Game 21: Habs sit back on 2-0 lead, lose 3-2

Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre, who scored twice Monday night, gets off a shot on Flyers goalie Brian Boucher.
Al Bello, Getty Images Sport

classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

Preview | Matchups | Monday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Flyers at the quarter-pole

PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Yannick Weber | Peter Laviolette
POSTGAME AUDIO: Martin | Cammalleri | Price | Plekanec | Subban | Lapierre

At a Glance: The Canadiens rolled to a 2-0 first-period lead Monday night at the Well Fargo Center, then pretty much forgot about playing for most of the rest of the night, surrendering three unanswered goals to the Philadelphia Flyers in a 3-2 loss.

Key Moments: The forecast fireworks involving P.K. Subban and Mike Richards naturally didn’t materialize. Subban seemed a little off his game, perhaps the result of the circus of the past week. Otherwise, two goals by Maxim Lapierre and a sensational performance by goaltender Carey Price, who made 41 saves in all, were wasted.

What It Means: Consider it tasty revenge for the Flyers (14-6-2), who lost to the Habs 3-0 last week in Montreal. The Canadiens, now 13-7-1, came into the game having won six of their most recent seven on the road.

What’s Next: The Habs chartered home immediately after the game. They’re home to Los Angeles on Wednesday, in Atlanta on Friday then back to the Bell Centre on Saturday against Buffalo.

1. Gormdog says:

Got me all wrong… I completely agree with your disagreement!

I just think it was weak proof is all – expect more from ya!

2. Bugs says:

They wouldn’t NEED to use that as defence because I would never say that Tomas was 10x the player V4 is or will ever be.

You wanna take away the career high? Ok. 40 goals and 90 pts for V4. After that, 33 and 78, and after that, 35 and 75. Let Pleky reach ANY of that that then before daring to compare.

Can you do that with Savard/Zetterberg? No. Cuz Savard’s highs are 97, 96 and 88 and Zetterberger HAS caught him with 92, a 5pt differential with Savard’s best season, whereas Pleky’s best season has a 20-pt differential with V4’s SECOND best.

So far, Pleky has yet to be the player V4 “was” or “is”, let alone 10x better. In fact, I think it’s ridiculous to even suggest such a thing despite how each of their careers are going at the moment.

In my opinion.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

3. Gormdog says:

Never knew point production = player value!

Marc Savard’s career high is 96 points… So until Zetterberg reaches it can’t even be considered the SAME in playing value?

Please Bugs, if someone used this flimsy defence in an argument you would laugh em’ out of HIO…

4. andrewberkshire says:

My team in a couple pools is called “The Limping Markovs”

5. Bugs says:

“Plekanec is 10 times the player V4 is or ever will be.”???

Easy, Avi. You made your point. I see your point. It’s a GOOD point.

But now you’re going too far. Adding too much dressing to your salad. It was a good salad. Easy with the dressing, aw’ight?

50 goals, 100 pts, Stanley Cup. Then, he’ll be the SAME “player V4 is or ever will be”, Avi, nevermind better. Pleky had his BEST year last year. V4, slowing down, battling his injury, no longer the impact player he was, put up the SAME AMOUNT OF POINTS as Pleky.

Which SHOWS that in his finest moments, Pleky is only as good as V4’s not so finest moments.

So, please, Avi, don’t go too far, ok?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

6. avatar_58 says:

As far as I’m concerned Vinny dried up years ago. Even before that trade talk. Plekanec is 10 times the player he is or ever will be. How’s that? I’m tired of Vinny getting love simply because he’s french.

7. avatar_58 says:

Why? Doesn’t Washington prove to you 1 player does not a team make? I’d prefer what we have thanks. I too want a superstar but not if it means losing everyone else.

8. Fansincebirth says:

Check your email…

9. avatar_58 says:

…and people said I was nuts when I kept yelling for Gainey to trade the bum.

10. KenD29 says:

From what I was ever taught, never pass up the middle in your end. Guess Komi missed that practice session.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

11. sholi2000.com says:

It was a horrible idea at the time, and even worse now.

Look at the Devils.  They gave up a few players for Kovalchuk and now they look like an average AHL team.

Imagine TB right now with Pleks, and Price.

Yikes.

They Call Me Shane

12. JD_ says:

Put it this way, PK Davan: I wish him a Loaf.

13. JD_ says:

On Vulcan, Markov’s side settles for somethin’ that gives Habs management the breathin’ room to accurately gauge his legs before makin’ a long-term commitment.

This is, however, Earth and Markov has to take care of Markov.

I don’t envy either side of this one, either.

All very creative, imho

15. Hockey Socks says:

All my teams are either the Fredericton Canadiens or La Sainte-Flanelle.

16. NL_habs_fan says:

In this case, Grammar Police, it should be “would like” instead of “would have liked” since he is talking about tonight.

17. CanadienBoy says:

I like Cornboy crasy eyes went he fight