Game 13: Canadiens stick it to Sabres

Canadiens’ Carey Price
stops Sabres’ Thomas Vanek Friday night.
Rick
Stewart, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game Blog, Quick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Benoit Pouliot | Jeff Halpern | Carey Price | Mathieu Darche

• At a Glance: The Buffalo Sabres remain winless at home this season after a 3-2 loss to the Canadiens on Friday night, the second time this season that the Canadiens have won in Buffalo. Things started off well for the Sabres, who were able to take the lead twice, but they were both short-lived as the Canadiens fired back within moments. Mike Grier made it 1-0 17:18 into the first period on an odd-man rush as the Canadiens fumbled with the puck in the offensive zone. But Jeff Halpern tied the score 1-1 18:40 into the period which was dominated by the Sabres, who outshot the Canadiens 16-10. In the second period, Jordan Leopold made it 2-1 Sabres after 9:02 played, and this time it took the Canadiens only 46 seconds to reply. Off a faceoff, Mathieu Darche fed the puck to Benoit Pouliot, who slipped it behind Patrick Lalime, who played in place of the injured Ryan Miller. Before the period was over, Pouliot made it 3-2 Montreal with a slapshot from the faceoff circle that went off the post and in behind Lalime. Carey Price, coming off two losses, made 29 saves for his seventh win of the season.

• Key Moments: Both teams failed to take advantage on the power play, with the Canadiens going 0-for-3 and the Sabres going 0-for-4.

• What It Means: The Canadiens snap a two-game losing streak with the win and improve their record to 8-4-1 for 17 points.

• What’s Next: The Ottawa Senators are at the Bell Centre on Saturday night, with a visit from another Canadian team on Tuesday when the Vancouver Canucks come to town. The week continues with a visit to Boston on Thursday and a home date with the Carolina Hurricanes next Saturday.

1. mike g says:

Or…

Maybe PG hates people like you.

Maybe he hates people that find joy in complaining about past events, even though they know that all the b*tching won’t change anything.

So, he makes certain decisions knowing that it will p*ss those types of people off like crazy, and make them go so insane that they think they’re right all the time.

Sounds about right to me…..And it’s working like a charm!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

2. fbkj says:

oh noes D:

grabovski? ribeiro? fatso? ryder? samsonov? i cant think of which one i want back MOAR

3. smiler2729 says:

Who’s Johnston? Eddie??

4. fbkj says:

wtf is chez paris?

5. fbkj says:

in fairness they all blew that play (mostly gomez) but it was spacek who coughed it up

6. observer says:

you think these players are blind and stupid? they all see how gainey/gauthier mishandled one after another like grabovski, ribeiro, latendresse, ryder, even samsonow, now d’agostini – max pac wants out of here i mean AWAY FROM THEM.

7. smiler2729 says:

Why is it Hab fans can never get behind the team they have? Why do they always have to crap on the coach, the GM, the forwards, the defence, the goalies, the beer guy, the hot dog/chien chaud guy, the popcorn lady, the usher, the organist and each other?

Imagine if Boston hadn’t blown a 3-0 lead and Montreal would have beaten the Bruins to advance to the Finals and actually beat Chicago for the Cup… these cyberpages would’ve been filled with the same anti-anything Habs that the Montreal media from the loonies on L’Antichambre (what the hell is an anti room??) to radio call-in “experts” all express.

THERE IS NO WAY TO PLEASE CANADIENS FANS – SPOILED BY SEASON AFTER SEASON OF WINNING IN A SIX TEAM LEAGUE!!!

It’s 2010, there are 30 teams, a salary cap and it’s still hockey, it is what it is so like it or lump it and QUIT THE CONSTANT WHINE!!!!!!!!!!!

8. savethepuck says:

The numbers Johnston had in Pittsburgh before his last start were incredible too.  Do these people think he is an elite goaltender too. We traded the rights of a goaltender that wanted more money than we were willing to pay to a team that had no guarantee of signing him.  And we got 2 good prospects and kept a goaltender that scouting thinks in the long run will be better. Eller was born in May of 1989, my math shows him at only 21 and Schultz is even younger. Could people maybe give them time to develop.

9. fbkj says:

lars ovechkin is gonna prove you wrong

10. LA Loyalist says:

You’re using maroon logic. If aliens took Halak to play in The Uranus League and Price played like crap, Price would still be playing like crap and we would still be complaining bitterly – as is our entitlement as the slobs that pay the tab.

If Halak and Garon throw shut-outs like they were dollar bills to strippers at Chez Paris that’s a reflection on Gainey, not on Price.

If Habs had acquired a stud like Giroux or Getzlaf (not that they were available) or a good draft pick for Halak we might not feel so bad. And it’s not fair to Eller, I acknowledge that, he may turn out ok. But again, that reflects on manglement.

The POINT is that losing to Florida 3-1 and losing to the Cleveland Barons 3-0 is utterly unacceptable. Price has played well, now the rest of the team sucks (and Nomez sucks the most).

Of course we’re frustrated. And when Halak and Garon pitch no-hitters, we feel even worse.

We had better beat Fluffalo, that’s all I can say.

“insert tagline here”

11. mike g says:

Say what you want about JM….

But he’s great at his job. His job, and only job, is to win games. If he does that using Gomez and a kid off the street, so be it.

He’s paid by the Molson’s and was hired by the Habs to win games.

His job isn’t to develop players, that’s the AHL’s job.

The problem with Max is the timing of this situation, and that he was forced into the NHL wayy to early. That’s not JM’s problem, he wasn’t the one who rushed him. You can thank Carbo for that. JM sent Max down this year because he saw he wasn’t ready.

Randy Cunneyworth is paid to develop, JM is paid to win.

If JM’s gonna spend all his time worrying about develloping all our young players, we should just rebuild from scratch. That’s not the situation in MTL right now, so…

That’s how I see it at least.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

12. observer says:

methinks he is saying gauthier got undressed in that trade!

13. Habsrule1 says:

Also in Ottawa.

JM has done a pretty good job with young players in the past. the problem is he can’t win. If he plays the kids and we lose, he’ll get shit on. I do agree he should give some young guys a better shot, but the problem is with contracts of some of the older guys. You’re not going to pay Spacek to sit on the bench. I have a feeling when a couple of these contracts end, the young guys will get a chance.

JM just has to win. He doesn’t have to make the young players, or the fans happy. He did well last year in the playoffs (it was more than just Halak), and he’s done pretty good so far this year. Let’s let things play out before we say he’s the wrong guy for the job.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

14. observer says:

plain and simple! they thought halak was worth more than eller and a junior. as well as thought he was the best goalie the habs had. and it sure seems like they are right. especially after considering gauthiers ineptitude for about 30 years in this league and prior firings.

15. observer says:

yeah right – lalime only has 3 shutouts against the habs(just one of 29 opposing teams).

16. Habs fan in SF says:

man, did you see him screw up that potential break away? then he passes it to gionta who then coughs it up which then led to buffalo’s goal. i love how our huge $$ investment (halpern) had to tie it up (thank god)

17. Habsrule1 says:

Well said.

What I like even more are the people saying the Habs could have gotten more. How do we know what they could have gotten? Is Gauthier’s phone tapped? It also would have made a lot of sense to trade Halak for someone that we could not fit under the cap also, right?

The Habs wanted a very good prospect (low salary now-fit him in later when he earns it), and that’s what they got. Everything I read tells me St. Louis did not want to give us Eller, but they did cause they had no choice.

Halak has 3 shutouts. Garon has 2. Does this mean that they are both absolutely better than Price and always will be cause Price only has 1?

Think people, think.

18. Ron in Ottawa says:

I was out this afternoon listening the The Team 990 in the car. MaxPac was getting a lot of play- was he brutally honest or brutally dumb?

Career wise it was a stupid thing to call out JM in public but MaxPac was simply saying what a lot of people said about JM when he was in Ottawa. he cannot coach younger players. He treated Spezza the same was that MaxPac described: one mistake and you’re benched or on the fourth line.

The Habs have a bunch of exciting younger players coming up who should be top 6 guys. But they won’t learn their craft on the fourth line or if there is a sense that JM is a coach who punishes mistakes rather than guides his young players. i said it at the time, but it was a big mistake to hire JM in Montreal given the make-up of the team. BG put together a bunch of guys who can play run and shoot; JM only thinks about defense and his idea of a blow-out is a 2-1 game.

19. smiler2729 says:

Buddy, can it! We went over all this bullsh*t on the other thread ad nauseum… and it’s mostly a waste of space, let’s get over it and move on.

You want Halak back? Buy a Blues jersey with a big beautiful 41 on it. Here’s where you can yack all you want about him http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=32

20. mike g says:

Have you ever seen Lundqvist in person without equipment?

He’s skinnier than skim milk. Yet with his chest protector on, he’s wider than an 18-wheeler truck.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

21. savethepuck says:

French Canadian keepers haven’t been nice to us but I’ll take facing Lalime instead of Miller anyday.  Buffalo not playing well and we should have the edge in goaltending.  I thought Auld may get another start in this b2b, thought maybe tonight and Carey at home against a Sens team that has started playing well of late. We’ll see

22. rocketsglare says:

What’s the big deal about Halak. We all knew he could play. He proved it here in Montreal. So, I am

not surprised about his success in St. Louis. But, I will not go to the extent of going all season long

and compare stats just to make a point that the wrong or right Habs goaltender was kept.

Price is our man and IMO rightly so and I will support him like I would any other Canadiens player.

It’s O.K. to have an interest in former Habs but not to the degree of tearing down a player or team

just to make IMO pointless arguments. Price is a Habs and Halak is not. End of story.

23. smiler2729 says:

Any hit to the head should be a MAJOR but Thornton’s shoulder kinda rode up the little guy’s shoulder and grazed his neck – and that’s a HEAD SHOT???

As for goalie equipment, don’t get me started, and I’m a goalie (who can’t afford all the fancy new massive equipment that has bells, whistles, straps, laces, computer chips in ‘em). These guys are more Allaire trained butterfly robots that play angles rather reflex goalies that actually make saves.

Is it me or is J-S Giguere SpongeBob in a Lacrosse suit?

24. mike g says:

It’s not the hit that should be punished..

It’s the poor judgement of a grown man. Thornton knew damn well that Perron had his head turned, and knew that it was a blindside hit.

And when Thornton made up his mind that he was gonna lay the shoulder on him, while he knew Perron was helpless, that’s what should be suspended.

Poor judgement.

And what makes it even worse is that it’s been the #1 talked about issue in the NHL for a year now, yet a captain of an NHL team is getting caught playing stupid.

5 games, show the example, NHL….You want these hits to stop, well make them stop.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

25. fbkj says:

wait… so your saying halak is doing better than eller?

26. smiler2729 says:

Denis Lemieux: “Who own de Abs?”

Ned Braden: “Owns! Owns! Who OWNS the Habs?”

Denis Lemieux, mockingly: “OWNS-A! OWNS-A!”

I think the Molsons OWN the Habs, not Gary’s World…

27. mike g says:

Yea….

What piss*s me off is that the NHL creates new rules every year to try and eliminate the new trends in the NHL. And when they don’t know how to solve it, they create an even dumber rule. This year they created the blindside/head shot rule, intended to eliminate these exact hits that were seeing every night.

And what makes me laugh is that they created this rule after how many blindside/head shots happened last year, 5 or 6 of them?

This year, with a rule in-place to eliminate these actions, were 12 games into the season and theres already been double of what happened last year.

So, the rule isn’t working, and I’m 100% certain it’s because guys know they can do it and not miss much time themselves. If I’m in a 7 game series, I’ll send my 4th liner to do that to Ovechkin, why not? He’ll get suspended for 2 games, when I don’t even need him, and OVI will be gone with a concussion.

But, that’s the NHL. Now next year, they’ll probably draw lines on the ice and say that those are no-contact zones or something. Either that or they’ll make open ice-hits illegal. They’ll create yet another stupidity simply because they can’t solve their problems the right way.

All they’re doing is ruining the game.

And this all started with eliminating the clutching and grabbing. When they did that, the NHL game became 50% faster, and it’s reached such a high speed that these ugly incidents are gonna happen simply because humans can’t react that fast. And why did they eliminate clutching and grabbing? Because attendance was down due to goalscoring being at an all-time low. Games were too boring, so they had to create power-plays. Once again changing a game for nothing.

In the end all they had to do was reduce the size of goaltenders equipment.

Scoring would have increased, the game speed would have been regulated and safe, and you would have guys falling down with a concussion on a daily basis.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. surprise says:

Halak gets another shutout…

and Eller still hasn’t scored.

wow.

29. smiler2729 says:

No sh*t, I got him in my pool. I saw the hit, I’ve seen WAY worse, in fact, I hardly doubt Thornton (6’4″) was even aiming for shortcake Davey Perron’s head.

Perron didn’t miss a shift and scored after JT was turfed.

Bettman’s a joke, the NHL is bush and Campbell’s an idiot.

30. CHCanadien says:

Gomez sucks!

31. Mattyleg says:

HEY!!

Are we going to get nametags??

Like with our Avatars on them?

Eh??

Should I make mine?

Hello?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Mattyleg says:

I’ll be there.

And I agree about that note of protocol.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. sholi2000.com says:

All Summit Pers, Ian is in room 507

I’m in 413

They Call Me Shane

34. kmachabs27 says:

Woww…..Halak is on fireeee………just sayin.

35. Mattyleg says:

What bugs me the most is that it dawned on me the other day that the NHL OWNS the Habs. They OWN the club.

I think that’s pathetic. Just like how they OWN the Stanley Cup.

How did such a poorly-run pile of pencil-pushing hicks manage that??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Mattyleg says:

I’m sure I can get some of the old-timers to hang out a bit after the game.

If we win, it’ll be easy.

If we lose, I might be the first out outta there.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. mike g says:

2 games for Thornton…

What a f’kin joke the NHL is.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

38. mike g says:

Yea, makes sense….

I just didn’t wanna drive all the way downtown and get there at 1030, and all of you guys are gone.

That would suck, Spacek-like suck.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

39. SmartDog says:

Look forward to seeing you there.   Might stay after for a bit but not for too long.  Trying to squeeze a few things in downtown this week-end as well as most of the summit activities.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

40. rocketsglare says:

Just win baby!

41. mike g says:

You guys think you’re staying late tonight?

Or is everyone hitting the sack early? I won’t be able to make it for the game, but I can afterwards…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

42. SmartDog says:

A lot of optimism about the Habs tonight.  And the beer isn’t even flowing yet!

See y’all at the summit.

PS: A note of protocol: Gomerites, you’re not allowed to punch people who’ve disagreed with you about the value of our 3-point “first line center”, but you can buy them a conciliatory beer!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

43. mike g says:

I don’t like it, try again please….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. fuhgawz says:

everyone’s predictions seem close but i had a vision.

Habs win 5-0 on 10 shots Price will face 80

45. fbkj says:

its an equal jump to say someone said something stupid on twitter therefore its fact

as for sportsnet and score coverage, they too, were talking about the tweets

edit: if i get accused again of being anti halak after this exchange im running into oncomming traffic

46. TomNickle says:

When Halak was asked by Elliote Friedman following the Oilers game last year he said that he wasn’t going to discuss what his agent and Bob Gainey were discussing.

If you didn’t request a trade.  That’s a perfect time to say that you didn’t, since you’re being asked.

Alan Walsh is employed by Halak.  Walsh is a douchebag, Halak is not, but if that were my agent it would have been the last day that he would’ve been employed by me for anything, be it public relations, contract negotiations or otherwise.

47. Clay4bc says:

nice to have you aboard.

__________________________

Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.

– Bertrand Russell

48. fbkj says:

halak never asked for a trade, its easy to write him off that way

but walsh being a schmuck does not mean halak was feeding him his lines

have you ever read walsh’s tweets? hes insufferable

49. fbkj says:

double post *whistles*

50. fbkj says:

1. You don’t give up an asset with out getting comparable or
    hopefully better value. Eller was not value – he was a future
    consideration

you also dont risk losing an asset without ANY compensation and if you dont see future consideration as value then thats your opinion, if you could please refrain from stating that its fact that would rock

2. If Halak had to be traded, we should have signed
    Price first. We could very easily have ended up with neither of them.
    And we are DAMN LUCKY Price got his head out of his ass. He’s played
    well.

fundamentally i wont disagree with this BUT, price was the least pressing concern in the halak, plekanek, price conundrum

3. If Halak had to be traded, and the market wasn’t good, we should have figured a way to wait until the market was better.

and when would that be? when july 1st hits and teams start throwing offers halak’s way?

4. The assumption that we would have lost Plex is pure speculation that has been repeated so much as to become orthodoxy.

yet you do little to refute it other than just stating otherwise, you might as well be plugging your ears and going “LALALALALALALALA”

5. My final point: this team won’t win squat while Nomex is on it. He was -6 in the playoffs last year.

while im not happy with his play this year, he was the only hab to bring it against philly so

51. TomNickle says:

Getting anything for a 9th round pick is good asset management.

Considering we got a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder for a 9th rounder, we did great.

Gauthier also happened to get those assets for a player who didn’t wish to be a part of the organization any longer.  And you can debate the term asset all you want, but a player whose representative publicly taunts organizations and its players and management around the NHL becomes much less of an asset over time.

Trading a 5th overall pick for a 1st and a 3rd isn’t necessarily bad asset management, but it isn’t nearly as good as a 9th rounder for a 1st and 3rd.

52. LA Loyalist says:

Sheesh go finish CEGEP and maybe you’ll understand. Business 101:

1. You don’t give up an asset with out getting comparable or hopefully better value. Eller was not value – he was a future consideration

2. If Halak had to be traded, we should have signed Price first. We could very easily have ended up with neither of them. And we are DAMN LUCKY Price got his head out of his ass. He’s played well.

My head hurts.

53. WarHero says:

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the man :) i am looking forward to meeting him :)

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

54. TomNickle says:

It’s quite a jump to go from, don’t follow twitter too seriously to Halak didn’t request a trade.

It was also reported by Sportsnet and the Score following the playoffs that he or Walsh requested one again.

55. fbkj says:

you just drew the shortest straw,; geographically you live closest to nunacanadian, its now your mission to deliver him an atomic wedgie

god speed chris

56. Chris79 says:

Sure is …

Thx..

57. fbkj says:

life without talking points is for commie liberals

better?

58. punkster says:

Could ya dial back the rhetoric there? Sheesh!

59. TomNickle says:

Yeah I did.  I’ve met him twice.  Once at a charity dinner and once he scouted a goaltender of mine who currently plays in the ecac league that Louis Leblanc just left.

Very nice man.  Loves to talk hockey, go figure eh.

60. punkster says:

Wow Chris. I had to google Chisasibi. Must be beautiful out there.

Welcome!

61. fbkj says:

i didnt say to pass it off as a joke, im just saying that you shouldnt hold a medium that has a 140 character count limit as gospel

its twitter

62. WarHero says:

If you mean the 67’s games, I am not sure, Haven’t met the man yet :( Hope to very soon :)

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

63. TomNickle says:

Brian Kilrea been attending games?

64. WarHero says:

Welcome to HIO :)

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

65. Chris79 says:

First time posting, long time reader….

Just like to say hello first to everyone…

66. TomNickle says:

I don’t know that we could have done better in peddling an inconsistent and often injured player in Higgins, an unheralded prospect in Valentenko and a supposed blue chip prospect in McDonagh.

Again, the only way I see that deal as bad is if we could’ve had Brad Richards for the same price.

67. TomNickle says:

Spending to the cap every season since the lockout is an indication that they’re doing what they can to win a Cup.

Not sacrificing draft picks and prospects for rentals is an indication that they want to win the cup in the future.

Acquiring and trading players that you don’t want acquired or traded isn’t an indication that they don’t want to.

68. Mikey_39 says:

Sorry, I should have said practically immovable.  It’s not just about the cap space.  It’s also about who wants to pay 8 mil for a 60 pointer, when you use that kind of money for better players.  I’m not saying Gomez is not a good player.  When it comes to getting into the opponents zone I think he’s one of the best in the NHL.

Look all I’m saying is that at the time, I think we could have gotten more to take Gomez’s contract of the Rangers hands, that’s all

69. fbkj says:

where on the shore?

edit: googled it nvmnd

past st-constant… thats some sticks

70. fbkj says:

nah

they all suck

71. SmartDog says:

Frustrating. I keep hearing defenses of questionable decisions that sound a like a code.  The code made Laraque a useless waste of cap space and now these ‘codes’ have us by the balls.  Can’t sit Gomez for a period – oh my, he’s your highest paid player!  Can’t move Gio down a line for a game – he’s your Captain for peter, mary, and joseph sakes!

The code that got Chelios shipped out long ago still lives on. I guess the code is now saying that MaxPac needs to be shipped out for whatever we can get for him.  It’s all bullcrap.  Smart teams play fair but they don’t let their hands be tied by rules that are going to screw them.

I’m not saying that they should have signed and traded Halak, (though
    if we didn’t have Gomez we’d been in a sweet position to keep our two
    strong young goalies), just that all this code crap is so much bullpucky.

Worried about what people will say about the Habs organization? I have a RADICAL idea! How about if word gets around about the Habs that they are REALLY FREAKIN’ dedicated to drinking from the G-D Stanely cup and they’ll do anything they can do get there.  How bad would that be?   Would players run from being a part of that system?   This gentlemen’s rules as the only rule stuff is history. And so are the Habs as a Stanely Cup team.  Literally – now 17 years and counting.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

72. observer says:

Goon horse racing jockeys now! don cherry will be proud! todays breeders cup races – calvin borel.

73. TomNickle says:

That contract is not immovable.  Not even close.

We’re able to afford it.

There are currently 10 teams in the NHL who could afford that contract without sending salary back.

We got two good players, they got cap room, which they immediately squandered.

74. fbkj says:

man i wish i could have made it

cheers to all you guys

75. habs_1993 says:

Haha, i guess (:

76. LA Loyalist says:

Can nomez gracefully retire?
    Or trade him to leafs who theoretically need someone to get Kessel the puck – what do we get? We get to laugh at Burke :) and 7.5$ to spend

Nice how nomez lost offensive zone face off w 1:24 left and couldn’t even tie up his man.

With the exception of two biggest money wasters in hockey, I thought pretty much everybody played a very solid game. Pouliot was awesome, especially on that sequence right after 2 on 1 where he was going for a hat-trick. He battled 2 players to keep the puck in the Sabres’ zone. That play alone showed more heart than Gionta and Gomez put in the entire season so far.

I also liked the Camm, Moen and Boyd line which I think was put together in the 3rd.

Anyway… I suppose all the summit folks are pi$$ drunk at this point so probably on their 3rd or 4th lap dance of the night.

Tomorrow’s game should be a dandy against all of a sudden surging Janitors.

78. LA Loyalist says:

Important win on road – hope this gives poo confidence

Winning ugly is still winning

79. christophor says:

Jeff Halpern: Art Ross, Hart, Selke … Vezina.

What a bargain!

Yup. He has been decent this season. Much better work ethic and 100% better playing away from the puck.

Quite frankly I thought it was going to be Price, O’Byrne, MAB

82. since1988 says:

I am so going to make it to a summit one year

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

What… no strippers?

84. Mattyleg says:

Mine is the bald pate in photo #4.

Beneath dwells the hamster and wheel…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

85. Mattyleg says:

Didn’t see you at the summit…

Must not have put on your nametag, eh?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

86. Mattyleg says:

Good fun at the Summit tonight, boys and girls.

Good to be able to put faces to avatars now.

Sadly, some were missed. Some Montreal posters didn’t come out, which I thought a bit shoddy.

But good fun overall! It’s ’cause of us we won!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

87. andrewberkshire says:

Gotta love winning.

88. savethepuck says:

Wtf is Mathieu Darche doing being in our starting lineup and not in the press box.  All he is is a French Canadian hockey player who is proud to play fotr the Montreal Canadiens and out hustles everyone else on the ice. ( Sarcasm btw)

89. Bugs says:

Me there? You nuts?

With the only one wearing any pants, I woulda stuck out like a sore thumb.

Haw!

Workin actually. Hope you all had a brew to my name and a laugh at my expense.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

90. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh… so, he doesn’t hustle, or… huh?

Not clear. You may not have noticed, but sarcasm works poorly on The Internets.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

91. Bugs says:

Honestly, though, I thought that kid wasn’t too bad. Have to check the sheet to be sure, but I think he also scored a goal. Name escapes me at the moment. Feel a little silly about it, truth be told.

Also kinda kicking myself for not having paid him more mind up til now. Cuz he ain’t bad.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

92. Propwash says:

I ain’t far behind you Matty, lol. All my hair seems to be migrating

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

93. savethepuck says:

I live in NB, 8 hours farther than Montreal.  Hope everyone in that part of the country enjoyed the game.  It was like watching a game on RDS in Ottawa with all the HABS fans there

94. Bugs says:

There once was a Habber named Darche

Who was fodder to snappers quite harsh;

Yet post-derring-do,

Whatever can they do

But shove some crow up their arshe?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

95. rocketsglare says:

5 takes from tonight’s game 1) Price was spectacular, 2) the Darche-Halpern-Pouliot line was buzzing all

night, 3) the PK continues to impress, 4) the PP continues to rank, and 5) Gionta and Gomez looked more

energetic and engaged tonight.

My concern continues to be the number of wide shots from in close and the blown odd-man rushes due to

over passing. Props to the team for coming on after a very slow start but the lack of scoring from the top 2

lines is beginning to concern me now. If it were not for the heroics of Darche, Halpern, and Pouliot and the

sick play of Price, the results tonight might have been very different.

The Habs were indeed in a dog fight and found a way to win tonight. Props to the team. But, tonight’s game

showed a team still struggling to score and relying on their goaltender to much for the win. I guess old hab-

its die hard with this team.

Tomorrow night will be another difficult game against a better team. I hope the team finds their legs early

and often and can find their scoring touch and not leave it to Price and the 3rd line again.

Will see tomorrow night.

96. habrez says:

The Hamilton Bulldogs are in first place with a 7-1-3 record without last years MVP PK.

Guy Boucher who?

97. observer says:

From thoroughbred to workhorse.

TSN – – – – “It also helped that the Canadiens had workhorse goalie Carey Price in net for the 12th time this season. Price made 29 saves — including 15 in the first period when Montreal escaped with a 1-1 tie — to help the Canadiens improve to 8-4-1 and snap a two-game losing streak.

“He was phenomenal,” Halpern said. “His rebound control was excellent, and he smothered the puck when he had to. He’s giving us a chance to win every night.”

98. observer says:

Darche makes half a million, Halperin not muchmore Pouliot shouldnt even be raised off last years finish – the problem is not them but the guys raking in big bucks contributing little. Both on defense and the $7 million dollar level, etc.

99. observer says:

about time #4 and #5 of the 2005 draft finally played how they were projected to play.

100. Propwash says:

Price is doing the things that makes him an elite goalie, the problem is, nobody sees that and wants instant results.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

101. Everlasting1 says:

I suppose that makes Cunneyworth the front-runner as next Habs’ coach should no other team need/acquire his services.

102. Bugs says:

Yeah, and at the instant, we’re gettin’em.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

103. SeriousFan09 says:

Even with the Summit on my plate and a secret project in the works, I still find time to give you guys prospect Love.

Bulldogs Update:

Hamilton Bulldogs did fine under the bright lights of the Bell Centre, skating to a 5-2 win over the Binghamton Senators with goals by D Mathieu Carle (his 3rd of the week!), C Ryan White had his first for the season, D Yannick Weber had his 7th (to lead all AHL Ds in goals), than EN insurance markers by both C Andreas Engqvist and C David Desharnais to seal it. RW Palushaj added two more assists to his scoring streak, RW Max Pacioretty’s 3-game point streak snapped, C Ben Maxwell picked up an assist.

Juniors:

MTL Junior Louis Leblanc had his 10th goal of the season and notched an assist in a 5-4 SO win over the Quebec Ramparts, LW Phillippe Lefebvre had an assist as well. Leblanc did not score in the SO however, but since he’s already got two SO winners on his record this season, whatever :)

D Morgan Ellis had a goal for Cape Breton in a 7-2 loss to Saint John.

D Jarred Tinordi’s London Knights dropped a 4-3 game to the Ottawa 67s in the shootout, he was a -2 on the night,

RW Brendan Gallagher of the VAN Giants continues his scoring pace, his 17th goal of the season in 19GP in a 4-3 loss to the Kelowna Rockets.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

104. OverseasFan says:

While I’m definitely happy for the win, I’m a little concerned that
    we’re just barely squeaking by against a team that is dead-last in the
    league. I hope for the best when we go against the big boys.

105. Mikey_39 says:

Lol to number 4.  But I have disagree with you.  Gomez did not look more energetic, in fact, it’s actually getting frustrating.  What frustrates me isn’t the lack of production with him, it’s more how he looks like doesn’t give a shit out there.  There’s no heart and grit in his game.

106. DavidKB says:

I know there are some bad teams, but not all teams with bad records are bad teams. There are the teams who are missing some key players. This has got to be a bummer for a GM and coach. If in every game, everybody gives it their best then you’re going to catch some teams napping. I suspect that, regardless of what players or coaches say about preparing for each game, the fact that you are about to play a team with one of the worst records has to have some impact on your own level of energy and focus. The reverse seems to be true and we only have to look back to last spring to confirm it.
    I think we will see our team compete just fine and win their share against the “big boys” , and, think of it this way: They only have to win one game, as long as it’s the last game of the season, including the playoffs, of course. “One game at a time.” – I don’t know who came up with this phrase but it seems to need quotation marks.
    Ottawa next. Hope back to back doesn’t get them this time. Maybe the schedule should require that back to back nights only be against teams that are also playing back to back.

107. gloveside says:

I’d say 4 years of waiting is not wanting instant results.

108. gloveside says:

Gomez was in the line-up tonight?

109. gloveside says:

Gomez was in the line-up tonight?

110. andrewberkshire says:

It’s been 3 years, and with a goalie his age, expecting anything more than he’s delivered is ridiculous.

111. W35T5ID3 says:

He may be small but i think Gallagher will score in the NHL and light it up like he has in the WHL.He’s gonna turn out to be a steal in that draft.

112. Mike D says:

How is it that Gionta was playing in Buffalo AND watching the game at Hurley’s? (3rd pic).

What’s he a magician?  Hey Gio, use that magic to pot a few, would ya Cap.

- Honestly yours

113. OverseasFan says:

I agree. So he’s not the Second Coming of Patrick Roy. He’s doing a pretty good job.

114. montrealtilldeath says:

Noticed 4 or 5 games ago that he seems to have discovered his big body. If you run the game tapes you will see him finishing his checks hard amd forechecking hard. It was this line that stopped the continuous 3 on 2 Buffalo breakouts that were occuring in the first period with their hard forechecking. Big man, soft hands, forecheck hard, score goals. Hockey is not a complicated game. They finally got the right amount of ice time. I like what Sam Mitchell (the ex coach of the Raptors) used to say when asked why some of his high priced help was warming the bench. He said Ì play those that come to play.

115. TomNickle says:

Wonder if Pierre Gauthier is considering taking Gallagher out of junior this season at some point.

A goal per game in the WHL is dominant.

116. SeriousFan09 says:

I highly doubt it, it’s damn good I agree but the kid needs to build up his skating and make sure he fills out his frame as much as possible before he hits the NHL, this is only his 3rd WHL season and as much as I enjoy his stats, much like Eberle (Who was quite dominant himself) he’s likely got at least 2 years to spend there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

117. CHHockeywife0996 says:

I get your Sarcasm …..! I have been a Darche fan since he played in Syracuse . I agree he is a hockey player who is proud to play for the Montreal Canadiens and out hustles everyone else on the ice and gives 110% each shift !

118. Everlasting1 says:

Gomez – 0 points, 0 shots, -2..the man is dead weight. This keeps up he’ll be a crutch for years to come.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin Don’t pollute the water.

119. Puck Bard says:

Van-Bost-Canes: hate that. Hope they don’t cave.

120. nastyHABit says:

Good Game Carey….Well Done

121. Puck Bard says:

I would appreciate a little discussion on Gomez here. Not looking to humiliate anyone, just want to know some of the hard-liners’ feelings. Thx.

I will weigh in first: I don’t know what to do with Gomez.

Next?

122. Seps says:

I personally think we should put him on waivers or trade him for a 5th round pick to get rid of his contract because I think we’re that 7 million dollar cap hit away from being one of the more elite teams in the league.  I know it’s ruthless and that’s why alot of people don’t agree with that idea.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

123. Everlasting1 says:

The crux of the crutch? I don’t know either. He’s a thorn in our side, but he’s our thorn lol

124. habs_1993 says:

Awesome Win, Price played really great, as he has been all season.

Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta (the Little 3) better get going soon

Good for the PhD line, new number 1 line? they are all doing great, dont sepereate them

I really hope Eller starts playing better, I really want him to succeed in Montreal,

125. 123456 says:

first – i missed the game until the last 5 minsd as i was at the local AHL game

second – yes gomez contract is huge and yes overpaid for his performance to date

third – did you notice who was on the ice with a minute left and totally bottled up the sabres? (hint – he is a thorn in some sides)

126. Rugger says:

Okay, raise your hands everyone who thought after 13 games the top for in Habs scoring would be:

Pleks

AK

Halpern

Poulet

Yeah, neither did I.

127. Bugs says:

Well, watched the game tonight. And apart from the Kid giving another stellar performance, something else occurred to me afterward; don’t know if any’o’yehs mighta noticed it too.

That kid wearin num57?

Not half bad in my opinion.

I think I may keep my eye on’m in the future.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

128. slapshot777 says:

One thing that stuck out tonight and I don’t know what the players were thinking, but here the Habs haven’t scored in two straight games and our defensmen are pinching and getting caught giving up way to many odd man rushes. Tonights game looked like a preseason game. You had players going where they were not suppose to go and the defense so screwed up they had a hard job making a pass to one another.

Main thing tonight we won and that’s two points. Let’s hope Plekanec will be in the lineup on Saturday. Eller is not ready for top line minutes just yet. saw way to many turnovers in our own zone, not just Eller either there were a few players, even Markov coughed it up.

Price won this game, if not for his stellar play early, Buffalo would have probably got their first win at home. The Habs got to know that Buffalo is going to come out hard, yet the Habs come out flat. Can’t do that on a consistant basis or else they will end up on the wrong side of the win/loss column.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

129. otter649 says:

Not sure what the faceoff numbers were but it looked like The Habs did not do well on the faceoff dot tonite – Although the second Montreal goal was a result of losing the faceoff………lol

130. 123456 says:

i would move gomez for a 5th pick in a heart beat if teh habs had a second trade lined up to get a #2 center. putting aside all historic trades – would u take gomez and his contract? i currently would not… if i were a bottom team with tons of cap space i’d take gomez and a mid first round in exchange for a 5th and a prospect going no place….

131. Everlasting1 says:

Soo what you’re sayin’ is..the coach should go too?

132. Bugs says:

YOU want Eller to succeed in Mtl? YOU want??? Hey, we ALL want Eller to succeed in Mtl. In fact, I would hope amidst all of us wanting, Gauthier wants it the MOST.

None of us wants to look like Mickey Mouse with his pants pulled down for what we gave up for him.

Honestly…

Spuriously furious, I swear as

133. JF says:

Your boy had a great game and is actually having a good season.  Even when he wasn’t scoring, he was playing hard and was much more physical than last year.  Perhaps Martin knew what he was doing taking him off the Gomez.  He looks comfortable with Halpern and Darche, who seem to have good chemistry, perhaps from their days in Tampa.

134. RiverviewCanadien says:

Posted on the No Pleks, no problem thread (which I don’t like the title of…uh huh).

Submitted by RiverviewCanadien on Fri, 11/05/2010 – 22:31.

Don’t like the title of the thread, but love the PhD name. Brilliant Booner.

Crazy game, PP still sucks though, Markov is getting back to game.

Price is having a better time away from home. He is playing really tight on the road. I wonder if, might it have to do with the fans at the Bell when he is scored on. Is it just me or does he shake it off better away from the ‘Faithful’?

Anyways, what the hell is up with the top 6? Pleks is the reason any of the top 6 have more than 4 pts. Unreal the snakebite of Gomez, Capt. Gionta, and Cammalleri. Eller did not fit in tonight either.

Pouliot…what can you say, Halpern, Darche…Lights out hockey.

135. Bugs says:

Now, do Gionta and Cammy.

One game equals their overall 82-game output, yes? What happens tonight is an EXACT microcosm of what happens when it’s all on the line too.

Right, Evie?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

136. Bugs says:

Martin didn’t “take him off” the Gomie and Gio line; he took Gio and Gomie offa HIS.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

137. punkster says:

Subtlety is good.

138. RiverviewCanadien says:

hehe

139. Seps says:

Very true, that’s why I suggested the minors as well haha.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

140. RiverviewCanadien says:

Excellent post Sir L.Bugs Potter…

141. Propwash says:

Pics from Hurley’s coming soon! Apologise in advance for lousy quality,
    they were taken from my Blackberry and the room was dark.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

142. 123456 says:

gomez is a good player but currently (lets not argue if ever) not playing up to his big contract – i’d be more than happy if he played like a $5M guy – lol. instead of b!tching i’ll support he and gionta and picture thigns when these guys start to get going (and the PP too).

143. savethepuck says:

Thank you Carey. Thank you Poulie Halpern and Darche ( was that supposed to be our 3rd or 4th line tonight? we were 0 for on the pp again but it doesn’t bother me when we get the W. Tomorrow at home against the Sens with a W puts us back in the top running

144. 123456 says:

let me know when u have pics from the late night clubs (or gentlemens clubs if u wish)

srsly hope all at the summit are and will continue to have a great time

145. Everlasting1 says:

Riight..

Now where did I leave that spray..

;-)

146. observer says:

Habs sure play better when they try to!

147. Everlasting1 says:

Not b!tching..he’s not my thorn..just saying.

148. WindsorHab-10 says:

Even though we tied it at 2-2, this team so far SUCKS.

149. Everlasting1 says:

Ik dawg

150. Everlasting1 says:

Trollburgers are not in my diet.

151. fbkj says:

zing, ouch, its t3h burn4ge

ps: i was kidding, chill out rain man

152. rocketsglare says:

JoeC, even I think this is a good game to watch and I am a huge Habs fan. There is nothing wrong

in stating a fact. Boston and St. Louis happen to be 2 good teams. But, I will be cheering for Boston

to lose tonight and not because Halak is playing, but because Boston is in our division and I have no

love for the Bruins.

153. LA Loyalist says:

Well good morning to you, too, Sir! Did someone not get a prize in their cereal this morning?

Don’t you realize a Boston loss (any Boston loss, ever) is good for us?

Go Halak!!

“the beatings will continue until morale improves” (test tagline)

154. Maksimir says:

In Eller We Trust.

155. lenny says:

Gomez where are you….I wish JM had the balls to put him on the 4th line….

156. habs365 says:

you won’t see that happen, he’s getting the big bucks, that would look bad

157. BJ says:

We have had a hard time against French Canadian goalies hope Lalime doesn’t stick it to us also.

158. Maksimir says:

Yeah that worries me – Buffalo is due for a good game, Quebec goalies always seem to screw over the Habs.. and they haven’t been playing too great lately.. we’ll see I guess.

159. Ed says:

In his career, Lalime has 17 wins, 8 losses, 2 ties, & 1 OT loss against Montreal. He has definitely done well against the Canadiens.

160. observer says:

on the other hand slovakian goalies play great for the habs. BUT management doesn’t appreciate it.

161. smiler2729 says:

Habs 6 Sabres 1

1st Period

MTL- Gionta 2 (Gomez, Markov) 0:07

MTL- Gionta 3 (Gomez, Kostitsyn) 0:14

MTL- Gionta 4 (Gomez) 0:20

2nd Period

MTL- Cammalleri 3 (pp) (Eller, Subban) 11:29

MTL- Gomez 2 (pp) (Gionta, Gorges) 19:59

3rd Period

MTL- Gionta 5 (Gomez, Eller) 10:04

BUF- Rivet 1 (unassisted) 19:59 *Spacek scores on own goal)

SOG

MTL 15-20-10- 45

BUF 12-2-10- 24

162. shiram says:

Well thats a nice positive thougth, and i would love to see it realized!

Kinda wishful thinking though.

163. JasonM says:

You had me until Gomez scored his goal.

164. Say Ash says:

You forgot the Hal Gill breakaway.

165. Everlasting1 says:

Is this a typical weekday for you? j/k

166. Hobie Hansen says:

19:59: LOL

167. light_n_tasty says:

Gomez is just terrible.  His contract is terrible.  His faceoffs are terrible.  His turnovers are terrible.  His back-checking is terrible. I miss Saku when I see the 11.  And Saku was just average.  But compared to Gomez, he’s a superstar.

168. W35T5ID3 says:

Gomez’s value to the team is when the playoffs start……he’s got the rings to prove it.

169. W35T5ID3 says:

Call me a biased hab fan or whatever but in my opinion Carey Price has been the best goalie in the league this season…so far.If not the best certainly a top 3 goalie thus far into the season.

Hell i’m going out there and saying he’s gonna win the Vezina.Ya i said it,the Vezina….

……Remember where ya heard it folks.

170. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I would argue that Thomas, Vokoun, Halak and Lundqvist have been a lot better.

But Price is up there in top 10.

I think the Vezina finalists will be Vokoun, Lundqvist and Halak. Just sayin’.

171. MontrealAtheist says:

You are biased … Price has been average at best and during all our wins he was an obstacle that we needed to overcome in order to get that W. I would argue that with Halak we would have had a few more wins thus far. I mean just look at the Blues, they can score 1-2 goals a game and get a win because of their excellent goaltender. I’m just sayin’.

172. gloveside says:

You are not only biased, you are dreaming. While I appreciate your blind single-minded support for our team and their players, be realistic. He has barely even been a top 15 goalie [see below].

173. Matthew says:

Were most of those games were played when he was with Ottawa?

174. HabsoluteFan says:

It would look bad and it wouldnt give any results.  You think he would produce more while playing with darche and lapierre ? Those guys are still trying, the points arent racking up that’s all.

175. HabsTrueBlue says:

or perhaps JM just thinks that putting him on the 4th line is stupid!

176. shiram says:

Not to mention reduced ice time in which to produce… although maybe being on a lesser line would pit him against lesser defenders as well..

177. db says:

Are there waivers during the playoffs?

178. Adam says:

Well, I missed tonight’s game. However, I did manage to catch a game in person, and I have to say, I was amazed by how much fun I had. The Concordia Stingers took down the Ryerson Rams, 3-1. I’d never been to a University game before, and was impressed by the skill level. Both goalies had fine games, made some amazing saves. The game also had more hard hits than I’ve seen in the NHL in quite a while. So, this might have been my first time, but it definitely won’t be my last. I recommend everyone try and catch a game during the season. It’s cheap, and really good hockey.

179. Mike D says:

I can’t believe you guys both left out Jonathan Quick!  He’s been pretty steadily lights out so far this season.  Quick, Halak, and Thomas (even though he got pulled tonight) are my guesses for Vezina candidates atm.

Carey’s playing has been pretty damn good though so I definetely haven’t ruled him out of the race.

- Honestly yours

180. andrewberkshire says:

Gotta say Harditya, Vokoun has been utter crap. He’s had a few good games, and a lot more stinkers. I’ve been watching him sink two of my fantasy teams.

181. observer says:

you can’t include halak in that conversation anymore? the question is don’t you think it is now time to rename this vezina award to the jaroslav halak trophy?

182. Everlasting1 says:

Curious to see who gets the calls in nets for the mid-season All-Star game this year!

183. rocketsglare says:

Plekanec or no Plekanec tonight, this team has to suck it up and play inspired hockey tonight because

the Sabres are going to be up for this game. They have something to prove and are going to give the

Habs one hard fought game.

This could get ugly and soon if the Habs are not ready to play. But, if the team is ready and willing to

accept the challenge of a determined Sabres team and outhustle, outhit, and simply outwork the other

side, then I see a comfortable team win tonight.

184. VancouverHab says:

The psychopathology of H-I/O posters

Gionta has one goal, Cammi has three. So we direct our anger at lack of production toward …. Scott Gomez alone.

Dr. Freud: keep your appointment book open.

185. Da Hema says:

Good point. Expecting Gomez to score is like expecting Plekanec to fight. Gionta and Cammilleri need to produce.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

186. andrewberkshire says:

Perhaps if Gomez were excelling in any other facet of the game that would be a valid point. However he single handedly caused both goals against last night, isn’t creating high end chances for his linemates, and can’t take advantage of chances when he’s afforded them. He needs to wake up and realize the season has started.

187. New says:

I think Gomez is getting off lightly. That breakaway then turn left for example. If that had been O’Byrne he would be lynched. Likewise blowing coverage on the next two goals. Pressure has got to a highly skilled player.

Gomez just needs to get his act together. Gionta has a bucket of shots. He didn’t carry the puck down there and to take them.

Left towards the defender chasing you on a breakaway. Don’t see that all that often. Would have made the highlight reel if about 200 other things had happened to make the plan work. Someone needs to work on their VO2.

188. Aaron13 says:

Gomez shows no drive on the ice. Poor cross-ice passes and fading into the low-percentage shot zones along the boards. Think again fool.

189. Da Hema says:

Folks: The Habs won, and the Leafs are free falling in the standings.

Life is good.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

190. Everlasting1 says:

And Voldemort is off to a great start :-)

191. MontrealAtheist says:

It’s Halak vs. Tim Tomas tonight when the Blues take on the B’s … This will be good !!!

192. Everlasting1 says:

It’s a showdown.

Kinda puzzled why the B’s yanked Thomas after the 2nd period in their previous game. Played Rask to take the loss?? Hmm.

193. JoeC says:

I honetly wish you would get bitten by that scorpion and be paralized so you couldnt type your crap all over these boards.  Go cheer on St Louis im really sick of even just seeing you.

194. WindsorHab-10 says:

Price has been average at best?

Get the hell off this sight and stay away from the kool-aid. You are a McGuire, a Pierre McGuire that is. Carey Price has the least goal support among all starting goalies in the league.

195. observer says:

like gary carter or andre dawson – will halak go into the hall of fame with a habs uni?

196. Mike D says:

“Price has been average at best”?

Huh?  Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

- Honestly yours

197. NoTinFoilCups says:

Were you bitten by that scorpion?

198. gloveside says:

Price’s stats to date – 21st in SV%; 13th in GAA and 15th in Winning% [this morning on nhl.com]. Out of 30 starting goalies, he’s as average as they come.

199. observer says:

gomez started off last season rather slowly and poorly but was a serious factor all the way down the stretch. it’s a long season.

200. mike g says:

Alright, since everyone’s been waiting….

PREDICTION TIME

Tonight,….tonight……hhmmmmm….Habs win in shootout.

Gotta say it’s gonna be a close game, 2-2 or 3-3, with one of the teams tying it late in the 3rd.

Then in SO, Habs send Cammy who roofs it. Markov does his backhand between the legs (which the ladies love), and it’s game over.

Buf makes Vanek shoot (he scores), Roy misses the net, and in the end Pomminville tries to go 5-hole but Price says ” F’uk You!!”.

Lalime is the busier goalie, stopping about 37 shots.

And, and , and,….Price will make a rediculous save tonight. Highlight-reel material, and TSN will do their toop 10 based on this type of save.

….Tabarnak, it’s 2 o’clock and I need a drink.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

201. Say Ash says:

And the G&G linemates?

202. NoTinFoilCups says:

Yep that feed to AK46 could have been so much better. Gomez was to blame for the whiff on the open net. You Gomez bashers make me sick. Share the blame!

203. andrewberkshire says:

And stopping on a clear breakaway, making a bad pass to a covered Gionta and then not backchecking when the play goes the other way is such great play. I have no problem with Gomez, I think he’s an excellent player, but he’s playing like dog*** and there’s no excuse.

204. NoTinFoilCups says:

Gionta is among the league leaders in shots but has a 2% shooting percentage! Never hear anyone bashing him. Who the heck feeds him the puck. Share the blame!

205. andrewberkshire says:

Gionta isn’t completing his chances, but he’s still gutting it out and playing with effort, playing excellent defensively as well. The reason why Gomez keeps getting bashed is he’s doing NOTHING well. Not a damn thing.

206. TomNickle says:

Have fun today buddy.

207. andrewberkshire says:

You showing up?

208. TomNickle says:

Told ya yesterday I can’t.

I’ve had a meeting scheduled since July for today at 1.

Kinda tough to make it there from here in 3 hours.

I’ll let you know when I’m coming up for a game later in the year.

209. andrewberkshire says:

Sounds good bud. Didn’t see your message yesterday. I’ll make sure to jersey Mike G for you.

210. SeriousFan09 says:

You’re doing it? Okay, I call dibs for the 2011 Summit than.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

211. Mike D says:

PhD line?  Love the name AND the production!

If they can keep scoring at a decent pace and we can get our top 2 lines going the way they should be, then we can be one of the few teams with a top 9 instead of just a top 6.  Add to that Carey’s solid goaltending and a PP that starts producing at a decent rate and we are a serious threat to any team in this league.

I know that’s a few ‘ifs’, but it’s all feasible.

Only question at that point is which player do you put in the empty wing spot on the 2nd line?  So far it doesn’t seem to be clicking with Moen or Pyatt.

- Honestly yours

212. LA Loyalist says:

1. Well, the pp is NOT producing, but Markov will be up to form in another 4 or 5 games one would think. Though we still need a weapon on the point to give Markov room to work.

2. Carey is doing great, but mostly we’ve played soft teams so far (and lost to several of them, though not his fault).

We are still small and soft, and we still have the boat anchor Nomez.

On the bright side, Poo looked terrific last night, hopefully he can build on those two goals.

AK is great. Dropping little K I think took a huge mental burden off of him and now he can play freely.

Conceptually, for modern playoffs, I would be thrilled to have six 20 goal scorers rather that one 40 one 30 and a bunch of 5-10 guys. Much harder to defend and we know we have a game breaker (streaky, yes but super-skilled) in Cammi.

As for Eller, we need to suffer with him on the top 2 lines and give him minutes. Or how is he going to learn? Is Martin going to give him the MartinMindMeld ™ in the dressing room? What?

Whatever our separate opinions about the acquisition of Eller, he’s here, we need to make him successful and not wreck him.

Go Habs!

“The beatings will continue until morale improves” (test tag line)

213. Chuck says:

The only prediction that I will make is that Molson tallboys will end up being in short supply tonight at the HSBC.

Centre Hice: Road trip!

214. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ll be picking up some of those tallboys on my drive home from work!!! 2 games this weekend while the woman is working the evening shift…BEAUTY! She’s a Flames fan so I don’t have to worry about her reading this, better than a Leafs fan!

215. Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully Plekanec is resting in his hotel room, eating lots of Buffalo wings and drinking lots of water. We need this win tonight because we’ll be facing a hot Sens team tomorrow night that’s resting tonight. I hate back-to-back situations especially when they fall before a big Saturday night game. Over the past decade, I remember Montreal being beat on the second night of a back-to-back against the Leafs a bunch of times. They’re all close games but Montreal runs out of gas in the third, hate when that happens!

216. Habs.Prophet says:

7-0 Montreal over Buffalo

217. mike g says:

And Spacek gets 2G, 3A….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

218. Say Ash says:

Same players

219. Mattyleg says:

I always get stick for it, but i have a soft spot for the Flames.

Watched them lose in the Forum in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final in ’86, and respected them as the only visiting team to ever win a cup in the Forum in ’89.

Their fans are good fun too. Good sports, I’ve found.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

220. Psycho29 says:

Very classy….

Probably explains why he’s the coach..and you’re not.

221. JoeC says:

Eller played a whooping 8 mins last nice, lowest on the team.  Great job giving this kid a chance to shine JM, your an amazing motivator, great for development, amazing coach.

I wish he would just sleep with Gauthiers or one of the Molsons wives , cause thats the only way i think we are going to be rid of this POS coach.

222. pmaraw says:

bugs’s shit is gonna flip tonight lol

223. tricolore says:

If they get away with a win, it will be 2 points stolen. If Miller was in nets, no way Pouliot scores that 3rd fluke goal. Glad however he got 2.

They need to fix that power play. 0 of 11? in the past 3 games….

What kind of evil vodoo jinx is on Gionta, Gomez, Markov, and Cammy? They need to produce if the team is to maintain competitiveness over the next few months.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

224. ari says:

where is eller?

225. tricolore says:

I think he’s waiting at the airport. Wants to get a good seat on the plane so he can exit quickly to make Crescent street on time.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

226. tricolore says:

Absolutely, he’s been solid.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

227. CHCanadien says:

Glad Carey Price is having a strong game.  This easily could be 4-1 right now.

228. fbkj says:

yes apparantly hes associated with the mafia too

229. tricolore says:

I know he was going for the hat trick but Pouliot was a hog on that last play. Darche was waiting.

Anyhow, kudos to that line. Wish the multi millionaires would put some in.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

230. Everlasting1 says:

An old wise man on youtube was once quoted as saying..”Arguing on the internet is often like competing in the special olympics..even if you win you’re still a ‘tard” lol

231. fbkj says:

and considering you never win i feel really bad for you man

232. 123456 says:

ha i like that line

233. WindsorHab-10 says:

Thank you Price and the Grind Line.

234. Everlasting1 says:

The one line got it done tonight, but a win is a win. Good game on Price.

235. Psycho29 says:

Anyone sober enough to post from Hurleys tonight???