Game 13: Canadiens stick it to Sabres

Canadiens’ Carey Price
stops Sabres’ Thomas Vanek Friday night.
Stewart, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game Blog, Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Benoit Pouliot | Jeff Halpern | Carey Price | Mathieu Darche

• At a Glance: The Buffalo Sabres remain winless at home this season after a 3-2 loss to the Canadiens on Friday night, the second time this season that the Canadiens have won in Buffalo. Things started off well for the Sabres, who were able to take the lead twice, but they were both short-lived as the Canadiens fired back within moments. Mike Grier made it 1-0 17:18 into the first period on an odd-man rush as the Canadiens fumbled with the puck in the offensive zone. But Jeff Halpern tied the score 1-1 18:40 into the period which was dominated by the Sabres, who outshot the Canadiens 16-10. In the second period, Jordan Leopold made it 2-1 Sabres after 9:02 played, and this time it took the Canadiens only 46 seconds to reply. Off a faceoff, Mathieu Darche fed the puck to Benoit Pouliot, who slipped it behind Patrick Lalime, who played in place of the injured Ryan Miller. Before the period was over, Pouliot made it 3-2 Montreal with a slapshot from the faceoff circle that went off the post and in behind Lalime. Carey Price, coming off two losses, made 29 saves for his seventh win of the season.

• Key Moments: Both teams failed to take advantage on the power play, with the Canadiens going 0-for-3 and the Sabres going 0-for-4.

• What It Means: The Canadiens snap a two-game losing streak with the win and improve their record to 8-4-1 for 17 points.

• What’s Next: The Ottawa Senators are at the Bell Centre on Saturday night, with a visit from another Canadian team on Tuesday when the Vancouver Canucks come to town. The week continues with a visit to Boston on Thursday and a home date with the Carolina Hurricanes next Saturday.

1. fbkj says:

then its all speculative right? you cant just trum it up as halak asked for a trade… there are more honest routes to debate is all im saying

2. CHCanadien says:

Why didn’t he go to the net?  He had a chance for a shot on goal?

3. fbkj says:

in fairness they all blew that play (mostly gomez) but it was spacek who coughed it up

4. Habs fan in SF says:

man, did you see him screw up that potential break away? then he passes it to gionta who then coughs it up which then led to buffalo’s goal. i love how our huge $$ investment (halpern) had to tie it up (thank god)

5. CHCanadien says:

Gomez sucks!

6. TomNickle says:

When Halak was asked by Elliote Friedman following the Oilers game last year he said that he wasn’t going to discuss what his agent and Bob Gainey were discussing.

If you didn’t request a trade.  That’s a perfect time to say that you didn’t, since you’re being asked.

Alan Walsh is employed by Halak.  Walsh is a douchebag, Halak is not, but if that were my agent it would have been the last day that he would’ve been employed by me for anything, be it public relations, contract negotiations or otherwise.

7. Clay4bc says:

nice to have you aboard.

Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.

— Bertrand Russell

8. fbkj says:

halak never asked for a trade, its easy to write him off that way

but walsh being a schmuck does not mean halak was feeding him his lines

have you ever read walsh’s tweets? hes insufferable

9. fbkj says:

double post *whistles*

10. fbkj says:

1. You don’t give up an asset with out getting comparable or
    hopefully better value. Eller was not value – he was a future

you also dont risk losing an asset without ANY compensation and if you dont see future consideration as value then thats your opinion, if you could please refrain from stating that its fact that would rock

2. If Halak had to be traded, we should have signed
    Price first. We could very easily have ended up with neither of them.
    And we are DAMN LUCKY Price got his head out of his ass. He’s played

fundamentally i wont disagree with this BUT, price was the least pressing concern in the halak, plekanek, price conundrum

3. If Halak had to be traded, and the market wasn’t good, we should have figured a way to wait until the market was better.

and when would that be? when july 1st hits and teams start throwing offers halak’s way?

4. The assumption that we would have lost Plex is pure speculation that has been repeated so much as to become orthodoxy.

yet you do little to refute it other than just stating otherwise, you might as well be plugging your ears and going “LALALALALALALALA”

5. My final point: this team won’t win squat while Nomex is on it. He was -6 in the playoffs last year.

while im not happy with his play this year, he was the only hab to bring it against philly so

11. TomNickle says:

Getting anything for a 9th round pick is good asset management.

Considering we got a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder for a 9th rounder, we did great.

Gauthier also happened to get those assets for a player who didn’t wish to be a part of the organization any longer.  And you can debate the term asset all you want, but a player whose representative publicly taunts organizations and its players and management around the NHL becomes much less of an asset over time.

Trading a 5th overall pick for a 1st and a 3rd isn’t necessarily bad asset management, but it isn’t nearly as good as a 9th rounder for a 1st and 3rd.

12. LA Loyalist says:

Sheesh go finish CEGEP and maybe you’ll understand. Business 101:

1. You don’t give up an asset with out getting comparable or hopefully better value. Eller was not value – he was a future consideration

2. If Halak had to be traded, we should have signed Price first. We could very easily have ended up with neither of them. And we are DAMN LUCKY Price got his head out of his ass. He’s played well.

My head hurts.

13. WarHero says:

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the man :) i am looking forward to meeting him :)

Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

14. fbkj says:

you just drew the shortest straw,; geographically you live closest to nunacanadian, its now your mission to deliver him an atomic wedgie

god speed chris

15. Chris79 says:

Sure is …

16. fbkj says:

life without talking points is for commie liberals

17. punkster says:

Could ya dial back the rhetoric there? Sheesh!

18. TomNickle says:

Yeah I did.  I’ve met him twice.  Once at a charity dinner and once he scouted a goaltender of mine who currently plays in the ecac league that Louis Leblanc just left.

Very nice man.  Loves to talk hockey, go figure eh.

19. punkster says:

Wow Chris. I had to google Chisasibi. Must be beautiful out there.

20. WarHero says:

If you mean the 67’s games, I am not sure, Haven’t met the man yet :( Hope to very soon :)

Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

21. TomNickle says:

Brian Kilrea been attending games?

22. WarHero says:

Welcome to HIO :)

Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

23. Chris79 says:

First time posting, long time reader….

Just like to say hello first to everyone…

24. TomNickle says:

I don’t know that we could have done better in peddling an inconsistent and often injured player in Higgins, an unheralded prospect in Valentenko and a supposed blue chip prospect in McDonagh.

Again, the only way I see that deal as bad is if we could’ve had Brad Richards for the same price.

25. TomNickle says:

Spending to the cap every season since the lockout is an indication that they’re doing what they can to win a Cup.

Not sacrificing draft picks and prospects for rentals is an indication that they want to win the cup in the future.

Acquiring and trading players that you don’t want acquired or traded isn’t an indication that they don’t want to.

26. Mikey_39 says:

Sorry, I should have said practically immovable.  It’s not just about the cap space.  It’s also about who wants to pay 8 mil for a 60 pointer, when you use that kind of money for better players.  I’m not saying Gomez is not a good player.  When it comes to getting into the opponents zone I think he’s one of the best in the NHL.

Look all I’m saying is that at the time, I think we could have gotten more to take Gomez’s contract of the Rangers hands, that’s all

27. fbkj says:

where on the shore?

edit: googled it nvmnd

past st-constant… thats some sticks

28. fbkj says:

they all suck

29. SmartDog says:

Frustrating. I keep hearing defenses of questionable decisions that sound a like a code.  The code made Laraque a useless waste of cap space and now these ‘codes’ have us by the balls.  Can’t sit Gomez for a period – oh my, he’s your highest paid player!  Can’t move Gio down a line for a game – he’s your Captain for peter, mary, and joseph sakes!

The code that got Chelios shipped out long ago still lives on. I guess the code is now saying that MaxPac needs to be shipped out for whatever we can get for him.  It’s all bullcrap.  Smart teams play fair but they don’t let their hands be tied by rules that are going to screw them.

I’m not saying that they should have signed and traded Halak, (though
    if we didn’t have Gomez we’d been in a sweet position to keep our two
    strong young goalies), just that all this code crap is so much bullpucky.

Worried about what people will say about the Habs organization? I have a RADICAL idea! How about if word gets around about the Habs that they are REALLY FREAKIN’ dedicated to drinking from the G-D Stanely cup and they’ll do anything they can do get there.  How bad would that be?   Would players run from being a part of that system?   This gentlemen’s rules as the only rule stuff is history. And so are the Habs as a Stanely Cup team.  Literally – now 17 years and counting.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

30. observer says:

Goon horse racing jockeys now! don cherry will be proud! todays breeders cup races – calvin borel.

31. TomNickle says:

That contract is not immovable.  Not even close.

We’re able to afford it.

There are currently 10 teams in the NHL who could afford that contract without sending salary back.

We got two good players, they got cap room, which they immediately squandered.

32. observer says:

33. mike g says:

I will copy this post, print it from my pc, and stick it on my wall….

And then when my kids grow up, I’ll show it to them and explain why they should stay in school and away from Leaf fans….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. TomNickle says:

Scoreboard Tony.

We went to the Conference Finals, the Rangers didn’t.

You use half of the facts to your benefit and leave the other half of the facts out of the equation because they crush your arguments quicker than I can say troll.

35. Mikey_39 says:

I don’t really care what they did with that money.  The point is that they had an immovable contract.  8 mil for a 60 point player.  Nobody wanted to take that.  usually when that’s the case you have to sweeten the deal for a team to take that contract.  My point is that they didn’t sweeten the deal.  We should have given less and gotten more to take that contract.

36. observer says:

they finished one single point apart – AND – you think rangers stink! unreal!

37. since1988 says:

Just about to leave for the game tonight…GO HABS GO!…but first wanted to post the new PK Subban NIKE commercial…have fun at the summit to all you going

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

38. observer says:

no!!!!!!!!!!!!! you sign halak andyou trade price and resign plek and you do NOT raise pouliot NOR sign darche in june!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus there was money saved not reigning moore and only half of that used for boyd.  gauthier is a 30 year loser in this lweague and NEVER ever even got to finals while he was with a team.

39. TomNickle says:

40. mike g says:

Oh for sure….

Problem is, I don’t wanna go through all the trouble of putting on all that makeup and getting a mushroom cut, and then find myself alone on Crescent street.

Sounds like a disaster if you ask me, lol..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. joeybarrie says:

You were right, AND I didn’t know how to spell Fasceti….. Hmm I dont have it to look at, so Im giving up on that. SEE…..

Bar 38, dive strip club on the South Shore. Almost a trucker place… Man there was this REALLY REALLY bad one in Dorion, can’t remember the name. Motel attached and everything….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. TomNickle says:

Joey.  I’m not saying it was a bad deal for us.  I think it’s been a homerun for us.

You need a cigarette my friend.  Either that or a tall glass of Bourbon.

43. TomNickle says:

If you dress up like Simple Jack I think you’ll find out if the HIO crowd is still there or not.

44. joeybarrie says:

Marian Gaborik 42 goals, 44 assists for 84 points in 76 games. Gomez 59 assists/points in 78 games……

One team didn’t make the playoffs, one did and went to the Eastern Conf Finals.

Its not about a specific cap hit player, but the team… How is Gabs doing so far this season????

Havent seen Valentenko or McDonagh in a NYR uni yet.  Higgins you say?  Is he still playing in the NHL?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. TomNickle says:

Can’t do it my friend.  I’ll be making time next year for sure but I’ve had a business meeting scheduled for about four months for tomorrow afternoon and can’t make the trip.

It’s unfortunate.  Maybe we can have a few drinks at a playoff game in April.

46. mike g says:

You guys better stay late….

When I show up around 10, I don’t wanna be the only HIO member in that place, lol…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

47. andrewberkshire says:

Tom, you heading to Hurleys tonight?

48. fbkj says:

oh i laugh at typos, thats not what i meant, chez paris however, isnt a typo

no clue about bar 38

49. pic1983 says:

Totally agree.  To me, that looked pretty much like the definition of the hit the NHL wants out of the game.  I love how thornton and doan both said “i didnt even mean to hit him”.  Yeah, ok…..

On another note, we’re agreeing way too often these days, its getting a little weird hahaha

50. TomNickle says:

It makes sense to rejoin a guy who helped you tremendously in reaching 48 goals.

51. TomNickle says:

All they got in that deal was the money to sign Gaborik.  Some might argue that’s more than what we got and I don’t feel like getting into that due to Gaborik’s injury history.

But the Rangers don’t have Higgins, Valenenko hasn’t played in the NHL and only has around 30 professional games and McDonagh is David Fischer all over again.

Maybe even more like Bobby Fisher.

52. joeybarrie says:

Not only tha but i NOW know how to spell fascetious. Assuming you are correct of course. Ok Mr. Smarty…. How about Bar 38???? Know where that is?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. Say Ash says:

I’m not sure I understand the rationale, but the argument I’ve heard is that Gio and Cammi would not have come without Gomer being here. Cammi apparently took less than what was offered by Toronto. But make no mistake, Gio’s money was earmarked for Kovalev.

Again, that’s only stuff I’ve read from the experts on this site.

54. WarHero says:

Well … we did get Gomez & Pyatt :) All the Rangers have right now is McDonaugh and maybe Valentenko (who is not that good by the way). Seems like a win to me :)

Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

55. pic1983 says:

Im sorry, but if you in any way, shape or form expected a player of the quality of Ryan Getzlaf or Claude Giroux for a goaltender, in a goalie market thats colder than the NYSE Circa 2008, I dont even know what to tell you…

56. SmartDog says:

That’s about right.  More than O’Byrne-like suck, less than Gomez-like suck.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

57. Mikey_39 says:

Exactly.  Montreal has a hard enough time luring free agents here, with out high taxes and harsh weather.  Signing someone and then trading them would only make matters worse, not to mention is a classless move.

I like what Gainey did, brining in Giona and Cammalleri.  I personally would have kept Koivu but what’s done is done.  My problem is with the Gomez trade.  I think we gave up more than we got.  NY was looking to dump his salary, so they should have given us a draft pick or another prospect.

58. pic1983 says:

how many cups has he won again?

59. joeybarrie says:

You are exactly right. I don’t know why but I always throw Anaheim in the North and San Jose in the south. Really dumb I know…. I don’t know why I do this, but I do it when i don’t stop to think. I should stop and think more often I know….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. TomNickle says:

Mike Gillis, Chuck Fletcher, Ray Shero, Garth Snow and Stan Bowman come to mind.

Funny that three of those guys are sons of great hockey minds and really didn’t prove themselves at all prior to getting General Manager jobs.

61. TomNickle says:

Funny stuff.  I heard the argument all summer that Gauthier should have signed Halak before trading him.

Problem with that is that no free agent, restricted or not will sign with your team if there’s a pattern of you trading prior free agents right after signing them.

62. pic1983 says:

And all employed NHL Gm’s automatically are genious’ and know better? Theres definitely posters on this site who wouldnt have been stupid enough to make the dumb trades that milbury is famous for.

Just because you get paid to do the job, doesnt mean you know how to do it.  That is the corporate world.

Im not saying that all the critics here are qualified to be GM’s, or even that any of the critics here are qualified to be GM’s.  Doesnt mean that all NHL GM’s are qualified to be in their positions either.

Brian Lawton? Mike Milbury? John Ferguson Jr?

There’s a reason GM’s get fired.

63. joeybarrie says:

Some funny things I have been reading….

“There will be a market for goalies in March” There wasn’t a strong market last March. Why would there be one now? Goalie’s unfortunately are not worth what they once were to a team.

“Gainey panicked when he blew up the team”  How?

“Gauthier panicked this year” How?

“Dude, if you are Gauthier, and you know Halak’s value (duh…), and
    the market isn’t there, you don’t trade him. You re-sign him and wait
    till we can get value.”  And let you top scorer walk for nothing. YUP makes alot more sense. Lose Pleks and Eller. Sign both goalies, then get somehwere near Eller when your FORCED to trade one.

“You gotta take boat-anchorage smurf(tm) boy and his $7.5m” Then kiss any play off success good bye.

So frustrating to see so many people talking about players we let go (whit the exception of Halak) when they did CRAP ALL in the play offs. OOOH but their reg season stats in one given week are so good…

The players Gainey gave up are not doing ANYWHERE near as well as the players he brought in as a whole. They team has been more successful. So how can anyone with any common sense or brains bash the moves….?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

64. pic1983 says:

I dont think so.  Hes an opinionated kid who just doesnt know any better and he got taken advantage of by two veteran media personnel who baited him.  Obviously paccioretty is to blame for his comments, but Tony Marinaro didnt shy away from asking the tough questions.

65. WarHero says:

Hey guys .. for those of you who want to see some of Jarred Tinordi:

Ottawa 67’s -vs- London Knights

Tonight: 7:30pm

Rogers Channel 22 (Otawa)

I’ll be live blogging the game. You can view the blog at:

Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

66. mike g says:

I have nothing to say concerning the Habs….

I just wanted to have the top post in this thread.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

67. HUDSONHAB says:

Well, well. Just reading some posts and I see that some things never change for long.

I for one am glad Halak is doing well and hope he wins the Vezina. Having said that, I am also happy with Price and Eller. Hopefully Eller can contribute tonight and the G-men can get it going with AK46.

The pp is not far from being really good again and if we can still do well 5 on 5 I think we will battle for top spot all year long.

I will stay positive… it’s too easy to be negative and negativity and stupidity seem to go hand in glove.

68. smiler2729 says:

Anaheim’s in south Los Angeles. Stupid name, contract ’em out of the league.

69. smiler2729 says:

Pacioretty was talking between beers.

70. CBrady12 says:

I think he was referring to Anaheim even though its not really in northern cali

71. smiler2729 says:

JM is one of the 10 winningest coaches in NHL history…

72. _Habsoloutly_ says:

So were Pacioretty’s comments his way of letting JM know he wants an audition on the GG line?

73. savethepuck says:

And when they apply for their NHL jobs they can attach their posts on this site to their resume. Should be a no brainer for any organization then.

74. bertuzzisucks says:

I think to sum up JM, our Coach. He’s an OK coach, not weak, yet not strong.