HabFan says:

Hal Gill?  Dustin Byfuglien?

42. SmartDog says:

One Kilkenny, crackers and cheese.  Or if I’m hungry, a tosted BLT.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

43. joshua94k says:

Not that this is suprising but the Canadiens lead the league with 470,000 Facebook ”friends” and 72,000 followers on Twitter.  Forget LeafsNation and the Canucks thinking they are Canada’s team.  From coast – to -coast fans chant “Go Habs Go”. RDS ratings are increasing by the day. It’s about time CBC gives Atlantic provinces along with others a chance to watch the Canadiens on nationwide coverage.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

44. sholi2000.com says:

Still waiting for you to teach me something about hockey?

It was just an opinion I have of Eller.  I feel he will be better on the top 6.  Just like I feel Moen is the perfect fit on the bottom 6.  If you put Eller on the top 6 he’ll get points.  Remove Eller and put Moen on the top 6 and all that would happen is that line would be one player short of a top 6 player.

They Call Me Shane

45. Chuck says:

Iced tea? Really? Boone probably would have set you up with a pint had you suggested it.  :)

46. sholi2000.com says:

Eller can set up and score.  He needs to be with someone on the top two lines.  He’s a waste of talent on the third or fourth line.

Score three and we win!

They Call Me Shane

Only a matter of time before someone is killed.

48. LA Loyalist says:

Markov has been out so long it will be like getting an amazing new player without having given anything up!

“Playoff performance means nothing in the regular season”

49. LA Loyalist says:

“Playoff performance means nothing in the regular season”

Thank you! My new tagline.

I guess it especially means nothing if said playoff performers are not here. I think Sartre wrote a bunch of stuff about that. Or Plato with some dude in a cave. Now I have a headache.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering the guy is told he’s got to hit like a maniac to  make the NHL as well by coachs, it’s pretty bad as well. By 17 I was at 6′ with more to grow, I would have been told to hit kids a head shorter and 40 pounds lighter if I was in the Q with all I had, makes me wonder if I would’ve done it to make the NHL or held back and been benched.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks Don! It was fun to do.

52. habfan53 says:

Maybe a lot of fans here keep saying it will depend on how Price plays is because the Habs do not have even 1 solid line:

Pleks, Cammy and Eller:     Eller will be great but is still a work in progress

Gomez, Gionta and AK or Pouloit:  AK and BP on short leash,  they have to START potting a few goals

3rd and 4th lines hard workers but again offensively challanged.   TOTAL 42 goals last year

Our Defence:

Subban and Georges    SOLID

Gill and Spacek    Penalty Kill only please

Picard and O’Byrne   Both Fighting to be number 7

Hamarlik      1st game back don’t expect a lot this week

53. HFX-HabFan says:

Why do you consider Subban a stud in the making, yet Eller to be an unknown?

Anyone who follows hockey realizes his offensive potential- one of the top rookies in the AHL last year (along with the aforementioned Subban) playing on a terrible Blues affiliate, and arguably (along with Boedker) the best young hockey talent Denmark has ever produced.

54. andrewberkshire says:

Hide your kids and hide your wife, because Subban’s cuttin’ everyone’s tendons all up in here.

55. avatar_58 says:

Guy makes national TV with a hit – then they ask if this will be a deterrent. I say no, it won’t be. If anything he just got free NHL exposure.

56. boneheadslanger33 says:

Fair enough Sam, I couldn’t agree more. My apologies

57. fbkj says:

pretty please?

58. ZepFan2 says:

Congrats Andrew. Nice piece. Don’t forget the little people on your way up, eh. lol

“and the guy how loves Bonham.”

Hey Cin…I mean Tony. At least you got Bonham right.

I love call out threads. Makes me feel all optimistic about the Habs. ;)

———————————————————————

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

59. Chuck says:

“- Halak – proven playoff performer”;

“- Moore – proven playoff performer”

That means nothing, because playoff performance means nothing in the regular season..

60. boneheadslanger33 says:

What makes me a so-called Price-a lot Sergio?

61. samTHEman says:

No player introductions will start around 7:38-7:40. Face-off will be around 8, maybe a tad bit before. It all depends on if they decide to do an opening ceremony which usually takes 15-20 minutes. I hope it’s not as cheesy as the Leafs one LOL….worst season-opening ceremony I’ve ever seen. Go leafs go!…all the way to the 15th spot in the East LOL.

62. fun police says:

basically you are saying that since you think management has made poor decisions, only those who agree with you are keeping the site afloat, while those who don’t agree with you are bringing the site down.  hmmm.

63. samTHEman says:

You misunderstand me. I am saying I dislike fans who expect price to stop every puck and who have an unrealistic idea of our team…and the bipolar posts like its the end of the world. I don’t like negativity, and I encourage ppl to be positive obviously, but realistically.