Game 13: Canadiens stick it to Sabres

Canadiens’ Carey Price
stops Sabres’ Thomas Vanek Friday night.
Rick
Stewart, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game Blog, Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Benoit Pouliot | Jeff Halpern | Carey Price | Mathieu Darche

• At a Glance: The Buffalo Sabres remain winless at home this season after a 3-2 loss to the Canadiens on Friday night, the second time this season that the Canadiens have won in Buffalo. Things started off well for the Sabres, who were able to take the lead twice, but they were both short-lived as the Canadiens fired back within moments. Mike Grier made it 1-0 17:18 into the first period on an odd-man rush as the Canadiens fumbled with the puck in the offensive zone. But Jeff Halpern tied the score 1-1 18:40 into the period which was dominated by the Sabres, who outshot the Canadiens 16-10. In the second period, Jordan Leopold made it 2-1 Sabres after 9:02 played, and this time it took the Canadiens only 46 seconds to reply. Off a faceoff, Mathieu Darche fed the puck to Benoit Pouliot, who slipped it behind Patrick Lalime, who played in place of the injured Ryan Miller. Before the period was over, Pouliot made it 3-2 Montreal with a slapshot from the faceoff circle that went off the post and in behind Lalime. Carey Price, coming off two losses, made 29 saves for his seventh win of the season.

• Key Moments: Both teams failed to take advantage on the power play, with the Canadiens going 0-for-3 and the Sabres going 0-for-4.

• What It Means: The Canadiens snap a two-game losing streak with the win and improve their record to 8-4-1 for 17 points.

• What’s Next: The Ottawa Senators are at the Bell Centre on Saturday night, with a visit from another Canadian team on Tuesday when the Vancouver Canucks come to town. The week continues with a visit to Boston on Thursday and a home date with the Carolina Hurricanes next Saturday.

1. TomNickle says:

I’m to pass it off as a joke?

To my knowledge, nobody hacked Alan Walsh’s twitter account.

Bob Gainey confirmed it, Walsh and Halak didn’t deny it.

Am I missing something here?

2. mike g says:

Oh for sure….

Problem is, I don’t wanna go through all the trouble of putting on all that makeup and getting a mushroom cut, and then find myself alone on Crescent street.

Sounds like a disaster if you ask me, lol..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

3. joeybarrie says:

You were right, AND I didn’t know how to spell Fasceti….. Hmm I dont have it to look at, so Im giving up on that. SEE…..

Bar 38, dive strip club on the South Shore. Almost a trucker place… Man there was this REALLY REALLY bad one in Dorion, can’t remember the name. Motel attached and everything….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. TomNickle says:

Joey.  I’m not saying it was a bad deal for us.  I think it’s been a homerun for us.

You need a cigarette my friend.  Either that or a tall glass of Bourbon.

5. TomNickle says:

If you dress up like Simple Jack I think you’ll find out if the HIO crowd is still there or not.

6. fbkj says:

im sorry but your applying TWEETS as absolutes

which is ridiculous

7. joeybarrie says:

Marian Gaborik 42 goals, 44 assists for 84 points in 76 games. Gomez 59 assists/points in 78 games……

One team didn’t make the playoffs, one did and went to the Eastern Conf Finals.

Its not about a specific cap hit player, but the team… How is Gabs doing so far this season????

PLUS WE GOT PYATT.

Havent seen Valentenko or McDonagh in a NYR uni yet.  Higgins you say?  Is he still playing in the NHL?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. TomNickle says:

Can’t do it my friend.  I’ll be making time next year for sure but I’ve had a business meeting scheduled for about four months for tomorrow afternoon and can’t make the trip.

It’s unfortunate.  Maybe we can have a few drinks at a playoff game in April.

9. mike g says:

You guys better stay late….

When I show up around 10, I don’t wanna be the only HIO member in that place, lol…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. andrewberkshire says:

Tom, you heading to Hurleys tonight?

11. fbkj says:

oh i laugh at typos, thats not what i meant, chez paris however, isnt a typo

no clue about bar 38

12. pic1983 says:

Totally agree.  To me, that looked pretty much like the definition of the hit the NHL wants out of the game.  I love how thornton and doan both said “i didnt even mean to hit him”.  Yeah, ok…..

On another note, we’re agreeing way too often these days, its getting a little weird hahaha

13. TomNickle says:

It makes sense to rejoin a guy who helped you tremendously in reaching 48 goals.

14. TomNickle says:

All they got in that deal was the money to sign Gaborik.  Some might argue that’s more than what we got and I don’t feel like getting into that due to Gaborik’s injury history.

But the Rangers don’t have Higgins, Valenenko hasn’t played in the NHL and only has around 30 professional games and McDonagh is David Fischer all over again.

Maybe even more like Bobby Fisher.

15. joeybarrie says:

Not only tha but i NOW know how to spell fascetious. Assuming you are correct of course. Ok Mr. Smarty…. How about Bar 38???? Know where that is?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

16. TomNickle says:

His agent represents him.  The agent speaks for the player.  The agent says give him more icetime or trade him.  That’s a trade request in my book because you can’t expect a coach to follow the ultimatum of a player agent, and the agent shouldn’t expect him to.

17. Say Ash says:

I’m not sure I understand the rationale, but the argument I’ve heard is that Gio and Cammi would not have come without Gomer being here. Cammi apparently took less than what was offered by Toronto. But make no mistake, Gio’s money was earmarked for Kovalev.

Again, that’s only stuff I’ve read from the experts on this site.

18. WarHero says:

Well … we did get Gomez & Pyatt :) All the Rangers have right now is McDonaugh and maybe Valentenko (who is not that good by the way). Seems like a win to me :)

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

19. pic1983 says:

Im sorry, but if you in any way, shape or form expected a player of the quality of Ryan Getzlaf or Claude Giroux for a goaltender, in a goalie market thats colder than the NYSE Circa 2008, I dont even know what to tell you…

20. Mark C says:

What a load of bunk.

1. You don’t give up an asset with out getting comparable or hopefully better value. Eller was not value – he was a future consideration

Based on this reasoning, the B’s got utterly jobbed on the Kessel trade.

2. If Halak had to be traded, we should have signed Price first. We could very easily have ended up with neither of them. And we are DAMN LUCKY Price got his head out of his ass. He’s played well.

Negotiation 101 would suggest that to get Price signed before trading Halak (and before the best trade window closed, which was before the goal deminsihed in size July 1st) Montreal would have had to overpay Price to get him signed early.

5. My final point: this team won’t win squat while Nomex is on it. He was -6 in the playoffs last year.

Gio and Cammy had the same +/-, does that mean Montreal can’t with them too?

21. SmartDog says:

That’s about right.  More than O’Byrne-like suck, less than Gomez-like suck.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

22. Mikey_39 says:

Exactly.  Montreal has a hard enough time luring free agents here, with out high taxes and harsh weather.  Signing someone and then trading them would only make matters worse, not to mention is a classless move.

I like what Gainey did, brining in Giona and Cammalleri.  I personally would have kept Koivu but what’s done is done.  My problem is with the Gomez trade.  I think we gave up more than we got.  NY was looking to dump his salary, so they should have given us a draft pick or another prospect.

23. pic1983 says:

how many cups has he won again?

24. joeybarrie says:

You are exactly right. I don’t know why but I always throw Anaheim in the North and San Jose in the south. Really dumb I know…. I don’t know why I do this, but I do it when i don’t stop to think. I should stop and think more often I know….

ANOTHER ONE OF THE HABS FANS ISSUES……

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

25. TomNickle says:

Mike Gillis, Chuck Fletcher, Ray Shero, Garth Snow and Stan Bowman come to mind.

Funny that three of those guys are sons of great hockey minds and really didn’t prove themselves at all prior to getting General Manager jobs.

26. TomNickle says:

Funny stuff.  I heard the argument all summer that Gauthier should have signed Halak before trading him.

Problem with that is that no free agent, restricted or not will sign with your team if there’s a pattern of you trading prior free agents right after signing them.

27. pic1983 says:

And all employed NHL Gm’s automatically are genious’ and know better? Theres definitely posters on this site who wouldnt have been stupid enough to make the dumb trades that milbury is famous for.

Just because you get paid to do the job, doesnt mean you know how to do it.  That is the corporate world.

Im not saying that all the critics here are qualified to be GM’s, or even that any of the critics here are qualified to be GM’s.  Doesnt mean that all NHL GM’s are qualified to be in their positions either.

Brian Lawton? Mike Milbury? John Ferguson Jr?

There’s a reason GM’s get fired.

28. joeybarrie says:

Some funny things I have been reading….

“There will be a market for goalies in March” There wasn’t a strong market last March. Why would there be one now? Goalie’s unfortunately are not worth what they once were to a team.

“Gainey panicked when he blew up the team”  How?

“Gauthier panicked this year” How?

“Dude, if you are Gauthier, and you know Halak’s value (duh…), and
    the market isn’t there, you don’t trade him. You re-sign him and wait
    till we can get value.”  And let you top scorer walk for nothing. YUP makes alot more sense. Lose Pleks and Eller. Sign both goalies, then get somehwere near Eller when your FORCED to trade one.

“You gotta take boat-anchorage smurf(tm) boy and his $7.5m” Then kiss any play off success good bye.

So frustrating to see so many people talking about players we let go (whit the exception of Halak) when they did CRAP ALL in the play offs. OOOH but their reg season stats in one given week are so good…

The players Gainey gave up are not doing ANYWHERE near as well as the players he brought in as a whole. They team has been more successful. So how can anyone with any common sense or brains bash the moves….?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. pic1983 says:

I dont think so.  Hes an opinionated kid who just doesnt know any better and he got taken advantage of by two veteran media personnel who baited him.  Obviously paccioretty is to blame for his comments, but Tony Marinaro didnt shy away from asking the tough questions.

30. WarHero says:

Hey guys .. for those of you who want to see some of Jarred Tinordi:

Ottawa 67’s -vs- London Knights

Tonight: 7:30pm

Rogers Channel 22 (Otawa)

Online:

I’ll be live blogging the game. You can view the blog at: http://ottawa67shub.com/category/ottawa-67s/

Cheers,
    Anthony

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

31. mike g says:

I have nothing to say concerning the Habs….

I just wanted to have the top post in this thread.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

32. HUDSONHAB says:

Well, well. Just reading some posts and I see that some things never change for long.

I for one am glad Halak is doing well and hope he wins the Vezina. Having said that, I am also happy with Price and Eller. Hopefully Eller can contribute tonight and the G-men can get it going with AK46.

The pp is not far from being really good again and if we can still do well 5 on 5 I think we will battle for top spot all year long.

I will stay positive… it’s too easy to be negative and negativity and stupidity seem to go hand in glove.

….Hab4life….

33. smiler2729 says:

Anaheim’s in south Los Angeles. Stupid name, contract ‘em out of the league.

34. smiler2729 says:

Pacioretty was talking between beers.

35. CBrady12 says:

I think he was referring to Anaheim even though its not really in northern cali

36. smiler2729 says:

JM is one of the 10 winningest coaches in NHL history…

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

So were Pacioretty’s comments his way of letting JM know he wants an audition on the GG line?

38. savethepuck says:

And when they apply for their NHL jobs they can attach their posts on this site to their resume. Should be a no brainer for any organization then.

39. bertuzzisucks says:

I think to sum up JM, our Coach. He’s an OK coach, not weak, yet not strong.

40. secretdragonfly says:

Just arrived in town and checking on the latest – Mattyleg, there will indeed be nametags, however, you hadn’t posted the info on Ian’s blog so yours won’t be personalized but we brought lots of blanks.

41. smiler2729 says:

Good take but just a long way to say Hab fans are spoiled brats.

Northern California won a Cup? Oakland Seals? San Jose Sharks?

42. TB says:

why would there be a market in march??  the trade deadline?  if so dream on – no one who is gunning for a  cup will give up a top 6 player for a goalie if they are already winning – if they are losing then there is no need to get better – the end result would be the same – assuming both Halak and Price had trade value then

on the flip side Halak’s value was very high in June after the deep playoff run – this was the best time to trade him – could Gauthier looked around a little more perhaps but really there wasn’t very many people looking for a goaltender – case in point the FA market on July 1

43. PrimeTime says:

I find it hard to believe that quality of NHL Gm’s and Coaches is so low considering the pool of available experts here! Why arent you all employed for your expertise?? Oh ya, critics are wanna-be’s – sorry, my bad.

44. rocketsglare says:

Why would you feel bad if Halak gets a SO? Good for him. As long as Halak does not SO the Habs

when they meet on March 10, I could care less how many SO he has. I know Price will get his.

I don’t understand the view of some on HIO to still hold Price accountable to a former teammate,

especially when no other current teammate is being judged accordingly. So, is Price supposed to

measure up to Halak for the rest of Halak’s career? That would be ridiculous.

Halak is performing for a different team and I wish him well (except for the March 10 game) and

I see no reason to continue to make him relevant to anything Price may do now or later. I guess

for some, the trading of Halak was an affront, never to be forgiven. Sad. Very sad.

45. fbkj says:

lol

thanks but um… i was being fascetious at his misspelling

im more than aware of what he was referring to

46. montrealtilldeath says:

JM must understand the problem is on defence. Markov  is not in game shape but he has to play to get there. I can live with this but to play Gill, Spacek and Hamerlik, all who are long in the tooth and slowing down, is killing us. They have all lost a step especially Gill and Spacek. We all see this. Sitting Picard who was steady and getting better with more confidence each game is a huge mistake. At least carry him as a seventh defenceman to spot one of the others when it is obvious. We just can`t carry that many below par defencemen. They look horrible at the back and Picard will lose the confidence he has gained if he does not play.

And trying to blame Price is crazy. We see games where the Habs get the most shots but the shots the opposition gets are wide open or with the trailing opposition player totally unmarked in the 90% zone.

47. montrealtilldeath says:

48. joeybarrie says:

Chez Paree is the strip club that is being reffered to. It is on Stanley just north of the Bell Center. Its a long standing classy gentlemans club that many many Hockey players and Montrealers have frequented for many many years.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

49. smiler2729 says:

Two different words, look it up, dumbazz

re·dun·dant

Adjective1. No longer needed or useful; superfluous

re·pet·i·tive
    Adjective: Containing or characterized by repetition

“Only time will tell if we stand the test of time” – Van Halen, “Why Can’t This Be Love?”, 1986

50. CBrady12 says:

buddy this site isnt about english composition, its about hockey

51. joeybarrie says:

The thing is this. To me, the reason that this city is IMPOSSIBLE to please is simple. There are 4 million fans who all wish desperately they were professional hockey player. To a degree that very few others can understand. Because of this and the fact that Montreal is known very very well for a few things and one of them in the Canadiens, the fans consider themselves the cream of the crop. It is a mentality passed down from parents who saw the team win everything every year.

The less one is happy with their own life, the more they want the Habs to win. The more they feel they BELONG as part of the team. They feel their cheering and booing move the team along and this is all that they can do. It frustrates them, as management does their job without the benefit of the fans input. So they react in the ONLY way they know how. They Bash the team’s perceived weakenss’ needlessly.

The expectations of a People who has little else in this category. We have no other teams that dominate in both the US and Canada. That factored in with the fact the Quebec has it’s own distinction within Canada, equals the modern day fan.

Its a weakness that is paramount in this city because a ONCE strong Dynasty is simply mediocre for the most part in a given year. Our own players (Quebecois) go to warmer climates for more money and to be removed from the Media hot seat.

In the end I think that we feel that our birth right is being taken from us. Montreal is the birth place of professional hockey and now you have teams from Northern California winning the Stanley Cup, and teams from Southern LA buying the best player in the league.

The mentality is HEY THIS IN MONTREAL. WE KNOW HOCKEY. LISTEN TO US…. Yet the fear is people will say ‘If you know so much, why is your team not winning’…

Montreal Fans after a Playoff victory is not dissimilar to hooliganism in many soccer loving cities and countries.

It is a religion in this city, and people feel they should have a say in what happens if they are gonna believe.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

52. smiler2729 says:

Thought so, just funning ya

53. LA Loyalist says:

Post of the Day!:

“redundant and repetitive” — definitely gets the Groundhog Day award for Deja-vu-all-over-again-better-alliterate-than-never.

54. fbkj says:

you could literally see them roll their eyes when being introduced on stage

55. LA Loyalist says:

that’s hilarious. I yield to your expertise in this area of specialty.

I will tell you I miss shooting billiards (not 8 ball) on St. Laurent.

Maybe my posts are a little more agitated then usual (though they are usually pretty agitated) because I can’t be there having a cold one with the lads.

Have fun!

56. fbkj says:

it is an absolute, getting pleks signed before the first was priority one for the team

and halak’s value was at its highest before the same said date

your suggestion that the team should have faffed about and not make hard decisions could have resulted in much, much worse scenarios

57. savethepuck says:

Thanks< I didn’t want to take the time to look it up

58. LA Loyalist says:

Get that Garon jersey out of the back of the closet!

59. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe, I’m not saying you are wrong. But I don’t think that’s an absolute the way many people post.

Don’t you think there are other scenarios financially that could have worked?

Certainly we would eventually have had to trade Halak or Price (in March, 2011) I’m not denying that.

My grievance is with the timing and the ROI.

thank you for playing.

60. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Halak is one thing, but Garon? Are you serious? Are you saying Gainey looks bad for not waiting out another six years of terrible play from Garon to capitalize on back-to-back shutouts? I guess you can’t complain about them hanging on to Spacek or Gomez then. After all, they could both have a fantastic run of four games six years down the road. Then we would look ridiculous for letting them go.

61. savethepuck says:

Guess my spellcheck didn’t catch that. BRENT JOHNSON

62. Chris79 says:

MC13 looks good at the point…with Markov.

63. Jordio-oh says:

He had two shutouts against the habs in 2000-01 and then he had his last one in 2003-04.

But keeping facts and stats in mind have never been a strong point for observer.

64. Jordio-oh says:

10 years ago. yes.

65. fbkj says:

nowhere near st-denis

the strip club on st-denis was called l’axe

but its changed its name

lazyest strippers in the city is all i can remember

66. LA Loyalist says:

What’s that strip club at St. Denis and St Catherine or somewhere around there?

How can you guys be summitting and not be up on all the peelers? I may just be way out of date, what with being married and in California :)

67. savethepuck says:

How many years ago was his last one?

68. smiler2729 says:

Well, yeah, I was aiming my rant at the redundant repetitive trolls. It’d be easy to ignore ‘em but they just keep dropping in to every thread with their baby-brained “waaaa, Halak is soooo good and he got traded” crap.

If ya don’t have anything constructive, funny or intelligent to say – SHADDDDUP ALREADY!

Or go here and love the Blues

69. fbkj says:

then its all speculative right? you cant just trum it up as halak asked for a trade… there are more honest routes to debate is all im saying

70. mike g says:

Hahaha…

I think you’re blind and stupid.

Look at the quality of players you named, and you really think we can regret letting any of them go?

LMAO.

Getting some glasses and doing an IQ test should be your priorities.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

71. shiram says:

The equivalent of Chez Paré in Paris?? one can only hope.

72. fbkj says:

and in this scenario, plekanec walks

73. shiram says:

Well, not everyone is whining, its just that those whiners are :
    incredebly persistant
    all spewing the same garbage
    and very annoying

truly i can say we have some good Habs fan on here, dont let the Trolls get to you.

74. LA Loyalist says:

Dude, if you are Gauthier, and you know Halak’s value (duh…), and the market isn’t there, you don’t trade him. You re-sign him and wait till we can get value. You don’t trade him for open-face sandwich guy who may or may not work out. Or at minimum, you say fine – you want Halak? You gotta take boat-anchorage smurf(tm) boy and his $7.5m

How freaking hard is that to understand? If we have 2 #1 goalies and Price or Halak whine about it, tell them both to shut the f up and be patient.

Don’t bother posting there was no market. That was a temporary anomoly.

There will be a market in March for #1 goalies, that I guarantee you.

Gainey panicked when he blew up the team. Gauthier panicked this year. When are we going to get management with a male chromosome? (and this from a guy who literally cried when Gainey came on board).

Good thing I’m not at the summit. I’d get beaten up.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

75. CHCanadien says:

Why didn’t he go to the net?  He had a chance for a shot on goal?