Game 22: Phantom trip lifts Sabres over Habs

Canadiens’ Steve Bégin is in hot pursuit of the puck.
Dave Sandford, Getty Images

Look here for game photos.

Lineups | Preview | Hickey Game Story | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone’s Blog

Thomas Vanek scored with 8:33 left to play tonight, taking advantage of a highly dubious penalty called on Montreal defenceman Mike Komisarek 76 seconds earlier, to give the Buffalo Sabres a 4-2 victory over the visiting Canadiens.

Daniel Paille scored an empty-net goal with 14 seconds to play to add the insurance goal.

Vanek backhanded a rebound past Canadiens goalie Carey Price with Komisarek serving a tripping penalty, the Montreal rearguard having dived to clear a puck, Sabres’ Derek Roy sailing over his stick to draw the minor.

The call left Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau practically beside himself in anger, and Komisarek delivered a few words to referee Dan Marouelli as he skated back to the Habs bench. Carbonneau mockingly applauded the referees as he returned to the dressing room after the game.

Shots on goal were even at 32-32.

The Canadiens didn’t help themselves by having to fight from behind for most of the evening.

Tomas Plekanec had brought the Habs back from a 2-0 deficit with the tying goal at 4:56 of the third, doing a nifty bit of shot-blocking to start the effort.

A shot by Sabres’ Jaroslav Spacek rattled off Plekanec’s shin, was scooped up by Andrei Kostitsyn in Montreal ice, and Kostitsyn sent Plekanec away on a fast-skating semi-break, where he stickhandled his way to a close-in short-side wrist shot past Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller, Spacek giving desperate chase.

The Sabres were first on the scoreboard at 8:56 of the first period, Roy scoring his eighth of the season on a perfect deflection of a shot from the faceoff circle by Maxim Afinogenov. Canadiens’ Tom Kostopoulos was serving a slashing penalty at the time when the puck glanced past Price.

Soon afterward, the Habs earned a four-minute power-play of their own when Buffalo’s Henrik Tallinder cut Canadiens’ Alex Kovalev with a high stick across the bridge of his nose. The Habs got a couple of shots, but failed to mount any serious pressure on Miller.

With just less than two minutes to play in the first, Paille split Canadiens defencemen Roman Hamrlik and Patrice Brisebois to break in alone on Price, but was confidently turned back by the rookie Habs netminder.

Montreal outshot Buffalo 11-9 in the first period.

The Canadiens had a scare in the early moments of the game when defenceman Andrei Markov was tripped up and slid awkwardly into the boards of his own end, seeming to crush his left shoulder. Markov, having a terrific, potentially All-Star season, lay on the ice for a couple of minutes and was tended to by Canadiens head athletic trainer Graham Rynbend before getting to his feet and leaving the rink without help.

The Sabres made it 2-0 at 7:39 of the second. Tim Connolly scored his second of the year, banging a rare rebound off Price, a point shot by Brian Campbell caroming off the goalie’s left pad.

But the Canadiens got that one right back on the power play, Christopher Higgins netting his ninth of the year and third in as many games, whipping a wrist shot off his back foot past Miller. Higgins had done some fine work to first set up a point shot by Mark Streit.

Miller might have had a point when he complained that Canadiens captain Saku Koivu, who also earned an assist, had interfered with him, crashing through the crease a few seconds earlier.

The Sabres held a 13-10 edge in shots in the second period.

The Canadiens and Sabres both chartered out of Buffalo for Montreal just after the game. The two teams meet again Saturday at the Bell Centre, before the Canadiens head down to Toronto for Tuesday’s game vs. the Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.

Statistical quick hits, pre-game:

– How the Canadiens and Sabres match up this season and through the years;
– Montreal’s penalty-killing unit is partly responsible for the team’s success on the road, with the Canadiens surrendering only seven goals in 50 power-play opportunities for their opponents this season, ranking it seventh in the NHL;
– Rosters and statistics.

1. ClaytonM says:

No, Dionne tipped the puck. I just thought it showed no class pointing to yourself to get the credit.

2. TommyB says:

Your defense of Ryder, though admirable, has become quite similar to a Quebecer defending any francophone on the team. Can you tell me the difference? The argument is getting old.

3. mar-lin says:

pat burns was great! I often enjoy watching the classic games just so i can see some of these old coaches at work. I really enjoyed watching Jaques Demers,Michel bergeron and…shoot what was his name! Barry Melrose!!! is that it? With his buissness in the front and party in the back hair cut.AAAAHHHHH good times!

cheers

go habs go

4. mar-lin says:

i don’t know…i think it’s a mistake personally. If these are our first line players then we should let them work it out. As long as it doesn’t hurt the team…which so far it hasn’t.

cheers

tup gun!!

go habs go

5. Yeats says:

I really do like Pat Burns!

6. Yeats says:

For example, they’re playing the Kings/leafs ’93 semi as I type.

7. Yeats says:

They’ve been playing the ’93 rounds as part of their Classic Series shows. I have seen the series against the Nords as part of that. I just don’t have a guide for programming on NHL Net. I have bee catching them by accident. And, you’re right about Dionne. That was the Breezer’s goal!

8. ClaytonM says:

Have they been showing their entire 93 Cup run on that channel? I’d like to catch their comeback win against the no-dekes. I can still remember thinking what a douche Dionne was when he was pointing at himself for deflecting that goal :)

9. Yeats says:

Yea, you can’t do the “lifty” over the glass anymore without getting a penalty. And, you can’t just ice it either, because the same five skaters have to remain on the ice.

10. Moey says:

Makes sense, there is a lot of strategy to the game that I don’t know about, or don’t notice, but being on here is helping quite a bit. I just scream “get it out of there” when they’re trapped in their own zone.

11. Yeats says:

During the second period, your bench is closer to the opposition’s defensive end. If the offense can keep in in your end during the second for a long period of time, you’re pretty much screwed because you can’t change on the fly. Unless, one of your guys is so beat he just says the hell with it and goes to the bench anyway.

12. Moey says:

What is the long change in the second? I don’t know what that is. (I’m being serious).

13. Yeats says:

I think your friend and I have very similar views of the game. I hated dumping it in. It only made sense to me if you did at full speed on a defenseman whose skating skills were suspect and you could “turn” him as he went from backwards to forwards. Given the skating ability of most defensemen in the NHL today though, you’re just giving up possession a lot of the time.

14. Yeats says:

Watching Habs/Kings ’93 series on NHL Net. I like watching hockey games that took place before I had grey hair!

15. Yeats says:

An interesting thought: If the purpose of cycling is to wear down the opposition players in their own end, then you really want to do it to the max in the second period when they have the long change. What do you guys think?

16. Yeats says:

Ian Cobb’s “Teats” is still the hands down winner as far as I’m concerned.

17. habfan53 says:

I hope Carbo has these guys properly prepared. Buffalo is one of the teams that always gives us a hard time. We are 95-93 alltime against them.

18. Moey says:

I remember that Krob1000, I really had to bite my tongue, or rather glue my fingers together!!!

19. krob1000 says:

One time someone mistyped (or so they said) my handle knob1000….I couldn’t help laughing though. Yeafs….had me laughing too once you pointed it out Moey!

20. Moey says:

Wayne,

YeaTs has had a few variations of his name posted on this site, but I think you win it for being the most derogatory, “Yeafs” is dangerously close to “Leafs”. (All in good fun….welcome to the site)!!!

21. KamiDave says:

Totally agree on that as I was thinking the exact same thing.

22. krob1000 says:

I just read that Kerry Fraser is actually the real whistle blower in the Balco scandal…. http://www.utterbaloney.com

23. Morency says:

I have to agree that Ryder is playing better of late. The puck is going to start going in for him and we are going to need those goals down the stretch. If you break this line up then that means that Ryder or Higgins goes down to the third line. I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing.

24. nightmare_49 says:

I know where you coming from and maybe it’s a work in progress if they open it up a bit. My friend is the same way with chipping it in or dumping it in as he was a great stickhandler in his day and can’t adapt to that style. I’m not sayin your a bad cycler, by the way, just pointing out an observation that drives my buddy crazy as he’s also very offensive minded and always wanted to make the perfect play and that and bad knees cost him a trip to the show as years ago if you had a serious knee or shoulder injury the scouts wrote you off.

25. Wayne says:

Precisely what i meant, Yeafs.
    A little video homework can reveal patterns where a designate player on a line, has this opportunity. I hear what krob1000 has said and it surely makes sense. But if a “payoff play” presents itself and isn’t taken, the effort’s in vain.

I see it often – all three forwards cycling trailed by their covers while 2 (defending) opposition forwards cover the attacking “D” hovering up at the blueline. More often than not, there’ a gaping hole in the slot and the goalie is clearly alone. If the attacking forward shakes his coverage just as he starts back up over the crease by the boards, the trailing man (or D-man) can dart into the open for a shot fed by the front of the train. Habs have all the speed to do it, too.

I know, it’s harder than it sounds but these are scoring chances missed.

26. Yeats says:

I do see the point that you and krob1000 have made. I would just like to see the “payoff play” at the end of the cycle a little more often. You wonder if linemates should make an agreement to do it for at most 25 seconds then the weak side forward goes hard to the net as the puck carrier blasts it.

27. krob1000 says:

Probably 25 years of transparent contact cement use on his hair. It really was unbelievable how it never moved. I suspect he used the same starch Don Cherry uses in his collars (I think it was purchased from some Balco or Baldo company). Yes, It was Balco…I remember now. They call it “the clear” and while it may do wonders for the hair there are rumours that it can have adverse effects if taken for a long period of time. Some symptoms include temporary blindness, dizziness or sense of confusion and loss of balance (thus explaining the need for the helmet).

28. Yeats says:

I miss the “do.” Not a hair out of place, ever!

29. nightmare_49 says:

brian – Cycling wears down the opposition and frustrates them and with the Habs the Pleks line is great offensively and aware defensively but have trouble in our own end when the opposition cycles and that is their achillies same with Lats-Smol-Dandy when they were together more so than the other lines. It’s not exciting but you know what they say that if you can control the rubber you control the game.

30. Geoff F says:

Yeats…it doesn’t look like it.

He was also one of the last three NHL officials covered by the grandfather clause that allowed him to go without a helmet, thus allowing his signature bouffant hairstyle. However, with the ratification of the new NHL Officials Association collective bargaining agreement on March 21, 2006, all officials, including Fraser, are now required to wear a helmet.[3]

31. Yeats says:

Any truth to the rumor that the reason Kerry has donned a lid is because he is actually going bald?

32. Geoff F says:

Hey did anyone see the article about Lecavalier was almost a Leaf? Now that would have been horrible. This was under the Quinn era and man that would have been unbearable. I’m just glad it didn’t pan out. However maybe knowing that it almost happened gives us hope that something like that might still happen….yeah i know i’m dreaming. It’s not the first time but man I salivate just thinking about it.

33. krob1000 says:

Penalties are very important today it seems to me that penalties should be allowed to be called by linesmen as well. They want to reduce highsticking penalties yet so often I see high sticks (accidental but still need to be called) go uncalled (yet on replays you can clearly see they weren’t unnoticed but the linesman can only call the more severe ones I believe). I would much prefer two referees disagreeing , holding a ten second conference and getting the call right instead of two referees each assuming the other will make the call and letting things go some nights and not others. People make mistakes but two heads (or four) should be better than one.

As for Kerry Fraser…….Well, I don’t want to be banned from my favourtie site so we’ll leave that alone.

34. Yeats says:

It’s a much more exciting brand of hockey to watch. The only thing I do wonder about is if the teams have really adjusted fully to the fact that the two-line pass is now legal. I would have expected teams with speed, such as the Habs, to execute far more stretch passes and there to be far more breakaways. On the officiating, I wonder if employing two refers has unintentionally introduced inherent inconsistency? I could be wrong but in our first game against the leafs, Kerry Fraser didn’t call much of anything, while his younger partner made all the bogus calls on the Habs. I’d rather have just one bad referee than two who see the same game through totaly different eyes.

35. krob1000 says:

Post lockout hockey……I hear various televison personalities and what not referring to how the scoring numbers haven’t really increased. From where I stand (more like sit…on a couch) I think the post lockout hockey is much better and I am quite a fan of the “new NHL”. Things were too bogged down but now the problem is consistency amongst officials. It has got to be just as hard on them (changing the rules) but the variation from game to game is ridiculous right now.

36. Bouleau noir says:

I cant see any of these two teems sitting back in order to calm things down while hoping to get away with a win.

Defense will have to support Offense and Offense will have to support Defense,.. both teams have finesse and speed….. the team that shows the best instinc and cohesion will have more chances,… post lock-out hochey at its best tonight.

37. Yeats says:

That is a fair point. Playing defense for some reason, maybe psychological, is much more tiring than playing offense. You can even see it in an average pickup game with overage players such as myself. If you get the puck in the other team’s end and start moving it around, it just kills the shift for the opposition. Having said that, you want your efforts to be rewarded with a goal. In the case of the Habs, that doesn’t happen as often as it should. At some point, once you’ve taken some of the jump out of the opposition, you need to either shoot or get someone in the dangerous space I mapped out above. Otherwise, all you have done is conduct a passing clinic.

38. krob1000 says:

I understand the frustration as this sometimes bothers me too. My own hockey team does this as well and it frustrated me but then a couple of the guys who recently graduated from the OHL ranks told me that they were always taught to run it as long as they could. It made sense as they explained it……They said that the defenders always tire first and that defending it is as tiring as defending shorthanded. They also said by keeping the puck in the opposing teams end obviously you can”t be scored on but you may in fact be able to change a couple players (d-men) while the other team tires. Normally they are too tired and often they take dumb penalties on top of the chances that do result. They also said that when you pass back to the point out of a successful cycle the other team will normally be too tired to take advantage of an errant pass and they usually have to stay collapsed almost like on a powerplay. When it was put to me like that I couldn’t really argue too much so now I play the cycle game too (the bonus is our league only allows body contact and actually hitting is banned as we all work now) and although I have yet to score out of one one of our lines has at least two that I can remember.

39. Yeats says:

Welcome to the show! You’re spot on on the whole cycling issue. That perimeter stuff drives me nuts. Assuming the other team’s goaltender is good on his angles and has decent reflexes, you aren’t going to do squat. As a defending player, I’d let you spend the whole night passing it back and forth waiting for the perfect shot. To be successful on an ongoing basis, you have to move into dangerous space in the other team’s zone, i.e. the area between the faceoff dots and in from the hash marks. They were the result of absolutely woeful defensive zone coverage, but three of the Sens four goals were potted from within that area. That’s why the leafs score as much as they do. For every pretty goal they score, they get two god-ugly ones.

40. The Ian Cobb says:

KROB1000–That is just about right!

41. habfan53 says:

I used to run groups to Montreal to catch the HABS play what I did was book the hotel that the visiting team used. We always ran into players be it in the lobby or elevators.
    Good Luck and have a great holiday.

42. Wayne says:

Hi folks, first “official post”. Great people = Great Blogs

“Sick of the Buffalo Sabres yet?”

I’d have to say, not really. Not as much as seeing Ottawa freewheel against us (and everyone else) but, i see your point. As long as we still have the Sabres # we should continue to pound on them because at one point in the season, they just might wake up and explode with “point-age” as we know them to be fully capable of.

General concerns and hopes:

I get frustrated by watching the tactic of cycling by all lines in the offensive zone for too long before shooting or initiating chances. Often, the puck is sent back up to a D-man for a point shot. I’d like to see a player break the cycle once in a while and capitalize on the open slot between the hash marks or get in a position to bang in the rebound.

Cheers!

43. mar-lin says:

i agree with you as far as staying the course with the personel we have. Besides EVERY player has a season of lower productivity than his average. Maybe this is that year for both ryder and higgins, if we see the same thing again next year that’s different. I don’t think it’s wise to give up on a player because of one bad season.In this case we are only talking about 1/4 of a season. When the trade deadline comes around then MAYBE we make a move, that’s how i see it.

cheers

go habs go!

44. mar-lin says:

thanks man, i was looking through previous threads without much luck. Hopefully this voting plan will work and we can have 4 habs in the lineup! I can’t even remember when that happened last. I’m sure you guys have already spread the word but i’ll go out and reinforce it. Maybe get the rds bloggers involved…if they aren’t already. Anyway thanks again!

cheers

go habs go!

45. Habs_008 says:

I like the the top 2 lines the way they are, I would like to see a 3rd line of Kosto, Chipura, and Lates and the forth can be Dandideau, Begin and Smolinzki. Maybe it was like that last game, not sure i didnt see last game. Ryder has been playing well of late, as long as we are winning more then losing, i dont see it as a big problem yet. Lets score more 5 on 5, the PP might die down, if it does we are screwed.

46. Yeats says:

As of this morning, we’re the third best team in the entire League. Way ahead of where most of the pundits thought we’d be. We have the luxury of waiting with the present squad. There really isn’t a pressing need to do anything at this point in time. We trade Ryder and it’s just going to be a replay of John LeClair. Personally, I don’t what to get “Houled” again. Sure, he hasn’t found the back of the net as much as we’d all like. But, he hasn’t been a liability defensively either and to be fair he’s been busting his ass out there. Those that criticize Higgins in response have a valid point as well. His production per chance is certainly no better than Ryder’s and I’d be willing to bet it’s lower. Also, the one he got at the Island the other night, sheer momentum carried the puck over the line. Not a fantastic finish. I am convinced that they should be on different lines, but I leave that to other posters who enjoy coming up with line combinations.

47. Chuck says:

Thay can bury the knife… thy’re just not very adept at turning it around and carving up vital organs once it’s in there.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

48. TradeRyder says:

Hey Newf!

I’m not dissing Ryder! He’s a good player! I’m just bugged that we don’t have a REAL first line… and one thing’s for sure, it’s no Koivu. As someone posted above, maybe Higgins isn’t a first line guy either.

I’m saying this: we have a much stronger team, but the ONE AREA Mtl needs to fix is it’s first line. Maybe it’s not Ryder… and he’s definitely picked up his game, and chemistry is complex.

Dave M

PS: If he DOES pick it up and go for another 30, I might or might not praise him, but I’ll definitely eat my words. Um, as long as his plus-minus doesn’t blow up like a balloon.

____________________________________________________
    Comes to Play EVERY Game: Koivu, Huet, Higgins, Kostits, Chips…?

49. krob1000 says:

I was actually referring to the post about Montreal being a Buffalo/Ottawa hybrid but with more depth.

50. krob1000 says:

Pretty darn accurate.

51. krob1000 says:

I know we have had this debate on here before and I don’t really wish to reignite it but I thought for any new posters I better throw that out there.

52. linp says:

I still don’t understand why we didn’t try more often those tip in from close range. I am watching the same game. I am sure that there are more goals scored by a pass and a one-timer or just tip in as compared to a snap shot and go for the rebound. Our first line didn’t like to have someone parking in front of the net. Just so frustrating!

Typical example: Latendresse receives the pass in front of the net. Instead of tip in or one-time it, he stops the puck and then shoots. That one second delay gives the goalie time to react. Another example, Plekanec receives the pass from Kovy, skates in. Instead of passing to Latendresse, he shoots from a bad angle.

Using Ryder to set up the play in the PP is a joke. All he did is passing the puck back to the defense man. He is just wasting time. We should look at how they score on us. They park in front of the net and have someone dump the puck towards their own player.

53. krob1000 says:

Comes to play every game Kostitsyn??? Every game in November yes but every game??? I don’t like to get into a situation where I have to talk negatively about anyone wearing red white and blue but you seem to force me too. Higgins would not be a “first line” player on most teams in the NHL either. Maybe Higgins belongs on a differt line with a different style then as Ryder is the only one who has had PROVEN success with Koivu. Most of Higgins sucess last year came with Plekanec and Kostitsyn. I think Higgins is a lgeitimate 40-40 threat as per his personal goal. I also think that he needs to increase his awareness or he may be a 40 and 15 guy. Ryder is not a crash the net guy and he is playing very well. The puck just isn’t going in.

Last year Kovalev was the snakebitten one who had a career worst shooting percentage……I am glad we didn’t trade him although everyone called for it. The chances are there , the effort is there, the hits are there, the plus/minus (although I hate that stat) is there and even if he doesn’t score it can’t be denied that just having him on the ice opens up space for Higgins and Koivu. When Ryder has the puck teams immediately close to prevent him from shooting, unlike Higgins (who will improve in this area) Ryder does have good vision and has set up both Koivu and Higgins countless times. I think I can honestly count one one hand (not counting my thumb either) the number of times I have seen Higgins make a nice pass. Higgins’ strength is stickhandling, puck retrieval and his quick release. Once he combines it with awareness he will be incredible.

54. Revolution No. 9 says:

You’re totally entitled to your opinion, but you must realise that you’re going to get that comment with in every thread you post. Someone new is bound to say something each time.

Just sayin’

55. Habs_008 says:

Thats awesome that you get to go to LA, I live in T.O and I went to the last Habs vs Laffs game, 4-3 habs btw! I’m also going to Gainey night in Feb, can’t wait for that. Never been to LA and the only hab/former hab I have met was Demars, who you all know coached the habs to the 93 championship. He is a very nice guy. Have fun in LA, Go HABS GO!

56. HabFab says:

You should try doing an arena tour on game day.
    Here in Montreal, if you take a tour of the Bell Center on a gameday, you are more than likely to run into a Hab or two.
    Can’t speak for what it’s like in LA, but my educated guess is that would be somewhat similar.

57. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Hi Dave,
    About the comment to reverse the order and have the most recent come up first. That would be good. Or at least bring back the post numbering. That way I can go know where I left off and get back to it later.

Klondike

58. T-roy West says:

TradeRyder

You could add Carolina as a team similar in play to Montreal.

59. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Hey All,

(I posted this on Boone’s Blog too, hope you guys dont mind)

I am a constant vistor to this site, and sometime I do write, but today I have a question and could use a few tips:
    I live in the Yukon and dont get to man many games. I think it is crazy that the HAbs dont play VAn, Cal and Edm this year out west.

SO… I AM TAKING THE WHOLE FAMILY TO SEE THE LA KINGS PLAY THE HABS IN MARCH!!! (Don’t mean to shout, but I can’t help it) I am so excited. My wife and two young daughters will all be in our jerseys and we will be going crazy!!! We all watch every game “a RDS”.

SO how can I make this extra worth it for the family? DOes anyone know where to sit to get a chance at gettign an autograph? Or dare I even hope to maybe meet one of ‘Les Glorieux”???

Any help, advice or good tips would really appreciated. My family is very pumped about this and we are not sparing expense, (as we are travelling to LA from Yukon). It would blow us away to get to meet any of the HAbs, even for a few seconds. Boone, are you at these games?

Anyway, hope to get a few tips, and folks look for 4 crazy Yukoners in the stands in LA, in March. YEah Haww!!!

Love this site, check it several times a day, 365 a year.

Klondike

GO HABS GO

60. krob1000 says:

I think the achievable yet realistic goal should be three points but I would be o.k. with a split. you never know what Sabres team you will get as they did the same thing to the Senators as they did to us the other night. They can score in bunches when they are confident but they can also be thrown completely off track if you get to them early. I hope Price is ready for some fast paced action from the onset as Buffalo will come out with guns blazing. Vanek and Roy seem to be back on track so shutting them down will be another important key.

61. TradeRyder says:

It’s amazing the team has the resiliency it seems to have… the way they’ve dropped late games, and never really come back from a deficit.

Either this bodes well.. that they are prepared for set-backs, or it will catch up with them. Hard call to make. Hopefully they DO develop a killer instinct and prove to themselves (and other teams) that they can topple an Ottawa, or hold a lead against anyone.

Like they say: “You get the courage AFTER you do the brave thing.” Or in this case – the confidence.

____________________________________________________
    Comes to Play EVERY Game: Koivu, Huet, Higgins, Kostits, Chips…?

62. krob1000 says:

I agree that sometimes when it is a long article this is an issue as well. They are trying very hard and have done a great job in providing us with the best fan site out there but I do agree that a title and a link back to the article would save time and make things a lot easier. I still think the recent posts thing is a biger priority but you do raise a good point IMO.

63. Scotty90 says:

The two games against the Sabres are very important, not only to get an extra 4 points but I think, more importantly, its of great psychological importance.

64. krob1000 says:

We are all (anyone who was posted about this topic anyway) voting Kovy in as a write in……trying to get someone else in will just dilute the totals so vote for Koivu, Crosby, Markov, Huet, Kovalev and either Bouwmeester, Boyle or Timmonen (spread them out so we don’t help one too much). If you tap your k key twice in the write in box it will bring you right to Kovalev. You don’t need to fill out the draw ballot every time as you can use your back tab before filling it out and get back to the voting page. Using these methods you can usually vote about every 45 seconds or so when you are bored.

65. mar-lin says:

although i would love for the habs to win both games, i think hoping for a split is more realistic. I think these games will be very entertaining. I have based all my plans for the next 2 days around them (sorry mom but the home cooked meal will have to wait). I’m not looking forward to the laffs game…win or lose i’m always frustrated.

In regards to the all-star voting do you guys think we should organize ourselves and vote in ANOTHER hab? Maybe sneak in pleky, kovy or komy…we could do a better version of rory-gate from last year.

cheers

go habs go!

66. T-roy West says:

Roadrunner

Welcome aboard! I would love to see a sweep and with two good goaltenders anything can happen. Can’t wait to see us ranked #1 by tsn next week!

67. TradeRyder says:

Good point. If we lose a playoff position by a point this year, I’m going to be thinking of the TWO games we gave up to the Sens in the 3rd period!

Montreal seems to have it all – except for the ability to bury the knife.

____________________________________________________
    Comes to Play EVERY Game: Koivu, Huet, Higgins, Kostits, Chips…?

68. roadrunner says:

These are the games that matter most come spring time. No time like the present…kick that dog while they’re down.

69. Fab K says:

Another one for the suggestion box:

Wouldn’t it be better not to have the header (article and stats) come up on pages 2 and on? It becomes a little redundant, and you have to scroll a lot to get to the first post of the page. It could take a lot of time to load the page for people still on Dial-Up.

In other words, the article and the stats be on page 1, then the posts. Once we reach to the max number of posts on the first page, go to page 2 and start with the posts. Maybe just the title on each page could appear on the following pages.

What do you think?

70. WindsorHab-10 says:

Since early November it’s been win one, lose one. I hope we can put a good effort in Buffalo and come out with at least one point. Looking forward to a good performance from Price. GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!

71. TradeRyder says:

Oy! Ryder’s a good player. I just think he belongs on a team that plays a different style.

I’m frustrated by him taking a spot on the first line when he doesn’t have the play-making skills, speed, or finesse of our top 7 or 8 forwards. He’d be good on the Bruins, or another crash-the-net type of team.

IMHO! That’s what it’s about!

____________________________________________________
    Comes to Play EVERY Game: Koivu, Huet, Higgins, Kostits, Chips…?

72. The Ian Cobb says:

I can’t take you posts to seriously with a handle like that!

73. TradeRyder says:

These three teams are so similar in style: Mtl, Ott, Buffalo.

Montreal is like a cross between the Sabres and the Sens.

Similar to the Sabres in skill and speed, and similar to the Sens in overall strength but without the big first line.

Arguably, Montreal has more depth than both… and maybe better coaching!

____________________________________________________
    Comes to Play EVERY Game: Koivu, Huet, Higgins, Kostits, Chips…?