Game 26: Habs cruise over Devils

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta beats New Jersey goalie Johan Hedberg 11 seconds into Thursday’s game.
Paul Bereswill, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game Blog, Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

POSTGAME AUDIO: Lars Eller | Brian Gionta | Yannick Weber | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: They scored while the ice was still wet, and
they kept scoring. The Canadiens played an excellent first two periods against
a perfectly awful host Thursday night, then coasted to the finish to beat the
New Jersey Devils 5-1. Captain Brian Gionta got this party started early,
putting the Habs in front 1-0 just 11 seconds after the opening faceoff. Lars
Eller added another 1:27 later, chasing Devils goalie Johan Hedberg, but Mike
McKenna, his replacement, fared no better, surrendering second-period goals to
Tom Pyatt, Scott Gomez and Benoit Pouliot to make it 5-0 after 40 minutes. The
Devils’ Jason Arnott, who got behind every Montreal skater, spoiled Carey Price’s bid
for his fifth shutout of the season with a goal eight minutes into the third.

• Key Moments: The two early goals pretty much broke the
back of the Martin Brodeur-less Devils.

• What It Means: The Canadiens continued their bizarre
seesaw run, having gone loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-overtime loss-win in their last eight
games. Montreal improved to 16-8-2, bouncing
back from Wednesday’s home-ice 4-3, blown-lead overtime loss to Edmonton. Now… does
Jacques Martin tamper with a dominant lineup on Saturday and immediately put
defenceman P.K. Subban, a healthy scratch Thursday, back in the lineup?

• What’s Next: It’s back to practice Friday in Brossard in advance of
Saturday’s 2 pm Bell Centre matinee against the San Jose Sharks.

1. HabFanSince72 says:

If last year is any indication, there will be injuries. 15 games in December…

2. Dintrox says:

The sad thing is the Leafs losing makes Boston better.

3. christophor says:

4. DavidKB says:

It would be nice to see Pacioretty get the nod near the end of the season and make an impression in the playoffs like Subban did last year.

5. DavidKB says:

Yeah, I meant to say…

Habs win 5-1. Gionta, Eller, Pyatt, Gomez and Pouliot score.

6. shootdapuck says:

LAFFS on facebook is hilarious!

Mass protest !! Saturday December 4th @ 5 pm before the game at ACC.

We just need Dion & Colby back! All will be good!!! No trades till after the holidays!!! GO LEAFS GO!!!

“lmfao THE BEST CANADIAN COMICS ,Jim carry,martin short,dan akroyd ect ect oh and leaf fans.for real getting alot of material off this pge”

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

7. lavie says:

Insightful except AK46 (I know you have a real AK47 at home) and Picard. Picard is so far a very balanced D who has a stable position. Agree with you that Weber will be tested for coming games. If Weber is good enough either No. 6 or No. 44 will be leaving.

8. habaholic68NJ says:

Just got back from the Prudential Center.  What a game for the boys tonight.  Habs jerseys everywhere, on the ice and in the stands.

Eller played his best game of the season.  I really liked what I saw from Eller, Pouliot and Darche. They were all over the Devils.

Weber played a surprisingly strong game.  He did not look like a defensive liability, led the team with 6 SOG and got an assist when Gomer scored on the rebound from his shot. Like to see him stay for a few games and sit Picard.

Gomer looked more involved but some of his passes and play decisions were questionable.  Cammy looked frustrated but I think his problem is that Moen does not belong on this line, proven again tonight.

Price was solid as usual but was only tested a couple of times.  The goal on him was a missed defensive assignment where he had no chance.

AK46 was a little invisible but the Plecs line overall looked dangerous.

The the movement on the first PP was great.  The PK was sensational – that 5 on 3 kill for 2 min was unreal – Devils were booed off the ice.

As for Kovalchuk, what happened to this guy.  He was not skating, missed the net on 2 good shots, and got a third weak shot off.  I did not see many of those speedy rushes he use to make in Atlanta.  He does not fit on this Devils team.

9. lavie says:

Wow, the most improving team in the league: watchable 8 games to 24 games — 200%!

10. says:

Quick quote from a Leaf fan on the TSN site.

THats it. The season is over for the Leafs in my books. So sad again. At
    least this year they had my hopes up a bit longer than last year. Last
    year it was over after 8 games.

Life is Sweet!

They Call Me Shane

11. lavie says:

I have no problem with JM’s call on Subban. It’s not controversial at all.

Subban needs gear shifting.

12. SmartDog says:

Yeah that was awesome.  Awesome!

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

13. tricolore says:

Winning goal by Oilers last night was Cammalleri’s and Price’s fault. Suby is not to blame.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

14. tricolore says:

A good result tonight, but NJ is no where near the team the calibre of Boston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Washington, or Philly are. Without Brodeur, Habs are expected to win. Thankfully they did.

Subban in the stands is a controversial call no matter how you slice it. Must be some sort of message to the kid. Let’s not get carried away with Weber. He played well. It’s one game. I hope Floppy ears doesn’t alienate Subban and stunt his development.

Cammy is underperforming. Seems as soon as one gets better, eg. Pouliot, Gionta, or Gomez….another drops off.

Matinee with SJose on Saturday? I hate those. But it’s good for the kids.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

15. Mikey_39 says:

For the record I’m against bringing up MaxPac, but just consider these possible lines if he was brought up…

That’s three lines that can score

16. notbigbird says:

From Twitter: Yannick Weber played 17:10, had a power-play assist and led the Habs with 6 SOG. He was also
    excellent defensively.

From me: Can’t have that! Back to the press box with you, you uppity upstart.

17. Habs Proud says:

Habs kill full 2 minutes of 5 on 3, Gill Gorges and Pleks all of it!!!! Monsters

18. terrygain says:

Have the courage to put the blame where it belongs. Travis Moen is a terrific 3rd line player and penalty killer but he has no more business being on the second line than Maxim Lapierre.  Jacques Martin is about as smart as his brother- in- law. Cammy and Gomez will struggle offensively until the ultra stubborn Martin puts Pouliot on their line.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

19. RC-51 says:  has better feed

20. MTLForever says:

nice snipe pouliot!!!

21. MTLForever says:

both ex-devils score tonight, 🙂 gionta and g-love gomez.

22. zaq007 says:

We should put the opposing team’s goalie picture up each game from now on

23. MTLForever says:

can’t make passes

24. MTLForever says:

good start boysss

25. MTLForever says:

got eller right 😛

26. CERF says:

Hey Guys,

Do you know somewhere where i can stream the game online? my normal sites aint working

27. samTHEman says:

Gionta Kostitsyn Plekanec

28. CanadienBoy says:

I remember Keena sitting a young Pronger sometime it work or f…everything up, PK deserve some support from his coach,  just may be without him we will be worse and give the kid a break

29. rbby_habs says:

re: Cammalleri

I feel for Cammy. It’s not that he’s playing poorly…it’s that Gomez is just killing his season. Gomez is a liability to the team, and to individual success for his teammates.

He makes awkward passes, at the wrong time, and it’s difficult for Cammy to make anything happen with the plays Gomez is trying to set up. He doesn’t really pass the puck to his teammates….but it seems that he throws the puck at them without them expecting it, and hopes they can make the best of it.

What would I like to see?
    1) Bench Gomez for one game. Hopefully that will wake him up
    2) Try Ellar w/ Cammy. I think there’s potential there.

30. DavidKB says:

Suban sits… absolutely!

Habs win 3 -2. Pouliot, Eller and Cammalleri score.

31. habs365 says:

tonight 50/50 chance of winning..devils have a lot of injuries

32. habs365 says:

samTHEman is right on

33. says:

I vote 5 times/day everyday.

I only vote the goalie though so it’s quick and painless.

They Call Me Shane

34. MTLForever says:

im glad they have found some stuff, hopefully they locate the sweaters, watch and other items

35. samTHEman says:

same here. they’re also missing parise, langenbrunner and GIONTA…….and Gomez lol

I’ll set up a little script to vote Gomer in.

37. WindsorHab-10 says:

Playing the worst team in the NHl and factoring in our history against the Devils, even without Brodeur, I still see a loss tonight boys & girls. Hope I’m wrong.

38. LA Loyalist says:

That sounds fantastic! Where can we get tickets?

Better than Gary Bettman’s NHL.

39. SLONCOLD says:

how times have you voted on this one?

40. samTHEman says:

Money is power LOL.

41. HabsFansince49 says:

The main point I’m making is at least from the vantage point of the outsider (the fan) looking in, Martin’s treatment (read “punishment”) of players is inconsistent.  I read thousands of words rationalizing Gomez’ situation and the experts reminding us ordinary fans that there is nothing Martin can do about Gomez. But not only has he done little about Gomez, he has screwed up the production of some of the other top six. It is difficult to understand; it doesn’t make sense. That’s all!

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

42. arcosenate says:

I ask you to think of the actual equivalent of Vladdie at the plate as a hockey player.

There would be no heads left attached to any of the players, the score would be 697- 693, the zamboni would be on fire and Youppi would be impaled on his hockey stick.

Other than that, I agree with you!

43. ed lopaz says:

Pk reminds me of a young Vladie.

Sorry for the baseball analogy – but its still Montreal related.

Vladie has his “style” ,and the worst thing any coach can do is try and change it.

These are PURE TALENTS – they should never be benched – it is stupid, unnecessary, and it only makes tonights lineup weaker.

Of course PK will bounce back.

Of course PK will take responsibility, as he did in today’s newspaperm admitting his mistakes were costly.

Maybe Martin should take the year off and give the team to Muller.

Looks like Muller does all the coaching behind the bench any way.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government. I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

44. habfan53 says:

I just read on TSN that police have recovered the 2 suitcaes stolen following Pat Burn’s funeral. They are stiil looking for the autographed sweaters

45. shiram says:

O’Byrne for all of his talent was a 5th wheel, or is that 8th D, anyways,  so he got shipped. Thats normal hockey business, when playing under the cap.

Subban had a bad night, and he gets a night off so he can refocus, even some great players got benched this season. The only that annoys me in all this is that some players will never feel this kinda discipline.

46. J_P says:

I highly doubt that.

However, its still not a bad thing for subban to sit tonight.  Theres been so much said about him in the media lately, and with the two big giveaways last night, it’s time to bring him down a notch and keep him honest.

Maybe if the habs did things like that with latendresse he would have developed more mental toughness.

47. habitual says:

I don’ think so.  I’m wth Habsfansince49, immediately below.

Martin gets a chunk of credit for the way the team is playing but he is pee poor with rookies.  PK is better than Webber, and benching him hurts the team’s chances of winning.  In fact, I think it is just plain, obviously, ill advised.

In the past I pointed out that Martin was screwing with O’Byrne.  Surprise!  Burner is averaging 19 minutes a game and is a + 4 with the Avs, who are nowhere near as good defensively as the Habs.

48. 123456 says:

maybe it was planned before the game to sit subban. his ice time was high (others played less to be a bit fresher tonight) and we all know weber has to play – either for montreal or hamilton. i think weber was going to play regardless and maybe PK was already the target to sit (before the oil game)

49. HabsFansince49 says:

Benching PK sends a real bad message and confirms my worst fears about Martin.  PK had one bad game and he is benched; Gomez had perhaps one good game all year and allegedly was called out by the coach with words such as “Sorry to bring the matter up Scott, but I can’t seem to find the proper players to help you…but I’ll keep trying…”  Misguided justice!

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

50. samTHEman says:

Why do I have a feeling Auld is going to be in net? Back to back games – Against a struggling non-division team – Shake things up and kind of send a message to the team: don’t rely on your goaltender because he is hot

51. vic says:

I guess JM will bench Price,teach him to let in 4 goals

52. joshua94k says:

P.K. is a young man with the right attitude. He’ll bounce back fine.

From TSN

Subban was asked if he still feels like a rookie considering his post-season experience.

“For sure. With the veterans on the team and my teammates, it’s my responsibility to make sure that I keep everything in perspective,” explained Subban. “And I am a rookie whether I think I am or not. I haven’t played a full season in this league yet and I still have a lot to learn. I come to the rink every day and try to get better.”

Landsberg also addressed Subban’s tendency to irritate the opposition, and asked the 6’0, 206 lb player if it’s part of his game to get guys frustrated.

“I play the game, and if I’m approached, I’m going to respond to it. Obviously if I’m playing against the other team’s top players, I have to find ways to get them off their game. That’s usually just playing the game, but sometimes talking does happen.”