Game 13: Higgy’s hat, Price’s shutout lift Habs

Christopher Higgins, he with the brightest grin, celebrates the second of his three goals, the first hat trick of his career, with Sergei Kostitsyn (left) and Ryan O’Byrne.
Shaun Best, Reuters

Rosters | Tale of the Tape | Play-by-Play | Faceoffs
Game Summary | Event Summary | Game Story | Boone |

Christopher Higgins figures there couldn’t have been a better time for his first National Hockey League hat trick.

“We probably played our worst game the other night and tonight we played our most complete game,” Higgins said Tuesday night after his three-goal performance led the Canadiens to a 4-0 victory over the Ottawa Senators.

Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau asked his players to go back to the basics after they lost 6-3 to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night — a game which the coach described as the most embarrassing moment in his two-plus seasons behind the bench.

“It’s definitely the best 60 minutes we’ve played in the last two seasons,” Carbonneau said. “I’m sure after what we’ve been through the past few days, there was nervousness, but this is a team that has always responded well to adversity.”

The Canadiens took control of this game early. They tested Ottawa goaltender Alex Auld with five shots on a power play early in the first period and Higgins provided a taste of what was to come when he forced Auld to make a big save after the penalty expired.

Higgins, who dedicated the hat trick to his mother, said he had plenty of help from his teammates on the goals.

Saku Koivu sent Higgins into the clear with a backhanded lob pass over the Senators’ defence to create a short-handed breakaway at 7:22 of the first period. Sergei Kostitsyn alertly found Higgins at the side of the net seconds after the Canadiens finished killing a penalty at 14:11 of the second period. And Alex Tanguay sent Higgins into the clear for another breakaway at 16:35 of the third period.

Guillaume Latendresse scored the other Montreal goal.

“It was a good game for me because I’ve been trying to get myself going after missing a good part of training camp and the beginning of the season,” Higgins said. “This is my third game back with Saku and it’s starting to come around.”

When asked about his last hat trick, Higgins said he had to go back to his collegiate at Yale. He had one against Brown University, putting three shots behind former Canadiens teammate Yann Danis.

The win snapped a two-game losing streak and allowed the Canadiens (9-2-2) to leapfrog the Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres into first place in the competitive Northeast Division. The Canadiens have a one-point edge, but also hold a game in hand on their rivals.

Carey Price rebounded from his performance Saturday night by stopping 28 shots for his first shutout of the season.

He had his best moments in the third period when he deflected a shot by Dany Heatley on a breakaway and later made a big save on a point-blank shot by Jason Spezza.

“I think I got my finger on that one,” Price said of the save on Heatley. “Outside of that, I didn’t have to do a lot.”

“I felt good for (Price), because I’ve been talking with him and know that he wasn’t happy with the way he as playing,” said defenceman Josh Gorges, who contributed two assists.

The Canadiens blocked 22 shots with Roman Hamrlik, who returned to the lineup after missing the Toronto game with a shoulder injury, getting in the way of a team-leading four.

Ryan O’Byrne, who has been in and out of the lineup because of inconsistent play, might have had his best game of the season. He had an assist, was plus-2 for the night and had six hits.

The Canadiens are off to Boston to play the Bruins Thursday night. They’ll return home to face the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday before embarking on a three-game road trip which will take them to St. Louis, Carolina and Ottawa.

1. Sneezer says:

Hey folks… given that we seem to let a lot of goals in lately, and get outshot more than most of the better teams… does anyone want to weigh in on my sig?

____________________________________________________________
    Why don’t we have a defensive coach? Insanity? Or arrogance?

2. mrstewart61 says:

Change of subject, here’s a recent article on Danny Kristo:
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

3. LatheDog says:

my crystal ball is telling me we will win 4-0…..

4. fuhgawz says:

WE WILL WIN TONIGHT! …. no eceptions no excuses ! I better see some heart and effort on the ice tonight for a full 60 min……not 20 not 40…. 60!!!! Carbo should have a taser gun and when someone comes off the ice for doing something stupid, lazy, or not in the teams best interest ZAP him …

5. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

is it time to see LANG and KOVY together?

how about AKOST-LANG-KOVY?

6. Habhopeful says:

Mike Brophy Blog Article…

Leafs hit hard, warm-weathered Kevin Glenn, referee freeze-out, NHL bust and a Hall of Fame writer.

They say what goes around will eventually come around, sooner or later. So maybe while Toronto defenceman Mike Van Ryn is rehabbing from that hit from behind that broke his nose, his finger, and left him with a concussion, he can hang with teammate Ryan Hollweg, who has perfected that hit.

“It is time for the NHL to punish careless players as severely as the dangerous ones,” began an article in Monday’s Globe and Mail, in the wake of Tom Kostopoulos’ hit on Van Ryn. The author noted with great consternation that (gasp) Luke Schenn was nearly injured on a dangerous play later in the game.

The inference gained, of course, is that it is one thing if the rest of the league is piling up injuries from dangerous hits. But now that the chickens have come home to roost in Toronto, well, should not the NHL head office act?

Sure, the Leafs employed cheap-shot artist Darcy Tucker for eight seasons, and now have added a serial-offender in Hollweg. But when people start taking shots back at the Maple Leafs, you see headlines like the Globe’s: “Time to crack down on the careless.”

Leafs Nation. It never ceases to amaze

“We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don’t even have to go to the hospital.”
    ~Brad Park.

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

removed….in light of recent events (toronto debacle)

8. nightmare_49 says:

The NHL Morning Papers (Tuesday Edition) : Granato Calls Out Arnason, Lupul on 4th line and Why is Kane growing a Beard .. by Richard Pollock ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/11/11/nhl-morning-papers-tuesday-edition-granato-calls-out-arnason-hossas-first-game-against-penguins-and-lupul-demoted-to-4th-line-in-philadelphia/ ……………………… Stats : Kings Stats Improving .. by E.J.Hracek ESPN ….. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3693302&name=hradek_ej ………………….. Rangers Fashion Shoot .. NHL FanHouse ….. http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/11/rangers-fashion-shoot-echoes-the-era-of-sasson/ ….. Lest We Forget …

9. Mike says:

to change up the lines:

the first 2 must play equal amounts:

Tanguay-koivu-Kovalev
    Andrei-pleks-sergei
    Higgins-Lang-Latendresse
    Begin-Lapierre-Laraque

10. Bash says:

Hey Carbo!

Pleks – Kosti, Kosti

Koivu – Tanguay, (Insert net crasher/banger here…anyone from Hamilton with something to prove… maybe even GL on offensive Zone faceoffs…maybe one LAST, and I do mean LAST, chance for Carbo’s Little Softie)

Lang – Kovalev, Higgins

11. twocents says:

Hey, what happened to your signature?

12. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I can’t wait to find out the lineup tonight…that will tell the story.

Stouffville.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

14. krob1000 says:

Sundin has sold his Toronto house…wonder where he is finally heading?

15. JF says:

I agree. Hits should be defined as legal or illegal and punished on that basis, without regard for consequences. Also, suspensions for fighting should not come into the same category as suspensions for hits, so Kostopoulos should not be classed as a repeat offender.

16. HABZ24 says:

carbo better stress more defence and disciplined play.clean body checks.after starting hot outa the blox i guess u get complacent and take things for granted.youve gotta work ur azz off every shift and stay outa the friggin penalty box. price needs help from his d to win. dandys in for t.k tonite.

17. HABZ24 says:

t.k got 3 games

18. Dennis says:

I’m in Las Vegas trying to win enough money to buy the Habs. Meanwhile, I haven’t heard if anything happened to Kostopoulos. And if they look bad tonight against Ottawa, I’m going to follow cricket instead.

19. Number31 says:

Hollweg should shut his trap. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black…

20. ryantheduke says:

he should definitely be suspended for that. i really hope they look at it.

21. LatheDog says:

Thanks buddy!

22. Habhopeful says:

NO THAT MY FREIND WAS A HELL OF A PREDICTION!!

~Brad Park.

23. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree, now if that was not intent to injure, what is?

24. RiverviewCanadien says:

Fantastic Hockey by the Habs!!!

Great job Higgins!!!

Great job Carey!!!

WOW…that is all

25. HabsoluteFan says:

what a digusting elbow on lapierre…If he stays down it’s a suspension, he gets up it’s a 2 minute minor, ridiculous. On another note, the habs played great tonight, kudos to higgins for the hattrick and Carey for the shutout !
    Bring on the Poos

26. Habs2win says:

good win for my habs, tho I thought we gave the sens too many scoring chances and spent too much time in our own zone, but nevertheless a good win. Higgins is our man! Ruutu is a cheap shot artist.

27. 46_14_27 says:

I can eat crow; it doesn’t taste good
    but I can eat it.

46-14-27 Best Line In Hockey !!

The Cup in 3 years or less !!

28. travelsized says:

I, too, love Higgins. :) I have a t-shirt with his number!

29. Mike from Ktown says:

That is the 40 goal Higgy release I’ve been missing. Love the guy.

Hope the habs keep this up for 60 min.

30. travelsized says:

HAHA! Way to slap ‘em in the face boys, score shorthanded.
    YAY HIGGINS! :D

31. boy from school says:

i’m confused

32. splurge says:

i don’t even know what to say… lol

33. Dintrox says:

Go Habs Go … crush the senaturds

34. Habhopeful says:

Seriously? wow! thats a head scratcher, A knee slapper and a sad waste of space on this thread…

~Brad Park.

35. 46_14_27 says:

Not as long as Price is in the net.

46-14-27 Best Line In Hockey !!

The Cup in 3 years or less !!

36. travelsized says:

And again, fantastic! Way to cut their morale, boys.

37. travelsized says:

hahaha, GO HABS GO!
    HIGGINS 21 FOREVER!!!!!!!!

38. nightmare_49 says:

The Empty Netters : This is the Best, Ryan Hollweg Says Kostopoulos Should Get 20 Games and more hockey bits .. by Seth Rorabaugh ….. http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/archive/2008/11/11/about-the-red-wings2-11-11-08.aspx ………………………… Where are You Now? Jeff Beukeboom, “Boooooook’ .. By Michael Obernauer ….. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2008/10/18/2008-10-18_where_are_they_now_jeff_beukeboom_is_a_h.html …………………. Last Night’s Puck Daddy’s NHL Three Stars : 1 – Jeff Drouin Deslauriers/Oilers 2 – Brent Johnson/Capitals 3 – Ales Hemsky/Oilers..

39. jew4jah says:

“NHL vice-president Colin Campbell said the injuries played a role in his decision”

why do the injuries play a role? if van ryn was made of harder stuff, would the suspension be less? i’m not defending a hit from behind but campbell’s decision process is questionable.

also, why a “repeat offender”? his last suspension was for a fight, not an illegal hit.

this all blows.

40. Sags says:

You’re wasting Higgins alongside Lang. Lang is too sssllllooooowwwwwww. Shouldn’t be on this team. Demote S. and A. Kostitsyn to the fourth line with LaPierre and play Higgins with Koivu and Tanguay. Kovalev with Pleks and Latendresse. Begin, Laraque and Dandenault. We don’t lose with Dandenault in the lineup…

41. Bill says:

Your response just about covers it, well said. All of us supposedly biased Hab fans seem to agree that Kostopoulous, while not intending to cause injury, nevertheless deserved a suspension for his error; it would be nice to see similar objectivity from Leaf Nation, and especially from that hypocrite Wilson, who seems to have forgotten that Hollweg – a straight-up goon, unlike Tom K – plays for his team.

42. Chester says:

I got one vote in today and then the site kind of shut down.

43. Gorges_the_great says:

I bet they’re flipping out in Toronto.

44. mrhabby says:

geeeeeee. i wonder where he is moving to…lol. what a blow hard he is. can’t wait to see him in front of the TO media.

love them habs.

45. Habsrule1 says:

How is Tanguay not deserving? You call yourself a Habs fan? To each their own, I suppose lol

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

46. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Good that NHL did something about that Ruutu hit.

But, Ruutu is notorious for his dirty play and big mouth. Was it 2 games only because Laps wasn’t knocked unconscious and would miss 5+ games due to the concussion he suffered? I’m glad Laps got back up immediately, but would it have been more than 2 games had he laid there ’til the smelling salts were brought out?

47. Habhopeful says:

LOL tanguay is great and i think hes a great addition but I had to choose between Semin,Vanek & Tanguay and Semin IS great i’ve liked him since his first year and hes doin wonders for me in my pool so i decided on Semin…

~Brad Park.

48. HugeHabsFan says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one thinking he looked like an idiot.

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

49. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Which is why he has been labeled by many (including me) as a perennially overachieving 3rd liner!

50. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

BGL played a decent game last night. But, what he brought to the game didn’t show up on the score sheet. Essentially, BGL kept Neil in line and at bay. And, when Neil was approached by Georges, he declined the dance. Job well done!

51. HugeHabsFan says:

And it shouldn’t matter what the injuries are… You do the crime…you do the time. Plain and simple.

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

52. Hockey11 says:

To my mind he was totally ineffective as a regular player, if all we want is BGL on the bech his fate is 5 min a game, that is all we can afford. At present he does not possess NHL skating ability.

53. Willy the bum says:

Wow, that new policy sure is getting strict starting this season…

We’re just glad we got away with the famous Kovy hit on Tucker way before…

AH HA HA HA!!!

———-
    “We all wore the same costume as Maurice Richard did; the red-white-and-blue costume of the Montréal Canadiens, the best hockey team in the world.” - Roch Carrier

54. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Yup! LOL

I’d rather be the overachiever than the under.

55. habswarrior says:

I’m glad the league suspended Ruutu, just wish it was for 5 or 10 games. He was even smirking in the interview saying things happen on the ice. BGL should take care of that the next game they play. It should be an interesting game.
    Overall it was the best game the Habs played in a couple of years, at least the games I watched. Laps, Dandy and O’B played excellent for a change. I hope they can keep it up.
    Someone made the comment about BGL not being able to skate or handle the puck. They are completely right but I would sooner see him in the box for 5 than Komi or anyone else for that matter.
    Everyone’s been talking about trading Higgins, I think that would be a big mistake. He is an excellent 2 way player and is well respected not only by his teammates but from players around the league. He would be a welcome addition to any team so keep him with the best…

56. Habs2win says:

Laraque is a waste of money. he does nothing. last night was a perfect example.

57. Dee says:

Well,Well I guess that 75 minuets of practice worked.Maybe Carbonneau should have the same practice the day before each game just so they don’t forget how they have to play hockey.That will teach them in a hurry.What is it with this Ruutu,I think he must have a few screws loose.Waiting to see what the outcome is for him? I am so happy for Higgins he is finally starting to play well.

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

58. jimbo says:

Nothing happened last night because of BGL.No one wants to take a hammering

59. Habhopeful says:

Hey, Im always a homer to some extent and love the habs but the only habs I voted for was Kovalev Price Markov & Koivu, i really dont see the point of having Komisarek there as much as I love Komisaurus but Im sure there not having a shot blocking competition or a hardest hitter, although i can see the visual of komiarek being lined up and have all the all stars slap the pucks at komisarek to see how many he can block or having the all stars lined up and have Komi just skate in and hit them and see how far they can slide before they come to a stop…If that was the case then i would surely vote for Komi but for now i think im gonna go on sheer puck skill and talent…I think Kovy would put on a clinic for any puck handling skills especially if they have the shootout skills comp. id like to see him pull the moves he does in that Rousseau Sports Commercial…

~Brad Park.

60. Mike from Ktown says:

Just because he wasn’t scoring doesn’t mean he was playing poorly. This is one of the guys who game in and game out skates his but off, and makes minimal mistakes. A players worth isn’t always gauged by the G and A stats column.

61. Fansincebirth says:

Like I said, Neil was on his best behavior.

I thought for sure that with the minutes winding down and both Neil and BGL being on the ice, fireworks would happen, as it often (usually) does with Neil but nothing happened. BGL even skated up to him in the Montreal crease at the whistle and Neil politely skated away.

Job well done, just by being present.

62. POPS says:

Great game last night but, I am a little concerned with the play of the Kostitsyn brothers.

63. rogus says:

Dandenault looked very good last night. I wish Carbo would let him play more.

64. von says:

TSN.CA

Ottawa Senators forward Jarkko Ruutu is getting called on the carpet.

The NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing today for Ruutu, who in the third period of last night’s game against the Montreal Canadiens, elbowed Maxim Lapierre in the head.

Lapierre did not appear to suffer any injury on the play and Ruutu was assessed a two-minute minor for charging, but the infraction did violate at least two tenets of the NHL’s policy on hits to the head. One, Ruutu appeared to target Lapierre’s head and only made contact with the head. Two, the hit was delivered with an elbow.

_________________________________
    “Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

65. Robert L says:

BIG BIG NEWS FLASH from Bob MacKenzie at TSN via the NHL Network – Brian Burke is out as Anaheim GM, he will be replaced by Bob Murray, former Blackhawks GM and current assistant

66. Gary320 says:

You were watching NHL LIVE by any chance?

67. Gary320 says:

You were watching NHL LIVE by any chance?

68. Gary320 says:

Sergei probably had his best game of the season. AKOS, wasnt great but atleast he was hitting.. so thats good news.

69. Gary320 says:

Exactly. He’s a extremely hard worker IMO. Great to see it pay off yesterday.

70. Gary320 says:

Ruutu suspended for 2 matches. GOOD ON THE NHL. I actually did not think they would do it.

71. Robert L says:

Yes and Yes, the story is an hour old though. Mirtle has it at 12:45.

72. Chuck says:

His payback for waving like an idiot will come at a later date.

__________________________________

73. Steve C. says:

stupid balloting i can’t get through to vote

74. Habstilidie says:

I’m glad Ruttu got it, but this inconsistency is terrible. Make a rule and stick by it. It should NEVER matter what name or number is on the jersey, you play dirty, you pay dearly.

On a side note though, GO HABS GO!!!

75. HugeHabsFan says:

Unbelievable that he’s in 4th as a write in!

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

76. The Teacher says:

Your last sentence says it all. Their best attribute last year was the ability to bounce back from a loss.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

This should be an interesting game tonight, as we get to see Craig Hartsburg’s version of the Ottawa Senators. Regardless of the new coach, you can’t help but wonder if this is the same old team that is basically spinning it’s wheels as it faces the yearly demons from the past.

– the window of opportunity has been there for many years but the Sens always somehow lack what it takes to go through it. This is truly a snake bitten franchise
    – Hartsburg was brought in to instill structure and discipline to a team that had a nuclear meltdown half way through last season. Jason Spezza has already made his way to the principal’s office
    – the Sens are still a one line hockey team to a large extent, great in the regular season but shaky in the playoffs
    – goaltending is still their Achilles’ Heel although Auld has been great so far this year
    – their watered down defense (minus Redden and Chara) still experiences too many giveaways and turnovers
    – the trading of 1st round picks has thinned out the depth in their roster
    – they have some solid role players (Donovan, Ruutu, Kelly, McAmmond, Neil) but they don’t generate much offense on the 3rd and 4th lines as Ottawa is 22nd in goals scored in the NHL this year
    – top lines lately have been Vermette/Spezza/Heatley and Alfredsson/Fisher/Winchester
    – Picard/Kuba is the top defensive pair while Phillips and Volchenkov continue to work together
    – Murray states he is on the prowl for another top 4Dman. Please take a number and get in line
    – decent special teams as the PP is ranked 5th and the PK 7th
    – pretty average on faceoffs with only Vermette having a great winning percentage (58%)
    – lost a tough game in Carolina in the 3rd period on Friday with Phillips being the goat and Corvo the hero (ouch ) Gerber was in net
    – Alex Auld is supposedly getting the start against the Habs and Carey Price. Career backup is getting the chance of a lifetime with Emery in the KHL and Gerber in the twilight zone
    – Laraque gets an opportunity to prove his worth against Chris Neil tonight
    – Ottawa is starting to turn things around while our Habs are in a slight funk. Should be a great test for our boys and their ability to bounce back

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

78. Aybara says:

Maybe the trade higgins train can slow down a little bit after that….

79. C-Dawg says:

Hey Mike…you got a typo…first sentence says Higgins got the Hat trick and the his first career shutout….”Christopher Higgins celebrates his first of three goals tonight. It was the first career shutout for Higgins.”

Great game tonight.

80. moser17 says:

Maybe Higgins never played in a shutout game before. lol

81. coachdoug says:

Hard to beat a team that can score from many different places…they were covering AK’s line but it wasn’t enough. A full 60 minutes of hockey… finally!

82. Mr.Hazard says:

Who was it that called the 4-0 earlier today in a post?? Good job!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

83. moser17 says:

LatheDog. People are all asking him to read his crystal ball about the stock market and their hockey pools over on Boone’s thread.

84. LatheDog says:

thanks buddy!……but I give all the credit to my crystal ball!…lol

85. smiler2729 says:

To the psychic who predicted the 4-0 win, what do you see Thursday vs. Boston?

Count me as one who wants to see Kovalev and Lang reunited (Andrei Kostitsyn’s lacking something and anyways I prefer the Little K over the Big K anyway as a player)…

86. LatheDog says:

I should quit while I’m ahead but I am seeing 4-3 Habs.

87. Nahlsy says:

AK46 is going to lack something for a long time… it’s called his full brain capacity after suffering a concussion in an unsuspended (let alone unpenalized) cheap shot earlier in the year. He’s still not 100% again yet.

88. Habs_008 says:

finally a complete game, thats what Carbo and Co were looking for, now lets do it again and again….

89. Number31 says:

Everyone done panicking now? Thanks! Now back to your regularily scheduled Habs Hockey~
    ******
    the notwithstanding clause – The general consensus of an ordinary Habs fan in Montreal

90. Andrew says:

good win.

But our PP could use some work! not a single goal with all those chances, carbo better get this figured out, or else when those close games come and we get a PP opportunity…

And kovalev didn’t get a point tonight =( was hoping he would score without his helmet again!!!

other than that. GG

GO HABS GO

91. Mr.Hazard says:

Haha… I missed the thread. I actually thought back on the prediction right away when Higgy scored his third.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

92. forskis says:

Watching the Flames/Leafs on SNET HD and they talked about Grabovski’s butt-end…apparently the league took a look at it and put him on notice. The color-guys spoke about it during intermission: they said the butt-end was no big deal, yeah it should not have been done, but it was not malicious and was not a suspendable offense, no harm was done…they also said that hockey is a man’s sport as if those who complained about it should man up…

I understand SNET is a bit of the mouthpiece of the Leafs, but let’s have Toskala butt-ended and see what they say then.

BTW, the Flames looked at the hit and Robyn Regehr who has seen and done a lot said that there was not much TK could have done:

“Kostopoulos was coming in at a full head of steam,” said Regehr. “He looked like he was going to hit Van Ryn shoulder to shoulder but at the last second Van Ryn turned his back to the hit, and it didn’t work out well for either player.

“You can’t look at the end result. You have to look at the whole play. It’s a combination of factors,” Regehr insisted. “You’re going to see a little more of that now that forwards are not held up in the neutral zone. It’s a by-product of a making a little change in the game.”

Regehr also mentioned that coaches aren’t always pleased when players choose not to follow through a big hit and instead skate away from an opponent.

“I don’t think coaches would be very happy to see guys put on the brakes. They’re the ones who get everyone wound up … There are certain times where you see a player do that (ease up on an opponent). It’s respectful. But there’s so much speed now.

“That hit, I don’t think you can do anything with it.”

Asked if the Flames were going to keep a keen eye on Hollweg, who had been benched the past four games after drawing suspensions for illegal hits, Regehr replied, “Oh yeah.”

93. HugeHabsFan says:

I am a happy little Habs Fan tonight. Great game!!

Bring on Beantown…

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

94. Propwash says:

Its funny how Armageddon happens when we lose.

Face it, were gonna lose a few times this year, hopefully as least as possible, but dont give up on the Habs. Ottawa is a pretty strong team and we blew them outta the water, it takes time for the lines to gel together. Im very happy about the game tonight. However, with us Habs fans, it takes one “oh sh1t” to erase a hundred ‘attaboys, such as life being a Habs fan i guess.
    _______
    Losers
    Even
    After
    Fourty one
    Seasons

95. DD says:

Since this thread has ‘prediction’ angle, I’m going to make one.

I predict the Campbell and the NHL will do nothing to Ruutu, even though it was a blatant attempt to injure. He didn’t even try to mask the head shot with his shoulder. It was a ‘career ending’ type of hit which incorperatred a flying elbow directly aimed at Lapierre’s head. This play was as cheap as it gets, but mark my words, nothing will happen. The BSL will pretend it never happened.

If this had happened against the blue boys in toronto, we would have been watching Ruutu’s cheapshot for next 5 days, 10 times every hour. TSN would set up a new biased poll with the question; Should players who hit the Toronto maple leaf blue boys be subject the public stonings and or castration?

This league is run by a snake oil salesmen and his lab asssitant Igor Campbell.

96. jmsheehy19 says:

wow. what an awesome game! so stoked for Higgy. And I don’t wanna start an argument, but I really like how Dandy looked tonight. Laraque…. not so much.

97. joeliedagoalie says:

Man I was watching sportsnet, these guys dont even hide they are on the Maple Laffs payroll. Good ol Kyper saying butt ending is no big deal and its a mans sport. Guess thats why hes in the press box talking about it these days. What a bit$h. Pisses me off, is anyone else sick of hearing this and wishes we could have an un biased network? On a better note the boys in red looked great tonight, keep it up in beantown!!!!!

The drive for 25 is alive!!!!!!!!!

98. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

of course we’re going to lose…and a few more for sure…but its who we lost against, how we lost, and what channel we were on that put it over the top.

Good news is the players felt just as bad and responded.

The only thing bad that can come out of this is Carb going back to Breeze and benching Obryne, Dandy and Larq who I thought were pivotal in tonights win.

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

99. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Great game by the entire team – big difference with Hammr in the lineup.
    and I loved the way Larock nullified the goonery, the man is a diffuser!

Kovy and Koivu were pure magic at times, especially that moment during the PK.

I really feel sorry for Breeze! and Begin/kostop….because as any person can see, this lineup should stay intact for as long as they can.

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

100. captaink4life says:

Carey Price’s mother and sister were in attendance tonight.
    Maybe they should go to every game :P

_____________________________
    Koivu for Prime Minister :)
    Drive for 25!!

101. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

BGL had intimidating presence tonight that kept Neil at bay. That was a very important role.

102. Number31 says:

Awesome. Last time his Tri-City family was here the Habs had that 5-0 comeback.

103. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

I don’t think he’ll bench OB after a strong performance tonight: 6 hits, +2. Perhaps his best game with the Habs. It would be a bone-headed move to put Breezer back in the lineup now.

HP – I hate to disagree, but Laraque was a total non entity in this game. Lapierre, Komi, and Bouillon did all the dirty work tonight. Right now, this guy is taking up a roster spot.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

105. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

lets re-visit this Laraque subject after Saturday.

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

106. Nahlsy says:

I have to disagree, Laraque made his presence known and Neil was a tamed little puppy when Ottawa needed some goonery to help them get back to the game. Laraque also chased Ruutu into Boullion after the cheap shot and had Ruutu get himself thrown out of the game to avoid having to deal with him. BGL’s impact isn’t always going to require him dropping the gloves, sometimes just knowing he’s around to drop them when needed is enough.

107. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

remember what you just said…

I predict breeze will play, probably against the bruins and yes it WILL BE BONE HEADED…and B.S.

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

108. Nahlsy says:

Predicting Colon Campbell being incompetent and inconsistent is like predicting the surface of the sun would be warm if you touched it. :) Gee ya think?

Anyway, I am guessing the fingers will be back off of the panic button after the 1 game losing streak (sheesh) and I don’t think there’s any question whatsoever that it’s open season for any and all cheap shots anyone wants to take on the Habs this season. It’s not like they have Leafs on their jerseys or Colon Campbell is applying to be their next GM or anything.

109. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you got it Nahlsy. You have a total understanding of the “Laraque effect”.

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

110. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Well, here’s hoping it doesn’t happen! I’ll watch for ya on Thursday…

111. Chuck says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Kypreos currently employed in the laffs head office? At the very least he used to be after he retired as a player.

__________________________________

112. habsguy says:

I guess you didn’t see the elbow, plus where was he against the leafs..I haven’t seen BGL diffuse anything this year..

HP – Agreed. There’s lots of time down the road to discuss how Laraque can contribute to this team. For now, let’s agree to disagree.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

114. Chuck says:

Then I guess that you didn’t see the last 1:30 of tonight’s game.

__________________________________

115. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

the leafs were a bunch of snotty tissue – I wouldn’t have even dressed larock for that tilt.
    The fact is he cannot prevent dirty plays, but he will make you answer when the refs are hiding their whistles – and he has a memory like an elephant…JUST WAIT TILL SATURDAY!!!! AGAINST THOSE BASTARD GOONS….

then talk to me about LAROCK!!!!!

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

116. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

did you hear when McGuire said that Laps was hated more than Ruuttu? bloody conspiracy against us.

Chuck – point well taken, I did notice that he was on the last minute of the game to make sure there was no end of game bs. Great coaching move by Carbo. I just somehow feel that Laraque could bring more to the team in a variety of ways. Another topic for another time. Lights out for me.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

118. Mike from Ktown says:

Great game tonight. Higgy had the shot working toinght like I remember a him having a few years ago, hopefully this gives hime some confidence. Usually I find he is hesitant on most of his shots, the kid has a great release and just has to unload more often.

Price was golden, can’t say much more there.

OB used his big body for once back there, hope he keeps that up.

We were winning the battles and races for the puck which was nice to see for once.

Only concern I have left is how often our boys use the streach pass, but don’t take it on the fly. I find we can get the puck to center to a guy standing still and he doesn’t do much with the puck. The boys just have to come back a little more and use short passes. Keep the streach pass as a surprise and blow by the slower D with short passes through the neurtal zone with our foot speed.

Otherwise 10/10 for the night.

119. Willy the bum says:

I still wish that Laraque should score a goal. Then I would laugh at the opposition goalie for getting scored on by Laraque!

———-

120. Chuck says:

Tough to blame them for a lack of shots on that wonderful penalty kill. The reason we’re even talking about it was because of how long they were able to keep posession of the puck; every second that we have it on the PK means that they can’t score on the PP. An ill-advised shot would have just turned the puck over to Ottawa, allowing them to get their PP reorganized.

__________________________________

121. ButJohnnyLovesHockey says:

No he didn’t, he said that Laps was less disliked then Ruutu. Double Negatives = Positive.

TImo – good point (#5) about Ruutu. The NHL needs to replace Colin Campbell with a guy who can distance himself from the old boys network. Someone who acts more like an ombudsman.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

123. Hockey11 says:

I am not a great Carbo fan but I was excited to see him work his players in and out of their processional lines and move people around, BGL is not very effective so sliding him in and out of lines was a better strategy than locking him in one spot. Dandy again proves his versatily by playing the left wing tonight. We are undefeated with Dandy in the line up.

124. Willy the bum says:

A little advice for the team on their next game:

Less slapshots, more wristers.

———-

125. Lee Hayes says:

I’m with you on the PVR love, no longer do I have to rush home early from work in order to catch the game. I think you’ll be able to relate Timo, as I believe your also in the west where the games start unnaturally early. Not to mention how nice it is to FF past the panel and other filler between periods. I also find myself in total agreement with respect to your points both for the good and the bad, which leaves me with just one question for you Timo…hows Guy doing?LOL You need’nt respond to that, I’m just stirrin’ the pot. Seriously though, were you surprised that Neil didn’t want anything to do with BGL?

Go Habs Go

126. Habs2win says:

we won a big game. stop complaining.

127. Hockey11 says:

Dandy chipped a puck in the neutral zone, a nice pass and BGL could not get to it. If he was not BGL tuff guy, he could not crack the Bulldog team. Guy and Bob need to watch this experiment closely and see where it is going. Yes I saw him leave the ice quickly which is prudent. If the team feels they need him for his toughness I like the way Carbo spotted him in the line up, that is an easier way of hiding his shortcomings. The other option is to rotate him in and out to keep the other guys fresh although this may hinder getting him up to speed.

128. Willy the bum says:

I think Laraque should cherry-pick in front of the net…

———-

129. Steve C. says:

like everyone else, i want to talk about Chris Higgins. A few people have mentioned in the past few days that Chris Higgins is nothing but a one-dimensional, third-line grinder not fit for the top line.

I just want to say that even after this performance, i do not rate Chris Higgins as a first line LW, but nor do i rate him as a third-liner. A good 2nd line will have players producing anywhere between 40 and 60 points. Chris Higgins’ stats have reflected this statement throughout his career, with the exception of his rookie year, when he started on the third line and was promoted to the first line after the Olympics.

Steve C.

130. Steve C. says:

i also saw the end of the game at 11:20 lol, good ol’ digital box!

131. pdunph says:

This game was another example of how our team just isn’t a stanley cup contender. Our defence was atrocious as usual. We gave up 27 shots on net, that just isn’t acceptable against a team like Ottawa. Carey Price looked shaky as always in nets. Sure he didn’t give up any goals, but many of those shots were close to going in and that’s just not gonna cut it in the NHL. Latendresse should be sent down to the minors, he has no vision whatsoever. I mean, he didn’t even look around to make a pass on his goal, he just shoots blindly and hopes it goes in. The whole team looked uninspired and we were lucky to get the win. Carbo might be fired as a result of this poor display. Look for Gainey to make some big moves in the next few days. Look for Pacioretty, D’Agostini, Stewart, Chipchura,Deharnais, Weber, Alex Henry, Andrew Archer, Mike Glumac, Olivier Latendresse, P.K Subban and Danny Kristo to be called up from the minors. Hopefully we can pawn Price off to a team for some kind of compensation, maybe even a conditional draft pick if we’re lucky. We also need a top 4 defenceman, a right handed shooter, a top six forward, and a new centerman.

132. Vid says:

Yes it was. Wonder why it didn’t seem to work against Toronto.

Laraques definitely brought that presence if not by reputation alone but considering we’re paying him over a million per season, I’m hoping that he can begin to contribute in the actual playing of hockey because when he’s not fighting he really doesn’t look too great on the ice.

133. Sakuismyhero says:

wait did we watch the same game?
    Price looked awesome, not shaky, and he looked totally in control. I barely noticed the 27 shots, most were nothing spectacular.
    Everyone needs to stop harping on our D: Komi and Hammer played really well tonight as did the rest…and the forwards all chipped in to make it happen for Price. Really I have no complaints. I wish they could play like this every night.

134. Xtrahabsfan says:

You will find it very comforting to have a guy like BGL against Philly and the Bruins,DON’T FORGET HOW ROUGH IT GETS FOR THE PLAY-OFF’S.Heck ,he had C.NEIL IN GOOD BEHAVIOR TONITE”PUSSYCAT LIKE,LOL”

135. Bahamut-Prime says:

You sound like a complete Idiot. For starters 27 shots against is well below league average and despite all their internal problems Ottawa still isn’t a bad team.
    I’d address the rest of the problems with your message but it would be like explaining hockey to a 4-year old and unless you’re a complete idiot the only reason you could ever write a message this stupid would be to try and get people angry. If that’s your goal than you’re still an idiot.

136. Steve C. says:

this is blatant sarcasm at its best. you almost had me fooled, but i got you at “the whole team looked uninspired”.

137. Nahlsy says:

Let’s see how many games Brown in LA gets after his horrific cheap shot on Ribeiro near the end of the Stars/Kings game tonight. (My guess… knowing Colon Campbell… 0, just like Colon’s IQ)

138. fuhgawz says:

well said pdunph i like it when people like you end up looking like a complete dork …. what game were you watching? ? ? ? ? …. call up danny kristo, olivier latendresse are you kidding me? ? ? ? ? …. price shaky lats sent down but bring up his brother huh ? wow dude …..

this was the game we have been looking for a soild 60min effort carbo talked and the boys woke up i like it.. now keep it going boys !!!

go habs

139. A. Berke says:

You’re forgiven! LOL :-)

BTW, I agree with your good & bad points, except I wouldn’t fault the team for going around in circles during the PK; after all, the main objective is to kill the time, preferably with puck possession in the PK. If the team scores a SH goal that would be the gravy.

Good post overall.

It was really heartwarming to see the Habs play a full 60 minute and a solid game for a change.

Cheers,

Ali B.

140. nightmare_49 says:

Andrew Archer?

141. Garbo says:

pdunph is obviously joking everyone, get a clue.

142. G-Man says:

Now that is sarcasm! :)

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

143. Chester says:

I got mine at the boutique at the Bell Centre. It was last year tho, they change the stock around often.

144. DMAN says:

Steve C. – In Higgins I see a guy who could develop into one of the best two way players in the league.

So in that sense I don’t think calling him a third liner is all that negative. As long as he accepts his role He can be an effective 1st liner, a very good 2nd liner, or a shut down 3rd liner. If you limit him just to his scoring ability I think that is when the complaints start coming.

Higgins is much more than that!
    ——————-
    Individual records are nice to get, but before the season starts, you want to play to win the Stanley Cup! ~ Guy Lafleur

145. Mr.Hazard says:

I think I saw some at Sports Experts. They have like 100 times more Habs products than they did last year at this time. I remember about a year ago being totally confused as there seemed to be more Sens merch than Habs! I suppose it’s “whoever finishes first the preceding season” mentality.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

146. Steve C. says:

That’s a very accurate description of Chris Higgins, and I agree with every point. My post was just answering to a few do-do heads who just said that Higgins has no hands, no skill, and is just a third line checker.

147. Steve C. says:

unless you’re the 1993 Montreal Canadiens. Lol, we all know how they did in the last games of the season.

148. xaverian001 says:

It appears as if Sports Experts is the official centennial merchandise carrier and the have the hat I want … PROBLEM … can’t buy online and the closest Sports Experts store to Saint John NB is 5 hours away. Any other suggestions???

What is “Ex nihilo nihil fit” anyway?

149. Fansincebirth says:

I can check here, buy one if they have it and send it to you…..

150. SlovakHab says:

I have heard people (on this website) saying:
    – Higgins is a 4th line player
    – Lats is not an NHL player
    – Price is a career backup

etc.

But to your point – CH21 is a solid 2-way player, not as good as Hossa for example (that’s kind of a player that I consider a proper 1st liner), but still a player who will be one of the best 2nd liners in the league once he reaches his prime.

No comment on the other 2 points.

151. scott9002ca says:

… we love blabbing on about hockey and playing gm and complaining about what they do, and about what the league does. if it pisses you off why do read the comments?
    I forget who wrote this article, but if was about how since the habs had such a good start to the season that the only thing left to complain about was that there was nothing to complain about, making the habs a bery boring subject around the water coolers lol.

152. SlovakHab says:

So true, Robert

153. xaverian001 says:

Man I love this site! Online shopping made personal at HI/O … lol. That’s not necessary though. I can always trouble my sister who also lives in Ottawa to pick one up for me. Thanks Don!!

154. Fansincebirth says:

Not a prob Kirk….

Hopefully she’s not a Sens fan. Might not get to you in one piece :D

I also saw a play whereby Havlat almost took a guy’s eye out. The lack of respect around the league is becoming an epidemic.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

pdunph – thanks for the early morning smile. Too bad not everyone appreciates your sense of humour!

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

157. Habsrule1 says:

Fellow Habs fan in Ottawa. I’ll be at Scotiabank place for the game next Thursday! Kostitsyns746 and I can’t wait!

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

158. johnnyhab says:

I hope everyone has started voting today for the all star game.

159. mrstewart61 says:

Exactly, how will the Habs ever win those 7-6 games like Pittsburgh if the don’t smarten up! ;)
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

160. Andrew says:

VOTE VOTE VOTE
    GET KOVALEV IN THERE ASAP!!!

and koivu and tanguay and markov and komi!!1 and price!!

161. Hoegarden says:

Ruutu can run and hide in the dressing room but he’ll have to come out and face consequences for his cheap shot sooner or later.

Read some earlier comments about pussycat Neil vs BGL. How about Spezza trying to take his frustration on Saku ? He likely won’t be around much longer according to comments last night; His no trade clause comes into effect in July09 and at 8 mil a year, he will likely end up somewhere south of the 49th but who would take him is another story.

162. Habsrule1 says:

Actually, that’s not what he said. Miller said I think Ruutu would be voted as more hated than Laps by fellow players, and McGuire said, yes, and that’s why, refering to Ruutu’s actions.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

163. Steve C. says:

can someone tell me where i can vote for the all-star game?

164. xaverian001 says:

Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Markov, Komi and Price are the early leaders in the East!! Price is the top vote getter so far. What a spectacle the All Star game is going to be this year!!!!!

165. nightmare_49 says:

The NHL Morning Papers (Wednesday Edition) : Bruins have Back to Back Games Against Black Hawks/Habs, the Famous Mitch Albom on the Red Wings Great Collapse and Joe Sakic has Back Injury and much more .. by Richard Pollock ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/11/12/nhl-morning-papers-wednesday-edition-sakic-out-tonight-hartnell-benched-and-jordan-staal-breaks-out/ ……………………………………….. The Empty Netters : Numerous Hockey Bits and Videos .. by Seth Rorabaugh ….. http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/archive/2008/11/12/if-you-missed-it-11-12-08three.aspx ………………………. Last Nights Puck Daddy’s NHL Three Stars : 1 – Jordan Staal/Pens 2 – Christopher Higgins/Habs 3 – Dan Ellis/Preds ……………….. Ruutu’s Elbow to the Head (video) ….. http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/ruutu_elbow_to_the_head/

166. Nahlsy says:

Better than Colon Campbell or Pierre McGuire? Hell yes, a monkey can (and has on TSN) do better than those pinheads.

Pierre did have *1* good comment last night in fairness but, he’s a moron. When Ruutu got chucked it was mentioned that he likely prefered a game misconduct to the other option of 5 for fighting with Laraque and Pierre replied with ‘That would be 5 minutes for receiving if he did’. He gets a point for that and loses 10 for his stupidity the rest of the year.

167. nightmare_49 says:

http://www.fromtherink.com/ and go to link which is slow.

168. Steve C. says:

the site must be swarmed, it took me forever to get to the registration page and now i can’t even get in to vote

169. nightmare_49 says:

Too Many do do heads, try later.

170. pdunph says:

lol no problem, I thought I made it obvious when I said Olivier Latendresse should be called up. He couldn’t even make the AHL, let alone the Canadiens.

171. Fansincebirth says:

Hoping my kid can come through with some freebies :o)

172. Mr.Hazard says:

Haha, I was gonna offer too. I would probably have picked one up for myself at the same time.

“Ex nihilo nihil fit” is latin for “out of nothing comes nothing”. Draw what meaning you will from it :)

Ex nihilo nihil fit

173. Spider-Man NL says:

he sure did a bang up job last night, where was he when Ruutu elbowed Lapper? I’ll tell you where, he was watching as Bouillon did his job for him.

174. bidds55 says:

this one made me lol. Awesome post.

175. mrstewart61 says:

I liked the fact that Carbo had BGL out in the last minute to deter the Sens from any nasty stuff.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

176. mrstewart61 says:

What were you expecting, that he’d jump off the bench?
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

177. mrstewart61 says:

I think you needed to add a ;) at the end of your post.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

178. Spider-Man NL says:

Laraque was on the ice when it happen and he nothing about it.

179. bidds55 says:

He was actually on the ice when that happened, not on the bench.

Personally, I like BGL, he is a great scrapper, and does have other skills. What concerns me though is his interpretation of “the code”. He has indicated he won’t make smaller guys fight him, he isn’t “an animal”. I really don’t like that attitude. If Ruutu wants to be dirty, and doesn’t want to fight, then I want to see BGL beat his head into a bloody mashed pulp, (hopefully ending his season, career, or life), and then the next dirty piece of crap like him (Hollweg, Avery, Ott, etc) will take notice. He is supposed to be our policeman, and I want to see him break out the billy club on ALL offenders, not just those over 220 lbs.

180. mrstewart61 says:

Anybody remember the past two seasons how some people complained that Montreal got so much offense from the PP but were very weak 5-on-5? Interesting how this year they are one of the best 5-on-5 and yet some now complain about the PP. PP’s are cyclical. They could easily have a good stretch for several games and be back near the top. I’m just hoping they keep up the solid 5-on-5 play.

———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

181. mrstewart61 says:

My bad. But maybe he didn’t want to spoil Cube’s fun.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

182. Nahlsy says:

Phaneuf, ya he speared him in the eye and nearly took out one of the brightest young stars on the planet and it went by under the radar. Thankfully Dion seems to be healing and it was only superficial damage because that was DAMNED close. Then again Samurai Williams in Carolina showed you’re allowed to spear people in the eyes (Saku) if you play for the right teams.

183. Robert L says:

If the Habs won every game 9-0 with nine different scorers each game getting 4 on the PP, 4 even strength, and one on the PK, fans would complain about the lack of competition and worry about the goaltending not facing enough quality shots!

184. Sask Habs Fan says:

Actually it looked like Ruutu slithered to the first Hab he saw other than BGL as fast as he could. It’s nice having Laraque but it’s getting annoying at how nobody wants to fight him. I was along with many others on here quite happy with the minutes Carbo started to give him when things looked like they were getting chippy out there. One thing I’d like from him is to hit guys more. And hard. But nice win none the less.

GO HABS GO

185. havok says:

Wow revisionist history there…LOOK at the replay…
    BGL went after him,but was stopped by another sens player, Bouillon was the closest and went after him, C’mon saying he didnt do his “job”?…Look at the video!

186. coutNY says:

Seems players and teams need motivation or else you have games like Saturday night.

187. coutNY says:

BGL was in pursuit but Cube beat him to the punch…

188. Robert L says:

And messing up in game 12 is way better than going AWOL in number 82!

189. smiler2729 says:

The Canadiens win 4-0 and all’s I read here from “some of you” are complaints and nitpicking…

“Some of you” need to get a life, enjoy the games, don’t dissect them! It’s only hockey, for cryin’ out loud, my little boy spent a total of 4 weeks in Sick Kids Hospital over the last couple of years and you see a lot of sobering heartbreaking things there that stay with you forever. I’m here to tell ya, life is precious and wasting it just complaining and bitching is a sad indictment of who “some of you” are.

Enjoy hockey, it’s a fun game, enjoy the wins, hell, enjoy the losses, enjoy rooting on the team but don’t sit behind a keyboard, tryin’ to make a name for yourselves by taking a point of view that is so obviously polar to what actually transpires in the game.

Do “some of you” actually think you could do a better job than, oh, take your pick, Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, the players on the ice, Colin Campbell, Pierre McGuire or the hockey writers??? Ever notice how the hockey writers are totally professional in their view on the game and its players? Yeah, try that and maybe we won’t have to read the same old story from “some of you” about how this guy sucks or that guy shouldn’t be playing or blah blah blah…

We should be high-fiving each other after a 4-0 victory and sharing a few laughs at Ottawa’s expense, NOT pointing out the so-called faults of our players and the league, geez, it GETS TIRING!

190. Steve C. says:

Steve C.

191. Steve C. says:

hey Smiler, i don’t know if you were targeting a small group of extremists, but just to be the devil’s advocate here, part of being a Habs fan is having full-on discussion about it. If all we did was hi-five each other after a win and simply say that we’re sad after a loss, we would be very boring hockey fans. Many of us don’t have the chance or time to talk about it the next day with colleagues and such. Some do, and still come on here to blab away, and that’s ok.

But just to be clear, I am being the devil’s advocate because i don’t know what group of people you’re targeting. Are you targeting pessimists who always have something to complain about? If you are, sometimes that can have to do with somebody’s nature, a person who always looks at the negatives. Or….someone has seen something that we’ve completely missed and are actually smarter than us lol.

Steve C.

192. smiler2729 says:

Do the Habs really even have a true first line? Not really more like three scoring lines of equal prowess and I’ll take that over one go-to-line of scorers that opponents can shut down with a good check. Like Ottawa’s Heatley-Spezza-Alfie line…

193. Fansincebirth says:

Living in Ottawa and loving it!!!!!

Neil tucked tail all night, what a pussy. He was invisible.

Now that we have BGL, Neil is afraid of stirring up s**t.

Spartacat? Nope, Spartakitty…

Ruutu needs to find himself on the receiving end of many many BGL fists!!

194. smiler2729 says:

Yeah Steve, targetting the always negative, pessimists who just insist on bashing their own… just really gets predictable, tiring and tedious, like putting up with NBA highlights when all’s you really want are more NHL highlights.

195. xaverian001 says:

Anyone know where I can buy one of the hats the players wear in the post game interviews? I particularly like the ones I’ve seen Gorges and Price wearing … all black with a black Habs logo. Any help would be appreciated!

196. Mr.Hazard says:

And umm…. the NHL voting page is being VERY VERY slow and bugging up all the time. I’m annoyed.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

197. RGM says:

I myself have voted for the Habs players 2 or 3 times. I tossed a bone out to Ovechkin & Crosby on one of my ballots, but the D has been Markov & Komisaurus and the goaltender has been Carey. It’ll be mighty sweet to see the Habs as the Starting Six for the East in Montreal if the pace holds up.
    —–

198. Mike from Ktown says:

how often can we vote per account? Once a day?

199. Mr.Hazard says:

That’s ridiculous!! Haha

Ex nihilo nihil fit

200. quickcritic says:

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but the Habs players are blowing away the competition in the All Star Voting!!

Forwards
    1st – Koivu – nearly 14000 votes
    2nd – Tanguay – nearly 12000 votes
    3rd – Kovalev – nearly 11000 votes
    7th – Higgins – nearly 5000 votes
    8th – Plekanec – over 4000 votes

Defence
    1st – Markov – nearly 16000 votes
    2nd – Komisarek – nearly 13000 votes
    4th – Hamrlik – nearly 6000 votes

Goalies
    1st – Price – 17000 votes The most for any player east or west!!

http://ca.fanballoting.nhl.com/leaders Check it out here!

201. Chuck says:

And Hamrlik’s not on the ballot, so those are all write-ins, as are Pleky’s and Higgins’.

__________________________________

202. craz11 says:

Did you WATCH the game last night?

Doesn’t look like they’re sleeping anymore. Here’s hoping that disaster in Toronto was their wakeup call.

203. Drive_For_25 says:

Submitted by Gr8stFranchizEvr on Sun, 11/09/2008 – 01:29.

Mark my words:

“Mtl. will lose 3 out of the next 4 games, maybe even all 4″

You heard it here first. This week, Saturday to Saturday, is the wake-up call. The team is in a deep sleep and needs a few losses to shake them up.

——————————————————————————

Great call on that one man. Keep up the good attitude!! Glad the Habs could prove you completely wrong!!

GO HABS GO!!!!

204. HabsalwaysCA says:

When you win 4-0 and have no major letdowns, its hard to justfy citicizing.
    You’ve got to be pleased with the way they turned around after the last two horrible performaces. Carbo said it before the game, “Defence first”. And guess what, you could almost always see 5 red sweaters in the D zone.

Price played his “A” game, with his brain turned all the way on, for the whole game,his positioning was at his very best. He “stoned” ( I’ll give him that, cause he thinks he touched it on its way to the post and out) one of the best, Dany Heatly, on a breakaway.
    No significant shots to the glove side, so-last night: perfect…
    (Did you notice: Pierre McGuire, for all his other quirqiness, could not stop talking about amazing Price is, almost to the point of homer embarrasment)

It’s already been said, but I’ll point it out again: Way to go Ryan O’Byrne. He threw his weight around and played hard and with confidence. Finally…
    Put a few games together like that and the talk of needing a 4th D man will go away.

And Josh Gorges, has been stepping up his game over the last few and was solid again last night. I hope he continues to show that I was wrong about him being too soft for the NHL…

Higgins and his Hat have been well covered: and I hope this sparks the start of a 30 goal + season for him, which is not at all unreasonable…

Well the boys responded to Carbo’s call out… Keep it up and spank the next two….

number 25 in 2009

205. Gorges_the_great says:

It was a great defensive game for us but I still agree with what someone else said in another post: we need an assistant coach who knows more about defence. Although, I still think that Carbo, Muller and Jarvis are doing a great job.

206. Fansincebirth says:

Brown’s hit on Ribeiro from TSN

“Brown was ejected from the game and assessed a five-minute major for boarding. No further disciplinary action is expected.”

OMFG!!!!!!!

207. Gorges_the_great says:

Ribeiro wasn’t hurt enough to deserve any further discipline. The NHL punishes injuries, not intent. I know, it’s dumb.

208. pdunph says:

I really like what Laraque brings to the team so far, especially last night but I really wanna see him pound the crap out of someone soon. I wish he would have fought Neil last night, there was one faceoff where I thought they were gonna go but I guess Neil chickened out.

209. Habstilidie says:

Ruttu will be facing the music for last nights cheap shot. Maybe there is a bit of justice in the league..

210. Mr.Hazard says:

Good.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

211. Gorges_the_great says:

Way to go Habs! We’re back. It’s funny how two losses in a row and we’re freaking out. Most teams would kill for our record.

Nice to see Ruutu’s elbow is getting a second look by the league but clearly players aren’t dissuaded from targeting the head. If you think about it, NHL policy isn’t really in perspective. You get 2 minutes for holding but nothing for driving their heads in the boards like a la Sauer on Kostitsyn. Sure, Sauer’s hit was technically clean, but it shouldn’t be considered clean because it clearly wasn’t safe. Any hit to the head (Sauer’s or Weight’s or Bell’s hit on Alfredsson last year) should be an automatic major. Those hits SHOULD NOT be considered clean. The NHL needs to start protecting the head the way it protects the back. Sorry for the rant.

212. Dennis says:

I missed the game because I’m in Vegas, but I’ve been reading about it. If anyone could fill me in more, please….
    I’m at http://dennis-kane.com/

213. carmine007 says:

If you have a computer available go to.

cjad.com EN. ckac.com FR

You can listen to the games live!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

214. Bugs says:

“Canadiens pull themselves out of the mire”
    Peace Out
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

215. carmine007 says:

It was a Rememberance Day for all!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

216. vaya_ says:

i think the puck drops at 7:00 exceptionally because tsn is showing it.

217. Björn says:

I am a little bit confused. It´s tuesday, so the game should start at 19.30 pm but according to NHL.com /TSN it starts at 19.00 ? Later on I have to set my alarm clock as it will start at 1 am or 1.30 am where I live… Can anyone clear that up for me please ?

218. nightmare_49 says:

TSN is reporting 7:00 as well as my TV menu for RDS, interesting.

219. Corporate says:

I am not 100% sure but the 19:00 start may include the pre-game show…

——————————————————————-
    Koivu for Prime Minister…

220. Robert L says:

Essential Rememberance Day reading for fans interested in how the Leafs nation spin doctors Canadiens success.

Examining A Wartime Habs Myth On Rememberance Day

221. nightmare_49 says:

Gameday : Sens vs Habs .. by Chris Stevenson ….. http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/11/7368786-sun.html .. It’s Time to Wake Up, Jason .. by Don Brennen ….. http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/10/7358856-sun.html …………………………………………………. Wild Ride for Phillips .. by Don Brennen ….. http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/10/7358846-sun.html .. Mathieu Dandenault is expected to start on the fourth line in place of Tom Kostopoulos .. Sportnet

222. nightmare_49 says:

A Day in the Life of Peter Schaefer .. Stanley Cup of Chowder ….. http://stanleycupofchowder.blogspot.com/2008/11/day-in-life-of-peter-sch… …………………………………… James Mirtle : Cherry’s Time as a Hab .. From The Rink via Eyes on the Prize ….. http://www.fromtherink.com/ …………………….. Brats in the Candy Store .. by Mike Chen ….. http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/mc/comments/brats_in_a_candy_store

223. Björn says:

On RDS it always includes the pre-game show but on TSN and NHL.com ?

224. JF says:

I see that our powerplay has jumped from about 18th to 11th. The one positive development in the last few days…

225. habsfan reduxit says:

… no ‘comment’ section for the Kostopoulos/Wilson news reports, so I’ll say it here.

… Tom K. did a bad thing; he knows it, and has said so. Colin Campbell is an idiot, trying to kow-tow to Bettman, so his words are irrelevant. Ron Wilson is a good coach, a good guy, and has a right to sound off – a little bit against Tommy, and a whole lot against Colin C.

… but here’s the kicker. When Ron W.’s comments are repeated for me in the Toronto Sun, one of the country’s worst and yellow-est rags, they barely warrant a mention in HI/O.

226. Chris says:

After all the doom and gloom the past few days, its kind of neat to see that we still stack up quite well to the defending Stanley Cup champions. Of particular note to me:

Goals for average: 3.41 (DET), 3.32 (MTL)
    Goals against average: 3.03 (DET), 2.59 (MTL)
    PP %: 30.9 (DET), 19.4 (MTL)
    PK %: 81.0 (DET), 82.1 (MTL)
    Record: 9-2-2 (DET), 8-2-2 (MTL)
    Opponents’ Cumulative Record: 92-65-21 (DET) (51.7 Winning %), 80-61-22 (MTL) (49.1 Winning %)

Where I think Montreal needs to clean up their act:

PIM average: 12.1 (DET), 18.9 (MTL)
    Shots on goal average: 36.5 (DET), 30.8 (MTL)
    Shots against goal average: 28.9 (DET), 31.6 (MTL)

Obviously the shot on and against goal averages would change significantly if the Habs could stop the parade to the penalty box.

So while they have been playing below expectation for much of the season, I think we fans can still take some solace that its a long season and the Habs are not the only team struggling to find its defensive game. There is still time though, as its the two months at the end of the season that count the most, not the two months at the beginning. They have banked enough points that their October/November performance has bolstered their playoff chances, all the while struggling to find their game.

227. Chuck says:

You can vote as often as you’d like. In fact, after your votes are submitted the page refreshes with a big “VOTE AGAIN?” button in the middle of it.

Six starters would be awfully sweet…

__________________________________