Game 16: Power play helps Habs down Bruins

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges and goaltender Carey
Price stop Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron on Thursday night.
Brian Snyder, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog,
 Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: After struggling for most of the season, the Canadiens power play came to life on Thursday night in a 3-1 win over the Boston Bruins. P.K. Subban opened the scoring 5:19 into the game for his first career regular-season goal with fellow rookie Tyler Seguin sitting in the penalty box. Zdeno Chara tied the game 1-1 before the period when he beat Carey Price with a wicked wrist shot. After a scoreless second period, captain Brian Gionta made it 2-1 Montreal with Chara sitting in the sin bin. Gionta accepted a floating pass from Michael Cammalleri and batted it past Tuukka Rask. Scott Gomez, who hadn’t scored since the second game of the season, made it 3-1 for the Canadiens when he gathered a rebound and watched his backhand go off Rask, off the post, off Rask again before finally crossing the goal line. Thursday’s game was the 800th of Gomez’s career. Rask finished with 38 saves as the Canadiens dominated the shot clock with 41, while Price made 34 saves two days after a 35-save performance in a 2-0 shutout of the Vancouver Canucks.

• Key Moments:  The Canadiens finished 2-for-5 with the man advantage while keeping the Bruins off the scoresheet on four shorthanded chances.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record improves to 10-5-1 for 21 points with their second straight win. They improve to 6-2-0 on the road and sit four points ahead of the Bruins, who still enjoy three games in hand, however.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens kick off a four-game homestand on Saturday with a visit from the Carolina Hurricanes. The Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators and Toronto Maple Leafs are in Montreal next week.

1. InGaineyWeTrust says:

“If I remember correctly he was one of the first people to down the draft of Price when the Habs took him.”

And if you’ll remember correctly, damn near the entire fanbase was also one of the first people to down it because superstar-in-the-making, Gilbert Brule, was passed over.

“By the way I spoke about his hardon for Chara, where did you pick Price out of that.”

You briefly mentioned that. You spent the rest of your post trash-talking the man, and whining about how Montreal doesn’t get enough positive attention from him.

“Try and read the full thing before you try and spin things into what you want them to be.”

You should try to remember more than one sentence from it.

“You watch the next time anyone plays against the Habs and if the game is kind of flat he will pick on the Habs.”

THIS JUST IN: BROADCASTERS PRAISE HABS WHEN THEY DO GOOD, CRITICIZE WHEN THEY DON’T.

2. CharlottetownHabbies says:

Nicely played.

3. Muckbringer says:

ha, yeah passed it well tonight 🙂

4. slapshot777 says:

What do you expect him to say abot Price tonight, he is lucky. If I remember correctly he was one of the first people to down the draft of Price when the Habs took him. Montreal outplayed Boston tonight. So he had basically no choice only to praie Montreal.

Unless you expect him to down play the Habs as lucky. By the way I spoke about his hardon for Chara, where did you pick Price out of that. I said he was trying to make an excuse for why Chara shouldn’t get a penalty on that play, by saying that Chara was bigger and stronger so therefore Benoit went down.

Try and read the full thing before you try and spin things into what you want them to be. You watch the next time anyone plays against the Habs and if the game is kind of flat he will pick on the Habs. In the meantime he did pick on Lapierre early in the game saying that the Habs should make sure he doesn’t get matched up with Thorton or Lapierre would be sorry. Lapierre’s game is to get under opponents skin, doesn’t matter who the player is. Maybe it worked tonight as Thorton got two penalties.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

5. InGaineyWeTrust says:

Mcguire always got an hardon for Chara or another that isn’t wearing a Habs jersey.”

I’m sorry, but what? This is another great example of why the Pierre McGuire hate is, more often than not, completely asinine. The only time Carey Price’s phallus hasn’t been in Pierre’s mouth tonight are the times that Darche blocked shots. Your entire post was completely offbase.

6. Muckbringer says:

just control the puck now thats all we have to do

7. MTLForever says:

he is loving some price tonight though

8. MTLForever says:

THERE YA GO G-LOVE!!! 3-1

9. NightRyder says:

Gomer!! Four in 49!!

10. slapshot777 says:

Mcguire always got an hardon for Chara or another that isn’t wearing a Habs jersey. Mcguire make the excuse that Chara is bigger and stronger so therefore Benoit goes down easily. I guess it had nothing to do with Benoit not having the puck and it was interference.

It must kill Mcguire to have to give the Habs players a compliment. I don’t know if i’s because he is from Montreal or what. He doesn’t want to make himself look bias. I know it makes him look like a moron.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

11. Habs Proud says:

No goal call could have went either way, Halpern had doubts though. I like this PHD line!

12. Muckbringer says:

any one else in for calling pm fetusflusher speak now

13. slapshot777 says:

Not surprising it didn’t count, because it was Montreal that scored. I bet that if that went off a Bostons skated the other way it would of counted and I also doubt that it would have been video reviewed.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

14. fbkj says:

its his sig dude…

15. Muckbringer says:

mcfetusflush…..

16. Muckbringer says:

i swear mcguflush fetus sayin chara was just finishing his check makes me seriously think i could do his job (and finally satisfy his miss’s)

yeah i said it!!!

17. Muckbringer says:

thats garbage. although i dont agree with the rule how many times to we see those count?

18. Muckbringer says:

not a fluid motion…goal!!!!

19. punkster says:

No prisoners! NO PRISONERS!!!

20. Muckbringer says:

not enough giver?  lapps diving? really????

21. Muckbringer says:

i hate how they get in their face for just being at the crease with no contact.  thats the game, deal with it

22. Muckbringer says:

i second that

23. showey47 says:

Players unwilling to pay the price by scoring goals in the “dirty areas”? I also think puck retrieval on the dump ins and winning faceoffs in the offensive zone are also an issue.

24. Muckbringer says:

i think its all mental. we have the tools without metro

25. Muckbringer says:

i think its all in mental. we have the tools without metro

26. Muckbringer says:

no not really

27. oldrrty says:

One reason has to be the fact that they did not resign Metropolit. I know that he had 9 goals or so on the PP last year but you would give your right leg for those now, wouldn’t you?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

28. Muckbringer says:

what would your burke do?

29. Muckbringer says:

what would youre burke do?

30. Muckbringer says:

yeah, friggn chara is evil

31. Muckbringer says:

1st intermission question:

what can make a good team on the pk be so bad on the pp?

ill eliminate 2 answers.

1) overconfident

2) psycological defeat

any answers other than that, please?

32. observer says:

same problem exists – cant clear the zone. habs showed up for this game tonight and for 1st period were the better team even if it’s 1-1.

33. mike g says:

Was that the hardest wrist shot you’ve ever seen, or what?

F’kin Chara…

For a second I was thinking he broke the crossbar…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. Bill J says:

Only thing that seems to make sense…  Would be someone replied to you in a rather rude manner…

Thus my suggestion to the moderators a few days ago, instead of deleting.

Edit the post, this way the “powers that be” can see who needs banning etc.

By deleting it only hides the posters who are guilty.

35. Muckbringer says:

the d shouldve been better, carey you shouldve had that but you were there so ish happens

36. Muckbringer says:

spackec is a cave man.

37. Muckbringer says:

i get that too.  maybe it was just a “nobody cares” kinda thing.

thats my guess as to why it happens to me

38. Muckbringer says:

buds not playing/habs are

……………..dirty burger

39. oldrrty says:

So it should read like this then on the score sheet:

Montreal5:19, P.K. Subban 1 (power play) (B. Burkei)

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

40. Muckbringer says:

good work/hustle again pk…big boys take note

41. samTHEman says:

I called a PPG for PK tonight in my post earlier but it got deleted. Lol…anyone know why my posts are regularly  being deleted? 1/3 of them. I dont ever post offense content. Weird. Dubya Tee Eff???

42. observer says:

channelsurfing – bruins and edwards not very loud?

43. observer says:

thank burke for that first habs goal!

44. oldrrty says:

That a boy, PK!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

45. Muckbringer says:

p frignng k!!!

46. Muckbringer says:

click link skip ad and scroll down

47. mike g says:

What do u mean TSN?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. Muckbringer says:

2012?  that would be their best chance

49. Muckbringer says:

no tsn? one of the few i get

50. Say Ash says:

they’re focused on 2011-12

51. mike g says:

Anyone catching the game online?

None of the sites I know are working.

I tried atdhe, ilemi and channelsurfing.

Nothing!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. Muckbringer says:

no eye contact from leafers in the big smoke today…

53. Muckbringer says:

beans are my pick for the toughest in the east this year (and obviously more to come).  that being said, i think gio, cammi and yes, 11 have a rebound night tonight.

to surmise:

HABS GET AT LEAST ONE POINT TONIGHT!!!

54. MTLForever says:

As soon as I got to my soccer semifinals and then finals game today I got harrassed by a Bruins fan. Lets go HABS. At least the Leafs fans on my team couldn’t say anything like they did at the beginning!

55. db says:

I was wondering the same thing…

56. mike g says:

Those who believe everything he says…

Those who think he knows everything, the same way he thinks he does.

I’m not saying he knows nothing about hockey. He’s a smart guy.

But every single time I listen to him talk, he says at least one very stupid thing that makes no sense at all, but he sells it as the truth.

I just cant take his arrogance and big ego.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

57. MTLForever says:

He annoys me so much. Never admits he’s wrong, especially when he is on the panel. He argues.

58. kirkiswork says:

What is a Pierre Mcguire lover? ……never heard that term before.

59. samTHEman says:

Who keeps deleting my posts? WTF?? No swearwords in them.

60. SmartDog says:

Ya got me.  By clocks I meant zippers.  They all wear togas down there.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

61. Bugs says:

I hope you meant “clocks” too…

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

62. Bugs says:

Got a good feeling for the game tonight; lemme explain why: As you all know, my hockey game predicting abilities are practically non-existent. By that, I mean I stink at it. In football and soccer, I’m Jebus incarnate, but with hockey, whatever I think is gonna happen turns out to be the exact opposite of what actually DOES happen. Seen it too many times to not qualify this as an absolutely irrefutable scientific certainty.

And I think the Beaners are gonna beat us 3-1 tonight.

So rejoice! Cuz that means a win, baby!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

63. boris420 says:

First bruins game of the season. Who ever wins this one will win them all this year!

Watch games online: http://habsonlinetv.blogspot.com/

64. SmartDog says:

The servers are based in the Cayman islands (where all the bonus money is stashed).  They have enough daylight and don’t need to fuss with their clocks.

Yeah, fuss, that’s the word I meant.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

65. mike g says:

It’s still an hour behind…

The HIO staff  is suffering from post-summit syndrome.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Is the time of our post out by 1 hour.

Did the boys not put the clock back on the site yet. On the ball or on the bus boys.!

67. mike g says:

Good boy!

Want a cookie?!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

68. mike g says:

Hey all you Pierre McGuire lovers…

Can a man be more full of himself, and his useless comments?

Even when he’s 100% wrong, he still won’t admitt it. He still goes along with his dumbness.

He could have easily said, nope five-hole.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

69. SmartDog says:

I’m just getting over a nasty two-day flu and so am in an uncharacteristically good mood.  So having thought about it, I’m going on record that the O’Byrne trade is not a bad thing.  Even if Obi works out in Colorado, he wasn’t working out here, Colorado is desperate for D help and gave up a decent (mid-level) prospect to get him.

In short, I see it this way: for this trade BECAUSE Obi was given LOTS of chance and kept messing up despite his apparent best effort, Gauthier got back a reasonble prospect to go in our prospect pool.  The more prospects, the more likley there’s a diamond in that rough.  So why not?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!