Game 26: Habs cruise over Devils

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta beats New Jersey goalie Johan Hedberg 11 seconds into Thursday’s game.
Paul Bereswill, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game Blog, Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

POSTGAME AUDIO: Lars Eller | Brian Gionta | Yannick Weber | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: They scored while the ice was still wet, and
they kept scoring. The Canadiens played an excellent first two periods against
a perfectly awful host Thursday night, then coasted to the finish to beat the
New Jersey Devils 5-1. Captain Brian Gionta got this party started early,
putting the Habs in front 1-0 just 11 seconds after the opening faceoff. Lars
Eller added another 1:27 later, chasing Devils goalie Johan Hedberg, but Mike
McKenna, his replacement, fared no better, surrendering second-period goals to
Tom Pyatt, Scott Gomez and Benoit Pouliot to make it 5-0 after 40 minutes. The
Devils’ Jason Arnott, who got behind every Montreal skater, spoiled Carey Price’s bid
for his fifth shutout of the season with a goal eight minutes into the third.

• Key Moments: The two early goals pretty much broke the
back of the Martin Brodeur-less Devils.

• What It Means: The Canadiens continued their bizarre
seesaw run, having gone loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-overtime loss-win in their last eight
games. Montreal improved to 16-8-2, bouncing
back from Wednesday’s home-ice 4-3, blown-lead overtime loss to Edmonton. Now… does
Jacques Martin tamper with a dominant lineup on Saturday and immediately put
defenceman P.K. Subban, a healthy scratch Thursday, back in the lineup?

• What’s Next: It’s back to practice Friday in Brossard in advance of
Saturday’s 2 pm Bell Centre matinee against the San Jose Sharks.

1. MTLForever says:

can’t make passes

2. DavidKB says:

Yeah, I meant to say…

Habs win 5-1. Gionta, Eller, Pyatt, Gomez and Pouliot score.

3. shootdapuck says:

LAFFS on facebook is hilarious!

BRING YOUR “BREAK THE LOVE CONNECTION” SIGNS BETWEEN BURKIE AND WILSON!

I WILL NOT WATCH ANOTHER LEAF GAME UNTIL WILSON IS FIRED!!! END THIS
    NON-SENSE NOW!!!! I WILL NOT STOP POSTING THIS UNTIL SOMETHING IS
    DONE!!!!

Mass protest !! Saturday December 4th @ 5 pm before the game at ACC.

We just need Dion & Colby back! All will be good!!! No trades till after the holidays!!! GO LEAFS GO!!!

“lmfao THE BEST CANADIAN COMICS ,Jim carry,martin short,dan akroyd ect ect oh and leaf fans.for real getting alot of material off this pge”

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

4. vic says:

I guess JM will bench Price,teach him to let in 4 goals

5. lavie says:

Insightful except AK46 (I know you have a real AK47 at home) and Picard. Picard is so far a very balanced D who has a stable position. Agree with you that Weber will be tested for coming games. If Weber is good enough either No. 6 or No. 44 will be leaving.

6. joshua94k says:

P.K. is a young man with the right attitude. He’ll bounce back fine.

From TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=343682

Subban was asked if he still feels like a rookie considering his post-season experience.

“For sure. With the veterans on the team and my teammates, it’s my responsibility to make sure that I keep everything in perspective,” explained Subban. “And I am a rookie whether I think I am or not. I haven’t played a full season in this league yet and I still have a lot to learn. I come to the rink every day and try to get better.”

Landsberg also addressed Subban’s tendency to irritate the opposition, and asked the 6’0, 206 lb player if it’s part of his game to get guys frustrated.

“I play the game, and if I’m approached, I’m going to respond to it. Obviously if I’m playing against the other team’s top players, I have to find ways to get them off their game. That’s usually just playing the game, but sometimes talking does happen.”

7. habaholic68NJ says:

Just got back from the Prudential Center.  What a game for the boys tonight.  Habs jerseys everywhere, on the ice and in the stands.

Eller played his best game of the season.  I really liked what I saw from Eller, Pouliot and Darche. They were all over the Devils.

Weber played a surprisingly strong game.  He did not look like a defensive liability, led the team with 6 SOG and got an assist when Gomer scored on the rebound from his shot. Like to see him stay for a few games and sit Picard.

Gomer looked more involved but some of his passes and play decisions were questionable.  Cammy looked frustrated but I think his problem is that Moen does not belong on this line, proven again tonight.

Price was solid as usual but was only tested a couple of times.  The goal on him was a missed defensive assignment where he had no chance.

AK46 was a little invisible but the Plecs line overall looked dangerous.

The the movement on the first PP was great.  The PK was sensational – that 5 on 3 kill for 2 min was unreal – Devils were booed off the ice.

As for Kovalchuk, what happened to this guy.  He was not skating, missed the net on 2 good shots, and got a third weak shot off.  I did not see many of those speedy rushes he use to make in Atlanta.  He does not fit on this Devils team.

8. lavie says:

Wow, the most improving team in the league: watchable 8 games to 24 games — 200%!

9. sholi2000.com says:

Quick quote from a Leaf fan on the TSN site.

THats it. The season is over for the Leafs in my books. So sad again. At
    least this year they had my hopes up a bit longer than last year. Last
    year it was over after 8 games.

Life is Sweet!

They Call Me Shane

10. lavie says:

I have no problem with JM’s call on Subban. It’s not controversial at all.

Subban needs gear shifting.

11. Habs Proud says:

Habs kill full 2 minutes of 5 on 3, Gill Gorges and Pleks all of it!!!! Monsters

12. MTLForever says:

good start boysss

13. MTLForever says:

got eller right :P

14. CERF says:

Hey Guys,

Do you know somewhere where i can stream the game online? my normal sites aint working

thanks!

15. terrygain says:

Have the courage to put the blame where it belongs. Travis Moen is a terrific 3rd line player and penalty killer but he has no more business being on the second line than Maxim Lapierre.  Jacques Martin is about as smart as his brother- in- law. Cammy and Gomez will struggle offensively until the ultra stubborn Martin puts Pouliot on their line.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

16. SmartDog says:

Yeah that was awesome.  Awesome!

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

17. tricolore says:

Winning goal by Oilers last night was Cammalleri’s and Price’s fault. Suby is not to blame.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

18. tricolore says:

A good result tonight, but NJ is no where near the team the calibre of Boston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Washington, or Philly are. Without Brodeur, Habs are expected to win. Thankfully they did.

Subban in the stands is a controversial call no matter how you slice it. Must be some sort of message to the kid. Let’s not get carried away with Weber. He played well. It’s one game. I hope Floppy ears doesn’t alienate Subban and stunt his development.

Cammy is underperforming. Seems as soon as one gets better, eg. Pouliot, Gionta, or Gomez….another drops off.

Matinee with SJose on Saturday? I hate those. But it’s good for the kids.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

19. samTHEman says:

Gionta Kostitsyn Plekanec

20. RC-51 says:

adthe.net

channelsurfing.net  has better feed

21. Mikey_39 says:

For the record I’m against bringing up MaxPac, but just consider these possible lines if he was brought up…

Cammalleri-Plecky-Kostitsyn

Gio-Gomez-MaxPac

Pouliot-Eller-Darche

Moen/Lapierre-Halpern-Pyatt

That’s three lines that can score

22. notbigbird says:

From Twitter: Yannick Weber played 17:10, had a power-play assist and led the Habs with 6 SOG. He was also
    excellent defensively.

From me: Can’t have that! Back to the press box with you, you uppity upstart.

23. CanadienBoy says:

I remember Keena sitting a young Pronger sometime it work or f…everything up, PK deserve some support from his coach,  just may be without him we will be worse and give the kid a break

24. rbby_habs says:

re: Cammalleri

I feel for Cammy. It’s not that he’s playing poorly…it’s that Gomez is just killing his season. Gomez is a liability to the team, and to individual success for his teammates.

He makes awkward passes, at the wrong time, and it’s difficult for Cammy to make anything happen with the plays Gomez is trying to set up. He doesn’t really pass the puck to his teammates….but it seems that he throws the puck at them without them expecting it, and hopes they can make the best of it.

What would I like to see?
    1) Bench Gomez for one game. Hopefully that will wake him up
    2) Try Ellar w/ Cammy. I think there’s potential there.

25. MTLForever says:

nice snipe pouliot!!!

26. DavidKB says:

Suban sits… absolutely!

Habs win 3 -2. Pouliot, Eller and Cammalleri score.

27. MTLForever says:

both ex-devils score tonight, :) gionta and g-love gomez.

28. habs365 says:

tonight 50/50 chance of winning..devils have a lot of injuries

29. habs365 says:

samTHEman is right on

30. HabFanSince72 says:

If last year is any indication, there will be injuries. 15 games in December…

31. sholi2000.com says:

I vote 5 times/day everyday.

I only vote the goalie though so it’s quick and painless.

They Call Me Shane

32. MTLForever says:

im glad they have found some stuff, hopefully they locate the sweaters, watch and other items

33. Dintrox says:

The sad thing is the Leafs losing makes Boston better.

34. samTHEman says:

same here. they’re also missing parise, langenbrunner and GIONTA…….and Gomez lol

I’ll set up a little script to vote Gomer in.

36. WindsorHab-10 says:

Playing the worst team in the NHl and factoring in our history against the Devils, even without Brodeur, I still see a loss tonight boys & girls. Hope I’m wrong.

37. LA Loyalist says:

That sounds fantastic! Where can we get tickets?

Better than Gary Bettman’s NHL.

38. zaq007 says:

We should put the opposing team’s goalie picture up each game from now on

39. SLONCOLD says:

how times have you voted on this one?

40. christophor says:

um…nevermind.

41. DavidKB says:

It would be nice to see Pacioretty get the nod near the end of the season and make an impression in the playoffs like Subban did last year.

42. samTHEman says:

Money is power LOL.

43. HabsFansince49 says:

The main point I’m making is at least from the vantage point of the outsider (the fan) looking in, Martin’s treatment (read “punishment”) of players is inconsistent.  I read thousands of words rationalizing Gomez’ situation and the experts reminding us ordinary fans that there is nothing Martin can do about Gomez. But not only has he done little about Gomez, he has screwed up the production of some of the other top six. It is difficult to understand; it doesn’t make sense. That’s all!

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

44. arcosenate says:

I ask you to think of the actual equivalent of Vladdie at the plate as a hockey player.

There would be no heads left attached to any of the players, the score would be 697- 693, the zamboni would be on fire and Youppi would be impaled on his hockey stick.

Other than that, I agree with you!

LOL!

45. ed lopaz says:

Pk reminds me of a young Vladie.

Sorry for the baseball analogy – but its still Montreal related.

Vladie has his “style” ,and the worst thing any coach can do is try and change it.

These are PURE TALENTS – they should never be benched – it is stupid, unnecessary, and it only makes tonights lineup weaker.

Of course PK will bounce back.

Of course PK will take responsibility, as he did in today’s newspaperm admitting his mistakes were costly.

Maybe Martin should take the year off and give the team to Muller.

Looks like Muller does all the coaching behind the bench any way.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government. I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

46. habfan53 says:

I just read on TSN that police have recovered the 2 suitcaes stolen following Pat Burn’s funeral. They are stiil looking for the autographed sweaters

47. shiram says:

O’Byrne for all of his talent was a 5th wheel, or is that 8th D, anyways,  so he got shipped. Thats normal hockey business, when playing under the cap.

Subban had a bad night, and he gets a night off so he can refocus, even some great players got benched this season. The only that annoys me in all this is that some players will never feel this kinda discipline.

48. J_P says:

I highly doubt that.

However, its still not a bad thing for subban to sit tonight.  Theres been so much said about him in the media lately, and with the two big giveaways last night, it’s time to bring him down a notch and keep him honest.

Maybe if the habs did things like that with latendresse he would have developed more mental toughness.

49. habitual says:

I don’ think so.  I’m wth Habsfansince49, immediately below.

Martin gets a chunk of credit for the way the team is playing but he is pee poor with rookies.  PK is better than Webber, and benching him hurts the team’s chances of winning.  In fact, I think it is just plain, obviously, ill advised.

In the past I pointed out that Martin was screwing with O’Byrne.  Surprise!  Burner is averaging 19 minutes a game and is a + 4 with the Avs, who are nowhere near as good defensively as the Habs.

50. 123456 says:

maybe it was planned before the game to sit subban. his ice time was high (others played less to be a bit fresher tonight) and we all know weber has to play – either for montreal or hamilton. i think weber was going to play regardless and maybe PK was already the target to sit (before the oil game)

51. HabsFansince49 says:

Benching PK sends a real bad message and confirms my worst fears about Martin.  PK had one bad game and he is benched; Gomez had perhaps one good game all year and allegedly was called out by the coach with words such as “Sorry to bring the matter up Scott, but I can’t seem to find the proper players to help you…but I’ll keep trying…”  Misguided justice!

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

52. samTHEman says:

Why do I have a feeling Auld is going to be in net? Back to back games – Against a struggling non-division team – Shake things up and kind of send a message to the team: don’t rely on your goaltender because he is hot

53. Mattyleg says:

Enough.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. WarHero says:

Hey Folks,

I have a band that I record
    with called “The Collective”. We have recently started putting our
    tunes out there for the public to hear and currently have a song called
    “Amazing Sunday Afternoon” (very groovy) at #28 in the Ottawa Rock
    charts on ReverbNation. We would love to see it go to #1, if interested, you can listen to the song here:

ReverbNation Page

Facebook Page

We love feedback, so please leave any that you have. Thank you for your continued support!

Anthony

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Live Blog & HockeyBuzz

55. JohnBellyful says:

Incredible! Habs announce Wednesday they’ve set up a research foundation to find a cure for stone hands and one day later — ONE DAY!! — Tom Pyatt scores. The boys in the lab are miracle workers. Wonder what it was: Hand cream? Pill? Food supplement? Acupuncture?

And Gomez must have been included in the trial cure. How else to explain two goals in two games.

Wonder if the lab crew can come up with anti-aging agent for Spacek, Hammer and Gill?

56. christophor says:

does your opinion change if penner scores that goal by shoveling in his own rebound uncontested?

57. SmartDog says:

Makin’ a million a year?  Yah, whatever! I gotta move again???

——-

Ok, ok… I gotta get this one off my chest, it’s just eating me.

“How bad are Devils? They are so bad, even Gomez scored!” Moahahaha… Man, I crack me up.

And boy, did I ever had JM wrong. He is genius. All this time PK was the real poison on the ice. Insert Weber and miracle happen. My most sincere apologies, Mr. Martin.

Anyway, aside from the Habs win, what a disaster the NJ team is. Holy crap. And Oilers whooped the Laffs. Sweet. Look forward to game against Sharks on Sat. Should be a good one, in principle.

59. Say Ash says:

Indeed, it turns out that Weber is a better defenseman than forward. Who knew?

60. MontrealAtheist says:

Yeah, they were bad, but a lot had to do with the fact that Brodeur was injured … With Brodeur in top form a single goal by the Devils is all it takes for them to win. Their goalie was so bad, he even made Price look good!

61. blu3chip says:

Has anyone tried watching the game highlights on NHL.com?

It either doesn’t load or it is so choppy its not watchable…

62. SeriousFan09 says:

So it’s not just me? Thought my net issues were becoming even worse for a moment.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. flowerpower_74 says:

What’s with all the Darche haters? I mean the guy ONLY works hard every night, goes to the dirty areas and scores the occasional goal.

Defence wins Championships…

64. KenD29 says:

And Darche with PK upstairs?

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

65. Maksimir says:

Darche? Why? He played well last night.

66. Say Ash says:

Remember in 2007-08 how many times the free wings ad ran across the bottom of RDS? It practically burnt into my plasma.

that will teach ya having a plasma screen…

68. tonymr says:

Thanks Dave (Stubbs) for the interview with Melanie Auld. I tried leaving a thank you below the podcast but couldn’t activate the comments form. At any rate, I appreciate your journalism and the human interest stories you do. Good work.

tonymr

69. J Haul says:

Comments were likely disabled so as to avoid everyone calling her “hot” (she is btw).

70. andrewberkshire says:

The quality of the highlights on NHL.com have been getting worse and worse all season. To make matter worse, they cut the youtube uploads to show only goals instead of full highlights. I don’t understand how there’s no site with HD highlights of games.

71. SeriousFan09 says:

They do know the NHL is not such a titanic entity in the world of sports that they can get away with treating their fans like crap, right?

Oh man, I almost didn’t laugh when I wrote that. almost.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

72. blu3chip says:

I really hate that they removed the highlights video link from the recap page… I have no idea how to watch the highlights of a game played a few days ago… All I can find is the recap articles of the old games with videos of each goals/saves/hits… so super lame…

73. thebigguy says:

Full credit, going into this season, I thought signing Mathieu Darche to a 1 way contract was a mistake. He’s one of our few players who is willing to take the punishment required to play in front of the net and take chances.

There’s been a couple ocacssions this season where I’ve said to whomever I’m watching the game with, “WTF is Darche doing on the power play” only to watch the team score. While it may not always show up on the scoresheet, he’s been a huge part of the powerplay climb our team has had. I wouldn’t mind seeing him on the line with Gomez and Cammalari.

74. The Cat says:

Very true. Darche has to be respected. The habs are getting their money’s worth.

75. Da Hema says:

Heheh.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

76. lavie says:

This site looks like www.ComeHereWhenHabsLose.com.

77. nunacanadien says:

Imagine if it was Laraques and Brisbois…

78. The Cat says:

McLean should get fired pretty soon I would imagine.

79. Say Ash says:

No kidding. It’s his fault Brodeur didn’t get a shutout tonight.

80. icemachine says:

Halpern to center Pouliot and Gionta would be nice to see, A Moen-Gomez-Eller line could work well as a third line

81. habs365 says:

top 6 where they should be..would it work who knows..2nd line is not doing much offensely anyway..why not try it..last night if they had a 2nd scoring line even with the mistakes..they may have made the win column.

82. The Cat says:

Devils have no jump, or no fire I should say ^_^

83. MontrealAtheist says:

Yeah! Either that or because Brodeur didn’t play ^_^

84. MontrealAtheist says:

Boy, what a game! We were so lucky that Brodeur was injured, otherwise that one goal that the Devils scored would probably have been enough for them to win 1-0.

It’s a nice win nonetheless, but without Brodeur in net it’s just not the same and certainly no revenge for that 0-3 home loss this season.

85. rocketsglare says:

Solid team win last night. Hopefully the Habs don’t forget to play the same way Saturday against

the Sharks. I think the team is up to the challenge. It’s going to be a great game for sure.

86. HabFanSince72 says:

They were this bad when Marty was playing.

87. J.J. of Turku says:

In my opinion Brodeur is as good as NJD’s defense and last night they were awful. I know he didn’t play, but if he could have played yesterday we would still won the game, maybe not 5-1, but 3 or 4-1…

88. SmartDog says:

Good game.  Glad the team didn’t do a repeat of the Oiler game and let the Devils back in this one. Of course the Devils looked pretty soft.  You don’t have to be psychic to see a coaching change in the near future. Honey, warm up the moving van!

Speaking of moving… on an entirely different note. The interview with Melanie Auld was interesting.  Did anyone else feel like a core theme to that interview was “if I had to do it again I’da stayed in Thunder Bay”. Maybe it’s just people being people – and I know there’s a lot of hassle to being a hockey player’s wife…. but I was waiting for some happiness or enthusiasm for the life they have and didn’t hear much.  Lotsa ‘yeah this sucks’ tho!  Feel free to disagree – I HOPE it was just me or maybe something I ate just before. :)

——-

89. lavie says:

Auld’s wife is a typical artist style woman — less concerns on unrelated things. Got drafted? Won Stanley Cup? whatever!

90. samTHEman says:

I would like to see Martin try these lines. By that, I mean keeping them together for the whole game.

Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Cammalleri

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Lapierre – Halpern – Darche

Moen – Eller – Pyatt (White should take his spot when he’s healthy. Besides the PK, Pyatt doesn’t bring much)

Note that Eller between Pouliot and Lapierre seemed great together. Would like to see that one as well.

91. SmartDog says:

Keep them together for a whole game?  What are you CRAZY!!!!???

I like those lines, but swap Halpern or Eller with Gomez.  Give someone else a chance to be our 2nd line center and give our 2nd line wingers a chance to play with someone who at least plays the position.

——-

92. Whos_your_Habbie says:

I am starting to get tired of the way Martin is handling the young players

93. SmartDog says:

I don’t agree with benching PK.  But my impression is that he’s been told to simplify and as awesome as PK is, it is up to the coaching staff to get through to him… and this is sure to get his full attention.

Of course it brings up the question of why Gomez is still allowed to hang out along the boards and do most of his driving towards the area BEHIND the net.  But he’s a veteran. Doesn’t need to listen.  Right?

BTW….

PK Subban   – 9 points, +5

Scott Gomez – 8 points – 1

——-

94. samTHEman says:

lol gomez has built himself a nest behind the opposition net. he’s always there. he’s also horrible at winning battles on the boards which doesn’t compliment his new style of play. whatever happened to the devil gomez that used to burn us? it’s all pg’s fault for not getting elias and reforming the egg line. might work for a year then gomez will refuse to perform untill niedermayer comes out of retirement and is signed by pg. lawl

95. jennifer1984 says:

agreed. and that’s what im trying to get across.

i look at it this way, you give one person a cookie, you better be prepared to give everyone else a cookie too.

96. Habanero Gomez says:

Putting Gomer in the stands costs approximately $85,000.00 per game…

Perhaps the rationale of leaving him in, is at least you get something for your money versus nothing… Besides, regardless of his output, Gomer plays within the system… :)

97. RiverviewCanadien says:

Not sure if anyone read this, but it was a link from Eric Engels blog. Written by Brian Wilde.

Is it harsh? I don’t know, but I think it is spot on.

Well written and I completely agree.

99. SmartDog says:

I think it’s harsh.First off, there was no way he was going to catch Penner.

And anyway, you can have a brain cramp on the ice or in the locker room.  Cami is not the kind of guy to dwell on mistakes.  If he was leading the team at the minus end I would say different, but he’s at the plus end which says responsibility.

I’d be pissed too if I was the playoffs top goal scorer least year and had to play alongside a crappy center like Gomez instead of Plekanec.

——-

100. solomio says:

That article is just. However the pass from PK was a suicide pass, in the skates with Penner bearing down hard. Cammi did avoid getting wiped out IMO which did cause the giveaway but it was a pass made by a player unaware of of the situation on the ice at that moment.

I think this whole sitting Subban thing is really an HIO conspiracy. Think about it. HIO needs more traffic, so they slip an envelop to JM, he benches Subban… Boomski!!! HIO traffic explodes. Pretty simple, yet just genius, guys… just genius.

102. Dave Stubbs says:

With the Subban deal, Jacques is just trying to deflect attention away from his rumoured deal with La Cage aux Sports, uncovered this week by Hickey. The one that has JM keeping his team’s goal output at four or fewer to keep the Cage from having to cough up free chicken wings. THAT is a scandal, not PK watching one game from the press box.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

103. SmartDog says:

Nest is right – or nest egg.

People are complaining about Cami’s attitude becuase he didn’t “man up” to admit he should have tried harder to stop Penner while Gomez skirts around the periphery all game every game.

——-

104. samTHEman says:

Yet I’m sure Gomez would humble himself and acknowledge his mistake and lack of effort infront of the media if he was the one who coughed the puck up instead of Cammalleri. The difference is Gomez’ lack of production is due to confidence issues, while Cammalleri’s post-game comments is due to his ego. Cmon…even if he couldn’t catch up to Penner, you have to atleast try. Like Wilde said, if Penner knew he had a player comming at him at full speed he might grip his stick a bit tighter. Cammi can outskate Penner any day. Some pressure might of actually made a difference. You don’t give up on the play especially when you’re the one who turned the puck over…..and in OT ffs…I’m not blaming Cammi for the loss but it was very displeasing to see.

105. SmartDog says:

Maybe, but I still say Cami is typically a hard-working player.  Not sure why he didn’t try though he did seem far away to me.

——-

106. avatar_58 says:

Subban AND Cammy both screwed up. That’s all it took. It’s not what lost the game though – it should NEVER have gone to OT….but whatever, one game.

107. observer says:

Odds on Habs winning just now went up to bet $1 to win $1.15 so Auld must be starting?

108. observer says:

Gainey has recommended to Gauthier to send Subban back to Hamilton for more experience and immediately talk Patrice Brisebois out of retirement and sign him now that there is cap room to add him.

109. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was awesome.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

110. SmartDog says:

Same cost as putting him on the ice.

The difference?  With someone else in his place we might have a 2nd line that can score.

——-

111. Habanero Gomez says:

Point taken SmartDog…

However, would you take a second line that scores but is not as responsible defensively? The point I am making is you can insert another player, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the outcome will be completely favourable and sometimes you get other issues that arise from the change… You might get more scoring, but also give up more goals… Say what you will about Gomer, but he is responsible defensively most of the time…

Some people have also been knocking JM for constantly juggling the lines… I tend to think it will serve the team well in the long run… when the time comes to “make that change” in the lineup… the coaching staff will have a pretty good idea what works and who works well together…

Just a thought or two…