Game 17: Habs calm Hurricanes, Markov hurt

Canadiens’ Andrei Markov is crumpled against the boards late in Saturday’s game.
John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog,
 Quick hits and About
last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Tomas Plekanec | Brian Gionta | Max Lapierre | Mathieu Darche | Jacques Martin (nearly inaudible, sorry)

• At a Glance: The Canadiens capped off what was billed as a tough week with their third-straight victory on Saturday night, defeating the Carolina Hurricanes 7-2 on Saturday night. Carey Price made 28 saves for his 10th win of the season, already closing in on the total of 13 he won all of last season. The Canadiens jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period thanks to goals by Tomas Plekanec and Michael Cammalleri. The Hurricanes tied the game 2-2 in the second period when Anton Babchuk scored a power-play goal 9:08 into the period. Former Hab Tom Kostopoulos scored two minutes later with a wrist shot over Price’s shoulder. But the Canadiens stormed right back, scoring three times before the period with Brian Gionta scoring his fourth of the season with a wrist shot over Cam Ward’s shoulder. Maxim Lapierre made it 4-2 when he went it alone, spun in front of Ward and slid the puck into the open side of the net. That goal marked the end of Ward’s night, replaced by Justin Peters, who was promptly beaten by Benoit Pouliot made it 5-2 with a power-play goal with less than two minutes to play. With about five minutes to go in the third period, Andrei Markov crumpled to the ice after what appeared to be a knee-on-knee hit by Eric Staal. Markov was unable to put any weight on his right knee walking off the ice, and he was seen punching the boards while lying on the ice, which could be a sign Markov knew something was wrong. Andrei Kostitsyn scored his seventh of the season while the Canadiens enjoyed a two-man advantage late in the game, making it 6-2, while Mathieu Darche made it 7-2 while Carolina was still killing off the second penalty. Montreal finished 3-for-6 on the power play and the Hurricanes have allowed 15 goals in their last two games.

• Key Moments: MIdway through the third period, Price made what could be his best save of the season when he moved across his crease to absolutely rob Chad Larose of a sure goal with a great glove save.

• What It Means: The third-straight win improves Montreal’s record to 11-5-1 for 23 points and first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens continue their four-game homestand with visits from the Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators and Toronto Maple Leafs with games on Tuesday, Thursday and next Saturday.

1. Former Jets Fan says:

Boone – Carey has 6, not 16 career shutouts in the regular season.

2. HFX-HabFan says:

So, I’ve been away all day…did anything go down over the noontime hour at Atwater Park?

3. kempie says:

copied from the game blog:

I don’t usually predict at game time like this but the reverse-jinx seems to have some power so here’s what I think. Carolina is one of those teams that makes my stomach feel funny. We should beat them, I don’t like them, classic Montreal goalie psych out stuff going on. I said before this week started that I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat Vancouver, Boston and lose an ugly one to Carolina.

4. christophor says:

i’m trying to remember, other than the tampa game, has price given up a late goal?

5. WestHab says:

What if he never returns? He just gets away with it?

6. WestHab says:

I just meant your avater is more photogenic than a Sutter.

7. db says:

Once he’s back in the league he’ll serve that suspension.

I figure it’s only fair you serve the suspension in the league you earned it.

8. ZepFan2 says:

I was just kidding around. Couldn’t help myself. lol

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

9. dre1744 says:

That could be worth the price of going!!!!!

10. WestHab says:

yes he’s a flames Fan. like the avater and I’m a ZEP fan too.

11. dre1744 says:

I agree they single handidly made the Calgary Flames SUCK!!!!!!

12. Anonymous says:

Stop living in the past.

13. dre1744 says:

NHL doesn’t have too honor the AHL suspension so Kadri is good too goo!!!!!!!!

14. Habhopeful says:

She’s a classic case of butter face…She’s got a smokin body.., everything is hot…But’ter face…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

15. ZepFan2 says:

Umm, ‘scuse me!?

By “flaming son”, you do mean he’s a Flames fan, right? 😉

~Serge Savard~

16. WestHab says:

be nice to a flames or stamp season tix holder. They get first pick. I don’t think there are any regular tix available yet. Be carefull of the websites that offer tix. I think they are scalper sites. I saw one where the worst tix started at $413.00. I think there are some scams out there.

17. ZepFan2 says:

Well, look on the bright side. She has a smokin’ body.

Can’t help her with her obvious bad taste in music though. lol

~Serge Savard~

18. andrewberkshire says:

He may have.

19. WestHab says:

You mean we’d get to meet Timo in real time!?

20. gumper says:

There was something fishy about it alright;)

21. HabFab says:

Huh, were did you get that photo of my ex????

And her being a Deep Purple fan!

22. WestHab says:

I’d love that but I have have to drag my flaming son!

23. habstrinifan says:

Shame! Only word for it! Surprised he didnt have a ‘buddy system’ from the team.. may have kept it from happening.

Cabbie may be looking at some sort of compensation.

24. WestHab says:

The Sutters don’t look good anytime.

25. WestHab says:

I’m only guessing but the only fair thing to do is only allow the call up after the 2 AHL games have been served.

26. Thomas says:

ya, me too, i’m in Calgary also…still trying to get tickets also!

27. habs001 says:

if the nets are soccer size tonight than pyatt has a chance to score…

28. bertuzzisucks says:

If San Jose want an experienced d-man we have Spacek that can fill the void. We don’t even want anything in return!

29. ZepFan2 says:

To be fair, we don’t see the face.

For all we know, she looks like this…Horse’s ass

~Serge Savard~

30. WestHab says:

Probably a case of a young guy knocking down shooters without any respect for what that can do to your mind. Stupid. And another reason why you never ask how your cabbie’s day is going unless you have 60 miles to kill.

31. CharlottetownHabbies says:

Lost my voice, put a hole in my wall and my wife almost left me over that “missed call”.  Kind of a risky way for Bettman to prop up a fringe market….

32. Dintrox says:

Kadri was suspended by the AHL for 2 games. Does that affect his call up to the laffs?

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

33. Dintrox says:

You had to remind me. No penalty! that was complete carp.

34. Say Ash says:

Hearing that made me Spacek a little.

35. N.B.habs fan says:

Dosen’t make the Sutter familly look to good right now.

36. HabFab says:

Ian, old bud! Better ease up on that pain medication. That is definitely not a horse’s ass…just saying!

37. TomNickle says:

You think he signed that contract with the intention of playing the full term?

38. TomNickle says:

Yeah.  I’ve read that section of the CBA and there, to my knowledge is no clause saying a player who signed his contract after the age of 35 cannot be place on LTIR.  In Pronger’s case, the Flyers would be granted the salary differential of Prongers’ against the the remaining cap room they have.

So his replacement could earn up to $3.5 million annually I believe.

39. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think Pronger would play ball with that, he’s a douche and I hate him, but he has way too much pride to do something like that.

40. TomNickle says:

Players over 35 years old can’t be put on LTIR?

I think you’re mistaken.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Over-35 means salaries can’t go off the cap regardless of where or if the player is playing going by the CBA.  They’re stuck with Pronger no matter what.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. TomNickle says:

Paul Maurice teams cheat offensively.  They rarely have the discipline to keep a high man in the offensive zone and like to apply a two man forecheck in transition.

If our defensemen are sharp and are forwards have good timing, we should pot a couple off the rush tonight.

Look for Gionta and Plekanec, maybe even a guy like Pyatt or Pouliot to get some gifts.

43. TomNickle says:

That won’t happen Robert.

Rathje and Hatcher played ball(LTIR), Pronger may suffer that fate too.

Still burns my ass that the Flyers can get away with it but the Devils can’t.

Then again, people can walk into the Capitals dressing room and hand out steroids like skittles without consequence, shouldn’t expect much.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Eff Justin Williams for putting a stick in Koivu’s eye, we would have won that series with him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

45. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

wow. The taxi industry and the NHL don’t seem to mix very well!

46. SeriousFan09 says:

No idea, but something’s going to have to give next season. Let them cap themselves out I say and hope Pronger has to retire in the next couple years so that over-35 contract is slapping them in the face until 2017.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

47. Say Ash says:

Friggin’ Cam Ward! We were two up on Gerber, and then…Cam Ward. Arrhhh!!

48. habaddict_andy says:

Gomez on fire…Too funny.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

49. andrewberkshire says:

I think the most difficult thing for the flyers will be, who on that team would you honestly even want to give up? Briere maybe, but he’s not really tradeable with that contract. Everyone else on big salaries is a damn good player, tough to trade them for prospects and picks. But they only have 1.5 million in space next season with 18 players signed. Very tough situation as far as the cap is concerned.

50. TomNickle says:

Good question.  Not easy to move a lot of the contracts they have.

My guess is that they take a run at the cup and trade Pronger if they lose.  If they win, he’ll develop a mysterious injury or opt for surgery that could wait for another 10 years and they’ll put him on LTIR until his contract expires ala Rathje and Hatcher.  But that wasn’t blatant cap circumvention.

51. andrewberkshire says:

So… Who are the Flyers gonna trade to fit all these guys in?

52. W35T5ID3 says:

F the Canes.We’re gonna whoop them tonight.Just like we did the nucks and the bruins.Didnt the Canes get wallopped like 8-1 by the flyers at home in their last game???Yah,they’ll get shallacked again tonight by our boys.Gomez is on a 1 gm goal scoring streak and he’s on  fire !!!!

Thats a horses ass!

54. Keith says:

Cause it’s the laffs. They always get preferential treatment, or so it would seem.

55. g says:

I agree-but he’ll only be 36ish at the end

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

56. TomNickle says:

If the current CBA stays in place the cap will go up again and they’ll get out of the hot water there.  Coburn can be moved and Leighton could be demoted to free up space this season if they need it.

They are going to have to acquire some picks and prospects soon considering what they gave up for Pronger.  But they’re in no hurry with the core they have in place.  I pray every evening that nobody trades them a good young goalie.

57. observer says:

habs a better team if they show up but dont forget ward has a helluva record against montreal.

58. observer says:

or anyone – first you have to show up for the game and give 100% effort which this habs team is very well known to NOT do on many occasions.

59. observer says:

leafs  kadri called up to play for leafs tonight. today ahl suspended him an automatic 2 game suspension from something he did in his last game there BUT leafs and nhl are letting him play tonight. this is unbelievale.

60. Chuck says:

Habs are 7-0-0 when having one day off in between games.

Centre Hice: New Canadiens rating systems

61. notbigbird says:

FYI: I’m not much into wearing logos but there are nice team sweaters at Giant Tiger (in Ontario only?) for $33.99 right now. When I say sweaters, that’s what I mean — real sweaters not game sweaters (or jerseys) for everyday wear. I got the away/white version but they had others too — along with Sens and Leafs stuff in the Ottawa area.

62. TripleX says:

Cap hit of 5.27 million.  Makes sense from that standpoint, hopefully Markov signs for a long term to reduce the hit.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

63. ProHabs says:

Does Phillly ever run out of cap space.

64. MTLForever says:

ya, 11 years is too long.

65. aemarchand11 says:

11 Year contract for Carter. 5.75 Million/Yr..

I hate these long contracts, because I like seeing teams with new players every… 6 years or so. :\

66. dre1744 says:

maybe someone can set up a calgary get together!!!!!!!  I’m down for going

67. dasbooth says:

A little off topic here, but I’m a HABS fan living in Calgary. Always jealous to miss the summits. What are the chances of a HIO get together during the Heritage classic 2011?

68. nightmare_49 says:

Teams Beginning To Think Trades

by Bruce Rumours Garrioch.

• Sharks GM Doug Wilson would never show signs of panic, but the word in NHL circles is he’s getting worried because San Jose hasn’t performed up to expectations. Sure, it’s early, but Wilson has been frantically combing around the NHL to find a veteran blueliner. The issue: “There are none,” said a league executive. The Sharks might be willing to deal D Niclas Wallin and D Kent Huskins.

• While giving up a second-round draft pick was nothing at last year’s trade deadline, teams may think twice this season. The crop in the 2011 NHL entry draft is much deeper and that may give some GMs pause for thought when they look to make deals.

via Bob McKenzie tweet,

Jeff Carter has agreed to terms on an 11-year, $58 million contract extension with the Philadelphia Flyers. AAV of $5.27M.

69. krob1000 says:

way to go out on a limb

70. showey47 says:

We are 3-2 on saturday nights this year,both loses came on back to backs or 3 in 4 nights. But i know what you are saying,in previous seasons we seemed to play our worst games on saturday nights. I’d like to see last years records of saturday nights games and see if there is a difference between home games and road games with the friday night off. In other words,did having friday off and being able to go out in montreal friday night have a bigger effect then being off on friday and being on the road and staying in a hotel which usually comes with some sort of curfew(if there is one).

71. dre1744 says:

2 – 0  habs tonight  Carey will shine!!!!!!!!

72. avatar_58 says:

Time to beat Carolina. I’m tired of this team always winning

73. dudurules says:

Gunna be a typical Sat night game… 3-1 Carolina

74. coachdoug says:

Carolina will be beat tonight…two of the three stars in the victory will be Plek and Price…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”