Game 15: Price, Canadiens shut down Canucks

Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov scores on Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo with Vancouver teammate Ryan Kesler in the blue paint. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s
Game Blog,
 Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Jacques Martin | Roman Hamrlik | Carey Price | Josh Gorges | Andrei Markov | Jaro Spacek

• At a Glance: With an offence that has been sputtering, the Canadiens let their defencemen – and Carey Price – take care of the Vancouver Canucks 2-0 on Tuesday night. Price made 35 saves for his second shutout of the season, with 20 saves coming in the third period, including several spectacular ones in the dying seconds to preserve the shutout. Andrei Markov opened the scoring on Roberto Luongo 6:53 into the first period when he went deep into the offensive zone and pushed a rebound beyond Luongo. It stayed 1-0 until early in the third period when Roman Hamrlik scored a power-play goal for the Canadiens. After Michael Cammalleri missed the net with his shot, the puck rebounded to the front of the net and Hamrlik slapped it behind Luongo, who finished the night with 27 saves and was pulled for an extra attacker with more than two minutes to play.

• Key Moments: A four-minute Montreal power play in the second period yielded little for the Canadiens, with the Canucks getting the best chance with a 3-on-1 rush while shorthanded. Montreal finished 1-for-4 with the man advantage, while blanking the Canucks on four chances.

• What It Means: The win improves Montreal’s record to 9-5-1 for 19 points.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens face the Bruins in Boston on Thursday and are back home to take on the Carolina Hurricanes Saturday.

1. Bugs says:

Ohh, the way I go about it, ohh, I see. Well, that’s a worthy thing to whine about, I guess. Thing is though, all I can be is myself. So don’t hate me for being beautiful, mate; that’s not my fault.

That being said: thanks again for clickin on our site; it’s folks like you who keep us dealin the straight dope.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central: http://habsbros.blogsp

2. Thomas says:

Of course you don’t do normal, that’d be too normal right…gimme a break.

as for the one and only time view, your welcome, hope it helps out your pathetic “blog” haha

And no, producing supportive facts is not being defensive, but the way you go about it is, you’re a joke

3. SeriousFan09 says:

The Finnish Flash is also homing in Joe Sakic’s career goals, 13 more to top him.

I always like Carey for that calm demeanor and focus in nets. Always annoyed me when people insisted he had to ‘get mad’ in nets.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. LA Loyalist says:

Yes. Ducks are finally getting it going, and Saku has 3 points in his last 2 games.

I am very happy with Price, I think this was the best game he’s played that I can remember against a difficult opponent.

He seems to have concentration again, which for a goalie slows everything down (don’t ask me how it works, it just does). What a relief!

Enjoy the win!

5. Anonymous says:

He is saying Gainey is the bigger moron.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Now on to some Ducks-Sharks action for you I imagine?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. samTHEman says:

So you’re saying Pierre Gauthier is an even bigger moron?

8. dre1744 says:

Cause Glen Sather is the biggest Moron the world has ever seen!!!!!!!

9. slapshot777 says:

Great character win by the Habs. I’d say leave these line combinations together for a few games. This looks like they might work. Price was simply awesome, he is getting better with every game and you can see i in his play andhis confidence is growing.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

10. Habs Proud says:

Big stop to save  the shut out in the final seconds. For all that piss and moan about Halak being gone and the Habs can’t possibly survive without him, maybe just maybe Price gets a a little credit.

11. LA Loyalist says:

Congrats to Habs all around for passing a BIG test. And a shut-out for Carey, very good work guys.

“insert tagline here”.

12. ckckckc says:

YA BABY!! MOST SATISFYING WIN OF THE SEASON! EAT IT CANUCKS!!!!!!!

Ck

13. tricolore says:

Very solid defensively. Price flawless.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

14. jennifer1984 says:

ive got the good old laptop going watching the game on the couch. its ALMOST like watching it on tv. except the tv is on too. thats whats great about the boyfriend not watching the game.

the weirdness of me watching the laptop with full sound on the couch, and him watching tv with full sound on the couch

15. samTHEman says:

How is Gomez making 8 million a year? All interesting questions man. We wish we had the answers.

16. Muckbringer says:

pleks, kos or gom givr will be in on the next one

17. tricolore says:

POWERPLAY GOAL! POWERPLAY GOAL! POWERPLAY GOAL! POWERPLAY GOAL!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

18. Muckbringer says:

who else thinks cammi meant to do that?

19. Mattyleg says:

DID WE JUST SCORE A POWER-PLAY GOAL????

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Muckbringer says:

cammi gets one

21. dre1744 says:

I liked the play by Gomez on the PP  he crossed the blue line and faked a shot!!!!!   Faking a shot by gomez  does nothing cause everyone know he can’t or won’t shoot.

22. Psycho29 says:

How is that Alberts hit on Darche NOT a major penalty????

23. Muckbringer says:

spacek should do that just earn his pay

24. slapshot777 says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find that the ice is horrible tonight with a lot of bouncing pucks. Strange because I always thought the Habs had a very good ice surface.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

25. Muckbringer says:

i wanna try to stream it to the tv but that would disrupt the mojo

26. Muckbringer says:

k who was that that gloved the puck to the ref at the whistle?  nice play

27. Mattyleg says:

Heh.

Roenick: the Original Douche.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Muckbringer says:

snetp is blocked out here….thanks tsn!

29. Mattyleg says:

Don’t say ‘barely’.

Still in the lead.

If you win the Stanley Cup by one goal, you don’t win it ‘barely’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. Muckbringer says:

what are you doing lapps?  put him in a headlock; thats not holding…duh!!!

<re ak>

31. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I’ve tried to be a moderate.

I’ve done my best to be fair.

I’ve been supportive.

But Scott Gomez is driving me nuts.

Did you see that bizarre ‘between-the-legs’ pass directly to their player? In their zone? Setting up a 4-on-2?

Who was he expecting to hit, with his back to the ENTIRE RINK?

It’s just….tiring.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. tricolore says:

Gomez is playing hockey like a Mexican no offense. Or like a Canadian playing soccer. Take your pick. (FYI Canada hasn’t made the World Cup since 1986 and we did not score a goal in all 3 games….etc….)

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

33. tricolore says:

I’d rather see the Habs kill a penalty than go on the PP. They are really pathetic aren’t they? The Canucks had a 3 on 1 while on the PK? Thankfully Price was there. I’m amazed that as we approach the midway point of the game, they are still in the lead…barely.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

34. jennifer1984 says:

seriously.

im watching the game online so it’s Vancouver sportsnet. The commentators “the crowd is trying to figure out why Gomez didn’t shoot”

and i smiled.

but im glad Markov got the goal. and I have a feeling Gomez is getting one tonight

35. Bugs says:

Again! Gomez, right in the slot, he friggin passes.

He’s tryin to make a maniac outta me; gotta be.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

36. Bugs says:

That was the best play I’ve seen Eller do in 14 games.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

37. Say Ash says:

Seeing that 7-1 loss firsthand sucked, let me tell you.

38. kordic says:

Being from Vancouver and hating this team since it’s inception, this game hurts in many ways prior to and after the game(recent years getting killed). I have to endure lots of comments at work, bars, and so-called “friends”.

SO I ASK THE LORD TO SEND THIS MESSAGE TO THIS LOUSY MANAGED, OVERPAID PLAYERS, HORRIBLE SCOUTS. !!!!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE WIN THIS GAME !!!!!!! then they can go on struggling to make the playoffs for the umpteenth time. AMEN.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

39. Bugs says:

To produce supportive facts when called upon to do so is defensive? Okaaaay.

Oh, and I don’t “do” normal. Ok?

Fabulous.

And we don’t go for replies at Habsbros, we go for views. Sooo…thanks.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

40. ZepFan2 says:

Or this…

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

41. fbkj says:

gomez doin a mexican hat dance?

42. Thomas says:

Bugs…you are as defensive as one of my grade 6 students.  Why don’t you try and engage in some normal conversation for once instead of your smug, arrogant predictions and musings. So sick of it all.

Go back to your blog, I can tell by all the comments made on it how many people actually value your opinion.

43. Say Ash says:

Yeah, that was news for me, too. Thanks for that, Bugs.

44. mike g says:

Hey…

After each home game, the Habs’ 1st start shouldn’t shoot pucks into the crowd..

He should do this…  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq4zpFevcUw

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. mike g says:

Haha…

I’ll take bets for Pouliot falling with the over/under at 6.5

And for some reason, I think the over is coming in.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

46. Bugs says:

“Je m’attends a plus de Scott.”

Good?

Great.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

you consider not going to work losing? Hell, I am not going to work tomorrow either way. It’s my “work from home” day.

48. adamkennelly says:

lets please stop mentioning Guerin.  we all know BP is no super-star but everyone would agree that he is much better than Guerin – at the same role.  Guerin of 10 years ago – fine.  Hammer and Spacek of 10 years ago would be nice too but that aint gonna happen either.

49. Say Ash says:

Get out the socks.

50. ctony says:

or the DRINKING GAME….

51. Badwich says:

Let’s see. Gil -3

Taberwitt

52. Eliisa says:

Losing is not an option tonight, I have a lot riding on this game – a case of beer, bragging rights and glory. If they don’t beat those stupid Nucks I can’t possibly go into work tomorrow.

53. Say Ash says:

Oh, that makes for another bet! Which’ll come first the fall or the point? Call it.

54. Mattyleg says:

Over!

But one will be after his goal, so it’ll be okay.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. Bugs says:

Over/under is 3.5

Call it.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

56. Bugs says:

You laugh, but Gomie has “officially” been called out.

Let’s see how he responds tonight.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

57. Say Ash says:

Always a fun bet on Pouliot is how many times he’ll fall down.

58. Mattyleg says:

Under, but he’ll get one.

I love the way he’s throwing his body around!! Benny, where you been at?!

I guess he’d been thinking that he was a Zetterburgian finesse forward, and forgot he was a good Canadian boy!

—Hope Springs Eternal—