Game 15: Price, Canadiens shut down Canucks

Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov scores on Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo with Vancouver teammate Ryan Kesler in the blue paint. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s
Game Blog,
 Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Jacques Martin | Roman Hamrlik | Carey Price | Josh Gorges | Andrei Markov | Jaro Spacek

• At a Glance: With an offence that has been sputtering, the Canadiens let their defencemen – and Carey Price – take care of the Vancouver Canucks 2-0 on Tuesday night. Price made 35 saves for his second shutout of the season, with 20 saves coming in the third period, including several spectacular ones in the dying seconds to preserve the shutout. Andrei Markov opened the scoring on Roberto Luongo 6:53 into the first period when he went deep into the offensive zone and pushed a rebound beyond Luongo. It stayed 1-0 until early in the third period when Roman Hamrlik scored a power-play goal for the Canadiens. After Michael Cammalleri missed the net with his shot, the puck rebounded to the front of the net and Hamrlik slapped it behind Luongo, who finished the night with 27 saves and was pulled for an extra attacker with more than two minutes to play.

• Key Moments: A four-minute Montreal power play in the second period yielded little for the Canadiens, with the Canucks getting the best chance with a 3-on-1 rush while shorthanded. Montreal finished 1-for-4 with the man advantage, while blanking the Canucks on four chances.

• What It Means: The win improves Montreal’s record to 9-5-1 for 19 points.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens face the Bruins in Boston on Thursday and are back home to take on the Carolina Hurricanes Saturday.

1. Muckbringer says:

who else thinks cammi meant to do that?

2. Mattyleg says:

DID WE JUST SCORE A POWER-PLAY GOAL????

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. jennifer1984 says:

seriously.

im watching the game online so it’s Vancouver sportsnet. The commentators “the crowd is trying to figure out why Gomez didn’t shoot”

and i smiled.

but im glad Markov got the goal. and I have a feeling Gomez is getting one tonight

4. Bugs says:

Again! Gomez, right in the slot, he friggin passes.

He’s tryin to make a maniac outta me; gotta be.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central: http://habsbros.blogsp

5. Bugs says:

That was the best play I’ve seen Eller do in 14 games.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

The Finnish Flash is also homing in Joe Sakic’s career goals, 13 more to top him.

I always like Carey for that calm demeanor and focus in nets. Always annoyed me when people insisted he had to ‘get mad’ in nets.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. Muckbringer says:

cammi gets one

8. LA Loyalist says:

Yes. Ducks are finally getting it going, and Saku has 3 points in his last 2 games.

I am very happy with Price, I think this was the best game he’s played that I can remember against a difficult opponent.

He seems to have concentration again, which for a goalie slows everything down (don’t ask me how it works, it just does). What a relief!

Enjoy the win!

9. dre1744 says:

I liked the play by Gomez on the PP  he crossed the blue line and faked a shot!!!!!   Faking a shot by gomez  does nothing cause everyone know he can’t or won’t shoot.

10. Psycho29 says:

How is that Alberts hit on Darche NOT a major penalty????

11. Muckbringer says:

spacek should do that just earn his pay

12. Anonymous says:

He is saying Gainey is the bigger moron.

13. slapshot777 says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find that the ice is horrible tonight with a lot of bouncing pucks. Strange because I always thought the Habs had a very good ice surface.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

14. Muckbringer says:

i wanna try to stream it to the tv but that would disrupt the mojo

15. Muckbringer says:

k who was that that gloved the puck to the ref at the whistle?  nice play

16. Say Ash says:

Seeing that 7-1 loss firsthand sucked, let me tell you.

17. Mattyleg says:

Heh.

Roenick: the Original Douche.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. Muckbringer says:

snetp is blocked out here….thanks tsn!

19. Mattyleg says:

Don’t say ‘barely’.

Still in the lead.

If you win the Stanley Cup by one goal, you don’t win it ‘barely’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Muckbringer says:

what are you doing lapps?  put him in a headlock; thats not holding…duh!!!

<re ak>

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Now on to some Ducks-Sharks action for you I imagine?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I’ve tried to be a moderate.

I’ve done my best to be fair.

I’ve been supportive.

But Scott Gomez is driving me nuts.

Did you see that bizarre ‘between-the-legs’ pass directly to their player? In their zone? Setting up a 4-on-2?

Who was he expecting to hit, with his back to the ENTIRE RINK?

It’s just….tiring.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. kordic says:

Being from Vancouver and hating this team since it’s inception, this game hurts in many ways prior to and after the game(recent years getting killed). I have to endure lots of comments at work, bars, and so-called “friends”.

SO I ASK THE LORD TO SEND THIS MESSAGE TO THIS LOUSY MANAGED, OVERPAID PLAYERS, HORRIBLE SCOUTS. !!!!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE WIN THIS GAME !!!!!!! then they can go on struggling to make the playoffs for the umpteenth time. AMEN.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

24. Bugs says:

To produce supportive facts when called upon to do so is defensive? Okaaaay.

Oh, and I don’t “do” normal. Ok?

Fabulous.

And we don’t go for replies at Habsbros, we go for views. Sooo…thanks.

25. samTHEman says:

So you’re saying Pierre Gauthier is an even bigger moron?

26. tricolore says:

Gomez is playing hockey like a Mexican no offense. Or like a Canadian playing soccer. Take your pick. (FYI Canada hasn’t made the World Cup since 1986 and we did not score a goal in all 3 games….etc….)

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

27. Bugs says:

Ohh, the way I go about it, ohh, I see. Well, that’s a worthy thing to whine about, I guess. Thing is though, all I can be is myself. So don’t hate me for being beautiful, mate; that’s not my fault.

That being said: thanks again for clickin on our site; it’s folks like you who keep us dealin the straight dope.

28. ZepFan2 says:

Or this…

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

29. dre1744 says:

Cause Glen Sather is the biggest Moron the world has ever seen!!!!!!!

30. fbkj says:

gomez doin a mexican hat dance?

31. Thomas says:

Of course you don’t do normal, that’d be too normal right…gimme a break.

as for the one and only time view, your welcome, hope it helps out your pathetic “blog” haha

And no, producing supportive facts is not being defensive, but the way you go about it is, you’re a joke

32. Thomas says:

Bugs…you are as defensive as one of my grade 6 students.  Why don’t you try and engage in some normal conversation for once instead of your smug, arrogant predictions and musings. So sick of it all.

Go back to your blog, I can tell by all the comments made on it how many people actually value your opinion.

33. Say Ash says:

Yeah, that was news for me, too. Thanks for that, Bugs.

34. mike g says:

Hey…

After each home game, the Habs’ 1st start shouldn’t shoot pucks into the crowd..

He should do this…  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq4zpFevcUw

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

35. slapshot777 says:

Great character win by the Habs. I’d say leave these line combinations together for a few games. This looks like they might work. Price was simply awesome, he is getting better with every game and you can see i in his play andhis confidence is growing.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

36. mike g says:

Haha…

I’ll take bets for Pouliot falling with the over/under at 6.5

And for some reason, I think the over is coming in.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

37. Habs Proud says:

Big stop to save  the shut out in the final seconds. For all that piss and moan about Halak being gone and the Habs can’t possibly survive without him, maybe just maybe Price gets a a little credit.

38. Bugs says:

“Je m’attends a plus de Scott.”

Good?

Great.

39. LA Loyalist says:

Congrats to Habs all around for passing a BIG test. And a shut-out for Carey, very good work guys.

“insert tagline here”.

you consider not going to work losing? Hell, I am not going to work tomorrow either way. It’s my “work from home” day.

41. adamkennelly says:

lets please stop mentioning Guerin.  we all know BP is no super-star but everyone would agree that he is much better than Guerin – at the same role.  Guerin of 10 years ago – fine.  Hammer and Spacek of 10 years ago would be nice too but that aint gonna happen either.

42. ckckckc says:

YA BABY!! MOST SATISFYING WIN OF THE SEASON! EAT IT CANUCKS!!!!!!!

Ck

43. tricolore says:

I’d rather see the Habs kill a penalty than go on the PP. They are really pathetic aren’t they? The Canucks had a 3 on 1 while on the PK? Thankfully Price was there. I’m amazed that as we approach the midway point of the game, they are still in the lead…barely.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

44. tricolore says:

Very solid defensively. Price flawless.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

45. jennifer1984 says:

ive got the good old laptop going watching the game on the couch. its ALMOST like watching it on tv. except the tv is on too. thats whats great about the boyfriend not watching the game.

the weirdness of me watching the laptop with full sound on the couch, and him watching tv with full sound on the couch

46. Say Ash says:

Get out the socks.

47. ctony says:

or the DRINKING GAME….

48. samTHEman says:

How is Gomez making 8 million a year? All interesting questions man. We wish we had the answers.

49. Badwich says:

Let’s see. Gil -3

Taberwitt

50. Eliisa says:

Losing is not an option tonight, I have a lot riding on this game – a case of beer, bragging rights and glory. If they don’t beat those stupid Nucks I can’t possibly go into work tomorrow.

51. Muckbringer says:

pleks, kos or gom givr will be in on the next one

52. Say Ash says:

Oh, that makes for another bet! Which’ll come first the fall or the point? Call it.

53. Mattyleg says:

Over!

But one will be after his goal, so it’ll be okay.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. Bugs says:

Over/under is 3.5

Call it.

55. Bugs says:

You laugh, but Gomie has “officially” been called out.

Let’s see how he responds tonight.

56. Say Ash says:

Always a fun bet on Pouliot is how many times he’ll fall down.

57. Mattyleg says:

Under, but he’ll get one.

I love the way he’s throwing his body around!! Benny, where you been at?!

I guess he’d been thinking that he was a Zetterburgian finesse forward, and forgot he was a good Canadian boy!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

58. Say Ash says:

Over…Gomez, too!

Oh, that felt good.

59. Bugs says:

Over/under on Poolio’s pt production tonight: 1.5

Call it.

60. tricolore says:

POWERPLAY GOAL! POWERPLAY GOAL! POWERPLAY GOAL! POWERPLAY GOAL!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

61. VancouverHab says:

By the bye, VancouverHab is VERY happy — drinks on me for anyone who meets me at the Mountain Shadow.

62. kempie says:

If I was a knob, I’d be tempted to scoot over to the Blue’s fan board and point out that Price has another shutout. Of course I’d end the message with “just sayin'” or “’nuff said”.

63. krob1000 says:

I think by defensviely in Ellers case it is actually turnovers….he is a lefty and the turnover that keeps repeating itself is himholding on too long eight insde the blueline on the right side, it means he is carrying the puck in the middle of the rink where the back pressure will come and he is exposed….on the other side of the rink he is ok….he needs toprotect that puck and take away the back pressure lane by cutting in if he wants that ice…he may have to surrender his immediate ability to shoot with full power but he has repeatedly shown he is strong enough to fight off that defender when he does take that ice and uses his body to protect..he ahs done it several times…but unfortunately he keeps makjing the other mistake too…and coacheshate turnovers at the offesnive bluelien and especially Martin….I remember several times going to the Corel center and seeing Spezza be the best guy on the ice only to find hi sass stapled to the bench for similar plays…..only spezza turned it over with more ugliness if you willa s it was usally a no look drop pass but hte result was the same

64. NightRyder says:

Bullshit.

Three goals in 48 games is not contributing. It is sucking. He had a 17-game goalless streak in the playoffs and takes up $7.4M in cap space.

And the Sedins have both been excellent the last two years in the playoffs. Their overpriced goalie has imploded, not them.

65. NightRyder says:

Some of the scoring stars who have at least TWICE AS MANY points as Gomez:
    Josh Gorges
    Jordin Tootoo
    Mark Methot
    Blair Betts
    Guillame Latenderness

Some of the big names that have the same amount of points:
    Derek Dorsett
    John McCarthy
    Tyler Sloan
    Jassen Cullimore (!)
    Mike Mottau
    Tom Kostopoulos
    Rob Scuderi
    Matthew Corrente
    Theo Peckham
    Davis Drewiske
    Chris Butler
    Frankie Bouillon

66. Mattyleg says:

Thanks NightRyder! That’s great! You’re very useful!

What a wonderful way of celebrating a victory you said would never happen!

Yay!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

67. andrewberkshire says:

When you’re talking about Gomez, as much as he pisses me off, it’s complete and utter BS to even bring up goals. It’s not his game. Talk about point totals, because he’s a playmaker, not a shooter.

68. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Some thoughts:

I had to laugh watching the ‘Nucks’ stretch passes getting picked off repeatedly by our defenseman cutting them off. They looked like the Habs of two years ago.

It’s about time someone gave cudo’s to Piere Groulx. He stated his intention at the start of the season to get Carey to stand up and challenge shooters rather than collapse into his default position of covering low. Success! You could see the ‘Nucks’ shooters waiting for Carey to go down, but he declined, and they were left firing into his chest and shoulder. He’s playing with terrific confidence.

Gionta, on the other hand, isn’t. And you saw it on that play in the third when he received a pass on Luongo’s right, and held the puck for a few seconds, thinking about the shot rather than relying on instinct. But the instinct will return. Same goes for Cammy. On a power-play early in the second, Cammy was set up for an easy tip-in at the left post, but he’d drifted away from the front of the net.

However, what do we do for a second-line center? AK must wonder what he did wrong to get saddled with Gomez. The only chances he and Laps had were when they broke into the ‘Nucks zone together, minus Gomez. There was one moment, at the 13 min. mark of the 2nd, when AK carried the puck in with Gomez on his right. He fed him a lovely pass which Gomez proceeded to lose within seconds, and suddenly the ‘Nucks streaked back and had a scoring chance. AK must watch Pleks out there dishing out those seeing-eye passes,  and silently whimper.

At almost the exactly same point of the 1st, Gomez had a wide-open shot from about 9 feet out, and he chose to try to hit Gionta. Then, a minute later, similar situation, he does shoot, and Luongo gives up a juicy rebound off his trapper. Will he learn? Doubt it.

I am all for splitting Gomez and Gionta up because Scott must get out of his habit of simply dumping the puck off to Gionta and expecting him to make a play happen. And the chemistry that Pleks and AK were developing early in the season should be allowed to flourish. But what to do with Gomez?

As for Pleks, what can one say, other than: take that all you who claim that players only produce when their contracts are up! In the first period, Cammy put a pass into Pleks’ skates which, without breaking stride, he kicked up to his stick, and laid a beautiful pass into Gionta, which, after another Luongo rebound,  ended up on Markov’s stick for the first goal. And he has become one of the league’s premier penalty killers. Like Datsyuk, he’s a constant threat to score short-handed.

Meanwhile, cudo’s also to Benny who is slowly developing into a solid two-way forward. And Eller clearly doesn’t want to return to the press-box. He had one of his best games yet. And to all those who smeared Darche (and all francophones) by claiming he has a spot only because of his gallic name, this finger’s for you. He is game-in and game-out, one of our hardest working players.

Last thought: as happy as I am about this win, and the $25 I won from my brother out on the left coast, if JM can’t fix that PP, the win column is going to cower next to the hulking loss column.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

69. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Oops, that turned out to be long one. Sorry, haven’t been posting this season, so I’ve been saving it up.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

70. NightRyder says:

I never said it wouldn’t happen.

Anything is possible when your goalie plays well, we learned that last year.

An excellent win. Gomez blows. What’s your point?

71. andrewberkshire says:

I cannot tell you how nice this one was.
    Sitting at a birthday party with about 40 rabid Canucks fans it had the
    potential to be very ugly.

Thanks boys, I promise not to point out that Gomez now has three goals in his last 48 games.

72. krob1000 says:

I disagree andrew on the playing well thing…I ahve really only seen two below average games from Eller….and he is getting benched….but I get it…it is jsut ahrd to swallo given the vets are doing it….but this isn;t kindergarten and fair isn’t a priority for JM…winning is and teaching the kid a lesson is too.  He isn;t going to change the habits of Gomez, Spacek, Hammer, Gill,etc…..he can infuence the players in the growing stages and establish a system.  The vets are making mistakes but JM knows they know better and are just messing up….Eller has probably been so dominant at other elvels that he has never had to worrya bout turning those pucks over….beacuse of our makeup too when special teams come into play Eller is the odd man out…his linemates can play pk, and aren;t good enough for the pp…so in games marred with pp’s he also gets sueezed for minutes…personally I would like to see the kid rewarded with some pp but I am starting to recognize JM’s methods anyway…..don’t fully agree but I am able to put my ownmind at ease by at elas beginning to understand the bigger picture and scope of what is happening with this whole organization from the top down

73. JohnBellyful says:

You’re right. The first time they played the Islanders had won four and lost four but two of the losses were in OT or shootout, so by that measure, the only one that counts, they were, correctly, a team above .500. Montreal did win the first encounter so when the teams played again two nights later, the Islanders had lost five compared to four wins, but as just stated …

Showing my age, harking back to a time when a loss was a loss. And ties weren’t verboten.

And here’s my vote in favour of getting rid of shootouts. It’s a team game that shouldn’t be decided by artificial one-on-one contests. A tie is a compromise — not a bad thing in today’s world.

Okay, how about if I rephrase it to see tonight’s opponent was the strongest competition the Habs have yet to face this season

74. NightRyder says:

More BS.

He has three POINTS in 14 games then. How’s that?

He is terrible. For $7.4M, we’re not allowed to expect more than 3 goals in 48 games because the delicate genius is a “playmaker?”

That dog don’t hunt.

75. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Completely agree. Or put Cammy with Halpern and Benny as a second line. Maybe Darche’s work ethic will rub off on Gomer.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

76. Psycho29 says:

It’s called too much time in Mommy’s basement…

Why not just enjoy the win? The team won and that’s what matters…

77. NightRyder says:

I am enjoying the win.

I’m tired of people defending Scott Gomez.

78. andrewberkshire says:

I cannot tell you how nice this one was.
    Sitting at a birthday party with about 40 rabid Canucks fans it had the
    potential to be very ugly.

79. andrewberkshire says:

I’m just breakin’ balls John. Have a good night.

80. HabFanSince72 says:

I know that Bugs.

81. NightRyder says:

You needed to double post that to explain my own joke to myself?

I’m not a Leafs fan.

82. Omit says:

“If you run a marathon and step in some dogshit along the way, should you just ignore the dogshit when you get to the end?”

You’re right.  After a win like tonight’s game, and reading your post, I feel the same way. I couldn’t ignore you.

83. andrewberkshire says:

Not to explain a joke, just to point out how stupid it was to promise not to say something and then say it 25 times in the next 15 minutes.

As for Gomez, I’m not defending him, he’s been terrible, just pointing out that your criteria for judging him is wrong. By the same margin that I wouldn’t say Gill is struggling if he isn’t racking up assists.

84. andrewberkshire says:

I think he’s been a normal rookie, struggling with consistency. I find once every two games he plays lights out. The only problem I see with JM’s theory of benching Eller to win games, is that tonight I don’t think we would have lost if Eller played more, in fact I think we probably would have had another goal from Kostitsyn or Lapierre who played great games if Eller played with them instead of Gomez, who’s been lost all but 2 games this young season.

85. MTLForever says:

i thought eller was doing fine..but if you check his ice time..JM thought otherwise.

86. NightRyder says:

Humour is lost on you? Shame.

My criteria in judging him goes beyond the goals. That’s just the most jarring example of his ineptitude and it bears repeating over and over and over because it is so freaking abysmal.

He is terrible, even by your “playmaker” standards. End of story.

I have said 3,000 times that I hope he scores 30 goals and gets 85 points. I do not take any pleasure every time he has a terrible game just so I can be right on a message board.

87. db says:

Conklin got a shutout in front of that Blues team…. so, maybe it isn’t Halak? :p

88. NightRyder says:

So a win in game 14 of the season means I should not have any negative thoughts about a $7.4M centre who has 3 goals in 48 games?

If Price let in three goals tonight and the result was different, guys like you would be on here joining the chorus.

89. MTLForever says:

We can’t do anything about the price tag on him, NYR signed that, we just picked it up. You have to look at what Gomez does that a lot of others can’t, like when he takes the puck from our end into theirs, better than dumping the puck in and the opposition’s D collecting it easily before our forwards. I would like to see him contribute more on the score sheet but for right now, it’s okay as long as others produce.

90. VancouverHab says:

Hmmm.  makes sense. Is JM treating Eller the same as or differently than other young players on the team, over the last couple of seasons?

91. observer says:

sorry but habs lost more than they won last year so youd have stepped in a lot and it would stick to your shoes unless off course you on the way washed gomez off your boots.

92. NightRyder says:

Yes, his taking it behind the net (with the other team giving him the space because they know he’ll never shoot), losing it and being stuck behind the play is so effective. I couldn’t agree more.

And how is it OK as long as others produce? Wouldn’t the team be better if the guy brought in to be a No. 1 centre actually played like one?

Please stop defending this pud and realize he needs to go. Even when he “heats up” and gets back on his regular 15-goal, 50-plus point pace, he still has to go.

93. NightRyder says:

Conklin: 0.96 GAA, .960 save percentage.

Auld: 1.00 GAA, .970 save percentage.

Who needs Halak or Price?

94. Omit says:

Nah.  I’m not a whiner, let alone a constant one.

Your problem is that you repeat yourself a lot.

95. NightRyder says:

Guilty as charged. I’ve repeated ad nauseum for two years now that Price would be just fine and that Gomez sucks.

When I’m wrong, please let me know.

96. dre1744 says:

And you forgot  some of the goalies that have 2 less points then Gomez

Carey Price

97. Johnny_D says:

If you troll, but nobody is there to take the bait, is it really a troll?  I doubt any of the 18 Blues fans on the fan board would be on anyways ;)

98. Everlasting1 says:

19 :-P

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

99. Bugs says:

I don’t know if anyone noticed, but looks like the Kid’s come to play this year.

Kicked azz out there tonight.

100. samTHEman says:

Ofcourse. He’s showed up every game so far this season. Gomez on the other hand…

101. Seps says:

I hope Price keeps on getting shutouts, it actally creates a positive atmosphere on this site.  It’s great

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

102. twocents says:

Interesting observation. I’ll pay more attention next time. You may be on to something.

103. otter649 says:

Good make up game for Price after being bombed last season in Van City by letting in seven goals and being pulled……..

104. SeriousFan09 says:

That was a bad game for Carey, but 3 of those goals were the team hanging him out to dry. One of their worst early efforts of last season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

105. Puck Bard says:

I missed the game… really happy for Carey, the Habs and Habs fans.

106. Puck Bard says:

Oooo! Managed to forget that. No wonder he came to play.

107. beebZ says:

A truly satisfying game, wtg Carey………. Go Habs go!!!!

108. otter649 says:

Both teams should check in with their stick supplier as there were a bunch broken sticks tonight on both sides with a bunch broken in the defensive zone which made things interesting………..

109. otter649 says:

Yes it does – fewer troll visits………

110. beebZ says:

I don’t remember him being pulled in that game.

111. LA Loyalist says:

Just re-watched the highlights and Price looked cool calm and collected like when he first came up. That shot that he reached back and pulled out of the crease showed he was totally in the zone. A year ago he would have knocked it in. Good work and a deserved S/O

My only complaint is the moustache :) whazzup with that?

“insert tagline here”

112. dre1744 says:

they did pull him in that game…..  I think around the middle of the 3rd period.

113. nastyHABit says:

habs win,laffs lose…..great game Carey…..now can we shut up about halak,the kid has come to play!

114. krob1000 says:

Boogard scored his first since 05-06 ….. Luc Robitaille was still playing when the Boogeyman last scored

look out gomer he’s one assist back lol…just kidding folks…just kidding….

115. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Way to go habs! I can walk with my head up high walking the streets of Vancouver tomorrow.

116. Habscat says:

I didn’t get to see the game tonight, but I am happy for another big effort from Price! I see that Eller only played 4 minutes, did he get hurt, or was JM just not playing him?

http://stores.ebay.com/Gushue-Sports-Cards http://ronthecat.webs.com/

117. deuce6 says:

It’s “Movember”..

Alot of guys grow a moustache in support of Prostate Cancer Awareness..Price must be joining the fight….

118. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Actually, the head’s always held high knowing I’m not a ‘nucks fan.

119. deuce6 says:

4th line..Ass nailed to the bench.. :\

120. NightRyder says:

I cannot tell you how nice this one was. Sitting at a birthday party with about 40 rabid Canucks fans it had the potential to be very ugly.

121. Puck Bard says:

Movember, Dude! Man, even I’m sportin’ a stach.

Don’t look now, but the Leafs are headed for the cellar.

122. JohnBellyful says:

Hurray. Finally, the Habs beat a team entering the game with a winning record. Two other firsts – as in goals for the season, from Markov and Hammer. And thank you, Mr. Price. More of the same, I trust, in Boston Thursday. I know we can count on you. And Plekanek, Gorges, the Halpern line. Gionta and Cammalleri are also showing signs of life.

As satisfying as the win was, the second period was infuriating if you’re a Hab fan. Giveaways, odd man rushes, bonehead penalties and an absolutely atrocious power play. I liked the fact that Martin put out the PhD line the next time Montreal had the man advantage after blowing the four-minute PP. They were there to put the puck in the net, for sure, but also probably to cut down on the shorthanded scoring opportunities by the Canucks.

I swear whenever the Habs have a power play these days, it’s like an optical illusion takes hold. Montreal’s extra player disappears and the opposition seems to have more than enough to swarm whichever Hab player has the puck.

The team finally broke through for a PP goal in the third with the simplest apprroach of all: blast the puck.

Maybe there is reason for guarded optimism as the team heads into the tougher part of the schedule. As bad as much of the team has played, it still has managed to compile a record above .500. Just imagine how good it will be when all facets of its game come together. We’ll have a better idea before the month is out.

123. Aybara says:

He was looking good at the start, one shift made a nice run around Van’s zone but lost the puck in the end. I think why he might have been sat is he coughed the puck up pretty bad at one point I believe leading to a nice chance for Van.

Max Pac’s words may have some truth to them. What am I to say though, we won.

124. Bugs says:

Swear to gosh; observe for yourself next time and lemme know.

Just noticed it meself.

125. NightRyder says:

Boogaard has the same amount of goals as Scott Gomez? No way.

126. HabFanSince72 says:

Carey is turning into the player the Habs hoped for when they drafted him. He’s dominant, fast, and always keeps his cool.

One thing I bet the H I/O commentariat didn’t notice is that Jack Martin knows how to coach. Add the Sedins to the list of flashy high scoring forwards we’ve shut down in 2010.

127. Propwash says:

Might wanna get your prostate checked then….

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

128. Bugs says:

I hope/assume you invited all those fine folks to eat your shorts after the game?

129. Mikey_39 says:

I thought Gomez looked better against Ottawa but tonight was just brutal.  He’s so sloppy and lazy, and it’s freaking frustrating.  I know it’ll never happen, but I wish they’d send him down to the minors.  I really can’t take it anymore.

And while they’re at it, for the love of God, send Eller with him.  He can’t be playing less than 5 minutes a game and actually be developing anything other than confidence issues.  I feel bad for this kid, but he’s not going to get his chance this year, and I don’t want to destroy a decent prospect.

Besides, at this point I think we’d be better suited with a Ryan White on our 4th line rather than an Eller who doesn’t belong in a 4th line role

Anyways, good win.  We need to show that we can beat the best too.

130. NightRyder says:

I swear on the Rocket’s name this happened.

The schmoes I was watching the game with changed from the TV to the radio for “good luck.”

The call picked up at exactly this moment:

“Gomez has the puck in the neutral zone. He hits the blueline and he’s poke-checked by Ehrhoff. Canucks, moving the other way…”

They had no idea why I laughed.

131. Bugs says:

Don’t include me in that non-noticing commentariat, mate; always had Jack Marty’s back, me.

132. krob1000 says:

ths scarier part is he’s one assist back lol .   Gomez is lost out there right now…..his confidence is shot…he is overthinking everything…reminds me of Ryder when the crows got on him.  I am not sure what Gomez can do right now but play well in otehr areas and contribute defensively…he needs some breaks to put his mind at ease ….same with Gio…and Cammi for that matter……none of those three seem to have that poise htat has carried their careers….that is confidence and mental. Gomez especially though is just panicking…absolutely panicking…very uncharacteristic of a guy with his skill set.  I seriously think he needs a game in the pressbox…followed by a couple of games with top pp time and two wingers….see if that shakes things up for him because something has to give he is just not himself out there.

133. Magg says:

Hugeeee win. One of those “confidence boosters”. They know they can handle the big teams now, and without getting pushed around. Great game by Price, he’s back and better than ever, and that’s exactly what this team needs if we’re going anywhere…and I love the Subban/Price triple low-five celebration, it may be subtle but its a good sign that there is a tight bond in the room, free of all the bad influences that have ruined team chemistry over the past couple of years, going back to the Theo-Breezer-Ribs clique…but I digress, Price beat Louuuuuuuuuu, all is good in the world! :D Imagine if Price had scored on the empty net?! Pandemonium would be an understatement.

For the record, I’ve been reading this site religiously for over two years, but I never really felt like posting anything. Maybe its because I used to post on the Habs site forum, but I got turned off by it after awhile because of all the nonsense people were puting on it. But as I started reading more and more posts I realized that you are all very knowledgable fans, and I just had to get in on this. Looking forward to some great conversations with you all!

134. Habscat says:

Wow! Thanks for filling me in on his night. Its hard for the guy to prove he will be a good player in that trade when he never gets to play and is scared to make a mistake. Hope JM doesn’t ruin this kid.

http://stores.ebay.com/Gushue-Sports-Cards http://ronthecat.webs.com/

135. HabFanSince72 says:

Jesus! Do you actually support this team? We just shut out one of the best teams in the league.

136. NightRyder says:

I was actually very quiet so as not to upset the Gods of the Shutout late in the game.

There is now a replay of the game on. I may head back over (two houses over) in a bit and ask the stragglers what the score is.

137. krob1000 says:

Eller keeps holding on too long inside theblueline, same turnover keeps happening, pocket picked from behind….he needs to start feeling that back pressure and protecting the puck…he canmake the time with a subtle change of bodyposition but he probably just isn;t used to having to but wiht his size it should be an easy adjustment…but it is hte same turnover that is driving JM nuts….it’s a shame because he does so much else right…but it seems every time he makes that same mistake notonly does his pocket get picked clean but it always leads to a chance against and lately sustained pressure…tough luck but the skils are there.

138. Bugs says:

Comcast highlight dude dubbed Roman’s goal “the Hamrlik manoeuver”.

What I refer to as : finding the bon mot. It’s cute. I think I like it.

139. fbkj says:

heh just got back from the game, highlight of the night was after the game in the bathroom someone yelled in french “BULLSHIT GAME, IF HALAK WAS IN NETS WE WOULD HAVE WON 2 to -1″!

to which all at the urinals, and a few in the stalls, guffawed

140. andrewberkshire says:

I’m inclined to fault Eller since he had an excellent first period only to be stapled to the bench for over an hour. His first shift back he makes a mistake, what’d the coaching staff think would happen? I’m all for breaking the kid in slowly, but he shouldn’t be constantly punished when he’s playing a good game, better than Gomez for example. Tonight was an excellent effort by the team, but my lone complaint is Eller was treated like crap for no reason.

141. Aybara says:

After the Hamrlik manoeuver he pointed to a Vancouverite girl in the crowd yelling “lick the hammer!”

142. fbkj says:

movember

dude do you know anything about anything?

143. NightRyder says:

You can be pleased with a win and believe Gomez sucks at the same time.

I still cheer for him every single game and take no delight when he struggles.

But he must go.

144. andrewberkshire says:

The Islanders had a winning record both times the Canadiens beat them.

145. krob1000 says:

can’t say I disagree…..just pointing out for those who may not catch it because it is actually ticking me off too. there are two places you don’t want pucks turned over and that is right around either blueline…..unexpected transition is a killer and the way the game is played anymore there is very little tolreance (unless you are a vet playing for JM that is lol)….but he has to protect that puck or else get it to the net, a winger or deep….clean pocket picks a few games running are not acceptable…..and no I am not saying between the lges passes and tape to tape to the opposition is…but those circumstances  are different and I am hoping he has been giving gomer hte benefit of the doubt…..I think it’s time he sit and then get babied for a couple of games to get him going…won;t happen untile we have a loss as JM will keep things going the way they are likely but next chance his confidence has to be built….Eller….him too but we aren;t going to change JM’s philsophy with kids now…wish we could…but we won’t.

146. Propwash says:

Lawl!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

147. linp says:

I still think they should reunite Plek with AK and Gomez with Gionta. Those two are proven pairs. Why JM messes it up?!?!

148. SeriousFan09 says:

Gionta’s starting to play better with Pleks, I’d say flip AK back to Plek’s line but put Cammalleri with Gomez if he’s going to keep playing like this might as well keep the problem players on only 1 line.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

149. krob1000 says:

The offensive center player in me understands the frustration of the forwards with revolving wingers and no consisteny up front ……but the coach in me sort of understands that Martin wants the team to play a system with interchangeable parts and in his mind he should be able to plug virtually anyone anywhere and have no ill effects show defensively and hopefully sparks fly offensively…..tough to watch at times but given the organizational transformation and the establishing of an identity it kind of makes sense….but then again I know how hard it is for some of these palyers to play with new guys all the time and go from an east wester to a north south guy,etc……bottom line is team is winning though so…..

150. VancouverHab says:

Don’t you think that this is Martin’s modus operani with young players? We’ve seen him do it many times….

The argument made here in the past in favour of this is that JM is here to win, not develop players. His reason for playing veterans who aren’t producing is because they are more defensively reliable….

151. habs365 says:

Two good things about this game….carey got a shut out, he’s playing excellent….vancouver’s forwards looked like ours….big goose egg

the Rocket said so.

152. andrewberkshire says:

I hear you, I just get annoyed when people point out simple mistakes rookies make like veterans never do, and then we see them twice as much from vets on the same team. Gomez had a very good game against Ottawa I thought, started this one well too, and then sucked the rest of the way. If Gomez doesn’t start producing, it’s high time we just put Eller with Kostitsyn and see what happens for a game.

153. VancouverHab says:

That’s not smart. We are winning, and Gomez is contributing to that even without scoring.

(I’m frustrated with his production too — but (a.) he’s hardly alone and (b.) lots of players have early season slumps followed by playoff success.

Which actually makes me think of the Canucks — the reason they are, well, the Canucks, is because historically their players (cough Sedin Sisters cough) are magnificent early and pathetic in the playoffs…

154. andrewberkshire says:

From what I’ve seen so far this season, this is the first time Eller was benched when he was playing well. I think his track record is actually pretty good as far as young players go. He gets blasted for Spezza, but is Spezza not a great player now? He also developed Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat, Philips, Redden and Chara, not to mention David Booth and Nathan Horton.

That’s why I’m slightly hesitant to bash him over the young player thing, I’m all for Eller being broken in slowly, but tonight pissed me off.

155. JohnBellyful says:

Hey, now it looks like you’re the first one to post, by being the first one to reply. cuz your post is the last to appear. Confusing, I know. But I saw through your evil scheme. Foiled again, Moriarty.

HAHAHAHAHAHA (what’s the emoticon for fiendish laughter?)

P.S. If we kept this up, we could expand the post in the opposite direction, while the others go on with their blather. Could we be heading back to the start of Time/Space/Star Trek?

156. Eliisa says:

Sunshine… you have no idea. I am still riding the high from last night. I go to work in about half an hour and start gloating. Today is a good day.

157. KenD29 says:

Hopefully Johnny D is being sarcastic.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

158. TheHumanComa says:

Are you being sarcastic? I was a Halak fan over Price, but the dude is gone, so I’m learning to love the cowboy.

edit – didn’t read your disclaimer. – sorry.

159. KenD29 says:

They have been small in terms of size for years. The past couple of eyars it has been the PP that kept this team going along with the play of Halak last season. So far this year, Price has answered the bell and they have been able to score 5 on 5 and not the PP. Still beat one of the elite teams last night.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

160. Bugs says:

CODE RED!
    We have a Code Red Alert! Infidel Nuck under the wire! This is not a drill! Code Red! Enemy Nuck on the grounds! Full-Sector Search Protocol activated! All Partisans to comply with Officers of the Flannel! Code Red Emergency! Nemesis Nuck has bypassed defences! Sanitization Protocol activated! Code Red Alert! Immediate Retrieval and Removal Priority One! Code Red! This is not a drill! Alert, Alert, Alert! Jealous Nuck through the Gate! Purification Protocol activated! You have 2 minutes to reach Minimal Safe Distance before automated Nuck-Knockers commence street patrol! This is a Code Red!
    1:58, 1:57, 1:56…
    CODE RED EMERGENCY!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

161. Say Ash says:

yup, rockin’ my price jersey on robson today

That’s what I;m talking about. Great win!! Except for Gomez everybody played a pretty tight no guts no glory hockey game. Shout out to my boy Price for getting me 5 more points in the pool. Some will say that Van did not play well… I say BS! Habs didn’t let them play well. They skated and they skated in all 3 zones, there was no sitting back but a relentless pressure all over the ice. And that’s how a small non-physical team like Mtl needs to play.

On to Booins. Go Habs Go!

Heh, I  bet Eliisa is a pretty happy girl tonight :)

164. Bugs says:

Friggin Bro up to his old tricks. Got into it with a scientifician from Toranna. Writin a stupid thesis on exactly “why” Habs Suck Big Time. Couldn’t make heads or tails outta it, tell you the truth.

Where the hell he meets these people, I don’t know.

But it’s straight dope, so what can you do?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

165. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

All the BC Habs fans must be lovin’ it tonight!

166. TheChangeling says:

This team is made for fore-check only. Martin may think otherwise, but
    when such beforementioned has showed up, this team is usually in the
    game! Glad to see Jacques implementing it more this year! Also I wanna say lay off our veteran Czech defensemen, sirs Roman and Jaro. These guys did the litte plays right tonight, and Hamrlik put the icing on the Hancouver, I mean Vancouver cake. Both these guys were staples in the playoffs. No matter what we say, their contracts withstand. At least the plus/ minus on both of these guys are good. A little more credit is due….

167. Rainrocket16 says:

Man oh man, did Price look very good tonight! I was hoping like hell he was gonna nail that empty netter! It was fitting that we scored on Alberts dirty hit to Darche. NFL is trying to stop hits to the head, I think the NHL isn’t doing enough to these guys that head hunt like that, Darche could have easily split his head open with a dangerous hit like that..Pisses me off Sorry! Great win Les Boys!!

168. 23 HABS 23 says:

Can anyone tell me where “MontrealAthiest” is?  You know that Scorpion bit Toadie character.  Does he only show up to spew his garbage after Montreal losses?  Wish he could find a way to swallow his pride and give this team the credit it deserves … especially after a great win like tonight!  Great Shut-Out victory for the team & for Price!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

169. Da Hema says:

Ah, life is good. A well-earned shutout of a top team (and Price deserved it).

And the Leafs are sinking as fast as an anchor released from the USS Nimitz.

All is as it should be.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

170. Number31 says:

In his young career, Price has now shutout against both of Team Canada’s latest Olympic goaltenders in Brodeur and Luongo.

171. kempie says:

I was just reading the comments on TSN, and a common theme is that the Habs may have beaten the Nucks, but that’s only because VAN just didn’t play very well. Remind me to use that one if we lose to Boston.

172. Frank2468 says:

First a really good game tonight, Carey has really stepped up his game.  The club is off to a pretty good start.  Theres only a couple of things that worry me. 1) I really hope the team figures out the problem with the power-play it’s really a concern since just last season the power-play was good.  I really can’t believe that not having MAB on blue line is effecting the power-play LOL.

2) I really hope that Cammy, Gionta, Pleks and AK47 come out of this slump thing and start finding the back of the net soon.  It could and probably will come back to bite us in the behind if this slump goes on for to much longer, hence probably why the power-play is suffering.

Just as a side note, I don’t know if it’s been discussed on here or not I’ve been away for awhile but the new Leafs song is a real piss off.  It’s actually insulting to the rest of Canada and figures that MLSE would be this arrogant.  I have a link that is an interesting read as to whats going on in the heads of Laffs Land.  They are now trying to bring politics in to there new song and had 30 new Canadians take the oath in the Leafs change room as a venue.  If this is what they are trying to do I motion that all of us other Canadians call our Member of Parliament and complain to them about this silly travesty that MLSE is trying to do.  It’s gone beyond hockey.

173. VancouverHab says:

I know I sure as Hell am!

174. VancouverHab says:

Gomez played well defensively Timo — shutdown his opposite line, 9 of 12 faceoffs, etc. He offense was bad, but he didn’t ‘play badly’

175. Johnny_D says:

Bah! Only two shutouts?  Halak has 50% more than that…

==================

Disclaimer: It’s tough to make sarcasm appear on a screen.

176. Johnny_D says:

Plus, he has a 1.000 save percentage against Brodeur and Luongo. Granted that fat stick makes it tough to roof the puck, but still.

177. G-Man says:

Habs played an out of whack Canucks team last night and just plain out-lasted them. Price was perfect ( except for some bone-headed puck handling moments) and the whole team D concept worked.

Nice to see my man Markov get it going by doing the same thing AK was doing 10 days ago- go to the net when the puck is in the o zone.

Was is revenge for last season’s 7-1 shellacking? Nope. They are owed 5 more goals.

178. kirkiswork says:

All is well in Habsland today.

179. HabsFansince49 says:

Great! One major problem solved: Gionta – Gomez – Hamrlik.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

180. SmartDog says:

LOL

Good one!

——–
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

181. Mike D says:

Phenominal game by our boy Carey!  Loved it!  Absorbed almost every shot against him giving up almost no rebounds, and the couple rebounds he did give up, he steered them out of harm’s way.  Sooooooooo glad he got the shutout.  He really deserved it!  I got a bit nervous at the end of the game when Van was pressing but Price shut’em down there too, and I would have gone bonkers if he would have scored that emply-netter he tried.  Looked like it may have been on target too.

Nice to have a break from the trolling Price-bashers too.  Not one of them had the stones to give The Kid credit for a well-deserved win and shutout.  Especially against a top western team that they said was gonna stick it to us (and our goalie).  Really adds to their crediility….and by ‘credibility’, I sarcastically mean ‘douchiness’.

- Honestly yours

182. adamkennelly says:

lets not plan the parade just yet.  we beat a Canucks team that palyed very poorly and needed Price to be lights out to do so.  We generated very few good scoring chances and our PP looked aweful again.  I thought our team looked small and we got punked a few times by Alberts, Bieksa and Rypien….as much as I like the win and the S.O. by Price – a result like this just further delays the team addressing some of its needs – top of the list is a top 6 winger with some size and some toughness.

183. Propwash says:

It’s nice to see the doom and gloomers be proven wrong from time to time. Hey, yes, the team has a few kinks that need to be worked out, but hey…..

At least we ain’t the Leafs.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

184. kordic says:

THANK YOU LORD!!!! MY DREAM CAME TRUE!!! ROXY HERE I CUM!

On a side note, don’t we have another french guy we can replace lap with? He’s brutal!!

WE WIN, CANUCKS SUCK!!! CAN’T WAIT TO GO ON VANCOUVER RADIO AND MAKE FUN OF THEM.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

185. Bugs says:

Mighta been a gimme but that didn’t predispose us to give it.

In our best game of the season so far.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

186. dpthehabsfan says:

Disagree again. The Habs just broke the Canuck’s 6 game win streak. We beat the 3rd place Western team.

That 3-0 win against the Sens was barely out of training camp….

187. Bugs says:

Who cares if it was against the Cleveland Barons the night before Xmas; it was our best game of the season so far anyway.

188. sholi2000.com says:

Hardly, the Sens came in tired from a back to back.  That Sens game was a gimmy.

Last night was a good game, but I’m still waiting for our best game.

They Call Me Shane

189. linp says:

Someone watching the poker final. Our guy has a sea of HABS fans behind him…

190. fbkj says:

repeat

spoiler

he wins

191. db says:

Couldn’t we just send Gomez a message by benching him in favour of the guy we just waived and 29 other teams ignored?

Im in Victoria and work evenings so I miss almost every game.. it was nice to at least be able to listen to the game on an emotionless Canucks radio.

- Insert witty, historical fact here.

192. since1988 says:

I missed the game thanks to night class but using the simple logic of the Canucks being preseason favourites as the Canadian team with the best chance to win the cup i am going to assume by beating them we are now the favourites out of Canadian teams to win the cup…despite needing some better efforts from a few people that is enough to make me happy…Go Habs Go!

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

193. habs001 says:

good game but lets see how we play them in their home rink

194. observer says:

Habs like other teams in pro sports sure play better when they are trying to win – if you ain’t giving 100% you are not trying children.

195. Storm Man says:

Hey Tony, Great game tonight Habs win 2-0 guess the kool-aid is on you tonight.

196. habs365 says:

Put them together JM

( AK46,  Pleks,  Halpern )      ( Cammy,  Gomez,  Gionta )    ( Pouliot,  Eller,  Darche )

( Moen,  Lapierre,  Pyatt )

The Rocket say’s this could be the making of a real good team….if you don’t try it you maybe sorry come April 2011.

197. Bugs says:

Your 1st and 3rd lines are ridiculous.

No sale.

198. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

You want to have two of your best face-off centers on the same line? And break up the most consistent line thus far? i.e. PhD line.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

199. dpthehabsfan says:

That was the Hab’s best game of the year so far. They knew they were up against a premiere team, and pulled off a defensive upset. Good to see Pleks is feeling better – we need him in full form.

Also good to see that Price is starting to improve his game. He’s actually been improving almost every game since the start of the season.

Price’s stance is more assured – which helps the glove – he’s not dropping as soon as there is a threat – and he’s getting up faster, which makes him faster laterally. Don’t know if he’s just maturing, or if he’s better coached, but it looks like he’s starting to progress.

200. dpthehabsfan says:

And while I could have lynched Lapierre for missing that empty net with 2:00 left, I thought that the new line with Max, Gomez and AK played well – Gomez could learn something from Laps – use your speed and skate in straight lines.

201. Bugs says:

Disagree. The 3-0 game against Ottawa was our best game of the year so far.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

I know… what happend to the customary 25 game gelling period?

203. samTHEman says:

Martin’s line shuffling experiments are boiling my blood. Can’t take it anymore. Leave the lines alone. It takes time to get comfortable and find your linemates on the ice. Bring back the 1st line the way it was FFS. Then put Pouliot with G-G or leave him on the PhD as a 3rd line and put Eller on the wing with G-G on the 2nd, or anyone else, as long as you leave the 1st line untouched. Why break something to fix something it makes no damn sense!

Amazed by the lack of patience, logic and long-term sight the Canadiens management are blessed with.

204. joeybarrie says:

So I think the PhD line is doing GREAT. Having a potent 3rd line is important. I think we put back AK, Cammi, Pleks….. And Have Gio and Gomez paired up with Moen for the time being. What I would like to see is the Habs make a move for Guerin. He can fit in nicely in that line, and do no worse than anyone else. A good Vet for those two IMO would get them going. I see the two of them thrive on playing with experience. I think that would make 3 pretty good lines. Teams with 3 pretty good SCORING lines do VERY VERY well.

I do see why JM started to juggle. 5 Games and our 3rd line is the only one scoring.

I think tonight will be the night our boys come out of the slump. These guys with Character have done nothing but prove to us that they want to win, and do so against the big teams in the big games.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

205. daveho29 says:

Won about $160, six Kokanee, and a pint tonight off the locals.

Solid game from the habs all around, but would rather see end to end
    hockey and a high scoring game than what I am seeing. I have a few Habs
    in my hockey pools , so would love to see more goals.

So when is Martin going to stop making this team look like the New Jersey devils of the 90’s and turn the skill players loose? Sure I live 65km from Vancouver in Canuck land and won a bunch of money and beers off my friends., but I would have rather watched the grass grow or paint dry

206. MTLForever says:

Enjoyed that win! Nicely done Carey Price, making big saves.

207. WindsorHab-10 says:

Great win & finally a pp goal. Not 2 happy with 20 shots allowed in 3rd but hey what do I know. We have a defensive minded coach that still SUCKS, win, lose or draw.

208. JohnnyBEast says:

Huge win tonight, too bad Price didnt get the EN, wouldve topped off a great night for him if the last couple saves wasnt enough. I wonder if Mr. Observer caught that game

209. Psycho29 says:

Sadlly…Mr.Observer won’t be joining us tonight, he entered rehab around 9:52 Montreal time…

210. dre1744 says:

An empty netter by price would of been awesome.  And it would tie him with GOmez in goals  and put him only 1 point behind the 8 million dollar man.

211. Malreg says:

He was busy watching his Leafs lose their 9th game in a row.

212. SeriousFan09 says:

Carey Carey Carey!!!

Why I always believed in him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

213. Psycho29 says:

PRICE IS THE MAN!

Hey, we just beat Canada’s team! No not the Laffs….the other Canada’s team…

Solid performance, the guys were more involved in the play, getting a stick in there to break up the Canuck’s attack. Even Spacek, Hamrlik and Gomez looked a bit better…

Hey Elissa! Enjoy your day at work tomorrow and that case of beer!!!

214. Eliisa says:

Thanks :) I most definitely will… the beer is just an after thought I am all about the bragging rights! :)

Victory tastes so sweet.

215. HABSsince92 says:

I believe that goal by Hamrlik was something called a power play goal…..they are very rare around here. All kidding aside a nice win by the Habs and Carey played really good as well. Triple low 5 for win!

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

216. slapshot777 says:

You won’t see the usual suspects of trolls here tonight. Great win guys a well derseved win and a well deserved shut out by Price.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

217. adam76 says:

Price played well tonight – huge win.

218. Aybara says:

Looks like he finally stole one eh buddy?

219. JohnBellyful says:

Nuthin’ to say. Just wanted to be the first one to post to this story. Like being the first one on the ice that’s just been made.

220. Say Ash says:

that was better than most posts here

221. Muckbringer says:

speechless….

oh friggn lay!!!!

222. shiram says:

Well i cant wait to watch the game tonight, not only is work kinda boring, but it will also be interesting to see our Habs against what is supposed to be Canada’s hockey team.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

223. slapshot777 says:

Lol, PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

224. bwoar says:

Hamhuis back tonight for the Canucks.  Even so, their D is pretty average and we can use speed against them.

225. C3P1 says:

when healthy, they have the best D in the league…except maybe chicago.. hamhuis, bieksa, ehrhoff, edler, ballard…

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

226. rocketsglare says:

Tonight could get ugly.

227. Mattyleg says:

I agree!

Wouldn’t want to be the Canucks…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

228. Seps says:

LOL, you talk about it like it’s a point race between the two, I love it

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

229. dre1744 says:

Well isn’t it a point race.  Maybe if Price gets more points then Gomez  he can get a raise too 8 million a year too

230. beau31 says:

Well tonight was a great win for the boys. Halak Who? Carey Price all the way………Can’t wait for thursday now, bring on the bruins…GO HABS GO

231. Sportfan says:

SO if Boyd isnt picked up hee’s sent down to the minors right ?

Whats the rumor who are we getting now lol ?

ALso i think habs will win tonight but when were out west were doomed lol

232. Mattyleg says:

The word was that he would stay with the club if he didn’t get picked up.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

233. samTHEman says:

Price may have 2 shutouts but Halak has 3. Damn Gauthier…

(sarcasm)

234. Aybara says:

Don’t forget JM

235. Xtrahabsfan says:

Dan Ellis with the S.O. tonight aswell…..

236. Mattyleg says:

SO!!!
    How about that Robert Luongo, eh?

(Jeeezus it drives me nuts when they call him Bobbylou. Gah!!)

I have him in my pool and I thought “three dollar winner’s statue, here I come!”

Apart from his shutout, he’s been sucking harder than a fat kid on a gobstopper.

Do you think he’ll manage to raise his game, Brodeur-esque, for the hometown fans?

Do you think he cares as much about his Montreal roots as some of the French-Canadian Quebecers?

Is Ryan Kessler going to burn my ass again??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

237. fbkj says:

meh, hes a montrealer, but not a franco, so the genes arent there :)

238. Matthew says:

Here hear! Go Habs Go!

239. rocketsglare says:

240. Hobie Hansen says:

I think the best thing to do at this point would be to place Pouliot back on the 2nd line with Gomez and Gionta. He seems to be very inspired at the moment and the Habs are better off juggling their bottom six and I think they’ve got decent enough players to throw a solid checking line out their.

Eller is in a bit of a tough spot because it is kinda weird having him play on the third or forth line so he may be better suited playing fulltime in Hamilton. As soon as someone gets injured, bring him up and throw him on a scoring line. Maybe he’ll be completely ready to be a top six forward by next season and if he isn’t, hopefully we’ve acquired someone at the deadline or over the summer to take that spot, unless Pouliot really proves himself.

241. Habsrule1 says:

I agree about Pouliot. I think he should have been there from day 1…and when I say that, I don’t mean day 1 until day 3. i mean put him with G&G and leave him there for 10 games. After that, if nothing is happening, do whatever you see fit. I just do not get the mentality of putting someone on a line for 3-4 games, and if it doesn’t work (although we were still winning), they switch him. I’m not reinventing the wheel by saying players need a few games to create chemistry.

Eller should be on the first line in Hamilton, playing 20+ minutes a game, in my opinion.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

242. adam76 says:

First time for everything.

243. Aybara says:

Smile and nod, Smile and nod.

244. JSP1990 says:

Call up Desharnais and put Eller down in Hamilton. David deserves a chance.

245. mike g says:

Great article on money in the NHL…

Some things will just never make sense.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

246. SeriousFan09 says:

A very insightful piece, I can’t believe it’s from a THN writer.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

247. andrewberkshire says:

The Flyers have way better defense than Vancouver. And it’s not even close.

248. C3P1 says:

I could see that as well…im not entirely sold on coburn or carle yet.  you have a good point though, pronger is unstoppable and timmonen is pretty solid overall

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

249. mike g says:

I know…

I’ve been a subscriber for 3 years, but I’ve had enough and won’t be renewing anymore.

They’re stuff stinks. Various free websites offer much greater articles.

And I can choose which teams I pay to read about…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

250. Seps says:

Cool story.  I think most people on this site cheer for the Habs so they were busy watching Price get a shutout.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.