Game 20: Price blanks Leafs for 4th shutout

The image of Pat Burns is projected onto Bell Centre ice Saturday during the Canadiens’ pregame tribute to their late coach.
Shaun Best, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
Quick hits and About
last night … | Stubbs on Twitter

POSTGAME AUDIO: Carey Price | Brian Gionta | Jeff Halpern | Jacques Martin
PREGAME VIDEO: Bob Cole on Pat Burns; Henri Richard
• POSTGAME VIDEO: Carey Price, Brian Gionta, Jeff Halpern

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette

The special teams were just that Saturday night as the Canadiens avenged a season-opening loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jeff
Halpern scored a shorthanded goal at 9:17 of the second period and
Michael Cammalleri provided some insurance with a power-play goal at
7:55 of the third period.

The goals backed up a solid performance
by Carey Price, who made 30 saves for his fourth shutout of the
season,. He outdueled Toronto’s Jonas (The Monster) Gustavsson, who
faced 38 shots.

Halpern beat Gustvasson when he deflected
Jaroslav Spacek’s shot from the point. Tom Pyatt won a draw in the
Leafs’ zone to earn the second assist on the goal.

The goal
came moments after Price used hs glove to bat away a scoring chance by
Kris Versteeg. Price was also in the right spot to make a save on Tyler
Bozak’s shot off a goalmouth scramble at 7:45.

Cammalleri scored
in the dying seconds of the Canadiens’ only power play. The goal was
unassisted because Leafs defenceman Mike Komisarek seemed to forget
that he wasn’t a Canadien any more and his pass from the side bioards
found Cammalleri alone in the slot.

Gustavsson lived up to his
nickname in the first period as the Canadiens took advantage of a series
of odd-man rushes to outshoot the Leafs 17-10.

Neither team was
able to score but there were a couple of shots that hit posts.
Komisarek, a defenceman not known for his prowess, hit a post midway
through the period. The Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitsyn, who is known as a
scorer, hit a post in the final two minutes after jockeying for position
in the slot on a 2-on-1 break.

It was the 12th win this season for Price and that’s one fewer than his win total for all of last season.

Canadiens coach Jacques Martin reached another milestone as he coached his 1,200th game and picked up his 569th win.

The
Canadiens are back on the road Monday night when they have a rematch
with the Flyers in Philadelphia. The Canadiens beat the Flyers 3-0 on
Tuesday.

The Canadiens are back home to meet the Los Angeles Kings
Wednesday and wrap up the week with back-to-back games Friday in
Atlanta and Saturday at home to the Buffalo Sabres.

1. sm00re says:

I knew it! Komisarek still plays for us!!!

2. sm00re says:

I knew it! Komisarek still plays for us!!!

3. samTHEman says:

Spacek has been playing really well around the net. He’s prevented alot of potential goals near Carey’s crease multiple times against Nashville and again tonight.

4. j2w4habs25 says:

Yeah I was wondering about that – Auld shouldve got it last game and Carey this, but Auld will get start against the Phillys

5. VancouverHab says:

Who said he didn’t play solid(ly)?

Argue against what was said not what makes a strawman for yourself.

Halpern played great — but a reasonable observer can think other players were more vital in the win.

“I prefer player A” does not imply “I dislike player B.” Why is this logic difficult to grasp?

6. j2w4habs25 says:

not to me lol…. they make mistakes every shift!

7. SmartDog says:

Snap!

——-

Sad Stat: Grabovski: 14 points. Gomez: 6 points.

8. SmartDog says:

Could someone PLEASE count how many times Gomez is the last Hab to touch the puck with his stick.  The guy makes more turn-overs than Pilsbury. Half of them are from terrible passes that hit no-one or land on people’s skates. Terrible, just a waste of team effort.

——-

Sad Stat: Grabovski: 14 points. Gomez: 6 points.

9. habstrinifan says:

Ditto here. I have already posted hoping he gets bigger role in Philly on Monday.

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

hahaha….guess that negates my comment above about Pouliot!

11. dre1744 says:

good thing both gomez and Pleks are centers  cause if they put Gomez with Pleks  his game would go too shit like everyone who plays with Gomez

12. LA Loyalist says:

“Nomez makes more turn-overs than Pilsbury?” that’s hilarious, thank you and good night.

13. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Whoa…sorry about that.  Computer froze, and all the sudden I’d quadrupled my comment.  Not that it’s not deserving of course…haha

14. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Agreed — AK46’s best game since they last had him with Pleks.  Seems to be that whoever is playing with Pleks has the hot hand. Funny thing that…

15. Ghosts of the Forum says:

16. Ghosts of the Forum says:

17. Ghosts of the Forum says:

18. LA Loyalist says:

You’ve obviously not seen nearly enough bad 70’s cop movies. If he owns black socks, also, we could truly have a problem.

“if you can remember the 70’s, you weren’t really there”

19. sm00re says:

Even funnier – the laffs are putting Komi out for the PP!!

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Should be noted that Carey leads all goalies in TOI as well…

21. LA Loyalist says:

Great game by Price. Exactly what the doctor ordered. Kostitsyn, Cammy, Halpern, Gionta, Subban all looked great. Did you see Subban submarine that leaf doink?

Did Gomez play? I didn’t see him — :)

“I coach hard work.” — Pat Burns, RIP

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Shutout or be shutout seems to be our motto!  God it always feels so great to beat the Laffs.

All the usual accolades to Price, Pleks, Subby-do et al, but I have to say that the last couple of games Eller has really been impressing me.  I think he’ll pop one soon.  He’s definietly a long-term project, so I’m not expecting too much offensively from him this season, but his speed and tenacity are to be admired.  I really like this kid.  A young Pleks perhaps?? Too soon I guess, but like I said…love how hard he plays.  Hope he gets a goal soon, he deserves it.

23. MTLForever says:

agreed, he played solid. so don’t knock what i said vancouver

24. nastyHABit says:

man!what a tape to tape pass by komi…..thanks mike,a real doozy

25. Former Jets Fan says:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Gorges, on the other hand, wears his moustache well.  As a moustachioed person myself, I think they should all keep them.

26. dre1744 says:

They are Playing JM’s system too a T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. MTLForever says:

wonder where that Jeff guy is now :) silly leaf fan..

28. nastyHABit says:

Thank god for RDS…i watched the first period on CBC and nearly had a stroke listening to Bob Cole…..the golly gee whiz doozzy dandy gosh darn’it leafs could do no wrong……ooooohhhhh baby

29. Willy the bum says:

In shutouts, he’s tied with Thomas and one more than Halak.  Wow, what a great start of the season.

30. ZepFan2 says:

Psst, we won!

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

31. WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t want to second guess JM, but Carey Price needs a break. Poor Auld needs to see some action & soon. I thought tonight would be it.

32. slapshot777 says:

Where does Eklund get this crap anyways?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

33. sm00re says:

winning 6 of 9 facoffs probably helped too!

34. Chips says:

Everybody makes mistakes, They are very good at correcting them or at least minimizing the damage.

25 in 2011

35. Chips says:

I agree. They have both stepped it up a couple of notches since Markie went down again. Spacek was indeed brutal early in the season, but he has really picked it up in the last 8 games or so. They have done a marvelous job shutting down the opposition’s top line. They were totally superb against the Twins!!! People always seem to under appreciate the Hammer. He is very steady and makes good decisions.

25 in 2011

36. Chips says:

Yea totally agree. it’s hard to watch the game on CBC! Bob Cole is brutal and completely biased.

25 in 2011

37. olematelot says:

Overall both Hammer and Spacek have been playing very well lately

38. habs365 says:

Cherry don’t like the Habs anyway..so what would you expect him to say

39. JohnBellyful says:

Agree totally about Eller. Too bad he hasn’t got that first goal out of the way but it will come – before the end of the month. Or my name isn’t Sebastian (which it isn’t but the point stands). He shows a lot of moxie and doesn’t panic. I do think he needs to make his shifts shorter but I can understand why he doesn’t want to leave the ice.

40. JIMVINNY says:

Carey Price last 6 games; 5-1, .970 save %, .99 GAA, 3 SO.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Carey Price now tied for league in shutouts and wins. His GAA? A flat 2.00, his save % is .932, I’m pretty sure the scoring tonight against some of the other goaltenders in the NHL means he’s going to be Top 5 in GAA and Save % on the night as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. habs365 says:

If you can do better..maybe you should go and see PG

43. lavie says:

After the first 5 SOG I knew it would be Price’s night tonight. Thank you Les Boys!

44. habsonly says:

Another shut out for Price and a solid team effort.

Price looks like he is happy to me.

Cherry thinks the Leafs should have tied the game, he really could not give the Hab any kudos.

45. j2w4habs25 says:

I went to that Santa parade and I saw a truck with Leaf logos and a stanley cup on top… ouch! they’re so funny…and this is in Thunder bay!! gawd they sure like to dream

46. VancouverHab says:

Sure, but that doesn’t make him the 3rd star (i.e. 3rd most importamt player in the win.)

Geez — way too sensitive around here.

47. j2w4habs25 says:

Speack and Hammerlik better be on top of their game. Lately I been watching these two guys and the team will be better off without these two guys. The Leafs are in town and its always good news ;) always a battle…. woot woot! I cant wait for game time ;)

I feel a big win tonight for the Habs – tonight will be an very emotional night for both teams and nights like this the Habs always seem to come on top.

RIP Pat Burns –

48. VancouverHab says:

As I said, Cherry didn’t moan about Halpren (who is Don’s kinda player), he suggested that he wasn’t the natural choice.

And that’s right: Haplren’s a stud, but Pleks did it all, & Moen was a hero

49. Habs Fan says:

Carey: Please keep that moustache. It looks fantastically awful and may hold super powers.

50. citizenSanto says:

and quite the turn around from earlier today. He must have had some of that smurf flavoured cool-aid he went on about.

—————————————
    Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
    — Augustine of Hippo

51. dre1744 says:

I love it  Carey is playing unreal I bet the puck seems like a beach ball too him these days.

Carey Price you are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

Leafs feeling pretty good about themselves with their 2 game winning streak. Don’t know about Toronto, but here in Windsor the parade is back on. Habs need a much better effort than the one against the Preds to beat those guys because we know the Laffs have special preparation methods they use before playing the Habs. After all, if Leafs win, God forbid, it will be like a stanley cup victory.

53. samTHEman says:

Great game. Lots of high scoring chances and solid goaltending. Team effort tonight. Every line is getting real scoring chances. That short handed goal was a dagger to the heart of the Leafs.

I have to point this out. Eller is playing great. He seems very focused and has a better vision than I thought. Great passes but no one on his line can really finish. I’d like to see him with Pouliot, Cammalleri or AK some shifts. Very strong on the puck. Kid has no quit. Promising prospect even if he’sbeen  held off the score sheet thus far.

54. slapshot777 says:

Cherry Seems pissed. The three stars were Price, Halpren, Cammalleri.  While on the CBC it was Price Johansson, and Halpren. Cherry wonders why Halpren got a star.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

55. lavie says:

We have so many games which “perhaps the best game of this season”.

56. MTLForever says:

Cherry said “what he do” when the 3 stars were up and it was for Halpern. i dont know cherry! he scored the GWG?

57. observer says:

first home shutout of leafs by habs since 1977! wow! never realized leafs were so good!

58. dre1744 says:

That was great Komesarek had a flashback too when he was a hab. That was an awesome tape to tape pass he threw.

59. MTLForever says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

60. punkster says:

That’s quite a positive comment, for you. A little too rose-coloured maybe?

61. cashbagg says:

I never understood why a forward/d-man is expected to play 82 games a season, yet a starting goalie (who takes far less physical abuse I might add) “earns” a day off. Makes no sense to me. Shouldn’t a goalie play every game, unless injured or ineffective??

I hope he plays 81 games this season. Why not?

62. 23 HABS 23 says:

I might shed some light on this subject of goalies vs forwards getting days off.  It is obviouls you are not familiar with the goal tending position … goalies are on the ice for 60 minutes a game (unless pulled at the end for and extra attacker) … top forwads might log 18 – 30 minutes of ice time (and they get to sit on the bench, rest , and rehydrate between shifts) … as the game wears on, the goalies equipment becomes heavier due to perspiration and mentally he has to be sharp and concentrate during his time on the ice … a forward / d man (as we have all seen) can “take a shift off” while on the ice and just coast.  And physical abuse?  Maybe he does not get hit as often as forwards / defensemen … but players CRASH the net and screen (‘causing the goalie to have to readjust, bend look around the player, push the pllayer out of the way … and on top of that, try playing net for 1 game and stay in the athletic position (bent knees paddle down, and glove up) – you will feel it and you would then maybe understand.

I myself play forward … but have been called upon to play net … and man … I never sweat so much, and I was hurtin’ the next day.  I appreciate those who strap on the pad and stop pucks – you should to!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

Carey Price better get a night off soon. He deserves that too.

64. bostonantifan says:

Price is a young professional athlete.  He can get all the nights off he needs during the offseason.  He’s hot as hell right now, let him play until he thinks he needs a rest.

65. habstrinifan says:

You underestimate the wear and tear of this position. Similar to that of a catcher in baseball.

Do 20 squats and see how winded you get. Then multiply it and think of doing it for 60 minutes.

66. samTHEman says:

Price leading all goalies in Time on Ice, Shutouts and Wins. Vezina anyone? :)

67. j2w4habs25 says:

If the awards were tomorrow then Carey owns it!!

68. solomio says:

I fully expect the Habs to lose tonight. I was coming ’round to thinking that after their 2 weeks of winning play the team was jelling, maturing and realizing that they can be a power house / championship team this year. The defeat at the hands of the Preds has made me think otherwise.

The team that I have above described does not lose games to inferior teams. Period. Some say…..you’ve got to lose sometime. I think that’s not necessarily so.I mean why lose?Unless you’re playing against an equally superior opponent and a bad bounce.

So yes the Habs are in the dog house until they can consistently prove themselves to be  the elite level team that they can be. They can do that by not losing to losers and they better damn well start tonight.

69. smiler2729 says:

And another fairweather “Habs” fan falls off the bandwagon. See ya!

70. habstrinifan says:

They WONT lose tonight! Habs will be 2 up after 5 minutes and cruise from there!

71. Say Ash says:

So I guess Washington is not an elite team because they got shut out by the Thrashers.

72. showey47 says:

Looks like your prediction about the habs losing was wrong. The canucks are supposed to be a contender and got bombed tonight.

73. Willy the bum says:

This game’s for Pat Burns… a great exciting game, full of spirit and grace.

74. Danno says:

It’s going to be a special game. A giant of a man will be watching the game he loved from up above in the heavens. May this game honour his spirit and may he rest in peace.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

75. smiler2729 says:

Laff Nation treats these games against the Habs like it’s their Stanley Cup. They know they have a crap team and no way of making any waves in any playoffs soon so beating the team that has made their existence miserable by dominating the league historically is made up by them beating the Habs in regular season meetings. Leaf Nation = Habs Envy.

I work in Toronto and when these games come around, everybody wants to make bets with me so instead of money or beer, I proposed whoever loses has to wear the other team’s sweater to work and take the heat, they declined that bet. Why? Cuz they KNOW they’ll lose tonight in Montreal.

Montreal 4, Toronto 2. For Burnsie… he may have coached the Laffs too but we all know he was a Hab through and through.

Both friend and foe take notice of Subban.

Toronto Maple Leaf dads hit the road.

Kadri rolls with coach’s punches.

Maple Leaf team report.

Toronto stat update.

Emotions high in Montreal this weekend.

77. habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the links, especially re Subban. Long time we havent had one of our players cause such reverberations in the Hockey World. Awaken Habs fans and delight! The ghosts of the Forum are smiling again.

go habs go!

78. TommyB says:

Good stuff, 24.  Who’s not pumped for tonight’s match?  Game one in this series was played at the beginning of the year, in TO’s barn.  I suspect the Habs were not really ready that night, and the whole hockey world was breathing down Price’s neck.  Tonight is different.  This one will be fun.  It should have a little of everything in it (and Lappy, grab the sweater and start punching, geez!).  Win or lose, I’m not a gypsy so I won’t predict, this game should be a good one.

Actually, I think he improved his game in TO, cause he never used to make such crisp passes when playing for Habs.

80. dre1744 says:

I don`t know, I remember him throwing a few clean crisp passes to the other team  when he played on the habs!!!!!!!!!

81. HFX-HabFan says:

Continuing on with the “debut roster” series, here is a list of current NHLers who made their league debut in a Laughs uniform:

Kulemin-Antropov-Stalberg

Steen-Stajan-Ponikarovsky

Tlusty-Bozak-Modin

Mitchell-Mair-Hanson

Kadri

Kaberle-Schenn

Colaiacovo-White

Harrison-Stralman

Gunnarsson

Gustavsson

Pogge

Total cap hit:  $43.81million, or $15.59mil under the cap.  A fairly underwhelming roster that would have looked even more bleak four or five years ago- the Laughs have finally tried to stock their shelves with their own products rather than looking for the “quick fixes” of UFAs and trade deadline acquisitions at the expense of picks and prospects, which was their preferred mode of operation 1995-2005.

82. aemarchand11 says:

Quite the Roster…………….

2010-2011

83. JohnBellyful says:

Heuters is reporting…

MONTREAL – PK Subban has a few words of advice for fellow rookie Nazem Kadri of the Toronto Maple Leafs: Don’t disrespect his Montreal Canadiens.

The star defenceman warned the Leaf forward he would “rue the day” should he show some flair in trying to help his team to victory.

“The code is pretty clear about cocky players who play with confidence,” Subban alliterated. “Our team won’t stand by – okay, maybe Hal will – while some upstart tries to beat us with fancy passes and dipsy-doodles. If Kadri does those things (tonight), he can expect a few glove washes, high sticks, cross-checks, face plants and bad language. And that’s just from Gomez.”

The ‘code’ is an unwritten set of rules of unknown origin that governs how players should conduct themselves on and off the ice. It covers such areas as spitting (when, where and how), scrums (mandatory after a whistle blows if opposing player is within two feet of goalie), fighting (the use of shivs is frowned upon) and celebrations after goals (pats on the bum good; pecks on the cheek bad). Efforts to include a headhunting ban have so far been unsuccessful but the wearing of ties entering arenas is now optional.

Kadri’s play since being called up to the Leafs this week has caught the eye of Subban and he doesn’t like what he sees.

“It’s just frustrating to see a young guy like that come in here and think he’s better than a lot of people,” Subban said. “You can’t just come in here as a rookie and play like that. It’s not the way to get respect from other players around the league.”

When told about Subban’s warning that he could be roughed up if he continues to play as he has, Kadri responded with two words. And then two more: Colton Orr. To which Subban replied, Maxim Lapierre, before breaking up.

The Leafs are riding a two-game winning streak on the strength of three assists by Kadri that has his team talking up his Calder Trophy credentials.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

84. Danno says:

I respect this post.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

85. Dennis says:

I’ve always wondered what Burke and Leaf fans saw in Komisarek. I’ve never figured it out. http://dennis-kane.com/carey-price-and-mike-komisarek-help-habs-win/

86. Chuck says:

Vancouver getting schooled at home. They’ve given up the same number of goals tonight that Price has in his last 6 games.

Centre Hice: How do I hate thee… let me count the ways

87. dre1744 says:

I know the hawks are so inconsistant this year.  They played Like total crap against Calgary last night. No intensity at all from them.  Then tonight they totally dominate a better Vancouver club.

88. shootdapuck says:

They played like Betty White minus the snickers.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

89. habstrinifan says:

Probably the effect of such a long road trip. It must cost them at least 3 games a year… their road trips.

90. LA Loyalist says:

Sorry we can’t all be zombie robots like you.

Beating philly and beaners is great, but losing to Cleveland barons, Florida painters, Nashville cats, etc shows the lack of maturity and killer instinct that great teams have.

We are still too small and soft and reality is we will sputter along like this all year with price making team look better than it is just as halal ( he who may not be named) did.

And on top of this we are stuck w nome.

Enjoy the cool-aid, but the hangover is tricky.

91. TomNickle says:

You’re wrong to a certain extent I think.  I don’t think this team is among the NHL’s top 5, but they aren’t that far outside of it.  I see this team battling for the division title with Boston, and I’ve said that since August.  I don’t feel that the second place team in our division will be lower than 5th or 6th when all is said and done either.

Hamrlik and Spacek getting meaningful minutes will really hurt us.  I would much rather see Picard & Subban and Gill and Gorges take the big minute duties.  If that happens, we have a much better chance at sustaining solid defensive play.  Spacek has been playing very well lately and Hamrlik’s been decent but neither can sustain that play with their age.  Hamrlik showed it last season when he was the worst player in the playoffs through three series’ and Spacek was battling to stay healthy even though he played lights out when he was in the lineup.

92. punkster says:

As a leading member and whole-hearted supporter of the Habs Rose Coloured Glasses, Canadiens Kool-Aid and Montreal Manifest Destiny club let me be the first to say…

PPPFFFTTTTTTTT

93. citizenSanto says:

Loyalist my a$$. You have been measured and found wanting!

—————————————
    — Augustine of Hippo

94. ZepFan2 says:

“just as halal ( he who may not be named) did.”

Why can’t we mention halal?

Mmm, halal…

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

95. JF says:

RDS gives Habs-Leafs stats in Montreal:  111-83 all-time for the Leafs, 7-6 since the lockout.  Yet Montreal has mostly had the better team.  Why can’t we beat these clowns in our own building?

96. TomNickle says:

Beating us is their Stanley Cup Final, beating them is a division win for us.

It’s typically been substantially more important to the Leafs than it has been for the Habs.

97. Da Hema says:

What juvenile nonsense. I am generally displeased with what Cherry says, but to claim he is a bigot is vicious claptrap. Grow up.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

98. bostonantifan says:

What a load of crap.  What they were talking about had absolutely nothing to do with Subban’s color, it had to do with his attitude.  It’s absolutely amazing how far some people will stretch an issue to bring race into something that doesn’t warrant it.

99. Aaron13 says:

I hear the Rubby from Kingston is going to hire PK to be his new house-boy. Too bad CBC keeps Cherry on the air. Making a comment that someone ‘will hurt Subban’ shows he’s a bigot. I’m sure both Cherry and Carter would not talk about respect if it were a white boy.

The CBC should be ashamed of having him on the air. He’a an embarrassment to anyone who’s a minority – black or white.  In the U.S., he’d be torn apart on the streets – literally. I don’t think Cherry has the stones to walk in a Black neighbourhood.

100. VancouverHab says:

Rubbish.

101. Kooch7800 says:

Don Cherry is an idiot and he is also getting up there in years (he is slipping).  I have disagreed with a lot of what he has said for the last few years but I don’t see him as a bigit.  I think that is uncalled for.

He also called our Crosby for the goal when he was 16 or 17 and was always hard on him for crying to the ref’s. last time I checked Crosby is white and Canadian.  He also loved BGL.

He has his opinions and they may not be all right but on what basis are you calling him a racist?

Sometimes you just don’t agree with people and that is the way it goes.

102. Philly-Poo says:

True, if he doesnt make the first, im sure he will be picked either second or third.  I dont know his numbers for those 3 games, but, 2 SO in 3 games is impressive…

103. 23 HABS 23 says:

“If someone would have told me before the season that Price would have 4
    shutouts after 20 games I would have questioned his sanity and suggested
    a place in a mental institution.”

That is why your opinions / insight hold no water and are not valued – you have NO VISION … and your ability to judge talent and potential is nothing short of laughable!

And hey … I thought you only posted after Montreal losses?  It has been nice not reading your posts lately – hope the Habs keep winning – so we (well, I should not speak for everyone) .. so I don’t have to listen to your crap!

I only wish you could think before you speak MontrealAtheist.

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

104. Nahlsy says:

The easy answer there would be to point out that he didn’t play badly last year and everyone just ran around like Chicken Little for no valid reason. The issue with the team last year was scoring goals, not their goalies. Price allowed more than 3 goals in regulation only 4 times last season. Compare that to goalies such as Luongo, Brodeur, Halak and others. The issue was that he couldn’t win games when his team scored 1 or fewer goals in regulation in something like 17 – 20 of his starts. Hardly a goalie’s fault there.

This year he’s doing much the same only he’s getting some offensive support to turn the 2-1 losses into 3-2 wins.

105. j2w4habs25 says:

Hey – wasn’t that a game to witness; I just knew something good was going to happen. I felt the win coming but the shutout for Carey was just perfect…

Carey keeps playing like this? were good ;)

106. Nahlsy says:

Flukey stat: Shutout leaders in the NHL

Price 4, Thomas 4, Halak 3, Garon 3, Vokoun 2, Ellis 2, (4 others tied at 2)

Habs own or owned the rights to 5 of the top 6 on this list

Wonder what Laffs fans are saying about Komi tonight. I should go check out TSN boards

Tom Pyatt won a draw in the Leafs’ zone to earn the second assist on the goal.

Actually, it was Halpern who won the draw, the puck went to Pyatt and Pyatt passed it back to Spacek who shot the puck. Halpern deflected Spacek’s shot into the net.

109. HNS says:

Leaf fans are thinking Komi is on Habs payroll. Now thats funny! Those dummies…………

110. Philly-Poo says:

Lol no way, but i suppose that should be all too shocking…

111. Philly-Poo says:

Anyone else think Price might get NHL 1st star of the week again? 2-1-0, 2 SO?

I’ll admit, I always prefered Halak, he did a lot for the team during his tenure, and will always be appreciated for what he did during those times he stepped in.  Price this season has been unreal, and I am so grateful that he has matured and stepped up to the plate thus far.  His attitude change, and his unwavering resolve make him the greatest asset this team posseses.  I wasn’t expecting anything this season, Price has turned me into a fan of his big time.  I hope he keeps it up.

112. savethepuck says:

Last year u witnessed Jaro playing with confidence, this year u are witnessing Carey playing with confidence.  A goaltenders confidence is his biggest asset.  Personally I like the guy we have nows game.  No distractions, he’s focused and playing like he is capable.

113. savethepuck says:

unfortunately, 1 L usually takes you out of the player of the week running but lets hope cause he deserves it

114. Chips says:

Greeat game!!! Another shut-out for Pricey. Team is playing well against the tougher teams (Leafs are always tough for the Habs!!), now we just need to not get complacent against the Floridas and Nashvilles of the league. Very good team win tonight. Should be agood one in Philly.  Get it up boys!!!

25 in 2011

115. MontrealAtheist says:

If someone would have told me before the season that Price would have 4 shutouts after 20 games I would have questioned his sanity and suggested a place in a mental institution.

Who would have thought that someone who played so badly last season was capable of actually doing his job?

116. habstrinifan says:

Hi! What is your avatar? It is one of those illusory images that my brain can’t seem to compute.

Is it a dog terrorist/bank-robber with a backside full of dynamite .. or

Is it a miniature buddhist monk who’s taken too literally the permeation of life with suffering .. or

Is it a Japanese geisha girl that maybe I should get to know .. or

Is it Gomez’s missing god luck charm.

Really what is it?

117. SeriousFan09 says:

Blackhawks have completely broken the Canucks will to play against them in the last 2 years, it’s almost comical to this point.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

118. christophor says:

The best thing about having Komi on the team is his cap hit: $0.

Good managing there PG. Makes the Gomez cap hit more bearable.

119. habfan53 says:

HNIC showed a graphic at the end of the game that was hard to beleive. It was the 1st shoutout win by Montreal at home agains the Leafs in 33 years.   WOW

120. j2w4habs25 says:

Carey Price better party tonight, he deserves it!! lol….

121. samTHEman says:

It isn’t “halal” to mention His name, as muslims would put it.

122. ZepFan2 says:

So that would mean it’s “haram” to say his name?!

;)

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

123. Nahlsy says:

Have you never heard Cherry speaking for even a second over the years? Hint: Russians this, Swedes that, French guys this etc. To suggest that Cherry isn’t predjudiced is extremely naive to say the least. To insult someone for saying they are tired of the over-the-top predjudiced rants he’s always going off on is just wrong.

He’s right, Cherry never makes comments about white players showing respect to their peers. He’s going on about the ‘Uppity so and so’ that dares to not show respect to his superiors for a reason, He’s an old biggoted coot that’s been doing an Archie Bunker impression for decades and needs to be removed from the public airwaves already.

124. Da Hema says:

I never thought I would be in a position to defend Donald S. Cherry, but I still think you and the other poster are using a cheap tactic to attack someone. You write that Cherry “never makes comments about white players showing respect.” Do you not recall his weekly criticisms of Sidney Crosby during the latter’s first year in the NHL? Cherry criticised Crosby for not showing respect to the officials–and he was right.

I think playing the race card reveals more about you than anything else. If you followed the news, even Richards asked the media to stop raising his “minor comments” and said Subban is a “good player.”

Let’s just end this now, ok? It is really a dead horse.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

125. Aaron13 says:

Why did Richards even talk to the media about this matter? You earn respect by deeds, not warnings. I’m sure the Flyers will be gunning for Subban and not because he’s black.

On one hand Cherry tells kids to play nice then he tells them about hurting others to get respect. Now there’s a wonderful example of sportsmanship.

126. Da Hema says:

I am not certain what you mean with the first half of your post. Although once again, you raise the race card. I simply refuse to engage with you any further on this matter. Stop sending me emails too.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

127. Aaron13 says:

I have a friend on here who is a visible minority. I’ve known him for 30 years. I consider him to be a man of honor. I wish he’d relate his experiences about what his son endured playing hockey.

I can’t comment on my experiences because I am white, but I assure you when my former supervisor had the balls to tell me that “you won’t get promoted because of your cultural background” there’s a serious problem when that supervisor is not fired.

128. habstrinifan says:

I wouldnt go so far as to say that Cherry has no (cultural) bigotry in him. Geez have you not heard some of his rants over the years.

On the Subban issue, I think his perspective would have been different if Subban played for Leafs. Someone made interesting observations re Cherry’s ‘love’ of Tucker etc and his views on Subban.

Heck why the hell did I get into this fray. I am shutting up! Distasteful conversation… determining another man’s prejudices. I am still dealing with mine.

129. habstrinifan says:

Geez here I go into this topic… You are valid in saying that neither Richards nor Cherry would make the comments they made if before the remarks were uttered they weighed the racist or non racist quota within them. It is though the comments made in the immediacy of emotion and reaction which sometimes reveal the truth within oneself that needs to be confronted and educated. On both sides of issues like this.

Jennings.

131. adam76 says:

LADY BING, 0 PMI

132. Aaron13 says:

Pip, Pip old chap.

Rubbish? There’s a word I havn’t heard in a long time and I expected a response like that from you. The sun set on the British Empire long ago. Drop the air of superiority.

The Flyers will be head-hunting tomorrow. Is Cherry’s comment one that should be heard by children? The message being that if you don’t respect me, you’ll get hurt? Sounds like a gang mentality to me. He’s nothing more than an ignorant thug.

133. Aaron13 says:

You don’t send a message to kids to go out and hurt someone if you disrespect me. On one hand, Cherry advocates safety to kids then says something stupid. He’s not a role model to kids. You’d never hear this type of comment on American TV and I doubt if Cherry will be high-fiving it with his homies in Newark.

Cherry called Subban “a pretty good player”. Now there’s an understatement. Good thing he’s not a scout for the Habs.

134. JohnBellyful says:

?

A veil of ignorance enveilopes me.

135. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Now that the PHD line has been split up, is it not time to bring Pouliot back up to the 2nd line?  I love Moen, but he’s not a second-liner.  Pouliot is scoring, had some chemistry with Gio and Gomez last year…why not throw him up there with Gomez and whoever else is on that wing?

Obviously I’m happy about the way the team is playing, but I’m worried that we’re turning into a primarily one line team again — with all due deference to Halpern.  Putting Pouliot with Gomer might help even things up a bit…thoughts?

I think not enough has been said about Mike Komisarek’s contribution to this win. Come on, let’s give him credit where credit is due :)

137. dre1744 says:

Yup MIkey must of had a flashback to back when he was a hab…….  What a wonderful tape to tape pass he made.

138. VancouverHab says:

My respects, sir. This is how a Canadian gentleman of honour expresses disagreement — or even dislike.

Tug of the forlock to you…

“…it is entirely possible to argue genuine differences of policy and values with conviction and passion while avoiding personal insult. As leaders, Pierre Trudeau, Bob Stanfield and I all had our faults. We often strongly disagreed, but we did it without personal invective or accusations of lying. Reason, passion and civility prevailed, grounded on the respect each had for the dignity of the other.” Ed Broadbent.