Game 10: Canadiens win in stunning comeback

Canadiens’ Alex Kovalev celebrates his second goal of the game, the game-winner in the third period, with teammates Tomas Plekanec (left) and Mike Komisarek.
Shannon Stapleton, Reuters

Audio: Higgins   Plekanec   Kovalev

Play-by-play | Faceoffs | Game Summary | Event Summary | Lineup | Game Story | Boone

Here’s a thought: the Canadiens set their clocks back an hour before tonight’s game, instead of after, and were an hour late showing up to play the New York Islanders.

Outskated, outshot, outplayed, outeverythinged for 40 minutes, the Habs stirred from their slumber in the third period.

And then some, roaring back from a 4-1 deficit to score four unanswered goals and earn a wild, highly improbable 5-4 victory on Long Island.

Boone: About last night …

Two third-period goals by Tomas Plekanec, his second and third of the season, the first of the year from Christopher Higgins, and the second of the game by Alex Kovalev completed the stunning comeback.

Kovalev had two goals and two assists and showed the efforts of his work with a bloodied cheek, taking an unintentional high stick from former teammate Mark Streit. Plekanec also had a pair of assists.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price, baffled by two Habs-deflected shots earlier, made three superb last-minute saves to preserve the win.

Montreal outshot their hosts 16-4 in the third period, 32-21 on the game.

To his credit, head coach Guy Carbonneau wasn’t gloating in his post-game comments, pleased that his club had the character to come back but far, far from pleased with the effort over the first two periods.

1. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Larock remains the champ, there was the intial tussling where Larock was waiting and keeping low, so it looked like he was losing!, but when they stood up (and this guy towered over larock) and started to send bombs, it was Larocks that found a mark…he left that fritz giant with a cut and bruise around the left eye…and as noted, Larock muscled him in the fall and was on top, where in less humane days he would have finished him off – Larock wins.

p.s. loved the way the Canadian bench were all leaning over the boards to watch the fight…its another element of Hockey, a “Skill” and Larock is on Par with Kovy.

1. The work of BGL will be key to our success this season…
    2. The Bell Centre should be rebuilt to hold 80,000…
    3. Kovalev is now in his prime…

2. Habsrule1 says:

It wasn’t much of a fight, but I don’t think Laraque even had to take a punch. He got a solid left in finally, and Laraque wound up on top. I’m not really sure how you saw he lost it, but it wasn’t much of a fight anyways.

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

3. bidds55 says:

To the amateur eye(or Islander commentator), it would appear BGL lost. However, he clearly landed the only really damaging blows. I would say a sub-par fight for BGL, but a draw at the worst. That Yao Ming looking mofo did handle himself pretty well though.

4. habs haven says:

I always cheer for the habs. I’m just being realistic. great comeback, but yes it was the Islanders. If we do it against, say Detroit or SJ, then I’m jumping in the air.

5. habs haven says:

his exact words were: ” he’s cocky and inept”. those remarks really pissed me off.

6. Tom S. says:

I watched the game on the Islanders feed.
    In the 1st intermission, Stan Fischler said that he doesn’t like Price. He called him arrogant and he thinks Carey’s a “stiff”.
    If I hadn’t heard it with my own ears, I wouldn’t have believed it.

7. Tom S. says:

Awesome comeback win, but the Habs should never have been behind by 3 goals – to the Isles, no less.
    Laraque looked awful and I thought he lost that fight.

8. jrshabs1 says:

C’mon man a win is a win and this is the NHL where everybody can beat anybody on a givin night. I think we all are taking this in stride, 8-1-1 is a great way to start the season, agreed? Maybe you need to get a little more excited and cheer not jeer for our beloved Habs.

9. craz11 says:

Hard to miss Streit when you’re 8-1-1.

I do feel for him though. It’s a shame that his talent is wasted on such a lousy team as the Islanders.

10. TC says:

Random Thought’s about tonight’s game from the Hockey News Canadiens Blog:

Habs Complete Improbable Comeback, Stun Islanders 5-4

T.C.
    tc.denault@habsworld.net

11. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Yes, that’s what’s on the home page, I just noticed.

My bookmark is set to the NHL page on TSN where they gave the Leafs the main headline. So, we got the home page story. I guess i shouldn’t complain, eh!

12. Number31 says:

Team’s character: Never give up. I’m glad they rallied back or this could have ended ugly…Like Rags failing 5-2 to the Leafs kind of UGLY. Frankly Islanders knew exactly who they had coming in, dealt with them and locked the Habs in their zone for 2 periods. But as soon as the smell of the comeback was delt, they were completely out of sorts. Gotta hand it to the Habs. It should have been a walk in the park, but frankly, the Islanders do have speed and skill and they forecheck hard. They took advantage of everything they got, but couldn’t contain the Habs for the final 20 minutes. If the Habs had been able to get out of their zone earlier, it would have been a different story.

And what was with the wet ice in the beginning of the 2nd? Did they pass the zamboni a second before starting? Geez…

Anyway, good for Super Pleky! Happy birthday and two goals for your hard work. Higgins of course with his goal at home ;D Kovy bleeds and scores some more! Price did what he could after facing a game’s load of shots by the end of the 2nd, and good on him to shut the door in the dying minutes.

I miss Streit though :(
    ******
    the notwithstanding clause – The general consensus of an ordinary Habs fan in Montreal

13. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Figures TSN makes the TO comeback [down 2-0] their headliner, calling them ‘the comeback kids’!

Montreal scores 4 unanswered third period goals to win [down 4-1] and they get secondary status!

14. CanadianPGA says:

Here’s what I know. I spent 2 hours playing super heroes and then 2 hours calming a rather irate 3 year old from hysteria to almost not screaming…nope; there’s more to come. I thought being Robin, then Hawkman (without wings) was the short draw…and I loved it!

Tonights game seems similar to me? I love the win but hope next time the super heroes play a little more like themselves from the hopper (I’d prefer Spider Man on defence, Flash at centre and my wingers would be The Dark Knight and The Man of Steel; add Green Lantern on “D” and Wonder Women between the posts…she deflects bullets regularily) This way there’s a little less screaming before the reverie.

Good on yah boys!

Note = The HULK is already in Montreal La-la-la ROCK!

15. coachdoug says:

That’s right it was the Islanders…alright 2nd best. Best this season though! Hate that we have such a long wait until the next game.

16. habs haven says:

We’re lacking a big shot from the point on the PP, and that’s why I thinkI we should bring up Weber to play on the PP. Time to maybe play Dandy on D instead of a struggling O’Byrne. I just wish the habs could learn to play a 60 minute game. If we’re playing a better team tonight, it’s a loss. So before we get too excited, remember that we a beat THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE! So let’s take it in stride, because it’s a team we should beat every time.

17. Laszlo says:

GO HABS GO!!

Just got home from a halloween party (3:40 am over here in Sweden right now), where I was dressed as…you guessed it….Saku Koivu… :) Anyhow, lovely news, this will help me get to sleep tonight. Nice to see that Kovalev seems to have found the net as well. Olé olé olé!

Vive le Bleu, Blanc et Rouge

18. carmine007 says:

I totally agree C-man!
    It was looking more and more like an ambarasement that I was going to face come Monday morning to a fellow Islander’s work mate.

Then came the the Third periode!! whooooaaaaaaa!!! Denis left the building and Pleks and Kovalev showed up!!! I’m, as always, concerned with Price’s habits. I’ll just leave it as Chrtismas came early and Thanksgiving came late sooo far on this road trip Ehhhhh!

Allez! Habs Allez!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

19. Habs64 says:

Nice comeback win for Les Habs! Keep it up the wins next weekend!

20. Willy the bum says:

Unbelievable, just unbelievable…

I tell ya, the Rangers comeback last year is no fluke, and the Habs really prove that tonight!

———-
    “We all wore the same costume as Maurice Richard did; the red-white-and-blue costume of the Montréal Canadiens, the best hockey team in the world.” – Roch Carrier

21. Bugs says:

Huuu-et! Huuu-et! Huuu-et!
    Peace Out
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

22. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Great comeback, but not better than last year’s vs. NYR.

Reasons:

a. it was 4 goals not 5

b. it was the Islanders

c. it was the Islanders

23. Craig_Mc says:

Who created the schedule for this season? After tonight the Habs don’t play until Friday, then it’s a game either ever day or every second day for two weeks.

24. Kaptain K says:

cut on the cheek was the catalyst…
    “dont make Kovy angry….you wont like him when hes angry”

CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLL…WHAt La- RAQUE…IS…COOKING!!

25. Kaptain K says:

PLaying a full 60 mins isnt nearly as exciting as playing 20 and winning..

CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLL…WHAt La- RAQUE…IS…COOKING!!

26. coachdoug says:

Habs rock! Pleks was awesome…guess tonight his slump is over for all the doubters. This is character play…after a horrible start they did not give up. Might be the best comeback ever…even better than last years five goal miracle. I wore my number 14 T-Shirt today all day to give Tomas some luck. Awesome!!!

27. Batalla says:

So what’s the catalyst for tonight’s game? Wassat, you say? Gui! on the 3rd line while Higgins goes to the first? Yup, that’s it…

And despite a few gaffs in the first, Carey Price (http://habsbros.blogspot.com/2008/11/plusminus-carey-price.html) was solid when it counted.

28. Big Bird says:

My few cents from the peanut gallery:

(1) Wow.
    (2) CH stands for CHaracter.
    (3) CH stands for CHampion.
    (4) Next time let’s play for a full 60 minutes, okay les Boys?
    (5) Be patient with our players especially our young ones.
    (6) Did I say Wow already?

:-)

29. Connecticut Man1 says:

I tune into the game late and the Habs, by all reports, hadn’t shown up YET. I said to my son, “They can come back from this. Just watch this 3rd period.” Meanwhile, during the 2nd intermission the announcers are talking about the “Beast of the East” Rangers, who had a 2 to zip lead on the Laffs.

I didn’t see the Rangers let the Laffs score 5 unanswered goals but the Habs were flying in the 3rd. Too bad they didn’t start the game that way.

30. Number31 says:

2-0 deficit isn’t much of a comeback… It’s called Rangers are lazy.

31. Number31 says:

Well, I miss him as the Swiss Mister Winger/PK Specialist. Not the rather mediocre Defenseman…

32. Number31 says:

Wow…who said this? The play-by-play guy? Talk about unprofessional…

33. Kristopher7 says:

Yup hehe

34. Kristopher7 says:

lol yes, BIG smile lol

35. jrshabs1 says:

Stan ate those words in the 3rd period and I’m sure he has a bad case of heartburn. There is no need to get pissed, Stan is an arrogant american who loves his boy Rick Dipietro and his 15 year contract.
    ’nuff said.

36. Xtrahabsfan says:

I’d call that a draw except for the fact the islander got a shiner and a cut plus theROCK WAS ON TOP OF THE BIG BASTARD TO END IT,and there you have it!

37. Kaptain K says:

Ive never seen Plecs and Kovy smile so much in my life

“Dont make Kovy angry…..you wont like him when hes angry”
    CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLL…WHAt La- RAQUE…IS…COOKING!!

38. Harani says:

on that pic…look at the look on Komi’s face…PRICELESS!

39. Tom S. says:

Yup, Laraque lost that fight!

40. Andrew says:

I just watched the RDS highlights…
    Did Laraque just get schooled in that fight with that giant?!?!

41. Tom S. says:

I think Fischler was referring to Carey being seemingly aloof (we call it calm) and the fact that he has let in some weak goals. He did it again tonight, losing a wristshot for, I believe the 4th Islander goal.

42. Garbo says:

Obviously doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Doesn’t reflect his personality or his style of play.

43. Tom S. says:

You’re right…I was paraphrasing.

44. nightmare_49 says:

Islanders Vets Not Content to Just Teach .. by Dan Matin ….. http://www.nypost.com/seven/11012008/sports/islanders/vets_not_content_to_just_teach_136271.htm ………………………………………… Sophomore Slumps a Myth to Carey .. by Craig Custance ….. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=480749 ………………………………………. Islanders Game Preview .. Four Habs Fans ….. http://fourhabsfans.blogspot.com/

45. Bradlo says:

Did you see the bench after the goal? I think if anything, last nights game was a team builder. Lets just hope that they dont get used to only playing one period.