Game 23: Canadiens a no-show in Atlanta

Canadiens goalie Alex Auld makes one of his 44 saves Friday night against the Thrashers.
Scott Cunningham, NHLI via Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
Quick
hits
and About
last night …
| Stubbs on
Twitter
| Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Alex Auld | Hal Gill | P.K. Subban

• At a Glance: Alex Auld’s second start for the Canadiens didn’t go as well as the first, but he is hardly to blame for the 3-0 loss at the hands of the Atlanta Thrashers. After a decent first period, the Canadiens allowed a goal by Rich Peverley with less than 20 second to play. And things fell apart in the second period as the Thrashers took total control of the game, outshooting the Canadiens 23-4 and adding a pair of goals. Tobias Enstrom made it 2-0 when his floater from the point eluded Auld, probably his only mistake of the night. Peverley scored his second of the game, a power-play marker, 15:35 into the period with an accurate shot to the far post beyond Auld, who finished with 44 saves. At the other end of the ice, Ondrej Pavelec had a relatively easy night, making 25 saves for the shutout, his second of the season.

• What It Means: The loss drops Montreal’s record to 14-8-1 and the Canadiens missed a chance to expand their lead in the Northeast Division after losses by the Bruins and Senators earlier Friday.

• What’s Next: Montreal is back home on Saturday night for a visit from the Buffalo Sabres. The Canadiens are then off until Wednesday when the Edmonton Oilers come to town, followed by a game in New Jersey against the Devils on Thursday.

1. Chuck says:

Definitely not in a row.

Habs miss flight

2. SmartDog says:

Peverly is 10/12 on faceoffs. No wonder our boys aren’t getting any shots – they never have the puck.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

3. SmartDog says:

Wow. Talk about suckitude! The guys must WANT another bag-skate practice.

JM’s gonna let em have it unless they explode in the third.

——-

4. savethepuck says:

Maybe it was a good night for Carey to get a rest. We are definitely not losing this one by any fault of Auld.  How can our team not be prepared for a team that has won 3 in a row and 2 of those wins were 5-0 over Washington and 5-1 over Detroit.  Those 2 teams are in the top 3 or 4 in power rankings for the league.  Unbelievable.

5. oldrrty says:

Dammit, I really need to review before I post it.  I did mean that.

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

6. slapshot777 says:

Boston lost today. Still would be nice to win this one and gain some ground.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

7. Corio says:

Boys not lookin’ too good at all out there…

8. JohnnyBEast says:

38 shots over 2 periods, not good

9. dre1744 says:

Did the guys eat Turkey before the game cause they sure look like they are sleeping out there……   I bet they don’t score  tonight again.  What will that be 5 shot outs against em!!!!!

10. MTLForever says:

Can’t wait for the trolls to come out after this one. We all know they can play better than this.

11. weightman25 says:

ask wes welker why he leads the nfl in receptions every year at 5’9″ 190lbs…?? size is just an excuse

12. Nilan4Pres says:

Someone turn Carbo’s mic up!!

13. HFX-HabFan says:

Knew about White; just wasn’t sure the latest on Tinordi.

14. tricolore says:

Yeah you could just hear Jean Guy say – “merde…on a oublié d’ouvrir le micro de Carbo…”

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

15. MTLForever says:

Not a nice effort right now..

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, he’s expected to miss a couple of weeks, Ryan White in HAM, the same or longer.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. HFX-HabFan says:

Is Tinordi still on the shelf with the knee injury?

18. tricolore says:

It’s the Nashville game all over again. Atlanta has the midas touch tonight. Everything is going their way. Mind you, Montreal is not working hard enough and have given up even though the 2nd is not over yet. Montreal does not deserve to win tonight. Let’s hope the home fans will get their money’s worth tomorrow. Dishing out hundreds of dollars to see an effort like tonight is definitely not worth it.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

19. oldrrty says:

On a day when Boston won we need this one to put more points between us and them. No matter what happens tonight now, tomorrow is must win.

Crap, they scored again.

Put in Price!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

20. samTHEman says:

gionta is turning into max lapierre taking dead angle shots.

21. FB says:

Did they even play 20 minutes

22. SeriousFan09 says:

I really like what he brings to the table, Avtsin was called a steal by Timmins on draft day and so far that prediction is turning out in the Habs favour. He has all the tools to make it to the Habs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’m talking hockey Einstein.

24. savethepuck says:

The tiny tots and smurf comments have to stop.  We still have a great record and team, we just $#it to bed tonight.  I would rather that when we lose, we get embarrassed like this than to lose 4 in a row by 3-2 and 2-1 scores.  At least in the past games like this have given us a wake up call and we’ve responded with a good game.

25. MTLForever says:

Never play well against atlanta…same as florida…jesus murphy

26. Kooch7800 says:

I think Avistin is going to be a great player. He has great vision and good hockey sense.  He will be in the NHL in the next couple years.

I actually think that Aaron Palushaj is a heck of a hockey player.  I think he could easily make the jump to the nhl.  He has wiked work ethic.

27. WindsorHab-10 says:

Size is just an excuse. This team is untouchable when they skate & commit. Both were absent tonight.

28. WindsorHab-10 says:

Sick & tired of this team tanking it just when you thought they’re on the right track. Very embarrassing performance by all except Auld who was the only player that came in to play. Did they honesly think they can go into Atlanta & come out with a win just playing 20 minutes?

Better stop now before I say something I might regret later. Shame on you Habs.

29. Kooch7800 says:

our record in the last five or six games isn’t that great. We are rotating good games and no shows.

Trust me I am a huge habs supporter but we really are lacking some sandpaper. It showed against Philly and again tonight. Something that I think will be a problem and will set us apart in the playoffs.

Vancouver the last couple of years is a prime example.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospects Update:

AHL: Hamilton Bulldogs defeat the Binghamton Senators in a 1-0 game, Curtis Sanford (Who had to be pulled for reasons yet unknown) and Robert Mayer share a shutout and Alexander Avtsin with his 3rd of the season has his first game-winning goal as a Bulldog, assisted by Aaron Palushaj and Andreas Engqvist, Engvist snaps a 8-game scoring drought. Max Pacioretty’s goal streak ends at 3 games, his points streak at 4.

QMJHL:

D Morgan Ellis notched the game-winning goal for his Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in a 4-2 win over the Halifax Mooseheads. It was his 5th goal of the season.

C Michael Bournival had an assist while RW Phillippe Lefebvre had a goal and assisted on the GWG as Bournival’s Shawinigan Cataractes faced off against Lefebvre’s Montreal Juniors, the Juniors won 4-3 in the game. Louis Leblanc was scratched as he recovers from an injury from his Nov. 6th game.

WHL:

RW Brendan Gallagher has 2 goals and has tied again for the goal scoring lead in the WHL and he could have more as his VAN Giants are tied with the EDM Oil Kings 3-3 in the 2nd period.

NCAA:

C Dustin Walsh got his 4th goal of the season as Dartmouth clobbered Harvard 8-2.

RW Danny Kristo has an assist for North Dakota in a 5-2 game in progress.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

31. Eric37 says:

To shut-out, or get shut out?

That is the question.

E.

32. MTLForever says:

This game is really boring..but what do you expect? Were also taking stupid penalties.

33. homerbowen says:

Our little guys keep getting pushed off the puck. Too many tiny tots on one team. Given Gomez’ and Crosby’s salary are comparable I would be happy if Gomez played half as good as Crosby, but he’s not even close. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team? Our $8M man plays with no heart or passion so the rest of the players follow suit. If Gomez is still like this by Jan1st then we had better consider removing him (Hamilton) or the cancer will eat away at the rest of the team.

34. MTLForever says:

Agreed, I have a feeling they’ll be on edge and take it to em

35. dre1744 says:

I’m fully expecting the boys too come out flying tommorow  and put it too the Sabres.

36. savethepuck says:

The good news is that so far this year we’ve usually bounced back from a bad game and no team can win every game in today’s NHL

37. MTLForever says:

I hear ya, I’d rather lose with at least 1 goal from us or being shut out but play a solid game..

38. dre1744 says:

How many times are the boys gonna get shutout this season.

39. habstrinifan says:

Thanks for updates. Please include impression of defense players in AHL as best you can in next updates. Big team may need a call-up.

40. habzfan2003 says:

Potential troll comment: Mighty habs get shut out again :(

Apparently you don’t shoot the puck on the pp when you’re down 3-0. Instead just pass it around a bit…

41. MTLForever says:

Put it behind us, gotta play tomorrow.

42. Habs Fan says:

That was the least entertaining game I have watched in a while…

On another note where is the stats man – SeriousFan? I’ve noticed that Price (or even Auld [almost] tonight) seem to shut teams out successfully in the first period on a regular basis. Are there any stats about this? Probably not but I have been curious.

43. savethepuck says:

Every team has a bad night. You can’t say this team has no grit. You have every right to say you are embarrassed that they sucked so bad tonight but that is different than making a statement about the team in general.  We still have an incredible record.

44. fofe510 says:

The Habs haven’t played this poorly in a very long time.  This is pathetic!

45. Kooch7800 says:

say what you want but this team has ZERO gritt.  They didn’t even show up tonight

46. lavie says:

So boring 1st period; so boring area!

47. OverseasFan says:

Good god, were we really outshot 47 to 25?

48. MontrealAtheist says:

7 goals, including an own goal, should be enough.

49. Hagar says:

I said he wasn’t to blame for the loss. Nice of you for looking out though. I’m not from Montreal, but will agree with you that Montreal ‘tenders should have a Goalie Crisis Hotline for them to call after stretches of poor play.

50. Aaron13 says:

All three goals showed a complete lack of concentration and the entire team was flat.

As far as my favorite whipping boy, Gomez, is concerned, he is talented but whenever I see that foolish grin and demeanour, I get the impression he’s been smoking too much weed – simply too casual. Unfortunate that his career peaked before he signed with YUL.

51. OverseasFan says:

Sorry Hagar — It’s true, you didn’t blame him. Bad reading on my part. And poor Auld!

52. Hagar says:

3 goals is stellar!?1? He didn’t lose us this game, but stellar!?!? If that’s stellar then what’s horrible…12 goals?

53. OverseasFan says:

Sorry Aaron and Hagar, but you guys sound like sore losers with that bad Montreal habit of blaming the goalie.

I feel bad for Auld. He doesn’t get to play much, and when he did this time, his team let him down. He stopped 44 shots while our offense didn’t put a single one in the net. Even if he stopped 47 shots we still would only have been 0-0.

54. The Cat says:

And so the slide back to average has slowly begun. Yeah the habs beat some good teams, but they had a bit of an advantage scheduling wise for a lot of those games. Not always gonna be like that, unless Price keeps saving the day, which hes shown he can.

55. Bob_Sacamano says:

A couple of weeks ago the Habs were only good because they had an easy schedule. Since then this teams has beaten Boston, Philly, Vancouver and L.A. Now, after playing  .500 hockey for a couple of games the slide back to average has begun. Seriously, what a load of crap.

56. MannyR says:

It was a painful game to watch. The only bright spot was that the Leafs lost too.

57. showey47 says:

please show some proof that we had some advantage scheduling?

58. Habscat says:

Tough one to stomach last night. We lost all the battles and looked disinterested most of the night. Gomez had 1 good shift with about 7 minutes left in the third where he set up Gionta 3 times, other than that, float city. Spacek was Spacek (brutal), and the team was flat. I still think that AK46, Pleks, and Cammy have to play together. When they dont, only Plekanec is noticable. Auld held it close, but who cares, teams don’t usually win when they score zero.

http://stores.ebay.com/Gushue-Sports-Cards  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMFshp16J8

59. LA Loyalist says:

Well we have far bigger problems than Alex auld if we can’t bother showing up two games in a row. 45 shots. I think auld did ok, but the point is the team culture seems very spasmodic. Wasn’t the blow up to build a different culture?

Yeah I’m seeing that, losing to Cleveland nashville and Atlanta? Badly?

Nice work there bob and Pierre

60. Mirror-TV says:

One line teams have bad games…no one to pick up the slack…this team is good enough to win against anybody…oh I can’t touch that 3rd line…they’re a power house…sure… they score, maybe every 5 or 6 games…Halpern is a 2nd line center, playing on the 3rd line…Gomez a 4th line center playing on the 2nd line…I said a long time ago…it’s a money thing…they can’t have a $8,000,000 player…playing on the 3rd or 4th line…that’s why they won’t move Gomaz…he’s killing the rest of the team…Halpern should be on the 2nd line with Pouliot and Gionta…if the 1st line is not have a good game…these guys should be able to pick up the slack…there’s no other players better for the 2nd line…and until JM at least try’s this combo…the Habs will play like this for the rest of the season…the rest of the players see the $8,000,000 dollar man doing nothing…why should they work their butts off for $600,000…this is a on and off team, the way it’s sit up right now…so I guess we’ll have to get use to it.

if they don’t show up tomorrow night…buffalo will collect 2 easy points…I’ll keep saying it…top 6 forwards on the 1st and 2nd lines…or this team will pay big time down the road…sure hope not…this is a good team…if they’d only sort the second line out…we need a 2nd line that can score…when the 1st is not… Big Time….that’s the only problem this team has…Good luck tomorrow night……..

61. Chuck says:

The best thing that could be said about the game is that they managed to hold Atlanta to three goals; the streak is alive!

When it rains, it pours: Habs miss flight

62. dudurules says:

I think Auld will be solid tonight but similar to Monday the Habs will come out flying but tapper off in the third… hopefully they’ll learn from Monday

63. samTHEman says:

Pleky 2 goals 1 assist boooya!!

64. SmartDog says:

And predictably there you are.

It’s part of group theory. Look it up. There ARE things to learn in life.

——-

65. J_P says:

Atlanta is no slouch, so we wouldnt be playing down to them, we would be taking their past futility for granted.  Just like the game against nashville, this isnt an emotional game for the habs.  Hopefully they see the value in the two points, and dont just look at the fact that they arent playing a rival or a top team.

I think they learnt their lesson with the losses against nashville and philly, and I dont think Martin will let them underestimate the thrashers.  Thrashers have been scoring a lot lately, but I think our team defense is up to the task.

4-2 habs is my prediction.

66. Aaron13 says:

Cammalleri was the best player.

67. joeybarrie says:

I dont want to start a rebellion…………  BUT it’s funny how Halak’s save percentage is the same this season as Price’s last season, but of course Halak is doing GREAT…. Yet Pricey was AWFUL last season…

Alot of people in this city think goals and wins are the only measure of a player. THAT and they think MAB is a solution….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

68. zak says:

how do you feel about Nomez?

69. matmacat says:

why do you have to hold a grudge? Let it go joeybarrie. Save your strength for another war.

70. joeybarrie says:

I will hold the ‘GRUDGE’ as long as I see fans are not being fair to one player compared to another.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

71. joeybarrie says:

I feel that both Gionta and Gomez have underperformed this season. I think that Cammi is not scoring to his potential, and neither is AK.

Gomez is BY FAR the worst of the performers, HOWEVER, I dont think you can simply let the others off the hook because of Gomez’ salary…

These are the little inconsistencies that really bug me. You really think our CAPTAIN is doing just fine with 5 points more than our HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT??

But its ok, cause as soon as Gomez starts producing again, we will be RIGHT ON to Hal Gill’s plus minus and calling for his head……..YET we want to bring in a guy who’s Plus minus in ten times worse……..

I guess all I ask for is a little common sense.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

72. Aaron13 says:

Thank-you for your unsolicited comment.

All three goals showed poor concentration on his part as well as poor rebound control.

I always viewed Auld as a poor choice to sign as a backup. Eight teams in nine NHL seasons with essentially a .500 winning %. He’s only played a little over 160 games in that period of time.

73. LA Loyalist says:

You,re unsolicited butt wink. Let the guy make a comment. If you disagree challenge him. That’s how it works. And I’ll defend you if you ever deserve it.

74. habstrinifan says:

You know Dog I wanted to post a question re the sense that there is something brewing in the room. But I was thinking geez it’s just me. You seem to be saying the same thing.

I hope you are wrong but there seems to be something not right. Everytime the HABS come of a series of full practice sessions or a prolonged break there seems to be a less-together squad. Maybe there is some sort of power struggle or dissatisfaction.

Is there a leadership vacuum. There is no way that the hyped closeness of Gionta and Gomez and Gomez’s atrocious play so far is not affecting Gionta and the team. Especially with all the finagling of lines to find the ‘solution for Gomez’.

So many ‘like’ forwards plying their trade with ‘like numbers’ on interchangeable lines.. .. are there silent resentments being harboured.

JM started the season not over-using Gill. Then he changed suddenly around our first encounter with Ottawa. He now uses the pairing of Gill and Georges to the detriment of offensive momentum, especially in the first period.

Is Cammy withdrawing from a leadership voice in the room. What is annoying Pleks lately. And has AK46 gone back to being a loner off and on the ice.

I dont know if I am reading too much in your post but I too am sensing some disquiet in the squad.

I am seeing now the new focus is “habs donthave puck carrying defensemen”. BS! What HABS seem not to have is defensemen who have been given the greenlight (Georges/Subban/Picard) to become fully involved in 5-on-5 offense. Our D-MEN are obviously restrained from becoming involved offensively 5-on-5. Only contribution from D-M in offense has been ‘shots from the point’.

In a recent game ON tsn (I think was against Leafs) the color guy remarked how Subban had made a rush expecting forwards to join him and the only option he had was to fire a harmless shot at net and skelter back to his zone cause no one had join in the offense.

While I am on this rant, I am fed up of everyone citing the Kings game as a fine example of how well we could play. As I posted after that game, the Kings were skilled and fast but they played an unorganized and unphysical game. And their immediate record before and after the habs game vindicate the observation that the Kings were not playing great hockey. Habs game against Toronto was a better played game by the habs. And so was our first period in the 3-0 loss to Philly. But then Gill and Georges duo were overused to ‘protect’.

There seems to be a bad trend developing with HABS.

75. SmartDog says:

UNFORTUNATE PREDICTION: I think this is the start of a bumpy ride while the team sorts out some internal issues.  The honeymoon is over and the power struggle has started… the team willl come out stronger for it, but it might not be pretty in the meantime.

——-

76. SeriousFan09 says:

What power struggle? Is Cammalleri going to lead an insurgency over the C issue? Habs came out flat against a Sunbelt team, quelle surprise.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

77. timothy13 says:

I fail to understand how the Montreal Canadiens can be so inconsistent. I believe their record so far is that they have been SHUT OUT FIVE TIMES this season. Wow! A terrible record and what is stranger still is that most times they bounce back and play like team with speed, skills and determination afterwards. I wonder if something is wrong with this team, management or the owners. I mean how is it this group of players can show up and play and then NOT the next game. Wednesday’s 4-1  win over LA was a brilliant game and illustrated that when this team puts in a 100% effort they can win and win big. But then again when they fail to show up they lose, BIG TIME. This has been a pattern for the last few years. WHY!! Someone, anyone, please tell me why this happens. It is unbelievable! Price has been a star and a wonderful surprise but he can not score goals and win when this team does not play. The Habs were so badly outshot it is surprising the score was only 3-zip. Does this team lack pride because the talent is there but only when they care to put forth the effort. But damn it is embarassing when they lose. Several teams last year really pounded the Habs and yet this team has staggered and it is shocking. FIVE times they have been shut out……amazingly sad….I feel bad for Auld as back up because the Habs hung him out with no D or offensive. The squad just did not care….what now, Martin yells @ them and Sat night against Buff the Habs snap out of their funk and they win?! Buff will not be a push over. I fail to comprehend how this team can be embarssed and yet they continue to allow it to happen. I believe it was Steve Shutt who said years ago that the dynasty team in the 70s did not like to lose. Well it has been a much different story this season and last one too……………

78. SeriousFan09 says:

They’ve been shut out 3 times and shut out the opposition 4 times this season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

79. WindsorHab-10 says:

That’s what is so frustrating about this team.

80. savethepuck says:

Shut out 4 times I think and as I’ve said before, when we lose, I’d rather we get embarrassed because we have been bouncing back from bad games.  Much better than losing a string of 1 goal games and not realizing there is a problem.  Everyone on this site wants to dismantle a roster that is 14-8-1 because they $#it to bed once in a while.  “Chillax, we’re not gonna win the Stanley Cup in the first game of the preseason”.  We have a good squad, no one in today’s NHL is going to win every game.  There should be no talk about trading for this or picking up this guy until we are close to the trade deadline.  That’s when deals are made.  Teams will dump good players who are coming up for free agency next summer when they know they are not in the playoff run anymore.  Seriously< I thought 90% of this site were GMs and knew this.

81. habs365 says:

According to the Rocket…it’ll be a barn burner tonight…hoping for the Habs…at the same time…may the best team win

82. jimmy shaker says:

PG reconsidering his stance on MAB…….thank you PG, you’re coming to your senses I see!

Shaker

83. VancouverHab says:

Oh dear God, No.

84. VancouverHab says:

They miss Markov; they should miss Marvov; the will miss Markov. Plain & simple.

(Not that they’ll bomb — but they’ll struggle at times.)

85. Nilan4Pres says:

Is it wrong that even listening to Pierre McGuire saying that the Habs are the best team in Canada I still want to smack him in the back of the head?

86. WindsorHab-10 says:

They’ve been shut out 4 times. Against Devils, Blue Jackets, Nashville & Atlanta.

87. SeriousFan09 says:

Forgot about the Devils but this match had nothing to do with getting edged physically, it was about being absent mentally.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

88. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Statement – At the quarter point of the season, a top four seed is a realistic goal for the Habs.

Achieving such would require the Habs to remain ahead of Bruins in the standings for remainder of season – any chance?

89. lakechamplain says:

It’s kind of obvious a quarter of the way thru the season the Habs have some scoring issues.  Isn’t it about time JM and the powers that be try something more than shuffling the lines? As in bring some guys up from Hamilton and/or swing a trade(admittedly easier said than done).  Travis Moen is a great guy but years past being a top 6 forward, SG is a classy player in some regards but has lost the ability to score. And so on.  Max Pac is not a cure all by any stretch, Desharnies(sp?) is small etc.  But at least they could bring some new energy. Oops, forgot about the one-way and two-way contracts the various players have.  Anyone care to remind me how these contracts inhibit who plays at what level?  Even when they beat Philly a week ago it was Price that was mainly responsible.  You’ve got to be able to exert some offensive pressure at 5 on 5 and the Canadians can’t do that very often.

90. habs365 says:

91. Curtis O Habs says:

In the event some sucker may bite on a Gomez trade, (L.A.), his minutes, face off`s and and whatever points he can muster playing with the best players, must be that of a first or second line center. Thats why they play him.

92. joeybarrie says:

OK OK we were shut out. The Caps were shut out 0-5 twice this season (ONCE TO ATLANTA), and managed only 1 goal three times…

BUT its clear we are missing a top defender AND a top 6 forward. I believe we need to address these things this season in order for us to have a shot at the Cup.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

93. habsgod says:

can 1 of my fellow hio members please tell me how much cap space we currently have?

94. SeriousFan09 says:

I believe one figure I read today had the Habs at 6.8 million in free space when Markov officially does go on LTIR, at present they have 1.069 million in cap space.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

95. habsgod says:

thanks serious fan!

96. light_n_tasty says:

Montreal with have 5.75 mil in free space once Markov officially goes on LTIR, because LTIR only gives cap relief in the amount an additional Markov would put the team over the cap.  So you don’t get the extra 1.069 mil you already have.

97. Hagar says:

So if we pick up a replacement for Markov for the same 5.75 cap hit and exceed the limit, we can’t spend anymore and lose out on the million we had before? Is this what you’re saying?

98. light_n_tasty says:

Exactly.  For example, if the Habs were already 5.75 mil under the cap when Markov went down, they would get no cap relief whatsoever.

99. Hagar says:

But if PG has the hots for a UFA forward and decides to go out and sign him for a million, and then decides to pick up Markov’s replacement for 5.75, that’s OK too right? We can play around with our million any way we like until we replace Markov, right? Maybe make a trade for different backup goalie that’s pricier than Auld. You’re saying we can’t do any of that though if we pick up a replacement defender that costs us 2 million, correct?

100. Aaron13 says:

A plywood cutout of Auld between the pipes would have stopped as many shots as the real one.

101. savethepuck says:

What a ridiculous comment. He was our best player on the ice.  The team sucked tonight.  His save percentage was 936.  You must of been one of the guys last year that blamed Carey for a loss when he faced 50 and lost 1-0

102. Psycho29 says:

Yeah and a plywood cutout of you would have made a more intelligent comment. Thanks for stopping by.

103. rocketsglare says:

If it were not for Auld’s stellar play tonight, the Habs would have lost by a wider margin. Unlike the team,

Auld came to play. He did not lose this game.

104. observer says:

Amazing first 2 months with a day to go. Habs have been shut out FOUR times each time 3-0(NJ, Atl, Nash, Col). Habs also have shutout TWO opponents 3-0(Phil, Ott).That’s SIX 3-0 games. Note – Habs also recorded TWO 2-0 shutouts(Tor, Van).

105. g says:

Boone, are you back tonight?

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

106. tintin says:

3-2 for the habs. Go habs go!

107. rocketsglare says:

What a golden opportunity for the Habs to further distance themselves in the Northeast Division by

taking advantage of today’s losses by both Boston and Ottawa by winning tonight. Let’s hope they

can deliver tonight with a big team win.

108. HabsFanInTampa says:

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully we won’t play “down” to our competition and we’ll be able to put the game away early.