Game 25: Oilers rally to stun Habs in OT

Oilers’ Dustin
Penner beats Habs goalie Carey Price with the winner in overtime.

John

| Roman
Hamrlik
 | Mathieu
Darche English
 and French

• At a Glance: Dustin Penner took
advantage of a Canadiens turnover in overtime, storming in alone to beat Carey
Price through the pads at 2:28 of extra time and complete an Edmonton Oilers
comeback for a 4-3 win over the Habs at the Bell Centre. Montreal had a 3-1 lead after two periods,
but the Oilers scored a pair 3:08 apart in the third to send it to overtime and
set up Penner’s heroics. The final result spoiled a milestone night for Habs
defenceman Roman Hamrlik, who scored the 150th goal of his NHL career shortly
after recording his 600th point with an assist. Scott Gomez notched his third
of the season a little more than halfway through the first period to open the
scoring, his pass to Mathieu Darche deflecting in off an Oilers defender. Darche scored the Habs’ second goal.

• Key Moments: P.K. Subban’s pass to Michael
Cammalleri was the decisive turnover when Cammalleri couldn’t
control a rolling puck that was stolen by Penner and buried for the winner.
Ales Hemsky had brought the Oilers to within one midway through the third, then
Sam Gagner hit the short side behind Price, shorthanded, to tie the game and
ultimately send it to overtime. Subban was victimized as he dove inside the Oilers blue line in a failed bid to contain a loose puck.

• What It Means: It’s been since Nov. 13-16 that the Canadiens have won two in a row. They have now see-sawed between losses and
wins the past seven games, which followed a four-game Montreal winning streak.

• What’s Next: The Habs are in New
Jersey on Thursday night to take on the underachieving Devils, who
will be without arch-nemesis goalie Marty Brodeur, then return home to practice
Friday for a Saturday matinee against San
Jose.

1. HabFanSince72 says:

Montreal Pool Room is slated for demolition.

Along with Cleopatra’s on the same block.

Not that I’ve ever been there.

I mean Cleo’s. I’ve been to Mtl Pool Room and I agree it’s a must.

2. AH says:

I second that Tim…I’m hoping to “Lord” over my son, the Oilers fan,..tried to make him a Habs fan as a tyke, but it wouldn’t stick!

3. habaholic68NJ says:

Not bad.  Your progressions are a little predictable but catchy.  Here is my latest track if you care to listen.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Is Gibby’s still around? Last time I ate there  Guy Lafleur was top scorer in the NHL.

Hey speaking of restaurants have you heard that Gordon Ramsay is taking over Rotisserie Laurier?

WHen I heard that I went there for a take-out order to see if it was as good as I remembered it as a kid. It ain’t.

5. twocents says:

“That’s just too easy.”

That’s the heart of it.

People can, and should, disagree when moved to do so. But. it’s way too easy to suggest you could do better when you ain’t doing it nor have all the info.

6. HFX-HabFan says:

For those who missed it earlier- in honour of playing the Oilers tonight, I’ll continue with the “debut roster” series.  Below is a roster comprised exclusively of current NHLers who made their league debut with the Edmonton Oilers.  Here it is:

Smyth-Arnott-Hemsky

Hall-Gagner-Eberle

Paajarvi-Horcoff-Grier

Chimera-Stoll-Pisani

Cogliano

Poti-Gilbert

Smid-Greene

Hejda-Peckham

Henry

Conklin

Dubnyk

Total cost:  $54.45mil, or $4.95mil under the salary cap.  Lots of talented young forwards (many of whom are with the club today), an underwhelming blueline, and a below-average duo between the pipes.  It’s interesting to note that Edmonton has done a far better job in producing speedy forwards (left off this roster were names like Comrie, Brodziak, Winchester, Schremp and Stortini) to go with the NHL’s fastest ice surface, compared to the D and goaltender positions.

7. jennifer1984 says:

like JD said, head to Bar B Barn.

sooooo good. one of the first stops everytime i go to Montreal. Im not big into ribs (my sister is and looooves them), though i did try them and they’re pretty good.
    I usually opt for chicken and the chicken on a bun there is good.

plus nothing says delicious like the menu being your placemat!

8. timkbryant says:

As a Habs fan here in Oil Country, I hope to see a good ol’ fashioned beatdown. I want something to lord over my neighbours, and a win would do just nicely.

9. J_P says:

That is an extremely bold statement, and way off base.

We live in a patch and bandaid society.  Government officials have to be re-elected, so a lot of their strategies are for short-term show, rather than long-term results.  Let’s not even get started on corruption.

Like NHL General Managers, people give government WAY too much credit.

I work for a major corporation.  Every single day you see people who get applauded and rewarded that are absolute hacks, while people who are hard working and actually know what they are doing get the big shaft.

10. Chorske says:

Not that I have been the biggest fan of how the Harper regime has handled the economy, but one has to be resolutely to not see the benefit in making lemonade out of lemons by using stimulus money for refurbishing water delivery and sewage infrastructure. Particularly in MTL, where much of our water delivery system is decades (and in some spots, over a century) old. Heck, last I heard, some of the mains are still made of wood. The system needs an update.

As for businesses struggling, the problem spots have mostly been on the Main: Blvd Saint Laurent- but to blame that on Harper is stupid. First, that street has been waning for decades. Second, the merchants are hurting because the street was closed, fixed, then reclosed, refixed, successively for over two years BY THE CITY, not the feds- and this was all initiated pre-meltdown. Third, the infrastructure does needs fixin’. The business owners and landlords complain when the water comes in slow, or brown, or both, and when gas isn’t available, or when the hydro lines are visible. ANd then they complain when the city fixes them. The city effed up, no doubt. The point is: blaming job creation programs is ridiculous.

I should also add that I don’t even think job creation programs work. But I also don’t agree that the feds are to blame for everything. That’s just too easy.

11. Kappy says:

Thanks for the help JD.  I’ll let you know where we are sitting when I get home and have a look at the tickets.  My Dad and I are taking the game in and I am sure we will puttin back the ole exports, because our wives won’t be there to stop us.  There going shoppin’.

12. blu3chip says:

No one is perfect. Even the smartest person makes mistake sometimes. We can certainly give suggestions and express our own opinion, but we shouldn’t make it sounds like “you imcompetent fool, I could have done 10 times better than you did.” Because in reality, you would probably fail even more than the person you challenged.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Conservative government not being good with money, can’t imagine that happening…

We’re not saying never question what the team does, but don’t pretend to know better than the team the second they make a move. Sometimes it takes time to see what the actual impact is.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Why would you want to repair sewers anyway?

But seriously I’d have preferred seeing stimulus money go to developing and implementing green technology. Was never gonna happen with Harper permanently  fellating the oil industry of course.

15. SmartDog says:

For those of you who say you can’t question a coach or a GM because he is smart, you’re not a GM etc. take a look at what the geniuses in government did with our $4 Billion stimulus program.  A recent report suggests it had no real effect on making jobs and in some cases a negative effect.

The fact that a job creation program could actually hurt jobs might seem
    odd at first, but most Canadians likely are aware of examples locally
    where such claims have been made. Some small businesses on main streets
    that were torn up for months for sewer repairs have warned of the
    negative impact such construction creates in the short term.

Like our government, geniuses in charge of hockey teams are sometimes not very effective.  OF course, they’re probably MORE EFFECTIVE (and smarter) than government… but that’s not saying much.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

16. J_P says:

You have excellent taste in restaurants, except I prefer Gibby’s to Moishe’s.

Joe Beef is one my favorites also.

17. JD_ says:

If you’re headin’ out for ribs on Saturday night, I would dissuade you from goin’ to the Baton Rouge. Frankly, other than goin’ there for the Summit, I avoid that chain at all costs. For the money you’re spendin’, the food quality is low and the ribs are for kids. Head to the Bar-B-Barn instead. Nothin’ fancy, but more of a real Montreal institution, and the ribs are Flintstone-sized. Stick to the ribs and only order chicken if you absolutely must. On Guy St., just down the road from the Sheraton.

Also recommend the Dominion T.

For Friday night, I’d also recommend Moishe’s if you want to drop some coin on a good steak. It would also put you in the general vicinity of some hoppin’ clubs. I also support the notion the Queue de Cheval is overpriced and underwhelmin’. Sorry, Chuck. If your budget is tighter, head to Mr. Steer, which is on Ste-Catherine St. and very close to where you’re stayin’, and have a couple of Steerburgers. Always hits the spot.

I’ll be at the afternoon game, as well. Don’t yet know where I’m sittin’, but I’ll be the guy with two other guys, quaffin’ $10 beers and bein’ generally belligerent.

Do you know where you’re sittin’? Write it here or PM me and I’ll come by your section with a refreshin’ beverage and tall tales. Actually, have done this in the past – findin’ fellow HI/Oers at the Bell Centre – and it’s always kinda fun.

Cheers.

JD

18. Windwalker says:

You need to try Lafleurs Hot dog and fries or to the Montreal Pool room if it is still open and ttere you’ll have a good dog and fries.  then you’ll need to hit Swartzes for a smoked meat…enjoy your weekend  peace

19. dh says:

LOL  Can’t really read what looks like a sig on the hab side but I can’t imagine destroying a signed habs jersey like that.

The hockey community (including the Habs) rally to help support Pat Burns’ family.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Try their gin and tonic. They proudly make their own tonic water.

Here is a more comprehensive update of the rumoured sale of the OTPP’s 66% share of the Leaf (MLSE) sports empire.

23. ctony says:

A few weeks overdue, but McKenzie picked up the Botta story and ran with it. McKenzie: Bad blood results in ban for Isles beat writer.

If people really want more reasons to dislike Bettman and his cronies, here is another one.  They ignore Campbell’s conflicts of interest and routinely try to mask the financial problems of their beloved sunbelt teams. Bush league stuff like this sets the NHL back decades and (re-)confirms that the NHL and its executives (much like vampires) can’t stand the light of day.

24. Kappy says:

The Jersey’s Packed and I hope to be singing “NA NA NA” to the Sharks into the wee hours of the night!

25. Kappy says:

Thanks 72.  I think we might try the Dominion Tavern because we wont be getting to the hotel until 8’ish and want something close by.

26. Bugs says:

I hope buddy in the picture didn’t pay too much for that shirt cuz it kinda screams “I can only be worn once” doesn’t it?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

27. punkster says:

I regret to inform you that the city of Montreal has recently banned all forms of fun, excitement and entertainment for most visitors arriving from the Toronto area. The ban had been imposed in order to make Toronto area residents feel more at home.

There are some exceptions. If you are able to prove you are a true Habs fan (wear a CH sweater, sport a CH tatoo, sing Ole Ole or criticise owner/management/coach/players incessantly) then you have carte blanche to the city’s endless party. Just head on up to boulevard Saint-Laurent any time, day or night.

Enjoy!

28. Say Ash says:

I’m sure the Bruins feel the same about us.

29. Danno says:

CHock full of CHuckles! CHeers!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

30. volcano62 says:

cool!

31. HabFanSince72 says:

There aren’t many really good places to eat near the Bell Ctr. Not too far from there however you could try the new Brasserie T, by Normand Laprise (chef of Toqué) – but best reserve two days in advance.

A fun place with sophisticated pub-style food and a great atmosphere is the Dominon Tavern, right around the corner from where you are staying.

If you want something special, try Au Pied de Cochon or  Joe Beef / Liverpool House which are  a short cab ride away from you in opposite directions. If you want to walk down to Old Montreal try Le Local, Garde-Manger or DNA.

All have websites. All require reservations. Try Opentable.com.

Do not go to the overpriced and over-rated Queue de Cheval across the street from your hotel (if you want steak go to Moishe’s).

Chez Parée nearby has a live show but it is to recorded music.

32. Kappy says:

Thanks Chuck.  Bar hoping on Cresent Street sounds like a plan!

33. J_P says:

Its actually unreal how you can change the coach, and pretty much all the players, but year in and year out the habs are a bad 2nd period team, and have trouble with the devils.

34. FormalWare says:

It IS evil, Andrew–but only because that would mean there’s a very good chance of a regulation tie, and a @!#%$ 3-POINT GAME!

35. Say Ash says:

Ha! You make it sound like a challenge.

36. Chuck says:

Cresent Street is a couple of blocks west of where you’re staying; lots of interesting places to consume a pint along that strip. If you like steaks, try the Queue de Cheval, which is basically next door to the Sheraton. I’ve eaten there a few times. It can be pricey, but it’s always been good.

Centre Hice: Price in a charitable mood

37. J_P says:

Its not necessarily just the weaker teams, because I wouldnt consider Atlanta or Nashville to be weak opponents.  Those are games that just dont stir up any emotion.  Edmonton is different than atlanta and nashville.  We should mop the floor with them.  Hopefully the habs come ready to play, because if they do, winning this game is a lock.

38. J_P says:

I hate both those teams.  I actually dislike the Bruins less, but considering they are in our division, I guess it’s not evil at all.

39. samTHEman says:

Very possible and hard to believe at the same time. The Devils, besides sucking, are missing Parise, Langenbrunner and Brodeur. To lose against a club like that would be devastating.

40. MTLForever says:

of course hemsky is back tonight to face us, opposition always gets someone back when they play us haha.

41. habs365 says:

should be a good game..no predictions..you never know which Hab team will show up

42. Kappy says:

Hey Fellas and Fellettes,

I am going to the game Saturday afternoon against the Sharks.  We are making the long track up from Simcoe, ON (actually it’s only a 50 min flight from YZZ).  Anyways, we are staying at the Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel on Rene-Levesque Friday and Saturday night.  Can anyone recommend a good place eat near by there?  We are going to The Baton Rouge Saturday after the game, but we are looking for something on Friday night?  Also, we want to party Friday night is there any bars, clubs, pubs near by our hotel that have good live music that someone can recommend?  We were also thinking about going to the lighting of the lights in Old Montreal after the game on Saturday, is that worthwhile?

I am very exicited about this weekend only get to do it once every couple years, just want to make the best use of my time.

Any recommedations are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

43. habs365 says:

I don’t even want to think about it

44. habs365 says:

put him with Eller and lapierre..maybe a good line

45. JF says:

I’d rather Philly beat Boston.  The more points between us and the Bruins, the more secure our position at the top of the division.  The standings are so tight that if we hit a skid and allow Boston to jump over us, we could easily find ourselves in 7th or 8th spot – and if we were to end up there, we could find ourselves facing Philly in the first round.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

Boston – Philly? I’m hoping for a meteorite.

47. TheDagger says:

Love this picture… mostly because this dude is standing beside a sign that says “No Standing”.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

No, just someone who enjoys good comedy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

49. win4ce says:

Not sure if you wrote this or not, but it`s hilarious! I always say the same thing about Pyatt; he`s a great player with tremendous speed and an incredible hockey IQ that translates into a great presence in our own zone. If he had any skill whatsoever he`d probably be the best player in the league!

50. andrewberkshire says:

Is it evil of me that I hope Boston gets a 3-0 lead tonight and blows it?

51. Say Ash says:

They’ll win tonight ’cause they’ll lay an egg tomorrow in Jersey.

52. WarHero says:

Hey Folks,

As some of you may know, I have a band that I record
    with called “The Collective”. We have recently started putting our
    tunes out there for the public to hear and currently have a song called
    “Amazing Sunday Afternoon” (very groovy) at #39 in the Ottawa Rock
    charts on ReverbNation. If interested, you can listen to the song here:

ReverbNation Page

Facebook Page

We love feedback, so please leave any that you have.

Anthony

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Live Blog & HockeyBuzz

53. samTHEman says:

Yup. It’s funny. We win games against tough opponents and fold to weaker ones. It’s all-too-common thing that’s been happening in the last few years, not just this season. We seem to play up to the tempo of the other team. But that’s hockey. Any team can beat any team on any given night. I usually don’t have a good feeling comming into a game vs. a weaker team but hopefully the Canadiens will rectify this tonight.

54. J_P says:

The problem I have with an overtime/shootout loser getting a point, is that there is no conservation of points.  When the game goes to overtime, a point magically appears out of nowhere.  As long as there is overtime/shootout, a regulation winner should get 3 points, and than those same 3 points get divided into 2 for the winner and 1 for the loser if the game goes to overtime/shootout.

Why this hasnt been done yet, I have no idea.  Probably because the NHL likes the competitive balance, and the race it creates at seasons end.  IMO though, it actually makes the race less competitive because you have teams in playoff position who literally play to go to overtime/shootout when they play each other towards the end of the season, and than a team who’s out of playoff position only makes up one point when they win, even in regulation.

55. JIMVINNY says:

Regarding philly and beantown, I’m in an “if/then” situation.  If we win, then I want Boston to win, but if we lose, then I want Philly to win.

56. samTHEman says:

We definately don’t have the scoring consistency to hold the #1 spot and compete with Philly Tampa and Washington. What we do have however is the best goaltender in the league right now, and I think I speak for everyone when I say I wouldn’t change that for anything. Combine a winning streak with a slump for Tampa/Philly/Wash and we can be 1st place but I don’t think we would be able to hold it till the end of the season. I’m content enough with our team clinching their division and gaining home ice for the playoffs.

57. rocketsglare says:

I wonder which Habs team will come out tonight? The one that dominated the Kings and Sabres or the

one that embarrassed itself against the Predators and Thrashers? Stay tuned.

58. samTHEman says:

Really? sick chit

59. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Interesting scenarios indeed; however, I always thought the most elegant solutions were the simplest.  Going back to a two point winner takes all gets my vote.  And as far as having more teams competing for playoff spots, well I thought parity was the solution to that one, not bonus points for losers.  “hey, you almost one that game in OT.  Sorry, better luck next time, but here’s a point for your efforts.”

60. oshawahabsfan says:

PK on OTR tonight at 5:00 on TSN, enough acronyms for ya!

61. savethepuck says:

I keep looking at us in third place overall and first in the Northeast and I’m getting greedy wanting that Presidents Trophy this year.  I definitely want St Louis to beat Washington tonight, but I also think I want Boston to beat Philly tonight.  I don’t remember hoping for a division rival to win.  Anyone else here looking at first overall or is everyone Northeast Division first.

62. ctony says:

It’s not about fighting for playoff spots, all teams have the same opportunity to get the freebie “third” point.  It’s about inflating teams point totals for ALL teams at the end of the year, so bad teams seem better on paper to their fans.

Think about it, years ago if you played 82 games, 82 points meant your were a .500 team.  Now, the AVERAGE team gets 91 points (ranging from 90.7 to 92 points from the 2005-06 season through last year).  That allows teams to tell their fans, “hey, we missed the playoffs, but we got 86 points.  We’re a good team and building the for the future”.  It’s a lot easier to say that than, “oops, sorry for another 74 point (or worse, 66 points, for the 2009-10 Leafs) season…”

For Leaf fans, this means you’ve been below the curve each of the last five years.  You’re adjusted point totals in a TRU-82 game schedule would have been 66 points in 2010, 73, 75, 82.16 (the high water mark) and 81.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey Bugs, you’ve got some competition it seems.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

64. JohnBellyful says:

Habs announced they’re forming a foundation to address a serious medical problem. Here’s the story, courtesy of Heuters …

MONTREAL – Tom Pyatt was lightning on skates growing up in Thunder Bay.
    His blazing speed earned him a spot with the OHL’s Saginaw Spirit where he scored 43 goals in his final campaign. Significantly, his scoring totals steadily rose over four seasons and his future looked bright.

Pyatt seemed as healthy as ever when he began play in the AHL but then signs began cropping up that indicated something was wrong. None was troubling enough, however, to prevent the Montreal Canadiens from adding Pyatt to their roster.

But the tell-tale signs that all was not well grew more pronounced this season, and the Canadiens were forced to take action. They sent him to specialists who confirmed the club’s worst fears: Pyatt has stone hands.

Alarmed, the team has set up a foundation to find a cure for a condition that’s often fatal to players’ careers, unless you’re a defenceman.

“We started to take notice last season, when he scored only two goals in 40 games,” general manager Pierre Gauthier said Tuesday. “We knew something was amiss when he kept amissing the net, but we put it down to first-year jitters playing for a storied franchise.”
    But it’s clear now that jitters weren’t the reason

“He hasn’t scored in 22 games this year,” Gauthier said. “The team’s statistician tells me that projects to zero goals for a full season. That’s not good. We pay our forwards – except in exceptional cases – to score goals. Tom’s a nice guy but we’re not a charity. We had to act and because he’s such a decent fellow we decided to invest in finding a cure.”

Gauthier said that when the foundation is fully operational, it will tackle other medical conditions prevalent in the NHL: the Philadelphia flu, slew foot, cement head (first recognized by the medical profession early in the career of former Edmonton Oiler Dave Semenko), D-men-tia (peculiar to rearguards with booming shots but no ostensible defensive skills; also known as ”stark raving MAB” around the league), and MRSA, of which there are two kinds. Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus is a super-bug that’s been linked to sweat. A more virulent infection is Maniac Ranger Steve Avery, a super-pest associated with slime.

Pyatt was prepared to answer questions from reporters but the press conference was cut short when the microphone developed a malfunction.
    Pyatt dropped it when it was handed to him.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

65. GoalieT says:

I’ve thought about this more than I care to remember since it’s inception. During that time, I’ve found that I have been behind a number of different scenarios that would slightly alter or, at other times, completetly revamp this 3-point debacle.

Currently, I’m on the following alteration kick. Please note: All versions of change can be completley shot full of holes, and the one below is no different. However, it would make for another side of interesting. 🙂

Teams that are tied at the end of regulation go through the customary 4-on-4 play. The 3 points would be awarded to the team that would win in the 4-on-4 format. However, going to a shoot-out would then divide the 3 points into 2 for the winner, and then 1 for the loser. This would encourage desperate hockey in the 4-on-4, I imagine.
    The one side of this that would be of real interest is a team that is winning by a goal and in need of an extra point. Would the team gamble and purposely “get sloppy” and find themselves tied for a chance at the extra point in overtime? What a gamble that would be, because you sacrifice your 2 point regulation win and let fate decide if you’ll leave the building with 3 points (with a 4-on-4 win) or only 1 point (with a shoot-out loss).

The other one that used to be popular with me is 3 points for a regulation win. Then, if teams are tied after regulation, it’s 2 points for the winner, and 1 point for the loser. This would encourage a win-at-all-costs during the meat and potatoes part of the game -REGULATION TIME. Because, frankly, that’s what we all want to see anyway. The only downfall to this is teams may play bummed out hockey because of the point that got away. Everyone’s a loser in some way, shape or form if the game goes to overtime.

Or, hey! Why not just go back to the way it was. That worked before, but I doubt that will ever come back.

Those are my two cents in economic hardship. There are a million such suggestions. None are right. None are wrong.

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

66. observer says:

Habs should ask for the worse of the 2 locker rooms in McMahon Stadium.

67. Dintrox says:

Just read hockey writer Jim Kelley has passed away.

68. Dintrox says:

NHL second star of the month for November… Carey Price.

69. Say Ash says:

You know, at this point, it’s all upside.

70. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I could see Eller with Pouliot and White, with Paches in the top six.  Man – what are we waiting for!

71. iHeart Les Habitants says:

that’s a valid point I guess, but it just seems ridiculous that there was discussion about the shoot out and it’s place in the game and the tampering with the overtime rules before the start of the season.  And now you have the Cryers… err…  I mean Flyers ahead of Montreal because of the extra point.  Just gets under my skin is all i’m saying.

72. Say Ash says:

$$$ Makes for more teams fighting for playoff spots near the end of the season. $$$

73. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I gotta say that I’m not very happy with the three point games at all.  Can someone explain why it’s there in the first place?  It makes no sense – why can’t a loss be a loss?  They said they wanted to keep teams from playing for a tie, but the shoot out takes care of that.  If you want a more exciting game, and shoot out for that matter, bring it back to a winner takes all model for crying out loud!  I know it’s a new game, but points for losers is total BS.  I want pure competition.

Yeah, to consider that Gomez will still be a Hab next season is such a stretch 🙂

75. TomNickle says:

Presumably if Ryan White and Max Pacioretty are ready to play with the Habs late this season or the beginning of next season.  Where would you put them and who would you get rid of or demote to make room for them.

Considering the assumption that Plekanec, Gomez, Kostitsyn, Cammalleri, Gionta and Pouliot are kept.

Personally I would have Eller centre a line with those guys flanking them.  That could be quite an exciting combination.  I would drop Pyatt and Darche out of the lineup and go with Halpern, Moen and Lapierre as a 3rd or 4th line.