Game 22: Canadiens impress in crowning Kings

Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitsyn plows into the crease of Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier Wednesday night as he scores Montreal’s second goal.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

Game post update coming after audio, video collected in the dressing room

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s Soap Box | Stubbs on Twitter

POSTGAME AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Scott Gomez | Carey Price | Lars Eller | Michael Cammalleri

• POSTGAME VIDEO: Eller, Price, Gomez, Cammalleri

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette

Jacques Martin doesn’t raise his voice often, but when he does, it appears the Canadiens listen.

The
Canadiens squandered a 2-0 first-period lead in Philadelphia on Tuesday
when they allowed the Flyers to dominate the final two periods.

Martin
read the riot act Wednesday and, when faced with a similar scenario
against the Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday night, the Canadiens
responded with a solid 60-minute effort and a 4-1 triumph at the Bell
Centre.

The Kings provided Montreal with a challenge when Alec
Martinez scored his first National Hockey League goal on a power play at
1:57 of the second period to cut the Canadiens’ led to 2-1. Carey
Price, who made 24 saves for his league-leading 13th win, complained
that he was tripped up by the Kings’ Ryan Smyth after making the initial
save on Justin Williams.

But Montreal wasted no time restoring
the two-goal lead. Tomas Plekanec beat Jonathan Bernier with a shot from
the high slot at 3:16. Bernier made the initial save on Andrei
Kostitsyn but Brian Gionta got to the rebound and set up Plekanec. It
was the eighth goal of the season for Plekanec and that tied him for the
team lead with Kostitsyn, who opened the scoring in the first period.

Rookie
Lars Eller added some insurance when he potted a rebound at 18:07 of
the second period after Alexandre Picard hit a post. It was Eller’s
first goal as a Canadien.

The much-maligned Canadiens power play
provided Montreal with a 1-0 lead at 9:54 of the first period when
Kostitsyn scored off the rush, beating Bernier to the glove side. The
Canadiens went 1-for-3 with the extra man, and the No. 1 penalty-killing
unit in the NHL gave up one goal on three opportunities.

The
assists were significant on Kostitsyn’s goal. P.K. Subban rushed back to
break up a short-handed rush and started the play going in the other
direction. The first assist on the goal went to Mathieu Darche, who was
making a rare appearance on the power play. He took a pass from Subban
and pushed the puck ahead to Kostitsyn.

The Canadiens made it 2-0
at 17:37 of the opening period with the teams playing four aside. Scott
Gomez, who has been more maligned than the power play, was originally
credited with the goal, on a deflection of Michael Cammalleri’s shot
from the blueline. Gomez said he didn’t touch the puck but he received a
well-deserved assist because his pass to Roman Hamrlik set the play in
motion, then he went hard to the net. Gomez was draped all over Bernier
when Cammalleri’s shot appeared to go off Kings defenceman Drew Doughty.

The Canadiens will spend Thursday, United States Thanksgiving
Day, in Atlanta preparing for Friday night’s game against the Thrashers.
They are back home Saturday night to play the Buffalo Sabres.

LA stat page.

Jewels From The Crown – the Kings’ blog page.

LA Kings’ home page.

2. smiler2729 says:

Montreal 3, Los Angeles 1.

1st Period

MTL – Gomez (3) (Subban) 7:47

MTL – Gomez 2 (4) (Subban, Gionta) (pp) 11:29

2nd Period

MTL – Gomez 3 (5) (Plekanec, Gill) (sh) 0:27

3rd Period

LA – Simmonds 4 (Stanley, Frehley) 19:59

Why? Because I dropped Gomez today from my hockey pool so no doubt he’ll start to go on a tear.

3. JohnBellyful says:

The HIO community continues to grow. Welcome aboard, lafortune, who arrived late last night.

Here’s what to expect, lafor’. Pretty soon you’ll be receiving a visit from the Welcome Bandwagon lady. She’ll give you a bag of goodies containing a Canadiens toque, a sealed bowl of flash-frozen poutine (reheat for six minutes), a miniature Stanley Cup bearing your name, and self-tattoo kit containing team logos and players’ faces.

Oh yes, you’ll have to learn the HabsInside/Out theme song (with apologies to the seven dwarfs; no, not the ones on the team):

(Intro)
    It’s bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch
    And reputations ruin
    Or go rah, rah, rah, rah
    And sing a merry tune

HI-O, HI-O
    It’s off to post we go
    We bruise the Habs
    With all our jabs
    HI-O, HI-O, HI-O

HI-O, HI-O,
    We love our team, it’s true
    But you wouldn’t know
    By what we sow
    HI-O, HI-O, HI-O

HI-O, HI-O
    We love to second guess
    And make up lines
    As many as Heinz
    HI-O, HI-O, HI-O

HI-O, HI-O,
    Our team could use some help
    Our coach can’t coach
    And Gomer’s a roach
    HI-O, HI-O, HI-O

HI-O, HI-O
    Our team can’t seem to win
    No. 1 in the division
    But the butt of derision
    HI-O, HI-O, HI-O

HI-O, HI-O
    This is the final verse
    It’s time to post
    A roast or a toast
    So HI-DEE-HI-DEE-OHHHH!

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

4. D Alcorn says:

… useful and respectful posts.  You ARE new around here, aren’tcha  <kidding>

So, DO tell  :  where does all of this ” people bitching over others ” take place ?

Wait for it … Wait for it … …     ;-)

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

5. observer says:

punch imlach said habs would never beat leafs with a junior b goalie – he meant vachon.

6. Psycho29 says:

I think it was a multi player deal and we got a goalie, Denis DeJordy? I went to a game in 1971-72 and saw DeJordy beat his old team 10-2….

7. Kooch7800 says:

I agree on Locke.  He has the sense but is missing the intensity.

Desharnais I think has more grit and likes to get in there but with the habs current roster we would be a joke if we have the smallest forwards in the league and as seen against Philly in the playoffs that didn’t boad so well when the whistles get put away.

8. HabsFanInTampa says:

Looking at that picture of Rogie Vachon brings back memories. I cannot believe he’s not in the Hall Of Fame. Pop Quiz: Who did we get in return for trading Vachon to the Kings?

9. habs365 says:

jm still don’t know how to put lines together…if they lose it will look good on him…try to remember jm…top six forwards…1st and second line

10. Bugs says:

Well, Nottie, if you say it like that, I guess I probably DID miss the point! Ha! How do you like THAT, buddy?

So.., uh, sorry, what was it?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

11. j2w4habs25 says:

I am thinking that the Habs will win tonight with great team efford – possible Carey may get another shutout :) but am just dreaming now, but I think the guys can pull off a win.

Gomez better get something going tonight. Tonight has to be the night for him to get going.

12. j2w4habs25 says:

welcome to Habs Inside Out!

13. Robert L says:

How many saves did Criss make?

14. DD says:

Two minutes apart!

I had season tickets for the 67’s during Locke’s Junior career. I always thought he was a “can’t miss prospect’ until I saw him play against Derek Roy and the Kitchener Rangers in the play-offs. Roy owned him.

Locke led the OHL in scoring (a couple of times, I believe) and was CHL player of the year during his time in Ottawa. Although both players were relatively the same size, Roy played with an edge, he played big, he could play both ends of the rink.

I’m not knocking David Desharnais or Corey Locke but I think a small centre has to have that ‘edge’ to survive and thrive in the NHL. Locke has proven he can score in the AHL, but has been a different player when he gets sent up to the ‘big’ club. He doesn’t have that edge it takes to play in his own end of the rink. I hope I’m wrong but this might be the same fate for David Desharnais.

15. notbigbird says:

I wish that we cease this Gomez-Kovy comparison because thee is none. The former makes an effort; the latter coasted through most games — or at least he was doing that at the time.

16. Chuck says:

Here’s an idea I had a little while ago about NHL scheduling:

17. Hobie Hansen says:

DD is a speedly “LITTLE” center that carries the puck. He will normally stand out compaired to a rugged winger who bangs in garbage goals for a living. We have lots of speedy litte guys, what we need is a Pacioretty.

18. Storm Man says:

Oh I hear you.

19. SmartDog says:

The two biggest weaknesses on this team right now are the power play and Gomez.  Talking about either is natural.

For me, as much as I’d rather not have to ever talk about Gomez again, this dialogue of the last couple of days has been very satisfying.  Partly because I was shouted down early in the year by people telling me how good he was going to be, and also because I have a better sense of what he’s up against as a player – thanks in part to Robert L’s breakdown but also to some astute comments here.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

I would like to just … I can’t say it here, but it is really vile.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

He had 4G, 3A over the weekend, if HAM looked a little soft on Sunday afternoon it might have to do with having played 3 games in 3 days.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. 123456 says:

i saw hamilton play last weekend and paches did not stand out – on DD did. i actually wanted to see weber but he was with the big club. IMO only DD stood out.

23. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

And wouldn’t you know it, Locke is leading the AHL in scoring, career AHL’er.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Somebody left a post on here talking about Pacioretty’s play down in Hamilton and by glancing at his stats, he’s playing pretty good. In my humble opinion, I say leave him down there, working hard, before bringing him up early in the new year to take another stab at playing on the top two lines.

He’s not the first guy to let a few bad comments fly to the media and I’m sure it will all be forgotten by then. He’s the closest thing we have to a power forward in our organization so it would be in the Habs best interest to try and work with him.

I can’t see Deharnais being of any use at the moment because it’s next to impossible to sit or send down Gomez. You could possibly bench Gomez but hopefully things improve a little and that won’t happen. Playing Deharnais on the 3rd or 4th line is just dumb.

Deharnais would make a nice piece to a trade because he’s so small and we’re already small up the middle with Gomez and Plekanec. Neither one of them are going anywhere either.

Deharnais and a first rounder for an awesome top 6 forward closer to the deadline.

25. HabFarmer says:

You talkin’ the original?  When Burt Reynolds fires the ball right at the opponents nads and the rest of the team piles on?  Fan-freakin’-tastic.  One of my favourite Burt movies…..

Gomez will find a way – I remain positive.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

26. Storm Man says:

You think? Took me 25 mins to get to the office today, If this keeps up I will be driving over cars with my Rover.

27. Kooch7800 says:

Great minds think a like apparently

Did he go over Gomer’s entire family tree?