Game 16: Power play helps Habs down Bruins

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges and goaltender Carey
Price stop Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron on Thursday night.
Brian Snyder, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog,
 Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: After struggling for most of the season, the Canadiens power play came to life on Thursday night in a 3-1 win over the Boston Bruins. P.K. Subban opened the scoring 5:19 into the game for his first career regular-season goal with fellow rookie Tyler Seguin sitting in the penalty box. Zdeno Chara tied the game 1-1 before the period when he beat Carey Price with a wicked wrist shot. After a scoreless second period, captain Brian Gionta made it 2-1 Montreal with Chara sitting in the sin bin. Gionta accepted a floating pass from Michael Cammalleri and batted it past Tuukka Rask. Scott Gomez, who hadn’t scored since the second game of the season, made it 3-1 for the Canadiens when he gathered a rebound and watched his backhand go off Rask, off the post, off Rask again before finally crossing the goal line. Thursday’s game was the 800th of Gomez’s career. Rask finished with 38 saves as the Canadiens dominated the shot clock with 41, while Price made 34 saves two days after a 35-save performance in a 2-0 shutout of the Vancouver Canucks.

• Key Moments:  The Canadiens finished 2-for-5 with the man advantage while keeping the Bruins off the scoresheet on four shorthanded chances.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record improves to 10-5-1 for 21 points with their second straight win. They improve to 6-2-0 on the road and sit four points ahead of the Bruins, who still enjoy three games in hand, however.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens kick off a four-game homestand on Saturday with a visit from the Carolina Hurricanes. The Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators and Toronto Maple Leafs are in Montreal next week.

1. Muckbringer says:

beans are my pick for the toughest in the east this year (and obviously more to come).  that being said, i think gio, cammi and yes, 11 have a rebound night tonight.

to surmise:

HABS GET AT LEAST ONE POINT TONIGHT!!!

2. MTLForever says:

As soon as I got to my soccer semifinals and then finals game today I got harrassed by a Bruins fan. Lets go HABS. At least the Leafs fans on my team couldn’t say anything like they did at the beginning!

3. db says:

I was wondering the same thing…

4. mike g says:

Those who believe everything he says…

Those who think he knows everything, the same way he thinks he does.

I’m not saying he knows nothing about hockey. He’s a smart guy.

But every single time I listen to him talk, he says at least one very stupid thing that makes no sense at all, but he sells it as the truth.

I just cant take his arrogance and big ego.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. MTLForever says:

He annoys me so much. Never admits he’s wrong, especially when he is on the panel. He argues.

6. kirkiswork says:

What is a Pierre Mcguire lover? ……never heard that term before.

7. samTHEman says:

Who keeps deleting my posts? WTF?? No swearwords in them.

8. SmartDog says:

Ya got me.  By clocks I meant zippers.  They all wear togas down there.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

9. punkster says:

No prisoners! NO PRISONERS!!!

10. Bugs says:

I hope you meant “clocks” too…

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

11. Bugs says:

Got a good feeling for the game tonight; lemme explain why: As you all know, my hockey game predicting abilities are practically non-existent. By that, I mean I stink at it. In football and soccer, I’m Jebus incarnate, but with hockey, whatever I think is gonna happen turns out to be the exact opposite of what actually DOES happen. Seen it too many times to not qualify this as an absolutely irrefutable scientific certainty.

And I think the Beaners are gonna beat us 3-1 tonight.

So rejoice! Cuz that means a win, baby!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

12. boris420 says:

First bruins game of the season. Who ever wins this one will win them all this year!

Watch games online: http://habsonlinetv.blogspot.com/

13. SmartDog says:

The servers are based in the Cayman islands (where all the bonus money is stashed).  They have enough daylight and don’t need to fuss with their clocks.

Yeah, fuss, that’s the word I meant.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

14. mike g says:

It’s still an hour behind…

The HIO staff  is suffering from post-summit syndrome.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

15. InGaineyWeTrust says:

Mcguire always got an hardon for Chara or another that isn’t wearing a Habs jersey.”

I’m sorry, but what? This is another great example of why the Pierre McGuire hate is, more often than not, completely asinine. The only time Carey Price’s phallus hasn’t been in Pierre’s mouth tonight are the times that Darche blocked shots. Your entire post was completely offbase.

16. Muckbringer says:

not enough giver?  lapps diving? really????

Is the time of our post out by 1 hour.

Did the boys not put the clock back on the site yet. On the ball or on the bus boys.!

18. mike g says:

Good boy!

Want a cookie?!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

19. mike g says:

Hey all you Pierre McGuire lovers…

Can a man be more full of himself, and his useless comments?

Even when he’s 100% wrong, he still won’t admitt it. He still goes along with his dumbness.

He could have easily said, nope five-hole.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. SmartDog says:

I’m just getting over a nasty two-day flu and so am in an uncharacteristically good mood.  So having thought about it, I’m going on record that the O’Byrne trade is not a bad thing.  Even if Obi works out in Colorado, he wasn’t working out here, Colorado is desperate for D help and gave up a decent (mid-level) prospect to get him.

In short, I see it this way: for this trade BECAUSE Obi was given LOTS of chance and kept messing up despite his apparent best effort, Gauthier got back a reasonble prospect to go in our prospect pool.  The more prospects, the more likley there’s a diamond in that rough.  So why not?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

21. Muckbringer says:

just control the puck now thats all we have to do

22. Muckbringer says:

i hate how they get in their face for just being at the crease with no contact.  thats the game, deal with it

23. Muckbringer says:

i second that

24. showey47 says:

Players unwilling to pay the price by scoring goals in the “dirty areas”? I also think puck retrieval on the dump ins and winning faceoffs in the offensive zone are also an issue.

25. Muckbringer says:

i think its all mental. we have the tools without metro

26. MTLForever says:

he is loving some price tonight though

27. Muckbringer says:

i think its all in mental. we have the tools without metro

28. Muckbringer says:

no not really

29. MTLForever says:

THERE YA GO G-LOVE!!! 3-1

30. NightRyder says:

Gomer!! Four in 49!!

31. oldrrty says:

One reason has to be the fact that they did not resign Metropolit. I know that he had 9 goals or so on the PP last year but you would give your right leg for those now, wouldn’t you?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

32. Muckbringer says:

what would your burke do?

33. Muckbringer says:

what would youre burke do?

34. Muckbringer says:

yeah, friggn chara is evil

35. Muckbringer says:

1st intermission question:

what can make a good team on the pk be so bad on the pp?

ill eliminate 2 answers.

1) overconfident

2) psycological defeat

any answers other than that, please?

36. observer says:

same problem exists – cant clear the zone. habs showed up for this game tonight and for 1st period were the better team even if it’s 1-1.

37. mike g says:

Was that the hardest wrist shot you’ve ever seen, or what?

F’kin Chara…

For a second I was thinking he broke the crossbar…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

38. InGaineyWeTrust says:

“If I remember correctly he was one of the first people to down the draft of Price when the Habs took him.”

And if you’ll remember correctly, damn near the entire fanbase was also one of the first people to down it because superstar-in-the-making, Gilbert Brule, was passed over.

“By the way I spoke about his hardon for Chara, where did you pick Price out of that.”

You briefly mentioned that. You spent the rest of your post trash-talking the man, and whining about how Montreal doesn’t get enough positive attention from him.

“Try and read the full thing before you try and spin things into what you want them to be.”

You should try to remember more than one sentence from it.

“You watch the next time anyone plays against the Habs and if the game is kind of flat he will pick on the Habs.”

THIS JUST IN: BROADCASTERS PRAISE HABS WHEN THEY DO GOOD, CRITICIZE WHEN THEY DON’T.

39. Bill J says:

Only thing that seems to make sense…  Would be someone replied to you in a rather rude manner…

Thus my suggestion to the moderators a few days ago, instead of deleting.

Edit the post, this way the “powers that be” can see who needs banning etc.

By deleting it only hides the posters who are guilty.

40. Muckbringer says:

the d shouldve been better, carey you shouldve had that but you were there so ish happens

41. slapshot777 says:

Mcguire always got an hardon for Chara or another that isn’t wearing a Habs jersey. Mcguire make the excuse that Chara is bigger and stronger so therefore Benoit goes down easily. I guess it had nothing to do with Benoit not having the puck and it was interference.

It must kill Mcguire to have to give the Habs players a compliment. I don’t know if i’s because he is from Montreal or what. He doesn’t want to make himself look bias. I know it makes him look like a moron.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

42. Habs Proud says:

No goal call could have went either way, Halpern had doubts though. I like this PHD line!

43. Muckbringer says:

any one else in for calling pm fetusflusher speak now

44. Muckbringer says:

spackec is a cave man.

45. Muckbringer says:

i get that too.  maybe it was just a “nobody cares” kinda thing.

thats my guess as to why it happens to me

46. slapshot777 says:

Not surprising it didn’t count, because it was Montreal that scored. I bet that if that went off a Bostons skated the other way it would of counted and I also doubt that it would have been video reviewed.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

47. Muckbringer says:

buds not playing/habs are

……………..dirty burger

48. CharlottetownHabbies says:

Nicely played.

49. fbkj says:

its his sig dude…

50. oldrrty says:

So it should read like this then on the score sheet:

Montreal5:19, P.K. Subban 1 (power play) (B. Burkei)

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

51. Muckbringer says:

mcfetusflush…..

52. Muckbringer says:

i swear mcguflush fetus sayin chara was just finishing his check makes me seriously think i could do his job (and finally satisfy his miss’s)

yeah i said it!!!

53. Muckbringer says:

good work/hustle again pk…big boys take note

54. samTHEman says:

I called a PPG for PK tonight in my post earlier but it got deleted. Lol…anyone know why my posts are regularly  being deleted? 1/3 of them. I dont ever post offense content. Weird. Dubya Tee Eff???

55. observer says:

channelsurfing – bruins and edwards not very loud?

56. observer says:

thank burke for that first habs goal!

57. oldrrty says:

That a boy, PK!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

58. Muckbringer says:

p frignng k!!!

59. Muckbringer says:

thats garbage. although i dont agree with the rule how many times to we see those count?

60. Muckbringer says:

ha, yeah passed it well tonight :)

61. Muckbringer says:

click link skip ad and scroll down

62. slapshot777 says:

What do you expect him to say abot Price tonight, he is lucky. If I remember correctly he was one of the first people to down the draft of Price when the Habs took him. Montreal outplayed Boston tonight. So he had basically no choice only to praie Montreal.

Unless you expect him to down play the Habs as lucky. By the way I spoke about his hardon for Chara, where did you pick Price out of that. I said he was trying to make an excuse for why Chara shouldn’t get a penalty on that play, by saying that Chara was bigger and stronger so therefore Benoit went down.

Try and read the full thing before you try and spin things into what you want them to be. You watch the next time anyone plays against the Habs and if the game is kind of flat he will pick on the Habs. In the meantime he did pick on Lapierre early in the game saying that the Habs should make sure he doesn’t get matched up with Thorton or Lapierre would be sorry. Lapierre’s game is to get under opponents skin, doesn’t matter who the player is. Maybe it worked tonight as Thorton got two penalties.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

63. Muckbringer says:

not a fluid motion…goal!!!!

64. mike g says:

What do u mean TSN?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

65. Muckbringer says:

2012?  that would be their best chance

66. Muckbringer says:

no tsn? one of the few i get

67. Say Ash says:

they’re focused on 2011-12

68. mike g says:

Anyone catching the game online?

None of the sites I know are working.

I tried atdhe, ilemi and channelsurfing.

Nothing!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

69. Muckbringer says:

no eye contact from leafers in the big smoke today…

Yeah, I am kind of bummed about that. I don’t know why, i though he’d still make it here.

71. K-hab25 says:

Ummm, you do realise that 3-1-1 is 5 games, not 4?

72. W35T5ID3 says:

Need a tissue?

73. Hagar says:

Now if only we could terrorize the Flyers, we’d be perfect.

74. habstrinifan says:

No team scares me if the HABS play like this. I mean skate and use their talents and flair (including making the mistakes that go along with playing the game on the finesse edge). It was a beautiful game and great to see the entire team compensate for each other. If JM allows this team to play as aggressively and imaginatively as they did tonight then this team can be special… and enjoyable. But if they play ultra conservatively they are not big enough nor ‘gritty’ enough to sustain a 60 minute effort.

Great great game!

75. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I guess you haven’t checked since Tuesday afternoon. If you’re talking about games where he let in 4 goals in regulation time, THERE’S where he’s got 2 more than Price.

76. j2w4habs25 says:

opps… okay lets say

3-0-1 :) 7pts

77. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, bang on, Bugs.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

78. K-hab25 says:

I think that’s why Krob wanted to bet, he knew your prediction was impossible. :-)

79. Bugs says:

Oh, I could ak better from my boy. Not ALL peaches’n'cream.

I could ask him to…say…SHOOOOOOT!!! a bit more. Cuz he’s got a friggin howitzer, what us frenchies call un sapré PLOMB.

Stop lookin to pass and friggin SHOOT. Screw Darche; screw Halpie, screw EVERYBODY, and friggin SHOOT, boy! And if it doesn’t go in? That’s a guaranteed rebound. GUARANTEED. No goalie can velcro a Poolio shot. Not that I’ve ever seen.

Have any of Y’ALL seen it? I haven’t seen it.

Un plomb, I say.

Shoot, ya silly bastich!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

80. Bugs says:

I have to admit; that one actually scared me.

But I long ago reckoned it best to not ponder the howcomes or whyfors and to just set the dang watch.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

81. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

My, my. Bugs a-gettin’ all frothy over Benny. Steady there. He’ll break your heart.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

82. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Really not sure which I’d like to see more: power forward with good hands in close (Bertuzzi-like) or a tough rugged d-man. Either would make a huge difference. But considering how well our team d is working, and how little we are scoring, I’d have to opt for the first.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

83. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

He merely expressed a desire to play more. He has always been a class act, and I am pleased he got a good paycheque and has helped turn a sorry old original 6 franchise into true contenders. Meanwhile, Carey is on fire. Let’s all be happy.

Oh, and the word is synopsis.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

84. christophor says:

How about Price leading the NHL in Time On Ice by almost 100 minutes?

85. light_n_tasty says:

Gomez.  Play like that every night, and I *might* stop bitchin’ about your contract. Might.

86. light_n_tasty says:

I love how that is Crazy Gerry, but it could just as easily have been Timo.  The old Timo, I mean.

87. CBrady12 says:

“Oh, and the word is synopsis” biggest douche comment I’ve read in a while… I really don’t get why if someone makes a typo on this site, someone is always correcting your spelling or grammar or understanding of word definitions…I mean seriously, can we lighten up a bit??

88. SmartDog says:

Second that.

Though bouncing the puck off the goalie, off the post, off the goalie is not something you can count on.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

89. twocents says:

It wasn’t that long ago.

90. volcano62 says:

No need to talk smack about Halak. And anyway, last time I checked he has 2 more shutouts than Price.

91. JIMVINNY says:

2 more wins in Price’s next 5 starts, and goodbye, xtrahabsfan!!!

92. N.B.habs fan says:

Thanks NightRider,very interesting,will put this page in my bookmarks.

93. fbkj says:

good win, focus on the whalercanes now

94. SeriousFan09 says:

QMJHL Update: In a matchup of the Montreal Juniors
    versus Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, Louis Leblanc went without a point
    for the 3rd time in 17 games, was -1 and again struggled with faceoffs,
    going for 4/11.

Morgan Ellis went -2, his team now has 15 regulation losses and only 6 wins this season.

Phillippe Lefebvre was more productive, adding his 9th and 10th goals of the season. was +3 and was the 1st star of the game.

Juniors improve to 8 straight wins.

For those who missed it, Brendan Gallagher now has gone two games without a point, BUST :p

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

95. since1988 says:

What about that new guy they got for OB did his team play tonight…by the way thanks for the updates keep up the good work!

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

96. showey47 says:

I think they scored 5 or 6 goals in 4 games. Doesn’t matter who you have in net,your not going to win scoring 1.25 goals per game .

97. RiverviewCanadien says:

If I am a Bruin…I never want to play Price. He kills them every time.

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Eagles/Juniors were only game in the Q tonight, I’ve already added the new guy to my updates list for this week’s Habs Future.

My pleasure, enjoy watching the growth of these young players.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

99. LA Loyalist says:

Great win on the road. We could do a better job directing traffic in our own end, but no complaints.

Price looks calm and methodical, patient and sharp. Maturity. Who knew?

I take back everything I said about rodeo… almost everything… everything except the stuff about the mud and the blood and the beer, about being lost in Austin, juiced in Houston, don’t remember Dallas, but Dallas won’t be soon forgettin’ me…

With apologies to Handsome Ned and Steve Goodman.

If any of you know who Handsome Ned was I will be muy impressed.

100. LA Loyalist says:

Modern era. I wouldn’t go back to that playoff series with Boston if I were you. We drink to forget.

101. since1988 says:

cool thanks again

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

102. naweed235 says:

great win tonight im am very satisfied by the season so far.. i dont mean to be a downer or anything but is anybody else somewhat worried by the play of Gio and Cammy? its like all the intensity and flair that helped them be successfull last year is all gone… i mean yes cammi has a pass or two every once in a while but he does not seem to be a scoring threat like he was… atleast last year when he was having a hard time scoring after he came back from injury he was getting chances left and right but they werent going in/… this year he seems to make a lot of beer league plays and misses the net alot… and i have a feeling in Gio’s case it might be an injury….

Any thoughts?

My sinopsis, short and very sweet!

Speed and finess kills large size every time!

And Halak Who??

104. fbkj says:

ian, i was never anti price, but i was also never anti halak, no need to discount what that guy did for us

105. JIMVINNY says:

The entire team stunk up the joint in that series.  Can’t blame just Price.

106. fbkj says:

i was at game seven where price shut out and eliminated the bruins, you may not wanna use the word us in regards to your selective memory

107. WindsorHab-10 says:

Did what we had to against a team missing key players. Always feels good to beat those guys. Nice game by everyone & congrats to Subban for scoring his first of many more to come.

108. SeriousFan09 says:

He shut out the Bruins twice in 2008, 2009 was just an overall team disaster. Since that series, Price has had a burning hatred for the Bruins to the point where they’ve only gotten 1 goal past him in each of his games against them since.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

109. Seps says:

I think LAL was talking about the year after that when they were swept by the bruins.  But, besides that he killed them the year you’re talking about and he’s 4-0 against them since being swept.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

110. WindsorHab-10 says:

Tough loss for Tampa Bay losing Lecavallier with a broken hand.

111. JohnBellyful says:

This business about the time being wrong on this site – I raised the flag the Sunday the clocks were supposed to go back one hour. I noticed the time stamp said 8:58 when it should have read 7:58.

(Submitted by JohnBellyful on Sun, 11/07/2010 – 08:58.

Hey, Mike, you forgot to turn your clock back. Which you really should, considering how the team is playing. Rewind it to the ’70s.)

I beginning to wonder now. Maybe it’s not a technological glitz.
    Could it be that HIO is … gasp! …one hour ahead the rest of the world. That it exists in “a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind … a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity … the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears and the summit of his knowledge.”

Yeah, that’s definitely HIO territory.

Let us use our gift wisely. To peer into the future only to learn what our opponents intend to do and then plan accordingly to ensure victory. It’s worked so far this week.

Please do not exploit the portal for personal gain. (Is that why some of the posts have been deleted?)

I now know the CH on the Habs’ jersey doesn’t stand for Change Hour, but what DOES it signify … what … WHAT?

Doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo …

112. LA Loyalist says:

And if that fire continues to motivate him to beat Bruins in the Playoffs this year it will be sweet revenge.

I still haven’t recovered from Komisarek losing his manhood to Lucy – that was the end of him. From Latendresse hitting a crossbar, from Price with his deer-in-the-headlights play…

The past is the past, as they say en France. We will probably have to beat Boston in the playoffs, never too soon to get into their heads.

On other matters, I trust you’re enjoying Koivu’s little run the past 4 games. Makes me very happy.

113. joeybarrie says:

TRUE, but tonight I was going for Sergei K against him. I think Habs fans can honestly say we have loved SK for a LONG time. That guy was a BULL. Never quit…..

OK I’m talking about Frankie.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

Not at all, he wanted a trade mid season, and he got what he wanted. I think he is a good goaler, but he is enemy now my friend.

We are first in our division.

we are first in our conference.

we are third in the league.

Not to shabby, even though others have games in hand. But they have to win them.

116. Seps says:

It’s just his first of the regular season, he got his true first goal of the NHL last year in the playoffs so Im not sure why they are making a big deal out of it because I think a playoff goal is a much bigger deal but hey, congrats to him anyways.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

117. LA Loyalist says:

I’m not blaming Price at all. I blame the management that put him and us in that position that he was supposed to be the next Roy or Dryden. He was an absolute kid. Not his fault.

That is a very painful memory and I as I posted hopefully pain will fuel victory. It takes a lot of mental toughness to win the cup.

You will see above I praised him highly for his play tonight. He looked terrific. A great win.

118. Seps says:

It turns out the two teams that are ahead of us in the league are also both in our conference, so we’d be 3rd in the league, 3rd in the conference.  Im not complaining though.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

119. Rugger says:

Anyone have the face off stats from tonight?  I don’t recall losing more than 2 or 3.

120. fbkj says:

he said modern area, price’s pwnage of the bruins is pretty epic before and after that season

problem is hes difining modern as not last season, but the season before

which is still super passive aggressive

121. SeriousFan09 says:

I selected Koivu in two pools this year, course I am! Seriously, it’s great to see him enjoy the game so much with his longtime friend Selanne, much more relaxed and able to focus on the game and it’s paying dividends for the Ducks.

Boston in the playoffs… as satisfying as that is to beat them, I’d love to have more go-rounds with the Capitals and Pens honestly, it just seems so repetitive to play against Beantown these days. We know the storylines, we know the history, I enjoyed the 2010 run so much because of our new opponents.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

122. fbkj says:

you are discounting his shutout in a game 7 as a rookie

that game alone suggests the people who put him there, werent exactly rushing him

he accomplished more than most goaltenders ever will outside of the NHL at that point

Quite so, my bad.

124. showey47 says:

54% to 46% for the bruins.

We were certainly much better in that department tonight.

We still have a way to go on face offs showey, but two on the PP tonight was nice.

127. jrshabs1 says:

I love the fact that I was so wrong about Price. I was not nice..my apologies.

Go Habs Go!!

128. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, where’s Gerry from the West Island with his Bold Italics?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

129. Seps says:

It’s aight, we all make mistakes.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

130. punkster says:

This team is playing too well for him to make an appearance…

Nuff said…

131. fbkj says:

no he didnt ian, thats not fair or honest, his agent is an asshole, which is another argument

halak is a class act, painting him otherwise is not cool

132. petefleet says:

What a game tonight.  Price and company played awsome.  Watched in Boston.  You could have heard a pin drop after the Halpern goal.  It was called back.  Then Gionta scored and you could smell a Habs win through the silence.  I’ll be in MTL for Saturday’s game.  Hope they take care of the Hurricanes.

””Price is a pleasant suprise”’

133. krob1000 says:

That was a hell of a game…Boston stills scares me…in a seven game series that monster forecheck they bring, combined with their bully attitude and standing in Price’s face after every whistle may wear us down.  With our extra cash come deadline I wouldlike to see a tough no nonsense dman added I think before a winger for our top six.  I mentioned earlier and after tonights gem I was thinking about what would be diff’t if this were playoffs as the game appeared to be played at that pace (and PM lert us know it about 8 times).  I thought the Bruins were very intimidating driving the net and were abusive to our d on the forecheck, Lucy looked good too.  The Habs should strongly consider approaching the Pheonix Coyotes about the availability of Ed Jovanovski IMO.  As Tom Nickle mentioned earlier the only other missing player style is that of an Andrew Ladd or similar player to fill out the top six.  I think we have more scoring than we are showing personally but the toughness of our d is what it is.  I am not trying to piss on a great win but I couldn’t help noticing them stand over Price after nearly every save and us look down at the ice, yet every time Rask made a save they cleaned house. ….so instead we had to ersort to firing at his head…which was hilarious by the way….he must have a mild concussion after the way we pelted his lid.

Only real complaint and it wasn’t even about tonight…it was looking into the future….the guys tonight were unreal and I can’t off the top of my head think of a single guy on the Habs who had anything near a poor game…..that was the epitomy of a team win…which is what it takes on the road…and in every playoff game.  With this cap space we are creating that would be my request…..unfortunatey to target someone like a JovoCop someone else would have to go.  Bieksa? might be a poor man’s Jovo….but does’;t make us too much better……Jovo…absolutely does. I can’t think of any other gamechanging dmen that would fit the bill any better who may be available this season.

134. Bugs says:

You see how my anti-prediction technique works? Could it have been MORE exact? Honestly.

You can set your flippin watch by it, by golly.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

135. NightRyder says:

Without more actual analysis, why wouldn’t we just look here every night?

136. twocents says:

Editing hhmph…

A player like Jovanovski would be a great addition down the stretch. He’s in his last year of his contract and come late February our 2 million cap space would cover the remainder of his cap hit for the season.

137. habs365 says:

you can’t ask for a better game than that….a complete team effort….and carey forget about other Goalies….we have our #1….going to be a beauty….vezina in the making.

Rocket knows.

138. Bugs says:

Have to say though: besides the Kid playing absolutely great again, and Gio and Gomie startiing to snap outta their funk, the only thing that stuck in my craw was my boy gettin the shaft on the disallowed goal.

It looked good to me, baby! And he shoulda gotten another point.

All I gotta say.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

139. SeriousFan09 says:

That could work for a playoff run, provided #Habs can nail him down at a good rental price.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

140. krob1000 says:

I can’t think of a better fit outside of Pronger and Chara both of whom we have to overcome and are 100 percent unavailable….Is Jovo the next best thing as far as a tough dman who can also contribute offensively?

141. mike g says:

Naw..

It was kicked in, easy call for the upstairs video review crew. Even Halpern wasn’t happy after the goal, and he didn’t even celebrate it much. He knew it, it was never gonna be allowed.

But he tried..

Anyways, regarding Pouliot, he’s opening my eyes this year. Gotta give credit where it’s due, and the kid’s all over the ice. He’s way more confident and patient with the puck, he’s skating hard in all 3 zones, and he’s dishing out the hits like an animal.

I honestly couldn’t ask for better play from Benny.

He’s playing up to par, and if he continues like this all year and trains hard in the summer, he will be one heck of a top 6 on the Habs next year. Just has to beef up a little.

I like him alot….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

142. j2w4habs25 says:

I cant wait for Saturdays game at the Bell Centre.

GO HABS GO~!

143. j2w4habs25 says:

the four game homestand will be

3-1-1 :)

144. krob1000 says:

how much ya wanna bet?

Technically we’re 5th in the league taking into account games played and goals differential. It’s the place to be though, fighting for a top 5 spot over-all. It’s where the Cup winners reside.

146. Hagar says:

Looks like the Bruins are gonna have a rough time picking the keeper they want to hold on to. Also, what the hell is going on in New Jersey? They’re an absolute mess. It looks like Gio bailed at the right time. Glad to see Carey is still tearing it up and G+G are snapping out of their funks. All the best to O’B. o

147. j2w4habs25 says:

how much u willing to give up? lol

I like the Habs’ D including Picard. I would think the place they need most help is up front but if they can roll 4 lines and 3 defensive pairs uniformly, in other words defending well while always being a threat on offense, the Habs will win many games and be an opponent nobody would want to draw in the 1st round come play-off time. Don’t get me wrong JoVo would be great, the Habs would have a Big 3 again if he was on the team. I hate speculating on what could be and rather take in what actually happens like today’s OB trade. It’s like speculating on what you’d do if you won the lottery.

If this isn’t a perfect road win I don’t know what is. Totally sweet game and so so so happy to see all the skating and attacking and not sitting back in the third. Will they do that consistently? Absolutely not, but for one night I am going to give them hats off for the great game.

As for Bruins – well… they always were, are and will continue to be Habs’ b!tches

150. Chuck says:

I don’t remember the Habs scoring too many goals in that series. Dryden wouldn’t have helped them.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

I agree. I am not sure how they can rule this a kicking motion. He was moving and his skate was moving with him. He turned the skate and as far as I know it is allowed to turn your skate. He did NOT kick the puck. BS call but whatever.

152. Chuck says:

I was there, too. Man, what a fantastic game and atmosphere that was!

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

153. habrez says:

I really liked Jovo. Just think he is getting a little old. But for a playoff push or run he would be a great addition. If we get Jovo, who would be  the odd man out? Spacek? Also if Coyotes are out of the playoff picture we could maybe get Jovo with a potential top 6 forward for some prospects or picks. I like our team. Management is doing a good job.

I would prefer to get Bieksa if wasn’t so worried he was gonna turn into another Komisarek or Phaneuf.

154. W35T5ID3 says:

100% Hab-solutely agree with you……..

….b’s = b*tches…

OUR B!TCHES

155. WindsorHab-10 says:

Habs were just waiting for O’Byrne to move on Timo.

156. saskhabfan says:

Hate to say it but the Bruins are a very, very good team, the team to beat in the East this year IMO.

Let’s hope we keep it at least presentable tonight and not get blown up by the Bruins.

What a game for the Bruins last night, coming from behind and socring 5 goals in the third period to beat the Penguins.

The more I see the Bruins play, the more I would want them to don the CH jersey.

Then I would not be so negative on this site.

We need to get bigger  and tougher folks on the D and up front!

Good luck to Carey Price tonight, he’ll need it

I think I know more than most about hockey and believe my opinions are almost always reasonable and thought out.-manapart.

I totally remember that post. Awesome. Where’s Retro now?

158. Habs Proud says:

If the Bruins are the team to beat this yes then guess what, they just got beat!!  Price must have found some of that luck.

159. MTLForever says:

Bahahaha.

160. Chuck says:

saskhabfan, you’re like the member of the coaching staff who scours the papers looking for quotes to put up on the dressing room blackboard.  :)

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

161. Say Ash says:

Ah, but worth a reply, it turns out.

162. HabFanSince72 says:

Coach Sacco of Denver on Ryan O’Byrne: “He played in a system that preached defense first, so he’ll be a guy who knows how to play in his own end.

He’s in for a big shock.

163. Bill J says:

LOL – nice!

164. habitual says:

O’Byrne’s gone now, our PP finally comes to life, Gomez scores a goal and the team plays a great game and your post is a shot at a guy who is traded, and who left with gracious words?

165. Ghosts of the Forum says:

hahahaha…I actually laughed out loud at that one!

166. since1988 says:

Great win love this team!

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

167. Muckbringer says:

yes good call. love this team as well!!

168. Muckbringer says:

so, as huge as this win was in every way, do you think there will even be a blip on nhl.com?  no figgn way oh lay!!!

169. dudurules says:

Why is it that during the week, the habs play great hockey and on weekends, there’s nothing left?  I hate to say it but I guarantee a loss saturday.

170. Seps says:

Ill take you up on that.  Last week they played back to back, they’ll be fine tomorrow.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

171. FB says:

One of the best games they have played so far this year

172. lenny says:

very acurate statement

That’s what I am talking about!!!!  Halak WHO?

I do not want to read comments again this year about our to small of forwards! They were spectacular.

We worked and skated our butts off against the big bad wolf tonight, by the 3rd period, their larger tough guys, were left with there tongue hanging out, in our speed dust.

Speed and finesse will kill the opposition and win championships every time.

Fantastic management this past 6 years.

Another super entertaining game. We are enjoying this product every game.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog  for summit pictures

174. Seps says:

Although I agree the whole team played great tonight, I do not think it’s fair to say we can’t complain about the forwards for the rest of the year because they had one good game, unless you’re talking about size wise because then that makes sense.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

175. SeriousFan09 says:

Some Road Stats for you:

Record: 6-2-0, good enough to be tied for 1st in NHL with BOS.

Road PK: 96.9 percent so far, 1st in the NHL.

Other Nice Stats:

GA/G: 2.12 per game. 4th overall in NHL.

Overall PK: 89.4% 3rd overall in NHL.

PP: Over 10 for the first time this season, 10.7%.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

176. BJT says:

Great stuff, man!

Hey, I didn’t see, did you post anything about our new guy?

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

177. Mattyleg says:

Huzzah!

That was a delight to watch. Especially in the 3rd, when we had the Boo’ins spinning around in their zone like a drunken matador.

Where are the doomsayers? The purveyors of gloom? Where are the ‘Observer’s? The ‘NightRyder’s? The ‘ManApart’s now?

It’s good to be the King…

Bonne nuit tout le monde, and sweet dreams!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

178. shootdapuck says:

Earlier someone was asking where all the trolls had disappeared to.

Today’s news reported that a man and a 21 year old lady were apprehended in Timmins while riding in a car nude?

Maybe that explains the absence of the infamous “jeff from Timmins”.

He got caught and the South Porcupine slammer doesn’t provide internet.

Or the sorry state of his Laffs has driven him to ground.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

179. Top Corner says:

HABS are FAST !!!!!!!!

All around perfecr game by the HABS !!!

180. rocketsglare says:

That saucer pass by Cammalleri were Gionta scores on the PP was just nasty. Watching the replay made the

play even more unbelievable. With P.K’s PP goal, I say the jinx is over. How about Carey? Another outstand-

ing performance. He definitely is in the zone. Great team win and especially against the hated Bruins.

181. SmartDog says:

Pretty awesome stat: Habs are 6-0-1 when scoring first.

And a nice quote from the TSN Boards:

Montreal is for real. I’m a Leafs fan…well I was a Leafs fan..But over
    the past 3 or 4 years I’ve become more of a Habs fan. It’s because they
    show heart, desire and ability. The Leafs don’t, I can respect the Habs
    cause they try day in and day out.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

182. slapshot777 says:

Price is a different goalie this year, I think that Groulx went out west and worked with him during the off season. He seems more focused, the iffy goals don’t seem to bother like other years. He is out on top of the paint challenging shooters and with him being a big goalie that takes away a lot of the net. I noticed too he has done away with the red pads. This was only helping the shooters.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

183. JIMVINNY says:

Re: iffy goals not bothering him, has there actually been any this year?  I don’t remember every goal, but I can’t recall any I would consider bad ones.

184. volcano62 says:

Great game! The PP has finally woken up!

185. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Great game.  PK’s best game of the season and Price continues to impress.

Off topic, but has anyone been following D’Ags??  Scored again tonight…what got into this guy??  I’m glad for him though, being a Soo boy myself!

186. twilighthours says:

Good for D’Ags.  Good guy who just couldn’t get it going in MTL.

Subban is a beast.  I have no words to describe his awesomeness.

187. ncurrier says:

If you’re like me I enjoy reading the major newspapers from the opponent’s market the day after games. I of course read the Gazette coverage and other local Habs coverage but I also enjoy seeing the opponent’s perspective of our team, and their (obviously biased on the other side) view of how the game unfolded and how the teams performed.

Boston Globe coverage

Boston Herald coverage

1. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view/20101111carey_price_backstops_canadiens_to_3-1_win_over_bruins/<br&gt;

2. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view/20101112bruins_may_have_hard_time_kicking_hab-it/<br&gt;

3. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/bruins/view/20101112bad_puck_luck_continues_for_tuukka_rask/

188. N.B.habs fan says:

Noticed how the coach said” they didn’t have their legs in the third”.In back to back games the Bruins will be in trouble if they can,t keep up with other teams.Poor excuse ,The Habs just played better.

189. Say Ash says:

Be the first, not the last.

190. db says:

By posting first, you’re read last hehe

191. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t hear about it until after the fact and the Habs I/O people actually posted the relevant information, he’s on my list for this week’s update, look above for my Juniors update for tonight.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

192. Julie H says:

Can’t wait. Let’s go Habs!

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

193. fbkj says:

hes let in some hed want back

but no glaring floaters, which is impressive

hes gonna have his bad nights too, but his play this season thus far is very

very

comforting

194. slapshot777 says:

There hasn’t been many which has been good. I think there may have been only one or two but that would be it anyway. The goals I should have said that also “used” to bother him were the bad bounces that he would get from his d-men where it would go off a skate or pad and go to an opponent with an open net. Deflections off of a stick used to bother him too, but then again that bothers every goalie, but in earlier seasons it affected his game, now he just shrugs it off as stuff like that happens so not to worry continue with your game.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

195. scrowe21 says:

Going to the game tonight..cant wait. Went to a Habs vs Bruins game last year and it was awesome.

196. Say Ash says:

I can only imagine that they yell dumb things like “Go Home, Frenchie!”

197. Chuck says:

Bring a hard hat and a urine-repelling jacket.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

198. Bill H says:

I just heard the news about O’Byrne. I was still hoping things would work out for him in Montreal, but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.  He wasn’t doing himself or the Habs any good in the press box.  So now he gets a crack at it in Colorado and we get about $900k taken off the books.  It seems like Bournival has potential, so let’s hope it works out, for the Habs, for Bournival, for O’Byrne.

So, Big Bad Broons tonight.  4 point divisional game.  As someone mentioned in the other thread, their line up is kinda thin at the moment, due to injury, and they played last night, so we better grab the points while we can.  Besides, the Bruins have 3 games in hand and are only one point behind us.  And 4 points less would put us in 10th spot.  So a win tonight would make a statement and keep the momentum going.

Be nice to come away clean tonight Bill, no 3 point game would be very nice.

The boys will keep us on the edge of our seats again for sure. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Enjoy!

200. Bill H says:

Great game last night.  Great team effort. There were a lot of positives.  Stellar play by Price.  G+G.  The PP.  The PK.  To name a few.  However, I don’t think we saw the best of the Bruins last night.  One must take into consideration that the Bruins played a tough away game against Washington the previous night and had to fly home after the game.  Add to that the fact they overcame a 2 goal deficit in the third period with 5 goals and you have a tired team that is coming off a huge emotional high.  Look no farther than our own team’s play the previous weekend…after beating Buffalo and flying home we lost to the Sens.  Its tough on players.  I’m not counting on a sweep of the Boston series this year based on last night.

An interesting take on the game by Boston blogger Ty Anderson

DOES JACQUES MARTIN HAVE CLAUDE JULIEN SOLVED?

I never thought I’d ask it, but hey, Bruins fans, do you miss
    Guy Carbonneau?

Since taking over as coach of the Habs last season, the Canadiens are
    6-1-0 against the Bruins and with the team’s so evenly matched in the
    skill department, you have to believe that bench boss

Jacques Martin certainly has the edge over B’s coach Claude Julien.

201. likehoy says:

game 1 of the post-o’byrne era!

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

202. SmartDog says:

I love the pick likehoy but isn’t it time to change the sig?  I mean, who else are you going to support?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

203. Mattyleg says:

Time for a new avatar…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

204. Willy the bum says:

Ash is probably making a Brisebois avatar now…. :P

205. Mark C says:

I was there for the Lucic beat down of Komi, and the fans started chatting “USA USA USA!”  I get it, but it seems silly when Komi was the American.

They yell, go home Canadians, they have no idea where France is my friend.

207. Say Ash says:

Don’t tempt me.

208. Say Ash says:

and Looch is a Burnaby boy

209. SeriousFan09 says:

Marc Antoine Godin’s piece on the acquistion of Bournival with thoughts from him, Super Series teammate Leblanc and a Team Canada coach.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

210. darcy1 says:

is anyone else having problems accessing the HIO main page? for some reason i have to go to the mobile page on my PC, the click the link redirecting me to the main site. Not having problems going to any other sites.

No problems here on my desk top Darcy.! Are you in Boston? Cause that could be your problem!

212. N.B.habs fan says:

darcy1,I had to do the same to get on HIO,I have wireless.

213. habfan53 says:

Not sure if you got my message  I’ll have a red HABS windbreaker and Canadiens cap on

214. scrowe21 says:

Lol that bad here is it? First time in Boston..

215. Say Ash says:

Worse than Philly? I bet not.

Summit pictures being posted on the Summit page here boys and girls.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

217. Chuck says:

Uh-oh… there’s photographic evidence?   ;)

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

218. darcy1 says:

haha.. good conspiracy theory.. but, i’m in Saskatoon

219. habfan53 says:

Hope to meet you later

220. Chuck says:

I’m still working on the wife. We were away this past weekend, so she wants to spend a night in watching the game. We’ll see…

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

SIZE is what others were talking about. I was meaning that size makes no difference in the speed game. Championships are won with speed a defence.

222. Seps says:

Yeah, if they can play like that against Boston, then size can’t an excuse against any other team really considering the only other teams with that size would be Philly and maybe San Jose.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

223. Mrhab24 says:

why am I so nervous about this game?

…I’m on a horse!

224. Say Ash says:

Dunno. Are you Tuukka Rask?

225. db says:

Cuz the bruins really are that good… and the Habs have yet to play to their potential.

226. SmartDog says:

LOL – good one!

I have a good feeling about it.  Bugs had it right – we’ve owned the Boons in the past.  They’ll need to beat us a couple of times in a row to win the momentum over.  Even if we lose we still own their asses.

And after the solid Vancouver win, I hardly care if we stink up the joint, but I don’t think we will.  I’m rarely this positive.  So take it for what it is.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

227. Everlasting1 says:

O’Byrne is gone. Get over it, troll ! :-P

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

228. Mrhab24 says:

Ya got me.

…I’m on a horse!

229. Habs Proud says:

Solid solid effort, great road win