Game 14: Kovalev’s pair buries Canadiens

Canadiens goalie Carey Price keep a close eye on a bouncing puck.
Shaun Best, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game BlogQuick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Mathieu Darche

• At a Glance: The Canadiens returned home from their 3-2
Friday night victory over the Sabres in Buffalo,
hoping to win their ninth game in 14 matches. But then, they hadn’t counted on
former Hab Alex Kovalev bringing his A game to the Bell Centre. Kovalev scored
twice, bringing him to within three points of the 1,000 mark, to carry the
Ottawa Senators to a 3-2 win over Montreal.
Kovalev, voted the game’s first star, got the visitors on the scoreboard first with a shot that glanced in
off him at 17:50 of the first period, eluding the stop of the 28-save Carey
Price in the Habs net. Then Zack Smith, called up from Binghamton earlier in the day, made it 2-0 at
12:15 of the second. The Senators’ checking, and the Canadiens inability to
mount much in the way of offence, didn’t augur well for the home team. But
Jaroslav Spacek finally beat Brian Elliott with a slapper from the blue line at
18:39, his first goal of the season a shot tipped in by an Ottawa defender. Kovalev made it 3-1 at 6:42
of the third with Spacek serving a minor for interference before Canadiens captain Brian
Gionta bagged his long-awaited second of the year at 15:53 to close out the

• Key Moments: Bad, untimely penalties taken by the undisciplined Canadiens killed any momentum they night have generated. And Senators goalie Elliott was solid
throughout, making 21 saves to improve Ottawa’s
record to 7-6-1.

• What It Means: The Canadiens are now 8-5-1, their home
record at 3-3-1. Montreal has lost three of its last four games and is struggling offensively, having scored just five goals in those four.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are home Tuesday to the
Vancouver Canucks, head to Boston for a Thursday date against Tim Thomas’s
Boston Bruins, then finish up their week next Saturday at the Bell Centre
against the Carolina Hurricanes.

1. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I called the Plekanec, Eller, and Cammalleri (PEC) Line and Gomez, Gionta, and Kostitsin (GGK) Line last week – thanks for passing the memo onto Coach Martin for me.  We’ll probably see the same lines tonight, but I think another adjustment needs to be made – please pass this to JM for me again:

Plekanec, Cammalleri, Kostitsin (this line is too exciting to break up)

Halpern, Pouliot, Gionta (Halpern has earned his keep and this combo has the potential to light it up!)

Gomez, Eller, Lapiere (Putting Eller with Gomez will be good for the kid)

Boyd, Moen, Darch (Alternate Pyatt)

2. homerbowen says:

I would like to see O’Byrne in the line up. Spacek has looked out of place so far this year. Time to bring up the youth as he (O’Byrne) is just rotting on the bench. I doubt they will send Eller down to the Dogs but man that guy needs ice time and he’s not getting it nor deserving it with the big club. Geez, what gives with Gomez….do we have to wait for the playoffs?

For those attending the game and festivities tonight….enjoy…I wish I was there but I will be at the ACC in my Habs jersey cheering on the Sabres. Ahh, nothing like the smell of Champagne and sushi at a hockey game…..what a bunch of losers in Laff town.

3. NightRyder says:

While I’m normally a fan of pessism, borne from a childhood spent dwelling way too much on the eight losses and 12 ties instead of the expected 60 wins, I remain amazed that so much negatitivy exists in today’s game, when parity rules and your playoff seed is no longer as important as simply getting to the dance.

Sure it’s easy to point out that Scott Gomez really isn’t that good, and that his giant contract is a whopping albatross as we move forward. Sure, it’s easy to point out that he’s got three goals in his last 47 games (the same amount that Hall of Fame talent Raffi Torres got in one game recently).

But the team is 8-4-1 without much of a contribution from Mr. Gomez. He cannot be any worse and his track record suggests he’ll eventually pick it up and get his 12-15  goals. So hang in there folks, give my man some time.

4. dh says:

So how were the new D pairings?  <g>

I guess if they’re the same tonight, they must have worked.  At first I wasn’t happy to see Gill and Gorges split up since they have been great (well except for the Columbus game but then no one was great that night) but then, thinking about it, Subban and Gill could be interesting and we already know that Gorges and Markov can be good.

For the top 6, I would have kept the Pleks line together.  For the G & G line I think that Gionta is slumping for whatever reason.  I can’t see that it’s all Gomez.  A consistent third on the line would probably help.  I thought Pouliot, but given the 3rd line production last night, I hope JM keeps them together.  Imagine if Gionta wakes up, maybe with Eller as a winger and we have 3 scoring lines.

5. novahab says:

Its time to sit Spacek and Hammer or at least Spacek I think after last seasons long run they may have hit the end of their upside. Spacek has cost us in the last three games he doesn’t seem able to stay up with the play or get back. Now maybe he is hurting but Picard played well when he was in the line up and he deserves to play again. They can’t just keep sitting O’Byrn he needs to plays and having two younger d-man as your 5-6 would work.

6. mike g says:

Ah damn..

You’re gonna be there, great…. lol.

Nice, mee too.

You know who else is going?

7. Exit716 says:

Who was the GM that traded away Iginla instead of the legendary Todd Harvey?

8. punkster says:

Bring it on baby 😉

Looking forward to meeting you Mike.

9. filincal says:

Cap world…deal with it.

10. Bugs says:

2nd in the LEAGUE behing L.A. and Washerburg, dog.

Can I get an amen?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

11. filincal says:

or Atlanta smarter than Chicago for getting Byfuglien?

12. mike g says:

So who’s going to Hurley’s tonight?

Would like to know if I can come and argue with some of you there….

13. newbrunswick troy says:

I did not get to see the game last night!!!!

How did Gomez, Gio, A.K   do together….???? i know they had no points but was there chemistry  or another bust?????

14. mike g says:

Out of his 3 or 4 games with MTL last year, he looked good in one of them; against PIT.

And if I recall well, that’s the game where MA Fleury stank it up, again, letting Darche score on a 1 on 1 slap shot from just inside the blueline…

The other games he played, he looked intimidated. And I can’t blame him, he’s a 4 foot tall centerman. And for a centerman to have any impact during a game, he’s gotta stay in the middle of traffic and survive.

Not sure he has the size, or will to do that in the NHL.

If he was a winger, he would have gotten his chance. It took Pleks 5 years to become who he is due to his size.

And Tomas Plekanecks don’t grow on trees.

15. JoeC says:

The only way this guys is gonna get better is if A he gets traded, or B, he actually gets to play. Honestly, Gomez and Gionta dont look NHL ready, nether does Spacek or Hammer.  Eller is built for the NHL, brings us SOMETHING we LACK , SIZE.

Im sick of JM benching Eller, not playing Obyrne or Picard, but letting Spacek and Hammer screw up EVERY GAME, Gill being slower then molasis, and Gomez just stinking up the place.  How bout we let ur kids play a bit?JM DO YOU HEAR ME???

16. Propwash says:

Notice how G&G looks waaay more involved in the game than what we’re seeing this year?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

17. CanadienBoy says:

Gionta resume way back to pewee is way above Deharnais

18. habs4ever2894 says:

We have to see how he plays against NHL competition first before we judge him. He played 3 or 4 NHL games last year and did not look out of place at all. If not for healthy bodies being put back in to the lineup he probably would have had a longer stay with the big club.  I just want to at least try to get him in the lineup before he rips up the AHL again all season , doesn’t get a shot with the habs and leaves town only to become a player we could have used.

19. mike g says:

Thanks alot, man…

20. PrimeTime says:

8-4-1 and 1st in the division. Stats don’t lie.

21. mike g says:

Was Dallas the smarter hockey city because they traded a not-NHL READY Jarome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk?

Sure Dallas won the Cup with Joe, but Jarome’s been scoring 40+ per year for 10 years, on a very defensive-minded team.

So, even though Jarome wasn’t NHL READY, he became that with time.

So please don’t bash someone like Eller who hasn’t had enough time to become something.

22. mike g says:

Please no….

Desharnais is a special type of player. The kind that will dominate the AHL, and will look out of place in the NHL.

The few chances he’s had in MTL in the preseason, he looked good because the competition was similar to AHL play.

But in the everyday grind of an NHL season, he hasn’t looked like he’s able to take it.

Fringe NHL player, dominant AHLer..

That’s how I see it…

23. habs4ever2894 says:

Yes we did trade Halak for a player that’s not NHL ready at the moment .Yes ,the trade was not a fantastic one and we did lose the deal for now…. Listen , you have to come to terms with the fact that what is done is done , were not getting back Halak, Were not turning back time and maybe getting better value in return for Halak either. Price is and will be an elite goalie in this league and it doesn’t take a genius to see it. The point is stop crying about it because there is no point . Our team is 8-4-1 whch is pretty good , just enjoy it.

24. VancouverHab says:

Oh bless you! That was so obviously the situation that, when I started to read a bunch of posts here blaming Gomez for ‘stopping on a breakaway & passing,’ I got dishearted to post against the tide of (I won’t say ‘idiocy’) ….negativity, say.

Gionta just screwed up there, because he’s in a scoring funk. Gomez is trying everything possible to get Gionta scoring, even to the point of taking flak for him.

I’ve said before, Cammi, AK, & Gionta aren’t scoring, yet the Montreal media & on H-I/O lose their rationality and use Gomez as a whipping boy. (Your point about the contract is a good one: more irrationality, because his contract has nothing to do with the team situation–and I havn’t seen an argument from anyone with ANY economic credibility to say that it is.)

We’re witnessing a limited-group psychopathology–and credit to you, MG, for having the independence of mind to not be distorted by it.

25. Propwash says:

Carey played fantastic since the start of the season, deal with it.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

26. Propwash says:

Clearly, I don’t remember that game then…

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

27. Xtrahabsfan says:

That being said you just admitted that we just traded the best tender in the WORLD for a prospect who isn’t N.H.L. READY….That being said …it make’s St.Louis a smarter Hockey city than Montreal and fools of us all ! Well not me but you all can gnaw on it for a while! Now for some but Carey’s our man nonsense which proves we can’t read either….

28. Mr. Biter says:

Moving MC back to the point gives us someone who can shoot from the point but how many goals did MC score from the faceoff circle from cross ice passes during the PP last year? Lots. When MAB gets well and were are still 3 for 99 (and counting) on the PP we have to sign him or someone who can “one time” from the point. Better a “one trick pony” than the last place PP in the league. From 1st. to last and the only player missing is MAB. Stats don’t lie.

29. lavie says:

He looks like Gionta of 5 years ago – fast and productive.

30. habs4ever2894 says:

Nope, it was last season when he ,trotter and White were called up for an afternoon game against Pitt at the bell centre we won 5-3.

31. Exit716 says:

Is Pat Hickey’s Honda part of the $25 all-you-can-carry deal?

32. Bob Dobbs says:

2) By “played well” do you mean on the ice for both Buffalo goals?

33. lavie says:

Time to divorce G-G pair, seriously.

34. Propwash says:

Please don’t forget that it was a preseason game. I don’t think Desharnais would do well in the NHL.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

35. notbigbird says:

Exactly, right or wrong, he made a split second decision. Sometimes, we just have to accept it and move on.

36. notbigbird says:

“Let the young players keep making their mistakes, that’s how they learn.”

We talked a bit on this topic on another thread. Do you really see it as “keep making mistakes,” or is it more like “one and done”? Just asking.

37. habs4ever2894 says:

Eller does not look NHL ready and while thats disappointing you can clearly see the potential in him being a key player for the habs down the road , That being said we should send him to hamilton and let him get his confidence back . The next thing we should do and i gotta say it’s the right thing to do is bring up Desharnais. The guy lit up the AHL last year and he is on pace to do it again , we need players who can produce offense and this guy can. I still remember that game against Pitt last season where Desharnais and his line-mates were dominant. In his stint with the big club he created a few very good chances every game! He is small and we may not need another small player and yes he is a centre and we have a surplus of those, but i think we have to put him somewhere in the lineup.

38. notbigbird says:

I was also thinking that I saw some nice moves which reminded me of Pleks. Right or wrong, I think this is just the way that Montreal generally develops players. Subban is an exception as he is getting lots of time and responsibility, but he did spend a year apprenticing down there, so he’s not a complete exception. Some players do well when handled like this, and others don’t — quite a few as a matter of fact.

39. JF says:

Good post.  I said something similar on the ALN thread about JM’s handling of both Pouliot and Eller.  I’m tired of this line that’s constantly trotted out that JM ruins young players. As far as I can see, the evidence for it is slim to non-existent.  And I don’t see how it benefits a young player to keep being put back into situations where he makes mistakes; yet that’s what people seem to be demanding. Let the young players keep making their mistakes, that’s how they learn.  Never mind if they make us lose games we could otherwise win, never mind if their confidence and morale slump because they know they’re costing us points.  I think JM is being careful with both Eller and Pouliot, not putting too much pressure on them and trying to use them in situations where they can mostly be successful.  I think they will gain more confidence from this than from repeatedly being put in situations where they’re likely to make costly mistakes.

Besides, the Canadiens are not a development team; they’re in the business of winning hockey games.  Players are supposed to be developed at the lower levels.  When they arrive in Montreal, they should be more-or-less NHL ready, although most still need easing into the game.  I think that’s what JM is trying to do; I also think he’s doing it well.

40. Bill J says:

Because then the Habs are paying 13$Million to 3rd liners, who DO have talent to be 2nd liners.

Not to mention the mind game you play with “these players”.

The team will be great IF Pouliot can merge with G&G again, AK46 is doing his part, I was simply proposing the above line combo to get G&G rolling again.  Then move Camm back to Pleks & AK46, & Pouliot to G&G.

Halpern & Darche have been awesome, but Pouliot can easily be replaced by Boyd for a great 3rd line.

41. Bill J says:

Another “more positive” spin on it.

The team is winning despite G&G’s failures.

So WHEN (and let’s be fair and at least recognize they will get back on track) they get back on track, the team will only be better for it.

Markov has been invisible since his return as well, just saying.  Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get things clicking.  If the team is winning despite this, I am not too concerned.

42. habs365 says:

Will johnny…I’ll tell ya the way i look at it…it’s pretty bad when a player is making $8,000,000 a year and his winger is making  $5,000,000 a year and they’re looking for a player to come along and get them scoring…I would be telling the coach don’t mention things like that in your interviews…just say we’re in a slump right now and we’ll get ourselves out of it…guess you don’t feel shame when you’re getting the big dollars…I don’t know how molson’s can cut a check for them…oh well they’re only letting their team down…

43. Bugs says:

Yeah, baby!

Not gonna happen.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

44. fbkj says:

ummmm anybody hear whats going on in philly today

yeah i dont see any problems with this genius idea… then again riots can be fun

45. Bugs says:

I’m generally not partial to François Gagnon. I think he’s a blowhard, which is forgiveable, and a hack, which isn’t. That’s just my opinion, mind, and not the Truth of All Things.

However, I must agree with him on one point, and that’s that Eller should AT LEAST have as many points as Halak has shutouts. He’s 1-3 behind at the moment.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

46. krob1000 says:

It led to a goal…and gomez isn’t alone with the fault, Gio should have shot it, Ak fumbled in the corner, spacek tried to be pele at the blueline and price was swan diving….but it is no diff thenny other  turnover at the other blueline, or a bad penalty that leads to a goal agaisnt…ultimately what started it was gomez not driving the net.  I am a self confessed gomez contract basher and gainey in that deal basher but I have repeatedly said I like what i see of gomez and Ak…i think that will work…but that play…brutal…just brutal

47. krob1000 says:

In his first shift he made a brutal turnover inside the offensive blueline, led to a couple sabre scoring chances mand a long ustained attack agaisnt….given his age, the chance to play with Cammi,etc it probably was about the worst possible case scenario for his confidence…however, with Pleks back I think he can excel on that line.  He had another weak play where he should have dumped it in, also had a blown cov’g and that was pretty well all she wrote for him.  He never stopped playing hard though and that is very important to note….the desire s there, the talent is there…it iwll work out.  If Pleks is back and he goes on the wing, does what he did against Columbus in the late stages he’ll be fine.  Eller is the real deal and I like his game….this is unfortunately what JM does…he has a zero tolerance policy for kids making mistakes….I don’t agree with it but it is what it is.

48. mike g says:

Anyone else find Lapierre useless last night?….

He was invisible. And has been for a few weeks.

Why does this kid only play well in MTL?

49. mike g says:

Well, maybe he didn’t realize how much time he had….

And can you blame Gomez for that? The game, and that play in particular, are played at a very high speed. If he see’s a replay, maybe he regrets doing that play and see’s that he did have time….

But, in the end he made a good play. He figured going on a partial breakaway wasn’t the smart move. So he chose option B, and he nailed it. Gionta didn’t do the finishing, and you can’t slam Gomez for that.

In the end, I’m happy that he at least found a way to make a better play for that situation, in his eyes.

Isn’t that enough, why do we need to bash Gomez for that? His bad contract?

50. mike g says:

You could have said that about Pouliot last year, and this year too…

Benny’s been benched often, some games playing less than 8 minutes. And then, you have games like last night where he’s gonna be your best forward, and show flashes of develloping.

That’s how JM coaches, he goes with who’s hot. Like it or not, but it’s been winning us more games than any other coach in the past 15 years.

Players like Benny and Lars will not devellop in 1 game. They won’t in 1 or 2 years either. These are humans who will probably take 3 years to reach their full stride, something JM knows having been around for years.

So, there’s no need to play Eller 20 minutes last night. That one game wasn’t gonna make or break his career. And it wasn’t gonna justify the Halak trade. If that’s why people are pissed at JM, it’s wrong. He shouldn’t have to play Eller all night long just so that Halak fans can say we got something for him.

Eller’s gonna have a nice career. Let him grow, please. The kid’s 20 years old. Remember how immature we all were at 20?

JM’s using him in situations that favor his development and in situations where he knows Eller feels comfortable.

Time please, time.

51. zak says:

Bench Nomez and bring up Desharnais.

52. Propwash says:

Kinda hard to tell if he says net or nyet…..

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

53. hab_skill says:

Oh and the third line was sweet, obviously.

54. hab_skill says:

Some of my observations from last night:

1) Price was incredible and has been consistent all season

2) The Gomez line played well and had several chances to score, just couldn’t put the puck in the net

3) Gomez ad AK make a great team with G’s passing and AK’s one-timer

4) Cammy had a great game. Had 5 or 6 quality scoring chances but couldn’t put it in either. I like him on the point on the PP

5) D played well and had very few turnovers.

6) We need to take less penalties even though our PK is great.

55. Bugs says:

I go to net. I get rebound. I score goal for Montrreal.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

56. krob1000 says:

It was not a smart play, he is a great skarter, especially off the hop and would have had a breakaway and most likely could have gotten a good shot off…at the very least he drives the net, stil takes that defender with him and still has the option of Gio trailing…..and they are closer at the same time…..there is no way around it….that play was a lack of self confidence….scott gomez may actually be the only player in the game that makes that play…..there is being a passer and being a passer upper…..and he passed us a great chance.  Maybe he didn;t realize how much time he had? no matter how you slice it if he saw the replay I am sure he would say he should have driven the net….and he would not think it was a smart play.  We hear over and over, get pucks to the net, get pucks to the net….well that was a partial friggin breakaway and maybe a full one give his speed…it was the furthest thing from a smart play…I still like what I see from him and AK though….Gomez seems to have chemistry with him

57. marshx says:

Love that 3rd line!

Cammy gonna get 1 or 2 tonight!

58. mike g says:

59. JoeC says:

He played 8 mins last night, the night he was promoted to first or second line centre, whatever however you wanna number these lines.  8 mins is the lowest on the team.  JM is basically destroying confidence in this kid.  Imagine at work, getting a raise, then them cutting your hours in half? how would  you feel.

Honestly, the kids in this organization as a whle have to go to Molson and tell them how bad our player development is, Gauthier and JM BOTH NEED TO GO.

60. mike g says:

I know what you’re saying…

But Gomez is a 10 year veteran. He’s been in those situations before. He knows that the odds are he won’t get a great shot on net, and he can create a better scoring chance by doing what he did last night.

If you ask me, he read that play perfectly. Gionta’s the one who got too greedy and didn’t take the shot that was given to him when he was all alone in the slot. He wanted to get closer to the net, and in the end got nothing. BUF actually came back to score on that same shift.

So, I can’t smash Gomez for that play. I’m not his biggest fan, but that play was a very smart one.

61. Say Ash says:

One month ago, if somebody had told you that Brother Andrei would be put on a line to try to get the other guys going, what would you have said?

62. samTHEman says:

100% Agreed. I love his effort and positive attitude despite not getting on the scoresheet all but once.

You hear people say that the NHL is for performing, for winning. It’s not made to develop. You develop in the AHL. I think that’s so wrong. Pleks is a perfect example of a player who evolved and matured at the NHL level. Why? Because he got 3 full seasons in Hamilton. He dominated at that level and now he’s dominating up with the big club. That’s the way it goes.

I’m not worried for Eller. He’s got a great head on his shoulders.

63. samTHEman says:

You’re right. I thought about that too Mike. The thing is I still think rushing to the net is the right play. Don’t forget Gomez is one of the fastest skaters on our team. I was so damn pissed when that happened. It’s more Gio’s fault than Gomez i’ll give you that. He should of shot right away and AK should of crashed the net.

Cmon…keep things simple. Stop playing around the perimeter and attack the net. Good things happen when you shoot. It can deflect on a skate, a teammates stick, an opponent’s stick, the goalie’s chest, the goalie’s pads. CRASH the net and look for the rebound! Get in the goalie’s way. Bother him. Although be careful with Brodeur as he tends to dive…god I hate him with such a HUGE PASSION. I can’t explain it in words.

64. Johnny_D says:

Why not:

Cammalleri – Plekanec – AK

Pouliot – Halpern – Darche

Plant G&G in 3rd spot until they show the same type of hunger for the puck as the line that scored all 3 goals last night does…

65. habsguy says:

I think he’s going to be a star in the league,  I was at the jackets game and when JM moved him up,  he really responded!!!

66. Bill J says:

With Pouliot hitting his stride.  I kinda would like to see these two lines as the top two in the near future – just to see how well it would work.

Cammalleri – Gomez – Gionta

Pouliot – Plekanec – AK46

67. mike g says:

I got into an argument with my buddy regarding the Gomez play last night.

He ended up agreeing with me in the end. So see if you can too:

Why are we blaming Gomez for that play. If you ask me it was a very, very smart play. When he got the puck, he had a very small chance of going on a full breakaway or taking it to the net without being obstructed by the oncoming defenseman. It looked like a perfect breakaway, but it wasn’t. So, he saw Gio coming and perfectly attracted the d-man to him, thus making Gio perfectly open for the pass in the slot. When Gio got the pass, he was on a mini 2 on 1, and actually had an excellent shot from the slot. Problem is, he didn’t take it.

So, it’s Gionta’s fault. Not Gomez, but Gionta’s fault.

Gomez could have taken the puck and shot it once the d-man got to him. It would have been a so-so scoring chance, probably wasted if he misses the net. So, he played the odds and figured it would be best to give it to Gio who would have more time to shoot and a better angle. That’s a very smart and unselfish play.

So why is Gomez getting blamed for Gionta not taking a shot? Gio’s the one who made the poor decision not to shoot when he had a clear lane in the slot.

Are we gonna blame Gomez for everything just because of his contract? If Gionta misses chances like that every game, due to his own poor judgement, are we still gonna blame Gomez because of his contract?

I’m sorry, but IMO Gomez did the right play. He quickly looked at the situation he was in, and figured a better scoring chance would occur if he gave it to Gio, who was rushing into the zone with speed.

Gomez should not be blamed for a smart play.

68. habs365 says:

I think JM should put the 1st line back together…after last night I think we have found the right two players to play along side pouliot…now we have two scoring lines…the second line throw moen with them and let them sort it out themselves… if they wanna look like fools all year so it be…the fourth line put the kids together  Eller Lapierre  Pyatt/Boyd and let them have fun and they just may surprise by playoff time…at least the whole team will get use to playing together and what ever becomes of it…it will be the best Jm can do…this moving players around every game they will never gel…JM has to realize there’s not many options on this team…

Carey you’re the best…after last night they’re should be no more doubters in montreal…the third line was great…along with you carey…you guys won the game….

69. mike g says:

I’d like you all to take a very good look at Eller tonight….

Watch the way he plays. His work ethic, his speed, and his tenacity. The results aren’t there, they’re actually poor. No goals, nothing. But, I’d like to swing back time a little, and remind you all of one player who reminds me alot of Eller; Tomas Pleks.

Remember when he first came into the league?

He played the same game. Pleks was actually lucky to be older when he stepped into MTL, and was more used to the North American style of hockey.

But, when I watch Eller struggling, it remeinds me of when Pleks 1st broke into the league. When they both can’t find the back of the net, they’re still giving 100%. There’s no option to give 90% and use excuses, it’s 100 or nothing. You’ll see them both skating hard all the time, and trying to make a difference.

Remember when Lats, Dags, Chips, and all the other young players used to struggle? They’d all take shifts off, they’d pout, and they wouldn’t give that extra effort to get out of the slump or doghouse.

Well, I’m encouraged to see that Eller is more like Pleks. He won’t have the best season this year, and he will probably still not score more that 40 pts next year. But I’ll tell you one thing; Once he gets the wheels rolling, he will be a treat to watch.

The same way we enjoy Pleks, I can see the same for Lars.

70. Johnny_D says:

Oh no!! Price didn’t get a shut-out last night. Why, oh why did we not trade him when we had the chance.

71. samTHEman says:

Gomez was awful. Check out the highlights. He was on a breakaway on one point, with the lane wide open towards Lalime at the Sabres blue line. I guess he felt the D-man was catching up, or his lack of confidence, or his fat contract? lol joke, anyways…. he made no effort to even try. Instead, he turns to the left, controls the puck, waits for Gio then dishes it to him, who then holds on the puck way too long instead of shooting,  then gives it to AK out of hesitation who wasn’t expecting the puck, who in turn loses it and the Sabres get a 3 on 1 and score.

72. dh says:

Was at the Hamilton game last nice.  Great game.  More exciting than the score indicates.  Last two goals for the Bulldogs were empty netters.  Ryan White should play for the Habs.  Guy works hard every shift.

Didn’t see the habs game except for the highlights but it looks like the mixed lineup didn’t work well for the top two lines.  How were the new D pairings?

73. samTHEman says:

My morning notes:

1. Hamilton defeated the Sens at the Bell centre 5-2 last night. Perhaps a preview of tonight? =)

2. How about all the question marks surrounding AK, Pouliot and even Halpern’s signing. The 3 of them are among the top 4 scorers leading the team with Pleky. Anything can happen in hockey.That’s right, ANYTHING. Gomez can score goals! Although I’m a bit weary on that one.

3. If Pleky is playing tonight, I’d like to see our 1st line back. Better have 2 lines working (APC and PHD). Put Eller on the wing with Gomez & Gio (sigh…what a hopeless case Gomez is) and interchange Andrei and Eller through those lines.

4. Are you all ready to own the SENS TONIGHT??????????