Game 12: Blue Jackets too tight for Canadiens

Canadiens’ Travis Moen gets checked into the goal by Blue Jackets’ Derek Dorsett Tuesday night. John Grieshop, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s
NHL schedule
| Boone’s Game BlogQuick hits and About
last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Tomas Plekanec | P.K. Subban

• At a Glance: Two first-period goals and some excellent netminding by Mathieu Garon were the difference Tuesday night as the Columbus Blue Jackets defeated the Canadiens 3-0. Rick Nash, who had been struggling to find the back of net, didn’t have any problem beating Carey Price for his fourth goal of the season 12:34 into the first period. Columbus made it 2-0 a few minutes later when Derick Brassard scored on the power play into a wide open net after Price was caught out of position on a great pass from Jakub Voracek. Price made some great saves in the second period to keep his team in the game, but his teammates could not get one past Garon. Kyle Wilson made it 3-0 in the third period with a nice move on a 2-on-1 with Travis Moen the lone Canadien back after both defencemen had pinched. Garon finished with 29 saves to improve his record to 3-0 on the season.

• Key Moments: Special teams continue to be an issue for the Canadiens. Their power play went 0-for-3 while allowing a goal while shorthanded.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost two straight games for the first time this season and the Canadiens record drops to 7-4-1.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play two more games this week, on the road in Buffalo on Friday and a they receive a visit from the Ottawa Senators at the Bell Centre on Saturday.

1. adam76 says:

This team is a .500 team – get use to it.

2. fbkj says:

im sure price woud like the first one back…

3. JoeC says:

JM is a joke, sais Spacrap is gonna sit basically not in so many words, then lets him play.  Threatens to give his “current second line” more icetime since they have more points, and  Benny has a whoping 4 mins of ice time, an Darche less then 3 mins.  JM is a clown, his words mean NOTHING. Not to mention, Gomez and Gio have more TOI then Cams and Kost.

Yep, JM,  your a man of your word, wish you would retire.

4. mike g says:

Hey troll….

I was listening to mcguire, and he said b-, not c minus.

So next time u come here to spread your dumb comments, make sure they’re good dumb comments.

5. habsgod says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME PULL PRICE? why it’s not his fault on either of those goals! how about blaming gill and gorges they were to blame on both goals! both were out of position

6. Mike D says:

I agree that it would be great to get Giroux, but it’s not gonna happen.  It’s nice to dream though…

I don’t think Ruutu would be a good fit on our team either if it is him that PG is scouting.

If we can’t trade Spatch, then we gotta sit him.  Another brutal night tonight.

On the plus-side Hammer’s been good so far and Price is playing great.  He’s the only reason it isn’t 5-0 by the end of the 2nd.

- Honestly yours

7. TPlow says:

My kingdom for a powerplay goal!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!’” — King’s X

8. dre1744 says:

I think you have a man crush on Auld  thats why you want Price pulled.  Auld turns you on doesn’t he?????

9. Dr-Watson says:

PAR FOR THE COURSE

The Vegas sportbooks have Gauthier making another of his classic inexplicable trades.

Go pull a wart, ya toad.!

11. habs81 says:

I would be more worried about scoring goals than our golie..watch the game please.

I need a drink! decalf!

13. slapshot777 says:

Thisis so fustrating to watch. No urgency in the game and the habs are not making any good decisions with the puck.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

14. fbkj says:

1st goal no doubt, softie, second one, PP with gill out of position

you dont pull a goalie after 2 goals

trolly mctrollerson

15. SmartDog says:

Not sure I agree with all of your sentiments.. :)   but your points are solid.  JM needs to DO SOMETHING with his poor performers, not just hint at maybe later, sometime, could-be do something.

It’s bullcrap. If we’re gonna lose, lose by TRYING to get better, not by going, ‘hey, how come Kostitsyn didn’t score two goals again???’.

16. observer says:

on team 990 when melnick asked mcguire “will the habs bring their a game or their b game to the rink tonight” mcguire replied- “the habs will bring their c minus game! ” – he was right the habs are in the tank and refs even are doing their part too. bettman the brother of the commissioner of the vegas “world series of poker.”

This game reminds me of 5 guys fishing in a boat, hooks in the water,
    but nobody put a worm on their hook.! It is not going to happen to
    night folks.!

18. samTHEman says:

OH BEN TABARNAK!

pardon my french

19. MontrealAtheist says:

Someone pull Price please, otherwise this game will end up being a disaster for us !!!

20. Psycho29 says:

yeah and they still lost to the Habs…

21. dre1744 says:

Well thank good Price is playing well again.

22. observer says:

this is how they played all last season. and why they lost  more than they won.  the only reason they beat pitts and wash was they all gave 100% effort every game. now they are back to the same old. and charging top dollar even when they clearly are stiffing themselves.

23. Muckbringer says:

believe in something will you!

24. Muckbringer says:

i expected a dry crowd but lateralus and….nothing??!!!

really???

25. fbkj says:

garon is a shootout specialist… do not want

26. observer says:

bettman – columbus – and they need to enthuse people to buy tickets – and columbus is favorite? and habs in the tank? and mcguire predicts correctly the no-show. btw – bettman’s brother is commissioner of the world series of poker. a gambling organization in vegas. several nhl players have participated.

27. Bugs says:

Over/under on number of points for Space-Cadet tonight: 0.5

Call it.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

28. 23 HABS 23 says:

If you are going to pull anyone … PULL SPACEK!  That guy has cost us a goal so far … and almost another 2!  My advice to you ATHIEST … WATCH THE GAME!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

29. otter649 says:

Doug Mclean ex-coach/GM/President etc would be proud as he keeps remininding radio listeners on Toronto radio how many of his so-called draft picks are still with The CBJ & through out the league………

30. dre1744 says:

not harping on Price I actually think hes playing very well tonight.  JUst thought that he played that wrong  he should not have went for the poke check.

31. HNS says:

Great idea having an NHL team in Columbus Ohio. Good job Bettman you dwarf.

32. Muckbringer says:

no, not a xcheck…..thats the precident

33. emann_222 says:

Ah Bugs!

How I’ve missed you!

2-1 Habs

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

34. JoeC says:

OMFG TAKE THIS WASTE OF ICE OUT OF THE GAME!! Another turn over almost a goal

35. fbkj says:

agreed, made me smile

~love HIO, but please, for the love of GOD… stop redirecting us to your horrible mobile site…~

36. habs81 says:

If you are going to base this hockey team in the last two games then we look like a under .500 team but there is 82 games in a season give the boys time.

37. observer says:

whatever b- or c- – mcguire said it would be LESS than the 2 choices melnick gave him -BTW the lower choice given him by melnick meant a disgusting no-show —-WELL it turns out mcguire was 100% correct on this no show (WHICH IS COMMON IN PRO SPORTS TODAY AND WITH THIS TEAM IF YOU LOOK AT LAST YEAR).

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering that’s Stubb’s email and his wife mentioned in the email, I think you’re okay, well from Boone anyway, unless there’s a Canadian Wife Swap series I didn’t know about.

39. fbkj says:

off topic, not sure why im sharing this but… the HORRIFYING truth about back to the future

40. JoeC says:

Spacrap even tried a second time to put it in the net!! Thankfully Prices skate kicked it just out of his reach.

Wow, im so happy Spacek is playing tonight..

41. fbkj says:

oh totally way comparable circumstances

i have to ask.; what grade are you in?

42. TomNickle says:

1-0 shootout win for us.

43. Bugs says:

For the love of barbecue, can we PLEASE quit clowing around and predict a final score already?!

Gad’s zooks, y’all can drive me crazy sometimes.

C’mon! A little friggin seriousness for a change, huh?

9-1 Mtl.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Bob Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

Ian

45. mike g says:

Ahhh….

I just wanna cuddle with and smell that Misses Boone scarf…

(this comment might get me banned, so just to let you guys know, you gusy are the best! I’ll miss you!)

46. pic1983 says:

Give. Me. A. Break.

47. MontrealAtheist says:

> you dont pull a goalie after 2 goals

Did you follow the last play-offs, specifically the Caps series? Boudreau certainly seems to disagree with you on this one, given that he pulled Theo after 2 goals (which turned out to be a game changer, I might add).

48. Cookies says:

Spacek nearly got his first goal.

On his own net…

Edit:  Not being a naysayer, but I really think Picard deserved tonight’s game and Spacek some time off.

Summit Update folks, more donations.

Total donations to date are about $3000. What a community we have here. Everyone welcome.

Raffle tickets sold Friday night at Hurleys and before our pre game dinner on Sat. A great charity to be a part of people. Bring lots of bucks HIO family.

From: Stubbs, Dave (Montreal Gazette)
    Subject: RE: Summit raffle
    To: “Ian Cobb” <cobb
    Received: Tuesday, November 2, 2010, 4:24 PM

RE: Summit raffle

Ian, the Canadiens will give me, to give to the
    raffle, a baseball cap autographed by Brian Gionta. And my wife is
    donating a never-been-worn centennial-season CH-logo’d scarf.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog  for more Summit information

50. MontrealAtheist says:

2 goals on 6 shots, but how dare anyone blame Price … Funny how Price always gets those unstoppable shots every game. I mean what are the chances?

51. adam76 says:

Are you watching?  This is what a .500 team plays like like.  poor effort on Saturday, and no bounceback tonight.

52. emann_222 says:

Looking forward to month #2 of Habs hockey! Should be an interesting week with the various matchups. I’m sure there will be plenty of speculation about PG and his little “shopping trip”, but maybe he just went down to make sure the heat is on at his house :)

Don’t know about tonight – Pretty sure we can get the two points, but Garon has had a good 2 games this season, and we haven’t exactly been a goal scoring powerhouse this year.

For more thoughts on tonights match as well as a preview of the entire week … Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

53. HFX-HabFan says:

Since we’re playing the Blue Jackets tonight, I continue to throw out the “debut” rosters- here is a squad comprised of players who exclusively made their NHL debut with the Jackets:

Nash-Johansen-Brule

Filatov-Brassard-Voracek

Darche-Murray-Jackman

Shelley-Kana-Dorsett

Boll

Klesla-Russell

Methot-Moore

Johnson-Clitsome

Holden

Mason

Leclaire

Total cost: $36mil, or $23.4mil under the cap.  Basically it’s Rick Nash and little else (a few offensive prospects here and there).  SF09 pointed it out the other day, but really it’s true- with so many high picks over the last decade, the Jackets have been fairly mediocre in producing solid homegrown talent at the NHL level.

54. Psycho29 says:

Your comments are about as intelligent as your avatar,,,,

Thanks for trolling….

55. luca says:

Garon with a huge save and columbus rewards him with a goal, Price with another big save andddddd exactly piss me off

56. fbkj says:

I am going to SMASH my phone into the sidewalk if the mobile redirect doesnt get rectified

BOONE… STUBBS… HICKEY… MIO…

TOGGLE THAT SH[T OFF!

everyone hates it and your messing with OUR devices

57. habs81 says:

7-4-1 if we lose tonight that’s not .500 team, but I’m use to idiots on this website.

58. dre1744 says:

damn Price should of had that one.  He tried to poke check again and over committed himself.

59. Muckbringer says:

thank you….

60. 23 HABS 23 says:

Go Cheer for St. Louis!  Price is not to blame … are you even watching the game?  Or are you just checking the score … MORON!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends what MTL has to send back, I’m sure a lot of teams have put a lot of tempting offers down for Claude.

62. mike g says:

Yea…

But Giroux is on a short list of Flyers that will never leave Philly.

63. christophor says:

If it’s realistic for anyone to come over, it might be an under-performing van Riemsdyk.

LW. 0G 4A in 12GP. 1.6mill cap hit. 21yo…….and 6’3″

Still, it could be tough for Philly to re-sign both Carter and Giroux.

64. mike g says:

Oh, and regarding PG being in Philly to watch them and the Hurricanes…

Something tells me he was watching the Canes more than the Flyers. Someone like Eric Cole to fill our 2nd line wing, perhaps.

Not sure the Flyers would trade anyone now….

65. HabsMitch says:

If The Habs could by some ingenious miraculous stroke land Claude Giroux I think I would combust from joy

66. mike g says:

Thanks alot for the advice, man…

And all this time I wasn’t even whiping, I used to think it was overrated.

But from now on, ….

67. fbkj says:

and with that, ive contributed to the most vile thread ever on HIO

yay

68. newbrunswick troy says:

ya but you made me giggle, good work out there you but wipping soldiers!!

69. mike g says:

Aha!!
    This is officially my 1st post from my iphone while on the bowl…and incase ur wondering, fbkj, im on the bowl right now.
    So, consider urself the 1st person i’ve ever shiat a comment on….

(man, my parents r gonna think weird things when i’m in the bathroom for 20 minutes)

70. fbkj says:

lol remember to whipe front to back, its not just advice for
    girls

also written from my ifone

I don’t know. Everybody was saying we were first in the league so I figured there’d be a parade.

72. slapshot777 says:

Another problem I see, is how our defense are way too slow. Gil, Hamrlik, and Spacek just seems to be skating in quicksand. All night I watch the guys swatting at the puck with one hand on the stick. How can you make a pass with one hand on the stick. They are always a step behind the play and the puck. The breakout has no flow.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

73. habs365 says:

Thank God Price showed up, the only one I seen play tonight. nothing to beating the Habs, shut down the first line you got yourself a win. the rest are fast skaters, we can’t score but we’ll make the other teams tired from trying to catch us and that’ll give the first line a chance to score, and if they don’t there’s nothing we can do about it, we done our job…

74. Storm Man says:

Ouch. This should be fun I making some popcorn to enjoy the show.

75. Storm Man says:

November 20 will be the only parade in Montreal this year.

76. SmartDog says:

Some people just don’t like other people being right.

Guess that can be really annoying.  Just skip my posts – I won’t mind.

77. SmartDog says:

Now that we’ve got unilingual English coaching in Hamilton JM’s job is secure.

Why rock the boat?

78. terrygain says:

Astute comment of the night.

79. deuce6 says:

Ugh..That was tough to watch..That 2nd line is garbage..We seriously need some size and bite with scoring touch for them..Moen is not the answer..

Someone in the mold of a Jamie Langenbruuner…

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, we should’ve tracked down a French Canadian coach who wasn’t the best man for the job in Hamilton. Oh wait, that would’ve drawn criticism as well… Catch-22 anyone?

81. SmartDog says:

The universe is finding its balance.

Laffs are back to stumbling over their own skates.

Habs return to mediocrity thanks to lack of scoring punch.

But hey… Tampa Bay’s still doing well!  And St. Louis!  Our “spare” parts are KICKIN’ IT!

82. terrygain says:

Picard was very steady. He should be playing – as should OB. We are not going to win with players well past their best days like Spacek and Hamrlik. Bite the bullet and go with the younger players.

83. SmartDog says:

That kind of foolishness always comes up on here.

We HAD a perfect future coach but nobly let him go.

84. SeriousFan09 says:

Smith and Ellis will be exposed time and again this season, Stamkos isn’t going to save the day for Boucher’s squad every time. St. Louis drops 3 games straight and they’re not going to look pretty either.

Lovely to say we know what the Habs are after 12 games, but those two teams are for real and their record will be like this all season.. I guess Stamkos is going to score 150 points as well.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah, should’ve fired another coach (Who we reached the Conference Finals with) and given his job to the new guy. I mean sure MTL sacked Demers, Tremblay, Vigneault, Therrien, Julien and Carbonneau for the new guy to solve all our problems but hey, this time it’s going to work out for sure! Nobly fire Martin and give the job to Boucher, with a press eager to annihiliate him for the first 3-game losing streak that occurs.

Did Detroit stand in the way of Yzerman interviewing for a GM position despite his good work in their organization? No. It’s low-class and it engenders a reputation that your club does not look after our help it’s employees rise up in the NHL. You think Boucher would’ve been satisfied with being forced to stay in the AHL while the team waited for the appropriate time to broom JM? Than of course there’s no guarantee Boucher would have worked out and we’re back to square one, looking for quick fixes in the coaching field.

86. SmartDog says:

In Boucher, the Bolts have a guy who’ll give 120% and who will help every player on that team be the best he can be.  They will continue to surprise – including surprising you.

We’ll get… more of the same.  Old school stuff.  JM is good but not great.  Boucher is, or at least may be, great.

87. SeriousFan09 says:

Really, what are Gagne’s stats right now? How about Lecavalier, has he been magically transformed back into the 2-season superstar that he was? He can’t fix everyone, just like JM can’t make Gionta and Cammalleri score goals.

88. SmartDog says:

First off, we all know that without Jaro, we don’t get past the first round.  All credit to JM for steering, but Halak was the engine.

Second, you’re full of problems and tangled up in how things could go wrong.  The answer is that you create a plan and you follow it.  If Boucher was deemed really valuable, and was our future coach, you make that HAPPEN.  The Habs went with Price over Halak because they still believed in their plan.  Right or wrong, they made a choice and no-one really knows this future. But the future of Boucher is pretty much agreed to be EXTREMELY bright.

89. LA Loyalist says:

We lost 3-0 to who? East Germany? I didn’t even know there was a PLACE called COLUMBUS, Ohio. I drove through Cleveland once and it scared the hell out of me. When and how did THEY get an NHL team? Can we get one too?

This is scarily reminiscent of the Carbo years. Mopping the ice with good teams and getting our ass*s handed to us by expansion teams that can only sell jerseys to immediate family.

Montreal Canadiens were once known for their competitive pride.

Do you guys find this as humiliating as I do? Losing to Florida Panthers 3-1 and The Cleveland Barons 3-0?

Bag skate, I say. On the St Lawrence before it freezes :)

There are only 2 reasonable explanations:

1. The curse of ex-Habs/Quebecois goalies

2. The curse of sweater #11.

3. Or both. Though i guess that would make 3.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

90. SmartDog says:

Give the man some time. He’s doing well with the team so far.

And JM’s had what?  15 months to make the Habs the juggernaut they are now?  Impressive.

91. terrygain says:

Signing Spacek to a 3 year contract was a brain dead move.

92. linp says:

Gomez’s game is getting weaker this year, including his faceoff. JM at
    least admits that the experiment with Moen on the 2nd line is a failure.
    But splitting up AK and Plek is even dumber.

93. SmartDog says:

Awwww…. don’t be a party pooper. Everything is fine:

- Gomez is just saving his best for the playoffs.

- Martin will find a BETTER 4th liner to move up to the 2nd line

- The veterans will all motivate themselves into one powerful force.

Just wait for it.  It’ll happen.  Automatically.

94. terrygain says:

It will become increasing apparent to you as the season progresses that there is only one reason we made it to the Conference Final. And he is playing lights out in St. Louis.

95. HabsTrueBlue says:

Yeah that’s what it is!

Please HIO implement a block user function for this site! We try to skip his posts but there are so many it’s hard to weed them all out manually.

96. SmartDog says:

C’mon… leave Gomez alone. And JM too.

Because they’re trying weally, weally hawd!

97. OneTimer says:

I guess it only takes 2 losses in a row for them to come out of the woodwork. Didn’t they ban this clown?

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t have made it out of the 1st round with Julien or Carbo either, JM deserves credit for matching up against Boudreau, Bylsma and beating them with less than they had to throw at him.

They had a plan, keep the coach that managed a Conference Finals appearance on a weaker roster and bring in new support for that roster, keeping a goalie they know could succeed and keeping as many key skaters as they could. Montreal’s gained nothing from changing coachs and Boucher could return since the team A) gave him his professional break in coaching and B) Did not stand in his way when he had the opportunity to reach the next level. Habs didn’t stand in the way of Bowman when he left the Junior Canadiens to coach St. Louis and they brought him back a few years later and he coached one of the greatest dynasties in hockey history. It also helps attract personnel when they see your organization’s people are highly sought after.

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Fine, but if Pleks outscores Lecavalier this year I won’t be surprised or if Gagne spends another 20+ games on IR.

100. SeriousFan09 says:

Than I guess Brent Johnson will be one of his main competitors for the Vezina with his 5-0-1 record!

I hear this guy who led the entire NHL in playoff goals had something to do with as well, Michael Cammasomethingorother.

101. krob1000 says:

Sorry I don’t often cut and paste from one therad to another but there are more people over here

I am a little lost on your comment Boone about Eller.  I thought he played very well considering I think he probably played with every teammate possible tonight.  In the great majority of his shifts the puck was controlled down low.  I actually liked AK with Gomez too…I thought it generated some chances and the 3-0 score gave us an opportunity to experiment…..and on the road too.  I thought the last ten minutes or so were completely dominated by us and I really liked the hints of chemistry betweem Gomez-Gio and Ak and also Eller-Pleks and Cammi.  I have to say though I thought Eller did very well….again…..he is still adjusting to the speed and is holding on sometimes a fraction too long but every time he is out there it seems we control the puck….it has been a  long time since we had someone who could control the  puck down low and also had an offensive mind….put him on a top line for a decent length of time and he produces I believe.  Price…..overcommitting a bit again. Right now Cammi, Gomez, Gio, Markov….all struggling to find their offense (cammi has some points but is missing glorious chances and his sense of timing and accuracy are not there yet).  Ths team could easily have had 4 or 5 goals tonight if things go different.

One huuuuge complaint I have is the sparkplug issue…..in these last two games we had little energy, it was obvious early on that we were getting ho hummed and bored into passing the time.  Although we had chances I felt the game lacked  intensity and I feel that played into both Florida and Columbus’ hands.  In these type of games…soemone…anyone has to light a fire…be it a fight, a hard drive to the net, some attitude, something….

Markov is nowhere near himself and that is too be expected…unfortunately Spacek isn’t either…that is not.  Hammer took some chances late in the game and actually made some things happen with his aggressiveness…unfortunately he doesn’t have the recovery speed to compensate…but Pleks was there. There were two glorious chances missed in the o-zone by Gill where guys were open in the slot and he just blindly tossed the puck.

Overall I was not as depressed as I should be in a 3-0 loss to CBJ after a 3-1 loss to FLA…..I saw some things to build on…I saw some things that worried me though….the lack of ebergy from the energy guys in  the last two games when it was very much called for.

Pk and Eller are both for real, Pouliot is showing signs of life, Ak is back from the dead, Gomez played very well tonight IMO too..he was really trying hard tonight and competing I thought, Pleks is Pleks…..Price made some big saves when he needed to aside from some overcommitting tonight but he was definitely not to blame for any of those goals.  Gorges has developed nicely.  Halpern loks like a Dom Moore clone in a mirror.  The guys who need to score are generating chances and just not capitalizing….that is alright by me because they are too talented for that pattern to continue for long.  The PP does worry me though…..we do need a shot on that right point…a left one or try mixing PK and Markov…but something needs to happen there for sure….

Martin’s experimentation led me to believe he has seen enough of Eller to know he can handle the defensive responsibility and that he has the talent to play with the big  boys…….I know OB has played himself into the press box and I also know that Ryan White is a victim of a numbers game but the spunk they add physically to the lineup might have been very, valuable these last two games…..Boyd and Laps had best be looking over their shoulders because they are supposed to be energy guys.

PS…..why is it that when we go to the net our sticks are always tied up…and why do we always go to the net and stand there for the sake of standing there….have we nobody with a sense of timing…to follow up on  loose pucks? When is as important as where and it seems that concept is lost on many of our guys …. just take a second and think about how many players, both scorers and non scorers alike we see agaist the Habs that seem to be Johnny on the Spot…..then think about how often we have anyone who is Johnny on the Spot……we need a damn Johnny too….one who can find the Spot.

102. beebZ says:

At least you got me laughing ;)

103. habs4real says:

and you thought Gainey was smart?

no other GM in hockey was willing to touch that Gomez contract, except brain dead Gainey.

I will curse Gainey till the day Gomez is gone! BAD LUCK Gainey! (guess that kicked in 2 years ago).

104. krob1000 says:

I actually thought Gomes played good tonight….and I thought he played really well with AK too.  Gomez is purely a psser….and when you only give him one guy to pass to it is fairly easy to defend…his success in NJ came with Gio and Elias, in Montreal he was most productive when POuliot was hot or when Cami filled that spot…he needs two targets and he is effective offfesnively…I am now 100 percent convinced of that after seeing how quickly he gelled with AK….Ak found ice…Gomez found him.  I thinkw e may be onto something with the Eller thing and Ak with Gomez…..maybe Max plys center again too if this happens….I actually liked a lot about tonight surprisingly given the result.

105. habs4real says:

hab players are still on cloud nine.

maybe they forgot Halloween is over, and still wearing their ghost costumes, and looking  invisible.

106. twocents says:

I thought Gomez showed some good things tonight too. I’d rather see Pouliot moved to centre before moving Laps back. Pouliot as third line centre could be real nice.

107. HabFanSince72 says:

Our trolls still suck.

108. samTHEman says:

He’s already injured lmao. Neck injury.

109. krob1000 says:

Eric I just took a peek outside and the moon is not blue….what the hell are you doing agreeing with me so much lol.  Gomez played very well tonight. I am not sure about the POuliot thing at center though….not in JM’s system….too much emphasis on the Center being a d mind.  Max plays that way and so does Halpern….I think that would be 4 very responsible centers defensively (although I think we ahve that now too)…but I think a shake up of the top two lnes could yield some serious results after tonight.  Gomez needs two options…or to learn to shoot….I fear it is about a decade too late for that so give the man another weapon already.

110. citizenSanto says:

and you couldn’t be happier.

way to go buddy!

—————————————————————————————————————

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
    – Augustine of Hippo

111. Mikey_39 says:

Do you all realize that for the longest time, we haven’t had two working top lines? Back when we had the Koivu-Ryder-Higgins line lighting it up, the second line wouldn’t produce.  Then when Plecky- Kovalev-Kostitsyn was the top line, we couldn’t get the Koivu line to produce.  This trend continues to the team now, the first line is producing but we can’t get our second line to kick in.

112. Bugs says:

I’ma say it again (gettin to be a friggin habit): the Kid played supoibly. Kept’em in the game. Remember the “fear” every time the puck went into our zone when he was guardin it last year? Gone. Sumamabastich is inspirin confidence. Very gratifying stuff.

Now, if Eller can justify his presence on this team in any way, shape, or form in the foreseeable future, I just might stop makin a stink about what a terrible, terrible mistake it was to trade Halak. Maybe. Can’t promise more than that, so take it or leave it.

Ooooo, that my boy Poolio coulda put that one in, aaaaargh, so close.

Umm, did anyone else get a chance? Honestly, anyone else?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

113. krob1000 says:

Haven’t you seen Ghostbusters….you don’t cross the streams

114. twocents says:

I still say I’d like to see how Pouliot would handle playing centre.

But to keep the ball rolling here, I am in full agreement about Gomez needing two weapons, the Moen/Pyatt thing is not worth any more looks.

115. JohnBellyful says:

Didn’t see the game so what follows is unencumbered by fact or insight based on shrewd observation: To shake the team out of its scoring doldrums, place the names of the players on the second, third and fourth lines in a cap. Shake. Draw three names at a time. There’s your second line. Repeat two more times. If it works, you’ve got yourself a hat trick. If it doesn’t, you’re still the coach of the Habs.

116. ooder says:

just play spacek on his natural right side.. man

the guy can’t play on his backhand all game long.. no wonder his decisions and timing is delayed

——————

88 is the new 23

117. rocketsglare says:

I think it’s time to sit either Gill or Spacek and play O’Byrne. At least O’Byrne can skate and play physical D.

I also think it’s time to split up Gionta and Gomez because neither is getting the job done playing together.

Why not team Gionta with Plekanec and Kostitsyn and Gomez with Boyd and Eller on the wing. Whatever

line combination JM decides, but it’s definitely time to make wholesale changes to the top 2 lines and with

the defensive corp.

Tonight’s glaring loss clearly reveals that there are big holes in this team and that changes are mandated.

I have always held the belief that the team up front is to small and not physical enough to compete and co-

ntrol the puck on both ends of the ice and the D is simply to old, slow, and not physical enough to impose

it’s will on the opposition. I have also held the belief that this team is in transition and will continue to be

in transition until changes are made to correct the obvious short comings of this team’s personnel.

That will be the challenge of management now and for the next several years.

118. Shane1313 says:

Let’s not jump the gun boys..

Gomez showed a little life tongight, but he will turn on once Gio does. Splitting up our best line would be ridiculous. Pleky Ak and cammy should and will stay together. I hope Eller is up playing with the two G’s, he deserves that. I was a bit disappointed with Gill and Gorges tonight. Am I crazy or does anyone think Markov should be paired with Gorges, they used to be together and it worked. I love P.K,but he showed lack of effort tonight. Nothing worked tonight, lack of energy and more. Hopefully they work hard to get back on track on friday..

119. LA Loyalist says:

You have just nailed it. The habs standard is great, not good. That’s the problem and why we lose to Columbia and florida.

120. showey47 says:

Spacek has been playing the right side pretty much his entire time here. He was playing the left side as a sabre. With spacek being a left handed shot,playing him on the right side will force him to be making plays on his backhand.Especially in the defensive end.

121. ooder says:

ya sorry that’s what i meant… play him on the left side.. the side he’s not playing on now lol

thanks showey

——————

88 is the new 23

122. j2w4habs25 says:

I gotta admit that the whole team were playing like a bunch of lazy drunks out there – how about a bunch of 4th liners? thats the way they came out tonight.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

123. Exit716 says:

The Habs are hamstrung for a good four or five years thanks to Gainey’s decisions. Unless there’s major changes in the next CBA where you can bury shitty contracts, the Habs will be screwed going forward.

124. LA Loyalist says:

Notwithstanding that I voted for rolling the dice on boucher I certainly acknowledge the temptation to quick fix via coaching as the cliche goes you can’t fire 23 players (unless you are bob gainey)

It will be interesting to see how long Carlisle lasts in Anaheim and with paRise injured devils are in deep.

Certainly our record w coaches since demers is pretty damn bad. I wish I knew the answer. Problem is I want habs to be great, not just good.

125. showey47 says:

Why did tampa lose 6-0 to florida and also to the islanders? Tampa’s success to date has pretty much everything to do with the #1 pick from 3 years ago who has 19 points in 10 games which currently gives him the league lead in scoring. The offensive takes quite a nose dive after stamkos.

126. j2w4habs25 says:

I am starting to hate the Gomez contract :P

127. showey47 says:

gagne after 6 games,no points and a -8.

128. showey47 says:

lol,no prob.

129. terrygain says:

Although Gill and Gorges have played great together they did have a bad game tonight. No, they should not be split up based on one bad game. Markov should be playing with OB. Although Habfansince1972 apparently didn’t notice, they were terrific together in last years playoffs. PK should be playing with Picard (who has been very steady)  and Spacek and Hamrlik should take November off.

130. terrygain says:

The contracts that are hurting us are Spacek and Hamrlik. Gomez has not been playing as bad as most here claim, but I thought he was dreadful tonight. I wish Martin would give Pouliot 5 games with Gomez and Gionta and use Eller at centre on the third line between Moen and Lapierrre. I think Eller has great potential but I think we need more size with G&G.

131. terrygain says:

Don’t  be so hard on yourself.

132. Bugs says:

He’s already at 19pts in 10 games???

Dammmn.

Lemme do some quick math over here: ok, 4 to the seven…divide by the prime…multiply by 2…carry the x…

That’s 1.9 pts a game!

Hey, I’m starting to think this blondied surfer bastich might be the real deal, knowumsayin? ’Magine if…oh, ‘magine if this freak blows by Crosby, leaves him in the dust, signifies HIS position as the Game’s “best player”? Ooooooo, that would put the fox in TSN’s chicken-coop, wouldn’t it?

Damn.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

133. terrygain says:

Julien is a much better coach than Martin.  Carbo was like Martin. He liked to punish people for their mistakes instead of teaching them how not to repeat them. You think  Frankie The Bull is a hot head. LOL.  I  know you spend a lot of time on this but your judgment is impaired.

134. SeriousFan09 says:

Claude Julien coached the biggest playoff collapse in over 30 years. Sorry but that is saying something when he couldn’t do anything with a 3-0 series lead. JM came back from being down 3-1 and 3-2. What’s Claude Julien’s record when not knocking around a depleted and self-destructing 2009 Habs team?

135. MontrealAtheist says:

Don’t be surprised if brain dead Gainey is still pulling the strings behind every bad management decision. The ghosts of Gainey are very much alive at the Bell Centre and holding us back on a regular basis.

136. HabsAndNothingElse says:

Why isnt White with playing? It’s unreal how slackers like gomez and sunday morning drive pouliot are playing minutes but a hard playing in your face White isnt there?
    ——————–
    Habs Hockey
    Nothing Else Matters
    –CH–

137. Mike D says:

Wow.  How many 2-on-1′s and breakaways did we give Columbus tonight?

We got out-muscled and out-hustled all game.  No bounceback, fight, or jam whatsoever.  Brutal game.

Gio can’t buy a goal to save his life right now and Gomez has been pretty awful too.

I hate to say cuz he’s one of my fav. players, but Cammy’s been brutal too.  In his case, the lack of production was hidden by the fact that his line was doing well (Pleks and AK), but he himself hasn’t been very good at all save for a few games.  Is it just me or does he seem hesitant to shoot the puck?  From the games I’ve seen – which is almost all of them – I get the impression he’s thinking pass first instead of shoot in situations when he’s got the better look/shot.  His bread and butter is as a sniper, not a playmaker, and he’s gotta be reminded of that.

- Honestly yours

138. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember last week we were saying just wait till our second line starts to click?

We should have been thinking “what if our first line stops clicking”.

Bad news.

139. mike g says:

The good, the bad, and the ugly….

Good: Price played well enough to at least deserve an overtime/shootout loss. Eller looked good, and……that’s about it.

Bad: Gionta and Cammy, combined for over 50 goals last year and now they each look like they’re 50 years old. No emotion from them or the team tonight, everyone looked asleep and forgot to show up to the party. Unacceptable.

Ugly: Jaroslav Spacek, and the big fat man with the painted chest who was dancing in the crowd. Please Spacek, retire.

140. HabFanSince72 says:

Terrible call in Toronto. Leafs might steal another point thanks to the refs.

Sens hang on for the win.

141. slapshot777 says:

This game was like watching paint dry. Until JM gets a fire going under the G&G line all teams will put their best defensive forwards up against the Pleks line and shut out the Habs. Right now it’s too easy for the teams playing against the Habs. They are back to being a one line team again. As much as we have gone forward with offensive players, we wouldn’t score in a soccer net.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

142. SmartDog says:

Q: What happens when the Pleks line stops scoring?
    A: WE LOSE.

To all those people who said “Gionta will break out this game!” and “Gomez and Gionta just need time”.  The glasses factory called and they want the rose-coloured ones you bought back.

And for CRYING OUT LOUD, to move AK46 away from Pleks?  WTF?

All respect to JM for his defensive strategy, etc., but this is the problem with him.  He’s late to the party in fixing problems.  Gionta and Gomez HAVE A PROBLEM.  Break them the f-k up so they can get out of their funk. Hello? Hello??  WTF

143. SeriousFan09 says:

White is another Pyatt/Moen/whoever to plug onto a scoring line, not scoring hands that are needed to finish. He isn’t going to save the day unless he has a lucky charm that makes Gionta and Cammalleri get their scoring instinct back on track.

144. SeriousFan09 says:

??? Official scoreboards have the game ending 3-2 in regulation.

145. Mike D says:

I was thinking that and I’m sure I wasn’t alone in doing so.  Didn’t want to be a Debbie Downer.

- Honestly yours

146. Mike D says:

- Honestly yours

147. Mike D says:

ZACH PARISE OUT FOR 3 MONTHS according to TSN!

- Honestly yours

148. nickster13 says:

you know your poop, i agree, we were winning so we could ignore it, but back to back ugly losses and the GG problems come to the forefront, but the question is, what do we do about it? I guess breaking them up is the only option cuz somethings gotta change..

149. observer says:

are you inferring that gauthier and gainey have done a poor job of assembling a highly potent scoring team? i agree with you. a horrendous job.

150. habaddict_andy says:

Good. They need to finish higher than bottom five.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

151. SeriousFan09 says:

How about a good bag skating?

152. SeriousFan09 says:

I was inferring that White wasn’t going to solve anything and our goal scorers need to end their slump. Those two can score, they just can’t find their hands.

153. SmartDog says:

Music to my ears! :)

Gotta treat them like anybody else.  No-one else on the team would be left alone for such a long period of suckitude.  JM needs to break them up and kick their asses.

154. habaddict_andy says:

Enough with Gomez. Nothing happening with this guy. Rent him to KHL since some teams were able to do so this year.

155. SmartDog says:

We should have been thinking “what if our first line stops clicking”.

Exactly what I’ve been saying.  And what did I get for it?  Harrassed by guys like you.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

Too tight? LOL… that just sounds dirty. I haven’t watched the game but I imagine it was awesome. Looking back a day or two I just love the talk and the headlines. First overall!!! Top of the league!!! AK is firing!! Plekanec is the best center at this moment! JM is genius! The System is working! Boy… are we still on for the parade?

Aah… just nice to know that I am right… as always.

Btw, Price is a bum. Again, no goals for him. Useless bum!

157. Kooch7800 says:

We need offense in a bad way.  With only relying on one line you can’t win.  Gomez and Gio are not even getting chances which really scares me.

Why? Is there anything wrong? After all we can’t win all 82 games. People blow things way out of proportion.

JM’s defensive strategy is playing for the Blues this year. The Strategy has left.

160. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah, you were harassed for being annoying.

161. slapshot777 says:

That’s the problem, buying out Spacek doesn’t prove anything. He is over 35 and therefore the contract and cap hit stays on the books. So if Spacek was to retire or get bought out the player may be gone but his contract and cap hit remains.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

162. Storm Man says:

What Parade are you talking about? The one with a big fat guy in red and white with 8 tiny reindeer?

163. terrygain says:

You make an excellent point. Now please explain how we win with a coach who doesn’t know as much as you?

164. JD_ says:

Average height of Philly D-squad is 6’2″.

Only Timonen is sub-6′.

Good for a hmm.

165. Kooch7800 says:

He is probably looking at the canes

166. nightmare_49 says:

Bob McKenzie tweets:

Deslauriers (EDM), Sim (NYI) and Moore (SJS) all cleared waivers.

ATL’s Valabik is on re-entry waivers. ATL wants to give him shot to play elsewhere because his prospects with Thrashers are limited.

Renaud Lavoie tweets:

DG Pierre Gauthier est au match des Flyers vs Caroline ce soir. Gauthier scouting the Flyers vs Hurricanes game tonight.

167. Kooch7800 says:

I would agree but we have lots of good capable D in the farm as well.  This nash kid is great, Webber is ready, Carle is ready (but is injury prone), Henry can fill in as a number 6.

168. mike g says:

That’s a great advantage….

When I’m home alone I love to feel the wind.

169. newbrunswick troy says:

ya you and your high horse, oh look at him,now look at me and back to him, then to me..(i,m on a high horse too!)

170. SeriousFan09 says:

I know someone who’s got a thought about those Old Spice ads.

171. newbrunswick troy says:

Grover rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

172. newbrunswick troy says:

right on …you just whale it out there buddy!!!!! i mean your deap thoughts!!

173. TripleX says:

I comment from my iPhone all the time dude.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

174. mike g says:

Is there ever gonna be a HIO app for the iphone?…

Everytime I’m on the bowl taking the turtles to the pool, I’ve got something productive to say to all of you guys, but I can’t write it on this site from my iphone.

It bothers me alot..

175. fbkj says:

yes you can, go to full site, but you have to disable rich-text

176. SeriousFan09 says:

It might bother me you are both describing that situation and that you apparently think it’s a good idea to contribute in that situation.

I said might bother me, because I haven’t always been wearing pants when I’m posting on here so I can’t really get on a high horse about it. Best thing about living by yourself is pants are optional whenever you want.

177. HabsMitch says:

If only we could get him

178. SeriousFan09 says:

The trade list being anyone they have to dump to keep him, Leino and JVR. Going to be an expensive group of extensions.

179. mike g says:

Probably…

Leino’s a UFA after this year. And he’s looking like he’s gonna put up 60+ points.

That’s gonna fetch him 4+ million. No way in heck they find the space to keep him.

And they’re lucky JVR’s young and costing them nothing. But if he becomes what they think he can be, they’ll either let him go or find a taker for the last 2 years of Briere’s deal.

Still, tough decisions in Philly.

180. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re in the CHI situation, best run at the Cup with their depth before they have to unload some salary and big names.

181. Badwich says:

Mr. Nasty:  You have it wrong. Habites aren’t upset because we are losing. We are upset because the Habs have players who aren’t producing like they are being paid to do and they have other players that aren’t capable of playing up to their wages. Win or lose a good coach takes care of business every day in every way. I’ll assume JM doesn’t watch replays or has very poor vision when it comes to poor performance night after night.

182. nastyHABit says:

My God…what a fickle bunch of ‘fair weather”posters on this site….if we lose a couple then heads must roll,and when we win,we are “top of the world”…….if i’ve learned one thing as a fan of this team over the last 45 years is you have to roll with the punches and MOVE ON……and OH YEAH….lay off PRICE…..he’s playing well and doing all we can ask of him

183. nastyHABit says:

it could be worse….imagine waking up a leaf fan this morning…..talk about crap in your cornflakes

184. nastyHABit says:

the way i saw it…..the jackets kept us on the perimeter,no front of the crease presense,hot GARON = LOSS!………looks like columbus studied the New Jersey game

185. christophor says:

and Giroux: 5’11”.

maybe 6’0” is their cut-off and so they’re shipping him to montreal.

crossing my fingers.

186. volcano62 says:

It’s benn proven great goaltending can steal some games for the team. In this case we needed Price to stop the banana’s.

187. mike g says:

Has it been proven that a goaltender can get a shutout and the game-winning-goal in the same game?

Nope.

So Jaro wouldn’t have made a difference last night.

188. habs365 says:

agree with ya mike, we don’t need that BS, carey price was one of the few that showed up last night. Halak or no Halak, when your team don’t support you we know what the end result is gonna be. this dork couldn’t think of anything else to say, probably don’t know anything about hockey, that’s usually the type…

189. mike g says:

JVR is a stud….

He’d be a perfect fit and he’d thrive on the Gomez-Gionta line.

I’m really puzzled by the fact that they’d even shop him. I don’t know if they are, but if I’m Holmgren, there’s just too much upside to JVR. I couldn’t trade him.

But, if PG is actually scouting the Flyers, the one guy that I’d love to get, and who COULD be traded for the right price, is probably JVR.

Get him now PG, get him now….

190. SeriousFan09 says:

Better pick it up soon, I’ve got him in a couple of pools.

191. TomNickle says:

They won’t trade JVR, Giroux, Nodl, Betts, Briere or Richards up front.

That leaves Carter and Hartnell up front.  If somebody’s going to be traded in a salary dump, it will be one of those two.

On the back end I find it hard to believe that they can move out one of their marquee defenseman, and let’s face it, most of them are marquee.

Coburn and Carle are the only two that can be moved relatively easily and Holmgren won’t take them back for prospects.  Their depth on defense is what makes them a powerhouse.

192. mike g says:

Their defense is rediculous…

But let’s face it, their top 9 up front, not top 6, is the best in the league.

193. TomNickle says:

I’m a little bit partial to Detroit there to be honest.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hudler, Bertuzzi, Franzen, Filpulla, Helm, Holmstrom.

Boston too.

Bergeron, Savard, Krejci, Horton, Ryder, Wheeler, Sturm, Lucic and Recchi or Seguin.

194. mike g says:

I was thinking of those 2 exact teams too…

But Hudler was a healthy scratch last week, and Bertuzzi’s on life support in this league. Still good players, but I don’t know…

And Boston’s great, but I’ve been really dissapointed in the production of Wheeler and Ryder. 2 guys who are capable of doing serious damage on a loaded Bruins roster, yet they’re invisible..

195. TomNickle says:

No team has their top 9 forwards firing on all cylinders at the same time.  That goes for Phili too.

I like those teams’ forward depth just as much as the Flyers.

With one more addition to our forward group, a significant addition that is, I would put our team in that group.

196. SeriousFan09 says:

Wheeler’s a greedy bastard who’s about the softest 6’5″ player in the NHL, if he was Russian he’d be damned to hell already. Ryder’s either a 15 or a 30 goal guy these days, you won’t know which until the season runs up.

197. Mr.Bell says:

going to the game on friday in buffalo and i think there is a slump coming our way, possibly of the 4 game variety…….i dont care what really happens as long as i see price play.  I truly hope they dont give him a rest before another game against ottawa…..

Once a Habs fan Always a Habs fan! GO HABS GO!

198. RC-51 says:

Stinking up the joint tonight! Maybe Markov should be a healthy scratch?

199. lavie says:

Or should we say that he was started too early?

200. adam76 says:

Its a joke that Picard is in the pressbox.

201. Kooch7800 says:

Reason to put Pouliot back with gio and gomez…..currently he is number 5 on team scoring. reason 2 we really don’t have any other viable options.

202. Fox says:

Zherdev is in the dog house in Philly.Even though he doesn’t play defence he would be an exciting fit on the 2nd line

203. TomNickle says:

An all american line.

I don’t know.  If he’s watching the Canes it’s hard to say what he’s looking for.  If he’s watching the Flyers it’s tough to say too.

Could be Hartnell, they won’t trade Giroux.

They might be open to trading Carter but I don’t think I would like what they would want back.  I think it’s safe to assume they would want one of Kristo or Leblanc and one of Tinordi, Emelin or Weber.

We would also have to move out salary for Carter and then he may only be a rental.

Hard to imagine that kind of scenario playing out.

204. mike g says:

Of the “tradeable” players…

Carter, Hartnell and JVR would all be great on our team.

But, I can’t see any of them leaving.

And if it takes Kristo+Weber to get Carter, do it. Just do it.

Sign him to 5 mill per year, we won’t regret it.

But it’s hard to immagine a big trade hapenning.

205. TomNickle says:

JVR won’t be traded.  He’s way too inexpensive with way too much upside to move.

Kristo and Weber for Carter and no guaranteed contract next year?  I don’t know Mike.  Where does he fit?

You move Cammalleri up with Gomez and Gionta?  I think you want to find a fit for that line.  Hartnell would be good there.  That line needs somebody to take Gionta and Gomez out of the corners.

I think targeting a skilled power forward who can skate with Gomez and Gionta is something to target.  But then again, I think we have that in Pouliot.

206. SeriousFan09 says:

Pouliot needs to stop falling down by himself and since Guy Lapointe is alive and well we know the ghost of the best practical joker in team history is not tying his skate laces together between shifts.

I hope Pouliot can come around, but the Habs wouldn’t be wrong in trying to target someone if they think they can make a serious run this year.

207. mike g says:

Weber is nothing…

IMO he’ll never play in the NHL. And Kristo, well he’s still 5-6 years away from having the impact that a Carter has in the league, and that’s IF he reaches his 100% potential. And even then, he’s still another small forward.

If Carter can be had for those 2, I’d play him wing with G-G. He’s the big body to go to the front of the net, get the rebouds, and go into the corners. Keep the AK-PLEKS-CAMMY line together.

Hartnell would be great for sure, and I’d be the 1st guy to buy his jersey. But I think the Habs would rather go for the right handed, often centerman, big and tall, Carter.

That’s what I think. And of course, an extension would have to be signed by the end of the year with Carter.

208. TomNickle says:

The problem there, and Bob Gainey would tell you this, is that you can’t just acquire somebody at the deadline and that guy fit in automatically.  If you’re going to trade for somebody, the all-star break is a good deadline date if it’s an impact player.

If we’re going to acquire somebody thinking that a serious run at the cup is in the cards, it needs to be soon.

Like I said last week, I think a deal is coming.  But I think a defenseman or two are moving out.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see two defensemen moved with Nash’s stellar play.  He can be more than a fill in and Picard has been good.

O’Byrne and one of Spacek or Hamrlik could be gone shortly.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Markov moved either.  I hate to say it, but stranger things have happened.

209. TomNickle says:

Weber may not play in the NHL.  I would bet that it takes him another few seasons, but that he will be an NHL regular once he develops man strength.

Kristo isn’t small and doesn’t play small Mike.  He’s not big, but he plays big.  Kristo shouldn’t be traded.  If he isn’t six feet tall yet, he’s damn close.  And you can’t hit what you can’t catch.

He could walk onto our Habs team right now and give Pyatt a run for his money in a race, he might even win.

210. SeriousFan09 says:

I wouldn’t be ready to promote Nash, he’s only played 120 games or so in the last 4 years, he needs to play a big AHL season to get acclimiated to the demands of the 80-game season and get conditioned for pro hockey, part of JVR’s trouble in PHI so far has been coming out of NCAA hockey straight to the NHL. Much longer seasons, much bigger toll on the body.

Markov won’t go unless there’s no way an extension can be signed at all and I’m pretty sure with Markov becoming a Canadian citizen soldified where he wants to be. He’s too important to run the back end, plus he’s going to be the mentor to P.K. Subban over the next several years.

211. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Weber will play in the NHL, but as a PP specialist like a MAB, he won’t be a Top-4 type in the NHL unless he’s on a bottom 5 team. He needs to be much smarter and more skilled with the puck than I’ve seen from him so far, as he lacks the build and muscle to really be useful away from the puck or when he has it.

Kristo, I’d say he can make the Habs by 12-13 and a good player for them by 13-14 but if he can be moved in a deal for Carter with a signed extension, the management shouldn’t blink on that. He’s 6′ and he’s an incredibly quick, crafy puck handler. He needs to improve defensive awareness but he could be an impact player in 3-4 years.

212. TomNickle says:

Nash isn’t ready for the NHL fulltime but I would think he’s ready for spot duty based on what I’ve seen.

213. Bill J says:

vestiare.ca speculates it is Tuomo Ruutu that is the target/offer from Carolina. and they also concur, not Philly.

214. TomNickle says:

I don’t think I’d mind him.  Enough speed and skill to play with Gomez and Gionta and enough jam to take the focus off of them.

Good target if it’s true.

215. fbkj says:

cant argue that

216. pic1983 says:

Especially cause spacek almost scored on us tonight.  JM preaching poor play.  Amazing how the guy has b***s when it comes to making an example of young players who could probably use a little bit of a longer leesh, but when it comes to overpaid vets he trembles in his boots.

217. pic1983 says:

218. Mike D says:

Got that right! With Spatch’s play tonight JM better sit him next game and give Pics the spot. Not to blame Spatch for the loss, cuz the whole team was terrible tonight except for Price.

- Honestly yours

219. pic1983 says:

Fun little Stat for Gomez apologists:

To date, Gomez has accounted for $1,000,000 in cap usage.  He has three points.  Do the math.

Gionta needs to change his stick, or get laser eye surgery.  Guy cant pick a spot on the net if his life depended on it these days.  Perplexing for a former 48 goal scorer.

220. tricolore says:

Well said. See coach for details.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

221. tricolore says:

So Cammy is not producing offensive contribution in terms of points as he is expected to. Gomez and Gionta as well. Pouliot is under-performing. I’m sorry but it’s the coach’s job to get the best out of his players and mobilize them to playing their best. I give Martin a failing grade since the beginning of the season. So if Pleks and AK46 don’t contribute with goals, the team won’t win? Only reason they won 7 out of 10 games was 14 and 46. There’s more to it than individual effort and results. The coach does not have his team firing on all cylinders. Let’s remain grounded. Don’t be fooled by the 7 wins. Lots of work to be done. How about scoring on the powerplay more than 3 out of 42 attempts or whatever it is?

How about that? Another ex Hab goalie playing fabulously and beating his former team….same ol’ same ol’….

Martin doesn’t last the year.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

222. Storm Man says:

You will make my year if Martin is canned.

223. Ice Storm says:

I agree, 46 and 14 have been amazing together…  and Cammi, Gio and Gomer need a boost…

So why the heck-fire does JM split up Pleky and Andre in the third????

I agree that Eller has been strong of late, but the move was to put him with AK and 14, and put MC13 with Gomez and Gionta…  doesn’t that make more sense??

I hope to see Eller-Gomez-Gionta the next game with Pleky’s line reunited…

Maybe that’s a greedy wish since I have all of Pleky’s line in my keeper pool…  lol

Combination for success: 46-14-13

224. Seps says:

Gomez – 3 points, Gionta 3 points…  I say sit them, it can’t hurt.

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

225. HabFanSince72 says:

Cammy is not producing offensive contribution in terms of points as he is
    expected to. Gomez and Gionta as well. Pouliot is under-performing. I’m
    sorry but it’s the coach’s job to get the best out of his players

That’s bizarre. the star players aren’t performing so it’s the coach’s fault?

226. SeriousFan09 says:

Martin can’t be the only one held accountable for veteran players, leaders of the team no less not getting it done. They know what they have to do when they play to get things going and they’re not doing it. If rookies are being caught in the wrong situations or not developing along, that’s more on JM’s head but Cammalleri and Gionta shouldn’t need JM on their backs to do their jobs.

Please let it be true!

228. HabFanSince72 says:

You think JM is bad with kids? Here’s Ron Wilson on the idea of calling up Nazeem Kadri:

“I wouldn’t understand the point of
    major moves and things like that,” said Wilson. “Talking about calling
    people up from the minors who aren’t playing very well down there. It’s
    very easy to speculate: ‘He should be up’ and the guy is struggling in
    the American Hockey League. We’re going to be patient and not circumvent
    the process here.”

229. showey47 says:

Kadri is extremely hyped in toronto. But to put things in perspective tom pyatt scored more goals then he did in their final year of junior hockey.

230. SmartDog says:

And you wonder why people think Boucher may revolutionize hockey coaching.

231. Cookies says:

Watching the CH Express, I noticed that we are, as usual, having our chances (Pouliot falling on the open net shot, Spacek(???) missing a feed by Cammy…), but not cashing in on them. This is just a matter just pushing it until it goes through. Keep at it and in while the goals will come in bunches.

That said, I really think Kostitsyn should stay on the line with Plekanec and Cammy. Eller should be with Gomez and Gionta; don’t split a line that is working. Give Eller (or Pouliot) time to gel with that line. Now if Eller isn’t an ideal fit, then I think it would be about time to maybe separate the former pair of G&G.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s news.

232. light_n_tasty says:

I know it’s only 2 games in, but I’m already sick of the Markov-PK duo.  Markov spends most of the time staying back while PK rushes the puck up past the opposing team’s blue-line, before he turns it over.  Basically, all our best player can do is sit back and wait for the inevitable turnover.  I wouldn’t mind this if PK was better than Markov at being Markov.  But he’s not. So let Markov do his thing and put PK with someone else.

Markov with Gorges, or even better, Markov with Picard, while Hammr goes with PK and Spacek sits.

233. Shane1313 says:

ah! 100% agree man..I love P.K but the just dont mesh. They are similar players and Markov needs to be our number one guy. P.K is still growing but dont let him get in Markov’s way. PK and Hammer worked last year too

234. terrygain says:

Astute. Too bad we don’t have a big body, stay at home,  defenceman like Ryan OB to team with Markov.  PK played great with Picard. The coach didn’t notice. He is one dull boy.

It is not nearly as sickening as Gionta-Gomez duo. Not even in the same league.

236. MontrealAtheist says:

What has Markov ever done for us since he got back from his injury? It seems now that he’s back we are only losing games …

237. Propwash says:

Ok, can’t blame Price on this loss, thats a given, however it infuriates me to no end that there is next to nobody parked in front of their net that is able to freakin score!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

238. terrygain says:

No point being parked in front of the net if you are not winning the battles in the corners.

239. Bugs says:

Weird. Jacks didn’t need to be “parked in front of our net” to pop 3.

Let’s see: a top corner-goal off the rush from their star sniper, an finished power-play goal created by a cross-crease feed to the WIDE open side, and a converted breakaway, nope, none of’em “parked in fronta the net”.

For us: Spacek hit the post; Poolio didn’t finish. That’s it. Heck, you could say WE were MORE “parked in fronta the net” than the Jacks were.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

240. Badwich says:

Brutal is an apt description of the “brute’s” play. He’s only got two speeds. Slow and I get beat to the puck by every other player. Poor Josh.

241. mrstewart61 says:

He has a team worse -4 and would be a lot worse if not for playing with Gorges.  I’ve noticed that any time the puck is shot into Gill’s corner, Gorges cuts across to play it and Gill slowly covers any trailers.  Picard is +7 and would look a lot better next to Josh.  He’s 6’3″ so he could probably blocekd enough shots to make up for Gill’s weaknesses.  I sure hope they don’t resign him.  Every game he passes the puck directly to an opposing player at least once.  His passing is so weak!

———————————————————————————————————————- If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

242. LTHF says:

If anyone should be benched it is Gill.  He just plain brutal. Gave the puck away  to Nash on the first goal, and sitting on his ass, back to the play on the 2nd goal.  If any young  player did the same thing that he idoes consistently, they would be sent to the press box or minors. I cant see any aspect of his game that is an asset to the team. Some may say his size, well he plays like he  5’6″ and 120 lbs.

243. Seps says:

I dont mind losing so much as long as we put in a solid effort, but tonight was a very boring game besides watching Price make saves.  On the positive side great last minute from the Habs…

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

244. Propwash says:

I did turn off the game, after being down 2 zip.

“Wasn’t because we weren’t “parked in fronta the net” we didn’t win; it was because we played like crap and didn’t finish.”

Ok Ill elaborate on that…A little bit anyway, did you ever notice that our guys who should be able to pot rebounds more often than not are caught turning away from the bad guy’s net? Or is it just me???

“Except the Kid though; damn, he’s playin friggin great. Can’t say it ennough. Friggin thrilled over here.”

It’s hard to detect sarcasm on the net….not to throw accusations, but are you remotely insinuating that Price had much to do with this loss?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

245. Bugs says:

By “our guys able to pot rebounds:, you must mean “JUST POOLIO who had a chance to pot a rebound”, right? In which case, I don’t know how to answer that except to say that he was one of our most dangerous elements tonight and I don’t think JUST HIM not potting the rebound is the reason we lost, considering no one else had any such chance.

And, uh, I’m sorry to inform you that your sarcasmo-detector is on the fritz. Goin off when it shouldn’t. Kid’s playin friggin fantastic. What’s sarcastic about that?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

246. VancouverHab says:

Ahem. Pleks in the audio …. agrees with VancouverHab: that their line hasn’t played well & deserves the shake-up from Martin.

Note: I love Pleks & Cammi (and like AK), I just want to have the blame spread fairly….  And Price is doing well, in my opinion.

“….it is entirely possible to argue genuine differences of policy and values with conviction and passion while avoiding personal insult.” Ed Broadbent.

247. SeriousFan09 says:

In the two losses? No they haven’t played well but you know what? We’ve got wins because they did play well before, where’s Gomez or Gio saying they need to be broken because they aren’t working?

Time for Gomez to take the load on for a game or two.

248. MontrealAtheist says:

JM seems to be the only one who thinks that we played well and that Price ”played a strong game”. Markov has been disappointing since his return and should be benched for a game to give him some time to reflect on things, but of course that would require an actual coaching decision. Why on Earth did we let go Boucher and keep this dork?

249. VancouverHab says:

You know, you are absolutely right. I honestly can say nothing to that but “agreed.”

250. Laramy87 says:

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGLY…

I did like the Gio-Gomer-AK …… cammy-pleks-eller  combinations tho.

price played well, but what the hell is with this offence 1 goal in last two games, common guys

251. Bogie Man says:

Looking at the last 2 games, I would never of guessed at the end of last week that the Canadians the way they have been playing so till then that they would have lost against the Panthers and the Blue Jackets. Nothing against these teams but they did not have the same record and appeared to be less of threat then say the Islanders. Lat night’s game was simply brutal. We played poorly defensively and was not moving the puck fluidly. I counted 6 turn overs in the neutral zone within 5 mins of the second period. This is not the same team that was in first place last week in the league. I think the boys need a coach that can motiviate them to do their best every game, this low key calm approach all the time from JM is just not working when the boys are playing bad. I also think we are still missing that top 6 forward who can consitently find the back of the net. AK has been playing great, tonight’s performance aside. Cammi and Gionta need to find some rythm and the power play needs to start shooting the puck more. JM may be a good idea on the PP to move some of the big boys (Gil, Subban) up front as the king pin (guy in front of the net).

252. HabFanSince72 says:

You think Boucher (or any coach) would bench Markov after two games?

253. MTLForever says:

Price made key saves to keep the game 2-0 for a long period of time. Columbus should have never had those 2 on 1s, ridiculous.

254. AH says:

So……they’ve played their last 2 games with their FULL lineup; this wasn’t the last game of a back to backer, so what’s the excuse(s) for tonight’s debacle?

Shut out by Mathieu Garon; the same Mathieu Garon who couldn’t stick with the Oilers.

Nice one boys.

255. observer says:

same team that got shut out by the future hall of famer leighton 3 TIMES IN 5 GAMES.

256. volcano62 says:

I’m almost positive Halak would have kept us in the game 0-0 and we could have won this in OT. But I guess only the Blues have that privilige this season.

257. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay…

258. mike g says:

Hey dork…

Keep those insane comments for your friends. Don’t come on this great site and spew out that BS this morning.

Forget to take your medicine, or you still watching Halak videos all cuddled up in your basement?

259. Mattyleg says:

I’m almost positive this site would be more pleasant without idiotic postings like yours.

But I guess we are supremely unlucky to have that privilege this morning.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

260. sholi2000.com says:

Why do you never show up when the Habs win?

They Call Me Shane

261. nastyHABit says:

stop beating a dead horse!

262. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospect Report:

Bulldogs win 3-1 over the Manitoba Moose.

Pacioretty
    opened the scoring with Palushaj and Frederic St. Denis assisting,
    Mathieu Carle had the Game-winning goal off a Desharnais feed and
    Palushaj buried an EN insurance marker with assists by St. Denis and
    Pacioretty. Pacioretty was 1st star of the game, Carle was 3rd.
    Pacioretty has scored goals in 2 consecutive games.

263. observer says:

its a lower level, lower class of skill. its a minor league.

264. HabsMitch says:

Hoping for a Habs win, but a big game for Rick Nash. I love that guy…plus he’s in my pool

265. SeriousFan09 says:

Your intellect is in a lower league, what’s your point?

266. MTLForever says:

Not sure he realizes that these are guys that could be on the Habs later.

267. HabFanSince72 says:

How are your Leafs doing Tony?

268. adamkennelly says:

I’ll admit I didn’t watch this entire game – obvious that it was not going to turn out well and boring.  It did look to me like our Habs were tiny compared to the Jackets…small, kept on the perimeter, trying to force pucks into traffic…we had chances on O but not many good ones.  and our D was running around looking lost.

need some size up front – pretty much end of story.  get Darche off the freakin ice already – its embarassing.  Give OB a chance, bring White up and make a move for a top 6 ohh ya – and while were at it…fire JM.

269. j2w4habs25 says:

GO HABS GO!! :)

270. Kooch7800 says:

Habs will win tonight 4-2. Price will play well.  Not so sure about Spacek.

O’Byrne sits again.  What a waste. We need to make a trade as we have too many D men.

271. HabFanSince72 says:

There will be injuries. No need to trade until February.

272. terrygain says:

If the entire team isn’t scoring, it usually is the coach’s fault. It has taken Martin 12 games to realize Gomez and Gionta aren’t going to thrive with a checker on their wing. If Pouliot can’t play as a top six ( and he wasn’t given a fair chance) he can’t make a worthwhile contribution to this team. Martin is slow and stubborn. Like his supporters.

273. light_n_tasty says:

Uh…this is my point…he can’t do much for us other than cover for PK when they play together.

274. light_n_tasty says:

That goes without saying.

275. MTLForever says:

Love when the trolls come out.

276. CHHockeywife0996 says:

Looking for Mathieu Darche score another one tonight !